ISA Study Abroad in Rome, Italy

ISA Study Abroad in Rome, Italy

Roma, the Eternal City, the City of seven hills, Caput Mundi (head of the world): whatever you call it, one thing is for sure, Rome has an enormous wealth of history, culture and international influence. With its many neighborhoods and sprawling historical sites, Rome gives you the sense of being in a small town, despite the fact of being home to almost 3 million people.

Students participating in the ISA Rome Semester or Summer program can choose from a multitude of courses in English as well as several courses in the Italian language offered at the American University of Rome (AUR). All participants are in the classroom with North American and other international students. The wide range of course options available includes Art, Architecture, Economics, History, International Relations, Literature, Italian History and Language, Social Sciences, Political Science, Physical and Biological Sciences, Video production, and more.

Europe » Italy » Rome

Chandler
Tempe, AZ
Arizona State University

Changed My Life

ISA was one of the best things I have ever done. The program directors were amazing and always willing to help with anything, whether it was with my Italian, hailing a taxi, or just being there to talk. I would 100% recomend this program!

The American University of Rome was not the best school, maybe go through John Cabbot or another school.

Haley
Arizona
Arizona State University

Changed the course of my life

Studying abroad in Italy certainly gave me the travel bug. After taking an International Business course IN ITALY(!!) I decided I must work on the international scene. Every day in Rome, I wanted to walk alone to get everywhere, so I wouldn't be distracted by someone I knew (I know it sounds bad, but really it was just because Rome and the people were so perfect that they deserved the whole of my attention. The excursions were amazing, the people I met were amazing, and every moment in Rome was amazing. The support staff was essentially your family while you are there - all of them are amazing, and I wish I could stay in touch with them. ISA was great because you really had to do nothing besides (obviously) have a passport and get the medical checkup. At almost every school, studying abroad costs the same as taking a regular semester. If you don't study abroad, your life won't be as wonderful as it can be. Don't let this chance to open your eyes to the wonders of life slip by. Apply now! Personally, I would suggest taking one serious class (a.k.a. one major-focused, or even international business because AUR has the BEST professor for that class) and one fun/cultural one (i.e. the food tasting one, the history class, etc). Heads-up, the food tasting class was apparently impossible to get an A.

It's pretty much perfect. Sadly, my apartment's shower didn't have warm water -_- that was AWFUL! But, I heard this was a weird thing because everyone else had warm water. Fortunately, it was summertime, so it wasn't a huge deal that the water was ice cold.

Paola
El Paso, Texas

The best experience of my life

Studying in Rome was the best experience of my life. There was always something to do, or new to discover. Our university was always hosting different activities that ranged from trips to the beach, to cooking classes with a local chef. Rome was always full of life; there was always a new restaurant to have dinner at, or a new place that served the " best gelato in town." Going abroad, and going through ISA was one of the best choices I've ever made.

The one thing I wish we could have done different was the departure date. Our program ended in the middle of the week, and I would have liked to have one more weekend in Rome.

Duaa
Nashville, TN
Middle Tennessee State University

Take me back!

This program was the best I could have asked or out of a study abroad program! We got to fully merge into the Roman lifestyles and do as the Romans do. It was great to have an apartment because it felt like we were more involved in the community. We learned about each site by visiting them individually and this made the information stick really well, especially for a visual learner like myself! The ISA staff was so wonderful in helping us with all that we needed while in Italy--everything from picking us up from the airport, to helping us plan trips while in Italy, to giving us recommendations for fun things to do while abroad! I would recommend his program to absolutely anyone wanting to experience life abroad!

Tori
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Wake Forest University

Take Me Back!!

I honestly can't speak highly enough of this program. From arriving at the airport, to orienting you to the city, to taking you on excursions through some of the best places in Italy, ISA has set up a phenomenal program.

Rome stole my heart and I will definitely be going back some day. I loved buying fruit at the local frutteria and eating dinner at the quaint restaurants in Trastevere. My professors at AUR were from all over the world and I felt like I truly found what it meant to become a "cultured" person. ISA worked really with my school to accommodate program costs with my financial aid package. If you ever get the chance, do not hesitate - go!!!

Emi
Helena, Montana
Carroll College

Amazing Experience

One of my favorite things about this program was the included excursions to different parts of Italy, as well as the included tours of museums and historical sights. I always felt safe in my neighborhood, and the American University of Rome is such a great school to be a part of. There was a great sense of community with fellow students and it was awesome to get to experience a foreign country with so many fun people.

One thing that I would improve would be that it was hard to feel connected to the program directors, and I was hoping to be able to get to know them better while I was there.

Briana
Tempe, Arizona
American University

ROMA FOREVA

A day in Roma is better day then anywhere else. The staff was wonderful and was so helpful in every situation. They even came to the grocery store when we couldnt find things we needed (we couldnt read the labels haha). Roma has so much culture and experiences that you never have a day where there is nothing to do.

