CAPA London: Study & Intern Abroad

A perfect view of London from the famous London Eye!
A perfect view of London from the famous London Eye!
London Tower Bridge
London Tower Bridge
Harrod's
Harrod's
Camden Town
Camden Town
This is the kitchen in my flat. The laundry is located in the kitchen in almost all flats of London. There are also no dryers, just washers.
Big Ben
here are some pictures from the Great Wall, and old water town, a temple, Yellow Mountain, the Bund and Shanghai Tower (the 2nd tallest building in the world)

With more than 270 nationalities living in London and more than 300 languages spoken, it is a truly diverse, multicultural city where influences from across the globe are woven throughout almost every aspect of life. London is a hub of innovation with a thriving arts scene, emerging fashion designers and an entrepreneurial tech crowd to rival that of Silicon Valley. It’s also a city steeped in history with evidence of events and life from centuries past.

The CAPA London program is in our own center, inside two connected Victorian townhouses, located in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration.

You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, My Global City events, and an (optional) internship placement.

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

April

Summer 2019 in London

The experience that CAPA provided me was a once in a life time opportunity. It really helped me grow as a student, a professional, and a culturally aware member of society. It pushed me completely out of my comfort zone and forced me to gain skills and confidence. Having an internship with a company in another country allowed me to widen my perspective and work with people from all over the world. I never thought I would get to work with people from Ireland, Britain, Russia and Mexico all in the same office, but CAPA gave me that chance. There were times where I felt CAPA was a little unorganized and had a communication disconnect between them and my company. Despite that, I got so much out of this experience and would do it all over again.

I think CAPA could improve with their communication. Before I left for London there were days where I had no idea what I needed to get done before leaving. This included things like how to get a Visa or what airport to book my flight into. I ended up getting a lot of help from CAPA representatives, but I felt like they could have made the process smoother for us students.
Whitney

London and More!

I studied abroad in London for 3 months. While I was abroad I had the chance to go to 9 additional countries and experience a multitude of different cultures. I interned and volunteered while abroad. I spoke with many people about how Brexit was affecting their lives and their experiences migrating to the UK. In a manner of 3 months, I grew as a person and became more independent. I traveled all over with two friends and we became super close throughout the entire semester. Aside from the staff at CAPA and my friends, my biggest support system while in London was my host family. They were there to answer any questions I had and to help me when I and my friend lost our travel cards. Having a host family was the best decision I made while abroad, and I can't wait to go back to see them.

Plan well in advance. My friends and I traveled through Italy and Greece during our midterm break, we did this for about $600 per person accommodations and travel included. Some of our other classmates took similar trips and waited too long to book, they had to pay twice as much for the same trip.
Liliana

A Life Changing Experience

I had the opportunity to study abroad with CAPA in London in the spring of 2018. Deciding to study abroad was definitely out of my comfort zone but I knew I had to take the leap to further my learning and I am very glad I did. CAPA was very hands on throughout the whole application and pre departure process. I received a number of materials that answered all of my questions prior to crossing the pond. I wasn't very close with anyone else from my school who went to London but CAPA helped me find my community through my roommates, classmates, and also through cultural and social events put on throughout the semester. There were a number of walking and boat tours around the city and events such as curry nights and tea and biscuits in the CAPA center every Tuesday. These events gave us a little taste of the city and British culture. It is important to immerse yourself in the culture of your host country to get the most out of your experience. I even got sick while I was in London and the CAPA staff helped me book a doctors appointment right away, they were very helpful. Throughout my new living and learning environment in London, I was able to learn a lot about myself and the world around me. My experience abroad even led me to a career path in global education. I would love to work for CAPA one day and maybe even move back to London :)

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
While I was in London there was a light festival throughout the city called Lumiere London. The festival spans over 4 nights and showcases the architecture and streets of London with more than 50 art/light installations set up all over the city. It was one of our first weeks there so it was so fun to explore the streets of London while admiring all of the light displays. It is definitely a must if you study in London!
Liz

CANNOT recommend CAPA more!!!

