IES Abroad Nagoya DE - Nanzan University

By IES Abroad   Reviews (16)   91% Rating

Immerse yourself in Japanese culture through full-time enrollment at the Center for Japanese Studies (CJS) at Nanzan University. As a distinguished private university, Nanzan University offers excellent learning opportunities. In addition to a required intensive Japanese language class, you will choose from a range of CJS English-taught course offerings in Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences, and enjoy hands-on instruction in Japanese arts such as ikebana, shodo, hanga, and sumie. Students with very advanced language skills are encouraged to enroll in seminars taught in Japanese with local students.

Asia » Japan

Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

A Truly Immersive Experience

Overall

The IES experience was truly beyond what I expected from studying abroad. While we were given great cultural classes in addition to our regular classes, they assured that students were truly immersed in exploration, creating international friendships, and having a working understanding of the language and social aspects. The trips included many cultural experiences that even normal Japanese people do not get to do (i.e. very nice tea houses!).
Even when I was going on side trips with friends, Nagoya's location is perfectly located so that you can easily get to visit tourist favorites, such as Tokyo and Osaka, with ease. It also is a big city with many attractions within itself, but you get the feeling of it being legitimately Japan. Especially among my friends who were really searching for actually learning the culture and improving their language skills, Nagoya's Nanzan University the best program fit.
If you're still deciding which program to choose, you won't regret choosing IES Nagoya!

Many students weren't taught well of the social environment and nuances, so it could create for an awkward transition when meeting people, making friends, or even just socializing in general.
Emily
Washington, District of Columbia

Incredible Semester in Nagoya!

Overall

I really couldn't have imagined my experience without going abroad with IES! IES provided so much support and opportunities for all of us during the semester. My friends who also studied abroad at Nanzan (but not with IES) were always really jealous of all of the incredible performances we saw and field trips we went on as a part of IES! Furthermore, the upper levels at Nanzan for Japanese studies are incredible, I learned so much and my Japanese improved dramatically. Would DEFINITELY recommend this program, and I do!

Choosing this program is such an incredible investment in your life and future! :)

Jordain
Trumbull
Mount Holyoke College

Life in Nagoya

Overall

I can easily say that the 5 months I spent in Nagoya were the best of my life. I wish I could have stayed for the full 10 months, and I was incredibly sad to return to the states. The intensive courses were challenging but very rewarding; by the end of the program I had made noticeable leaps in my language abilities. While I enjoyed going out on my own cultural excursions, the trips arranged by IES were incredibly enjoyable. I was able to visit places that I never would have on my own, and got to interact with locals during origami and pottery workshops.

The biggest downside I faced was my living situation. I was set up in an international dorm, which was conveniently close to Nanzan's campus. I was lucky in this sense; everyone else in IES had a 30+ minute commute and had to pay for their subway passes. However, my dorm had incredibly strict rules, and was quite different from the American dorms I've lived in. The dorm had 24 hour surveillance, with a security guard on the premises at all times. Any guests, even from the same program, were explicitly forbidden. Due to these rules, I spent very little time in my dorm.

n/a
Kristie
Vietnam
Tufts University

Uhm..Best Experience Ever?

Overall

GO TO JAPAN! It's an amazing country filled with its own exquisite charms and surprises. Studying abroad in Japan through IES Abroad is the best decision I've ever made. Throughout the whole journey, from applying to being on the program, I've been supported and cared for by my advisors off-site and on-site. I met amazing people, some of whom became my close friends and mentors, and improved my Japanese along the way. Nanzan University was a perfect choice for me as their rigorous Japanese language program pushed me to speak Japanese wherever I go and their cultural activities always promoted more interaction with Japanese locals. IES Abroad also did a great job with arranging diverse and interesting cultural excursions, through which I received much more than I ever expected. Learning about history of how Japan was formed, making soba noodles from scratch, trying out pottery and calligraphy, walking through the Atomic Bomb museum in Hiroshima, eating fresh oysters and other delicacies of each visited city, befriending friends from Australia, Korea, Japan, China, Malaysia...I can't even count those endless times I've made a great memory. Everybody should hop on this train with IES Abroad Nagoya because you won't regret it! Be prepared to eat the weird stuff, use a language 24/7 that is not your own and just immerse yourself in the culture and the people. Good Luck!

