TEFL Certification in Cusco, Peru

MAXIMO NIVEL - TEFL Graduation with a hug
MAXIMO NIVEL - TEFL Graduation with a hug
My students and me during my week of practical teaching
MAXIMO NIVEL - TEFL Graduation!
MAXIMO NIVEL - TEFL Graduation!
Rainbow Mountain
MAXIMO NIVEL - TEFL class with TEFL Trainer Karen
MAXIMO NIVEL - TEFL class with TEFL Trainer Karen
Tefl toast!
Hiking to Rainbow Mountain

Become a certified English teacher by earning a TEFL certification with Maximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru. TEFL Certification is your passport to living and working as English teacher anywhere else in the world!

The 4-week/150-hour certification program includes more than 15 hours of practical English teaching and observation of experienced teachers. Groups are small with usually 2 to 14 people.

The TEFL Program consists of 12 modules:

- Teaching Listening & Reading
- Teaching English with Games
- Assessing & Testing Learners
- Introduction to international English exams: TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge

Maximo Nivel is internationally accredited and the Maximo Nivel TEFL Certificate is accepted by institutes, language schools, and universities around the world.

Travel Grants Available for a Limited Time!

Ready to work as an English teacher abroad? Register today for our award winning TEFL Certification in Costa Rica, Guatemala and Peru and apply for a special travel grant.

Popular Programs

The 4-week 150-hour onsite course in Peru is one of our most popular destinations and TEFL courses. The TEFL program in Cusco usually ranges from 8 to 15 participants. Our language-training center in Cusco has a very successful ESL program and the ESL classes you teach during your course average 10-12 English students. Due to the high altitude of Cusco, be sure to dress in layers—stay casual for your TEFL classes, but bring more professional clothes for your teaching practice.

Hello! Our TEFL course is 150 hours total. This includes 100 hours in class, 6 hours observing other teachers, 6-8 hours practical teaching, 37 hours assigned reading, lesson planning, and Grammar Paper and Personal Development Paper. Please note that the course is intensive and tends to be the participants' main priority. Most students find that they dedicate the majority of their day to the...
Here's the link to the website page that breaks down housing by week and price! http://maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/prices/
You can find all of the program dates here: http://maximonivel.com/tefl-tesol/program-dates/
The cost is $1700 but if you volunteer with the Maximo Nivel program before or after the TEFL course you can receive a $700 discount. Classes are offered once a month and start around the third week of the month.

• Benefits 9.6
  • Facilities 8.7
  • Instruction 9.9
  • Academic Rigor 8.3
  • Job Assistance 9.7
Eva

Sean is the best!

This experience at Maximo Nivel has opened my eyes to the possibility of teaching all over the world. This was by far one of the best decisions that I have ever made. Sean the teacher of the TEFL course is one of the most incredible individuals I have ever met. The course includes a lot of information, so get ready to work hard, but it is so worth it!!! This course includes an intro week where you learn about teaching methodologies and practice teaching a mini lesson in the first week. These mini lessons provide assistance in your own teaching and allows you to get hands on experience right away. The second week is grammar week and you do two mini lessons and a grammar paper. You will have to observe other classes in the institute, this helps get an idea of the type of teacher you would like to be. The last week was my favorite and was practical teaching week, where you are assigned your own class and get to teach them all week! The students are amazing and you learn so much within this week. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about the world and teaching abroad. The only downside is that I DO NOT recommend getting housing through Maximo, it is expensive and not worth the price. You can find higher quality and more affordable housing on your own, so don't be afraid! Check on facebook for housing listings. :)

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Teaching present tense and the students ask you a question that you are not sure of.
Taylor

Everyone should do TEFL

This was a great course in a great location! Sean, the teacher, is the best person in the world and works extremely hard to help us reach success! We all came out of TEFL more confident and qualified to reach our goals! We made lifelong friends and openes the door for so many amazing opportunities! If you wish to grow yourself, this program is for you! The only negative is the housing through Maximo. We overpayed for an apartment through them. We moved out within a week because it did not meet the expectations they provided us. We were refused a refund. Find your own housing, you can find great accommodations for waaaay cheaper than Maximo. Besides that, I highly recommend this course! Broaden your horizons! Remember, there is no comfort in growth zone and no growth in the comfort zone!

Ingrid

Fantastic

The course definitely exceeded my expectations, the trainer was excellent and I learned far more than I thought I could in a month. There was a good balance between theory and hands on experience, and it’s a very practical for anyone who wants a way to find themselves while traveling. I would recommend this course to people who are willing to put the work in to reap a lifetime of substantial rewards. Expect to teach for a week with one class, and to do a ton of work outside of the classroom on your own time. It’s highly intensive and you will need to be dedicated to what you are doing, so make sure before investing in the course this is something you want to pursue. However, most people have said the same thing, that they enjoyed teaching more than they thought they would, so if you think it’s something you can be passionate about put in the work and you will be pleased with your growth as a traveler, person, teacher, and member of the global community.

