Middlebury School in Uruguay

The Middlebury program in Montevideo offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take their courses directly in a local university, at the Universidad Católica del Uruguay, the Universidad de la República, or the Universidad ORT, and all students are encouraged to get involved in the community through internships or interactions within the clubs and activities available.

Students looking for more advanced language preparation prior to the start of the spring semester in Latin America are encouraged to participate in the four-week Spanish program in Uruguay. This program is the equivalent of a fifth-semester Spanish course, and focuses on the study of the cultural and social characteristics of the local Carnaval.

• All course work is conducted entirely in Spanish
  • Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
  • Direct enrollment at local universities
  • Housing with local families
  • Internships available in many fields

Elijah

Uruguay, a Hidden Gem

I found my time in Montevideo to be immensely enjoyable. Montevideo is a great city to live in, because it has the positives of the city without being a hard to get around metropolis. It was easy to walk or take the bus system to whatever destination. While most Uruguayans felt that the city was unsafe, the other international students and I felt Montevideo was a safe city. If you take basic safety precautions, like not putting your phone in your back pocket, you should be okay. This program offers students the chance to study at various public and private universities in city while having an internship at a local organization or company as well. It was great to not only study but to learn about working life as well. Additionally, the support you will receive from staff and your host family while abroad strikes the perfect balance between caring for you and letting you be independent.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could redo my experience in Uruguay, I might chose to attend a private university instead of the public university. It seemed easier to develop friendships at the private university than the public university.
Jackson

Montevideo, Uruguay, Middlebury Schools Abroad

Overall, I had a good time. I was able to hone my Spanish skills, travel around a bit, get to know Montevideo, and learn to live the Uruguayan life. However, my first host family was an absolute disaster, which was an unfortunate stain on an otherwise mostly positive experience. My second housing situation was far better, though, and I was able to conclude my experience in a safe and comfortable environment.

Better screening of host families.