Studying abroad in London has been a dream of mine since the beginning of High School. I've always thought I could learn so much more by going somewhere new and studying/interning. Also, an international internship on my resume? Heck yes! That looks awesome. That being said, my University has a program in London; however, they are renovating the place we normally stay in, so we studied abroad with CAPA instead. I was a bit hesitant because I was looking forward to studying abroad with my University's program, but the CAPA program was more than I every could have dreamt! They matched me with my absolute dream internship, and half of my classes during the semester were outside of the classroom, exploring different parts of London. The professors and staff at CAPA were super helpful (seriously, ask them for advice/places to eat/things to do!!), and my commute on the tube became one of my favorite parts of the day. I highly recommend trying to live in London, not just be a tourist there for 3 months. Find a local coffee shop that you love. Visit non-touristy parts of the city (Richmond is beautiful!). Embrace this experience-- everything that's fun, and hard, and incredibly about it. You won't regret it!

Rodrigo

My Study Abroad Experience

My study abroad experience was unique because I did a homestay in a city where people mostly live in an apartment. I was able to make friends with the locals and really immerse myself in the culture. I traveled to various countries and soaked in their culture and traditions. I recommend future students to get out of your comfort zone and visit as many places as you can. Try doing a solo trip because chances are that people your age are also doing the same thing. After my study abroad, semester it motivated me to work abroad and pursue a higher education in another country. I had so many great memories in each country and tried so many new foods. I recommend packing light, so you can room for more things to bring back home. I also recommend getting acquainted with the cities transportation to avoid getting lost.

Alexandra

I miss CAPA London

Learning through CAPA London was the most beneficial experience I could have asked for. The professors were passionate about their classes and made the syllabus straight forward. I learned far more than I expected and was able to engage in the environment and feel like a part of the culture in London. I discovered a lot about myself and came home the best version of myself that I could be. I honestly felt like a resident of the city by the time I was leaving. It felt like I was leaving home when I was returning to the United States.

Emoni

A New Outlook on Life

Before going on this program, I have never been out of the country before. coming into this program was a nerve racking yet exciting experience. I love London and everything the city has to offer. CAPA did a great job of making us feel welcome and allowing us to be independent while also helping us to navigate the city. All in all, I would say that study abroad has been a huge commitment but I think it was definitely worth it. the friends and memories I have made in my short time here are something I never want to forgot. I am excited to share my experiences and memories with you all while I continue on this amazing journey.

Providing some more study spaces would be beneficial
Lindsay

Capa is more then a study abroad program

I studied abroad during Fall 2017 in London through the CAPA program. CAPA supplied me with a fantastic crew of supportive teachers and faculty, who helped me navigate London. I found my own path there and, in a way, discovered who I am. I am forever grateful for the people I met and the time I spent in London. I'm not one to encourage people to do anything. I would encourage anyone who wants to study abroad to do it through CAPA. The supply everything you need to have an amazing time, discover who you are, and learn. If I could go back to London tomorrow, I would. The program gives you three-day weekend, so you can go to other parts of Europe and explore. I went to Greece, Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium and many other countries. In each place I discovered something new, made new friends, and saw places and things I didn't dream I would ever see. CAPA is more than a study abroad program it's a transformative experience that will hold some of your greatest life memories.

I personally would not change a thing!
Hannah

Interning and Studying Abroad Changed me Personally and Professionally!

This program helped me grow so much. I gained confidence both personally and professionally. The internship has helped me land other internships since being back and has made me confident in what I would like to do in the future. I am also now much more confident in speaking to people from all over!

I loved the educational experience I had here! I was able to complete required classes for my Supply Chain Management major, such as economics and supply chain, but they had a global twist to them! Apart from that my internship counted for credit and I was able to take a fun class: pop-culture in the UK! All of my classes included 1 or more field trips in the surrounding London area!

The administration was super helpful! There was always someone at the desk when I arrived at CAPA to help me with places to eat, things to do, doctors appointments and many other things! The administrative team planned outings for all of CAPA students to attend. They were extremely helpful and supportive throughout the entire process.

The living was overall very satisfactory. I loved my roomates and the flat itself was super cute! The only reason I am not giving it a 5 star review is because it was very small, but what can you expect when living in nearly the center of a huge city! The proximity to the Tube and grocery stores were a definite plus. I'd live in my flat again in a heartbeat

For the most part I felt very safe. My specific flat location would recieve a 5 star review on safety, however, London is a large city and like most large cities it does have its sketchy areas. Be aware of this and make sure you know where you are going to end up!

London is an expensive city. Be prepared for that when you come. There are definitely ways to save though, such as not eating out constantly or enjoying free activities like walks through Hyde Park!

I would absolutely study here again!!

