CAPA London: Study & Intern Abroad

A perfect view of London from the famous London Eye!
A perfect view of London from the famous London Eye!
London Tower Bridge
London Tower Bridge
Harrod's
Harrod's
Camden Town
Camden Town
This is the kitchen in my flat. The laundry is located in the kitchen in almost all flats of London. There are also no dryers, just washers.
Big Ben
here are some pictures from the Great Wall, and old water town, a temple, Yellow Mountain, the Bund and Shanghai Tower (the 2nd tallest building in the world)

With more than 270 nationalities living in London and more than 300 languages spoken, it is a truly diverse, multicultural city where influences from across the globe are woven throughout almost every aspect of life. London is a hub of innovation with a thriving arts scene, emerging fashion designers and an entrepreneurial tech crowd to rival that of Silicon Valley. It’s also a city steeped in history with evidence of events and life from centuries past.

The CAPA London program is in our own center, inside two connected Victorian townhouses, located in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration.

You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, My Global City events, and an (optional) internship placement.

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

The course cost will depend on the program duration and term, along with your home institution and their payment policies. An online application is required for all programs, but the rest of the application materials will vary depending on what institution you currently attend.

CAPA offers part-time and full-time internship opportunities across our global city locations in conjunction with our undergraduate, academic summer and semester study abroad programs. There are a variety of different placement opportunities available, many of which do line up with the interests of students who are studying English language and literature degrees. We ask students to stipulate...

Joshua

Fall 2019 Study Abroad

The CAPA program is overall a great program to participate in. CAPA definitely helps you adjust to the new city and environment by supplying so many things to do and giving advice about nearly any topic. Academically the professors are very smart and super easy to work with. I love the trips that I got to take and overall has a great time. I think the biggest thing when choosing CAPA is to really get outside your comfort zone. If you do not try to adjust and be cooperative you will not have a good time. CAPA was a great program and I would highly recommend it.

The only thing I would approve is the housing. Not everyone was given a nice place to live.
Anna

Incredible Place and Program To Study

My program at CAPA was overall a success in that all my courses were tailored to my interests and the internship placement was ideal for my career path. The success of the internships varied drastically depending on the person and the company they were paired with, but the CAPA Internships team was generally pretty good about contacting companies if there were any issues. I lived in Camden and housing for me was incredible. The apartment was very modern and the cleaning service that was provided once a week was so helpful. I do wish they had more provided kitchenware and storage, and unfortunately my bedroom had three girls in it, but it wasn't an issue. The excursions and added benefits were nice and there were lots of resources for students. I went on field studies all around the theatre scene in London, including tickets to Mamma Mia, The Woman in Black, The Taming of The Shrew, and a backstage tour at The National.

I would like the housing coordinators to tell students not only check in times but also check out times for the apartments. It was really inconvenient to be forced to leave by 10am on departure day and having a 5pm flight because I wasn't told when we'd be expected to leave on the last day of the program when booking flights.
Kelsey

Best time of my life!

Being able to study, work and live in a foreign country was the best decision I've ever made. While I was in London, I took two classes (International Marketing and a class regarding internships) and interned in Human Resources at the Marriott Hotel in Canary Wharf. This internship has by far been my favorite work experience in the sense that the work environment was great and I learned a lot about HR that I didn't know before, developing a new found passion for the field. A few resources that CAPA provided were housing situations that were within a close proximity to the whole city and unlimited use Oyster cards for the duration of the program, making it very easy to travel around the city. Not only did I gain personal and professional skills needed to live in a different country, but I acquired frienships and memories that I'll never forget.

Make sure to set aside enough time for schoolwork but also for traveling and other fun activities. Going to Europe may be a once in a lifetime opportunity so definitely take advantage of the close proximity of other countries. That being said, make sure all assignments are done on time so you don't have to worry about them when you're out and about.
Jackie

Had a great time in London with CAPA!

I went abroad with CAPA on a 6-week summer trip to London. I had a part-time internship in digital marketing and took two classes, a history class about London as a global city and a professional development class. Overall, I had a great experience! We lived in a nice flat in Camden and had a reasonable commute by Tube or bus to class and work. The CAPA staff was great with offering any support needed, whether it be with finding a good internship or helping you plan a fun weekend trip. They planned some great events, like a trip to Wimbledon and a royal bike tour. London was a great place to be in the summer. There were plenty of great things to do around the city - and many of them were cost effective or free! I enjoyed all of the food markets and just walking around the beautiful parks on the weekend. Completing an internship abroad was something I wanted to do and am glad I chose to go with CAPA!

