University College Dublin - Study Abroad

Temple Bar Area
UCD
UCD
Beautiful scenes in Glendalough!

University College Dublin (UCD) is Ireland's largest and most diverse university. It is also Ireland's most global university, with international students comprising 20% of the student body. UCD offers a suite of exciting semester-long programs in Arts & Humanities, Social Science, Business, Engineering, Science, Agriculture & Food, Nursing, Law, Sport & Exercise, Pre-Physical Therapy, and Architecture. UCD's beautiful self-contained campus is located just south of Dublin city centre. The campus encompasses world class sports & recreational facilities and a range of excellent on-campus housing options. Students are also invited to participate in a full program of social and cultural activities while studying abroad at UCD. The consistently positive feedback from Students who study abroad here speaks to their well-supported, academically and culturally enriching experience at UCD.

• No. 1 Irish University of choice for international students.
  • Ranked within top 1% of higher education institutions world-wide.
  • Ireland's most globally engaged university with over 30,000 students drawn from over 139 countries.

Hi I am so sorry I do not know the deadline but take what courses will transfer for your home university! Irish electives like Discovering Irish Landscape is fun and easy.

Naman

Spring Semester Abroad Quinn School Of Business, UCD

I had the best time of my life at the University College Dublin this semester. By far, it was the best semester of my entire college life. The campus is 20 minutes away from the hustle bustle of the city and is the perfect place to unwind yourself and focus towards your goals. UCD itself is very beautiful with a couple of lakes and greenery all around the campus. It is equipped with a modern sports complex which offers free fitness classes and has a great infrastructure.The residence halls fulfilled all my requirements and made my semester long stay very comfortable.
The most interesting part of my journey has been attending classes with such a diverse group of people from different countries. The Quinn School of Business is one of the most reputed business school and attracts students from all across the globe which made me meet a lot of diverse people. Before Quinn, I had never been in a room with so many nationalities. Classes in UCD are great place to listen to the different thought processes of people from all over the globe. One of the most important learning was while working in our group of four nationalities: American, Irish, Indian and French. I would highly recommend students to study abroad with University College Dublin and attend classes at the Quinn School of Business

When I look back at the time which I have spent in Dublin, I feel like a caterpillar. The way a caterpillar needs to stuff itself with leaves and grow longer through molts to shed it skin, similarly I have been through a tough but rewarding experience. The most important advice I would give to prospective students is to get out of your comfort zone and do things differently. I would recommend them to join student societies on campus such as the Erasmus Student Network or the International Student Society. Joining these organisations are a great place to meet different people and participate in group activities.During my semester, I realised opportunities would not knock on my door, but I would have to work hard and get out my room to make things work. At the beginning, I felt I had survived the feeding process of the caterpillar but as time progressed, I kept learning and growing by taking on challenges. I would suggest all of the incoming students to meet people away from their home country to explore different perspectives. Highly recommend participating in the free and fun events organised by UCD and the Quinn School.
Maddy

Great Experience!

I knew very little about Dublin when I decided to study abroad at UCD, but I had heard great things about the school and I thought it would be an interesting challenge to go to a place I knew so little about. Before I arrived, I was nervous about picking an unfamiliar place, but it couldn’t have worked out better. UCD and Dublin vastly exceeded my expectations, and now I can’t imagine having gone anywhere else. The campus is so beautiful and my classes were awesome, and I felt supported and welcomed into the community almost instantly. I got to take a wide range of interesting and unique classes, and although the teaching style is very different than what I was used to, I always felt like I had plenty of support and I definitely learned a lot from all my professors! My classes were engaging and challenging, but I also had plenty of time to explore Ireland and a few other countries!
I couldn’t believe how fun and fulfilling the semester was. I've learned so much in the past few months, inside that classroom and out. Throughout my time at UCD, I felt encouraged to focus on my classes, but also make time to have new experiences outside of the classroom. I also took a class called "Ireland Uncovered" which was a great introduction to the history and culture of Ireland, and it was a great way to learn about the country and make some new friends. I also took dance classes with the dance society, which was another great way to meet new people. I have made so many friends from all over the world, and have learned so much from all of them!
Dublin is a great city to study abroad in - there's so much to do and it's a very student friendly city. From pubs, to museums, to shows, to gorgeous scenery, there's something for everyone and so much to explore! I'm so glad that I got to come to UCD for a semester and I am already looking forward to coming back!

