Massey University Study Abroad Programs

Manawatu Gorge
Representing Washington State University on the Eastern Walkway in Wellington.
Massey students have tons of support staff to choose from!
Tasman Sea Sunset
Abroad program mate and I at a wine tasting tour that our providers took us to!
New Zealand is the perfect destination for outdoors enthusiasts!
New Plymouth
Sunrise from Mount Victoria in Wellington

Massey University offers a wide range of study options at three major campuses in Auckland, Palmerston North and Wellington. The University is committed to providing a warm and welcoming environment in which international students are encouraged to excel academically. The degrees and qualifications offered are relevant, reflect current research and meet the needs of the International Student community.

Massey is characterized by the applied nature of many of its teaching and research programs and by its specific expertise in the fields of Agribusiness, Design, Biological Sciences, Business, Creative Arts, Social Sciences, and Sport and Exercise Science. Check out our website to learn more about Massey University study abroad programs.

Massey University
Massey University Scholarships & Financial Aid

Massey University is committed to providing financial aid and scholarships to those in need. Every year we provide $500,000 in financial aid directly to international students studying abroad.

$5,000 - $20,000

Hannah
No, I don't recommend this program

Massey University Study Abroad

Studying at this school was nothing like how I expected. I should have done more research before going to a school like this. It was very small, with few helpful support staff, and absolutely nothing to do in a 45 minute radius. It also had classes that were extremely underwhelming in respect to how challenging they were. I was only in class 6 hours a week, and became very bored very quickly with the great lack of things to do in Palmy. They also allowed 2 weeks for fall break, and 3 weeks for finals, which seemed like a waste of time to me personally. I wish I had chosen to study in Europe, or at least a university with more things to do than just to leave campus and travel elsewhere. There is also very little history and culture in Palmy, at least to someone coming from a hometown established in the 1630s. This university would appeal to people who enjoy a small-town scene, drinking and hiking; none of which I am fond of.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely try harder to try new things and create my own fun.
Response from Massey University

Kia ora Hannah,

Thank you very much for your honest review and we are sorry that you did not quite enjoy your stay with us here in Palmerston North.

We are very small compared to US universities/colleges as you can tell from the population differences but, we believe, this size creates the closeness within the student and university community. We are surprised that you only found a few helpful staff members as we’re normally known for our friendly support, we regret that we missed the mark. I also see that the difference in academic systems did not meet your expectations. The academic structure of NZ universities caters towards growing the independence of each student. If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to get in touch with us via the contact details on our website.

Norbert

The end of the world/New Zealand

Hey guys I'm Norbert. I spent one exchange year at Massey University in 2018/19. One of my best year of my life. The university was very good and kind I felt they were welcoming me and they are as happy as me to host me for one year. The staff was professional and helpful, every classes were good and interesting. During lab works they taught us new useful informations. I studied marine ecology as part of my degree and it was bloody good. If you wanna learn about whales and dolphins this is the place to go. Marine ecology is also very good and modules such as quantitative marine ecology helps you avoid flipping burgers and do all the cool sh*t that marine biology can offer you. Overall uni life is really good, night life not so. There is a bar/club on campus but come on I'm from Eastern Europe that's party not what New Zealand has haha. On the other hand outdoor adventures are absolutely amazing. You can literally do anything here. Catching huge monster fish from Auckland harbour or climbing active volcanos in Tongariro National Park, New Zealand can offer you anything. With this exchange year and the 3 months long summer break you have plenty of time to explore and enjoy NZ. The university is very close to east coast and about an hour from west coast with world famous surf. I learned surfing there and loved every second of it. If you thinking to take an exchange somewhere consider Massey because its amazing
Thanks for reading
Follow me on instagram for more amazing adventures
🤟 @lifeof_norbi

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
People are very very kind. They will help you instantly and won't let you down. It is easy to make new friends if you are not a dickhead :D
Cheyenne

Massey Exchange - Semester Two 2017

To study abroad in New Zealand was something I had never considered be it that it’s on the complete other side of the world from home. However, it turned out to be the best unplanned decision of my life. New Zealand is the country that I grew to fall in love with. It felt more like home than home itself. I felt so welcomed and accepted into the New Zealand community. To future participants my advice would be to just step out of your comfort zone and grab the invaluable experience of a lifetime. Enjoy the beautiful wonders New Zealand has to offer whilst gaining a top class educational experience at Massey. The teaching staff have a genuine desire to help students thrive and reach to the upmost limits of each individual student’s ability. I had never sought to travel and explore the world before this program, but I now certainly do have the travel bug bad... Infact, I am writing this review whilst on the plane to South East Asia. I'm humbled to have been fortunate enough to experience all that I did, and I encourage all future participants to take the opportunity, get on the plane and go!