Mimi

London Stole My Heart

My experience in London was absolutely incredible! This is a joint trip with the University of Missouri School of Journalism, so it was great to have support through my school and through CAPA. Our class with CAPA was amazing, and our professor brought us all over London. The fact that our class was so involved in learning about the different parts of London made the program that much better. We were out and about in London and Richard, our professor, had such an extensive knowledge about London that it made me much more comfortable to explore the city. We lived in Camden, which was housing provided by CAPA and we all loved it. It was super edgy and fun and was full of cool food markets and shopping. Also, CAPA was instrumental in connecting me with my internship, and it was the best internship I could have asked for.

I had a great experience with CAPA! I can't think of anything that needed to be improved within my program.
April

Summer 2019 in London

The experience that CAPA provided me was a once in a life time opportunity. It really helped me grow as a student, a professional, and a culturally aware member of society. It pushed me completely out of my comfort zone and forced me to gain skills and confidence. Having an internship with a company in another country allowed me to widen my perspective and work with people from all over the world. I never thought I would get to work with people from Ireland, Britain, Russia and Mexico all in the same office, but CAPA gave me that chance. There were times where I felt CAPA was a little unorganized and had a communication disconnect between them and my company. Despite that, I got so much out of this experience and would do it all over again.

I think CAPA could improve with their communication. Before I left for London there were days where I had no idea what I needed to get done before leaving. This included things like how to get a Visa or what airport to book my flight into. I ended up getting a lot of help from CAPA representatives, but I felt like they could have made the process smoother for us students.
Whitney

London and More!

I studied abroad in London for 3 months. While I was abroad I had the chance to go to 9 additional countries and experience a multitude of different cultures. I interned and volunteered while abroad. I spoke with many people about how Brexit was affecting their lives and their experiences migrating to the UK. In a manner of 3 months, I grew as a person and became more independent. I traveled all over with two friends and we became super close throughout the entire semester. Aside from the staff at CAPA and my friends, my biggest support system while in London was my host family. They were there to answer any questions I had and to help me when I and my friend lost our travel cards. Having a host family was the best decision I made while abroad, and I can't wait to go back to see them.

Plan well in advance. My friends and I traveled through Italy and Greece during our midterm break, we did this for about $600 per person accommodations and travel included. Some of our other classmates took similar trips and waited too long to book, they had to pay twice as much for the same trip.
Liliana

A Life Changing Experience

I had the opportunity to study abroad with CAPA in London in the spring of 2018. Deciding to study abroad was definitely out of my comfort zone but I knew I had to take the leap to further my learning and I am very glad I did. CAPA was very hands on throughout the whole application and pre departure process. I received a number of materials that answered all of my questions prior to crossing the pond. I wasn't very close with anyone else from my school who went to London but CAPA helped me find my community through my roommates, classmates, and also through cultural and social events put on throughout the semester. There were a number of walking and boat tours around the city and events such as curry nights and tea and biscuits in the CAPA center every Tuesday. These events gave us a little taste of the city and British culture. It is important to immerse yourself in the culture of your host country to get the most out of your experience. I even got sick while I was in London and the CAPA staff helped me book a doctors appointment right away, they were very helpful. Throughout my new living and learning environment in London, I was able to learn a lot about myself and the world around me. My experience abroad even led me to a career path in global education. I would love to work for CAPA one day and maybe even move back to London :)

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
While I was in London there was a light festival throughout the city called Lumiere London. The festival spans over 4 nights and showcases the architecture and streets of London with more than 50 art/light installations set up all over the city. It was one of our first weeks there so it was so fun to explore the streets of London while admiring all of the light displays. It is definitely a must if you study in London!
Liz

CANNOT recommend CAPA more!!!

Studying abroad in London has been a dream of mine since the beginning of High School. I've always thought I could learn so much more by going somewhere new and studying/interning. Also, an international internship on my resume? Heck yes! That looks awesome. That being said, my University has a program in London; however, they are renovating the place we normally stay in, so we studied abroad with CAPA instead. I was a bit hesitant because I was looking forward to studying abroad with my University's program, but the CAPA program was more than I every could have dreamt! They matched me with my absolute dream internship, and half of my classes during the semester were outside of the classroom, exploring different parts of London. The professors and staff at CAPA were super helpful (seriously, ask them for advice/places to eat/things to do!!), and my commute on the tube became one of my favorite parts of the day. I highly recommend trying to live in London, not just be a tourist there for 3 months. Find a local coffee shop that you love. Visit non-touristy parts of the city (Richmond is beautiful!). Embrace this experience-- everything that's fun, and hard, and incredibly about it. You won't regret it!