Yufeng

One of the best times in my student life

My time at UCD is definitely one of the most rewarding times of my life. Apart from the engineering courses, I also took German electives from ALC and Irish culture course. During the first semester, I work closely with associate professor P. F. Curran on my graduate project. I’m so happy to apply my knowledge of control theory into practice and have the privilege to learn the cutting edge control algorithm developed here in UCD to control the fuel tanks of ESA’s Ariana rockets. My invaluable experience here also helped me to receive an admission from Duke University’s graduate school. I’d say my experience at UCD absolutely adds to that.

My favorite music band is Westlife and that’s the reason why I choose to study in Ireland. After I arrived here, I’m so impressed by the history and culture of this emerald isle. The national museum of archeology is my favorite place to visit. I also love the breathtaking scenery at the cliffs of Moher. I’m also learning how to play the Irish tin whistle. Hopefully I can play a complete song before I leave here. In one word, a semester/ year at UCD is worth it without doubt.

Erin

Wonderful Semester in Ireland

My semester in Ireland as a chemical engineering student has been filled with new faces, new classes, and new experiences. As I look back at the semester, I remember all the times spent studying, laughing, and enjoying myself with friends. UCD does a great job of integrating academics with fun extracurricular activities for its students, like having Yoga and Pilates classes, but also having events like Mario Kart Tournaments. Not only does UCD provide fun activities, but the staff are also so helpful to the international students in helping them to choose the right classes, hosting events to bring international students together, and even sometimes having extra pots and pans for the apartments! UCD is located about a fifteen minute bus ride from the Dublin City Centre, which has a rich culture and history. It was so fun to explore the city, visit some pubs, watch some Gaelic Football Games at Croke Park, visit the Guiness storehouse, and see all the beautiful Christmas lights in the city. Not only did I enjoy myself at UCD and in Dublin, but I was also incredibly fortunate to be able to travel all around Ireland and Europe throughout the semester. I got to explore Spain, France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Hungary, Italy, Scotland, and not to mention traveling all over Ireland, seeing the Cliffs of Moher, Killarney National Park, the Aran Islands, and Giant's Causeway! My semester at UCD has been filled with so many memories that I will treasure for a lifetime!

Mike
No, I don't recommend this program

UCD Semester Abroad

I was very disappointed with my semester at UCD. Only come here if you're coming with friends and you're dying to see Ireland. I was looking for a different college experience abroad, and to be engrossed in the culture. However, just being on the campus felt like living in an isolated ghost town. I wish I had known this was a commuter school. The 'societies' are just small cliques of students, they don't do much outreach and seemed to have very few events. The International Society aimed at study abroad students had no trips after early October and tickets for their other trips were hard to come by. Though it would depend on program, in my opinion the professors were subpar and definitely don't cater to Americans. There's n assignments besides midterms and finals, so it's easy to lose focus. You'll be way behind the curve when you get back to the US, especially if you go to a rigorous school. I put some recommendations below to improve the program. Basically, they need to cater to all study abroad students-not just people who are using UCD as a base to travel the rest of Europe. The big thing going for UCD is that it's close to Dublin (though the campus is in the suburbs and feels like you could be anywhere). Dublin is a great city, and I enjoyed being in it, but that alone can't carry the school or the 4 month semester. If you don't have a group of friends and the money to travel Europe with, stay home or find a different program.

-Better integration of students into Ireland
-Take notes from American college orientations
-Improve school facilities. The hours for businesses are wrong online. Food essentially isn't available past 6 PM, and there isn't many options. The library doesn't have great hours either, and the professors were not engaged.
-Get native Irish students involved in process
Response from University College Dublin

We are very sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at UCD. We would like to respond to some of the points which you made that were negative.

UCD has over 3,000 rooms on campus with a vibrant social scene; with sports events and societal events going on throughout the week.

Clubs and societies have an entire week in which students can join. There are nearly 60 sports clubs and nearly 100 societies for all interests. These can be as large as 800 people (Soccer club) for sports clubs and over 1,500 for societies (Commerce and Economics Society) so they could not be called small.

Along with clubs and societies, the Centre for Study Abroad organises a number of free trips around Ireland throughout the year for study abroad students.

UCD is in the top 1% of universities in the world, with some of the leading academics in their field. The way modules are assessed is completely dependent on the module coordinator. There can be assignments throughout the year.

