Study Abroad at Institute of Technology Carlow, Ireland

Study Abroad at Institute of Technology Carlow, Ireland

IT Carlow offers prospective students a unique and fulfilling study experience. The college offers;

- A broad suite of courses that lead to internationally recognised qualifications
- A compact campus with a wide range of facilities including top class sporting facilities and a broad spectrum of student services
- A first class teaching and learning environment
- An opportunity to sample and experience Irish culture
- Experienced, committed and supportive academic and administrative staff
- Our study experience can help prepare students for an international workplace
- An internationally vibrant student community experience where lifelong friendships can be made
- An ideal location to explore the mystique of Ireland or the "emerald isle" as it is sometimes known
- A strong focus on Research and Innovation. The focus is primarily but not exclusively on applied, problem-oriented research and social and technological development and innovation.

Europe » Ireland
PhD.

Harrison
Carlow, Ireland

Feel At Home At I.T. Carlow

The Institute of Technology Carlow has worked very hard to ensure that I feel at home at the institution. Studying abroad is about stepping outside of your comfort zone to achieve results and success that come with pushing yourself. In particular, the international and sports offices give me a sense of comfort that balances that challenge of studying abroad with a genuine sense of being at home within a program.

The course I am pursuing is different for me in the assessment of knowledge throughout the semester but the faculty and staff always available to help and guide when need be. The coursework is challenging but interactive and dynamic in the approach to effectively teach students.

I experienced a very sudden and tragic event from back home during my first few days at I.T. Carlow. The embrace and comfort shown by the entire staff was everything I could have asked for. They put my needs first, concentrating on my well being and helped me get back on track when I was ready. This relieved a great deal of stress and reinforced my interest in studying at the Institute of Technology Carlow.

I would change the assessment of the knowledge for the students. I believe that some knowledge should be assessed through exams and not just assignment based practice. This puts a lot of focus on research instead of knowledge and content of the subject being taught.

Patrick
Philadelphia
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

My Time at Carlow IT

I had an unforgettable experience at IT Carlow. I was exposed to a small authentic irish town, got the opportunity to continue to play basketball for the college, perform music at local pubs through the music society, and most importantly enhance my business skills and knowledge through the master's program. The small town vibe in a unique experience that you would not get in Dublin or Galway where it is very common to have tourists. After a year abroad I feel that my perspective on life in general has been altered. I'm not saying that I have personally changed a great deal, but I can be more empathetic to another way of life and variance of values. It helps with all aspects of life when you have to interact or do business with different types of people. I truly have grown up and feel that I am better off going to IT Carlow for my masters and upon my return it has been a key differentiator for job opportunities versus other domestic graduates.

The town is very small and if you come from a big city in the states, the repetition and lack of choices can be frustrating. I personally came from Philadelphia so I was used to a big city feel. It was for sure an adjustment.

Also, administrative tasks in general in Ireland take twice as long so patience is a virtue. Being a yank from the northeast, I had expectations of extremely high efficiency and found myself annoyed at the relaxed atmosphere when I was trying to get things done.

Katie
Carlow, Ireland
Institute of Technology- Carlow

My time at IT Carlow

I'm currently in my third year of a program in IT Carlow, and I have enjoyed every minute of my experience here. While I never experienced college in America, I have had a wonderful time in my course, and at the college. Transitioning to college here was difficult as first, but the staff and fellow students in the college were more than willing to help in any way possible. All of the staff in the International office have been very helpful when it came to any issue or concern I have had in my 2 and a half years here. The smaller size of the college (compared to colleges in America), lead to smaller class sizes which really created a great learning environment, along with being able to really know your classmates and lecturers. The college offers so many activities for International students to be able to take advantage of the time here through traveling around Ireland and really experiencing the culture and lifestyle.

Caitlin
Chicago, IL
St. Ambrose University

Study Abroad Experience from a US Student

Hi my name is Caitlin Cronin. I am from Chicago, IL and studied abroad in Carlow Fall of 2014. This experience changed my life. It was absolutely incredible. I had an amazing time learning about the Irish culture and getting an education in a completely different country. It was tough to transition at first but the staff was very helpful. I learned so much about myself and life in general while studying abroad. I do not have a favorite part about studying abroad because the entire time I was there was my favorite and I wish everyday that I could go back. Hopefully in the next few years I can go back!!

The way our schedules were handled was a little frustrating just because we were used to a completely different system then yours. This was no one's fault it was just a bit confusing for us at first.

IT Carlow is located in the centre of Ireland’s South Leinster region and is approximately one hour from Dublin. IT Carlow is the fourth-largest Institute out of 14 Institutes of Technology (IoTs) in the country with a student population of 7,000 students. Irish students have