Non-Japanese tend to stick together so I didn't see much interaction between Japanese students and ourselves. Although there were a lot of cultural meets and greets and events that foster than crosscultural communication, they were very short. Half of the time, I didn't get to see those new Japanese friends I made ever again after the event. If they looked like more ongoing weekly activities, it would be easier to become closer to them and actually stay as friends, instead of acquaintances.
Brianna
Tullahoma, TN
Swarthmore College

Wonderful City, Laid Back Academics

Overall

I studied abroad in Nagoya for a spring semester through IES Abroad. In short, I would definitely recommend the program to anyone considering study abroad in Japan.

The IES orientation in Inuyama was a great way to brush up on the language and be eased into the different culture in an informative and supportive environment that also allowed me to meet people and make friends before being sent off to Nanzan proper. The two IES representatives were incredibly helpful and genuinely seemed to care about the well-being of each individual in the program. Even if you don't go to Japan, I would recommend working with IES since they provide so much support.

The Center for Japanese Studies at Nanzan was staffed by universally nice and helpful people. The entrance process to determine what level of Japanese class you should be in is very extensive, so you'll most likely be placed in the best level for you. The language instructors were also very nice and supportive, and I thought the packets made for the classes were very helpful (oftentimes better than the textbook). I wish that the other academic courses would be given the same level of consideration as the language classes (the other ones are hit-and-miss as far as quality), but this ultimately is a language-learning program. The Japanese methods of teaching are something to get used to if you come from a Western country, and it can sometimes be frustrating. I have my complaints about it, but they're very subjective complaints, and it's more of a cultural difference than something being overtly negative. For those of you looking for a low-stress school year, though, Japanese universities are famously laid back, and the CJS program is no exception. Around mid-terms or finals you may scramble around to remember your kanji, but, for the most part, you have the leeway to put classes on the back-burner and just enjoy being in the country.

I really love the city of Nagoya. I'm not a city-kid. I would not have survived in Tokyo (good place to visit once, though). If you're someone looking for a huge, bustling city, Nagoya may be a bit too quiet for you. For me, though, it was the perfect size. Sakae and Kanayama have the night life you want. Fushimi has a very interesting science museum even if you can't read the signs. There's a zoo; there's the Boston Museum of Art (free for students, by the way); there's an aquarium; there's a huge park with My Neighbor Totoro references that is constantly holding festivals; there are shopping centers everywhere for any need you could possibly have. You can get manga extremely cheap. There are nooks and crannies with very interesting bars and restaurants and shops. And you still have to take the subway everywhere, so you still feel like you're in a city. I had about a 40 minute commute by subway from my homestay to Nanzan, which was typical from what I saw. You get used to it, though. It's also extremely safe, or I at least felt extremely safe. Walking home late at night from the subway station wasn't in any way unpleasant. I had to go to a clinic twice while abroad -- once for getting sick and the second time after twisting my ankle -- and, even if they don't speak English and you haven't memorized your "trip to the hospital" Japanese vocabulary, I found that the doctors really try their best to help you to the best of their capacity, so don't be afraid of getting medical help if you think you need it either.

I am an introvert, so making friends or having a vibrant nightlife were not things that I've found easy doing in the past. But it was surprisingly easy to build a social circle and have things to do on Friday and Saturday nights while I was in Nagoya. My host family was wonderful -- home cooked family dinner every night, trips to museums and zoos, etc. As I said above, the IES orientation was a great way to establish a friend group in a foreign country full of people you've never met.
As a note, Japanese social lives tend to involve bars, alcohol, and lots of karaoke. You will go out for karaoke more in one month in Japan than you've ever thought possible. Drinking isn't a necessary thing, but be warned that it's going to happen around you if you're out late enough. I also taught English (it's incredibly easy to become a tutor if you want to) in my free time, which was a wonderfully rewarding experience. My going away party with my students was one of the happiest moments that I had abroad.

