CAPA London: Study & Intern Abroad

By CAPA The Global Education Network   Reviews (83)   94% Rating

Though it’s just a hop across the pond, CAPA’s London program will always remind you that you’re somewhere new. Try and learn some new vocabulary (“boot” means “trunk”, “chips” are “fries”, and let’s not get started on “football” and “soccer”…) as you take the tube (subway) to class. As the city enters the modern age, it still perfectly maintains its old monarchical roots that kept the arts thriving. From notable literary works and paintings to up-and-coming fashion designers, London is the place to create new ideas among ancient walls.

We want you to get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA helps you customize your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in your career. Each of our centers abroad are unique to the places they’re located, and everyone there will help make you feel at home.

Europe » England » London
Age Requirement
Visa Requirement
0.00
Cost Description
The program fee includes tuition, housing, optional internship placement*, local transportation pass, access to the Imperial College Student Union and International Students House, a half-day panoramic coach tour of London, a full-day excursion to Stonehenge and Bath, and a full-day excursion to Stratford-upon-Avon and Kenilworth Castle, MyEducation events, insurance, and CAPA services and support including a 24-hour emergency phone line.

*Internships require a Tier 4 visa, which is an additional cost upwards of $500 not included in the program fee.

Rating Values

Megan
Shanghai, China
Mount Saint Mary College

Study Abroad: China

Overall

If you're a travel geek like me I highly recommend this program because how many people can actually say they went to China. Not only does studying abroad look good on a resume, for most going abroad is a once in a life time experience, where you can gain independence, responsibility and become culturally educated. I highly encourage anyone who remotely interested to take the opportunity because it is unforgettable and you also gain close friends while abroad. I also want to include, CAPA made all the application processes very easy by giving us step by step instructions on what to do.
I studied abroad mainly in Shanghai, China, but I did visit other cities as well such as Beijing, Wuzhen, and Hangshan. Myself and 20 other students from my school lived at East China Normal University for about a month and stayed in a hotel in Beijing for 2 days. The dorms were very nice and modern even though it did take us a while to figure out the Wi-Fi and the heating system. We had both a guide and a translator from CAPA with us for the majority of the trip, which was really helpful and CAPA was also gracious enough to all us to visit many popular sites in China, like the Great Wall, temples, the Yu Garden and the Bund. In addition, we tried some traditional Chinese food like frog, lychees and many different types of fish. I highly recommend taking a trip to Coco Party which is like a little cafe in Shanghai that has amazing milk shakes and sandwiches. My favorite memory is when about 7 of us decided to go to Yellow Mountain. The views were breath taking and you also get a good work-out. Overall, I enjoyed the entire trip and I hope to travel to more places in the future.

I would say can improve on the method of transportation, especially with a big group because some of us were separated from the group when riding the metro and I wish we had more time to admire the sites and I personally often felt rushed.
Victoria
NY

The Time of My Life

Overall

Choosing to study abroad with CAPA was the best decision of my life. I had the opportunity to be fully immersed in the incredible city of London. Through the CAPA program, I was able to live and work in a global city, which left me with so many wonderful memories that I will cherish forever. The CAPA program arranged an internship for me based on my qualifications, major, and interests; and I could not have been more pleased with my internship placement. I was able to work at a leading global engineering company alongside the Business Development Team, which provided me with great exposure to the world of business. My internship allowed me to network and create lasting connections with my coworkers that will better my opportunities for my future career endeavors. While I was abroad, I really enjoyed the tightly knit community that the CAPA program provided. CAPA ensured that all the students felt comfortable and safe every step of the way by providing constant support. I was able to create memories with the other students in the program through various CAPA led excursions and trips around or outside of the city. My time abroad in Europe was such a rewarding and life changing experience. Being able to live and work in a foreign global city taught me so much about different cultures, and taught me a lot about myself as well. My time in London allowed me to grow infinitely as a person, as I gained a new found sense of independence and appreciation for the world. Going abroad made me more aware of how the world works on a larger scale. I was exposed to an entirely different culture and way of life, which forced me to adapt and grow into a more well- rounded version of myself. Being able to navigate myself around a new city and work with a global company gave me a sense of purpose and shaped me to be open to new possibilities and opportunities. In my opinion, there is no better way to find and create oneself than to immerse oneself in an entirely new and foreign culture. I am forever grateful for the life changing experience that CAPA provided me with.

N/A
Erica
Amherst, Massachusetts

CAPA Internship with DEC PR & Communications in Sydney

Overall

CAPA The Global Education Network allowed me not only to study abroad down under in Australia but also found me an awesome internship based on my own personal interests and major. They did an awesome job by placing me with an internship with DEC PR & Communications right in the heart of the CBD in Sydney. I was able to work with individuals from all over the world and get involved with representing and marketing for clients within the national and international level.
A list of my responsibilities as an intern at DEC PR & Communications included:
• Researched information for projects and goals the company concerning the optimized representation of clients and organizations.
• Partook in brainstorming and creative writing for social media, blog posts, and pitch ideas for promoting clients/products.
• Collaborated with the following brands: Coca Cola, Trivett Bespoke Luxury Cars Australia (RollsRoyce, Bentley, Aston Martin, and McLaren), Club Med, Frasers Property, Melbourne Airport, Palmolive, and Mirvac.

I am so grateful for this experience to not only study but work abroad in another global city of my choosing. CAPA did an excellent job with pairing relevant classes for students to take (I took Intercultural Communication and International Dimensions of Organizational Behavior), sorting out student housing in a modernized student housing apartment, hosting fun group events & activities, and ensuring the safety and overall quality of my experience in Australia.

Therefore I would like to give a big shout out & thank you to CAPA The Global Education Network! I would definitely recommend studying/interning abroad with this unbelievable program which is currently offering programs in London, Florence, Dublin, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, and Sydney.

I think this program should expand to more global cities and nations around the world to step up their international outreach and interest of students who want to study and work abroad.
Carly
Dallas, TX
University of Missouri- Columbia

The best experience of my life

Overall

My flatmates and I absolutely fell in love with a little festival right by the London Eye, called Udderbelly. We always met here after our internships and grabbed a drink, sitting amongst the locals and completely blending in. It was amazing that nobody had to know we were American. We would always walk along Southbank and explore, walking along the Millennium Bridge, staring at Shakespeare's Globe, taking touristy pictures with Big Ben, etc. It was those daily, small things that really made my trip the best experience of my life.

Nina
New York

Growing Experience

Overall

My experience abroad was amazing and I wish I could have studied abroad for a year. I learned a lot about myself within the short time I was abroad. I learned to ask questions and talk to people who might not be similar to me. Although, it was very difficult because we came from different backgrounds, I learned a lot through the conversations I had with others. In addition, I learned to take the time to talk to others and explain myself. Sometimes, I find it difficult to speak but my boss took the time to listen to what I had to say. From that experience I reevaluated my life and the things I've done and my habits. As a result, I have taken the time to talk to people who are different from me and explaining myself clearly.

The program has done a great job in providing for the students.
Kylie
Poughkeepsie, NY

A Life-Changing Experience

Overall

Studying abroad with CAPA was, truly, one of the best decisions I have ever made. When I began the process of finding a program to study in London with, there were a few things that I know I wanted: To live in a flat in the city, to be able to travel, and to have an internship. I found that CAPA would be able to give me all of these choices, and I made my decision.
My time abroad was the first time out of the United States, and I knew it would take some time to adjust. CAPA made it easy for all of its students, by offering tours of the neighborhoods we lived in– including the best grocery stores and Tube stations to take– guided explorations around the city, and by offering small group meetings and orientations at CAPA, to make sure everyone felt comfortable, and knew they had people they could go to if they needed help.
I was very busy during my weeks abroad– between classes in the morning, going to my TV station internship in the afternoon, and then having to cook my meals, do my laundry, homework, and find some time to relax– but it was incredibly worth it. The education I received from my classes, and internship, were one of a kind, and often used London as a classroom setting, which was incredible.
Even though I was busy, I made sure to take time each day to explore. Some days I would just get on the Tube and get off a station I didn’t know and, safely, see what I would find. Around CAPA’s campus are tons of museums (which are free), parks, and other things to explore. I never spent an entire day in my flat– London had too much to offer.
Another great thing about being in London is that it is cheap and easy to travel to other places in Europe. During the three and a half months I was there, I got to travel to Paris, Dublin and Galway, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Florence, and Edinburgh. I experienced things I had dreamed of, as well as moments I had never even thought possible. I met family members who lived in Ireland, sang on the steps of Sacré Coeur in Paris, saw every famous landmark, tasted the most amazing food, and danced every night away. Sure, sometimes we got lost, sometimes it was hard not speaking the native language– but we figured it out, and it made every experience more memorable and educational.
I know the friends I made while I was abroad will stay friends forever– we experienced so much together, and share an incredible bond over this amazing chapter in each of our lives.
To anyone who is considering studying abroad: I could not recommend it enough. It changes the way you see the world and people around you, and the way you live your life. Not every day will be easy, but it is worth it, and you will fly home with memories and friends that will last a lifetime– and an outlook that will positively affect every day to come.

Andrew
Methuen,MA

Interning, Learning, and Living in London

Overall

During my semester abroad in London, I Learned more than I ever thought I would, and not just in the classroom. I learned a ton about the world I am living in. I learned that a lot of the struggles and challenges we face as Americans are not at all the same thing that people in other parts of the world struggle with. This experience opened my eyes to all the great things I have had a privilege to and taught me to be fortunate for this. I would say this was definitely a worthwhile experience.

Carly
Lansdale, PA
Emerson College

CAPA International: Cheap & Meaningful Abroad Experience!

Overall

My school had a lot of different options when it came to studying abroad, but choosing an external program to travel with was definitely the best option for me. Not only did I get to live and study abroad, but I got to extend my friend circle to people outside of my home university. Studying with CAPA meant that I had classes with students from all over the US, and interacted with staff from all over the world, not just London!

The perks for studying with CAPA were also incredible. We were automatically included in the student union at Imperial College London, which meant we could join any of their clubs, sports, or activities. We also received Oyster cards with tuition, which meant that I never had to worry about having the money to travel in / around London.

The staff was extremely supportive the entire time I was there, which allowed me to study, travel, and keep my GPA up! Most (if not all) professors took us out and around the city every single week, which helped make sure we weren't just being bogged down into a classroom. I visited almost every major museum, saw three plays, and toured Mosques and Churches during class! These were all things I would've done in my free time and on my own bill anyway, but with CAPA I didn't have to!

CAPA was also extremely supportive in helping me schedule classes beforehand, making sure there was no wasted time / credits earned.

I adored my CAPA experience, and I encourage anybody who wants to study abroad on a budget to check them out!

The only way I could think of improving this program would be expanding it's course catalog. Although I was able to complete all my general education requirements while I was in London, I wasn't able to take any courses directly pertaining to my major.
Rachel
Hopewell Jct

Interning Abroad

Overall

Through CAPA London I partook in the internship program and it was an excellent decision. I was paired with ThinkersPR a public relations and marketing firm. There, I was the public relations and communications intern. I gained great professional development and made lasting connections. I miss working there everyday and I looked forward to going to work everyday. I managed the social media for our clients and did research for the rest of the public relations team. I got to partake in many client meetings and was involved like I was another coworker, not an intern.

CAPA London could be improved by reevaluating their professors. CAPA London should also do an overall of their Learning Through Internship programs. It is an important program to have but could be used more beneficially.
Jill
Duxbury, MA

The Most Enriching, Educational, and Fun Experience

Overall

My experience in London with CAPA was better than I ever could’ve dreamed of. I learned how to live in a global city, made incredible memories and friends, interned with a transnational company, and developed personally and professionally. Study abroad as a whole is an enriching, once-in-a-lifetime experience that needs to be taken advantage of.

