IES Abroad Nagoya Direct Enrollment – Nanzan University

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, IES Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Immerse yourself in Japanese culture through full-time enrollment at the Center for Japanese Studies (CJS) at Nanzan University. As a distinguished private university, Nanzan University offers excellent learning opportunities. In addition to a required intensive Japanese language class, you will choose from a range of CJS English-taught course offerings in Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences, and enjoy hands-on instruction in Japanese arts such as ikebana, shodo, hanga, and sumie. Students with very advanced language skills are encouraged to enroll in seminars taught in Japanese with local students.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

To an extent, yes. The minimum requirement is that the student be able to read and write all hiragana and katakana characters. That is the requirement to place into the 300 (lowest level) New Intensive Japanese course. All international students enrolled in Nanzan University's Center for Japanese Studies are required to take the New Intensive Japanese classes and will take a placement test upon...

Jessalin

My Japanese improved greatly, and I made friends!

I went abroad to improve my Japanese, and I was not disappointed. The Japanese program is intense and rewarding; it took a lot of work, but I learned a lot! I loved being able to learn alongside other passionate students. The professor's were caring and helpful, which made it easier during difficult classes. One of the ways IES was helpful was the practical advice about the area, and the time spent with other international students. I especially liked having the orientation before the classes started so I had adjustment time. Also, the trips they coordinated were really fun and helped me learn how to travel safely so that later I was able to do my own trips as well.
The only thing I found a bit frustrating was it was nearly impossible to participate in clubs at the university. But overall, the program was amazing.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Items I still don't know the names of. IES gave me the opportunity to try a lot of traditional Japanese food, and I learned that a lot of Japanese food has really different textures.
Jacob

One of the best Decision's I have ever made

I studied abroad with IES Abroad Nagoya in the Spring of 2019.

The IES abroad program at Nagoya is amazing. the staff for both the program and the university are very kind, and very helpful. they understand all of the struggles you might go through while studying abroad. Nazan also has counselors for international students.

Nagoya is a small but very nice city. In the areas where you will live, host family or dorm, there are very little foreigners so you don't have to worry about being treated like you know very little to no Japanese. it's also a very convenient city to make trips from. There are a lot subways, trains, and bus lines in the area to go almost anywhere of interest. And you can easily take the bullet train along the eastern coast which goes all the up to Hakodate and all the way down to Kagoshima. The airport is also a major one so you can easily take a domestic flight to a lot of cities.

The trips you are broad on are amazing as well and super generous. You get to go to some really cool locations, stay at very nice hotels and Ryokans (Japanese inn), and eat very good food.

The convenience and cheapness of the public transport system in Japan really encourages you to explore. I've made many solo trips. If your Japanese level is good enough, you can go almost anywhere.

Overall, this program completely change me. I was able to grow a lot as a person, a student, and a professional. My Japanese ability also skyrocketed.

I highly recommend this program for anyone who has the chance.

Sarah

Spring Semester in Nagoya!

Living in Nagoya was an absolutely amazing experience I will never forget. Living in Japan and with a host family, I was able to use my Japanese all the time and because of that, my language skills greatly improved. Traveling and seeing Japan was one of the highlights of my experience. Every city I visited in Japan was not only beautiful, but also, had something unique to offer. The people I met in my daily interactions and at my university were extremely kind and helpful.

Charles

A Truly Immersive Experience

The IES experience was truly beyond what I expected from studying abroad. While we were given great cultural classes in addition to our regular classes, they assured that students were truly immersed in exploration, creating international friendships, and having a working understanding of the language and social aspects. The trips included many cultural experiences that even normal Japanese people do not get to do (i.e. very nice tea houses!).
Even when I was going on side trips with friends, Nagoya's location is perfectly located so that you can easily get to visit tourist favorites, such as Tokyo and Osaka, with ease. It also is a big city with many attractions within itself, but you get the feeling of it being legitimately Japan. Especially among my friends who were really searching for actually learning the culture and improving their language skills, Nagoya's Nanzan University the best program fit.
If you're still deciding which program to choose, you won't regret choosing IES Nagoya!

Many students weren't taught well of the social environment and nuances, so it could create for an awkward transition when meeting people, making friends, or even just socializing in general.
Emily

Incredible Semester in Nagoya!

I really couldn't have imagined my experience without going abroad with IES! IES provided so much support and opportunities for all of us during the semester. My friends who also studied abroad at Nanzan (but not with IES) were always really jealous of all of the incredible performances we saw and field trips we went on as a part of IES! Furthermore, the upper levels at Nanzan for Japanese studies are incredible, I learned so much and my Japanese improved dramatically. Would DEFINITELY recommend this program, and I do!

Choosing this program is such an incredible investment in your life and future! :)

Jordain

Life in Nagoya

I can easily say that the 5 months I spent in Nagoya were the best of my life. I wish I could have stayed for the full 10 months, and I was incredibly sad to return to the states. The intensive courses were challenging but very rewarding; by the end of the program I had made noticeable leaps in my language abilities. While I enjoyed going out on my own cultural excursions, the trips arranged by IES were incredibly enjoyable. I was able to visit places that I never would have on my own, and got to interact with locals during origami and pottery workshops.

The biggest downside I faced was my living situation. I was set up in an international dorm, which was conveniently close to Nanzan's campus. I was lucky in this sense; everyone else in IES had a 30+ minute commute and had to pay for their subway passes. However, my dorm had incredibly strict rules, and was quite different from the American dorms I've lived in. The dorm had 24 hour surveillance, with a security guard on the premises at all times. Any guests, even from the same program, were explicitly forbidden. Due to these rules, I spent very little time in my dorm.

n/a
Kristie

Uhm..Best Experience Ever?