Overall, though there were negative points, as there are with anything, I still love the city and I love the friends I made there. If you have reservations about being a gaijin in such an ethnically homogeneous country: Yes, you do tend to stick out like a sore thumb if you're not on campus with the other study abroad students, sometimes people stare, but I didn't experience anything hostile or mean-spirited for the entire time I was there, and I'm a black woman. So no worries. I definitely want to return to Japan soon.

The academics at CJS are shaky in some areas, and it feels like the language courses teach to a test as opposed to teaching for the sake of gaining a better grasp on the language. I became better a conversation and the like outside of class, not in it.
Ah
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Reminder & Check

Overall

All host families are different and all my friends had different experiences with their host family. I originally thought I would be spending a lot of time with my host family, such as going out with them on their daily errands or learning Japanese culture from them. Instead, my experience was very mundane. They spent the majority of their time watching television, going over assignments with their children and preparing for dinner. It was a bit difficult to communicate with them because my Japanese level was not as high and elaborating on topics was very difficult on both ends. But, before you think about seriously applying to IES Abroad for Nanzan University, you should check if their Japanese courses are align with yours. For example, Nanzan University of second year Japanese does not start off with GENKI 2, it starts off with GENKI 2 chapter 15.

I was glad I chose IES, because they took us to various locations that were popular in Japan. Fushimi Inari, which is a shrine in Kyoto, was probably one of the best ones in my opinion. Also, just be prepared to have a jam-packed schedule whenever you go on your trips. You do have a short breaks in between activities to rest, but at most we got around 2 hours to rest, which is not a lot when you are always on the go.

Lang
South Hadley, MA
Mount Holyoke College

Fantastic 4 Months in Nanzan

Overall

I improved my language abilities greatly during staying with host family and studying in Nanzan and passed N1 level in Japanese Language Proficiency Test. Field trips were great, and dinners provided were just beyond my expectation! The courses provided by Nanzan were satisfying that Japanese Traditional Art was offered, which I took Ikebana (The Flower Arrangement) and it was amazing! Language courses were pretty intensive but helpful if you truly want to improve your Japanese. Teachers were humorous,kind, and always love to help students when they have problems. IES staffs in Nagoya also helped me a lot. Host family was very friendly and I got a lot of care and love from them. Living with host family will be a good choice if you want to have more chances to practice spoken Japanese. Love 4 months with IES, Nanzan and Nagoya! Sincerely hope to stay for 1 year in Nagoya rather than 1 semester.

Andrea
Peoria, Illinois
Illinois Wesleyan University

If you're looking to improve your Japanese, this is the program for you!

Overall

Nanzan University is known for its great international program. They have a wonderful intensive language program that really challenges you to improve your language skills. The program is very structured and have some of the best staff leading it. The program will help you improve all aspects of your language skills from reading and writing to listening and speaking.

It would be great if the program could work with the university to offer students more opportunities to interact with the Japanese students and locals. One of the cons to doing this program in the spring is that the semester doesn't line up with the Japanese semester and so the Japanese students are on their break for most of the time. It would have been great to interact with the Japanese more.
Helen
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
University of Redlands

Bridges Built

Overall

One the greatest gains I think I received from studying at Nanzan was the lasting friendships of both local and fellow foreign students. The University's Center for Japanese Studies (CJS) hosts students from a wide variety of other countries, and there's no bond like the one forged from learning a common language, and the amazement that that language is a somewhat unexpected bridge. I would not only communicate to Japanese students in Japanese, but also to mainland European comrades who did not speak English very well. The multi-cultural exchange was as entertaining as it was illuminating, and I don't think I could have picked a better program for my needs. Apart from extensive improvement in my language skills, I gained greater insight into the daily life and culture of Japan, and the cultures of my fellow foreign students. I found it easier to interact with local residents the more my language skills improved, and my confidence improved greatly. I gained many friends from, not just Japan, but around the world, because of this experience, and I will never forget it.