Rodrigo

My Study Abroad Experience

My study abroad experience was unique because I did a homestay in a city where people mostly live in an apartment. I was able to make friends with the locals and really immerse myself in the culture. I traveled to various countries and soaked in their culture and traditions. I recommend future students to get out of your comfort zone and visit as many places as you can. Try doing a solo trip because chances are that people your age are also doing the same thing. After my study abroad, semester it motivated me to work abroad and pursue a higher education in another country. I had so many great memories in each country and tried so many new foods. I recommend packing light, so you can room for more things to bring back home. I also recommend getting acquainted with the cities transportation to avoid getting lost.

Alexandra

I miss CAPA London

Learning through CAPA London was the most beneficial experience I could have asked for. The professors were passionate about their classes and made the syllabus straight forward. I learned far more than I expected and was able to engage in the environment and feel like a part of the culture in London. I discovered a lot about myself and came home the best version of myself that I could be. I honestly felt like a resident of the city by the time I was leaving. It felt like I was leaving home when I was returning to the United States.

Emoni

A New Outlook on Life

Before going on this program, I have never been out of the country before. coming into this program was a nerve racking yet exciting experience. I love London and everything the city has to offer. CAPA did a great job of making us feel welcome and allowing us to be independent while also helping us to navigate the city. All in all, I would say that study abroad has been a huge commitment but I think it was definitely worth it. the friends and memories I have made in my short time here are something I never want to forgot. I am excited to share my experiences and memories with you all while I continue on this amazing journey.

Providing some more study spaces would be beneficial
Lindsay

Capa is more then a study abroad program

I studied abroad during Fall 2017 in London through the CAPA program. CAPA supplied me with a fantastic crew of supportive teachers and faculty, who helped me navigate London. I found my own path there and, in a way, discovered who I am. I am forever grateful for the people I met and the time I spent in London. I'm not one to encourage people to do anything. I would encourage anyone who wants to study abroad to do it through CAPA. The supply everything you need to have an amazing time, discover who you are, and learn. If I could go back to London tomorrow, I would. The program gives you three-day weekend, so you can go to other parts of Europe and explore. I went to Greece, Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium and many other countries. In each place I discovered something new, made new friends, and saw places and things I didn't dream I would ever see. CAPA is more than a study abroad program it's a transformative experience that will hold some of your greatest life memories.

I personally would not change a thing!
Hannah

Interning and Studying Abroad Changed me Personally and Professionally!

This program helped me grow so much. I gained confidence both personally and professionally. The internship has helped me land other internships since being back and has made me confident in what I would like to do in the future. I am also now much more confident in speaking to people from all over!

I loved the educational experience I had here! I was able to complete required classes for my Supply Chain Management major, such as economics and supply chain, but they had a global twist to them! Apart from that my internship counted for credit and I was able to take a fun class: pop-culture in the UK! All of my classes included 1 or more field trips in the surrounding London area!

The administration was super helpful! There was always someone at the desk when I arrived at CAPA to help me with places to eat, things to do, doctors appointments and many other things! The administrative team planned outings for all of CAPA students to attend. They were extremely helpful and supportive throughout the entire process.

The living was overall very satisfactory. I loved my roomates and the flat itself was super cute! The only reason I am not giving it a 5 star review is because it was very small, but what can you expect when living in nearly the center of a huge city! The proximity to the Tube and grocery stores were a definite plus. I'd live in my flat again in a heartbeat

For the most part I felt very safe. My specific flat location would recieve a 5 star review on safety, however, London is a large city and like most large cities it does have its sketchy areas. Be aware of this and make sure you know where you are going to end up!

London is an expensive city. Be prepared for that when you come. There are definitely ways to save though, such as not eating out constantly or enjoying free activities like walks through Hyde Park!

I would absolutely study here again!!

Emmie

The Best Study Abroad Experience I Could've Asked For

I studied abroad in London this past spring, and needless to say, the experience forever changed me. CAPA was the reason for this. Without this program and without their support throughout the semester, I wouldn't have been placed at an internship that broadened my view on the public relations world, I wouldn't have been able to travel around not only England but so many countries in Europe, and I wouldn't have formed so many meaningful connections. Now being selected as an ambassador, I get the opportunity to share with students on my campus how amazing this program is, and promote studying abroad as one of the best decisions you can ever make in college. Thank you CAPA!