N/A
Tim

Massey Exchange Semester

New Zealand is an awesome place to be!
People may rag on Palmerston North alot, and I'll admit its not a place you'd have any reason to visit, but it's actually a wonderful place to live! There is far more programming available for international students here to get out and explore the country than there is at Massey's Auckland/Albany Campus as well. And because of its location, Palmy is within easy access of both Wellington and the mountains.
Speaking of which, exploring the country, especially the South Island, simply MUST be done while you are here. If you're not the outdoorsy type, though, this might not be the country for you. Outdoors activities whether its tramping/hiking, skiing, mountain biking, or more niche like jetboating, bungee jumping, skidiving, whitewater rafting, heli-hiking, etc. are HUGE here. Be forewarned though, New Zealand is EXPENSIVE, so SAVE UP before coming here, as in, several thousand dollars more than you think you'll need. Also, Auckland and Queenstown are both overrated - I'm just sayin.

As for Massey itself, its OK. I was here on a bilateral exchange program so I only pay my home university's tuition to be here which is nice, but some more programming for internationals, and especially exchange/study abroad students would be appreciated.
For accommodation though, I cannot recommend the homestay program here highly enough. You basically get all the comforts of home, including home cooked meals and included utilities, for a rate which is quite reasonable compared to the cost of dorms/halls.

As I said before, more programming for international and exchange students. Also more support tailored for the exchange cohort and attempts to build community within it would be nice. There is a separate exchange support office to the International Student Support centre, but its not easy to find, so functionally you end up running all your questions through the ISS office.
Massey is also still working alot of bugs out of its new student portal software. This made signing up for courses annoying and had me getting overdue fee notices when I was fully paid up.
Caroline

A Californian Kiwi

I can't even believe this experience is ending. It has been among the most transformative times in my life. What started out as a trip to study for six months in another country has turned into lifelong relationships spanning the globe, unparalleled research experience, and educational opportunities impossible to find elsewhere. Massey allowed me to connect and work with professors. In my free time, I worked with a particular professor, and we're now working to write up or even publish our research on acoustics in freshwater streams. This relationship from a single study abroad has become a connection that will extend into my scientific career. Classes enabled me to learn about New Zealand's natural and human history from within, spotting birds along the coast with professors as I learned to recognize species by sight and call, visiting the National Museum to learn about New Zealand's role in World War II and ANZAC, and studying early European settlers in the enormous New Zealand section of Massey's library before visiting the Settler's Museum on the South Island to see the settler's artifacts in person (during semester break). Moving beyond academics, living in Palmerston North provided the opportunity to experience New Zealand as a local, making friends with families from town, shopping at the weekly farmers market, going to PAK'nSAVE with your international and local flatmates, and biking along the Manawatu River. My months in New Zealand were spent exploring, learning, and eating feijoas. I wouldn't have it any other way.

perhaps have a list of classes that are recommended (for electives), or a forum with current students, so that students can read or ask questions about potential courses and don't accidentally sign up for a course that doesn't fit within their interests or expectations.
Sanne

The other side of the globe

New Zealand is on the other side of the globe, compared to the Netherlands. Many differences exist between the countries. The things I like most about NZ is the beautiful nature and the people. While travelling, I saw stunning nature of which I didn't even think it existed. It's like on those pictures of which you think they are edited with Photoshop, but it does exist... the Netherlands is quite boring compared to New Zealand, it is totally flat (yeah it's true) and trees are half the size or less. Furthermore, people in the Netherlands are always in a hurry. During my exchange I met many kiwi's who were eager to show me nice places or give information about it. While travelling I enjoyed being outside, hitchhiking, camping and tramping. I've had a great half year on the other side of the globe!

Claire

Massey University (Auckland) Study Abroad

I took up the opportunity to travel and study at Massey as part of my degree I am completing in the UK, and I am so glad I did. Massey provides its students with the best teaching staff and facilities to match, the education and learning I gained cannot be faulted. I chose to live on campus and this is a great opportunity to make friends, the accommodation is also basically brand new so was a real treat. Make sure you chose your floor and hall wisely though as it can get noisy! Living on campus did come with some downfalls though, as there is many rules that apply (with reason), this was a slight shock coming from a rowdy agricultural university, need I say more.
New Zealand is a beautiful country and I totally recommend this program to anyone looking to travel this country alongside study.