I thought there could have been a little more clemency given when it came to health situations. The attendance policy is very strict, but oftentimes it is more risky to try and leave home to get a doctor's note than it would be to simply stay in bed and rest. As someone with a chronic illness, this applies all the more. Having a staff member on call to help with health situations, and can act as a mediator between doctors and students who are not quite as advanced as other at the hospital would have been helpful as well.
Leilah-Rose
Washington, DC
George Washington University

A Semester and Summer in Nagoya Japan

Overall

I spent the last 7 months studying abroad in Nagoya, Japan at Nanzan University through IES Abroad.
IES:
I chose to study abroad with IES mostly because my siblings had used IES to study abroad while they were in college. I did not really know that many other options for studying abroad, but after researching a bit more and looking at other programs, I stuck with my previous decision. The application process itself was a bit stressful, but I attribute that to Nanzan's strict application, and the whole process of applying for a visa. (Hint: You are probably going to want to budget many occasions of overnight shipping pieces of your application.) Despite the stress before leaving the country, IES does a great job of handling everything for you afterwards! I appreciated not having to plan for travel and trips, but also not having to deal with the academic paperwork (especially when compared to students not in a program). The local IES director and staff were also pretty accessible, and always happy to help you if you had any questions or needed assistance! I recommend IES simply based on the fact that they are a big help in an otherwise highly stressful time. They really work towards simplifying and streamlining your study abroad experience as much as possible, so you can focus on having fun and/or studying. I also really appreciated the trips that IES planned for us. We were able to see some really great places and have really good experiences, while not having to worry about planning it! The quality of hotel and travel was always top notch as well.
Nanzan University's Center for Japanese Studies:
I recommend for anyone studying abroad not just to look at Study abroad programs like IES, but to look carefully at the university they are attached to, as if you were picking out your first university all over again. While I am pleased with the level of education and intensive study I received at Nanzan University (Center for Japanese Studies), there were a few things I would have liked to know beforehand. First of all, the Center for Japanese Studies runs an intensive Japanese study program and it is just that. If you are not prepared for a heavy workload and speaking only Japanese in the classroom, then I would look elsewhere. If you are interested in developing your Japanese level significantly, then I have two recommendations. 1) Look into Nanzan's teaching style and curriculum (including textbooks) and compare it to your own University or your own study experience. While I believe that my own University's curriculum is quite good, I ended up placing in a lower level than I had anticipated, mostly because there were gaps between what my University views as important and what Nanzan University views as important at a certain level. It really wasn't a big problem and I still learned quite a lot, but you should be aware of it, especially if your home University is picky about what level you place into. 2) Do not do the summer session. If you are trying to make a big difference in your Japanese ability then the Year or Semester option is probably best. The summer session is a great 6 weeks of intensive learning, but it can be a lot for only 6 weeks, and is very fast paced.
Housing:
I had a really wonderful 7 months living in Nagoya! I spent the first five months living with my host family. I chose a homestay rather than the dorms, because I had heard from previous students that due to the Japanese academic schedule, there would be a large period of time where Japanese students would not be on campus. It is already such a short semester, and so I decided that living with a host family would allow me to use my Japanese on a regular basis. I highly recommend it! (Disclaimer: Everyone's experience with host families are different, it simply depends on you and the host family.) I owe a large portion of my Japanese language speaking ability development to my host parents and their willingness to talk with and help me. I spent June and July living in Nanzan University's International student (female) dorm (disclaimer: the male international dorm is set up a bit differently). The rooms are nice and set up in a suite style with a kitchen and common area, shared shower and two bathrooms, everyone has their own bedroom. Usually you will have at least one Japanese roommate. The rooms also come pre-furnished, but you may or may not have to pay for your own internet (this has changed between the spring and summer semester and may undergo more changes).
Nagoya:
I am before choosing a study abroad program or University, choosing the right city in Japan was important to me. I did not want to go to either Tokyo or Kyoto for fear of being stuck with a "tourist" image, rather than the "resident" image that I wanted. In addition, (as I learned from traveling) it is easier to get a lot more Japanese speaking real world application if you are not in a city where everyone will try to use English with you. Nagoya is the perfect halfway point between big city and just outside of the tourist range. There are quite a few foreigners that attend some of the universities here or come to work, but definitely not to the degree of Tokyo or Kyoto. Nagoya is also very residential compared to Tokyo or Kyoto, so while there are bustling areas to have fun, it actually fits a slower pace that I was kind of happy with. Realizing IES had a program in Nagoya is what really drew me in, and I am very happy with the results!

