ISA Study Abroad in Dunedin, New Zealand

ISA Study Abroad in Dunedin, New Zealand

Established in 1869 as New Zealand's first university, the University of Otago now has an international reputation for teaching and research excellence. With one out of every six people in Dunedin being a student, the city has a bustling social life rivaled by very few places in all of Oceania. Enjoy a fantastic foodie scene, amazing sports and gorgeous scenery at every turn.

Having an emphasis on environmental studies, including zoology, ecology, and marine science to name a few, The University of Otago is a great destination to study while having a rich outdoor experience. The university is also highly ranked for research, social sciences, and liberal arts. Check out ISA's extensive website for all the information on this exciting opportunity!

In 2014, GlobaLinks Learning Abroad merged with International Studies Abroad (ISA), therefore, the GlobaLinks program reviews may not accurately reflect the new program structure, which has been greatly improved through the integration with ISA.
Oceania » New Zealand » Dunedin
Oceanography
Pacific Studies
Social Sciences
Sociology
Housing is an additional cost to the Program Cost listed on the ISA website.
Dunedin

Alicia
Lawrence, Kansas

Amazing Experience

Studying at Otago University and experiencing New Zealand through my ISA program has been the most incredible experience I have had to this date! I made life long friends, got to partake in amazing excursions, and had a support group unlike any other! I would suggest this program time and time again to anyone considering studying abroad in New Zealand! Go enjoy the kind kiwi culture, the beautiful scenery, and the millions of other things New Zealand has to offer!

Will
Knoxville, Tennessee
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

NEW ZEALAND

Where to start... This trip was incredible. I love the outdoors and New Zealand has so much to offer. I traveled all over the country (literally from the the most southern point, to darn near close to the most northern). The entire country is gorgeous. Making trips are highly encouraged; go see the country for what it really is. Great areas to go are the Tongariro Crossing, Mount Cooke, and Fjordlands. ISA does an amazing job making the transition into a country easy as well as constantly being there for support, and even taking the group on excursions. Even if you dont decide to go to New Zealand, go somewhere. The opportunity is there, take it.

Honestly, nothing. I would've stayed longer if I could.

Whitney
Rome, GA
Berry College

A "Sweet As" Semester in New Zealand

I wanted to study abroad in New Zealand because I wanted an adventure, and my experience went above and beyond my expectations. I always felt safe when I was in NZ, but I was also able to step out of my comfort zone and experience new things at the same time. Living in the Uni Flats gave me the chance to live with both kiwis and other international students. I was also able to learn about the Maori culture through my ISA program as well as through my courses at the university. My ISA program leaders, Emily and Peren, were wonderful, and they played a big part in supporting us and also planned some "sweet as" excursions. Studying abroad in New Zealand through ISA is definitely something that I would recommend!

N.Fabrizio
New York, NY
Pace University

This program is Sweet As

Every part of this program- GlobaLinks, University of Otago- is fantastic! From the moment I was accepted into the program, the staff at GlobaLinks was so helpful it was astounding. My program manager Jan was so great, and having staff in country was such an excellent feature as well. Even if it's just meeting them at a local coffee shop for a free drink and to catch up, this really added to my experience.

The University of Otago is a highly rated school, and it is very accommodating to it's international students. I was able to take classes relating to my major, and had teachers that helped me adjust to the academic difference. The course work is not too demanding, and there's rarely homework, so it's easy to travel a lot during the semester. There are great, modern facilities at the school including an awesome library and a newly constructed gym. My only qualm- there is no central heating in the international housing. Stock up on blankets when you get there!

It's all helped by it's setting.- NEW ZEALAND. I cannot say enough about the beauty of this country and the kindness of it's people- it has forever imprinted on my heart and I recommend a visit there to everyone I meet. Dunedin, where the university is located is a great college town with all the things a student needs, and it's location makes it easy to get to a lot of great south island attractions.

I recommend this program and university to everyone I meet. If you have the chance....do this program. It will change your life.

The only thing I would possibly change is the length. I would have stayed longer! (And it was totally possible to stay there with GlobaLinks, but I could not due to my home university)

elihebecyp
Orange, CA
Chapman University

Best Choice Ever

Easily the best school to attend in New Zealand. It is a great college environment:
1) Housing is right next to campus
2) Bars, pubs, malls, parks, clubs, grocery stores, gardens, museums, train station, farmers markets, the gym, rugby matches, buses, etc. are all a short walk away located in beautiful Dunedin.
3) There is so much nature in this little college city. I'd be on a jog through town and end up running by the coast then through the botanical gardens then through a foresty trail.
4) Hyde Street Keg Party... look it up
5) The professors are great and very understanding to international students.
6) Not very much homework during the semester, so you have heaps of time to travel elsewhere.

