CAPA London: Study & Intern Abroad

CAPA London: Study & Intern Abroad

Though it’s just a hop across the pond, CAPA’s London program will always remind you that you’re somewhere new. Try and learn some new vocabulary (“boot” means “trunk”, “chips” are “fries”, and let’s not get started on “football” and “soccer”…) as you take the tube (subway) to class. As the city enters the modern age, it still perfectly maintains its old monarchical roots that kept the arts thriving. From notable literary works and paintings to up-and-coming fashion designers, London is the place to create new ideas among ancient walls.

We want you to get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA helps you customize your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers abroad are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help make you feel at home.

Europe » England » London
Cover Letter
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
Visa Requirement
The program fee includes tuition, housing, optional internship placement*, local transportation pass, access to the Imperial College Student Union and International Students House, a half-day panoramic coach tour of London, a full-day excursion to Stonehenge and Bath, and a full-day excursion to Stratford-upon-Avon and Kenilworth Castle, My Global City events, insurance, and CAPA services and support including a 24-hour emergency phone line.

*Internships require a Tier 4 visa, which is an additional cost upwards of $500 not included in the program fee.

Hayley

London's Calling!

This program was amazing. The classes were very inclusive and informative but also tons of fun! The administration were very helpful and supportive throughout my time abroad. They were also very eager to answer my questions and give me advice.

I loved my flat building. The only thing that was difficult to live with was the lack of air conditioning. But, we were warned about that before our arrival! I also lived about 30 minutes from CAPA which meant on the days I had class, I would have to get up earlier but that was not a problem for me.

When it comes to food, I am a picky eater but I was always able to find some kind of food to eat! Grocery shopping was a challenge at first but once I got in a routine, finding what I liked was easy.

My home institution (TAMUCC) was very supportive and encouraging before and during my time abroad. They helped me find classes that would transfer over for academic credit and they also let me watch a training video that prepared me for situations that could happen while I was abroad.

Overall, I felt safe in my host city. I would recommend getting a purse that hangs across your body so that it is constantly attached to you. Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you keep your personal items close to you, always!

I enjoyed spending money whenever I could on fun activities but I was always aware of my budget. It was not impossible to manage my money, you just need to have a plan! Make sure you don't go over board. You have plenty of time to spend money on souvenirs, focus on enjoying your time abroad first!

My time spent with this program was truly incredible. This program was the perfect fit for me, as was this city! I am so thankful that I was able to meet such wonderful people and take interesting classes in the beautiful city of London.

This experience helped me learn that I am fully capable of being independent. I learned more about who I was as a person and how I handle different situations during my six weeks abroad. I am more confident in myself thanks to this experience.

I wish I would have known that six weeks goes by a lot quicker than you think. Make the most of every second in this incredible city!

One thing that stood out to me was the fact that my flat was about 35 minutes away from CAPA which added up. I am a morning person, so for me it wasn't a huge deal. My friends, however, struggled with getting up extra early in order to get to class on time.

I would also keep stressing the fact that the air conditioning in London is very limited. I read about that in the packet but didn't actually take it seriously until I realized how hot my flat really was.

But overall, I loved this program.

Montana Christy
Siena College

Study Abroad in London

There is a perfect amount of coursework involved in this program. It is not too much where you feel like you cannot handle it, but it is enough to feel like you are actually getting something out of it. The professors are all really helpful and recognize that you are studying abroad, so they want to help make it the best experience possible! There are a number of classes which have field studies or out-of-the-classroom excursions where you can experience what you are learning about firsthand. This allows you to see so much of your host city that you wouldn't have even known about it. The staff and administration at CAPA are all very helpful and kind. At some points it was a little annoying how much they contacted the students. However, they stay on top of you for a good reason and are just looking out for you. They do all they can to make it a great experience for everyone who is there. The living arrangements were smaller than someone is probably used to, but that was expected. A few people in my complex had mice in their flats. However, that was not the case for my flat. The housekeeping each week helps a lot to keep the place clean! Great location, close to the tube as well. London is a very safe city. The crime that happens is more pity crime compared to the US. Therefore, it is perfectly fine to be out and about on your own, within good reason obviously. The most important thing to worry about is getting your phone stolen. People will grab it out of your hands on the street and the police can do little about it. The internship was a very beneficial experience and allowed me to grow and develop professionally. I also loved how diverse and global London is and am glad I was able to be in that type of environment.