Ashley
Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara University

A Year In Nagoya (IES)

Overall

I participated in the IES Nagoya program for the 2014-2015 academic year. The program itself was wonderful. I was directly enrolled into the Center for Japanese Studies (CJS) program at Nanzan University. I met people from all over the world that shared a common interest in Japanese culture and language. I joined a dance circle and performed with other Japanese students at the Nanzan Festival. I was taught Japanese in Japanese and really got to see myself improve on a daily basis. The CJS staff were very helpful in aiding foreign students in anything academic and with housing concerns. During school hours, they were my go to for any problems and questions I had about anything. My professors were also really supportive and were always concerned about my well-being and how I was handling the workload. For academic support, I felt that I could rely on the CJS staff to help me when I needed it.

Instead of living in the Nanzan dorm, I chose to live with a host family. I lived in a small apartment outside of Nagoya with a host mom, dad and 2 year old sister. Living with a host family was one of the best decisions I made when I decided to study abroad with IES. Through my host family, I was able to gain a third support system. My host family helped me with learning Japanese, took care of me when I was sick, took me to places within and around Nagoya and made me the most delicious meals. Without my host family, I feel as if my first few months in Japan would have been more stressful than fun in regards to adjustment. I also had to commute 40 minutes to get to school every day, and although that may seem like a chore, the commute helped me gain confidence and comfort in using navigating around Nagoya.

Since Nagoya is situated right in the middle of Japan, it was the ideal place for traveling to other places to experience different aspects of Japanese culture. IES planned monthly trips, concerts and other culture related activities for me to participate in for cultural immersion and adjustment. The IES Nagoya staff did an amazing job at planning the trips/events. I got to learn about different topics and go to places that I probably would not have been able to go to by myself. I felt the IES Nagoya staff became more than just staff; they became friends. They really took care of me while I was in Nagoya and did everything that they could to have us enjoy living and studying in Japan. My host mom would always look at my travel itineraries and say that I was lucky to be a part of IES and other CJS students would be envious of everything IES provided for its students (commuting subsidies, lunches at delicious local restaurants, exclusive experiences such as meeting geisha and maiko in Kyoto). I am definitely grateful to IES for helping to make my study abroad experience so memorable.

Eve
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Haverford College

A few issues, but overall a great learning experience

Overall

I would suggest this program for anyone who has already taken Japanese classes and wants to go to Japan in order to improve their Japanese. Nagoya is the third largest city in Japan, but less international than Tokyo, and so there are fewer people who will try to speak English to you. The Japanese classes at Nanzan are also manageable, but intensive, and there’s a decent amount of homework. You’re more or less forced to use Japanese and to improve in Japanese. If you don’t speak a lot of Japanese and want to go to Japan because you like anime… this program probably isn’t for you.

Other than Japanese, I took Japanese Society, Traditional Japanese Literature, and Woodblock Printing. Japanese Society and Woodblock Printing were both fantastic (although not as intense as the Japanese classes). Both were done in a style that let you personalize your learning experience and read/make what you wanted to. Traditional Japanese Literature was pretty disappointing – the professor rambled a lot, and we didn’t get to discuss literature very much. I heard other students complaining that non-Japanese classes at Nanzan can be very hit or miss.