Emmie

The Best Study Abroad Experience I Could've Asked For

I studied abroad in London this past spring, and needless to say, the experience forever changed me. CAPA was the reason for this. Without this program and without their support throughout the semester, I wouldn't have been placed at an internship that broadened my view on the public relations world, I wouldn't have been able to travel around not only England but so many countries in Europe, and I wouldn't have formed so many meaningful connections. Now being selected as an ambassador, I get the opportunity to share with students on my campus how amazing this program is, and promote studying abroad as one of the best decisions you can ever make in college. Thank you CAPA!

Tehreem

A Life-changing Study Abroad Experience in London

CAPA offers a good variety of interesting courses for most majors. The coursework is easily manageable and the program faculty understands you are there to study as well as travel and explore. During my study abroad program, I was also doing an internship for academic credit. This was my primary reason for opting for studying abroad. My internship site was a management consulting firm in central London. I had a great learning experience not only because I was working in an international setting, but also because it gave me a chance to explore my career interests!

The CAPA administration is very organized and accommodating in most matters. They were always willing to answer any queries and were dedicated to ensuring all students had a safe and fun time abroad. Students from Clark University have a unique living arrangement because their housing accommodation is with Acorn Housing. This is a fully-furnished flat in Central London. It is located across Russell Square and Park. It is very convenient and safe.

London is a great place to try different cuisines and desserts. I would highly recommend visiting shops for gelato and crepes. My friends and I would usually cook at home. Surprisingly, groceries were very cheap in London. Whenever we were out we would try new restaurants or go to local food markets where you could get very tasty food at reasonable prices.

Living in London for about four months was probably not sufficient time to feel fully integrated with the local culture. While it was interesting to pick up on the little things from daily interactions and observations, I think it would require some more time to really indulge into the British culture.

I think it would be interesting to expand classes to include other students especially locals rather than just limiting them to Americans. This would create a great opportunity for students to directly interact and learn more about the local culture and expectations from students. The program could also arrange events that would focus on not only teaching about local history and sites, but also engaging with local residents to better integrate into the culture.
Hayley

London's Calling!

This program was amazing. The classes were very inclusive and informative but also tons of fun! The administration were very helpful and supportive throughout my time abroad. They were also very eager to answer my questions and give me advice.

I loved my flat building. The only thing that was difficult to live with was the lack of air conditioning. But, we were warned about that before our arrival! I also lived about 30 minutes from CAPA which meant on the days I had class, I would have to get up earlier but that was not a problem for me.

When it comes to food, I am a picky eater but I was always able to find some kind of food to eat! Grocery shopping was a challenge at first but once I got in a routine, finding what I liked was easy.

My home institution (TAMUCC) was very supportive and encouraging before and during my time abroad. They helped me find classes that would transfer over for academic credit and they also let me watch a training video that prepared me for situations that could happen while I was abroad.

Overall, I felt safe in my host city. I would recommend getting a purse that hangs across your body so that it is constantly attached to you. Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you keep your personal items close to you, always!

I enjoyed spending money whenever I could on fun activities but I was always aware of my budget. It was not impossible to manage my money, you just need to have a plan! Make sure you don't go over board. You have plenty of time to spend money on souvenirs, focus on enjoying your time abroad first!

My time spent with this program was truly incredible. This program was the perfect fit for me, as was this city! I am so thankful that I was able to meet such wonderful people and take interesting classes in the beautiful city of London.

This experience helped me learn that I am fully capable of being independent. I learned more about who I was as a person and how I handle different situations during my six weeks abroad. I am more confident in myself thanks to this experience.

I wish I would have known that six weeks goes by a lot quicker than you think. Make the most of every second in this incredible city!

One thing that stood out to me was the fact that my flat was about 35 minutes away from CAPA which added up. I am a morning person, so for me it wasn't a huge deal. My friends, however, struggled with getting up extra early in order to get to class on time.

I would also keep stressing the fact that the air conditioning in London is very limited. I read about that in the packet but didn't actually take it seriously until I realized how hot my flat really was.

