Study Renewable Energy & Sustainability in Iceland

As the greenest country on our planet, Iceland produces 100% of its electricity from renewable energy sources. Complemented with exclusive access into the nation’s leading renewable energy facilities, Iceland is the premiere location for a truly hands-on educational experience and professional launch pad into the fields of renewable energy & sustainability. In addition to the country’s sustainability foundation, Iceland is a top destination for awe-inspiring adventure travel and eco-tourism. Home to jaw-dropping natural landscapes & pristine topography as well as authentic Nordic culture & welcoming atmosphere, Iceland is the destination for experiential sustainability education, bucket list adventuring, and unique cultural immersion.

Joe

Niceland

Green was one of the coolest experiences of my life. You get to learn and experience so much in a short time and make friends that will last a lifetime. From hiking in the highlands to family style dinner the program seems to never slow down. If you want to jump outside your comfort zone this is the perfect place to do it. And do I need to mention it again? It’s in Iceland! Your family and friends will be jealous for sure!

Emily

Trip of a lifetime

This trip was my first time leaving the country and I went into it being the most nervous about being on the flight for 6 hours. Once you land at KEF everyone is there waiting, getting breakfast, and getting to know each other. We had a lot of long but beautiful hikes that made me really appreciate the beauty of the country and get to know everyone. A few things didn't go as planned, but regardless the guides came up with a backup plan and it worked out wonderfully. The housing accommodations were very nice, I felt safe in every location we stayed in (which is especially important being female) and the food out guesthouse and hostel served was amazing. In the end I made so many amazing friends and got to know so many new people that I still keep in touch with a month later. If you're looking for a good group of people to travel with, memories that will last a lifetime, and a beautiful country to explore, this is it! (Just make sure you pack some extra snacks for the long hikes).

Amanda

The Green Team

Anyone who comes back from this amazing program will give you a laundry list filled with memories of amazing sites, friendships and knowledge. The staff on site and coordination within the GREEN program are fantastic. The learning environment doesn’t stop at the classroom and the passion the locals have for renewables is inspiring. Before this program I didn’t know what I wanted my career to be and had never traveled to another country alone before. Now I’ve been to 12 different countries and my career is something I can truly say I’m happy with and excited to see where it takes me. The experiences I’ve had with this group of people, staff and student alike, will be something I’ll never forget.

Have an option for more adventurous people to stay longer and do a backpacking trip in the highlands or another part f the country we don’t get to see on Program. Really allows the connection with nature to seep in. Also have an extended program (summer) where the student can’t continue a project with the Midgard or Reykjavik University for research ir something along those lines.
Shannon

Great Program

The GREEN Program in Iceland was awesome. So many action packed days filled with adventure, sustainable energy, and great people. I loved every second of it and would love to do another one! My time in Iceland included a glacier walk, local pool time, traditional food, fun game nights, and snorkeling in a glacial river. There were so many fun things on this trip, it's hard to name them all. They have programs in Hawaii, Japan, Peru, and elsewhere, all of which I'd like to go to!

No improvements necessary!
Olivia

GREEN: Summer in Iceland

Having only been out of the country once before (to Canada, within 2 hours from the border) I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from Iceland. What I found though was the experience of a lifetime! Never have I seen such amazing sights, learned so much in 10 days, or met such incredible people. The highlights of the trip for me include hiking to a hot spring, touring several hydroelectric power plants, meeting people who share my interest in and obsession with sustainability, and embracing a culture vastly different from my own. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who is ready for an adventure. Be warned that the weather is cold (yes even in summer) and very rainy. The hikes were sometimes long and with 19 hours of sunlight, so were the days. But, if you’re ready to experience something new and put yourself outside of your comfort zone while seeing the most beautiful scenes in the world, then this is the trip for you!

More specifications on the type of rain pants and other kinds of clothes would’ve been helpful but I was fairly unprepared and still stayed warm for the most part!
Emma

Renewable Energy & Sustainability

The Green Program is an experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone wanting to learn and grow while travelling in a completely new way. It combines aspects of the industry being studied while also getting to experience the culture and diversity of the country not normally available when travelled in a regular manner. Iceland is the most beautiful place and The Green Program made is that much more amazing. It sparked more interest in the field of sustainability as a further career pursuit and helped me find my passion.

I would have liked to see more funding options, scholarships or even conversion rate coverage for students applying from Canada.
Caroline

Study Renewable Energy & Sustainability in Iceland

My experience on the GREEN program was amazing and one I will never forget. I met so many wonderful people and got to learn a lot about sustainability while also experiencing the Icelandic culture and doing adventurous things that I could only imagine. I think it was the perfect blend of educational and fun.

Ultimately my experience led me to continuing toward my goal of a sustainable career by coming back to Iceland and completing my masters here. Had I not gone on the GREEN program, I would not be where I am today.

I highly recommend the program to anyone interested in sustainability.

I think the program can be improved by having a larger outreach and by minimizing the costs. The staff at GREEN headquarters are doing a great job of trying to tackle these issues by having their alumni as ambassadors on their campuses to reach out to a larger audience. I also think that the recent launch of the scholarships will allow more students to be able to go on these incredible adventures and learn a lot. I think continuing to tackle the barriers of cost and outreach will help to improve the program!
Tymber

TGP Iceland

This trip definitely provided me with some of the best days of my life, it was truly a life-changing experience. Firstly, because Iceland is such a breath-taking and incredible country. The support for sustainability and renewable energy in the country is noticeable and is something I hope to find everywhere in the near future. Secondly, because the adventures we went on were not only fun but at times, they could be challenging and pushed you to keep going even when you weren't sure if you could! Additionally, the classroom was engaging, and the material that was learned was completely relevant to the trip and was useful information that can be applied to future endeavors. I loved TGP and hope that I can go on another adventure with them sometime in the near future!