I stayed with a host family, which ended up being a pretty negative experience. The members of my host family fought constantly, and they didn’t seem to want to spend a lot of time with me. In retrospect, I really wish that I'd chosen to live in the dorm. Luckily, when I decided I couldn't take living with my host family any longer, I was able to move to the dorm.

I loved the friends I made in at Nanzan, and I got a lot of chances to explore Japan with them. We were able to explore Nagoya and the surrounding areas a lot during the weekend. A fun thing that we did often was to go to izakayas - informal bars where you can also eat lots of yummy Japanese pub food.

On top of traveling with friends, the IES field trips were really fun (and a part of the reason I chose this program). You get the opportunity to stay in traditional Japanese inns and eat traditional meals. It's really expensive, and an experience that I definitely wouldn't have had if I didn't study abroad with IES. That was probably my favorite thing about the IES programming.

I would want the non-Japanese classes improved, and I would want more contact with Japanese students at Nanzan University.
Keri
Honolulu, Hawaii
Macalester College

A fit for most

Overall

Nagoya is a city that offers amazing shopping, restaurants, and a modern Japanese experience. The highlights of my experiences were the people, program, and area. The IES staff on-site were warm and available people who eased the transition into Japan. While we engaged with the campus staff as well, the IES and Nanzan work well with each other to streamline both programs. The additional field trips coordinated by IES provided many spaces to form close bonds with the other students in IES. Most of my closest friends were part of IES with me and it was a fantastic time. The language classes at Nanzan were challenging and the focus of the curriculum. The elective courses left something to be desired, but as a study abroad course, it was not worse than expected. Overall was very pleased with the program and the area of my experience. Nagoya is a beautiful area that allows for immersion into the typical life of the Japanese.

The program at Nanzan University could be strengthened with more engaging elective courses. They were the weakest part of the program. As far as the IES portion of the programming, I was wholly satisfied.
Anh
Haverford College

Fantastic!

Overall

I had two programs to choose from for my study abroad semester in Japan: IES Tokyo or IES Nagoya. My Japanese teacher suggested the Nagoya program for a few reasons. First, since with the Nagoya program you are a student of Nanzan University, a Japanese university, you get more immersion and although you are still taking classes with foreigners, you can join university clubs and socialize with Japanese students. Secondly, Nagoya is less tourisity than Tokyo, which means not everyone speaks English and you are forced to use Japanese in your daily life. Thirdly, Nagoya is a major train / bullet train stop, and is situated between Kyoto and Tokyo. I prefer the old capital Kyoto to Tokyo, and so the location is perfect for me as I can visit Kyoto as often as I want, whereas it might take 4 times as long to get to Kyoto from Tokyo.

For my semester in Nanzan University I took Japanese (obviously), Japanese translation, Japanese Society, Tea Ceremony, and Woodblock Printing. All of the classes were extremely interesting, and the workload did not at all hinder my plans to travel every weekend. Japanese translation was fun because we got to work with a variety of materials such as short stories, manga, and song lyrics, while getting extra practice on what we learned in the other Japanese classes. For some classes, such as Tea Ceremony and Woodblock Printing, the teachers could not speak English very well, but they spoke Japanese very clearly and used simple words so that we could understand them. The teachers got us involved in seasonal Japanese events as they happen - we got to do flower arrangement in the Tea Ceremony class on Girls' Day, for example, and got to do a tea ceremony outside during cherry blossom season.

Our accommodation arrangements were made through Nanzan University. I am a vegetarian, and since there are not a lot of vegetarians in Japan I did not expect to get a host family which was my first option. However, Nanzan was able to match me with a host family! The host mother was very attentive to my needs, and asked me upon our first meeting what I could and could not eat in detail. She would always check with me when she was unsure of something, too. During a trip with my host mother to Shirakawa-go, we stayed at a traditional, family-run Japanese inn that my host mother stayed at way back when she was in high school! She taught me about the inn, and pointed me to good spots to visit or to get food that I otherwise would not have known about had I travelled alone. It was a great experience being on a host program, since you get to experience daily life as part of a Japanese family: you don't just read about what the Japanese have for breakfast, or what they do during certain festivals, and so on - living with a host family, these daily activities become a part of who you are.

