Study Abroad at University of Limerick, Ireland

Study Abroad at University of Limerick, Ireland

UL annually welcomes over 2000 International students from around the world including over 500 Study Abroad students making the study abroad experience at UL truly international! We are an active participant in engaging with Study Abroad internationally and UL is one of the few non-US institutions to be a member of the FORUM on Education Abroad with QUIP approval, UL is also a commitment partner for the IIE Generation Study Abroad Initiative.

In the past, UL has been voted by international students as the number one university in Ireland for providing the Best Student Experience, Best Student Support and Warmest Welcome in Ireland. In addition, UL was voted as having the best overall Living Experience in Ireland and the 5th in the world.

We in the international office want your study abroad experience to be transformative and to help you become more independent, confident, and culturally aware because of your time at the University of Limerick. Come explore and enjoy

Europe » Ireland » Limerick
Sociology
Women's Studies
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
Study Abroad tuition fees are €6000 per semester.
Scholarships of €500 are currently available for STEM students studying at Generation Study Abroad Commitment Partner Colleges and Universities

Haileigh

Missing it already

HI!
I'm Haileigh and I am 20 years old. I just finished studying at the University of Limerick! It was my first time traveling abroad by myself and it was amazing! One of the highlights of my trip was the London stopover because, there was a lot of free time provided for us to explore London. One of the other highlights from my trip was spending the weekend in Dublin with three of my friends I met while in Limerick. It was good to have free time and free range. In Limerick everything closes early, usually at 6 or 7pm so sometimes it was hard to find things to do after class since it ended at 4pm but one of the fun things I recommend is Smyth's bar/ club icon! It is in Limerick city and it is a great time! The bar is downstairs and it is more chill and the club is upstairs. I went a few times with friends and had a great time. I also highly recommend the Healthcare program! It is very laid back and has a more holistic approach. It was not very difficult but I definitely learned a lot! The Professors are amazing as well!

More free time on the excursions

Kelly

University of Limerick Semester Abroad

I absolutely loved UL, it was the exact university feel I was hoping to get in Ireland, chock full of the best resources, the nicest people, and of course, the greatest craic. The campus was secluded enough so that students really get the university vibe, yet it was still very easy to access the city center and any other activities one may want to do. Also, the International Office and International Club really went out of their way to make sure that every study abroad student had his or her needs met while they were at UL.

Kaitlin
New York
Roger Williams University

A Place to Call Home

The moment you step off the plane you are welcomed by UL students who work hard all semester to guarantee you are making the most out of your time abroad. There was always a friendly face you recognized around campus, making the University of Limerick the perfect size school in my opinion. The location also could not be any better; having a beautiful campus but still being only 20 minutes from the city. My professors created their own lecture notes and were always available via email so there was no intimidation factor of being an international student. Coming abroad I expected to make American and Irish friends; however, I can now happily say I have good friends from Germany, Hungary, Italy, Holland, France, Spain, Greece, Sweden, Romania, and Canada thanks to UL's focus on becoming a greater international community. I will forever remember the memories I made and lessons I learned while being abroad and would recommend the University of Limerick to anyone who is thinking about traveling abroad. I hope I get the opportunity to visit again soon.

Katy
USA
Pacific University

A few tips to make the most of your time abroad

Studying abroad was the best decision I've ever made. University of Limerick (UL) is known for their clubs and societies, which is the best way to get to meet people. I, as someone who loves the outdoors, joined the Outdoor Pursuits Club (OPC) and spent basically all my time with them. This allowed me to see the natural wonders of Ireland that I never would have seen without the locals taking me there. My biggest tips is to get to know the Irish. They are some of the friendliest people I have ever met and as locals, they will be able to shows the "real" Ireland, not just the tourist attractions. And, step out of your comfort zone and immerse yourself in the Irish culture. This is how you will grow the most as a person and gain the most from your experience, making lifelong memories and friendships! For further insights on my experiences at UL, check out my blog: limerickabroad.wordpress.com

Personally, I wasn't involved much with the international students, as I became friends with a bunch of the Irish, so I couldn't really tell you much about the international program at UL. Though, if I did have questions, I knew who to contact and knew they would do their best to assist me, making me feel comfortable at UL.

