University College Dublin - Semester or Academic Year Study Abroad

University College Dublin - Semester or Academic Year Study Abroad

University College Dublin (UCD) is Ireland's largest and most diverse university. It is also Ireland's most global university, with international students comprising 20% of the student body. UCD offers a suite of exciting semester-long programs in Arts, Humanities & Social Science, Business, Engineering, Science, Agriculture & Food, Nursing, Law, Sport & Exercise and Architecture. UCD's beautiful self-contained campus is located just south of Dublin city centre. The campus encompasses world class sports & recreational facilities and a range of excellent on-campus housing options. Students are also invited to participate in a full program of social and cultural activities while studying abroad at UCD. The consistently positive feedback from Students who study abroad here speaks to their well-supported, academically and culturally enriching experience at UCD.

Europe » Ireland » Dublin
Theater, Drama and Dance
U.S. Studies
Women's Studies
Zoology and Wildlife Sciences
This estimate is based on a semester program fee, and includes housing costs. Scholarships are available for students who decide to study abroad at UCD for a full academic year.

Nathalie
USA
University of Hawaii- Manoa

Dream UCD

When I was little my dream was to move to Ireland. I wanted to be closer to family and friends and for years that dream never went away. When the time came to start applying for colleges I knew that UCD was the place for me. I had visited once before and fallen in love with campus, the staff, and the structure. A friend of mine in the USA had done a study abroad to UCD and fell in love with it. She had an amazing time and from listening to her stories I was sold! Unfortunately, I was not accepted right away. I attended a univeristy in Hawaii for a semester and reapplied to the University of College Dublin again the following year. My determination, passion and patience is what got me here to study my full degree in Animal science to further study in Veterinary Medicine. My experience has been entirely worth the wait. There is so much opportunity here for international students. The first week was definitely daunting but with so much support from UCD international and all the events planned it was extremely easy to make friends. These past 7 weeks have been so incredible. I have made life long friends, traveled around Ireland and ...oh yeah studied too. The staff here at UCD are so supportive. I would highly recommend doing a study abroad with UCD. My favourite memory so far would have to be freshers week. It takes place the second week of college and is an introduction to all the clubs and societies on campus. It is so festive and fun and there is always something for you to get involved in. If you are thinking about coming to Ireland I can not recommend it enough. You will feel right at home while having an amazing opportunity traveling around the world <3

I would say to get UCD connected with more universities to offer study abroad. When I attend the university of Hawaii at manoa I looked into doing a year abroad here in Ireland but unfortunately both universities were not linked therefore the UH would not accept the classes I would have taken here in Dublin.

Sabrina

Thoughts on UCD, 2 months in

As I'm thinking of what to write for this review, my mind is filled with ideas and thoughts -- I don't even know where to begin. I am about halfway through my program and it pains me to say that. Two months into studying abroad at University College Dublin in Dublin, Ireland, I have nothing but good things to say, not only about this university, but this country as a whole. My experience at UCD, thus far, has been such a refreshing, fun experience. Coming from California, everything here is so different -- in more ways than one. I can't fathom that I've only been here for two months, and that I only have two more to go. UCD has been so helpful to help me acclimate to my new environment, they made me feel so welcomed and supported. Hence why time has flown by! I feel at home here. I have been able to go on a few trips provided by UCD to explore Ireland and it has been such a joy to have that opportunity. The University really does accommodate to their international students and I think that speaks volumes to their character. UCD and Dublin as a whole has made their mark and has a special place in my heart. I can't wait to make the most of these last couple of months -- let alone, come back to Dublin!

Destiny

Irish House Party

The University College Dublin international program gave the opportunity to study abroad students to attend the Irish House Party. This night included free transportation, food, and a show. We began the event by hearing traditional music played by fellow UCD students and they taught us a lesson on the Irish language. After this we enjoyed a three-course meal followed by a show! The show included music, dancing, and a lot of laughter. This has been my favorite night in Dublin by far! You experience Ireland with your taste, sight, and hearing. It was truly the Irish experience. If you are ever in Ireland the Irish House Party is something you MUST attend! Go rabid maith agat. Thank you to the UCD International program for this awesome Irish experience!