I was able to explore Nagoya as well as travel outside of it every weekend. Transportation in Japan is very very expensive, but there are things you can do to minimize the costs, such as taking normal trains or buses instead of more the more costly Shinkansen (bullet train). Being on an IES Abroad program as well as a Nanzan University program, you get the best of both worlds: you get to go on on excursions organized by both programs. With IES we have been to Hiroshima, Nara, and Nagahama, and with Nanzan we have been to places inside Nagoya such as Nagoya Castle, or the Toyota Manufacturing Plant. On the IES program trips we were able to stay at traditional Japanese inns and have traditional Japanese set meals (kaiseki) - they are very costly and if I had travelled alone I probably would not be able to experience these things.

One thing that might count as a negative for Spring-semester students: in Japan, the new semester does not start until April, so you will not get to meet the local students for the first 4 months that you are here. However, there are still Japanese students in the dorms, or if you have a host family, you can talk with them! April is when all of the club activities start, too, and you can join them if you want to befriend Japanese students. I was in the Shorinji Kempo club, and even though my Japanese was not fluent the members there were extremely nice.

Jennifer
Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara University

An Amazing Experience in Japan

Overall

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is interested in studying abroad in Japan! While you do not need to be fluent in Japanese to be in this program, you will definitely get a lot more out of the experience if you have taken a couple years or more of Japanese before starting this program. Since many people in Nagoya do not speak very much English, you will definitely be practicing your conversational Japanese often. This can be challenging at times, but your Japanese will definitely improve! At Nanzan University, you will be required to take Japanese classes, and you can also choose from a number of elective classes. I definitely recommend trying at least one of the art classes if you can. If you ever need help with anything, the CJS and IES staff members are very friendly and always willing to help! The subway system is pretty good in Nagoya, so it is very easy and safe to get around the city to visit various sites and attractions. You can also visit other nearby cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. In addition to traveling on your own, IES also offers awesome weekend field trips which are already included in the program fee! On these trips, you will get to eat a lot of great food, stay in nice Japanese inns, and do a lot of exciting activities that you probably wouldn't have the opportunity to do on your own. The field trips were definitely one of the best parts of the experience! Both the CJS and IES also offer a number of day trips to activities such as taiko/ musical/ kabuki performances and sites such as the Nagoya Castle or Shizuoka. You will definitely have a great time on this program!

I would want more Japanese to be spoken in the dorm that I stayed in.
deraumaigirl
Middletown, Connecticut
Wesleyan University

Nagoya Redefined!

Overall

The City: Nagoya is not a tourist stop for people visiting Japan, it is one of the industrial centers and therefore there are a lot more opportunities to speak/practice Japanese Language. However, the city does contain numerous art/design, history, and science museums, parks,botanical gardens, an aquarium, zoo, in addition a variety of restaurants, shopping districts, clubs, and bars. Major sites include Atsuta Shrine and Osu Kannon Temple, the Nagoya TV Tower and Sky Hall.
The School: Nanzan University is in the hills right outside the city near Yagoto. The international students building is brand new, and the staff is friendly and helpful (they will all know your name by the beginning of the semester.) Classes focus on the arts and social sciences, with the most emphasis on Japanese language classes for three hours every morning. Homestays are chosen through specific information
The Program: The IES program offers countless benefits including guided all-inclusive travel to countless places outside of Nagoya like Nara, Takayama, Kanayama etc. in addition to concerts, musicals, and other events in the city.

IES Abroad offers 120+ programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to go abroad—especially in a fun, safe, and superior academic and cultural environment.

From our headquarters in Chicago to our 35 locations and the staff on-site, we all work toward the common goal of providing mind-bending, life-changing, opinion-altering study abroad opportunities.

We’re not ashamed to admit we’re a little bit obsessed with study abroad.