Michelle

An excellent way to get your foot in the door in the world of TEFL

You can't go wrong having a purpose in visiting the lovely and exquisite city of Cusco, Peru. Maximo Nivel offered a rigorous program that was extensively challenging and enjoyable. They provide 24 hour support, clean and safe housing and a welcoming learning environment to accomplish this work intensive program. There is nothing more satisfying than your last week when you actually take over a class for the week. I would highly recommend the program to anyone thinking they may or may not want to teach English one day. The instructor provides an intense amount of positive reinforcement despite a heavy work load. It is certainly an experience that pays out based on what you put into it. The camaraderie in my group was fantastic and offered a wonderful experience both inside and outside of the classroom.

Kathryn

Incredible experience!

I can’t say enough good things about Maximo Nivel, the TEFL course and the whole experience.

Maximo Nivel is helpful and supportive from before booking to your departure and everything know between. I was really impressed with how available they were with everything - from taking care of me when I wasn’t feeling well to suggesting places to eat and shop.

The TEFL course itself far exceeded my expectations. It’s by no means easy but it’s doable and very rewarding. Our teacher (Sean!) was enganging, made classes fun and modelled all the techniques he was teaching us. He too created a very supportive and encouraging atmosphere that empowered us to succeed.
I can easily say he was the best teacher I’ve ever had!

Cusco offers so many different places to explore. Maximo Nivel will introduce you to a reputable tour company (America Inca Trail) that offers safe and fun tours in town around to the outskirts of Cusco (Machu Picchu).

You will not be disappointed!

Rowan

Teaching is cool

Maximo Nivel's Peru TEFL program was an amazing experience. I signed up for it as part of my gap year, not knowing what to expect.

I thought I knew a lot about grammar, but there was much I still had to learn. Classes get kind of intense around the third week, but nothing that isn't able to be done. Sean, the instructor for the program is great! I can't think of anything he could have done to be more perfect for the position.

Having the same class through practical teaching week was really cool. You get to know the students while you practice teaching. As I said, I didn't come here JUST for this program, and I was actually pretty intimidated by it. It was great to experience teaching and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I really wanted to sign up to be a teacher as soon as the program ended.

Being in Cusco has been wonderful, too. There is a lot to see and do. I've been here for two months and have never been bored.

The books are a little outdated (but they're already fixing that!)
Shaun

Awesome course

Really good course. Eases you in and teaches you fundamentals of teaching English and grammar rules. Really intense, you will have to work hard in the middle. Sean models good English teaching throughout all 'lectures' and you get contact time at the end. Maximo have 3 sites and like hiring within. Cusco is a great city with loads of things to do. I'm writing the rest because it has to be 400 characters.

There could be more contact time in the last week. 1 hour a day isn't loads
Lurene

My Peru Experience

I recently completed the TEFL program at Maximo Nivel in Peru. It started off a little rocky I had someone read my bank card and try to wipeout my account before I left Florida and I wasn't aware because I was travelling and had already taken out the money I needed. So I didn't know that my account had been locked until about a week later it was a fiasco. When I first arrived in Cusco within the first 2 hours of my arrival my cellphone was stolen. I pretty much spent my entire first day in police stations, it was horrible. Stay away from Santiago if they see you with a phone out especially an iPhone they will take it and they are really good you won't notice your phone has been taken until it's too late. Those incidents were the only real struggles that I've had to deal with here.
The people at Maximo as well as my classmates and instructor Sean were all very nice and helpful they let me know that if I needed anything all I had to do was ask. I stayed in an apartment by myself right down the street from San Pedro Market and it was absolutely beautiful. And any issues I had Juanita had them fixed immediately.The course started immediately. We taught mini lessons and our last week we taught a class for one hour a day that entire week. We also had to observe 5 different teachers and how they taught their classes, and 2 major writing assignments. I'll admit I knew the course wasn't going to be easy and more than a few times I found myself wondering what had I signed up for, But Sean is such an amazing instructor he helped me through it. Sean is definitely one of the most fun and dedicated instructors I've ever met. He wants to see all of his students succeed so he's at Maximo 6 days a week literally and he often stays late to make sure he's there if we need any additional help. If you can the mini adventures that Maximo provide through The American Inca Trail are also worth it. Despite my bumpy start this has been one of the most amazing experiences ever.

This program is perfect the way that it is.
Minette

TEFL in Cusco

I had a great time doing this course!! It is a lot of work and you cannot really afford to slack. Sean was the best anyone could ask for and he really motivated the entire group to do our best. We were a small but strong group and am so happy i decided to do the course here in Cusco! 100% recommended. I did not know that I was going to walk away from this course so motivated and proud of myself for accomplishing what we did in such a short space of time.