Dunedin is also an amazing place to travel from because it is located near so many weekend destinations. You can go camping in the Catlins, go skiing in Queenstown, take a bus up to Christchurch etc.
Last but not least, the people in New Zealand are great. SO much hospitality, trust, and friendly vibes.

The only thing I would have changed was the duration I stayed, one semester went by way too quickly! I definitely recommend considering doing a whole year there or possibly staying and traveling for a bit after.

elisaeryn
St. Petersburg, FL
Eckerd College

Best Decision I ever Made

This was seriously one of the greatest experiences in my almost 21 years of life. I made some of the greatest friends I have ever met, went some of the best places, and saw some of the most beautiful sights ever. The experience through Global Links was absolutely phenomenal and I am so happy I chose to go on their program. The first week of the entire trip with GL may have been my favorite week of the entire 5 months I spent in New Zealand. It helped me find best friends and made me comfortable being in a new place. the GL staff was absolutely amazing. Paul, Tyme, and Craig made the experience so fun and so memorable. This will not be something I forget ever, or will ever take back for anything in the world. Everyone should try Global Links, and everyone should go to New Zealand!

I literally have been sitting here for ten minutes and can't think of anything I would change specifically about Global Links. Maybe mid-semester make a camping weekend that is planned for all the schools to come together again for a weekend!

Kelsey
I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
University of Minnesota

New Zealand Has My Heart!

There are no words to express how much I fell in love with New Zealand as a country including it's people, food and most importantly, its never ending adventures!

The first week in New Zealand consisted of participating the AustraLearn Culture week where we were at a rented out hotel with just us students and got introduced to many different parts of the Kiwi and Maori lifestyle in New Zealand. This week was a great start to my time in NZ because they gave us the opportunity to experience many different things (caving, white water rafting, Zorbing etc.) and also participate in a volunteer day where we were able to give back to the community. Not only did I get to know the NZ culture a bit better, I also made some really good friends, who are still my best friends even after we're all back home! It was a great bonding time for all of us because we were all in the same position after leaving home, family, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends so we could all relate and use that bond to continue a friendship once we got to Dunedin.

Once in Dunedin, it was never-ending adventures. There were so many things to do and see and the on campus centers really helped us get involved in different excursions or trips. Some of the things I got to do were: hitchhike around the peninsula, go on a skiing trip to Queenstown, camping in the Catlins, go sea kayaking, skydive in Moteuka, visit Mount Taranaki, see the capital of NZ (Wellington) and many many other things.

In between all of the adventures, we did actually have to attend class which for me, coming from University of Minnesota, the classes were not that much different. I had class sizes ranging from 30 to about 400 students. I did study hard while in NZ but I also made sure that I wasn't missing too many adventures for homework! I learned a good balance between the two.

Kiwis (New Zealand natives) are some of the nicest and funniest people you'll ever meet in your life. They are so welcoming to different cultures and backgrounds so it was never hard to make friends. Their fun-loving, laid-back attitude really helped for us international students to fit in and feel safe when around them. Some of my good friends that came out of my time in NZ are kiwis and I think I'll be friends with them for a very long time!

Based on all of these things and many other small details of my time abroad, I would 10000000% recommend studying at University of Otago in New Zealand. It was the best 7 months of my life and I plan on going back and hopefully spending a majority of my life there! You would never regret spending a second in New Zealand, I can promise you that!

constaval518
Medway, MA
Mitiyana

Great program

Great university. Easy to access many different areas on the south island. Friendly people. Most people only take 3 classes, but I took 4. The workload, especially mine with no classes on Friday's, allows weekend trips and being able to take part in many different campus activities. The mentor program helps with finding someone that knows the area. The hardest part was being homesick. But it's worth it. Definitely recommend it!

dblumer
Denver, CO
Bethany Lutheran College

Scarfie As

Waking up to the sun shining on my face, yet another day at the southern-most university in the world began. Walking less than a block we arrived into the central campus area, teaming with hundreds of "scarfies," or students at the University of Otago in Dunedin, NZ. Less than 20 minutes away was unreal coastline, prestine beaches lined with white cliffs, and a tropical jungle filled with glow worms and waterfalls. The campus was conveniently centrally located with most major lecture halls within 5 minutes of our flat. Classes were challenging, but I like a good challenge. A few hours away was the adventure capital of the world, bungy jumping one weekend, skydiving a few later. The South Island of New Zealand is compossed of the most diverse in the world, and the most beautiful. Milford Sound for example; snow capped peaks jutting 6 thousand feet in the air directly out of the ocean, with rainforrest at the bottom and dolphines swimming alongside the boat. Australearn was amazing in support throughout the semester, and had a great orientation week exploring the North Island. I literally had no difficulties or complaints about that semester, the greatest time of my life.

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,