I didn’t expect to gain so many skills, technical work-related ones and softer ones, but I did and I will take them with me for the rest of my life. I got relevant international work experience in my desired field while also becoming more confident, independent, mature, and able to work with people from diverse backgrounds.

CAPA was the perfect fit for me, largely in part due to the internship component and their emphasis on personal and professional development. I knew ahead of time that I want to pursue an internationally-focused career, so doing an international internship was a great starting point for me. Not only did CAPA place me at a site that perfectly aligned with my career goals, but they taught me how to articulate my study abroad and work experience in a professional, in-depth way, which is more difficult to do than I initially thought.

CAPA provided a lot of great inclusions, including an Oyster Card for the tube and bus so I didn’t have to pay for public transport, a London Pass which granted me free entry to 5 attractions (including the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey), field trips around the city and to Brighton, My Global Education events to teach me more about the dynamic components that make up a global city, and discounts on cultural events such as a Rugby Game at Wembley Stadium and West End plays.

I would highly recommend the CAPA London program to everyone!

The required class that complements the internship was dry, but the material was useful. However the class has been revamped since I took it. Aside from that, nothing!
Lydia
Philadelphia
Albright College

Lydia In London!

Overall

I chose the CAPA Program because it is linked with my college, Albright. I am allowed to take a full class load when I cross the sea and explore the unknown world of London. This program gives me the option to “personalize the experience” by allowing me to both take a full load of courses and participate in an internship or service learning opportunity. It was a dream come true to intern in London, and the CAPA program helped me fulfill a dream. My favorite part about London was that it is a fashion influenced city. London is simply in style. Pops of colors come from tall beautiful flowers growing out of window boxes. Colorful row houses stand tall on a long narrow street. London is also home to a vast number of parks. From High Park to St. James Park, you can walk from tall city buildings into the peaceful world of nature in a matter of minutes. The mix of city and country makes London a very interesting place to live and work. CAPA is global. CAPA offers programs in London, Dublin, Buenos Aires, Florence, Shanghai, and Sydney. Students should know that they can capture the world with CAPA. CAPA is very helpful and informative when it comes to studying abroad. They have been global leaders in studying abroad since 1972. They also offer internships, which out of the ten percent of American students who study abroad only three percent intern abroad.
Going to London was the best decision that I have ever made. The three and half months that I spend in the UK and traveling helped me see the world. It helped me checked off cities on my bucket list, meet new people, and become a citizen of the world. I got the experience how to work, live, and learn in an international city. This experience has forever changed my personal and academic life. As a CAPA Ambassador, I one hundred percent would recommend the CAPA London Program to other students. On my college's campus, I have talked in classrooms, given info sessions, and helped at a table held at our study abroad fair. The CAPA Program is life changing and has been ranked top in study abroad websites. I am very pleased that Albright partnered with CAPA to give me and other students a chance to capture the world.

Rachel
Rock Island, Illinois
Augustana College

London

Overall

London was an amazing place to study abroad, I had no idea I would fall in love with a place the way I fell in love with London. CAPA was a wonderful program. I learned so much in my international marketing class and they could not hove found me a more perfect internship. Leaving London was one of the saddest things I have done, if it were up to me and not my 4-tier VISA I would have stayed forever.

Jeanne
Frederick, Maryland

A Semester of Growth and Independence

Overall

My semester in London with CAPA was the best time of my life thus far. I loved the city, the people and the CAPA school. The classes I took with CAPA were some of my favorite courses I have taken in my college career. While they were not as academically challenging as I am used to from my home school, the experience was much greater and well-rounded than what I can achieve in the States. I chose 2 of my courses at CAPA specifically for the trips because I wanted to be able to learn from the city as much as possible. My classes really took advantage of the fact that we were in London, which I loved. The most trips I got to take was with 20th and 21st Century Modern Art. Every other week we were going to the National Gallery, Royal Academy of Arts or the Tate, and then we were back in the classroom for the next. There is nothing on the same level as learning about Van Gogh in class and then visiting that painting in a gallery the next. One of my favorite trips was through British Broadcasting Today. Near the end of the semester we toured the BBC, rehearsed a radio show and were the audience for “The One Show” that night. My first time on television, and it was in the UK! Just being in the BBC was a dream for me, and it was one of the greatest experiences CAPA gave me during my short 4 months in London.

The MyEducation events were amazing, but I wish there were more trips outside of London to get us outside the city. That would probably require raising the fees though.
Kyle
Loudonville, New York
Siena College

Interning and Living in London; The Global City

Overall

The CAPA London Internship Program is a great opportunity for students to gain international internship experience. There are placement options for students of all majors. The professional connections and skills gained through my experience were invaluable to my professional development. Participating in CAPA's internship program is vital to one's cultural immersion in London. Due to the fact that students live and take classes with other American students, aside from interacting professors and those you meet on the street, the relationships students form with their coworkers will be their best exposure to British culture. If you are looking to only take classes, I recommend studying abroad at a university in London, not with a study abroad only program, like CAPA. Living in London allows students to observe the vast cultural differences in London. You can turn the corner and feel like you are in a different country. Classes are immersed in study abroad. Students can take theater classes that include excursions to see plays and tour theaters on the West End. Additionally, the Analyzing and Exploring London class allows students to gain first-hand knowledge of the issues Londoners have been faced with past and present. Living conditions are far superior to those of other students living in London. Apartments are spacious and are cleaned once a week by a cleaning service. I had the opportunity to live in Camden Town, a bustling center of counter culture. There was always something to do; there is access to eateries, a supermarket, a pharmacy, a cell phone service, and the infamous Camden Market is right around the corner. The social life in London was great. There is plenty of time to explore the pubs and go clubbing on the weekends. The CAPA London student council puts on great social events, such as a boat party on the River Thames. I met some great friends through my time at CAPA London. Overall, I would give CAPA London a 9/10. I really had a great experience. I learned a lot and have a ton of fond memories. I would not trade my study abroad experience for the world.

One way in which I feel that CAPA can improve their program would be to increase communication with students prior to their departure from the United States for London. I really feel like I had no clue what exactly the program entailed until I was there.
Allison
Davenport, Iowa
St. Ambrose University

AMAZING PROGRAM!

Overall

My study abroad experience with CAPA London was better than I ever anticipated. You hear of a lot of people who go abroad and say it was a "life-changing experience." And this really is the case for me. The CAPA staff, in London and Boston, were extremely helpful each step of the way--from the application to commencement. I absolutely loved living in London. The flats in Shepherd's Bush were in a good part of town and Tube stations were easily accessible. They also pay for your transportation within London which is really helpful. I took Advertising in Britain and British Broadcasting Today and found both of the classes to be beneficial. We could actually go on field trips in the city and see concepts we had been learning in class. My favorite was visiting the BBC.They also have great connections within the city for internships. For example, I am a tv broadcast major and interned at a local tv station that broadcasts charities. However, probably the best part of CAPA for me was the cultural activities and My Education Events. These were planned events or excursions led by CAPA. For instance, I saw Les Miserables, went to a rugby match, took walking tours of various neighborhoods, and took a boat cruise down the Thames. After 3 months of living in London, I didn't want to leave and I wouldn't trade my experience with CAPA for anything.

Alex
Boston, Massachusetts
Stonehill College

Amazing Study Abroad Experience! (thanks CAPA)

Overall

If you're looking for a program to intern and study abroad in a global city- CAPA's the perfect choice. CAPA provides a holistic program giving you the chance to intern in a workplace (relevant to your field of study) with the city's locals. In classes with other Americans I was able to meet other students from across the US and make great friends. The internship placements were great and the few students I knew that weren't happy with their placements didn't give it a chance. Be open minded and you'll be able to take something away from your experience! My internship in finance is a great addition to my resume. Furthermore, I was gaining hands-on experience relevant to what I'm studying (accounting) and I really clicked with the team at my site. As for academics, I took a course for my major, one for my minor and one about London. All were great. In my British Broadcasting class we toured the BBC and even got to be the live studio audience of the One Show which was aired on TV! That was very fun. The course I took about London had many field trips around the city to places like Trafalgar Square, Museums and The Olympic Park. All were great, they gave me a new perspective on the city and allowed me to see some of the city's hidden gems. London's an amazing city and CAPA was the perfect choice for me, knowing I wanted to intern with locals and study with other US students. CAPA cares about every student in the program and provides many opportunities to travel (with a travel fair with companies offering trips and some trips around the UK are even included). The unlimited tube pass (zones 1-2) that comes with the program is a huge perk! You'll be able to travel around the city with ease. I highly recommend CAPA to anyone looking to grow personally and professionally through study abroad.

The downside to my experience was the Learning through Internships class which is required for anyone interning to take. It's a 1.5 hr class once a week and we discussed our successes and failures at our internships. We were also lectured on difference topics about workplace culture and organizational behavior. It was difficult for me, as a finance intern, to relate to students whose internships were shadowing a professional (like a photographer). There were papers and assignments in this course which were graded like a regular academic course which added unnecessary stress. I know CAPA talked about how they change this course up every once in a while so they are working to improve this aspect of the program.

I was also nervous about not having time to travel like my other friends abroad since I was interning 3 days and taking classes 2 days each week. I planned my internship hours around my travel plans, though, and if you plan ahead like that, the internship site supervisors will be very understanding! I ended up being able to go to 9 countries outside the UK during my time so traveling is possible and encouraged! (plus the weeklong break is perfect for a longer trip) My professors and colleagues at work all loved hearing about the places I went.
Colin
Philadelphia, PA
University of Pittsburgh

CAPA In London

Overall

The CAPA program in London offered me an amazing platform on which to not only explore the many wonders of London and Europe, but also to build my professional skill set in a meaningful way through an internship.

As such, my weeks were absolutely packed with classes and work, so spring break was a great opportunity for several of friends and I to break away on our own adventure. We planned and executed our excursion to Italy - free of any program structures or help - in the varied time in between classes during the weeks leading up to break. This was a feat in and of itself, coordinating schedules, tickets, and logistics for four people without anyone knowing Italian or having been to Italy before.

However, it all worked out and I'm proud to say our plans went, more or less, off without a hitch. The number of stories and shared memories from that trip - from Venice in the North, through Florence, and then on to Rome - are far too many to retell here but they will not soon be forgotten by me or my traveling companions.

The program could work on helping bring participating students together more often and building a community feeling. One of the great strengths of this program is its size and reach; however, that also means there are literally hundreds of students each semester. The CAPA facilities could be expanded and more resources/activities structured into the program for students to meet each other (or locals).
Francesca
West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue University

Summer In London with CAPA!

Overall

One really cool week I remember perfectly is my "Week of Celebs." There was a movie premier going on right in Russell Square (Entourage Movie) and I had never been to anything like it! I swore I was dreaming. I kept thinking this is only for famous people, right? Well it was surreal. Though no selfies nor autographs were received, we were up close and personal with a lot of the stars. We were in the middle of packs of crazy people who wanted to get autographs to sell and would shove anyone aside if they got in their way. Of course we just thought it was hilarious and loved being smack dab in the middle of this wild scene. That same week, Bradley Cooper (eek!!) was doing a show, The Elephant Man, in Covent Garden. Afterwards he comes out and does autographs and selfies with nearly everyone who shows up!! This time, a selfie was successfully captured and I have never been more starstruck in my entire life!! It was so cool, we were so close (photo below).

We were shocked at how casual the Londoners reacted to both of these events. The work commuters would walk by like this was an every day scene! Plays, musicals and premiers happen all the time there that bring a lot of celebrities to the city. For us tourists, we couldn't get enough.