Cassie

TEFL certification program

My experience at Maximo Nivel exceeded all my expectations. The coordinators were organized, professional, and everyone was there to help with any questions I had. The program itself was intense, but the curriculum was interesting, and the staff made sure to make it fun and exciting. I did not know what to expect when I signed up to get my TEFL certification, but the material we went over was helpful of the realities of being an English teacher and how to properly teach a foreign language to future students. I would recommend this program to anyone and highly suggest to do the onsight certification, because you can do hands-on experience with real students. Practicing with real students was helpful to apply the techniques you learn through the program with the guidance of Maximo staff. I feel more than ready to start my career as an English teacher, thanks to this Maximo Nivel TEFL program.

Carla

Go For It

This is what I did. I am 49 years old and at a stage in my life where I was looking for a change. I read about the TEFL program at Maximo Nivel online and was instantly interested. Then I searched online for everything I could find out about the program. Even though the comments were all positive, I took my time to really consider the investment it would be and the life changes it would include. You can never be 100% sure of something but I made the decision to go for it.
I can say wholeheartedly, I am so glad I did. The class is worth the investment. It was packed with training and support. Sean, my instructor, was excellent. My classmates were great and even though the work load was intense, the class was so much fun. I discovered I love to teach English as a foreign language. Life is too short to sit back and wonder what if....just go for it.

Roy-d

Maximo Nivel and Sean Barter will make a difference in your life!

This course has made me think about what it takes to be a professional English teacher. Inspire students to learn is the goal of any teacher and with this program at Maximo Nivel I think have achieved it during the practical teaching week. Sean, my trainer, was super professional, knowledgeable and available at all times. He will help you every step of the way. You will realize that everything he asks you to do in class, he has already done it with you. Just pay attention and have fun. With him every day will be different and fun.
It was the last day during the practical teaching week that I realized how much I enjoy teaching. Even though I had to work hard every day, in the end, it was all worth it. You'll never forget it.
So if you're thinking about taking this course, let me tell you that it will be challenging but also fun. You will meet people from all backgrounds and they will become your friends. Who knows? You might find a new passion, just like I did.

Just keep up the good work.
Ben

Excellent Program Exceeded Expectations

I really cannot say enough good things about the Maximo Nivel TEFL course in Cusco. Sean is an excellent teacher; he not only taught us invaluable skills, but also modeled those same skills everyday as he taught the course. I never imagined that the class would pack so much material into such a short time period. It really was intensive, but not in any way overwhelming. I would say it was about the perfect level of intensity. The amount of practical teaching practice also surpassed my expectations. We were already in front of students on the second day, and getting thrown right in helped me feel like a teacher right from the start.

Cusco is also a beautiful city with so much to do. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone interested in a TEFL certification that really wants to become a better teacher.

Cassidy

Professionalism in Cusco, Peru

I completed the TEFL course in Cusco, Peru. I only have good things to say about the facility and the instructors. Sean was the lead instructor and Yobi was his assistant. Are class was rather large and I never felt like that affected the quality. Sean and Yobi were terrific. They were great teachers and handled the class masterfully. Any questions or doubts I had was quickly handled. The whole experience was wonderful. The classroom has everything you would ever need and all of the employees of Maximo were great. I was extremely impressed and would happily recommend this program to any of my freinds.

N/A
Michael

Worth it

The staff here is great, really goes out of their way to make sure you are comfortable in Cusco. I had some issues with the water heater in my apartment and told the Maximo staff and within the day it was resolved. They will work with landlord or host family to make sure you are never lost in translation which is extremely helpful. I speak some Spanish but am easily overwhelmed by technical details, and so their help was much appreciated.

The course itself is not very difficult, just requires that you put in the effort to keep up with the reading and a few papers. Even though you might be a native speaker you will definitely realize there are a lot of aspects to grammar that need a bit of study to wrap your head around (looking at you, conditionals).

I never felt lost in the class because my teacher (Sean Barter) was absolutely fantastic and very engaging. Definitely one of the best teachers I've ever had and if the other teachers are of the same caliber I wholeheartedly recommend the program. My own class was great. Sean worked to make sure we as a class were cohesive while providing plenty of indivual assessment and was available pretty much all the time. You should sign up! There's a lot more they offer than just the TEFL certification so there will be a lot to keep you occupied. It was a well spent month.

Alumni Interviews

About Maximo Nivel

Founded in 2003, Maximo Nivel is a leading organization in study abroad and educational travel. We are an internationally accredited organization with 4 locally based institutes in 3 of the most beautiful countries in the world—Costa Rica, Guatemala....