Study Abroad students at UCD receive a full orientation programme that has integrated thousands of students over the years to life in Dublin.

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your time in Ireland, but we feel like our university and the experience that you can have here is better than your review states

Isabelle

Excellent Experience in the Quinn School of Business at UCD

I would highly recommend the study abroad programme at UCD, in particular, that within the Quinn School of Business, which is what I completed. Going to UCD is a great way to be immersed in the lively city of Dublin while also enjoying the benefits of a campus, such as study spaces, the gym, and student centers and a great way to meet friends. I would highly recommend living on campus rather than trying to find outside accommodation, as this will help you to meet people and to adjust to Ireland. UCD is very welcoming and organizes many on-campus activities, as well as hosting a long list of clubs and other ways to connect with other students. The education is good and all UCD staff are extremely helpful. My favorite memories have been joining the film society, hanging with friends at the on-campus bar, the Clubhouse, and exploring Ireland as well as the rest of Europe with the great friends I've made.

This program can be improved by increasing social events for study abroad students within their respective majors/programs.
Peyton

UCD- Study Abroad

Overall, UCD has been an amazing experience. They welcomed me with open arms and helped me all along the process of everything. UCD has been accommodating and really welcoming. With the international rate of the students being 25%, it has really helped with the transition of going to a different university. The Quinn Business School has been amazing. The professors are all so nice and willing to help you with anything. My advice would be to just go for it. It might be the only chance you get to do something spontaneous before having a real job. It is also a once in a lifetime opportunity to live in a different country, while also being able to travel and really get to find yourself as a person. One of my favorite memories was a weekend trip with the International Student Society. We went to County Cork and I got to meet so many different people from all around the world, while learning more about Ireland. It was the best weekend trip I have taken thus far.

Annalise

Great Academics with Easily Ability to Travel!

As a junior, I was limited to only four classes that I could take abroad, and UCD was the ONLY school that my home university let me transfer all four classes from. In all honesty, that was the reason I chose to study at UCD, as culturally it's not a great fit for me. I love the convenience and liveliness of a big city, and Dublin feels quite small and UCD is far from city center. Despite this, I spent most of my weekends traveling (I was able to have a 5 day weekend with my schedule), which was amazing. I think I've visited 9 different countries in the 12 weeks I've been here. The school also provides ample opportunities to travel around Ireland for free, going to Galway, Belfast, and other attractions.

In terms of academics, for such a large school, I have felt very supported by advisors and administration. It took a little while to get used to the class sizes, which can be five times bigger than classes at my home university, but they're pretty easy to adjust to. And it can be easy to skip lectures, but most of my lecturers were fairly interesting and engaging!

Finally, I think my favorite memory, and proudest accomplishment, since coming over here was driving on the left side of the road along the western coast. As an American, I was so nervous about driving, but it was pretty easy. We did see a double rainbow over the Cliffs of Moher, so maybe that gave me some luck while driving!

I wish there were more social programs early in orientation week for students who are coming here not knowing anyone. The hardest thing about making friends here was that it seemed like everyone already knew each other. Many other study abroad students came here with their friends, and the Irish students are locals who went to school with many of their same peers. Also the INIS appointment registration was awful for so many international students. As such a large organization with a huge international student population, I found it odd that UCD didn't have a better (or any) program in place with the immigration services. I have other friends studying in mainland Europe, and their schools provided a program (or at least some support) with immigration services to expedite the process. Wish there was more structure and help around the immigration process for UCD students.
Josh

Semester in Dublin

I cannot recommend highly enough a semester abroad at University College Dublin. It was hands down the best time of my life. Ryanair offers unbelievably reasonable flights all around Europe and I was able to travel to England, France, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, and Italy all for very reasonable costs. These international trips were a blast and I got to see so many incredible people and places that are difficult to get to from the US all in a weekend trip (which was quick but I really got to do a lot)! However, that much is available from any study abroad program pretty much. What made UCD an especially amazing experience was the beautiful campus, the people I met and the trips that I was able to go on thanks to UCD Reslife. I would highly recommend living on campus to anyone traveling to UCD - accommodations were comfortable and extremely safe. My abroad experience started off with a full week before classes started going to Reslife events. I met the hilarious RAs who told us all about the aspects of living in Ireland that you don't get from a tourist website or book. I met tons of international students while doing stuff like learning some Irish dance, trying out Irish food and drink, and they even planned really useful practical events like trips to Ikea. Through the semester I loved the nights spent busing into the city to go out and enjoy the clubs in Dublin, many of which had great live music and such fun crowds.