Fiona
Nashville,TN
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Loving UCD

I am a junior studying nursing and biochemistry at UCD for the academic year and I absolutely love it!
Academically, the courses are comparable to those at my home university, and the quality of the lecuturers overall is top notch. I feel as though I am actually learning this year, not taking a year off as with some study abroad programs.
Initially, I was worried about coming to Ireland not knowing anyone, but my problem was quickly solved because of the housing, orientations, societies, and UCD International events. My roommates are all Irish and have been wonderful in helping me out and answering questions. UCD International has given me the opportunity to see so much of Ireland along with meeting loads of new people! They have trips all over Ireland almost weekly and the trips are so much fun. I traveled with them to see Powerscourt House and Glendalough just yesterday and it was incredible.
To anyone considering coming here to study- I would encourage you to do it! It is truly a unique university with a welcoming atmosphere and people willing to help with anything you need!

Connor
Texas, United States

Wish I Could Stay Longer

UCD and Ireland were perhaps the best experiences I have ever had. The university was beautiful, the teachers cared and wanted to help, tutorials were built into the schedules, the classes were put together with few bumps. The expectations were set forward and there was ample time and opportunities to ask for help from the staff as well as the students around you. Just be prepared for the cold, wind, and rain, which I personally was in love with. The lakes on campus provided an amazing place to sit and have coffee with friends between classes or to decompress afterwards. I only wish that I could have stayed for an entire academic year instead of just a semester. UCD is located in a perfect spot: not within the heart of Dublin, but not far from it. Going to UCD was perhaps the most revitalizing and invigorating experience that I needed and am thankful for all the people I met along the way.

Giovanna

UCD Business

UCD is a great place to study and work. Before coming I didn't really know what to expect but the classes are fun and the teachers are really engaging, you can tell they are knowledgeable and willing to help. The internship program that I was placed with was exciting to get hands on experience but a little disorganized in the beginning which really doesn't have any bearing with UCD, just something to take note of. Otherwise the campus is beautiful, the bus stop is centrally located making it easy to get around. The administrators I cannot thank enough for being so nice and helpful with any questions or concerns. I never thought I would get the opportunity to study abroad but I'm very thankful for the experience and friends I have made at UCD.

Perhaps having more excursions would be nice, there are a few places I never got the chance to go to that I wish the school had planned. Also I think the school should notify students more about what is and is not provided, such as: meals, toiletry, transportation, and such.

Carly
Boston, MA, USA
Indiana University- Bloomington

Good program with great people

Overall, my experience in Ireland was wonderful. I made some great friends through this program and had the internship of a lifetime. The minor drawbacks of this program are the distance from Dublin City Center and the difficult balance of work and school while still getting the most out of your time abroad.

Highlights: the friends I made in my program, Irish people, and great craic, traditional Irish music, day trip to Causey farm, Dicey's, exploring both Ireland and the rest of Europe

Setbacks: proximity to the city, trying to complete time-consuming class projects while working full time

This program could be improved by focusing on either the internship program or the academic program. Having to balance a surprisingly heavy workload and a challenging internship while also trying to get a fulfilling cultural experience is difficult and even exhausting. In addition, the program should work on including certain things within tuition. I would have rather paid a fee upfront to have a loaded UCard so I wouldn't get my card denied so many times getting food on campus, doing laundry, or simply trying to print. The system can take days to load money on your card and it is a hassle to say the least. It would also be great if some sort of student Leap Card was included in tuition. Since campus is pretty far from City Center, getting around can be tricky, not to mention really expensive (especially when you're working a full time job).

Mark

My Experience at UCD

For someone who had never been abroad before, University College Dublin helped me continuously along my study abroad program to ensure I had a quality experience. My one recommendation for future participants is to take advantage of the free trips offered by the college during the weekends. Places like the Cliffs of Moher and the Giant's Causeway were some of my favorite trips and I highly recommend going with friends. The overall experience in Dublin gave me a better perspective on the similarities and differences there are between my home country and Ireland that you just can't learn in a textbook. If you are on the fence about studying abroad, do it. You won't regret it.

Maybe provide some toiletries like towels and inform students better on how the water heater works.

