Iceland: Renewable Energy Innovation & Sustainability

As one of the greenest countries on our planet, Iceland produces effectively 100% of its electricity and more than 70% of its total energy consumption from renewable energy sources. By combining exclusive access into the cutting-edge renewable energy facilities and substantial contact time with leading academic and industrial experts in the field, Iceland is the premier location for a truly hands-on educational experience and a professional launch pad into the fields of renewable energy and sustainability.

In partnership with Reykjavik University's Iceland School of Energy graduate study program, this program will also explore how Iceland is becoming a leader in renewable energy innovation. Participants will learn about how the country is utilizing innovative geothermal energy and hydro power technologies and putting these to work in the circular economy, food production, carbon sequestration and capture, and renewable fuel production.

• Exclusive access and private tours to Iceland's leading hydroelectric, geothermal, and biofuel facilities
  • Icelandic adventure excursions (super jeeping, glacier walks, caving, glacier snorkeling, hot springs, Golden Circle tour, and more!)
  • Gain a comprehensive understanding along with a personal familiarity of the science and technology behind renewable energy systems: hydroelectric, geothermal, and biofuels.
  • Excel within a network of like-minded participants who aspire to work and innovate in the field of renewable energy and sustainability
  • Develop leadership, teamwork, and networking skills through adventure excursions and exposure to professional industry relationships.

Hi Sheenalei! Thank you so much for your question! Airfare, travel documentation, and travel medical insurance are not included in the program fee and must be covered by the participant. All in-country expenses are included in the program fee while on the program such as hotel accommodations, in-country transportation, three meals a day, educational materials and lectures, adventure excursions...

I did not need any kind of visa beforehand, I do believe I had to fill out a form before I landed though.

Owen

Iceland: Renewable Energy & Sustainability

First I would like to say that this trip was an incredible experience and the Green Program is a great way to travel and learn how to make our world a better and greener place. I went Iceland this summer with the green program and I wish I could go back. My favorite moments were we hike on a glacier, swam in a hot river, and went in hydro and geothermal energy energy plants. The trip taught me so much about renewable energy and sustainability and inspired continue on in that field. The trip also allowed me to become great friends with a lot people my age that had the same interests and really want to make a difference. It was a wonderful experience to be able to work with them. If you have the chance to go on a green program trip should should take it!

It goes by quick try as many new things as you can and walk around outside as much as you can it is a beautiful place all around.
Response from The GREEN Program

Hi Owen - thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You've been an amazing support for us, thank you for representing us on the UNCW Campus!! We would love to have you on another trip some day. Cheers to you!

Alice

The best abroad experience you could have!

The ten days that I spent in Iceland were completely incredible! I gained a wealth of knowledge surrounding renewable energy and how we can use renewable energy across the world to create a more sustainable environment. I met the most incredible people who challenged me to think globally. The program coordinators challenged us to have meaningful conversations which really helped to broaden my understanding and knowledge of the way that sustainable energy works. I also loved working on the syndicate programs. They are a group project where you create a sustainable alternative to an existing problem in our world. It was so much fun and I loved feeling that as an individual we can make a difference. I absolutely loved the way that this program integrated learning about sustainable energy resources and having fun stuff to do like hiking and swimming. I cannot recommend this program highly enough, and honestly I am desperate to go back!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate fermented shark, which tasted horrible!! As well as eating sheep cheek which was a very strange mix of jelly and meat (also do not recommend trying).
Response from The GREEN Program

Hi Alice! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your capstone project and felt that the guides helped structure a meaningful experience for you! Thank you for being a wonderful GREEN Ambassador. We hope you travel with us again soon!!

Jake

Best Study Abroad Program Ever!

My school offers many different study abroad programs. The problem is that the time they require me to take off was too much. When I was introduced to the GREEN program I was impressed with how much they did in such a small amount of time. It fit perfectly with my summer schedule so I could still take summer classes afterwards. Some may be nervous if the program rushes through everything because of how much is done in a small amount of time. I assure you this is not the case. The program wanted us to come home with a more profound understanding of renewable energy. The connections that are formed through this program is worth the price alone. If I were to start working on my own project the people I met on this trip would be my go to's for building a solid team. I could not have been more lucky to have come across this program.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Fermented shark (a.k.a Hákarl). Would not recommend.
Daniel

The GREEN Program Iceland: The best ten days of my life

My time on The Green Program was hands down the best ten days of my life. The program was expertly crafted with a perfect mix of academic, cultural, and adventurous experiences that maximized the potential of each and every day.

Waking up in an Icelandic farmhouse inn to have a homemade Icelandic breakfast, going to Reykjavik University for classes on sustainable energy, a tour of the largest geothermal plant in Iceland, lunch at a geothermal powered pizza brewery followed by a hike up to a hot spring creek, and finishing with working on the Capstone project back at the farmhouse.