For this program we had to take an "Internship Reflect" course, where we were supposed to reflect on our time at the office, the work that we did, and the experiences we had - basically compare one another's experience. Since we all had different majors and therefore different internships, I found it not applicable to everyone in the class. It was not very effective and would much rather have had this time to be out in London exploring something! Other than that, the CAPA staff was fantastic, I loved my "Exploring London" class, and my internship was the greatest pre-career experience I think I'll ever receive.
Hannah
Oswego, New York

My Summer Spent in London

Overall

CAPA London truly made my study abroad experience one i'll never forget. From the second I was accepted into the program until the second I left London, CAPA went above and beyond to make sure my time abroad was incredible.

Since this was my first time abroad, I was extremely nervous to spend so much time in a foreign country with people who were strangers to me. However, CAPA ensured I was prepared for everything that I would need abroad. They walked me through the entire work visa process, provided me with travel and packing tips, and weekly London itineraries that allowed me to see places only locals know about. They are truly all about making sure each and every student is immersed into the culture they are studying and comfortable enough to enjoy themselves.

CAPA also set me up with an incredible internship in the heart of London in my field of study. I was nervous at first about giving them complete control over my internship placement, but I was more than pleasantly surprised with how spot on they were. The internship and classes were challenging and I was able to learn a lot about my major as well as the history and culture of London. For a six week program, the required hours at the internship site were a little heavy, but I was able to really learn the ins and outs of the work culture and London which I am extremely grateful for. It was a great way to build my resume and give me a competitive edge over others in the public relations field.

London in general is a beautiful city that doesn't allow you to spend one second being bored. I explored the city a lot on the weeks due to the Oyster Card CAPA provided me which allowed me to travel throughout Zones 1 and 2 whenever I pleased. On the weekends I was able to travel to countries such as France, Ireland, Copenhagen, and The Netherlands. I constantly felt like CAPA gave me opportunities to act on and if you take advantage of them you are guaranteed to have the experience of a lifetime.

One way this program could be improved is by cutting down on the required hours a student must be at an internship placement. It was extremely hard to find time to explore the city and culture of London when I was in either class or my internship all day Monday-Friday. For a 6 week program, the requirements shouldn't be the same as full semester abroad students.
Ben
Gainesville, Florida
University of Florida

Living in London

Overall

This experience will be whatever you make it to be; you can either find yourself regretting not doing more, or being satisfied with everything to got to accomplish.

CAPA's London Program makes you hit the ground running, and I'm really thankful that they do. I never thought that almost 2 months would fly by so fast, but I'm glad I took advantage of the time I had while I was there. The program also provides you with a lot of opportunities to see different parts of the city, or even travel a bit further.

One of my favorite things was going to Wimbledon with the group from CAPA. It was the last full day we had for the program, and it was a really good way to end it and spend the last day in London. It can seem hard to become friends with other students on the trip, because you'll find yourself spread out amongst the city. But, if you take advantage of opportunities like this one, you'll find yourself making friends with someone you may not have otherwise met.

Overall, I was really satisfied with CAPA and how their program was structured. They let you practically build your own program (whether you want to do just academics, an internship, etc.) which allows each student to have a unique experience. I would recommend to research as much as you can before you get here, especially when planning for trips / excursions, etc. Prices become much more expensive as the date approaches, but can be found for very cheap with extra time. With that being said, allow yourself some free-time to be able to experience things that you may not be able to plan ahead for.

I would've loved to been able to interact with students from local colleges, rather than only students on the CAPA Program. Although they give you a few suggestions, if there was some other resource or piece of advice CAPA had, it could make it easier for students to connect with each other. Often times I found myself wondering what the local students do around the city during the day, but found it difficult to be able to find out for myself.
Paul
Mount Airy, MD
Hood College

A comfortable, but not necessarily challenging bubble

Overall

I found CAPA's London program incredible and life-changing for me: it was my first time living independently (albeit, with roommates), my first extended stay in a foreign country, and the first time I could take complete charge over my own life.

The academics were great, shattering the stereotype that studying abroad would just be a "vacation from studying", and the internship program worked out well for a lot of my friends — I opted against taking an internship in the interest of exploring the city.

The coursework in CAPA courses is unique in that it requires professors to plan MyEducation events — outings that get students engaged with the city of London, and connect it to their studies. This was a fantastic way to plan courses, as it got students out and about, not just sitting in classrooms all day!

However, the downfall of this program for me was in the lack of social immersion we got as students. The London center for CAPA is an independent institution, so the student demographic was nearly all American when I went. Even some of my teachers were American. While we were encouraged to meet and befriend British people, it was difficult to do so when they weren't involved in our studies, or surrounding us during our daily lives.

With the majority of students having internships with organizations in London, this was less of a worry for them; however, my peers in internships who were seeking social immersion did note disappointment, as the friendships built at internships didn't extend far past the office.

For me, this program ended up being great, but in hindsight, I wish I had chosen another of the several locations that CAPA offers. The staff at CAPA, however, is top-notch, and couldn't be nicer. They supported me and my peers when we needed it most, and I couldn't appreciate that more.

So my advice is this: CAPA is great, but don't be afraid to challenge your boundaries more than I did! Many of CAPA's other programs take place outside of the "American Bubble", so check into those before making any decisions.

If possible, structure the program so that we have more interaction with local peers, and not just through internships.
Nicole

Learning Through Experience: Interning Abroad

Overall

This semester I had the opportunity to intern at the Royal Free Children’s Hospital School. This is a special school that provides for students whose needs are not met at public schools and is a secure space for children on the ward of the hospital to be engaged during their stay. The goal of the school is to offer a safe, caring space that inspires students to learn in a normalized setting, building skills that will allow for their eventual reintegration back into the public school system. As a teaching and office intern I had a wide range of responsibilities including assistant teaching as needed in the classroom setting, online database coding, and secretarial work.
One of the key learning points that I will take away from this internship is successful communication with staff members. Through this position I have realized that I must be the one to advocate for myself and communicate what I do and do not feel comfortable with in a work environment. During my time at the hospital school I was put in situations where I did not always feel comfortable, and realized that I had to speak up for myself and my needs in order to get what I wanted out of my internship. I now feel stronger and more confident in my ability to understand what I can handle and when to ask for help, which is extremely important in the fields of education and psychology. There were days and moments especially at my internship site that were very difficult. Being exposed to students with mental challenges and a variety of disabilities was overwhelming at times, but I realized that I learned something very important from each and every student that I met and worked with. I have made lasting positive relationships with staff and students at my internship site at the Royal Free, and feel this to be a true accomplishment of my time there.

The internship course that is created to complement the internship could be improved upon by formulating a new curriculum that addresses many different fields of study, rather than just corporate business. A more organized and comprehensive class with student internship anecdotes and situations being the main focus may be more beneficial for a variety of students with different backgrounds and interests. This model may better support what students are experiencing and learning in their internship settings as well.
Rebecca
Philadelphia, PA
Ursinus College

Best Independent Learning Experience!

Overall

I am so glad I chose CAPA London; it was my first time in Europe, and it was a great time for me to learn and discover myself independently. With the exception of the nighttime bus routes, (those maps are very confusing) I had no trouble navigating around the city. (Safe community, and no language difficulties). Flexibility in scheduling allows for external travel and discoveries, in a culture rich city. However, one must keep in mind that a study abroad experience is what you personally make of it. I've had friends who have done the same exact thing, and said that it was nothing special.

In the beginning, you are introduced to the city via tourist route; that is, we took a bussed tour around the city, where a tour guide gleefully introduced us to the major land marks, and well known historic areas. We also visited Stone Henge, which, for me was the highlight of the tour- I'm not one for tours, because I find them, well, rather bland, but I'm not sure how I'd have gone to Stone Henge otherwise.

I would say this program is more about personal learning and exploring rather than pure academics. It all depends on your university, but mine did not take our final grades, only the credits as long as we reached a certain grade. This is not to say that I didn't try- as long as you complete the assignments, and listen during lectures, doing well in your courses is not an insurmountable task. Classes simply consist of lectures, assigned reading, a few presentations, and a final exam at the end. If you have any questions, the professors are always more than willing to help, and are very chatty and friendly as well. I will say it is a more American style of learning, as we have assignments throughout the course, and our final mark is not contingent on just one exam.

However, I do wish the program as a whole was a bit more organised- sometimes I felt like all the components of our responsibilities- housing, assignments, travelling, etc. lacked in proper cohesion. Often times, we were confused as to what we needed to do, where we needed to go (such as finding our flat, assignment due dates, etc.) This was more of a problem for my classmates, though I just found that a bit more communication would have solved the issues. Sometimes, for example, a professor would be expected to adhere to the CAPA curriculum instead of their own, and they weren't aware that they were to present certain presentations- and embarrassingly found themselves fumbling with the content. However, the content is what matters- all the other issues are easily solvable by asking questions if you need additional instructions.

Travelling is so easy in London that it would be a crime to take a taxi. CAPA gives each student a prepaid Oyster card that can be utilised on all public transportation for the duration of the program. Take advantage of the free museums and cultural attractions- London is one of the world's most diverse cities, and places like Borough Market and Camden market has food stalls in rows with food from all over the world.

I would also advise to take advantage of the student union at Imperial College, a partnership that is unique to CAPA. There, you can make friends with British University students, join clubs and sports, and utilise facilities. Imperial is one of the top universities in the UK- and you can easily be a part of the community- it is there that I've made some of my best friends, and also discovered London through a local's point of view.

Travelling is also a must- though you are not on the mainland of Europe- any country is within a few hours away. I suggest planning ahead to find the cheapest rates.

Quick tips for making the most of your experience:

1. Don't just do what tourists do- by doing the "typical" things, you don't experience London as a local; just what all foreigners see- anyone can see Big Ben- but going on a street art walk in Shoreditch is something I wouldn't want to miss

2. Get to know the locals- you'll have friends with different view points, who can introduce you to their city- too many of my friends say they didn't know any British people by the end of our program- that's because they just stuck to each other. You're not in a foreign country to get to know more Americans.

3. Utilise your Oyster card as much as you can- it's prepaid- anyone who's stayed after the program knows that those fees really add up.

4. If you're going to travel- plan ahead of time. Airline flights are ALWAYS more expensive the closer you get to your departure date. And hostels are a marvellous alternative to expensive hotels.

5. Document your discoveries with photos and maybe even a journal- you'll look back on it in the future and be glad you could relive those memories.

6. Go out of your comfort zone and try something new- you never know what you're going to discover. You have time to sleep and rest when you get home- these several months should be filled with discoveries and new things. So get out there and enjoy yourself!

I would probably say that a bit more communication could improve the quality of education in our courses, but otherwise, there's nothing more that I would change. And if our courses were not so long, I'm sure that we would glean more from the materials being presented- there's a lot of information all at once, and it takes a bit of time to digest it all.
Natalie
Baltimore, Maryland
University of Mississippi

THUMBS UP FOR CAPA

Overall

As a CAPA alumnus, I cannot begin to describe how incredible my time was in London. I think that CAPA has a large part in making my experience unforgettable. The students, staff and professors inspired me every day, and I have remained in contact with most of them.

The internship program was an incredible experience. The internship team was there to talk all the time if I felt overwhelmed or that I could not handle my job. They did an incredible job of placing me in an environment in which I could excel and felt safe every single day.

The classes were inspiring and fascinating, and allowed us to explore London and see the hidden parts that some walk by without truly understanding. I highly recommend this program because of the people, the city, and the relationships that you can open yourself too.

