Massey University Study Abroad Programs

Cube-mates at Oriental Bay.
Representing Washington State University on the Eastern Walkway in Wellington.
Abroad program mate and I at a wine tasting tour that our providers took us to!
Kayaking in the Bay of Islands
Sunrise from Mount Victoria in Wellington
Rotorua Kaituna River Rafting. This is the largest commercially rafted waterfall in the Southern Hemisphere!
Manawatu Gorge
Tasman Sea Sunset

Massey University offers a wide range of study options at three major campuses in Auckland, Palmerston North and Wellington. The University is committed to providing a warm and welcoming environment in which international students are encouraged to excel academically. The degrees and qualifications offered are relevant, reflect current research and meet the needs of the International Student community.

Massey is characterized by the applied nature of many of its teaching and research programs and by its specific expertise in the fields of Agribusiness, Design, Biological Sciences, Business, Creative Arts, Social Sciences, and Sport and Exercise Science. Check out our website to learn more about Massey University study abroad programs.

Study Abroad at Massey from home

Our Virtual Study Abroad programme allows you to still have your New Zealand experience until you are able to travel over here. The fees are lower than traditional Study Abroad and you can take from one to four courses that will transfer back to your home university.

Massey University
Massey University Scholarships & Financial Aid

Massey University is committed to providing financial aid and scholarships to those in need. Every year we provide $500,000 in financial aid directly to international students studying abroad.

$5,000 - $20,000

Yihang

Studying in Massey Univ

International students are welcomed by Massey University. The registry process is smoothful and the classes are interactive and interesting. Preparations for final exams are not stressful at all. Massey University has a very nice library because it is warm and clean at any time. I studied 4 courses from different fields in Massey University and all the professors and course coordinators are kind and friendly. Students feel free to express ideas and ask questions. After class, professors and students communicate by e-mails. The reply letter is within 24 hours for sure. Besides both distance and internal students can start and doscuss a topic in the forums of courses in StreamSite System of Massey University. Massey studetns also have a MasseyUniv App. Students can check the class timetable, campus map and incoming activities. That's convenient.

What was your funniest moment?
The annual Mid-Autumn Festival supported by the Finance College was amazing. Lots of Asian friends came and celebrated this event together. We had fun gussing riddles and eating moon cakes.
Maslin

Life Changing Experience

For me studying abroad was always a dream of mine and I was always tied to going to New Zealand. I didn’t put a lot of effort into finding a school here other than what my home university offered and what classes were offered here. I think I got very lucky with Massey University - Albany. I didn’t realize how small the school was, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was to have a small school while studying abroad. It allows you to meet new people and actually see them again throughout campus. I ended up taking third year courses here which offered up another unique experience for me given most people studying abroad take easy classes and that the people in my classes all knew each other from other classes they were in together. So I had a more challenging time academically adjusting to the new teaching styles as well as finding people to talk to, but all of the teachers were super helpful. The location offered up so many opportunities to get and and do things! The campus is only a 45 minute bus ride into Auckland which offers so many different things to do and there is also a mall right across from campus which made shopping easy. The accommodations are what is to be expected for college dorms, but they make sure you have all the support needed. The food was a little disappointing, but there are lots of other options around. All in all my experience here was one I’ll never forget and I made life long friends here. I made sure to get out and explore NZ as much as possible and I honestly wish I could’ve stayed longer.

Find the balance of fun and study. Of course when studying abroad, most don’t come to study very hard, but I learned a lot about myself and different cultures just from being in classes in another country. Being able to see how an education system works compared to what you are used to changes perspectives on a lot of things and teaches you a lot about what countries find important in their education systems. Given that, it’s also important to not spend your whole time abroad studying. After all you are going to a different country, so actually get out and enjoy/explore the country that is your new home for an extended amount of time.
Hannah
No, I don't recommend this program

Massey University Study Abroad

Studying at this school was nothing like how I expected. I should have done more research before going to a school like this. It was very small, with few helpful support staff, and absolutely nothing to do in a 45 minute radius. It also had classes that were extremely underwhelming in respect to how challenging they were. I was only in class 6 hours a week, and became very bored very quickly with the great lack of things to do in Palmy. They also allowed 2 weeks for fall break, and 3 weeks for finals, which seemed like a waste of time to me personally. I wish I had chosen to study in Europe, or at least a university with more things to do than just to leave campus and travel elsewhere. There is also very little history and culture in Palmy, at least to someone coming from a hometown established in the 1630s. This university would appeal to people who enjoy a small-town scene, drinking and hiking; none of which I am fond of.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely try harder to try new things and create my own fun.
Response from Massey University

Kia ora Hannah,

Thank you very much for your honest review and we are sorry that you did not quite enjoy your stay with us here in Palmerston North.

We are very small compared to US universities/colleges as you can tell from the population differences but, we believe, this size creates the closeness within the student and university community. We are surprised that you only found a few helpful staff members as we’re normally known for our friendly support, we regret that we missed the mark. I also see that the difference in academic systems did not meet your expectations. The academic structure of NZ universities caters towards growing the independence of each student. If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to get in touch with us via the contact details on our website.