I am overall satisfied greatly with this program. There is nothing that I can specifically think of that could be improved. I was very happy with my time here. The only think that may improve it is even more opportunities for students to engage with London. There were already a ton, but there is always room for more! Some students also may have had to miss some due to traveling, so having chances for activities within the city more frequently could potentially make it better. But this is just in the case that some people missed some. I was able to make it so many that I feel fulfilled with this aspect!

Denise

Best opportunity of my life!

It was the best opportunity of my life and I would do it over again in a heartbeat if I could. I learned more things about myself professional and personally within 6 weeks more than I have at my 2 years in college. I found a passion in the work that I did at my internship and I found such a love for cities and for traveling. CAPA was the perfect program for me. The length was just enough for me to get acclimated into London but also I was able to leave before I got too home sick. The costs were not too expensive and it offered me everything I wanted in a study abroad experience (to live in an apartment and be with other Americans, to have an internship, and to take classes).
I took one class over the course of 6 weeks and it was SO AMAZING. It was called "Analyzing Global London" and I can't imagine living in the city without having taken this class. I learned so much about different neighborhoods and explored and took field trips to parts of London I wouldn't have visited otherwise. I also learned so much about the history of the place and analyzed it more than the normal Londoner so I feel like I got to understand the environment a lot better.

Brianna
New York
Mount Saint Mary College

Best Experience of My Life!

Studying Abroad in London has been the greatest experience of my life. I got to do so many different things that I never thought I would've been able to do. London, England is almost like New York City except the people in London are nicer and they also drive on the opposite side of the road (something that took some time to get used to). The courses I took were taught by my home college professors and I took classes with students from my school. Classes were given at the CAPA center which is located in the borough of Kensington. I took two classes while in London and these were each held on one day a week, so one course was held on Monday from 9am -4pm and the other was held on Wednesday from 9am-4pm. Though I didn't mind having a four day weekend, it would've been better to have the classes two times a week so everything wasn't being crammed into one day. But trips were incorporated during class time so we never actually sat all day in the classroom. One of my favorite trips was to Westminster Abbey because it is amazing to know how many famous/royal/important figures in British history are buried inside and also that Prince William and Kate got married there. Something amazing was going to Stonehenge and Bath during a day trip planned by CAPA. Being at these locations didn't even feel real and my pictures look like I cropped myself into them. I lived in a dorm/ apartment owned by Notre Dame University and that is located almost directly across from Waterloo Station, one of the biggest in London. Taking the tube became a normal everyday occurrence since it was such easier to hop on a train and get where you needed to be in a few minutes. I studied abroad during the summer and the weather could not have been any more perfect. It only rained for one full day and a few times at night so don't believe the rumors that it's always rainy in London. One of the best things that I got to experience was going to Trooping the Colour, which is the Queens birthday celebration. At this parade I got to see the Queen and the entire royal family and it is something that i will remember forever. Something to always remember is that in London, pedestrians do NOT have the right away: people on bikes will not stop for you and will run into you if you are in their way and people on mopeds will drive on the sides of other cars to get to the front so they can take off first. But studying abroad is an experience that you will never forget. Though I experienced ups and downs during my time abroad I would not ever traded my time in London for anything.

