API Study Abroad Program at the University of Westminster

API Study Abroad Program at the University of Westminster

API has partnered with the University of Westminster to offer students the opportunity directly enroll in one of the largest universities in London. Depending on your area of study, you will take courses in one of four campuses run by the University of Westminster. Every campus has its own individual character and is home to a significant international student body, its own library, and catering facilities.

When you're not taking classes you'll find that there is plenty to see and do in London, one of Europe's most vibrant cities. Within walking distance of campus is central London and many of the cities most famous landmarks, including the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the London Eye, Tate Modern and the British Library. API is proud to bring students this is an incredible opportunity to live and study abroad in England.

Students are also given the opportunity to take graduate courses at the University of Westminster through API!

Europe » England » London
Social Sciences
Sociology
Women's Studies
Statement of Purpose

Hi Linda, thank you for your question! You are welcome to start an online application on our website if you are looking to study abroad at University of Westminster in the coming year! As a part of the application process, on your behalf, we would send part of your application to Westminster who would be the ones to fully accept you into their university for your given session. Please let me know...

Allison
Boston, MA
Plymouth State University

API London

API London was a great program! I learned and explored so much during my time abroad and I could have done it without the help of the API London Staff. They were helpful before, during, and after my study abroad time. I loved the different excursions they took us on. Each one was unique and many of them were places I never would have known existed without their guidance. The encouraged us to explore on our own as well. Both of my program leaders were great and knowledgeable about the places we were going and even for giving tips of other places we should check out. I have recommended not only this program but API in general to other friends who agree that they provided the best experience and support for a study abroad student. If I had to do it over again (which I wish I could), I would choose API again.

mdiedri2
Chicago, IL
University of Westminster

Memories to Cherish

Studying in London was absolutely incredible. Living there is different from just visiting, but through the programs outings, meet-ups and support we were able to still go out and see all the things we really wanted to. I had an internship during this time, so I was able to get real-world experience while taking classes. I wasn't just visiting, I was living it. The support that API gave prepared me and eased me into the process so that I felt confident doing things throughout my time there. It also was a great way to have pre-planned trips so I didn't miss out on anything.

The biggest problem I faced had to do more so with people and the living space. Others in my program and outside my program were disrespectful and I felt that the University as well as the program didn't do it's best to facilitate or protect the students in certain situations. This is all understanding that they can't do everything, but there are certain things that they should have been more active in.

LCorbin
Ogden, UT
Georgia Southern University

The Summer Experience at Westminster

I studied abroad at the University of Westminster in London the summer of 2010. The experience was three weeks in a class called Literary London. I came to the study abroad feeling nervous about traveling alone, I didn't know anyone else in the program, and this was only my second time outside of the country. My short three weeks in London pushed me outside of my comfort zone, gave me independence, and taught me so much about literature and myself. I made some amazing friends I would have otherwise never met, or bonded so closely with. There is something about being out of your comfort zone that pushes you toward each other and helps you connect in a way that is so special. There were several programs studying at University of Westminster. (It is important to note that Londoners do not attend school in the summer, it was all students studying abroad. Mostly American but I met people from Russia, Asia, etc. So if you are looking to make friends with natives it's difficult to do in summer programs. Not impossible, but harder. The summer is a different experience for sure.) Being there as an API student made all the difference. As an API student I attended the school field trips to spectacular places with all of the other students at Westminster. But I also took SEVERAL extra field trips and activities with the API students and my API mentor. I got so much more out of my trip because I had the opportunity to do so much more....for FREE. (Well of course it's in the cost of your tuition.) I had support available to me 24/7 from my API mentor. Not that I needed it. I felt completely safe, and this is important to note coming from me. I am a perpetually nervous person. I had no concerns whatsoever being in the major city of London. I loved it! I was a tube ride away from school each morning, and the location was so close to all of the major shopping and city life of London. There was so much to do! I went out almost every night with friends, and had a blast enjoying all of the diverse foods available and the exciting adventures in the city. Now don't let that fool you. The course work is challenging! I took the class Literary London, which involved reading novels set in the city and taking field trips to the locations in the novels. What I appreciated most about the program is that my teacher would take us on field trips, buy the class cups of coffee and talk to us about our experiences and share her own. It was a small class in the summer and we got to know each other very well. It really helped in the learning process. You should keep in mind that grading is different in England and their expectations are much higher. I came to England with a 3.89 GPA and I really had to work to make an English B. (Which does get changed when you come home. I received an official A on my transcript.)But the best difference was that the final paper was due after the class was finished. I wrote my paper on the plane ride home. So I still had the freedom to go out and experience the city while I was there. I really appreciated that. My time in London gave me independence, I am no longer nervous to travel abroad by myself, I have the confidence that I can make my way in difficult situations. I made amazing friends. You may be nervous if you don't know anyone, but remember everyone is in that same boat. You tend to gravitate to each other. Making friends just isn't an issue, and when you do the bond is for life. I may not talk to them or see them everyday. But we will always have London. The class was challenging and pushed me to work harder than I ever have in normal class...but nothing compares to being in the city where your novels are set. London is a magical city with history steeped in every pore. You can walk the streets and picture people over the past few hundred years doing the same. Going through API I had the opportunity to do more and see the city, which after all was the main reason I was there.

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API Cultural Embrace and Aspire by API listings are now merged under