Despite getting the unforgettable chance to see so many countries I'd never seen before, my favorite part of being abroad were the trips I got to take around Ireland. One weekend, the International Student Society hosted a three day trip to Galway, the Cliffs of Moher, and Connemara National Park (for less than 150 euro - housing, transportation, admission everywhere included - it was an incredible deal). I spent the weekend with a group of students from Italy, France, Germany, and the US and had an absolute blast seeing some of the most beautiful places I've ever been with fun people. Another weekend I got to go on a windsurfing trip with the windsurfing club out to Castlegregory, near Dingle. That one had more Irish students (but still a good dozen international students or so out of like 30). I had never windsurfed before. The first day the conditions were too rough so all the beginners took a road trip over to Dingle. It was stunning, and so cool to get to drive around those narrow Irish roads among the hills and cliffs and greenery. Then the next day I got to go windsurfing for the first time, which was so fun. The Irish students I met were some of the nicest and funniest people I've ever known, and they made the trip an absolute blast.

If you are thinking about going abroad, do not let yourself convince yourself that it's not the right move. For me, it was the best experience I've ever had. Every single weekend I would look around me and say to my friends "I can't believe this is our life right now" and when I look back at pictures I still can't. I came back to campus with a much greater appreciation for my own happiness. When I get stressed, I catch myself and ask myself if I'm happy doing what I'm doing and if not what I need to change, because I was able to see how insanely happy I can be. No, I can't just be a student traveling every weekend forever - but I can look for a path that brings me the same kind of joy and fulfillment. I also have so much more confidence in myself. At home, I would regularly defer to someone with more experience and avoid confusing situations like navigating the unreliable bus system. Well after a semester of managing to find my way around Paris and Rome where I do not speak the language, that's no longer the case. Whenever I'm uncertain I remember that I took a trip to Spain completely on my own and had a blast. If I can do that, I can figure out how to navigate most of the challenges I face at home. But that's not something you can learn by being told, you have to feel the uncertainty first hand and feel the relief and pride that comes when you make it out alive and better than ever. Obviously, not everyone has quite so incredible experience - I was very lucky. However, even the friends I know who didn't have the time of their life consistently say that they are glad they gave it a shot, and they too come back with a greater sense of perspective and a greater confidence in themselves. UCD was amazing and if I was choosing again I would make the same decision without a moment's hesitation, but even if it's not specifically UCD that appeals I can't recommend highly enough going abroad somewhere and getting to see another part of the world.

Freddie

Home away from home

Going away to my semester abroad in UCD, I experienced something I hadn't since my Freshman year of college: the anxiety of going somewhere new, by myself, leaving everything and everyone I knew behind. Luckily, this only lasted until literally just after landing in Dublin. I quickly met other UCD students right at the airport and from that point on I was never alone. Rather than talk about things you can find on a website (like courses or student organizations), I want to focus on the things that nobody told me and I was most pleasantly surprised by.

I really underestimated how big the role of the Study Abroad staff at UCD would be in my time abroad, and they were incredible. I made what would soon become some of my best friends at one of the events they put together, went to them for numerous questions about either academics or logistics regarding transfer of credits and finances, and most importantly always knew that there was someone I could go to if I ever had any issues or concerns.

Additionally, Dublin is an amazing city to spend a semester in. It's incredibly safe and the people are the friendliest in all of Europe (and I traveled a lot, so I can say that confidently). There are great cafes where you can do work or read a book, great pubs to make new friends or have fun with existing ones, plenty of open spaces to take strolls in, and a major airport with low-cost, direct flights to almost every destination in Europe. Plus, it gives you access to the beautiful country that is Ireland–which is conveniently small and therefore easily accessible.

I cannot recommend this program enough. It was a life-changing experience and one of the best decisions I have ever made. I made life-long friends from around the world, learned about new subjects and cultures, and always, truly, felt at home. I hope to be back soon.