Megan
Shanghai, China
Mount Saint Mary College

Study Abroad: China

If you're a travel geek like me I highly recommend this program because how many people can actually say they went to China. Not only does studying abroad look good on a resume, for most going abroad is a once in a life time experience, where you can gain independence, responsibility and become culturally educated. I highly encourage anyone who remotely interested to take the opportunity because it is unforgettable and you also gain close friends while abroad. I also want to include, CAPA made all the application processes very easy by giving us step by step instructions on what to do.
I studied abroad mainly in Shanghai, China, but I did visit other cities as well such as Beijing, Wuzhen, and Hangshan. Myself and 20 other students from my school lived at East China Normal University for about a month and stayed in a hotel in Beijing for 2 days. The dorms were very nice and modern even though it did take us a while to figure out the Wi-Fi and the heating system. We had both a guide and a translator from CAPA with us for the majority of the trip, which was really helpful and CAPA was also gracious enough to all us to visit many popular sites in China, like the Great Wall, temples, the Yu Garden and the Bund. In addition, we tried some traditional Chinese food like frog, lychees and many different types of fish. I highly recommend taking a trip to Coco Party which is like a little cafe in Shanghai that has amazing milk shakes and sandwiches. My favorite memory is when about 7 of us decided to go to Yellow Mountain. The views were breath taking and you also get a good work-out. Overall, I enjoyed the entire trip and I hope to travel to more places in the future.

I would say can improve on the method of transportation, especially with a big group because some of us were separated from the group when riding the metro and I wish we had more time to admire the sites and I personally often felt rushed.

Victoria
NY

The Time of My Life

Choosing to study abroad with CAPA was the best decision of my life. I had the opportunity to be fully immersed in the incredible city of London. Through the CAPA program, I was able to live and work in a global city, which left me with so many wonderful memories that I will cherish forever. The CAPA program arranged an internship for me based on my qualifications, major, and interests; and I could not have been more pleased with my internship placement. I was able to work at a leading global engineering company alongside the Business Development Team, which provided me with great exposure to the world of business. My internship allowed me to network and create lasting connections with my coworkers that will better my opportunities for my future career endeavors. While I was abroad, I really enjoyed the tightly knit community that the CAPA program provided. CAPA ensured that all the students felt comfortable and safe every step of the way by providing constant support. I was able to create memories with the other students in the program through various CAPA led excursions and trips around or outside of the city. My time abroad in Europe was such a rewarding and life changing experience. Being able to live and work in a foreign global city taught me so much about different cultures, and taught me a lot about myself as well. My time in London allowed me to grow infinitely as a person, as I gained a new found sense of independence and appreciation for the world. Going abroad made me more aware of how the world works on a larger scale. I was exposed to an entirely different culture and way of life, which forced me to adapt and grow into a more well- rounded version of myself. Being able to navigate myself around a new city and work with a global company gave me a sense of purpose and shaped me to be open to new possibilities and opportunities. In my opinion, there is no better way to find and create oneself than to immerse oneself in an entirely new and foreign culture. I am forever grateful for the life changing experience that CAPA provided me with.

N/A

Erica
Amherst, Massachusetts

CAPA Internship with DEC PR & Communications in Sydney

CAPA The Global Education Network allowed me not only to study abroad down under in Australia but also found me an awesome internship based on my own personal interests and major. They did an awesome job by placing me with an internship with DEC PR & Communications right in the heart of the CBD in Sydney. I was able to work with individuals from all over the world and get involved with representing and marketing for clients within the national and international level.
A list of my responsibilities as an intern at DEC PR & Communications included:
• Researched information for projects and goals the company concerning the optimized representation of clients and organizations.
• Partook in brainstorming and creative writing for social media, blog posts, and pitch ideas for promoting clients/products.
• Collaborated with the following brands: Coca Cola, Trivett Bespoke Luxury Cars Australia (RollsRoyce, Bentley, Aston Martin, and McLaren), Club Med, Frasers Property, Melbourne Airport, Palmolive, and Mirvac.

I am so grateful for this experience to not only study but work abroad in another global city of my choosing. CAPA did an excellent job with pairing relevant classes for students to take (I took Intercultural Communication and International Dimensions of Organizational Behavior), sorting out student housing in a modernized student housing apartment, hosting fun group events & activities, and ensuring the safety and overall quality of my experience in Australia.