Rachael
Andover, MA

Best decision I've ever made

I stayed for the full academic year and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I got to do so much traveling this year to places that I never thought I would see. I think that people who want to study abroad should definitely do it. Not only do you get exposed to a new culture, but you also get to meet people that you otherwise would have never met. It gives you a bunch of opportunities to do things that you might not get to see. Sure, you can google the cliffs of moher but you will never really understand how much of a drop there is unless you are standing (or sitting) on the edge looking down at the water below. Being abroad gives you freedom to do things the way that you want to do them. You learn how to be your own person and how fast money can be spent if you aren't careful. Coming home after a year definitely makes me appreciate the freedom that I had abroad. I made a lot of friends and a lot of amazing memories. I'll miss being abroad but it's nice to be home.

The kitchen didn't have a lot of necessary items. We had to go out and buy them and then at the end of the year we had to figure out what to do with them. I think the program could be improved if the kitchens had all the necessary items (multiple frying pans, cooking trays, utensils and microwaves).

Sam
Hutchinson, MN
University of Minnesota

Summer School Abroad at UL

All of the people at UL were very welcoming and I felt right at home. We stayed in private apartments and were offered numerous excursions to see as much of Ireland as we could over the short duration of our term. We visited several castles and had a few guided tours as well as several self-guided tours. My favorite part was probably visiting the Milk Market in downtown Limerick. We were given a few hours to explore the farmer's market and also had some free time around Limerick. We also got the chance to go downtown to enjoy the nightlife of Limerick with some of the current students of UL. 10/10 would recommend the program, 2 thumbs up, 5 gold stars, standing ovation. This was wonderful experience and anyone who gets the chance to visit UL, you absolutely should.

Abby
Lake Linden, MI
Central Michigan University

Studying Abroad at UL

Going overseas to Ireland was an experience that was definitely heightened by studying at the University of Limerick. The staff was very friendly and made you comfortable with any questions. Within the 3 weeks that I was there, I saw so many parts of Ireland! The extra excursions are worth it, you need to see as much as you can while you're there. Exploring Dublin was one of my favorite parts, as the city has so many different buildings, museums, statues, pubs, and people that were all welcoming.

Michael
Plymouth, MN
University of Minnesota

Study Abroad at UL

When I first came to UL, I wasn't really sure what to make of the whole changing to a new environment and leaving everything behind in the US. I will say though that this semester I had was easily the greatest experience of my life. Becoming immersed in a new culture, traveling all over Europe with a wonderful cast of people who are in a similar situation like me, it was such a life changing trip for me and I would absolutely recommend going to UL.

Nothing

Jenna
East Dubuque, Illinois
Iowa State University

Engineering Abroad

If you're looking for a good community and support system, University of Limerick has all of that for you. The students and staff are all very supportive of international students and the University has a large number of resources and the student's disposal. The city of Limerick is also an up and coming community with a lot social activities, dining locations, and community events such as the farmer's markets they have every week. The only downside I have found of the University is the lack of seriousness surrounding academics. As an engineering student, classes are very important to my degree so the lack of emphasis on the academics is a little frustrating, especially coming from a very intense academic program back in the United States.

An increased dialogue between students and teachers would better the academics of the University and improve the experience of all students. It was frustrating to find there was no feedback system on professors and lack of open communication with professors. A couple professors did not use email and one professor's office was within a restricted area so that students had to wait for someone else to enter or leave the area to get in.