The Capstone project is the heart of The Green Program experience. Teaming up with students from all around the world to come up with solutions to some of the grand engineering challenges yielded some incredible ideas from all of us.

The program is not just for engineers, it is for everyone with an interest in renewable energy and sustainability. There were many non-engineering students that were with my group. Green Program. Regardless of whatever your major is, you will have an enriching experience.

On top of all that, Iceland is gorgeous, and according to the 2018 peace index, the safest country and travel destination in the world.

From the Capstone to the classes to hiking in the highlands and climbing a glacier, every day you will be fulfilled with this incredible life changing experience. I encourage anyone to embark on an adventure with The Green Program!

The Green Program, Reykjavik University, and Midgard Adventure have figured it all out. There were no issues and nothing I would change.
Tyler

A Perspective-Altering First Trip Abroad

This program was an excellent balance of sustainability-focused education, exposure to culture, natural exploration, and fun activities. Despite how short the program is, TGP and the local guides have packed it to the brim with great experiences, both personal and professional.

The academic portion of the program consists of several lectures at Reykjavik University, as well as visits to geothermal and hydroelectric sites across the country, and culminates in an entrepreneurial capstone project. The project is relatively straightforward and the guides are willing to give advice and ideas.

Beyond academics, we had the opportunity to visit local pools and hot tubs, explore a few hostels and bars, as well as hike and camp in the highlands for several days. There are activities for everyone on this program!

Food is included in the program fee, and we had the opportunity to eat at restaurants and guest-houses as well as cook our own meals. Be forewarned -- any additional snacks, drinks, or souvineers you buy are on your wallet, and everything in Iceland is fairly spendy!

Keep an open mind and open eyes, everyone we met had some sort of advice to share! The entire trip can be a forum for self-development and social networking, if you let it.
Lukasz

A Fantastic Learning Experience Packaged Into the Adventure of a Lifetime

My time in Iceland will forever be a highlight in my life. I have traveled before, but never with such an amazing and unique group of people who are all so captivated by sustainability. When I arrived at the airport I was originally a little scared, but once the group got together it was difficult to break us apart at the end of the trip. Learning about energy in Iceland was inspiring and discussing how glaciers and volcanoes have shaped the landscape of the country was awesome. The valleys, rivers, waterfalls, glaciers and mountains you see throughout the journey are beyond words. The guides were super friendly and would always give you very interesting local information. I love that the program teaches sustainability through adventure and I would love to go on another one in the future!

I would update the packing list, especially for the camping trip, to ensure that all students are prepared.
Georgia

Best Educational Adventure Abroad Yet!

My Iceland experience was truly inspiring and eye opening. The combination of in-classroom and out-of-classroom education design was so effective and covered all types of learning. Not only did I get incredible perspectives from Renewable Energy Industry and Environmental experts, but I also got hands on power plant tours. I really enjoyed the incorporation of Iceland's history, it gave insight to why the renewable energy implementation there is so successful. We also got to hike along Iceland's staple landscapes including their geothermal got springs, beautiful mountains, and grand glaciers. Being in the natural environment put the climate problems and solutions into greater perspectives. We got to see the direct effects of global warming first hand during our hike on the melting glacier. We also got to experience the multiple benefits (directly and indirectly) of the geothermal hot springs. We even had the opportunity to propose our own solutions to the biggest challenges of today's world by collaborating with our student teammates. Not to mention I've now got lifelong friends and role models who share the same sustainable goals and passions as myself. You could say I had a "Power-full" adventure abroad.

Stay openminded! Trust your guides because they may nudge you out of your comfort zone, but you will learn so much about yourself and have the best time doing it! You will probably discover the dire truth about the condition of our planet and the increasing rate of harm we are causing, but most importantly you will be inspired to be part of the progress towards sustainability. Stay connected with the other TGP students and remember that you were all drawn towards this experience by similar passions and interests. These will be your fellow progress-makers and GREEN game-changers!
Gabriel

Explore Iceland at its GREENest

10/10 would recommend the GREEN Program! I participated in the Iceland program in May 2019. Through this program, will gain industry access to the best biofuel, hydroelectric and geothermal facilities that Iceland has to offer. As an energy engineering student, exploring these different areas of energy allowed me to become more open-minded with regards to where I want to take my professional career. Fun fact: Once you've completed the Iceland program, you are automatically qualified for a $5000 scholarship towards any Iceland School of Energy graduate program! Outside of their awesome academic program, you will explore the most jawdropping and awe-inspiring landscapes in the world! The GREEN Program is definitely an experience that you will not forget!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
When we went on our glacier hike, I wasn't expecting two things, Witnessing the impact od climate change and ice climbing.