I think that changing where people live could add to the program. I loved where I lived (Sheperd's Bush), and I know people in Earl's Court and Camden loved their environment too. This however affected me building relationships with people that I did not live directly with because they were far tube rides away from me it would seem.
Jorge

Best Semester of my College Life

Overall

My study abroad experience was one of the best semesters of my college life. It helped me mature as a person and learn a lot about myself as well as it nurtured my desire to someday live in London after college. The staff at CAPA International Education were always there for you whether to help you if you're homesick or tell you the best places to explore in London or travel to in Europe. London is such a vibrant and diverse city, that I can safely say you will never get bored in it because there is always something to do and some place to visit any day at any time. Though I wasn't able to intern because I wasn't eligible to meet the Visa requirements, my roommates had great internships that they were placed in. Our living arrangements were great, as we were centrally located and in a very nice and safe neighborhood within walking distance of great spots in London such as Covent Garden or Oxford Street.

This program is a great experience for students who are looking for a great semester studying abroad. The only thing that could be improved perhaps, is more social events or programs that will help CAPA students bond more. For the most part I didn't meet many of the people in the program till a little before the half mark of the semester. However, this program is great overall and I am actually proud to be a CAPA Alumni because it made me fall in love with London instantly.
Emily
Arizona State University

CAPA is the Total Package!

WHY CAPA?:

I am so glad I chose to study abroad with CAPA. I did a lot of research on various study abroad programs, but CAPA stood out the most and definitely did not disappoint me! I wanted a program that provided a lot of in country support and activities. I was worried about doing an exchange and being by myself, but was also worried about getting involved with a program that would hand hold too much. CAPA was the perfect balance.

CAPA had lots of options so that I could really make my study abroad experience my own. There are so many choices to customize the semester. You can live in a homestay or flat, do an internship or service learning course, and/or participate in MyEducation and cultural activities.

HOMESTAY:

For me, the cultural immersion came from living in a homestay. Living with British locals was a fantastic experience. I loved getting to form a relationship with my host parents (plus their home cooking was delicious). You really can save a lot of money with the homestay because breakfast and dinner are included every day. I also got my own bedroom, which was important to me. I loved meeting my host parents' friends and family and living life with real Londoners. I'd say don't be scared to try the homestay. If you're thinking about doing it--do it!

CLASSES:

I took 12 credits/4 classes at the CAPA Centre. I really enjoyed them all and would say they were about the same rigor as I was used to at ASU. I really liked all of the incorporated field trips around London. My professors were all British and extremely knowledgable. The classes ended up being one of the best parts of my semester abroad.

Recommendations:
20th & 21st Century Art
Theatricality
Writing the City: London
Understanding Modern Britain

OVERALL:

While in London, I really grew as a person. I overcame a lot of my anxiety, which was huge for me. I gained the courage to step out of my comfort zone and leave home.I have learned that I have a passion for photography and art.I have also become a better listener, an active learner, more independent, more assertive, have learned to trust my instincts, and become more focused on my career goals and what I want to pursue in life. In 10 years, I'll probably be able to look back and find even more areas of growth that have presented themselves because of my time in London. I know that for me, though, this was just the beginning of a lifetime of growing and changing through travel abroad.

-Shorter commute to the CAPA Centre from my homestay: The only solution I can think of for this is to be placed in homestays in SW London rather than in North London. We’d still be in zone 4, but a heck of a lot closer to CAPA. However, I think when it comes to the homestay, students are more than likely just going to have to enjoy the pros and accept the con of the longer commute time.

-More spaces on MyEducation activities: Maybe poll students in advance on which activities they’d be interested in so a more appropriate number of spaces can be arranged? Or do multiples of the more popular activities (kind of like how Curry Night is set up) so that more students have the chance to participate. I know there were limited spaces on activities such as the BFA performance at the Globe, but I was pretty upset when space had run out and on the night of there were multiple staff members heading over to the show together. The students should come first.

-It also would have been nice to get a participatory certificate at the “CAPA Graduation”. I was actually expecting this so was disappointed when it didn’t happen. This is just a very small thing, but I would have liked to receive a more physical remembrance of my participation in the CAPA program.
Allison
Springfield, NJ

London has become my second home.

Overall

Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I could have ever done. I learned so much about London's culture, about myself, and the rest of the world. i was able to step out of my comfort zone, try new things, explore, make friends, and discover what London has to offer. CAPA did a great job in providing the necessary resources for me to learn about London and take advantage of such a diverse city. CAPA also did a great job in giving us opportunities to explore London and get a feel for what it is like to be British. I do wish we were able to interact more with local people, though. I loved where my flat was located, in Camden, which was very different from our classes in Kensington. I miss London each and every day.

I wish I could have taken classes with/ interacted more with British students and local people.
Olivia

I was drowning

Overall

In a curiously sudden break of time, I found myself being thrown around in a mass of absolutely freezing water, unable to control the movements of my own body. This break of time is indescribable and I've never discussed it with anyone so I don't know if anyone else has experienced something similar. But a pause like this has happened to me four times. I know that because I remember each moment distinctly, and am able to recall my exact thoughts, sights, and feelings without hesitation. In that moment when my body was the subject of a frigid and unfamiliar water, I realized I was meant to be scared. And I wanted to be scared again.

I was in Wales, on a weekend trip away from London, and I was coasteering. The adventure sport was distinctive to the western UK country and I'd traveled out there on a whim, leaving behind every one of my flatmates and my friends to carry on to a heated pub where a pint of cider would be waiting for them: a typical Friday evening event.

I wasn't satisfied with that repetitive event, though. And by the end of November I was quite sad, and homesick. So I hopped on a train to Fishguard and less than 24 hours later, I felt like I was drowning in that body of water.

Nearly a year to the date of that moment, I feel alive when I remember it. Because I felt so alive in that instance that I will never be able to forget it.

What was homesickness hours earlier had turned to a plain rush. A rush for more lack of control. The feeling of lacking control made me feel, ironically, a sense why I should live.

When yet another wave crashed into me, I shook back into existence and laughed at what I had just experienced. I laughed uncontrollably because I knew what a crazy moment it was, and that I would never be able to truly explain it.

London, and the opportunities that CAPA presented to me, were invaluable. And I did not fully grasp to such extent, until I was sitting on my couch at home hours after landing in Boston. What a shame that was.

The internship team is great, however, I think some of the academic classes need to be reevaluated. Stipends for meal plans should also be included.
Mary
Orlando, Florida
Rollins College

Best Experience Ever

Overall

CAPA was the best experience that I was able to have. While the academics of the program were not too challenging, that did mean that I had more time to explore the city. It was great how the professors would incorporate the city into the classroom because it gave you more of a chance to learn more about the city. I also loved having an internship while I was there. I was able to learn vasts amount of valuable information that I can take with me. I was also given an opportunity to organize and hold an event in parliament with 3 MPs. While I loved my internship while I was there, I was originally placed in an internship that I did not like very much. So I went to the internship team and told them it really was not the fit for me and they immediately found me another place that I loved. The staff are extremely accommodating and helpful.

If I had to change one thing about my program it would be having some type of food stipend from them because there was no cafeteria or place to eat there, therefore, I found myself spending majority of my money on eating out.
Carolyn
University of North Carolina- Asheville

Life Lessons in London

Overall

I had an amazing time during my stay in London. I was able to experience the day to day life of London and explore it's incredible variety of people and cultures. Through my internship with an Independent film producer, I learned what it really takes to make it in the entertainment field. My supervisor was a great resource who I felt comfortable talking to because she ran her own company. I basically followed what she did as her shadow which included attending film team meetings in different parts of the city with local and international directors and producers. I realized that exploring by yourself is totally ok and should even be encouraged! These experiences are going to be the most unique gave me the chance to get to know the city on a personal level.

I thought my internship placement was the perfect fit for me but I knew several other students that were less satisfied with theirs. I think more preparation could go into getting the sites to describe the kind of work that will be assigned before the students goes in or making this process more transparent from supervisor to student so that both parties know what to expect. But the upside is that CAPA has such a large variety of internship options that I was able to get to know students of all different academic backgrounds and interests.
Daniel
Amherst, Massachusetts
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

CAPA is an Outstanding Program! Best 3 Months of My Life!

Overall

I had an outstanding experience with CAPA in London. The staff was extremely helpful, I had great professors and I had an excellent internship placement in the journalism field. Transportation around London via the Tube and busses was included in our tuition, and that was another bonus of the program. If you're interested in interning abroad, CAPA is definitely an excellent program for it!

I was fortunate enough to have a great internship placement in London while others didn't get exactly what they wanted. However, CAPA will work with you to make sure you get the best placement possible and they have an entire internships team to help you with this as well. This is also reflective of real life. You may not always get what you want, but it's up to you to be resourceful and flexible to make it the best experience possible.
Lisa
Imperial College London

Make the best decision of your life, and study abroad in London!

Overall

Living, learning, and working abroad in London was the most amazing experience of my life so far. Studying with CAPA allowed me to take classes and go on field trips that made the coursework come to life, and enhance my major studies to encompass international boundaries. I also completed an internship, which gave me invaluable international work experience and influenced my future career plans. The CAPA staff is incredibly helpful and always so friendly. I loved the MyEducation activities which fully immersed me into the London culture by taking me to places I never would have discovered on my own. I also made some of my very best friends. the cherry on top of an overall fantastic experience! If you are at all unsure about studying abroad, I would highly encourage you to DO IT!

Kate
Winter Park, Florida
Rollins College

I'm Just Mad I Had to Come Home

Overall

It sounds a bit cheesy to say that studying abroad really formed who I am as a person, or that it was the best decision I've made throughout my college career, but it's true. Those cliches have to come from somewhere, right? I can't emphasize enough how much I think every undergrad student who has the opportunity to study abroad should take advantage of it. And CAPA, in particular, was such a great program. The professors pushed me, but were so friendly and welcoming along the way. The staff was absolutely incredible in every way (I miss just hanging out with them too)! And the people I worked with at my internship site were total inspirations to me. I miss London every single day, and I would not trade the experience I had there for anything. If you're reading this review, DO IT. APPLY NOW. I promise you won't regret it.

Cassie
Columbia, Missouri
University of Missouri- Columbia

In Love with London

Overall

I loved my experience in London and I'm not sure if that is because of the CAPA program or the city itself. I miss London every single day, it was the time of my life. I grew as a person and I have more of a global mindset than I did in January before I left. The CAPA program at Mizzou is different from other CAPA programs with different universities so my experience was a bit different. My classes were chosen for me and I was with only Mizzou students. I took a class with the Mizzou professor who came abroad with us for the semester and British life and culture class with a CAPA professor. I loved the CAPA class, it was like a weekly field trip to places in London I wouldn't have gone to otherwise. I am a big believer in that any experience is what you make of it. I made the best of my four months in London because I had been dreaming about it for years. CAPA will help you with anything you need, you just need to ask for it. They will switch your internship if you aren't happy and work really hard to make sure you are happy while in London. I recommend the program to anyone willing to take the jump across the pond for the semester.

I would give students the chance to be more involved in their internship placements. The internship portion of my program was a large reason why I chose it and while I ended up enjoying my placement I would've like the chance to pick between a few different agencies so I could see which one I thought would be more beneficial. I was in a small agency that focused on technology clients and I wanted a large agency that focused more in entertainment PR.
Kellie

Living the dream

Overall

When applying for the program I was looking to get an experience where I would be able to experience the day-to-day life of a Londoner and CAPA provided exactly that. The apartments I lived in Camden were above what I was expecting and it was nice to live with all the other students in the program. The location of the apartment was in a very trendy area that offered different things to do everyday within a short walk. I was also provided an oyster card for the duration of the program that made it possible for me to explore all of central London. Being able to take the tube daily to get to my internship or class made it easier to relate to people permanently living in the city and made me feel like I was a Londoner.

The staff of CAPA were very helpful before my arrival and after. All of the information I could have wanted was provided to me and the staff were always available to assist me when needed. The internships team was especially helpful when my original placement company told me that there was no work for me. The internships team worked to find me a new placement within a couple days and kept me updated on what was happening. Throughout the entire program I always felt like I was living in a dream and always knew that I had support if needed.