Ke
Karamay

Architecture at UCD

I come from a small liberal arts college, and I knew that I wanted something different at a college with 30000+ students. The experience turned out to be very different in many senses. Back home I only go to the dining hall, but here I do groceries twice a week and learned how to shop economically. The lectures at my home institute are an average size of 15 people, whereas here the lectures are taught in huge classes (all of my classes are about 60 people but I know there are much bigger classes in other departments). The accommodation is nice--I share an apartment with three Americans. We have a common room/kitchen, 2 restrooms, and we each get to live in a single. To me, the college community here is loose, but from that arises a stronger sense of independence and anonymity, which can be a good thing or not depending on what you want.

I am taking one studio that counts as 3 modules, two other architectural modules, and one module from the archaeology department called Discovering Ireland: Landscape and Heritage. The studios here are BRILLIANT. There are 60+ kids in my class and we are divided into 5 groups, each having 2 tutors. The tutors here teach part-time and all work as architects. The studio is divided into several components: drawing & making, desk critic (led by your group tutors), and presentation and general critic. They really teach you how to look at things like an architect, and draw things precisely/consistently, and the critic here is very informative. I would give 10 stars solely to the studio, but 6 stars to the academic life here in general. I personally much prefer the small and intimate classes back home, The modules I took here tend to be disorganised, and you get graded solely on one or two major assignment throughout the module. This can be scary when what's expected from you is unclear. The course load is pretty manageable and I almost have every weekend free of work. The students here are expected to decide their own workload and study independently. I could have learned more if there is a list of must-dos in the modules, but then I would not have this much time to explore Ireland and its culture.

The L&H soc here does amazing debates and I highly recommend everyone to check it out at least once. Every week, debaters from and outside of UCD and offer their opinions across a variety of themes. The debate chamber is set up like the British parliament and the debate scene is huge. I don't have time to find out about other societies due to the isolated location of the architecture school and its busy schedule. I use UCD's sports facilities quite often. The gym can get crowded in the afternoon, but there are plenty of space in the morning and evening. They also offer physical assessment and can advise you on your fitness goals.

The centre for study abroad is a great resource for American students. They do trips in Ireland/Northern Ireland once a week or every two weeks and they are completely free! I couldn't speak enough about how I appreciate them since living in Dublin is pretty expensive. All you have to do is to sign up. There are also movie nights/Thanksgiving dinner/test prep pizza party and stuff.

The UCD campus is not particularly charming for having huge grey concrete buildings, but there is a lake in the heart of the campus and you get a nice vibe from the community when you walk around. It's set in the suburb, but getting in town is easy. There are multiple bus stations that take you right to the centre of Dublin within 30 minutes. Some people find the transportation expensive (a round trip to town by bus is 5 euro). I do like to go into town, and Dublin is such a compact city where everything is within walking distance.

Justine
Reno, Nevada
San Jose State University

Life changing year in Dublin

My year studying abroad at UCD completely made me who I am today. The memories made and skills gained there are invaluable. I took a lot of Irish culture courses that were not offered at my home university, and they are some of the most interesting course I took. I was learning about Irish culture and art history while living there, and that really enabled me to get immersed in the culture. I joined a music club on campus, traveled to every county in Ireland, and made a lot of international and local friends. Ireland will always be my home away from home.

After returning from Ireland I realized my passion was helping others study abroad, and I've been working as a study abroad advisor for the past 4 years.

Stacie
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania State University

Experience of a Lifetime

I decided to study at University College Dublin immediately after I visited the study abroad office at my home university. The Irish culture and courses available aligned perfectly with my vision of a study abroad experience. When I arrived at UCD, the staff was extremely helpful and kind so that I was comfortable with my new temporary home! I have never been on a plane or outside of the United States before going to UCD and all my worries were washed away instantly. I made friends that lived locally and also some from Hong Kong and Vietnam. I was exposed to different cultures and experimented with food and languages while traveling the beautiful countryside! While traveling near the end of the semester, I was severely injured and required an emergency trip home. I was concerned about finishing classes while recovering from the injury. The staff and professors at UCD were extremely understanding and allowed me to finish my classwork while regaining my health closer to family. This experience has taught me many things - including learning more about myself. I was able to grow as an individual and learn how to manage school and missing home in a new environment. Studying abroad was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I will forever be grateful for the experience of a lifetime that University College Dublin has given me!

University College Dublin (UCD) is Ireland's largest and most diverse university. It is also Ireland's most international university, with 20% of the student body consisting of students from 120 countries around the world. UCD is located 3 miles south of Dublin city centre in a