Therefore I would like to give a big shout out & thank you to CAPA The Global Education Network! I would definitely recommend studying/interning abroad with this unbelievable program which is currently offering programs in London, Florence, Dublin, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, and Sydney.

I think this program should expand to more global cities and nations around the world to step up their international outreach and interest of students who want to study and work abroad.

Carly
Dallas, TX
University of Missouri- Columbia

The best experience of my life

My flatmates and I absolutely fell in love with a little festival right by the London Eye, called Udderbelly. We always met here after our internships and grabbed a drink, sitting amongst the locals and completely blending in. It was amazing that nobody had to know we were American. We would always walk along Southbank and explore, walking along the Millennium Bridge, staring at Shakespeare's Globe, taking touristy pictures with Big Ben, etc. It was those daily, small things that really made my trip the best experience of my life.

Nina
New York

Growing Experience

My experience abroad was amazing and I wish I could have studied abroad for a year. I learned a lot about myself within the short time I was abroad. I learned to ask questions and talk to people who might not be similar to me. Although, it was very difficult because we came from different backgrounds, I learned a lot through the conversations I had with others. In addition, I learned to take the time to talk to others and explain myself. Sometimes, I find it difficult to speak but my boss took the time to listen to what I had to say. From that experience I reevaluated my life and the things I've done and my habits. As a result, I have taken the time to talk to people who are different from me and explaining myself clearly.

The program has done a great job in providing for the students.

Kylie
Poughkeepsie, NY
Rider University

A Life-Changing Experience

Studying abroad with CAPA was, truly, one of the best decisions I have ever made. When I began the process of finding a program to study in London with, there were a few things that I know I wanted: To live in a flat in the city, to be able to travel, and to have an internship. I found that CAPA would be able to give me all of these choices, and I made my decision.
My time abroad was the first time out of the United States, and I knew it would take some time to adjust. CAPA made it easy for all of its students, by offering tours of the neighborhoods we lived in– including the best grocery stores and Tube stations to take– guided explorations around the city, and by offering small group meetings and orientations at CAPA, to make sure everyone felt comfortable, and knew they had people they could go to if they needed help.
I was very busy during my weeks abroad– between classes in the morning, going to my TV station internship in the afternoon, and then having to cook my meals, do my laundry, homework, and find some time to relax– but it was incredibly worth it. The education I received from my classes, and internship, were one of a kind, and often used London as a classroom setting, which was incredible.
Even though I was busy, I made sure to take time each day to explore. Some days I would just get on the Tube and get off a station I didn’t know and, safely, see what I would find. Around CAPA’s campus are tons of museums (which are free), parks, and other things to explore. I never spent an entire day in my flat– London had too much to offer.
Another great thing about being in London is that it is cheap and easy to travel to other places in Europe. During the three and a half months I was there, I got to travel to Paris, Dublin and Galway, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Florence, and Edinburgh. I experienced things I had dreamed of, as well as moments I had never even thought possible. I met family members who lived in Ireland, sang on the steps of Sacré Coeur in Paris, saw every famous landmark, tasted the most amazing food, and danced every night away. Sure, sometimes we got lost, sometimes it was hard not speaking the native language– but we figured it out, and it made every experience more memorable and educational.
I know the friends I made while I was abroad will stay friends forever– we experienced so much together, and share an incredible bond over this amazing chapter in each of our lives.
To anyone who is considering studying abroad: I could not recommend it enough. It changes the way you see the world and people around you, and the way you live your life. Not every day will be easy, but it is worth it, and you will fly home with memories and friends that will last a lifetime– and an outlook that will positively affect every day to come.

Andrew
Methuen,MA
Clark University

Interning, Learning, and Living in London

During my semester abroad in London, I Learned more than I ever thought I would, and not just in the classroom. I learned a ton about the world I am living in. I learned that a lot of the struggles and challenges we face as Americans are not at all the same thing that people in other parts of the world struggle with. This experience opened my eyes to all the great things I have had a privilege to and taught me to be fortunate for this. I would say this was definitely a worthwhile experience.

