Study Abroad at Lorenzo de' Medici (LdM) in Florence, Italy

Study Abroad at Lorenzo de' Medici (LdM) in Florence, Italy

Lorenzo de Medici invites you to come study abroad in Florence, Italy! Many program options are available throughout the year, as well as courses offered in a large variety of subject areas. Choose to study for the whole academic year, the fall or spring semesters, summer months, or January intersession. Specialty programs are also offered. Sign up today to begin your studies in the beautiful city of Florence, Italy at LdM!

Europe » Italy » Florence

Carly
Vernon Hills, IL
Illinois State University

Florence, Italy

Lorenzo De Medici provided an amazing experience that will forever be in my heart. I have endless amounts of memories that will never fade. My favorite memories are sitting on the Piazza de Michelangelo drinking wine and eating cheese listening a women playing the guitar. I also love when the two guys play on the Ponte Vecchi at night while everyone stands around enjoying the view and the music. It's always a relaxing scene that puts all the stress away.

Better housing. Some apartments were big and great and some were very small.

Angela
Hamden, Connecticut
Quinnipiac University

Amazing Italian Adventure

Studying abroad in the heart of Florence was the chance of a lifetime and was one of the best experiences of my life thus far. Everything from the cuisine, to the social scene were amazing and something that I had never imagined. One of the best parts of my study abroad experience was my teacher and the class I took regarding archaeology and Florence. I was able to learn so much about the history of Florence, Fiesole and what remains hidden underneath both of these historic sites. There is so much history and it is difficult to capture it all in a short time, but my teacher at Lorenzo De'Medici made it easy.

The one downfall to taking a summer study abroad course is that a lot of information and classwork has to be squeezed into four weeks. For students going abroad for a semester, most had off every Friday so they were able to travel more often, but because of the brevity of my program, we sometimes had class on Fridays. This eliminated some options for travel on certain weekends.

Amy
Honolulu, Hawai
University of Hawaii- Manoa

Studying in Florence

Studying at Lorenzo de' Medici gives you the unique opportunity to live and study in the heart of Firenze. Firenze is truly a walking town, which makes it easy to get lost, and thus get to know the old city as you take courses in different buildings throughout the city. Learning Italian is not necessary; however, will open up your experience to that many more incredible opportunities. Their is a large emphasis on relating whatever courses you take to the Italian culture: Italian food and wine, sociology of the mafia, all the arts and fashion. A great school that makes sure you get the most out of the experience as you'd like to.

The school's attendance policy hindered the ability to travel and explore the rest of Italy and Europe. In my opinion if you can maintain your grades and participate in the class then there should not be a policy which detracts large percentages of your overall grade. Some home institutes transfer the grades directly, rather than pass or no pass.

Allison
Boston
Marymount Manhattan College

From New York to Italy

I studied abroad with Lorenzo de Medici spring 2011. I came through marymount manhattan college in nyc. The Mosaic class, and the fresco restoration class were my two favorites. I loved our housing in particular because we were located in such a prime spot. Right on Bogo Pinti - we had access to all the most exciting night life as well as easy access to shopping, sight seeing and our classes! Every time I traveled on the weekends I was happy to come home to florence and my cozy little school.

The library could be better.

Smriti
Pittsburgh, PA
University of Illinois- Chicago

Fun in Florence

While I was in Florence for 4 months, I attended the LDM school to take classes for my Studio Art Minor. With the guidance of the instructors, I was challenged and thus, improved immensely. The instructors were very helpful and I learned a lot during my time there. What is even more exciting is talking about an artist and their work in class and then going to the museum and seeing it in person the next day! Florence has excellent food, museums, and places for fun. The program also offers clubs for students to join in order facilitate social and cultural experiences. All in all, it was a good experience and I would repeat it again in a heart beat.

At LDM, the majority of the students are American and so are many of the instructors. I went to Italy in hopes to have an more immersed cultural experience; I was under the impression that I would interact and befriend some local Italians. However, all the friends I made were other Americans and the opportunity to safely interact with locals was limited. I think the program could improve by facilitating a relationship between their students and the local community.

Addy
Boston, Massachusetts

Study abroad in Italy!

Studying abroad here was life changing. I would go back in a second. Academically the classes were challenging but I met some amazing professors. Socially I could not have had more fun in Florence, it was like a dream. I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone.

The strict absence rule.

Jack
Shrewsbury MA

Great time

My life in Florence was honestly a daydream. I did what I wanted when I wanted and rarely had consequences. Obviously that made it a lot f fucking fun. The classes where a good time and I enjoyed the learning experiences I had. Florence has a place in my heart and always will.

The teacher's English was poor but they tried and gave us OK grades as long as we showed up.

Alix
Somerville, MA

Viva Italia

Study abroad in Florence and you will live in one of the most beautiful places in Europe. I fell in love with Italy. Classes were great and the courses are perfect to study the language, art, and history of Italy. Definitely take a pairing wine and cooking class! LDM offers city tours, discounted tickets to soccer games or museum cards, and many clubs -- I advise you to join! Florence is a city you will never forget.

I would change the attendance rule. If students become sick and miss three days of class, for any unforeseen reason, despite their grade, they fail the class. I understand wanting to avert students from skipping classes, but I think a student's class grades should overrule this failing rule.

Lilyyy3
Tampa, FL
University of South Florida

la citta bella

The city is great, everything is in walking distance and I felt really safe. The food is to die for, you can avoid spending a lot by going to the local places. Classes were challenging but I was still able to enjoy the sights and live like a local.

Mike
Hamden, Connecticut
Quinnipiac University

I Highly Recommend Studying Abroad

Studying abroad is something that I will always hold close as a special experience in my life. I learned many life lessons begin abroad. Living in a city, by myself, cooking, cleaning, and traveling on my own, were all things that I was not used to before going abroad. Not to mention, I had never left the United States before studying in Italy.

Being in Florence was incredible. The staff in my program and at school (LdM) were all extremely helpful in aiding my positive experience. I always felt I had someone to turn to if a problem arose, I had any questions, or just needed someone to talk to. Everyone was welcoming and very kind.

I would highly recommend studying abroad to anyone remotely close to being interested in broadening their horizons of culture, art, history, and life itself. It is an incredible experience.

Study abroad in Florence, Rome, Tuscania, or Venice, Italy this year at Lorenzo de' Medici! LdM is fully dedicated to enabling students to meet their potential while both developing their personal creativity and interacting with the global community. Check out some of their great study