Kerrin
Stoneham, MA
University of New Hampshire

Best decision of my life - Studying at UL

Studying abroad at the University of Limerick was the single best experience of my life. Studying here provided the experience of an Irish college campus as well as experiencing an Irish city (just a 7-10 min drive to downtown Limerick). The university itself is stunning and full of opportunities for student involvement. Countless clubs and activities for everyone. The support international students receive from UL is overwhelmingly helpful. Because of the large percentage of international students I was able to make friends with Irish students as well as friends from all over the world. My classes were interesting, but were not overwhelming (which was good for the specific experience I was looking for). I recommend taking Introduction to traditional Irish music and dance. It was so much fun, and I learned a lot about the Irish culture. Limerick city is also amazing. They have a milk market every weekend that has amazing food and trinkets. Many stores (my FAVORITE was Penny's). Great restaurants and pubs. The city is also home to two other universities so it has a lot of night life catering to the college ages. The nightlife was so much fun! The campus bar, Stables, always had events going on. Every Friday they host international night which is SO much fun! If you want a crazier night out Limerick city has many clubs and pubs that I am sure will fulfill what your looking for. The food was really good. I had a kitchen so I cooked for myself and all the food was great quality. The food when I went out to eat whether on campus or in the city was always good. Unfortunately for coffee drinkers, the coffee does not even compare to the coffee in the states. Also, iced coffee doesn't exist. Living accommodations weren't bad. Back in the states I always shared a dorm room, but at UL everyone gets their own room and shares a kitchen with roommates. Depending on which student housing you are put in you could get your own bathroom. I lived in Plassy village (an older village) I shared a bathroom with three other girls and shared my house with seven others. Although it was not the best living accommodations I loved my roommates and wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else. If you are looking to travel within Ireland, UL is great. The International club has trips all over Ireland that you can sign up for. As for traveling Europe you usually have to take a bus to Dublin Airport (Cheaper flights than Shannon airport). The bus ride is about 3 hours but the buses have free wifi and run on every hour. It really is not that bad. I recommend traveling the UK while your in Ireland. The flights are cheap and I was able to see a lot of cities I would have never gone to otherwise (Edinburgh, Scotland -Liverpool, England - London, England - Chester, England - Essex, England - Conwy, Wales - Lllandundo, Wales). I absolutely recommend this university, this city, this Country, it was life changing.

Yuan
China

A Professor's Noble Party

After the final exams and essays, the professor of my module EH6032 Modern poetry invited all the students to come to her house and have a party. The rule of this party is that each one brings a poem and read it to all, and student who can play his instrument is encouraged to play there. After hearing this invitation, the first impression came up in my mind is that this professor is extremely kind, for only the teacher who truly loves his students will be happy to invite everyone, no matter how many there are. And also she's exceptionally interested in art, that's why she could come up with the idea of music playing.

According to the direction of the address, I rode to her house. I didn't know it is a huge house with a immense yard. After entering the gate, I still need to ride a couple of minutes to reach the house. The pictures below are taken from her place. They are bright and gentle, exactly corresponding to the professor's characteristic.

When I knocked the door, the professor and her partner gave me a hug to express their warm welcome. They asked me to sit down and drink tea and chat with them. I appreciated their hospitality but I know there's a lot to prepare for the dinner so I helped them to cook in their kitchen. Later I found the professor's partner is a model husband. He not only supported her idea of party, but also cooked several dishes for us. By the way, his cooking skill is marvelous! All the students enjoyed the meal a lot!

Now it comes to the poem reading section. I prepared an ancient Chinese poem called Upstream and downstream Tune. I read it in Chinese first and then read the English translation version. One student asked me:"Does every character stands for something?" "Yes," I answered. "For example, the character "休"(rest)is composed of "人" (person) and "木" (tree), which means this character is coined from the phenomenon that "when a person wants to have a rest, he needs to lean against a tree". This example aroused huge interest from the others! After the party the professor sent me an email to specially praise my interpretation. "Thank you again for your poem and character presentation in the party last night. I will carry with me a long time the look on Conor's (another student) face as he listened to you present him with a whole new way of thinking about the relation of language to sign system, including the important questions that arise from "thinking in pictures." When he said, "My mind is blown," he encapsulated what everyone in the room felt as you explained Chinese language and poetry so clearly and compellingly."

The poems of different languages in different cultures brought by the other students are also impressive. Every language has its own pride, and the mission of we language learners is to spread our language and culture, which are the legacy of our ancestors, to the whole world and see them bloom and shine in a new way. I think in this sense everyone of us did a good job, and this is the noblest meaning of our party.

This program is unmatched in my mind. If I have to say something about how to improve it, I'd like to say if this program can urge students to constantly focus on study, it can benefit more study abroad participants to fulfill their academic goals. Because there are loads of enchanting activities in UL, students are easy to be distrated.