Carly
Lansdale, PA
Emerson College

CAPA International: Cheap & Meaningful Abroad Experience!

My school had a lot of different options when it came to studying abroad, but choosing an external program to travel with was definitely the best option for me. Not only did I get to live and study abroad, but I got to extend my friend circle to people outside of my home university. Studying with CAPA meant that I had classes with students from all over the US, and interacted with staff from all over the world, not just London!

The perks for studying with CAPA were also incredible. We were automatically included in the student union at Imperial College London, which meant we could join any of their clubs, sports, or activities. We also received Oyster cards with tuition, which meant that I never had to worry about having the money to travel in / around London.

The staff was extremely supportive the entire time I was there, which allowed me to study, travel, and keep my GPA up! Most (if not all) professors took us out and around the city every single week, which helped make sure we weren't just being bogged down into a classroom. I visited almost every major museum, saw three plays, and toured Mosques and Churches during class! These were all things I would've done in my free time and on my own bill anyway, but with CAPA I didn't have to!

CAPA was also extremely supportive in helping me schedule classes beforehand, making sure there was no wasted time / credits earned.

I adored my CAPA experience, and I encourage anybody who wants to study abroad on a budget to check them out!

The only way I could think of improving this program would be expanding it's course catalog. Although I was able to complete all my general education requirements while I was in London, I wasn't able to take any courses directly pertaining to my major.

Rachel
Hopewell Jct

Interning Abroad

Through CAPA London I partook in the internship program and it was an excellent decision. I was paired with ThinkersPR a public relations and marketing firm. There, I was the public relations and communications intern. I gained great professional development and made lasting connections. I miss working there everyday and I looked forward to going to work everyday. I managed the social media for our clients and did research for the rest of the public relations team. I got to partake in many client meetings and was involved like I was another coworker, not an intern.

CAPA London could be improved by reevaluating their professors. CAPA London should also do an overall of their Learning Through Internship programs. It is an important program to have but could be used more beneficially.

Jill
Duxbury, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

The Most Enriching, Educational, and Fun Experience

My experience in London with CAPA was better than I ever could’ve dreamed of. I learned how to live in a global city, made incredible memories and friends, interned with a transnational company, and developed personally and professionally. Study abroad as a whole is an enriching, once-in-a-lifetime experience that needs to be taken advantage of.

I didn’t expect to gain so many skills, technical work-related ones and softer ones, but I did and I will take them with me for the rest of my life. I got relevant international work experience in my desired field while also becoming more confident, independent, mature, and able to work with people from diverse backgrounds.

CAPA was the perfect fit for me, largely in part due to the internship component and their emphasis on personal and professional development. I knew ahead of time that I want to pursue an internationally-focused career, so doing an international internship was a great starting point for me. Not only did CAPA place me at a site that perfectly aligned with my career goals, but they taught me how to articulate my study abroad and work experience in a professional, in-depth way, which is more difficult to do than I initially thought.

CAPA provided a lot of great inclusions, including an Oyster Card for the tube and bus so I didn’t have to pay for public transport, a London Pass which granted me free entry to 5 attractions (including the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey), field trips around the city and to Brighton, My Global Education events to teach me more about the dynamic components that make up a global city, and discounts on cultural events such as a Rugby Game at Wembley Stadium and West End plays.

I would highly recommend the CAPA London program to everyone!

The required class that complements the internship was dry, but the material was useful. However the class has been revamped since I took it. Aside from that, nothing!

Lydia
Philadelphia
Albright College

Lydia In London!