But overall, I loved this program.
Montana Christy

Study Abroad in London

There is a perfect amount of coursework involved in this program. It is not too much where you feel like you cannot handle it, but it is enough to feel like you are actually getting something out of it. The professors are all really helpful and recognize that you are studying abroad, so they want to help make it the best experience possible! There are a number of classes which have field studies or out-of-the-classroom excursions where you can experience what you are learning about firsthand. This allows you to see so much of your host city that you wouldn't have even known about it. The staff and administration at CAPA are all very helpful and kind. At some points it was a little annoying how much they contacted the students. However, they stay on top of you for a good reason and are just looking out for you. They do all they can to make it a great experience for everyone who is there. The living arrangements were smaller than someone is probably used to, but that was expected. A few people in my complex had mice in their flats. However, that was not the case for my flat. The housekeeping each week helps a lot to keep the place clean! Great location, close to the tube as well. London is a very safe city. The crime that happens is more pity crime compared to the US. Therefore, it is perfectly fine to be out and about on your own, within good reason obviously. The most important thing to worry about is getting your phone stolen. People will grab it out of your hands on the street and the police can do little about it. The internship was a very beneficial experience and allowed me to grow and develop professionally. I also loved how diverse and global London is and am glad I was able to be in that type of environment.

I am overall satisfied greatly with this program. There is nothing that I can specifically think of that could be improved. I was very happy with my time here. The only think that may improve it is even more opportunities for students to engage with London. There were already a ton, but there is always room for more! Some students also may have had to miss some due to traveling, so having chances for activities within the city more frequently could potentially make it better. But this is just in the case that some people missed some. I was able to make it so many that I feel fulfilled with this aspect!
Denise

Best opportunity of my life!

It was the best opportunity of my life and I would do it over again in a heartbeat if I could. I learned more things about myself professional and personally within 6 weeks more than I have at my 2 years in college. I found a passion in the work that I did at my internship and I found such a love for cities and for traveling. CAPA was the perfect program for me. The length was just enough for me to get acclimated into London but also I was able to leave before I got too home sick. The costs were not too expensive and it offered me everything I wanted in a study abroad experience (to live in an apartment and be with other Americans, to have an internship, and to take classes).
I took one class over the course of 6 weeks and it was SO AMAZING. It was called "Analyzing Global London" and I can't imagine living in the city without having taken this class. I learned so much about different neighborhoods and explored and took field trips to parts of London I wouldn't have visited otherwise. I also learned so much about the history of the place and analyzed it more than the normal Londoner so I feel like I got to understand the environment a lot better.

Brianna

Best Experience of My Life!

Studying Abroad in London has been the greatest experience of my life. I got to do so many different things that I never thought I would've been able to do. London, England is almost like New York City except the people in London are nicer and they also drive on the opposite side of the road (something that took some time to get used to). The courses I took were taught by my home college professors and I took classes with students from my school. Classes were given at the CAPA center which is located in the borough of Kensington. I took two classes while in London and these were each held on one day a week, so one course was held on Monday from 9am -4pm and the other was held on Wednesday from 9am-4pm. Though I didn't mind having a four day weekend, it would've been better to have the classes two times a week so everything wasn't being crammed into one day. But trips were incorporated during class time so we never actually sat all day in the classroom. One of my favorite trips was to Westminster Abbey because it is amazing to know how many famous/royal/important figures in British history are buried inside and also that Prince William and Kate got married there. Something amazing was going to Stonehenge and Bath during a day trip planned by CAPA. Being at these locations didn't even feel real and my pictures look like I cropped myself into them. I lived in a dorm/ apartment owned by Notre Dame University and that is located almost directly across from Waterloo Station, one of the biggest in London. Taking the tube became a normal everyday occurrence since it was such easier to hop on a train and get where you needed to be in a few minutes. I studied abroad during the summer and the weather could not have been any more perfect. It only rained for one full day and a few times at night so don't believe the rumors that it's always rainy in London. One of the best things that I got to experience was going to Trooping the Colour, which is the Queens birthday celebration. At this parade I got to see the Queen and the entire royal family and it is something that i will remember forever. Something to always remember is that in London, pedestrians do NOT have the right away: people on bikes will not stop for you and will run into you if you are in their way and people on mopeds will drive on the sides of other cars to get to the front so they can take off first. But studying abroad is an experience that you will never forget. Though I experienced ups and downs during my time abroad I would not ever traded my time in London for anything.

Location:
Gatwick
( LGQ )
London Stansted
( STN )

London, although typically regarded for its architecture and city lifestyle, is made up of 40% public green space in the form of incredibly lush parks. London has created an environment where you can spend the day enjoying city life and then escape to Primrose hill, the Thames, or a walk by the canals.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CAPA: The Global Education Network

Studying abroad with CAPA means learning in the classroom, then supporting that structured academic foundation by going beyond and experiencing the diverse global city firsthand. You’ll do this through field studies and cultural events as well as on...