Massey University Study Abroad Programs

Massey University Study Abroad Programs

Massey University offers a wide range of study options at three major campuses in Auckland, Palmerston North and Wellington. The University is committed to providing a warm and welcoming environment in which international students are encouraged to excel academically. The degrees and qualifications offered are relevant, reflect current research and meet the needs of the International Student community.

Massey is characterized by the applied nature of many of its teaching and research programs and by its specific expertise in the fields of Agribusiness, Design, Biological Sciences, Business, Creative Arts, Social Sciences, and Sport and Exercise Science. Check out our website to learn more about Massey University study abroad programs.

Oceania » New Zealand » Wellington
Language Requirement

Libby
Spokane
Washington State University

Massey (At Wellington) is a great place for younger students!

I loved my experience abroad at Massey, the environment was fun and the classes were mostly insightful. My only advice to future study abroad students considering the same path, would be to study abroad early in your college career! I found that being an older student in the final year of my study didn't quite fit in to Massey (At Wellington)'s structure and social environment. The classes were good, but workload and learning topics were not as I expected. My living situation with Massey Accommodation was heaps of fun but I would've liked to live in a more stable place with older students.

Make sure study abroad students are well informed of the classes they are committing to. Suggest other living options if they are older than 19.

Andrew
London, UK

Massey Student Excange

I have come to the Massey Manawatu Campus to do a student exchange from the UK. My time in NZ so far has been incredible!
It's been great studying here as I get to see my degree from a different angle - something I wouldn't have been able to do if I hadn't studied abroad. This has opened up my mind to an even wider job market which I could delve into.
The staff are also really supportive and help you fit in full time study commitments around full time travel adventures! There's so much to see in New Zealand and Palmerston North is a great base to which to see it all from.

Kimberly
Snohomish, WA
Whitworth University

A Semester At Massey

Studying abroad at Massey was a decision I will cherish for the rest of my life. Everybody on this campus and in the surrounding community is so kind and genuine. This is perhaps one of the most rewards parts to me. It is a safe, medium-sized town that is perfect for uni. The housing here is good, but the heating is different in every residence hall. And personally, I chose a self-catered hall so that I could cook for myself, and keep to the type of diet I wanted.

As a communications major my classes are based on discussion more than assignments. With small class sizes, this means we get to know each other very quickly--perfect for a newcomer. It is in these discussions I have made many new Kiwi friends, and had too many hilarious conversations erupting out of the differences between our cultures.

Personally, coming to Massey meant the opportunity to create new friendships, that I would meet people I would have otherwise never crossed paths with. I have not been disappointed. From my advisor, to my professors, peers, mentors, coworkers, clubs, and friends, I have been surrounded by phenomenal new individuals. I have created life long friendships in a matter of months.

I have also had the chance to visit Wellington, New Plymouth, Taranaki, and Rotorua on weekend trips, as well as a 2 week long road trip up to Cape Reinga, the Bay of Islands, Coromandel, and Tauranga. I went on this two week trip in a camper van with people I had only known for 6 weeks, and now they are some of my closest friends! I plan to spend the rest of my travels in the South Island, seeing Able Tasman, Mt. Cook, Christchurch, Queenstown, and even flying over to Australia! New Zealand is such a beautiful, safe country, and if you plan it right, you should be able to see it all during your stay.

I recommend a higher involvement of domestic students during no only orientation, but the first few weeks of the semester. By creating some sort of international club that could welcome us, we would have an easier time befriending domestic students. On of the orientation activities, quiz night, was run by a group of Kiwi students who promised they'd see us around campus and be willing to help us with any adjustments, but I never saw them again.

Allen
Chicago, Illinois
Elmhurst College

Massey University Experience

Massey University definitely has so much to offer! They have an exceptional Communications program with classes that are all transferable back to my home university! With that said, I've also taken the amazing opportunity to complete a Communications internship for credit during my time abroad as well! Massey has plenty of fun social clubs for everyone, and everyone around campus has been really friendly! All of my class sizes are fairly small, ranging from 8-25 students in my classes, which creates very close relationships with your peers and professors! This is my very first time studying abroad, and so far, I've gotten the chance to squeeze in trips to Auckland, New Plymouth, Napier, Queenstown, and Sydney! If you don't have a car, no worries! Intercity Bus, and The Naked Bus are your best methods of traveling for cheap prices! New Zealand has a ton of beautiful scenery, and it's an amazing opportunity to immerse yourself into learning more about the Maori culture as well! Massey is a very big international school, so you'll definitely be meeting students from all around the world! If you study abroad or take part in a student exchange at Massey, you won't regret it! Best of luck to everyone!

For the international orientation, I would recommend instead of doing the sheep shearing performance, I would recommend performing a Maori ritual for all the new incoming students. This would just be a lot more cultural. It was also be really nice to provide the new students with a taste of traditional Maori food as well.

Massey University is an exciting and progressive New Zealand university. We offer internationally recognized research-led qualifications that are hugely relevant in today’s world. Join us, and become part of the new New Zealand.

Massey is characterized by the applied nature of many of our teaching