When applying to the program there was not a lot of information on example internship placements which was worrisome to me. Providing testimonies from students who completed internships in multiple fields would be helpful to giving students a better understanding of the types of placements available.
Katie
Walsh University

An excellent summer adventure

Overall

CAPA is a great experience. It gives you the chance to get in some real work experience and try out living on your own but you still have a great safety net in place. The staff is incredibly helpful and great to just stop in to chat with or ask for advice on where to go in London. The classes were fantastic. I did an internship and took the British Post War Pop Culture class. Take that class. It was a blast, and I learned more about London, and navigating London than I could have learned on my own. MY internship was great and really helped me narrow down my career interests. The only downsides to this program are the expenses (living the apartments incurred serious food bills), and culture immersion. If you are just looking to immerse yourself in British culture and surround yourself with Brits you may be disappointed. Definitely choose to do a home stay if that is your goal. You'll meet great people living in the apartments but they will mostly be Americans.

I would want more details on the internships earlier if possible. We received our internship and housing assignments a mere 2 weeks before take off and that can be stressful and hard to plan for when you are studying abroad for six weeks.
Jacquelyn
Frederick, Maryland

CAPA London - A Good and Safe Academic Environment

Overall

I had never lived anywhere near a city before I studied abroad in London, so this program was the best opportunity for me to learn to adapt to a more urban environment. CAPA was very good about helping me adapt to foreign living through its orientation that spanned over the first few days after arrival. It also helped that CAPA's London headquarters is located at a renovated Victorian-style mansion, giving the school's appearance a rich and almost 'homey' vibe to it.

My flat was well-stocked with all of the dishes and cookery that I and my flatmates needed, and the flat itself was located right in the heart of the city. As such, I was gifted with the incredible opportunity to be able to walk to whatever museum or attraction that I wanted to.

The classes were enriched with field trips and assignments that encouraged travel around the city and allowed for students to gain a greater cultural understanding of the city itself. I know that I personally spent many hours in the museums (and the majority of them are only ten minutes away from CAPA's building!). Not only that, but the program package also comes with a tour trip of Stonehenge, Bath, and other scenic locations far from the city that would otherwise be difficult to get to.

The academics could be more rigorous and challenging, and I would have appreciated spending more time with local students rather than fellow Americans. I also would have liked for the wifi to be a bit more reliable and unlimited.

Apart from those few complaints, the program itself is one that I would be quick to recommend to anyone interested in studying abroad.
Hillary
Newark, DE
University of Delaware

Study in London with CAPA!

Overall

London was an amazing city to study in, and CAPA made it even better. Being able to live in flats as if we were real Londoners was a great experience and made me feel very independent. Our classes were definitely rigorous, but not enough that it made me feel like I was missing out on seeing London by doing work instead. Overall, CAPA was great, they helped us plan activities and gave us ideas of things to do in London, and in and around Europe.

The classes are a little lengthy, and I wish we had classes that were a bit shorter in length or two sessions a week of the same class with shorter lengths. The wifi in London is spotty, and hat is something that CAPA could have worked on for the actual classrooms, as well as our living arrangements.
Meghan
New York

A Semester of a Lifetime in London!

Overall

Life in London is like nothing you could ever imagine. Waking up each morning to the hustle and bustle of this beautiful city is something that I could never imagine getting old. Each morning I rode the tube to my internship at King's College Hospital where I worked with dietitians, learned the ins and outs of the British health care system, and got hands on experience in my future career! When I wasnt at my internship or taking classes at the CAPA Center I was exploring the city, taking in the sights, and sampling the different cuisines that make up London! My free time was spent relaxing with my new found friends from around the world and on weekends I was lucky enough to be able to travel and experience new cultures and life styles first hand. Reflecting back on it now makes me realize how much I miss London Life and what I would do to go back and relive each one those days abroad.

The biggest complaint that I had about my program was the living conditions. Unfortunately I moved into my flat while it was in the process of being renovated and refurbished. Although the flats looked brand new and were very clean we encountered many problems with them throughout the semester including no wifi for the first month, a burst pipe, many power outages and broken furniture. Although we were compensated for our living conditions at the end of the semester it did cause a lot of stress on many of the students living there.
Deborah
Long Island, New York
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

London Calling: You Should Go, Too!

Overall

Studying abroad with CAPA International Education was a exciting, fulfilling, and wonderful experience. Every aspect of the program exceeded my expectations - the quality of the staff and teachers, and the programs offered outside of CAPA.
Your day-to-day schedule varies based on whether or not you have an internship, and what classes you take. You choose your own classes, all of which meet on various weekdays except Friday, and you create your own internship schedule. Your hour requirement for your internship varies on how many credits you are taking overall.
I took three classes - one of which was a required class for my internship - and, as indicated, I had an internship. One of my classes was European Government and Politics, and the other was Citizenship and Gender in Modern Europe.
My internship was at the Turkish Cypriot Community Association. I was their legal inten. I revised and re-categorized their policies and procedures, revised their constitution, and created a skeleton for their business plan.
When going abroad through CAPA, I highly recommend taking classes and doing an internship. When speaking to people, those that did not have an internship did not have an enriching, learning experience as those who did have an internship.

I would have liked unlimited WIFI at my flat, and a weekly stipend for food.
Sophia
Milton, MA

Studying Abroad in London

Overall

I recently studied and interned in London at the CAPA program this past spring. It was the best decision of my entire life! Even though I was scared and nervous to be away from home for 3 1/2 months, by the end I didn't want to leave! The CAPA staff was friendly and helpful and found me a great internship working in an Event Sales office in a huge hotel. This was a perfect fit for me because I am double majoring in Business Management and Hospitality. Also, my classes (I took two) took me on at least one field trip a week so I got to see so much cool stuff around London that I may not have discovered otherwise. The other American students on the CAPA program made me feel really at home and I met some great people from schools all over the United States, as well as local Londoners through my internship. If you're having doubts about going abroad, GO. You may not get this chance to travel and get cultural experience ever again.

Lauren
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Amazing experience interning abroad in London!

Overall

Having the opportunity to intern abroad in London through the CAPA Program was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Being able to intern in an international city is something that will stay with me forever! Between the other CAPA students, CAPA staff, and being able to live in London I would recommend this program to everyone!

I would make there be more opportunities to interact with other locals. Maybe have an option to take a class with other UK citizens.
Jheri
Newark, DE

Great Time Abroad

Overall

My study abroad experience is the most important thing I've done in my life so far. Studying abroad opened my eyes to the world and CAPA was a large part of it.
The CAPA staff are extremely helpful. They are knowledgeable and relatable and always there to help. They are so nice and genuinely want to make sure you feel your voice is heard. They plan a lot of programs that are really great, such as henna workshops, curry nights and poetry readings.
The professors were also a key part of my great experience. The classes really focus on getting the students out of the classroom and out and about in the city for a literal hands on experience. Almost every other week, my professors were taking the students out to various parts of London, such as Highgate Cemetery and Greenwich.
Overall, the CAPA Program was an essential part of what made my study abroad experience what it was: the most amazing four months of my life.

If I could change one thing about the program, it would be the way the classes are set up. I felt that the information we learned and the out-of-classroom experiences were essential and actually an integral part of my experience. However, I felt that the classes assigned a lot of busy work, which was not ideal. I also would have liked more interaction with British students.
Elizabeth

Life Changing

Overall

I know that I went to London for academics, but I came back with a spiritual vigor that I didn't think I would have in my young age. I will never change that for anything.

The program was awesome!

If I could have changed one thing, it would have been that I could have had exposure to London students, as in being in class with them, experiencing the lecture, and how their professors teach in a classroom context.
Kiley
Tempe,Az

I want to go back

Overall

I would do anything to go back to London right now. It was the most amazing experience in so many ways. I had a fantastic internship that really enhanced my knowledge. I met some amazing people and got to travel England and Europe with. The tube may seem crazy at first but you'll get the hang of it and you'll miss it when you leave!

The attendance policy
Lauren
Butler, PA
Westminster College

Live the London Life

Overall

My experiences in London were definitely some of the greatest of my life. I learned so much not just about other people and cultures but also about myself and my own culture. Personally, I became more confident, more self-assured, and more independent. I saw that I could take care of myself and survive in the world. I was challenged to adapt and deal with problems on my own. I was able to garner a new understanding of the world and global relations. It's truly impossible to put into words how deeply my study abroad experience affected me. It was easily the best decision I have ever made and I would do it again in a heartbeat. CAPA was always there to answer questions and point me in the direction of a new adventure!

The wifi connection for students in their housing was not always at its peak which made doing homework difficult. In general, the resources available were not what I was used to from my home institution and sometimes it was very frustrating.
Imani
NYC

Study Abroad the CAPA Way

Overall

My semester abroad in London was absolutely fantastic thanks to the CAPA International Education program. I was housed in one of the trendiest neighborhoods in London, provided with transportation (as apart of the program cost), challenged with difficult but interesting courses, and met some of the most amazing people in my life. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to study abroad in London.

Some of the housing areas did not have unlimited wifi. I'd try to change that for future students. It sometimes made doing homework assignments and research a little difficult.
Jorge
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona State University

An Experience you will not regret!

Overall

I had my doubts about studying abroad but once i arrived to London it all changed. It is definitely an experience that i will remember my whole life. The people and just how different the city is opens your eyes in to seeing how amazing the world is. I learned to better budget myself as everything in London is a bit more expensive especially the food. I know that i changed as a person and the experience is was something that i do not regret and even though at the beginning it might be a struggle because of the culture shock you will fall in love with everything the city has to offer.

The one thing i would change is that it would be nice if the program offered some kind of food stipend like it used too because it would really help out because just the fact that we are living abroad is expensive enough.
Rebecca

London: It's for Everyone

Overall

My semester in London with CAPA has not only been the best semester of my life, but the overall best experience of my life. I learned a lot in the classes which were very interesting and had awesome professors. The coursework wasn't bad at all and each class was only once a week. For me, one of the most influential aspects of the semester was my internship. I did a 20hr/week internship which was 6 credits. I interned as a social worker with youth offenders and the experience was difficult yet extremely rewarding. I felt like I was making my time in London worthwhile not only for myself but for others as well. The CAPA staff were always there if you needed them but also didn't smother you if you were comfortable with the transition into the new culture. The housing I was placed in was great, it was walking distance to CAPA and located in a popular area with a tube station down the street. The CAPA program included day trips to Stonehenge and Bath and Stratford-upon-Avon which was nice to get us out of the city and show us more of England. I was able to balance time between classes and my internship to travel which was amazing. I feel as if I packed a lifetime of incredible experiences into one semester and I'm so thankful that I was able to do that. Overall, the CAPA program was a perfect one for me and for many others.

Sally

London At Full Speed

Overall

Arriving in London I didn't know what to expect, but the Capa program didn't waste any time to help me adjust. At full speed I was taking four classes and had a 20 hours a week internship. I loved that Capa placed me at a Theatre since my major is Theatre Arts. The class size were small and the professor really took the time to help you. Capa provided me such a rewarding experiences that I would do it all again, if I could.

Most importantly, I have learned to believe in myself more. My internship did this by letting me oversee the whole “We, Macbeth” production. I believe that I am capable to produce great things if I just stay positive. Being a Senior I am beyond nervous about leaving University, but after being a part of this internship , I have become more positive and feel that I am ready to graduate. Now I can do whatever I want, as long as I set my mind to it and believe in myself.

CAPA gave me a chance to study Theatre and hold an internship at a Theatre. The program gave me hands on experiences with offering an internship pertaining to my major.

Brittany
Oswego, New York

Go Live the London Life!