Surprisingly, there was some downtime throughout the program, and oftentimes, this downtime was useful, but sometimes I feel that it could have been used to explore more. This is the only thing I can think of that would improve the program, though, it was an incredible experience!
Joseph

An Amazing Experience in Iceland

The GREEN Program is the perfect mix of exploration and adventure/education and promotion of renewable energy. On the program we hiked mountains and glaciers, drove through the rocky countryside in superjeeps, and learned about geothermal, hydroelectric, and biofuel energy sources. The trip guides were some of the nicest and most down to Earth people I have ever met! They took us to some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Words and pictures cannot do Iceland justice, it is something you must see and do for yourself. The food we were served and the places we stayed were excellent! Some of my favorite memories were hiking to a hot spring on top of a mountain and watching the Northern Lights while relaxing in a hot tub outside in the freezing cold. The GREEN Program was an amazing adventure and an excellent first trip abroad for me. I am more passionate about working in the renewable energy field after taking this trip and I recommend it to anyone.

I wish we had spent a little more time in Reykjavik, but what we did spend was fun! Keep it up GREEN!
Joe

A Profoundly Moving Human Experience

My time spent in Iceland with The GREEN Program remains the best 10 days of international travel, industry experience, expert lectures, and bucket-list exploring I've ever experienced. Having been all over the world, Iceland holds a unique location for learning about renewable energy from the source (Mother Nature). The Program provides the framework to get you out of your comfort zone (mentally and physically), join a group of forward-thinking young leaders, and present viable solution to today's pressing environmental and social issues set forth by the UN's SDGs. With this unique twist on learning, you build unity through team work, breadth through the choice to pick your research topic, and skills through public speaking and leadership. This program is the reason I am in the career I am today as a Sustainability Specialist. It gave me the strength to endure through hardships, the perseverance to never quit, and the fortitude to last in a demanding, changing field. And all of this in 8 days! The GREEN Program is more than academics and amazing bucket-list adventures. It is a program designed to "wake you up", get you into the mindset of a being a "global citizen", and leaves you with a profound sense of worth, accomplishment, and impact.

This program can be improved by being accessible to more students. To learn more about TGP's Scholarship Fund, check out The Sustainability Nexus in Philadelphia.
Catherine

Incredible Renewable Energy Experience

The Green Program runs incredible study abroad experiences in Iceland! Not only do you get to hear from top researchers, professionals, and tour geothermal & hydro plants, TGP puts together an inspirational and transformative experience for students who are interested in sustainability and renewable energy. Before this trip I knew I wanted to do something in one of these fields, and after only 8 days I felt ready to take on my journey to a career in energy and sustainability. The mix of academic content, real-world experience (tours, etc) and adventure was awesome! Favorite memory was definitely staying in cabins in the mountains of iceland and spending the night in hot tubs under the stars :)

Alyssa

Best decision ever!

I loved the GREEN Program! It was an incredible experience and I highly recommend it. There was a great balance between work related activities and fun activities. I really enjoyed the classes at the Iceland School of Energy and going on exclusive tours of geothermal and hydroelectric power plants. The size of the group was great and we all became close by the end of the trip. Our Icelandic guides were amazing too! Everyone was so friendly and open minded - it was truly a welcoming crowd. Every day was filled with adventure! I loved going on hikes, swimming in hot springs, and seeing waterfalls and glaciers. I wish I could go again!

Casey

Experiential Learning and Adventure!

The GREEN Program was an amazing, unique opportunity to see a truly awesome country like Iceland through the lens of sustainability and renewable energy. I felt that the program was the perfect combination of travel/adventure and learning, so our trip had both purpose and exciting new experiences. I got to visit geothermal and hydropower plants, take classes at the University of Reykjavik on how that power was generated, and see how Iceland has made a wholesale transition to clean energy. We also got to complete a capstone project of our choosing in order to try and apply the principles of sustainability and renewable energy to a real-world example of a possible project or proposal.
Aside from everything I learned about renewable energy and how it can be successfully implemented into our society, I had an absolutely amazing time with the GREEN employees, our Icelandic guides, and the other students on the trip. We were truly immersed into the culture of Iceland and didn't just go for the touristy experiences; we did once-in-a-lifetime things like camping in the Icelandic highlands, hiking on a glacier, and swimming in between two tectonic plates. I got the chance to do things I otherwise never would have been able to do, and I had an absolute blast doing them.
Lastly, the support I've gotten after the program has been integral in my post-graduation job search. The alumni Facebook group allows you to network with people from all over the country and even globally, and GREEN employees post super relevant job listings. They also help get you connected to sustainably-focused organizations and companies. Overall, I would highly recommend participation in this program!

Just keep doing what you're doing, GREEN!

About The GREEN Program

The GREEN Program (TGP) serves to bridge the gap between traditional textbook learning and career development for positive change through our short-term, accredited, experiential education programs abroad. With the launch of the SDGs, we are fusing...