GO TO JAPAN! It's an amazing country filled with its own exquisite charms and surprises. Studying abroad in Japan through IES Abroad is the best decision I've ever made. Throughout the whole journey, from applying to being on the program, I've been supported and cared for by my advisors off-site and on-site. I met amazing people, some of whom became my close friends and mentors, and improved my Japanese along the way. Nanzan University was a perfect choice for me as their rigorous Japanese language program pushed me to speak Japanese wherever I go and their cultural activities always promoted more interaction with Japanese locals. IES Abroad also did a great job with arranging diverse and interesting cultural excursions, through which I received much more than I ever expected. Learning about history of how Japan was formed, making soba noodles from scratch, trying out pottery and calligraphy, walking through the Atomic Bomb museum in Hiroshima, eating fresh oysters and other delicacies of each visited city, befriending friends from Australia, Korea, Japan, China, Malaysia...I can't even count those endless times I've made a great memory. Everybody should hop on this train with IES Abroad Nagoya because you won't regret it! Be prepared to eat the weird stuff, use a language 24/7 that is not your own and just immerse yourself in the culture and the people. Good Luck!

Non-Japanese tend to stick together so I didn't see much interaction between Japanese students and ourselves. Although there were a lot of cultural meets and greets and events that foster than crosscultural communication, they were very short. Half of the time, I didn't get to see those new Japanese friends I made ever again after the event. If they looked like more ongoing weekly activities, it would be easier to become closer to them and actually stay as friends, instead of acquaintances.
Brianna

Wonderful City, Laid Back Academics

I studied abroad in Nagoya for a spring semester through IES Abroad. In short, I would definitely recommend the program to anyone considering study abroad in Japan.

The IES orientation in Inuyama was a great way to brush up on the language and be eased into the different culture in an informative and supportive environment that also allowed me to meet people and make friends before being sent off to Nanzan proper. The two IES representatives were incredibly helpful and genuinely seemed to care about the well-being of each individual in the program. Even if you don't go to Japan, I would recommend working with IES since they provide so much support.

The Center for Japanese Studies at Nanzan was staffed by universally nice and helpful people. The entrance process to determine what level of Japanese class you should be in is very extensive, so you'll most likely be placed in the best level for you. The language instructors were also very nice and supportive, and I thought the packets made for the classes were very helpful (oftentimes better than the textbook). I wish that the other academic courses would be given the same level of consideration as the language classes (the other ones are hit-and-miss as far as quality), but this ultimately is a language-learning program. The Japanese methods of teaching are something to get used to if you come from a Western country, and it can sometimes be frustrating. I have my complaints about it, but they're very subjective complaints, and it's more of a cultural difference than something being overtly negative. For those of you looking for a low-stress school year, though, Japanese universities are famously laid back, and the CJS program is no exception. Around mid-terms or finals you may scramble around to remember your kanji, but, for the most part, you have the leeway to put classes on the back-burner and just enjoy being in the country.

I really love the city of Nagoya. I'm not a city-kid. I would not have survived in Tokyo (good place to visit once, though). If you're someone looking for a huge, bustling city, Nagoya may be a bit too quiet for you. For me, though, it was the perfect size. Sakae and Kanayama have the night life you want. Fushimi has a very interesting science museum even if you can't read the signs. There's a zoo; there's the Boston Museum of Art (free for students, by the way); there's an aquarium; there's a huge park with My Neighbor Totoro references that is constantly holding festivals; there are shopping centers everywhere for any need you could possibly have. You can get manga extremely cheap. There are nooks and crannies with very interesting bars and restaurants and shops. And you still have to take the subway everywhere, so you still feel like you're in a city. I had about a 40 minute commute by subway from my homestay to Nanzan, which was typical from what I saw. You get used to it, though. It's also extremely safe, or I at least felt extremely safe. Walking home late at night from the subway station wasn't in any way unpleasant. I had to go to a clinic twice while abroad -- once for getting sick and the second time after twisting my ankle -- and, even if they don't speak English and you haven't memorized your "trip to the hospital" Japanese vocabulary, I found that the doctors really try their best to help you to the best of their capacity, so don't be afraid of getting medical help if you think you need it either.

I am an introvert, so making friends or having a vibrant nightlife were not things that I've found easy doing in the past. But it was surprisingly easy to build a social circle and have things to do on Friday and Saturday nights while I was in Nagoya. My host family was wonderful -- home cooked family dinner every night, trips to museums and zoos, etc. As I said above, the IES orientation was a great way to establish a friend group in a foreign country full of people you've never met.
As a note, Japanese social lives tend to involve bars, alcohol, and lots of karaoke. You will go out for karaoke more in one month in Japan than you've ever thought possible. Drinking isn't a necessary thing, but be warned that it's going to happen around you if you're out late enough. I also taught English (it's incredibly easy to become a tutor if you want to) in my free time, which was a wonderfully rewarding experience. My going away party with my students was one of the happiest moments that I had abroad.

Overall, though there were negative points, as there are with anything, I still love the city and I love the friends I made there. If you have reservations about being a gaijin in such an ethnically homogeneous country: Yes, you do tend to stick out like a sore thumb if you're not on campus with the other study abroad students, sometimes people stare, but I didn't experience anything hostile or mean-spirited for the entire time I was there, and I'm a black woman. So no worries. I definitely want to return to Japan soon.

The academics at CJS are shaky in some areas, and it feels like the language courses teach to a test as opposed to teaching for the sake of gaining a better grasp on the language. I became better a conversation and the like outside of class, not in it.