Overall

Studying and interning through CAPA London is the best decision I've made so far in my academic career. It was a great program that allowed me to make international connections both personally and professionally. What's great about CAPA London is that they are all about you getting the most out of your study abroad experience. They have so many events and are so helpful about making sure you're getting the most out of your internship placement. The city of London is so immersed in the classes in that you're constantly going on field trips around different parts of the city, museums, etc. Also, you're given an oyster card and can travel within zones 1-3 of London on the Underground. It makes it incredibly easy to get around and explore. My experience in London has helped me grow as a person. It's completely changed my life and I made life-long friends as well. If you're on the fence about studying with CAPA London, take the leap and do it! You won't regret it.

My major is Public Relations and I felt that the city of London really reflected the nature of PR: fast-paced and pretty unpredictable at times. I really wanted to do an internship abroad because I think it will give me an edge on my resume and plus it's something awesome to talk about in future interviews! My internship ran an event for the South Pole Allied Challenge 2013 in Trafalgar Square and I got to be only feet away from Prince Harry! Absolutely unbelievable!

Our accommodations were fantastic. I was placed in Hawley Crescent which is located in Camden. It was a great flat and Camden is such a hip area. You can shop in the Camden Markets and there's always such fantastic food in the stalls. Also, the grocery store is right across the street from the building which is super convenient.

I think the classes could be a bit more difficult, but it was really nice to have moderate classes since I was working 20 hours a week and also wanted to travel outside the country. CAPA London also no longer has a weekly meal stipend. It's incredible important to budget for food. It will likely be what you spend the most money on while you're there.

Also, I got along extremely well with my roommates. I made five new best friends, but I know that not everyone else had that experience.
Kelly

CAPA Intern

Overall

The CAPA program was rewarding in several ways. With the option to participate in an internship is especially rewarding. You fill out some forms of what you expect from your internship and a few weeks before you leave for your program you find out where you have been placed. You can either choose from a 15 or 20 hours at your internship site. I chose to do the 15 hours which was equivalent to 3 credits and it was perfect for my schedule. I was able to work Mon-Wedn. It left me with courses on monday, wednesday, and thursday. Fridays we get off which is great for exploring. CAPA also provided us with planned trips such as Stonehedge and Bath which was one of our first trips. Classes themselves were a breeze, never had any tests and homework was mostly just written papers which were not difficult according to course. All my classes were able to transfer to my University as required credits which is always a great thing. Food in London was a disappointment as it does taste different than American. Other than that this city has not left me disappointment. With the beauty of the city all possibilities are endless.

Kyleigh
Ellwood City, Pennsylvania
Westminster College

CAPA London - Highly Recommended!

Overall

CAPA London is one of the best programs out there! I did not do an internship, but I wish I would have taken advantage of this opportunity as CAPA placed many others in the program with excellent internships. The staff are all friendly and super helpful -- they truly care about the student. I lived with a host family and therefore had a rather unique experience compared to most students in the CAPA London program. CAPA did an excellent job matching me up with my host family and checked up on me routinely to make sure things were still okay at my host house. The CAPA professors do a fantastic job at incorporating your experience abroad into your academic studies and take advantage of the location of your study by having various class-related field trips throughout London. The CAPA location is in a safe and rather unique area in central London near many locals restaurants and shops. I would recommend the CAPA London program to anybody!

My most memorable experience with the CAPA London program was traveling to Bath and Stonehenge with the other students in the program to gain a more intimate knowledge of such a large part of world history.

I was not aware of many study abroad programs prior to studying abroad and my home university recommended CAPA. I am so glad they did!

My accommodations were unique as I stayed in a homes stay in London with a host family. The host family was very nice and I had my own room. I lived with other international students that were not part of the CAPA program, including, but not limited to, Italians, Dutch, French, Japanese, and Brazilian students. This was one of the most enriching experiences ever. Most of these students came to London to learn the English language. I had the pleasure of learning about these students' cultures and traditions as well as learning to adapt to others' way of life. The typical amenities we hold for granted in America were not as available in London. For instance, most British homes lack clothes dryers. I had to hang my clothes up indoors and wait days for them to dry. This was part of my learning experience as I had to learn to adapt and compromise with these conditions. I ate meals cooked by my host mother, most of which were actually really good! Please do not be reluctant or afraid to request to stay with a home stay -- it will be one of the most enriching learning experiences of your life!

CAPA also does an excellent job at showing you around! Many trips are included in the program, including local London trips, trips to other parts of England, such as Bath and Stonehenge, and many museum and educational trips throughout the city. Take advantage of these!

I wish the program would have done a better job on the first day abroad at getting students to know their host families. It felt as if you were picked up from the airport and dropped off at a location near your home stay were your host would then pick you up and take you to your house. It was a rather awkward and rushed experience. Also, although CAPA was courteous enough to pick students up from the airport, they did not drop stuents off at the airport for their return flights back to the states at the end of the program. Although I was very familiar with the city and had no major issues with getting to the airport, many students have large amounts of luggage, making it difficult to travel to the airport alone on public transport. Thus, many students choose to take a taxi to the airport which costs out-of-pocket for the student. At the end of the program, most students are out of money from their time abroad and can't afford a cab and are therefore forced to lug 2 large suitcases (or more), a large carry-on bag, a book bag or laptop case, as well as worry about public transport delays and/or pickpocketing while having so much to carry. I rather would have paid more in my program cost up front to have my airport transfer home taken care of.
Provider Response

Thank you for your thorough review. We appreciate the feedback about the home stay arrival and transportation. As the Westminster program is a custom program, and is not part of our standard CAPA London Program, Westminster selected the inclusions. They choose to have an airport pickup but decided to allow students to arrange their own airport transfer upon departure. Had Westminster decided to include the return the cost would have been built into your program fee initially, so you would have had to pay for it anyway, and we do feel that since there are so many options to get to the airport you probably would have been better off selecting the one that met your budget. The Tube is obviously the cheapest, and costs about $8.00 whereas the Heathrow Express is more like $50. However, we do understand that money can be very tight by the end of the program. We typically advise students to budget wisely throughout the program, and saving money (maybe 100 GBP) is wise to do for unexpected last minute expenses.

Regarding the awkwardness of the first day and arrival, we endeavor to ensure that students can get to their housing as quickly as possible since the first day you arrive very early in the morning and are tired from the overnight flight. Bringing you to the CAPA Center to have a meet and greet with the host family would extend your travel time by several hours, so we choose instead to have you go directly there. We can certainly look into some tips on how to make the transition easier on both sides.

Thank you again for your feedback.
- the CAPA team

Mary

Much more than I ever expeceted

Overall

Before I studied abroad, I didn't think that the culture or experience I would have in London would be much different than what I have experienced before. I was totally wrong. I had no idea how HUGE London really is and how many people from all over Europe and the rest of the world live and work there. London is truly a global city where it is normal to meet people from all over the world.

My internship placement with an international non profit organization called The Walkabout Foundation was incredible, and the highlight of my experience was the travel I was able to do independently.

I felt that my experience with CAPA helped me become a well-rounded traveler and student. I definitely recommend this program to anyone who is unsure about studying abroad because CAPA provides a lot of resources and help to those who need it. It is also a great program for someone like me, who is independent and needs space to do things on my own.

We were not told who our roommates were, where we were living or where we were working until 2 weeks before we left. Having a little longer to research our placement and talk to our roommates would have put my mind at ease.
Jen
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
University of Delaware

Studying in London- the time of my life!

Overall

This was by far the best semester of my life! I gained greater personal independence and confidence in myself, plus a better understanding of global culture. I had the chance to travel extensively and become better acquainted with London! This semester has encouraged me to seek a career with significant international travel and it is due to my positive time abroad!

The housing was not that close to central London, and felt more like a family-oriented, suburban neighborhood. It was much farther and more isolated than other students' housing, and it definitely changed the experience.
Nicole

Can I go back now?

Overall

CAPA valued school very highly so I attended my classes from Monday to Wednesday. Meaning I spent most of those days on the London Underground, also known as the Tube. I have never been fond of public transportation, but I loved taking the Tube everywhere. It made me feel like I was a part of the London culture and helped me learn valuable tells of me being an America, like "No one talks on the Tube. Ever." You talk on the Tube you have a flashing light over your head now that says "TOURIST". I of course thought this to be funny and mostly ignored it when I was with friends and we all shared a laugh over the funny looks we got from other passengers.
When I was not in school though I spent my time like any other normal college student in a foreign country. Trying to find as many places to go in a short span of time. London is where I made friends that became like family, the trips I took with all of them around Europe just cemented the fact that these were people I can no longer live without.

How the school handles tube closures or delays. I know that it is hard to fit every single CAPA student into a neat little area but living in the furthest flat complex from the school meant I sometimes had trouble getting to classes because of snow/rain delays or closures. Telling the students that they should plan for this is very unhelpful for someone who doesn't normally have to deal with such problems coming from the desert. I loved my flat complex in Ealing, the borough was lovely and the people were very welcoming. My only problem was what happens if I don't get to classes because my train has stopped because the tracks are covered with ice.
Kmckovich
Tempe, AZ

Best Experience Abroad

Overall

I loved the CAPA program because you can tell the staff really care about the students. Anytime there was a problem they helped right away and always had a positive attitude. I also enjoyed the events they had every week to allow students to learn more outside the classroom and were free! This program does everything possible to make sure their students have a safe and an amazing time abroad.

I would add more classes to give more variety so students with different majors could attend and still get important classes done while abroad.
blair.s
Northeastern University

Best Four Months of my Life!

Overall

I learned how to live in a huge city but still make it feel like home. I learned a lot about myself and my capabilities to adapt to new situations and environments. Would definitely recommend CAPA - I took great classes and they offered amazing day trips and activities that made London more exciting!

vicelysg
University at Buffalo- SUNY

CAPA, London

Overall

This was an amazing experience! Very glad that I did it. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I had the opportunity to meet new people not only from London but also people through out the USA. I was able to develop some friendships as well as to have a great support group.

The only thing is that I wished the apartments were bigger. However, I did spend that much time in there anyways so it was not a big deal.
Lianne
Lawrenceville, NJ

That really happened?

Overall

Going abroad was the best decision I have ever made. It forced me to be completely independent, separated from friends and family at home. It forced me to grow up. Being on my own also really helped to give me a sense of who I am as an independent adult, not as a unit with the people I have been with my whole life. I found out how smart I am and how well I can take care of myself. Most importantly it allowed me to see and experience people and cultures completely different from that of my own. People are products of our lives and surroundings, how can we truly know what we love and who we want to be if we only know one place or group of people? I am still learning about myself everyday as a result of this experience. I wouldn't take it back for anything in the world, it was truly the best time of my life.

I would like to see more interaction with local students. I feel as though I was only exposed to Americans through my program.
Emily
Buffalo, NY

Overall, I could not have been happier with CAPA London or my semester abroad.

Overall

Living in London and attending CAPA was the best semester of my life. The school building was so cute and quaint. All my teachers knew so much about the world and the subjects they were teaching. The social scene in London was a blast and the friends I made here will last a lifetime.

If I had to change one thing about my semester abroad it would be where my housing was located. I was living in the suburbs of London and I would have preferred to be right in the city. The commute to class was 40 minutes and taking the night buses home at night was difficult at times.
Emma
Newbury, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Best experience of my life!

Overall

I spent my Spring semester of junior year with the CAPA abroad program. The four months that I lived, worked, and studied in London were some of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life. The friendships I made were first and foremost what I feel most lucky to have gained, but also to have had the opportunity to work in my field in another country was an opportunity of a lifetime. I was able to work with professionals in my field of interest and actually apply knowledge I learned in college. I feel as though my studies and work in London have truly prepared me for a future in my profession. When you are placed into a completely new environment, you are truly tested to see how you will respond. Your new surroundings can affect your life either in a positive or negative way but I felt only a positive influence from my time in London. The experience made me feel braver and stronger living on my own, and gave me the courage that I can do anything I strive to do in life. I truly feel blessed and thankful for the opportunity of studying, working, and living in London. I traveled extensively through Europe and created memories that will last a lifetime. I was so sad to see it come to an end, but I keep remembering how much knowledge and wisdom I gained from my experience and how that will stay with me always.