Mariëlle

Best decision of my life

While at Massey, I met so many amazing people. I wasn’t sure at first whether I wanted to go, but going was the best decision I ever made! I got to explore this beautiful country, also with the University Alpine Club (MUAC). I really learnt to be independent, being in a country so far away from everything you know. After my exchange, I even traveled alone for some time. I am so much more confident now, and I have this program to thank for that.

Libby

Massey (At Wellington) is a great place for younger students!

I loved my experience abroad at Massey, the environment was fun and the classes were mostly insightful. My only advice to future study abroad students considering the same path, would be to study abroad early in your college career! I found that being an older student in the final year of my study didn't quite fit in to Massey (At Wellington)'s structure and social environment. The classes were good, but workload and learning topics were not as I expected. My living situation with Massey Accommodation was heaps of fun but I would've liked to live in a more stable place with older students.

Make sure study abroad students are well informed of the classes they are committing to. Suggest other living options if they are older than 19.
Andrew

Massey Student Excange

I have come to the Massey Manawatu Campus to do a student exchange from the UK. My time in NZ so far has been incredible!
It's been great studying here as I get to see my degree from a different angle - something I wouldn't have been able to do if I hadn't studied abroad. This has opened up my mind to an even wider job market which I could delve into.
The staff are also really supportive and help you fit in full time study commitments around full time travel adventures! There's so much to see in New Zealand and Palmerston North is a great base to which to see it all from.

Kimberly

A Semester At Massey

Studying abroad at Massey was a decision I will cherish for the rest of my life. Everybody on this campus and in the surrounding community is so kind and genuine. This is perhaps one of the most rewards parts to me. It is a safe, medium-sized town that is perfect for uni. The housing here is good, but the heating is different in every residence hall. And personally, I chose a self-catered hall so that I could cook for myself, and keep to the type of diet I wanted.

As a communications major my classes are based on discussion more than assignments. With small class sizes, this means we get to know each other very quickly--perfect for a newcomer. It is in these discussions I have made many new Kiwi friends, and had too many hilarious conversations erupting out of the differences between our cultures.

Personally, coming to Massey meant the opportunity to create new friendships, that I would meet people I would have otherwise never crossed paths with. I have not been disappointed. From my advisor, to my professors, peers, mentors, coworkers, clubs, and friends, I have been surrounded by phenomenal new individuals. I have created life long friendships in a matter of months.

I have also had the chance to visit Wellington, New Plymouth, Taranaki, and Rotorua on weekend trips, as well as a 2 week long road trip up to Cape Reinga, the Bay of Islands, Coromandel, and Tauranga. I went on this two week trip in a camper van with people I had only known for 6 weeks, and now they are some of my closest friends! I plan to spend the rest of my travels in the South Island, seeing Able Tasman, Mt. Cook, Christchurch, Queenstown, and even flying over to Australia! New Zealand is such a beautiful, safe country, and if you plan it right, you should be able to see it all during your stay.

I recommend a higher involvement of domestic students during no only orientation, but the first few weeks of the semester. By creating some sort of international club that could welcome us, we would have an easier time befriending domestic students. On of the orientation activities, quiz night, was run by a group of Kiwi students who promised they'd see us around campus and be willing to help us with any adjustments, but I never saw them again.
Read my full story
Allen

Massey University Experience

Massey University definitely has so much to offer! They have an exceptional Communications program with classes that are all transferable back to my home university! With that said, I've also taken the amazing opportunity to complete a Communications internship for credit during my time abroad as well! Massey has plenty of fun social clubs for everyone, and everyone around campus has been really friendly! All of my class sizes are fairly small, ranging from 8-25 students in my classes, which creates very close relationships with your peers and professors! This is my very first time studying abroad, and so far, I've gotten the chance to squeeze in trips to Auckland, New Plymouth, Napier, Queenstown, and Sydney! If you don't have a car, no worries! Intercity Bus, and The Naked Bus are your best methods of traveling for cheap prices! New Zealand has a ton of beautiful scenery, and it's an amazing opportunity to immerse yourself into learning more about the Maori culture as well! Massey is a very big international school, so you'll definitely be meeting students from all around the world! If you study abroad or take part in a student exchange at Massey, you won't regret it! Best of luck to everyone!

For the international orientation, I would recommend instead of doing the sheep shearing performance, I would recommend performing a Maori ritual for all the new incoming students. This would just be a lot more cultural. It was also be really nice to provide the new students with a taste of traditional Maori food as well.
Read my full story

Alumni Interviews

About Massey University

Massey University is an exciting and progressive New Zealand university. We offer internationally recognized research-led qualifications that are hugely relevant in today’s world. Join us, and become part of the new New Zealand. Massey is...