API Study Abroad in Paris, France

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, API has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Paris is well known as one of the most intellectual and intriguing cities in the world. The city maintains its status as the premier city in France and a leader in politics, art and fashion; every section of the city has its own unique charm and makes Paris a city like no other. For the history lover, the tour should begin in the heart of old Paris, the Ile de la Cité, which lies in the middle of the Seine River. Here one can explore the Cathédrale de Notre-Dame de Paris, the Palais de Justice and a hidden jewel, Sainte Chapelle. For the art lover, the city holds countless museums, all boasting incredible collections. Some of the most popular include the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, Musée Rodin and Centre Georges Pompidou. Tucked away in the city’s twenty arrondissements, or districts, are many more amazing sights and sounds waiting to be discovered.

API Scholarships
API Scholarships and Financial Aid Information

API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.

$250 - $1,000

Popular Programs

Musee D'Orsay

With its history dating back to the end of World World War I, the Cours de Civilisation Françaises de la Sorbonne (CCFS) focuses on French language instruction and introducing students to French culture and society since 1919. More than 8,000 students, from more than 130 nationalities, attend the university annually.

API offers French Language and Culture programs during the fall, spring, academic year, and summer at CCFS.

Parisian selfie

Founded in 1948, the Institut de Langue et de Cultures Françaises is a department within the Institut Catholique de Paris (ICP). Courses are available in French and in English. The ILCF welcomes more than 2,000 foreign students each year, representing more than 60 different nationalities.

API offers three programs at ICP: a semester French Language and Liberal Arts program, a summer French Language and Culture Immersion program, and a short-term Intensive French Language Studies program.

Statue Grand Palais

Students in the International Business program select a combination of international business courses taught in English, and may also brush up on their French language skills while abroad. Founded in 1974, PSB Paris School of Business (formerly ESG MS) is a European Grande Ecole management school that combines academic excellence, international awareness, and professional experiences. Students will be able to choose from a variety of international business courses conducted in English.

student at louvre

Students interested in studying at one of the top art and design schools in the world, while living in one of the world capitals of art and design, are ideally suited to the programs at Parsons Paris – The New School. Our Art and Design programs allow students to experience Paris from an insider’s perspective by exploring the history of European art and design firsthand in the many museums and design studios throughout Paris.

Tour Eiffel

API also offers students the opportunity to study at several institutions of the Université Paris. Advanced-level students of French may take courses with French students at either the Université Paris Diderot or the Université Paris Dauphine. The Université Paris Diderot is a multidisciplinary university with departments in Science, Arts and Letters and Social Sciences. The Université Paris Dauphine focuses on business, economics and mathematics, and offers some classes taught in English.

Anaëlle

The Extra Mile: A Full School Year in Paris

API Paris is wonderful, regardless of which school you choose to attend. However, if you are a language major or very familiar with the language prior to arrival, I highly recommend a direct enrollment program. It's like you're a real French student, a native, going to class with everyone else. Classes ranged from easy to difficult, but the API RDs were always there to help when you needed it, whether writing a French paper or extra studying. At Diderot, I was able to take fun courses like gymnastics and judo, and still take challenging courses like literature and translation.
Staying for a whole year was an amazing experience, and unlike some other programs, API allows you to revisit excursions that you may have gone on in your first semester. During my stay I attended a high-profile concert, lazed in parks, enjoyed many museums, and ate lots of great food. Some of my favorite memories are the simple things: my apartment with a monument view, visiting with the wonderful API Paris staff, and spending time with new friends.
I had fellow students from my university abroad in France the same time that I was overseas, and none of them were as well prepared for their stay as I was with API. API helps you in so many ways: airport pickup, housing arrangements, city integration, class registration and more. The other people I knew had to find out how to get to their cities from the airport, arrange their housing, and sign up for their classes.
It was so easy being abroad with API, and it's an experience I plan on doing again and again!

Melanie

Direct enrollment at Universite Paris Dauphine

My study abroad experience in Paris was wonderful. It allowed me to grow as an individual and to make decisions on my own. Direct enrollment is great because you are in classes with French students and you make a lot of progress learning the language in a short period of time. It also allows you to get a feel for the culture because you are able to make friends with French students and socialize with them outside of class. Joining the soccer team at my school was another great way I got involved. The API Paris staff was very friendly and approachable. I could come to them with any problem or simply for advice. Paris is a great city with lots to do and see. For people with a strong foundation in French, I definitely recommend the direct enrollment program!

There should be a way for API to pick up late arrivals from the airports. We were told that if our flight arrived late, we would have to either take a taxi or the metro to the API center because the van would not wait. This can be scary for people that have never been to Paris and are just arriving after a 9 hour flight.
Paris11

A semester in Paris

I had a great experience with API. The API staff in Paris were extremely helpful in helping the students get used to the Parisian lifestyle. They helped us sign up for classes. This was a direct enrollment program, so we were assisted throughout most of the enrollment process.
The classes ranged from easy to challenging. It's good to take a couple easier classes along with a couple harder ones. The most difficult part, in my opinion, was learning how to write a French paper. The program RD helped us understand how to write one, but without her help I wouldn't have known how different it was from a paper I would have written in the States.
It's great to just be able to live in Paris and experience going to boulangeries and fromageries. The food is delicious and it's definitely worth spending a little more money and going to a nice restaurant for dinner once in a while.
There are also so many museums to visit, and most of them are free or have a discounted entrance price since we have our student IDs.
I definitely got a lot out of living in Paris for a couple months. I learned my way around a new city, made new friends and had experiences I wouldn't have been able to have back home.