Carol
Alabama
Auburn University

Choose Rome

Rome has so much to offer students of every type and interest. Spending even just an afternoon in the city full of modern life and yet infused with the ancient remains of the past is enough to make anybody question how they think about history. Combined with the proximity to the Vatican, Rome just has so much to offer. ISA had a great program with excursions to Florence and Sorrento, and AUR is a great school with supportive faculty and great students.

I would have loved to see the program foster relationships with local students a little more, but the opportunities are still definitely there if you look!

eyeris
Berkeley, CA
University of California- Berkeley

Ciao bella!

I had originally decided to study abroad with a friend but after she realized that she couldn't come, I went by myself. At first I was scared since this was my first time traveling outside of the country by myself but it ended up being one of the best decisions ever. ISA did a fabulous job matching me up with 3 other amazing girls who I still keep in touch with to this day. In fact, one of them is actually getting married next summer and we're all planning to visit her! If you can, I would suggest studying abroad by yourself because it truly pushes you to step out of your comfort zone. There were 4 other girls in my program who all came together and while it was probably nice and easy for them to do everything together, I hardly saw them taking advantage of interacting with the locals and the other people at the University and in the program.

I couldn't have chosen a better place to study abroad. Although the heat could get extremely irritating, the food, sights, and social scene definitely made up for it. Plus, I am Roman Catholic so it was really nice to visit all of the beautiful churches and see where the Pope lives.

Both the ISA staff in Austin and in Rome were very helpful and easy to talk to. When a document that I needed to submit was going to come in late because of a mistake my university had made, they didn't charge me a late fee. There was also the weekend when I got a bug bite on my eyelid which caused it to swell up. I was freaking out since I looked like Quasimodo but one of the staff members helped me calm down and brought me to a pharmacy right away. She acted as a translator so I could get the medicine I needed and it only lasted for 3 days.

The American University of Rome is a small but beautiful campus and I really enjoyed interacting with students from all over. I met people from so many different places, ranging from New York and Arkansas to Venezuela and Trinidad. I took an Art of Rome class which allowed us to visit new sites instead of sitting in a classroom which was a fun way to get a lot of traveling done. However, the public transporation in Rome isn't very reliable and there were plenty of times were I was stuck waiting for what seemed like ages. I also took an Introduction to Language and Culture class that was easy but very interesting. Overall, the classes were not very difficult and the professors were very sweet. However, not all of the classes offered at this University are the same. I had roommates who had 12 page research papers due and multiple presentations so it really depends on what you choose.

Although I was only able to study in Rome for a month, the experience never made me feel like I missed out on anything. Excursions are included and make up a majority of my favorite memories abroad. This is when I got to go wine tasting in Tuscany and swim through a grotto in Capri. Especially in the summer when there are hundreds of tourists fighting to get their best shot of the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, or the Colosseum, ISA's planning couldn't have been better. We hardly ever had to wait too long to get into a museum, our hotels were always in the heart of whatever city we were visiting, and our tour guides were always entertaining. With ISA, you truly get your money's worth and I highly recommend studying abroad with them.

One thing I did not like about ISA was my housing situation. The walls were so thin that you could literally hear everything that was going on in the building and this is not fun when you're trying to sleep in on a Saturday morning. Although our rooms were spacious, I wish the showers and kitchen area were larger. Plus, there was this weird door situation going on where our keys would randomly stop working. We must have gotten locked out at least 5 times which was very annoying because we would have to wait at least 30 minutes for someone to come and fix it for us. ISA should really check out things like this before students arrive because no one wants to come home after a long night of partying only to find out that they can't get in.

Marianna
Glassboro, New Jersey
Rowan University

Overall Review

I enjoyed my experience with ISA so much that I couldn't bear to let it go as soon as I got back to the USA. I chose to become a Global Ambassador for ISA. Now, I tell students about my experience and hope that they choose ISA for their study abroad experience.

The best part of being abroad was the every day adventures I would take. It could be something as little as navigating the tram to planning a long, eventful weekend in another country - no adventure was too exciting!

I loved the ISA staff. They made us feel so welcome from the start. I enjoyed all of our excursions, especially since I didn't have to plan them - it was like a bonus having it planned out already! The activities like day tours/trips and cooking classes broke up the weeks in a fun way, and helped me not miss my family so much.

The American University of Rome was a great place to meet people from all over the world, and learn things that you wouldn't normally learn at a university in the United States - like having a hands-on Archaeology of Rome class.

My living situation COULD NOT have been better! I was matched up and lived with the most wonderful group of girls. We got along from the very beginning, and cried our eyes out when we had to say goodbye. Our apartment was very nice, clean and functional. Of course it took us a while to get used to Italian appliances and their quirks, but it was all part of the fun.

I had to jump over several hurdles to study abroad, and I even lost a scholarship because I left the country. But I would do it all over again, I have ZERO regrets and TONS of memories.

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,