CAPA made the experience better than I could have ever asked for. When we first arrived in London, the CAPA staff met us at our flat and were there to help us settle in. They walked us around our neighborhood and really helped make us feel comfortable with our new home for the next couple months. Even as the semester went on, the CAPA staff always made themselves available to their students even on the weekends if we needed them. The professors that taught our classes were so passionate about what they were teaching, and almost every class used famous landmarks to incorporate the London culture into the curriculum. CAPA also really took pride in the internships they offered their students. They really tried to exactly place each student in their top choice of internship. The program also incorporated a lot of different kids from around the United States, and I made life long friends from different states that I would have never known if it wasn't for CAPA international program. I highly highly recommend this study abroad program. You will not regret it!

Better support financially with food!
michaeljgutierrez
Auburn, AL
Auburn University

Studied and Interned in London with CAPA

Overall

I studied and interned in London, UK with CAPA in spring 13'. It was honestly one of the highlights of my life. CAPA placed me in an internship with a small multimedia company where I got to work on so many different projects and people. A lot of my class included field studies where I got to see and explore the city in depth. I gain so much experience and learned so much about the culture and myself. I would highly recommend studying in London with CAPA.

A longer roommate application process. A bigger push for students to use the Facebook group more while on the program. Students used the group a lot before leaving but then very rarely posted when we were actually in London.
scortes

CAPA London

Overall

I had an amazing time with CAPA International Education in London. Although it was initially daunting to be dropped in the middle of such a huge city with a bunch of random people, it turned out to be one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had in my life. CAPA was really good about trying to get you acclimated to British culture and customs. They never lacked knowledge on how to handle various cultural situations that we as Americans were not accustomed to. They were able to provide a lot of help and support in many different arenas. They also had a wide variety of interesting classes and internships available to the students. One particularly memorable class I took was Post-War British Popular Culture with Moe Dodson. He was very intelligent and toted his students all over London; places that one would never even imagine existing. It was an amazing class and made for a memorable experience. CAPA also offers a wide variety of trips and tours within London as well as outside of the country. If you do study with them it would definitely be in your best interest to take advantage of these offerings. Through CAPA I was able to have an amazing cultural adventure and make life long friendships as well as gaining much needed work experience. I highly recommend going on this program if you want to get work experience outside of the United States and have an overall amazing time.

If I had to change one thing about the CAPA program it would have to be how the internship selection process for the students works. I think their method of choosing can be a bit vague and confusing for the students applying.
Lori
Boston
Northeastern University

Loved London Life

Overall

Do something new everyday! Travel on the weekends! Don't be afraid to make new friends! Everyone is in same boat! Loved my classes! Loved my location in Kingston, loved everyone I lived with! Just a great time!

I would say students should maybe get 50 pounds a week, instead of the 40. Just because London is so expensive, to future students make sure you bring a lot of money, and budget day to day.
wilsonga
New Jersey
Rider University

Best experience of my life!

Overall

I learned so much from my experience abroad that it is hard to pin point on specific moment. Something I would like to touch on would be finding out about the differences in theatre there versus theatre in the United States. I found myself much more at peace with the arts in London then I have ever felt in the United States. It was amazing to see the differences and understand how they are perceived by the people of their societies. I loved learning about this and definitely will carry it through my own career within the arts. This experience was completely worthwhile and I just wish that everyone would be able to have a chance to study abroad.

A larger course selection to choose from!
Bar9
Maryland

London Town Oh London Town

Overall

When arriving to London it was very challenging because I had no cell phone to rely on for directions. I had to actually rely on instinct, and logic to get from paddington to Camden town. It did not take me long ( two days) to figure out how to use the tube.

During the week I had classes till Thursday so my weekends were free to do whatever I wanted to do. I usually would wake up late, and then venture out until the morning time.

I really did not encounter any difficulties while I was in London, except when it snowed for one day. I am use to there being delays, but in this city there was none.

If I had to change one thing about program it would be the class times. I felt that certain classes did not need a three hour long class time.
HappywithCAPA
Boston, Massachusetts

CAPA - a Cool Awesome Program Abroad

Overall

(See what I did there). But seriously, all cheesy titles aside, CAPA is an excellent program. It is a smart fit for you if you are considering advancing yourself in the professional world and if you want to something different and life changing.

I studied in London, my fall semester of 2012. Adjusting was strange, but I felt the CAPA program tries its best to help me. Well before I arrived in London, I was given a big packet of information with nearly every question I had answered. Arriving at housing for the first time, we were given a welcome tour of the neighborhood we were to be part of for the next couple months. Staff was available for questions, advice, and even just to listen.

My housing was nice, it’s not like staying at the Ritz, but it’s good. We had housing keeping come, which helped us a lot. I didn’t find my flat to be crowded and I lived with 5 other roommates.

Your Visa allows you to work 20 hours a week since you also attend classes and attendance is mandatory. Classes are with the Americans who also part of the CAPA program, so you get to form friendships. I loved that my internship was with mostly British people and it was in the center of London, in the midst of excitement. It helped me learn more about the British culture and make new friends and connections. CAPA truly wants you to get immersed in British culture. The program organizes tours and trips that teach you about the culture, people, and history of London. Try to go on as many of these outings as you can.

Looking back now on the experience, I’m glad I did an internship and studied abroad. CAPA allowed me to balance both. CAPA program also allows you to have a good amount of free time to travel and sightsee.

If you’re having doubts about going to London, drop them! London is an amazing, diverse, and lively city. If you’re bored studying in London, you’re doing something wrong. There is so much to see and do, and while it’s expensive, it’s worth it. This makes me want to go back!

Although housing was nice, I would've changed the location of it. The neighborhood felt same but too far away from the heart of London and classes. Also, some of the furniture would fall apart.

Classes are too long and with all Americans, but I don't think that can be changed. But the professors are British and the ones I had were fascinating. Take classes that have field trips.

Carlie
Columbia, Missouri

Once is NOT Enough

Overall

I am not lying when I say this was the most worthwhile experience of my entire life. Having an internship abroad was the perfect experience. And not just any internship, but one with the NBC bureau. Not many programs have those type of connections, and the experience I gained there was invaluable. I felt behind before studying abroad, a lot of my peers had at least one internship under their belt. Any intimidations or worries I had about not adapting to London disappeared within a week. Soon, I was giving directions to tourists and could master the bus and tube schedule with ease! There were moments of homesickness, but I just went outside, hopped on a bus and just enjoyed watching the city. Sometimes it was a pain in the butt to pay for things with the awful exchange rate, but it really is all worth it and I wouldn't change a thing!By the time I got back from London, my friends who hadn't gone abroad were jealous of me!

CAPA should place students with other study abroad participants from different schools. That way I would've made other friends outside of my school's program.
AWillgoos
Easton, Massachusets
Stonehill College

Athletes can go abroad too!

Overall

Are you an athlete who is considering going abroad? Are you afraid that you won't be able to stay in shape once you reach your travel destination? Well if you chose the CAPA London program, don't have any worries. Placed directly in a major area of the city, the CAPA program is incredibly close to many gyms in which you can receive a discounted student membership. Personally, I went to regent's gym, which is actually on the Westminster University campus, and places you into an atmosphere with other university students. Another gym option that is closer to the CAPA academic building itself, is the Imperial College gym. Since CAPA is technically an offshoot of Imperial College, you receive an Imperial College student card, which also offers you a discount to the gym located on campus. So if you're an athlete or just someone trying to stay in shape, their are options for you!

In addition, if you are more of the running type, the city of London is a fantastic place to do a daily morning jog, or just a fun run every so often. Personally I enjoyed running along the Thames River at night, since everything from Parliament to the London Eye is lit up, and offers a amazing view for all joggers and walkers alike. Also, the parks surrounding CAPA offer incredible scenery, and some of them, such as Regents Park, even have a track!

But what is it that CAPA itself offers to athletes? Well, CAPA classes only meet once a week, and they meet for approximately three and a half hours each session. This allows for students to get their coursework done for the day in one stretch of time, leaving the rest of the day for personal activities, such as working out! If you are also interested in the internships that CAPA has to offer, you are allowed to negotiate your work schedule with your individual manager, which gives you the opportunity to leave plenty of free time to get your coursework done as well as a workout.

Finally, through the CAPA program, you are given a meal stipend based on the amount that your individual campus has negotiated. This means that you get to cook your own food, as opposed to swiping into a cafe and eating a cheeseburger and fries every day for lunch! For an athlete, this is ideal, being able to plan out your meals and eat exactly what you need for your body to develop allows for you to keep track of what you are eating, which for athletes and non athletes alike, is always beneficial.

Now, other than the ability to stay in shape, the CAPA program itself is absolutely incredible. The classes and professors are challenging, yet fair, and the opportunities that CAPA offers for you to explore the city and the surrounding area is rivaled by no other! Taking Harry Potter walking tours and trips into Bath are parts of a study abroad experience that are crucial, yet many programs do not arrange for their students. With a staff that truly cares for the students who are studying with them, you will never feel alone and will always have the ability to do a fun and interesting activity every week!

If I had to change this program in one way it would be how spread out many of the students housing is. While it is understandable that getting housing in a global city such as London is difficult, I was about an hour away from some of my friends from other universities. While taking the tube was quick and easy, being in a close proximity to the other CAPA students would allow for an even tighter community to develop!
Bboydarx
Pullman, Washington

Most Rewarding Experience Ever!

Overall

So this was my first travel abroad anything, so I was really nervous. The instructions by CAPA on how to get to my accomidaitons were on point from the get go. I was able to make it to my residence safe and fast. They were also very accomidating since I was arriving a day late. All in all CAPA set me up with two classes that were relevant to my degree, as well as an internship. The classes weren't to stringent as far as the work load. They were pretty strict on the attendance of the classes though. The internship was GREAT that they set me up with. I being a psychology and sociology major was set up working at a community youth organization in Camden Town. I had the most rewarding experiences working with my internship. The staff, volunteers, and kids i got to know were amazing. I was able to go on trips with them and help them with community projects. I became and inspiration to the at risk youth I was serving--an experience that I will always cherish professionally and personally.

The overall CAPA experience was great though. They had many structured events and tours that were spread out all throughout my study abroad. I was able to see some of the touristy sites with the group of CAPA students that I otherwise probably would not have seen. It was great too!!

As far as my living accomidations and such, they were fairly impressive. I didn't know what to expect walking into my residence and when I did I felt right at home. The only thing about the residence was that I was able to make friends with everyone staying in and around my flat building, but the other CAPA students where were located on the other side of town or in homestays I wasn't able to connect with as easily. All in all though it was fun and easygoing. Also CAPA gives you a 40 pound stipend each week which helped with the food costs and other miscellaneous expenditures I had.

I honestly didn't have many difficulties if any. I am personally an independent and well supported individual so I didn't have any of the common difficulties that some may of had. There were a couple instances where others in the progam had been victims of petty theft but that was always during big events unassociated with CAPA.

If I could offer a piece of advice to anyone considering traveling abroad, HAVE FUN! You make your experience not anybody else! Enjoy!

If I had to change one thing it would be more stipend money :P. Also more chances to interact with CAPA faculty and staff. I had a great time at the last even with all the staff and faculty, but would have liked it more if there were more of those events throughout the term.