Norbert

The end of the world/New Zealand

Hey guys I'm Norbert. I spent one exchange year at Massey University in 2018/19. One of my best year of my life. The university was very good and kind I felt they were welcoming me and they are as happy as me to host me for one year. The staff was professional and helpful, every classes were good and interesting. During lab works they taught us new useful informations. I studied marine ecology as part of my degree and it was bloody good. If you wanna learn about whales and dolphins this is the place to go. Marine ecology is also very good and modules such as quantitative marine ecology helps you avoid flipping burgers and do all the cool sh*t that marine biology can offer you. Overall uni life is really good, night life not so. There is a bar/club on campus but come on I'm from Eastern Europe that's party not what New Zealand has haha. On the other hand outdoor adventures are absolutely amazing. You can literally do anything here. Catching huge monster fish from Auckland harbour or climbing active volcanos in Tongariro National Park, New Zealand can offer you anything. With this exchange year and the 3 months long summer break you have plenty of time to explore and enjoy NZ. The university is very close to east coast and about an hour from west coast with world famous surf. I learned surfing there and loved every second of it. If you thinking to take an exchange somewhere consider Massey because its amazing
Thanks for reading
Follow me on instagram for more amazing adventures
🤟 @lifeof_norbi

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
People are very very kind. They will help you instantly and won't let you down. It is easy to make new friends if you are not a dickhead :D
Cheyenne

Massey Exchange - Semester Two 2017

To study abroad in New Zealand was something I had never considered be it that it’s on the complete other side of the world from home. However, it turned out to be the best unplanned decision of my life. New Zealand is the country that I grew to fall in love with. It felt more like home than home itself. I felt so welcomed and accepted into the New Zealand community. To future participants my advice would be to just step out of your comfort zone and grab the invaluable experience of a lifetime. Enjoy the beautiful wonders New Zealand has to offer whilst gaining a top class educational experience at Massey. The teaching staff have a genuine desire to help students thrive and reach to the upmost limits of each individual student’s ability. I had never sought to travel and explore the world before this program, but I now certainly do have the travel bug bad... Infact, I am writing this review whilst on the plane to South East Asia. I'm humbled to have been fortunate enough to experience all that I did, and I encourage all future participants to take the opportunity, get on the plane and go!

N/A
Tim

Massey Exchange Semester

New Zealand is an awesome place to be!
People may rag on Palmerston North alot, and I'll admit its not a place you'd have any reason to visit, but it's actually a wonderful place to live! There is far more programming available for international students here to get out and explore the country than there is at Massey's Auckland/Albany Campus as well. And because of its location, Palmy is within easy access of both Wellington and the mountains.
Speaking of which, exploring the country, especially the South Island, simply MUST be done while you are here. If you're not the outdoorsy type, though, this might not be the country for you. Outdoors activities whether its tramping/hiking, skiing, mountain biking, or more niche like jetboating, bungee jumping, skidiving, whitewater rafting, heli-hiking, etc. are HUGE here. Be forewarned though, New Zealand is EXPENSIVE, so SAVE UP before coming here, as in, several thousand dollars more than you think you'll need. Also, Auckland and Queenstown are both overrated - I'm just sayin.

As for Massey itself, its OK. I was here on a bilateral exchange program so I only pay my home university's tuition to be here which is nice, but some more programming for internationals, and especially exchange/study abroad students would be appreciated.
For accommodation though, I cannot recommend the homestay program here highly enough. You basically get all the comforts of home, including home cooked meals and included utilities, for a rate which is quite reasonable compared to the cost of dorms/halls.

As I said before, more programming for international and exchange students. Also more support tailored for the exchange cohort and attempts to build community within it would be nice. There is a separate exchange support office to the International Student Support centre, but its not easy to find, so functionally you end up running all your questions through the ISS office.
Massey is also still working alot of bugs out of its new student portal software. This made signing up for courses annoying and had me getting overdue fee notices when I was fully paid up.
Caroline

A Californian Kiwi

I can't even believe this experience is ending. It has been among the most transformative times in my life. What started out as a trip to study for six months in another country has turned into lifelong relationships spanning the globe, unparalleled research experience, and educational opportunities impossible to find elsewhere. Massey allowed me to connect and work with professors. In my free time, I worked with a particular professor, and we're now working to write up or even publish our research on acoustics in freshwater streams. This relationship from a single study abroad has become a connection that will extend into my scientific career. Classes enabled me to learn about New Zealand's natural and human history from within, spotting birds along the coast with professors as I learned to recognize species by sight and call, visiting the National Museum to learn about New Zealand's role in World War II and ANZAC, and studying early European settlers in the enormous New Zealand section of Massey's library before visiting the Settler's Museum on the South Island to see the settler's artifacts in person (during semester break). Moving beyond academics, living in Palmerston North provided the opportunity to experience New Zealand as a local, making friends with families from town, shopping at the weekly farmers market, going to PAK'nSAVE with your international and local flatmates, and biking along the Manawatu River. My months in New Zealand were spent exploring, learning, and eating feijoas. I wouldn't have it any other way.

perhaps have a list of classes that are recommended (for electives), or a forum with current students, so that students can read or ask questions about potential courses and don't accidentally sign up for a course that doesn't fit within their interests or expectations.
Sanne

The other side of the globe

New Zealand is on the other side of the globe, compared to the Netherlands. Many differences exist between the countries. The things I like most about NZ is the beautiful nature and the people. While travelling, I saw stunning nature of which I didn't even think it existed. It's like on those pictures of which you think they are edited with Photoshop, but it does exist... the Netherlands is quite boring compared to New Zealand, it is totally flat (yeah it's true) and trees are half the size or less. Furthermore, people in the Netherlands are always in a hurry. During my exchange I met many kiwi's who were eager to show me nice places or give information about it. While travelling I enjoyed being outside, hitchhiking, camping and tramping. I've had a great half year on the other side of the globe!