Sam
Newtown, CT
Pennsylvania State University

The Best Craic

Studying abroad at UL was one of the best decisions I ever made. I fell in love with the university and Ireland in general so much more than I ever could have imagined. The University of Limerick is a very student-centered university; the work that the Student Union puts forth to create the best student experience possible is very evident. There are lots of amazing clubs and societies that allowed me to participate in many diverse experiences such as spending St. Paddy's Day in Dublin and climbing Mount Carrauntoohil, Ireland's highest mountain.
The student life at UL is very vibrant, with two pubs and two sports bars on campus and all the great pubs and clubs of Limerick City Centre only a short cab/ bus ride away. The university itself is very beautiful with lots of athletic fields and just lots of green space overall. The buildings for the most part are very modern and easy to navigate.
The living arrangements at UL were very good. I lived in a 6 person house - 3 american students, one greek student, one french student, and one german student. This was a really amazing experience because we all came from very different backgrounds and really became such a tight-knit family (saying goodbye on my last day was one of the hardest things I have ever done). The house was fairly spacious and we all got our own rooms!
Limerick's proximity to Shannon Airport made traveling very convenient, and Dublin was only a 2.5 hour bus ride away which really was not all so bad.
Probably my favorite part about UL is the people. The students were so friendly and welcoming - I could tell most students were genuinely interested in getting to know me. I will always miss the fun-loving nature of UL's students.
Overall, UL was super great. I would recommend it without any reservation.

A little more guidance from the International Office would have been nice. I was often confused and not entirely sure of what I needed to be doing. Sometimes it took the international office a long time to respond to emails. Maybe that's just me being an American and wanting to be informed of everything immediately ;)

Lindsey
Houston
Colorado State University

About UL

I am so grateful to have stumbled upon UL. Not many people know about Limerick, much less UL, especially back home in the states. However this place is a hidden gem. UL gives you the perfect balance; you're able to travel and visit all of the major cities that are so often talked about, but living in Limerick gives you a more cozy and local lifestyle you can't get anywhere else. I was able to live with four irish students, most of my classes were only UL students, and I felt like I was truly part of the school instead of just a visitor. Other schools and countries may boast their incredible views and tourist activities, but at another school I would have most likely been in classes with all Americans, and feel more like a visitor than a student, which wasn't what I was looking to get out of studying abroad (Not to say that I didn't love my fellow Americans overseas! They were just as essential to this perfect semester as everyone else!). There's a huge amount of erasmus students that study there as well, which gives you a unique opportunity to meet people from all over Europe. While it is entirely too cliche, the people really do make the place, and UL has some of the best people. I am happy to say that while Limerick isn't the most hyped up town, the school and the students in it make this one of the most unique, comfortable, and fun experiences for anyone looking to study abroad in Ireland.

Connor
Middletown, New Jersey, USA
Franklin & Marshall College

Great Craic in UL!

My experience in Limerick, Ireland and the University of Limerick was absolutely exceptional. I couldn't have asked for more. Luckily for me, I had a very unique experience do to the immense familial connections I have in Limerick. I was happy to have engulfed myself in Irish culture, which was something I had wanted to do since I was a young boy. I had cousins who lived only up the road from me and therefore became very close with them, especially my cousin Mark who will be attending UL this upcoming fall. He and his friends welcomed me with open arms and I was able to assimilate into their friend group as if I had been there all along. We made some memories that will forever be etched into my mind.

In regards to the school itself, UL is magnificent. It has a beautiful campus that seems to be expanding. My classes were fairly challenging, but enabled me to enjoy myself for the four and a half months I was there. The campus housing was great and I felt very comfortable with my living arrangements. In addition, I was very impressed with the food the school had to offer. Both, "The Stables" and "Scholars" pubs which are located right in the Student's Union courtyard were great spots to grab a bite to eat, and of course, a pint... or three. Another thing I was very impressed with was the athletic facilities the campus had to offer. There were two regulation length 3G soccer pitches, a 3G football/hurling pitch, and a 3G rugby pitch. I frequently played soccer on those pitches both during the day and at night (the facility has lights for night sessions).

Socially, UL (located in Castletroy, is only a short taxi ride away from Limerick City. There is much to do in the city and nightlife is great. There are a few different clubs (Icon being the main one) and many different bars (Flannery's, Nancy Blake's, Costello's, etc.) where you can have some good craic.

In all honesty, I don't think there is much to improve if anything at all. I can't think of anything that stood out in a negative light. The University of Limerick does a great job incorporating it's Study Abroad, Erasmus and International Students. Thanks for everything!

Michelle
Norton, Massachusetts
Roger Williams University

Studying abroad at UL was the best decision!