Alexia

Semester at UCD

Studying abroad for a semester at UCD was the best decision I made in college. I never thought it would possible to study abroad my junior year of college, as it requires many upper level courses, but UCD had so many interesting classes for me to take that would transfer back to my home university, it was perfect! Also, I decided to study abroad just barely before the application deadline, but it was still such an easy and smooth process.

At UCD, the campus dorms are great- so clean and a lot of things are provided to you which is nice for an international student. The staff is so extremely helpful and will go out of their way to assist you. The classes are challenging, but super interesting and require the analyzation and evaluating of concepts learned as opposed to just memorization, which was new to me, but I appreciated.

There are a lot of international students that attend UCD, but to me that made the experience so much better, as I got to meet a lot of people from all over the world! Overall, Dublin is a great location and a lively city with so many things to do and explore- I didn't even get to do it all and I spent four months here. Definitely don't want to leave!

Honestly, I can't think of anything that would need improving. I truly loved every minute of my time here and never had any bad experiences with UCD or Dublin!
Read my full story
Anna

Choose UCD!!!

I am a civil/environmental engineering major whose home university is UMass Amherst. I decided to study at UCD for the spring semester of my sophomore year, and I'm so glad that I did. All of my professors are extremely friendly, and they are all willing to provide extra help or direct you to other resources if needed. With grades being mostly based on exams, my classes don't have too much busy work so I have plenty of time to travel and explore. The best part is that all of the courses I'm taking here are counting towards my major! Every advisor, faculty member, or any staff that I have encountered at UCD has been friendly, helpful, and if I could go back to my study abroad application process I would make the same decision all over again to come here.

Some of my classes give nearly no assignments, so it is a little nerve-racking when it comes time to take exams because it is hard to tell if I fully understand the material without having many practice problems. This forces you to take the initiative to find ways to practice the material, which is definitely beneficial. However, it might be nice to even have optional assignments in our courses.
Emma

My time at UCD

I was very excited to go to Ireland for my exchange since almost no Norwegian students think about going there. UCD was a clear choice for me, since I had heard so many good things about their engineering programs. I had also heard about the beautiful campus and the good accommodation they supply for international students. It was super easy to make friends as there were so many other international students arriving the same semester as I did. I was also able to make som Irish friends though group projects in my various courses.

I am over halfway done with the semester and I can't belive how the time has flown by. During my time here I have tried to travel as much as I can in Ireland and Northern Ireland. So far I have been to Cork, Galway, Derry, Limerick and Belfast. I have also done a lot of hiking in the beautiful Wicklow mountains! Due to all the traveling and school work I have not had time to be very active in any society. Thus my greatest regret is only staying here for one semester!

Kendra

Studying abroad at UCD in Dublin, Ireland

Wonderful city and amazing university! I have had an amazing time studying at UCD this semester studying chemical engineering. The professors and faculty have been extremely encouraging and helpful. The best part is getting to know other international students from all around the world. The first two months here I took day trips all around Ireland. UCD has multiple programs for international students that offer either free or very well priced day trips. Ryanair has extremely cheap flights to other countries in europe and so far there have been great hostels in all of the cities I've been to. Studying abroad this semester was the best decision I could've ever made!

Cole

Excellent experience

Hello my name is Cole Sooy I study mechanical engineering at UMASS Amherst. I have had an excellent experience at UCD starting from my wonderful adviser Joanne Riley to exploring the awesome social environment Ireland has to offer. Joanne was extremely helpful going as far as to provide incoming student with all sorts of cooking equipment we needed for the semester free of charge. She also helped me change my schedule several times so that I could have the best overall experience in Ireland. Academically I have enjoyed most of the instructors at UCD. That being said one of the instructors (I wont name them but they teach a second year engineering course) has driven my classmates and I insane with their teaching methods. Overall the class is not bad (I have an A so far) but its very hard to understand the material the way it is explained in class. Socially UCD has a billion clubs that are all excellent. I have been playing both frisbee and soccer and have had a ton of fun and made many friends while not feeling particularly tied down to the teams. Great experience going to miss this place.

Location:
57 F / 37 F
Airports:
Dublin
( DUB )

Dublin is the capital of the Republic of Ireland and is the largest city in the country teeming with pubs, castles, museums and Irish step dancing.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About University College Dublin

University College Dublin (UCD) is Ireland's largest and most diverse university. It is also Ireland's most international university, with 20% of the student body consisting of students from 120 countries around the world. UCD is located 3 miles...