I chose the CAPA Program because it is linked with my college, Albright. I am allowed to take a full class load when I cross the sea and explore the unknown world of London. This program gives me the option to “personalize the experience” by allowing me to both take a full load of courses and participate in an internship or service learning opportunity. It was a dream come true to intern in London, and the CAPA program helped me fulfill a dream. My favorite part about London was that it is a fashion influenced city. London is simply in style. Pops of colors come from tall beautiful flowers growing out of window boxes. Colorful row houses stand tall on a long narrow street. London is also home to a vast number of parks. From High Park to St. James Park, you can walk from tall city buildings into the peaceful world of nature in a matter of minutes. The mix of city and country makes London a very interesting place to live and work. CAPA is global. CAPA offers programs in London, Dublin, Buenos Aires, Florence, Shanghai, and Sydney. Students should know that they can capture the world with CAPA. CAPA is very helpful and informative when it comes to studying abroad. They have been global leaders in studying abroad since 1972. They also offer internships, which out of the ten percent of American students who study abroad only three percent intern abroad.
Going to London was the best decision that I have ever made. The three and half months that I spend in the UK and traveling helped me see the world. It helped me checked off cities on my bucket list, meet new people, and become a citizen of the world. I got the experience how to work, live, and learn in an international city. This experience has forever changed my personal and academic life. As a CAPA Ambassador, I one hundred percent would recommend the CAPA London Program to other students. On my college's campus, I have talked in classrooms, given info sessions, and helped at a table held at our study abroad fair. The CAPA Program is life changing and has been ranked top in study abroad websites. I am very pleased that Albright partnered with CAPA to give me and other students a chance to capture the world.

Rachel
Rock Island, Illinois
Augustana College

London

London was an amazing place to study abroad, I had no idea I would fall in love with a place the way I fell in love with London. CAPA was a wonderful program. I learned so much in my international marketing class and they could not hove found me a more perfect internship. Leaving London was one of the saddest things I have done, if it were up to me and not my 4-tier VISA I would have stayed forever.

Jeanne
Frederick, Maryland
Hood College

A Semester of Growth and Independence

My semester in London with CAPA was the best time of my life thus far. I loved the city, the people and the CAPA school. The classes I took with CAPA were some of my favorite courses I have taken in my college career. While they were not as academically challenging as I am used to from my home school, the experience was much greater and well-rounded than what I can achieve in the States. I chose 2 of my courses at CAPA specifically for the trips because I wanted to be able to learn from the city as much as possible. My classes really took advantage of the fact that we were in London, which I loved. The most trips I got to take was with 20th and 21st Century Modern Art. Every other week we were going to the National Gallery, Royal Academy of Arts or the Tate, and then we were back in the classroom for the next. There is nothing on the same level as learning about Van Gogh in class and then visiting that painting in a gallery the next. One of my favorite trips was through British Broadcasting Today. Near the end of the semester we toured the BBC, rehearsed a radio show and were the audience for “The One Show” that night. My first time on television, and it was in the UK! Just being in the BBC was a dream for me, and it was one of the greatest experiences CAPA gave me during my short 4 months in London.

The MyEducation events were amazing, but I wish there were more trips outside of London to get us outside the city. That would probably require raising the fees though.

Kyle
Loudonville, New York
Siena College

Interning and Living in London; The Global City

The CAPA London Internship Program is a great opportunity for students to gain international internship experience. There are placement options for students of all majors. The professional connections and skills gained through my experience were invaluable to my professional development. Participating in CAPA's internship program is vital to one's cultural immersion in London. Due to the fact that students live and take classes with other American students, aside from interacting professors and those you meet on the street, the relationships students form with their coworkers will be their best exposure to British culture. If you are looking to only take classes, I recommend studying abroad at a university in London, not with a study abroad only program, like CAPA. Living in London allows students to observe the vast cultural differences in London. You can turn the corner and feel like you are in a different country. Classes are immersed in study abroad. Students can take theater classes that include excursions to see plays and tour theaters on the West End. Additionally, the Analyzing and Exploring London class allows students to gain first-hand knowledge of the issues Londoners have been faced with past and present. Living conditions are far superior to those of other students living in London. Apartments are spacious and are cleaned once a week by a cleaning service. I had the opportunity to live in Camden Town, a bustling center of counter culture. There was always something to do; there is access to eateries, a supermarket, a pharmacy, a cell phone service, and the infamous Camden Market is right around the corner. The social life in London was great. There is plenty of time to explore the pubs and go clubbing on the weekends. The CAPA London student council puts on great social events, such as a boat party on the River Thames. I met some great friends through my time at CAPA London. Overall, I would give CAPA London a 9/10. I really had a great experience. I learned a lot and have a ton of fond memories. I would not trade my study abroad experience for the world.