Also on the tours where there were tour buses, they need buses with bathrooms. I had to stop the bus to go pee. :/
chloen91
Worcester, MA

Global Experience

Overall

The best things about the program are all of the events and activities CAPA offers to students and really encourages to take part in. Many of them focus on culture and diversity, which a cool and unique aspect because the events aren't just touristy. The classes and professors that teach them are also really great at encouraging (and even requiring) students to get out and experience London.

My particular internship was a good placement for my and I gained really beneficial skills that have already helped me land interviews.

The negatives for me were really just the communication between CAPA and the internship sites once we began our placements. Also, some people may not like the aspect of being semi-isolated from local students and life, but this is something to know before going into the program.
lawalke4
Phoenix, AZ

The Ultimate Study Abroad Experience

Overall

I studied abroad with CAPA International Education during the Fall 2012 semester and could not be happier with my decision. I chose the program mostly due to the internship component and was very happy with my placement; the program has a whole staff for internships alone and students are placed with companies based on their interests and future goals. Most people I talked to were relatively happy with their placement. I loved going abroad with other Americans to have that familiarity when in a foreign country. I also loved having such a great staff there if I had questions or needed help with something, which I did a number of times over the semester. The housing was really nice and well-maintained, with maintenance and cleaning in the building all the time. My flat was located about 10 minutes from the CAPA center, which was really convenient, but there were buildings in multiple London neighborhoods. I always felt safe in my neighborhood. The classes were pretty low-stress- once a week, three hours long, and no excessive work.

I wish the pre-departure information and directions had been a little clearer. There was a flurry of info given all at once that I was never completely sure of what I was supposed to be doing. I wish there had been a little more direction. I also wish the internship placement, class schedule, and housing assignment had been sent out more than 2 weeks before departure.
JRL

An Amazing Program with Great Opportunities

Overall

The Internship was an amazing experience. CAPA has great connections in their cities. I loved all my experiences and opportunities that were available through CAPA and my internship.

The courses where taught by British Professors, who were very knowledgeable and passionate about their subject. They do hold you to the high standard of academics in Britain. They are very paper, essay exams, and presentation oriented instead of multiple choice exams. The classes are all American students, but students get a student card from the nearby University, Imperial College, in order to join clubs, teams, and social events. CAPA also has "MyEducation" events that bring students into cultural activities.

The CAPA advisers where extremely nice and helpful. Many of the staff where previously students on the program and are willing to help students in anyway. They also have great advise and suggestions for the city and travel. The administration is also very strict. They have man rules and they do not mess around. You will get sent home if you disobey. There is also a very strict attendance policy. They do have a good orientation that helps new students fully understand the rules, safety, and opportunities of the program and city.

The Internship class was a waste of time and unorganized, but you have to take it if you have an internship, which is worthwhile.
Ash2o318
Albany, NY
University at Albany- SUNY

Craving CAPA

Overall

CAPA International Education Program was an incredible experience. I actually felt excited to get up and leave the house every morning, no matter how early, even on days full of classes. The program offered so many opportunities to get out and see the country, including tours of London, as well as a trip fair at which you could plan student tours to other countries as well.
In terms of day-to-day life, CAPA offered its students housing in either a host family's home or in student flats (apartments) in different neighborhoods in London. To those in the flats, they gave a weekly 40 pound stipend for groceries, and those in host's homes were provided food by the families. In addition, each student is given an unlimited oyster card for the length of their stay. All of this was included in the tuition paid for the program before departure.
CAPA also had an amazing internship program in which students were placed at top-rated companies for work. It was affiliated with Imperial college, one of London's top universities, which allowed for socialization beyond our American classmates to other students in England with whom we may not have otherwise socialized.
All-in-all, they create a program that is unforgettable and well worth the money.

The one thing I would change is to make all housing more central because some of the students were housed farther from central London and therefore could not experience the more prominent locations as easily as others, and had to travel longer distances.
zachn
Clark University

London is crowded and awesome

Overall

Everyday I took the subway (known as the Tube) to either classes or my internship. Sometimes I took the bus. Commuting everyday made me feel like an actual Londoner, which was a really unique experience. I don't think I ever really felt like a student studying abroad because I was immersed in London's day-to-day culture and not so much academia.

Classes with other English students!
Rose
Binghamton, New York
Binghamton University

A City without Limits

Overall

When I first arrived in London, I already had the odds against me. I was with people that were not from my school because I had done the program through another institution (SUNY Oswego--I am from SUNY Binghamton). I knew it was going to be a challenge to reach out amongst my new peers; not only that but to adjust to an entirely new city. The first weeks were tough and I even had to switch into a home stay due to difficulties in my apartment, but the CAPA staff was 100% supportive and was always there to help with any little issue I had at all. They assigned me to a host family that not only was very sweet and caring but also shared my interests of politics, television, and sports -rugby! The Tube was very simple to learn to navigate; getting to class was a piece of cake and was centered in one of the most beautiful parts of the city, South Kensington. The classes I took were all relevant to my studies back home and each Professor was unique in their own way in terms of teaching style. One of the best parts about this program is our access to the clubs/societies at the Imperial College of London where you are free to join various organizations to meet local students in the area. I joined the debate society and have made life long friends from it that I keep in touch with. The other students in my program were also very diverse; there were students from California, Colorado, Missouri, Florida, Massachusetts, all over the states! You not only get to meet London Students, but students from around the States as well. The city is breathtaking and you are offered many cultural opportunities to experience all London has to offer. From trips to the Brewery, to Hikes around the financial district, I got to see more than I ever thought possible. Studying Abroad was the best decision I have made thus far in college and CAPA gave the proper experience any student should have.

As a member of the student council during my program, I was able to obtain feedback from other students on the program on how it could improved more. One major thing that could be incorporated into the program are more events involving all the students so everyone can get a chance to meet and expand their line of friends. There were some events but many felt there should be more towards the start of the program so people do not get sucked into small cliques of students from their own schools. Another suggestion was access to facilities such as a Gym or another School Library as the study space in CAPA is quite small and can overcrowd easily with people doing their work. One last suggestion would be later building hours so students have more time to work; the building is only open till about 8:00 pm. Aside from those suggestions, the program was really quite fantastic!
Shelby
New Jersey

CAPA London

Overall

I absolutely loved the CAPA London Program. I studied there in Fall of 2012. The staff is so helpful and nice. They gave us a lot of tips about London and traveling throughout Europe. As soon as we arrived, they made us feel at home. The classes we're helpful for my major, even being taught by British professors. We had great housing and I made some amazing friends. CAPA gave us a lot of opportunities to travel and do cultural things all throughout London such as Curry Night in Brick Lane, a river cruise and tour of Greenwich, A day trip to Stonehenge and Bath, and much more. We even had an organized weekend trip to Paris with the CAPA London Staff. It was amazing. I was also given the chance to do an internship and I learned so much and really enjoyed the internship and the people that I worked with. I don't have a bad thing to say about CAPA or their London program. It was an amazing experience and I wish I could go back already!

I wish my grades transferred back to my home institution to count towards my GPA rather than just credits. I also don't think the classes needed to be 3 and a half hours long. Other than that there is nothing negative about CAPA.
Shaun
Monroe, New York
State University of New York- New Paltz

Great Experience

Overall

I had a wonderful time during my fall semester in London. The CAPA staff provided fun and CHEAP activities to explore the city in a variety of different ways. The internship staff worked diligently to find me the type of placement I wanted related to my academic course of study. My housing was placed in the center of London and the CAPA staff taught us how to use the public transit which can get confusing. CAPA gave us the sense of security but did not treat us like children. CAPA professors were nice and understood that we are studying abroad (if you catch my drift) I think about London all the time and can not wait to revisit.

Meal plan if possible. Maybe longer hours of operation as well
Benjamin
Collegeville PA
Ursinus College

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Overall

There are only a handful of cities in the world that have the influence, size, and beauty that London possesses. Its a gorgeous and relatively safe city for its size and diverse makeup. Living in a city like London allows you to experience things like efficient public transportation, diverse food and art, and an unprecedented social scene. A definite plus for living in London for many Americans is that they speak English, however there are so many other languages spoken as well, including French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, etc. London truly is a cosmopolitan city. For instance a typical weekend night for me included speaking with someone from England, Italy, Bangladesh, Australia, and Latvia all within a couple of hours. And the people are really nice! 99% of the time when they find out you are an American, they are delighted to ask you questions or talk about when they visited New York City, Miami, Los Angeles etc. If you are looking for a city where you feel like you are at the center of the world, London is right for you. It was the perfect fit for me.

My personal living arrangement was not where i had pictured living. Although it was very nice and safe, it was more in the suburban part of the city, where i wanted a much more urban feel. Other students lived in these areas, it just so happened that i was in the particular group out West.
erweber
Highlands, New Jersey

A Once in a Lifetime Experience in London

Overall

My experience with CAPA was nothing sort of incredible. I was housed in a safe and beautiful flat in central London and provided with multiple resources to help adjust to the new city. I can confidently say that i learned more through the classes that i enrolled in with CAPA than i have at any other educational institution. The professors not only apply classroom concepts to reality but they also take their students out of the classroom to explore and learn through practice. Though the classes weren't a piece of cake, they were more than manageable due to the teaching styles and values of the staff. Though i worried about how easy it would be to assimilate with the locals, i never had a poor experience interacting. As a matter of fact i made some of my best friends through this program. CAPA also provides resources to travel around as well as outside of the city making it easy to see everything you want to! Though i spent a fair amount of time in class, i was still able to explore London inside and out as well as travel to many other cities in Europe. After completing my semester abroad i not only have an addiction to traveling but i have also obtained many new personality traits that will help me post graduation!

I would ask them to make it longer!
TheConstantTraveler
Florida

The Best Semester Ever!

Overall

My semester in London, even with its ups and downs, was my best semester ever. London was such an amazing city. I ended up staying for 10 extra days after my program ended. Even though I was there for over 3 months, I never ran out of things to do and did even get to do everything I wanted to experience.

CAPA placed us in a nice, centrally located area (although the housing situation was a bit cramped, to be expected in the UK). Because of the location, I was right in the hustle and bustle of everything and was able to easily access pretty much EVERYTHING. CAPA also conveniently provided us events to further ease of immersion and integration into the city of London including field trips and day trips. They even offered extended weekend and holiday trips to other parts of the UK and Europe.

The Staff at CAPA in London were very courteous, helpful, and all British and therefore able to give me further insights into the city that is now my second home.

Housing: Although the location was convenient, I felt cramped in the housing (not just because it was housing in London, but because some rooms had 3 students and there were 5 students/flat). Students in the same CAPA program, but from different Universities had much nicer accommodation (single rooms, newer/updated living space, limited internet, etc.), albeit in different locations, which was much newer and more spacious.
Danning
University at Buffalo- SUNY

It's beyond the price tag; it's something you'll never forget about!

Overall

What did you gain/learn from your experience abroad? Was it worthwhile?
CAPA London is one of the most diverse, successful study abroad program as I know of, and definitely the most amazing experience in my life! It totally opened up a new world of mine in terms of career perspectives, cultural understandings, friendships, etc. People in London are the nicest and most awesome. And the things you can do there have a sky's limit. It should be something you're considering doing if you've heard about it; and if you are going, it is something you can definitely expect beyond anything else!

a. Could find better housing.
b. Could provide more social/academic activities with local university students.

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome to CAPA: The Global Education Network. For over 40 years CAPA has been changing students’ lives by immersing them in various cultures around the world.

Through coursework, internship opportunities, and My Global Education cultural activities you will participate in challenges that excite and inspire you. Enjoy creamy gelato as you learn about the renaissance, or lose yourself in Shakespeare as you recall his words steps from where they were written. However you choose to do it, make your study abroad experience your own, and find yourself in a second home you will never forget.

*While we only accept US students and provide undergraduate credit, some exceptions may apply. Contact a CAPA admissions adviser today to talk about what will work best for you.