Seeking a study abroad destination that is intense, exhilarating, and complex? The UW in India program, based in Varanasi, takes you into weavers’ workshops and musicians’ homes. The directed field study provides the chance to develop a research proposal, carry out an in-depth investigation into a topic of your choice, and complete a 20-page final paper. The tutorial is a way to learn a new skill, like sitar-playing or Mehendi, or to give back to the community through an internship at a local organization. Language options include Hindi of all levels, and Urdu for advanced learners. You'll live in a guesthouse, with a local roommate, or with a host family. The program includes an orientation in Delhi and a four-day Traveling Seminar. No prior language instruction is required. CET partners with University of Wisconsin-Madison to operate this program. Students from all schools are welcome to apply.
- Conduct research and produce a paper—perfect for a grad school application or résumé
- Extensive, long-standing network in Varanasi
- Traveling Seminar that explores other parts of India
- Courses taught in English + Hindi language classes
- Hands-on learning with tutorials (e.g. Mehendi, Sitar, Kathak dance, etc.)