IFSA: Study Abroad Programs in Ireland

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Galway's Latin Quarter
Vatican, Vatican City
Vatican, Vatican City
Cliffs of Moher, Ireland
Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

Come study abroad in the Republic of Ireland with IFSA! Six different university programs are available in a wide range of locations including: Cork, County Clare, Dublin, Galway, and Limerick. Though each city may boast different specialties and attractions, Ireland as a whole is well known for being a well-educated and friendly nation dedicated to political, social and economic progress. All programs are open to American and Canadian students. Check out the different options below, and be sure to leave a review of your Irish experience when you return to help future students!

Programs offered:

University College Cork
National University of Ireland, Galway

IFSA Scholarships
IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Dear Elizabeth, Study abroad programs in music can be very valuable. You get to learn from some of the world's most prestigious and gifted musicians - and alongside student musicians from another culture. We have seen students from a wide variety of the arts report that this cross-cultural experience widened their appreciation and understanding of their practice. We also have students who are...

Ali

IFSA at Trinity College Dublin!

IFSA provided the support I needed in transitioning abroad. It was my first time out of the US, and IFSA was able to help me establish routine, comfort, and independence. I had so much fun abroad, and this was largely due to IFSA's excursions, recommendations, and safety measurements that helped me feel brave enough to adventure in small groups or even on my own. if I could go back abroad with IFSA I would in a heartbeat.
If you're looking for an incredible opportunity to make abroad your own unique experience, IFSA is the program for you. They will offer any level of support and their staff are kind, encouraging, and a whole lot of fun!

I took time to explore 5 countries in addition to Ireland. This was a perfect number for me. If you study abroad with this program, do not forget to explore Ireland too! Visiting new countries was amazing, and if you have the means and desire, do that! But keep in mind, my bests experiences were within this beautiful country--see the countryside, the seashore, visit castles and the Aran Islands! There is so much to see in Ireland, that I was even able to see it all. Try to see as much of Ireland as you can, it is unbelievable.
Colleen

IFSA Butler: University College Dublin

I had an amazing experience studying abroad at the University College Dublin in Ireland. Everyone I had the pleasure of meeting was so friendly and helpful, especially my advisers both at UCD and through my IFSA program. I always felt like I had somewhere to go for help if I ever needed anything, which was extremely comforting while adjusting to life on my own in a place so far away from home. The activities and events that were planned by the IFSA program were also a lot of fun, and they made it so easy to explore new parts of the country that I may not have considered going to otherwise. The campus community at UCD was also excellent, and I was even able to join the swim team and a number of different clubs while I was there. The academics were great, as well, and there were many different options for classes in just about any subject area. I even had the opportunity to work directly with a professor of ecology and one of her graduate students to design my own independent research project that included both scientific field and lab work. Overall, I truly felt like I was immersed in the Irish culture while I was there, which was one of my main goals for my study abroad experience. Between travelling across the country, exploring other places in Europe, or just simply hanging out with the friends I made through the swim team, clubs, and classes, my time abroad allowed me to grow and learn in so many valuable ways. I am extremely grateful for the incredible opportunity I had to study abroad in Dublin, and I would recommend both the IFSA program and the University College Dublin to anyone considering studying abroad in Ireland!

Kiely

Overlooked Study Abroad Location

University College Cork was an exciting place to be for those who study abroad for the social scene or to interact with people from a different culture. The housing situation widely varies; however, don't count out your housing situation at first glance, it may end up working out better than you expect! For example, I was housed in an older townhouse with seven other study abroad students, which I found overwhelming and challenging at first, yet this ended up being the perfect opportunity to learn how to be more outgoing.

Falon

University College Dublin-IFSA Butler

Going abroad is something that will forever be apart of who I am, not only from the experience but the memories and friendships will be cherished throughout my life. I ventured to Europe for the first time by myself to study abroad and I could not have asked for a better experience. I attended Indiana University, where many students go abroad, but decided to take on the journey alone in a foreign country (which I highly recommend!). As a social work major there were not many options to programs so I conducted a lot of research on my own, as study abroad had always been a dream of mine. IFSA-Butler provided so many resources throughout my entire stay in Ireland with access to information about traveling, safety, shopping, restaurants, academics, and social life activities. The orientation that was provided at the beginning of the semester allowed everyone to meet other individuals and feel more comfortable with the support that was being provided. During our stay at UCD there were two weekend trips that were provided through IFSA-Butler to different parts of Ireland. These trips allowed me to see more of Ireland with experienced locals (our program directors) to understand the local culture and history of the country better. In regards to the education at UCD it was very similar to my courses at IU, with fairly large lectures, potentially smaller discussion meetings, midterm and final exams/papers, and instructional assistants in the courses for additional support if needed. The tricky part for me was the grading system as it is extremely different than what is used in the United States but once again, IFSA-Butler gave us access to this information prior to the program and answered questions that I had throughout. The housing accommodation was very similar to a dorm or apartment, each individual had their own room and we shared common spaces like the bathrooms and kitchen area. Since the native language is English I truly believe that helped me transition to living in Dublin and succeed in my courses as it eliminated the language barrier that some of my friends were experiencing.

Overall, I would highly recommend this program or any program through IFSA-Butler, as it was truly the experience of a lifetime! I made lifelong friends through the program that I still visit and talk with daily. I was able to feel comfortable traveling to new places and adjusting to life in a new country.

If I could change anything about the program it would be to coordinate an event that allowed IFSA-Butler students to interact with Irish students at the university to help establish friendships with local students. I wish I would have made more lasting friendships with some Irish students but overall highly recommend this program to anyone looking to study abroad in Ireland!
Samantha

Go Abroad!

Going abroad was the best decision I’ve ever made. IFSA advisors helped me throughout the entire process. From helping me find a syllabus for a class I was interested in to a year later helping me request another transcript. While there, advisors made frequent visits to the campus wanting to catch up or be there if we needed some help or advice! They were all simply amazing and I couldn’t have done it without them!

N/A. Simply excellent.
Cassidy

IFSA is great!

The IFSA staff is incredible; they really care about your experience and put in a lot of effort to make sure you get the most out of your time abroad. IFSA offers local cultural experiences and trips, an abundance of knowledge about the country you are living in, and so much support for any challenges you may face during your time abroad. I would recommend the program to everyone interested in going abroad.

Madeleine

Best 4 months of my life!

I studied abroad in Galway through IFSA-Butler. It was incredible; I've never been happier in my life than I was in Ireland. Everyone at IFSA is so helpful and kind and supportive. They walk you through every step of the application process, help you prepare to leave, meet you when you arrive, and help you get settled. There's always someone ready to answer any questions and troubleshoot issues. When I first arrived in Galway, we had several days of orientations where we moved in to our apartments, met the other students on the program, and IFSA staff literally walked around the whole city with us, took us on tours, and bought us meals so that we could get to know Galway and feel comfortable there. IFSA also organized two weekend excursions that are included in the program, to Kilkenny and to Belfast. They were both incredible, with a mix of planned activities and free time, so we didn't miss out on anything. The whole time I was living in Ireland, I personally knew the IFSA staff who were my contact points- they came to campus regularly to check in and chat with everyone, and would even just hang out with us in town if they had free time. If I ever needed anything, all I had to do was send a text, easy enough since IFSA provided us with Irish sim cards for our phones! IFSA is just a fantastic program, they took such good care of us and really went above and beyond to make this trip the highlight of my life.

Galway is also an amazing city. It's very safe, whether you're walking home at 3pm or 3am. I was NEVER harassed the entire time I was there. It's beautiful and historic and small enough that you can walk pretty much everywhere, but big enough to include several ruined castles and open fields full of horses. And if you're interested in learning the Irish language, Galway is a great place to be. It's near the Gaeltacht, and NUIG offers Irish language courses for international students that include a weekend homestay in Connemara, which was an incredible experience. I met some of my best friends at NUIG. I loved everything about my semester abroad, and that was made possible by IFSA. If you're serious about going abroad, CHOOSE IFSA and CHOOSE GALWAY!

Sam

Abroad in Dublin

Going abroad is now a huge part of who I am. It was an incredible experience in Dublin, Ireland as I got to see 31 cities across 11 countries. I was able to visit friends from my home university, as I had travelled to Dublin alone. It was incredibly easy to make friends in the program as they have an orientation upon arrival. This was great as I was feeling a little overwhelmed at the fact I had actually landed in Ireland and would be here for months away from friends and family. IFSA - Butler was great by providing information about travel, academics, housing, shopping, and more. If they had not hosted an orientation I would have been extremely lost. Also, they continued being a great resource while in Ireland, as well as before and after I had been in Ireland. Today, I could talk for hours about the things I saw and experienced. Also I gained confidence and became a stronger version of myself. My family was incredibly proud of what I had accomplished and so was I. Lastly, I was also battling my anxiety throughout my travels. This was something I was not going to let stop me from doing what I had planned to accomplish. That experience has given me more control over my anxiety today. As for people I had met, I talk to them everyday through texts, snapchat, and more. We have also visited each other multiple time after returning to the U.S. I made lifelong friends.

Add another program weekend, as I enjoyed those most.