I studied abroad at UL during the Spring Semester of 2012. I knew I had always wanted to travel to Ireland so I decided to study abroad in the country. It was hands down one of the best decisions I had ever made. I chose UL because at the time it was new to my University's options of study abroad destinations and it worked well with the transferring of credits. I lived in the on campus apartment Kilmurry and became best friends with all my room mates. We had a great time attending class together and exploring all that Ireland had to offer! I would highly recommend UL to anyone thinking about studying abroad in Ireland. The International Office is fantastic with helping international students :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the programme! On a personal level, I would have loved to of made more Irish friends while abroad but I still made great friends from all over the world and the U.S. :)

Morgan
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

My Time in Limerick

My time at the University of Limerick was incredible. I loved living in Cappavilla Village, my roommates were awesome, and it was conveniently located on the upper campus. Things that I needed were available, the head of my village was VERY helpful, and there were resources available for things that I needed. The program that I was involved in was very good although there were some issues that have since been resolved.

Ema
Castletroy, Ireland
University of Limerick

UL is the Best Decision of My College Career !!

Coming to a new college was scary, but UL took that 'scared newbie' status and threw it out right away. I considered my village (on-campus accommodation is awesome, I have my own room, and epic international student roommates from all over the world!!) to be my home within the first week.

The academics have generally high standards, knowledgeable professors, and staff that are always willing to help those who want to learn.

The people at UL welcomed the study abroad students with open arms! I joined field hockey, gymnastics, outdoor pursuits and kayaking, and met people I will be friends with for the rest of my life!!

Very close to the big cities and easy no-stop buses run to the airport if you want to travel, which I did often! But Limerick is not full of tourists, it is the authentic Irish experience, including amazing academic resources, comfortable and cozy living space, and amazing people that will help you learn all about the culture and the history of Ireland. (:

10/10 for UL.

It couldn't!! Completely amazing! P.S. JOIN INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY. They will give you 10-15 euro toured trips to almost anywhere in Ireland.

Maddie
Limerick, Ireland

Forever Friends at UL

As a first year spending my first semester of college overseas and away from my family, I was very nervous. I wasn't sure how I would adapt to life overseas. I received an invitation to be assigned to a "buddy" a few weeks before I left. Immediately I received an email from my UL buddy! She told me what life was like in Limerick, and what I could look forward to seeing and doing! She was very relatable and very nice! She even offered an alternative way to talk by adding me on many different social media sites so that It would be easier to talk. During the year, she reached out to me every other week, making sure that I was adjusting to life at UL, and enjoying myself. While over in Ireland, my grandmother passed away. Being away from my family made this even harder. She immediately reached out to me and took me to visit a local shopping center to have a change of scenery. I was overwhelmed with the sense of friendship. She still has continued to check in with me, and we hope to meet up before I head home!

I would suggest integrating Irish students and study abroad students. I think a mixer or a meet and greet would be a fun way to introduce people! Also, maybe a trip just for study abroad students!

Emily
Limerick, Ireland

UL should be your #1 choice

When deciding where I wanted to study abroad, I found some cool looking places, but UL stood out to me right off the bat. The International Program is one of the largest and diverse programs out there. The first week we had an orientation with all of the international students which was really helpful to get to know the campus, the routines in classes, meet some friends, and explore Limerick before classes started. There are also so many opportunities for international students to get involved. Among some of the clubs and societies that very enthusiastically recruit all students include the International Society, the Outdoor Pursuits Club, Kayaking Club, Music Society, and there is even a Tea Appreciation Society!
Traveling is also an easy and exciting way to spend some weekends! Whether you're looking to go around Europe or stay in Ireland, the opportunities are endless. Some of my favorite trips were here in Ireland. The International Office and the International Society put on trips to different places in Ireland such as the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, and Cork. It's a great way to get involved and see some beautiful cities.
Overall, my time at UL was so amazing it's hard to put into words. I've made some friends for life, learned about Irish culture, and a lot about myself. You will not regret choosing UL!

I wish I had more information about accommodation before coming to Ireland. I ended up living off campus, but I would've rather stayed in one of the villages.

The University of Limerick (UL) is an independent, internationally focussed university with over 13,000 students, approximately 13% of whom are international. Established in 1972, UL is a young, energetic and enterprising university with a proud record of innovation in education and excellence in research and