One way in which I feel that CAPA can improve their program would be to increase communication with students prior to their departure from the United States for London. I really feel like I had no clue what exactly the program entailed until I was there.

Allison
Davenport, Iowa
St. Ambrose University

AMAZING PROGRAM!

My study abroad experience with CAPA London was better than I ever anticipated. You hear of a lot of people who go abroad and say it was a "life-changing experience." And this really is the case for me. The CAPA staff, in London and Boston, were extremely helpful each step of the way--from the application to commencement. I absolutely loved living in London. The flats in Shepherd's Bush were in a good part of town and Tube stations were easily accessible. They also pay for your transportation within London which is really helpful. I took Advertising in Britain and British Broadcasting Today and found both of the classes to be beneficial. We could actually go on field trips in the city and see concepts we had been learning in class. My favorite was visiting the BBC.They also have great connections within the city for internships. For example, I am a tv broadcast major and interned at a local tv station that broadcasts charities. However, probably the best part of CAPA for me was the cultural activities and My Education Events. These were planned events or excursions led by CAPA. For instance, I saw Les Miserables, went to a rugby match, took walking tours of various neighborhoods, and took a boat cruise down the Thames. After 3 months of living in London, I didn't want to leave and I wouldn't trade my experience with CAPA for anything.

Alex
Boston, Massachusetts
Stonehill College

Amazing Study Abroad Experience! (thanks CAPA)

If you're looking for a program to intern and study abroad in a global city- CAPA's the perfect choice. CAPA provides a holistic program giving you the chance to intern in a workplace (relevant to your field of study) with the city's locals. In classes with other Americans I was able to meet other students from across the US and make great friends. The internship placements were great and the few students I knew that weren't happy with their placements didn't give it a chance. Be open minded and you'll be able to take something away from your experience! My internship in finance is a great addition to my resume. Furthermore, I was gaining hands-on experience relevant to what I'm studying (accounting) and I really clicked with the team at my site. As for academics, I took a course for my major, one for my minor and one about London. All were great. In my British Broadcasting class we toured the BBC and even got to be the live studio audience of the One Show which was aired on TV! That was very fun. The course I took about London had many field trips around the city to places like Trafalgar Square, Museums and The Olympic Park. All were great, they gave me a new perspective on the city and allowed me to see some of the city's hidden gems. London's an amazing city and CAPA was the perfect choice for me, knowing I wanted to intern with locals and study with other US students. CAPA cares about every student in the program and provides many opportunities to travel (with a travel fair with companies offering trips and some trips around the UK are even included). The unlimited tube pass (zones 1-2) that comes with the program is a huge perk! You'll be able to travel around the city with ease. I highly recommend CAPA to anyone looking to grow personally and professionally through study abroad.

The downside to my experience was the Learning through Internships class which is required for anyone interning to take. It's a 1.5 hr class once a week and we discussed our successes and failures at our internships. We were also lectured on difference topics about workplace culture and organizational behavior. It was difficult for me, as a finance intern, to relate to students whose internships were shadowing a professional (like a photographer). There were papers and assignments in this course which were graded like a regular academic course which added unnecessary stress. I know CAPA talked about how they change this course up every once in a while so they are working to improve this aspect of the program.

I was also nervous about not having time to travel like my other friends abroad since I was interning 3 days and taking classes 2 days each week. I planned my internship hours around my travel plans, though, and if you plan ahead like that, the internship site supervisors will be very understanding! I ended up being able to go to 9 countries outside the UK during my time so traveling is possible and encouraged! (plus the weeklong break is perfect for a longer trip) My professors and colleagues at work all loved hearing about the places I went.

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome