IFSA-Butler: Study Abroad Programs in Ireland

IFSA-Butler: Study Abroad Programs in Ireland

Come study abroad in the Republic of Ireland with IFSA-Butler University! Seven different university programs are available in a wide range of locations including: Cork, County Clare, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, and Maynooth. Though each city may boast different specialties and attractions, Ireland as a whole is well known for being a well-educated and friendly nation dedicated to political, social and economic progress. All programs are open to American and Canadian students with a GPA of at least a 3.0. Check out the different options below, and be sure to leave a review of your Irish experience when you return to help future students!

Europe » Ireland » Limerick

Sam
University of New Hampshire
University College Dublin

Abroad in Dublin

Going abroad is now a huge part of who I am. It was an incredible experience in Dublin, Ireland as I got to see 31 cities across 11 countries. I was able to visit friends from my home university, as I had travelled to Dublin alone. It was incredibly easy to make friends in the program as they have an orientation upon arrival. This was great as I was feeling a little overwhelmed at the fact I had actually landed in Ireland and would be here for months away from friends and family. IFSA - Butler was great by providing information about travel, academics, housing, shopping, and more. If they had not hosted an orientation I would have been extremely lost. Also, they continued being a great resource while in Ireland, as well as before and after I had been in Ireland. Today, I could talk for hours about the things I saw and experienced. Also I gained confidence and became a stronger version of myself. My family was incredibly proud of what I had accomplished and so was I. Lastly, I was also battling my anxiety throughout my travels. This was something I was not going to let stop me from doing what I had planned to accomplish. That experience has given me more control over my anxiety today. As for people I had met, I talk to them everyday through texts, snapchat, and more. We have also visited each other multiple time after returning to the U.S. I made lifelong friends.

Add another program weekend, as I enjoyed those most.

Thomas
Hampden-Sydney College

A Dream Come True

I always wanted to study abroad and heard of horror stories from people about bad providers. However, this story was not true for IFSA-Butler Ireland. They took amazing care of me and made sure that I was having the greatest time of my life. They hosted amazing events and awesome trips to Northern Ireland and Western Ireland. There office was always open and always had a pot of tea ready for students. I would recommend non-stop IFSA-Bulter Ireland!!

If there were more trips that IFSA-Butler Ireland did.

Megan
Vanderbilt University

Wonderful Experience

I studied at University College Cork through IFSA Butler in the spring of my junior year of college. There simply aren't words to describe how wonderful the experience is, and that is coming from an English major! IFSA offered unparalleled support as we entered the country, teaching us useful slang phrases and giving us tips on how to best amalgamate ourselves into Irish university life. I made some of the best friends of my life studying abroad at UCC with IFSA Butler, and came away a different person. If that alone isn't enough of an endorsement, I decided to go abroad again, to UCC, in the spring of my senior year. It is a truly beautiful experience, something all university students should consider. I had the time of my life!

Sarah
Yorktown, NY
Brandeis University

Caring staff, extensive support and fun excursions

One of the things I loved the most about IFSA-Butler was the staff. The people working for IFSA in Ireland are some of the most caring and fun people I met while I was abroad. They did their absolute best to make sure not only that everyone's needs were met, but that they enjoy themselves, and it showed. They provided support before the semester even started with pre-departure emails with information on what to expect while traveling to Ireland and once you arrived in addition to help selecting housing. They were gracious about answering any question, in person or through email, no matter how seemingly trivial spanning any topic from academic-related to social to where to go in town for certain shopping needs. They would also host casual events at the office to just hang out and eat good food or watch TV. The IFSA staff also did a great job of balancing this support with independence. All of the support was there for you if you need it, but it wasn't forced upon you. They were always there if/when you needed them. I grew very close to the Dublin IFSA staff members, and I know I will visit them when I hopefully go back.
Above all, my best memories through IFSA were in the Culture and Community class they provide. This non-academic, optional class met once a week exposed me to so many aspects of Irish culture and current affairs I never would have known before. It was held in the cozy IFSA office, and we would all sit on couches and have tea and biscuits. The short assignments were thought-provoking, as well as the discussions we had. I met new people in the program through this class that I had a lot in common with.

IFSA included two pre-planned weekend excursions to other parts of Ireland. They were a lot of fun and it allowed me to grow closer people I already knew and meet new people in my program from other schools, too. Although they gave a lot of free time during one of the trips,
during the other excursion there was one day where they only provided one set of activities for the afternoon that they really encouraged us to do. I wish they had provided more alternatives to those activities or made them optional. They were very physically rigorous and I enjoyed them, but some of my group members did not as much.
I also wish there was more of an effort to place us with Irish roommates. I had all international students from various countries, and we learned a lot about each other and the various cultures. However, an Irish roommate would have provided another opportunity to meet a local outside of classes and clubs.
The rest of the program and it's excursions were great all-around.

Kelly
Storrs, Connecticut
University of Connecticut

University College Cork through IFSA-Butler

My experience at UCC and with IFSA-Butler was outstanding. Ireland, with its sights, nature, and--especially--people, is one of the greatest places in the world. I was never bored and although Ireland is such a small country, there was always something to do or see.

IFSA Butler's staff was incredibly accommodating. The education we received at the start of our time abroad was necessary and informational. They worked with us relentlessly throughout the semester to make sure that our needs were met and our experience was beyond what we could imagine. The planned weekend trips and site dinners were absolutely worth it; always organized, informational, and fun.

I cannot recommend IFSA Butler and its Ireland program enough. I was able to step out of my comfort zone while feeling supported by their staff, and I truly feel like I am part of an IFSA Butler Ireland family.

Brian
Lancaster PA

Fantastic Opportunity

I studied in Dublin in 2014 at Trinity College Dublin. The people I met and the experiences I had were probably some of the best in my life. The culture and people are not only amazing and friendly but they have a lot more to share. Some may think that it will be tough to live in a different country for an extended period of time but the IFSA staff in Dublin was extraordinary. They all are so welcoming and I usually found myself hanging around their office when I had work to do or was just bored. Four months may seem like a long time in a foreign country but there is so much to do and see I couldn't even do it all. I will surely be back, hopefully soon!

I totally recommend Ireland to anyone thinking about abroad studies or just Ireland in general. One thing that would have changed my experience if I had not participated in it was the cultural learning course that was an optional class through IFSA. Meeting for an hour every week I learned so much more about the country and its people while at the same time bonding with the kids in my program. If you are studying abroad anywhere and your program offers a course like this I highly recommend taking it.

Shannon
Burlington, VT
University of Vermont

Experience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad in Dublin with IFSA Butler was one of the best experiences of my life. I was able to explore a new country, learn more about it's culture, customs, and people, and make friendships with people from all over the world. Ireland is truly one of the best countries I've been too with a great culture, beautiful landscape, and the some of the friendliest people I've ever met.
Aside from the country itself, the IFSA staff was extremely welcoming and friendly. They did their best to get to know each and every one of us as well as make us feel at home in a new place. The IFSA program had many benefits that other programs don't, including a group flight for members of the program to take to Ireland together. They also offered an optional course on community and culture in which students were able to compare the Irish culture to their own as well as discuss what they've learned about the similarities and differences along the way. IFSA also offered several trips (included in the price of the program) to places like Northern Ireland and the Killary Adventure Center in Galway. These trips included transportation, planned meals and activities, as well as free time for students to explore on their own.
Overall I'm glad that I chose to study abroad with IFSA Butler. With everything included and the excellent staff, it was well worth it. Some of the best friends I made abroad were in this program, so if nothing else it helped me feel more at home by being able to connect with about 40 other students who were in the same boat as I was and from the same country. This network of people made my experience abroad more comforting and enjoyable.

Overall I think this program was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone going abroad. One of the things that the program offered was an optional course in community and culture. I chose to take this course and for me it really helped me learn more about the history and culture of Ireland and compare it to American culture. I learned many things about my own culture from this course and how other countries (mainly Ireland) view us and our customs. The course was also a great place to meet with other student in the program, talk about personal stories, problems, seek advice, and really just interact and a safe and friendly environment that felt like home. This was comforting to me, however most students didn't choose to take this course or dropped out halfway through. I think that if I were to improve anything about the IFSA Butler program it would be either to make this program mandatory or to at least include a few mandatory meeting nights throughout the semester just to check in with everyone. I think this would help students with any problems they may be facing, answer questions, and network with other students in the program.

Another suggestion I have is making it mandatory that students be paired with Irish roommates. While I interacted with many Irish people in my time abroad, I would have liked to make deeper and more long lasting friendships. If not living with them it would at least be helpful to have some sort of mentor program or more guided process in making Irish friends.

Taylor
Chicago, IL
University of Cincinnati

Amazing experience that fundamentally added to my career development

I loved my time at the Burren College of Art. It is difficult to find design/art programs abroad, and the Burren College is one of the best kept secrets of the study abroad world.

It's located on the West Coast of Ireland (not far from the famous cliffs of moher) in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, The Burren. It's a small program, usually between 15-20 students (more in the spring and summer) but there is plenty of quiet and beauty to inspire and plenty of time to develop skills and projects.

As a graphic designer, I wanted to use the time to really develop new skills and interesting projects. The staff gives you the room to do what you want while pushing you to think bigger. I included some of the projects in my portfolio, and the experience overall changed my design process and was instrumental in getting me my first job post-grad.

The town itself is small and isolated, but if you are more introverted you won't have a problem with it. I loved everything about my experience. If you have any interest in art or developing any creative skills, this is a program to consider!

The IFSA butler staff were really helpful before and during my experience and it was nice to have additional resources beyond the college. I also got to participate in group trips to Belfast and Connemara, which was a nice break away from the isolation.

I think that the program could be bigger (only nine students my year). It's a fantastic place but I don't think they do a good job of marketing to other students. It's hard to find and learn about.

Danielle
Worcester, Massahusetts
Providence College

Great Program

I studied at the University of Limerick through IFSA-Butler and it was grand! UL is underrated in my opinion; great school, the academics are different but manageable, and the area is safe and close to the city (UL is technically in Castletroy). The IFSA-Butler staff in the U.S. and Ireland are extremely helpful and understanding. No question is unanswerable or too "dumb" to ask. IFSA-Butler also provides two weekend trips with the other IFSA abroad students in Ireland and exceptional support after you come home. Overall, a great and worthwhile program.

Sarah
Kentucky
University of Kentucky

A Positive Experience

The Butler faculty were very organized and easy to contact. The Butler contacts at NUI were absolutely wonderful, extremely friendly and always ready to suggest fun places to see during our stay in Ireland. The program was very small the year I went, so we formed a pretty tight group, but other than that there weren't any group activities organized by IFSA. However, Irish culture is very welcoming and it was easy to make friends and have fun on a night out!

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to earn academic credit through study abroad.

IFSA-Butler