Teach English in Thailand with Mediakids

MediaKids is a TEFL job placement provider that places over 200 teachers every semester in more than 70 schools across Thailand. We are looking for energetic, creative, responsible and culturally sensitive teachers -- whether you are a recent University graduate or a seasoned professional -- and we guarantee placements for teachers who fit Thai schools’ requirements. We have new-teacher intakes every May and November, with mid-semester positions based on availability.

• Experience Thailand through the eyes of the locals as a TEFL teacher, and experience Thailand beyond the beaten path
  • Create a strong network of friends and support system to live, travel, explore, and make memories with
  • Live and teach in Thailand stress-free. Leave everything in the hands of our expert staff from start to finish
  • Teach in a country that acts as a launch pad to the rest of the world - world travel is right at your doorstep!
  • Make a difference in the lives of others by teaching, encouraging, and inspiring your students and local community

• Benefits 7.8
  • Facilities 7.7
Mazuin

Amazing Adventure in Thailand

My experience as an English teacher here in Thailand is such a fun and amazing adventure. My students are all jolly and participative that makes my classes interactive and fun. Also, my co-teachers are all kind and helpful all the time. Aside from working as an English teacher, I also got ample time to travel and visit different places in Thailand which adds to my rich cultural experiences here. When it comes to the agency, the staff and personnel of the MediaKids Academy are like our family. They are very approachable, reliable and responsible mentors of us. They always respond to our queries and concerns on time. They always make us feel at ease in our work and stay in Thailand. Hence, if ever that someone would like to come in Thailand to teach, I would definitely recommend Mediakids Academy to him/her.

I think it is better if the MediaKids Academy will facilitate some tutorials or extra classes during the semestral break and summer break so that the teachers will have some money to support themselves during the breaks.
Mazuin

Amazing Adventure in Thailand

Heidi

Good Company, Okay Experience

Working for MediaKids has been my first experience teaching abroad and I have to say that they've done a great job at providing support for the logistical challenges of working in Thailand. My cultural consultants were very responsive and reassuring whenever I had questions about immigration, visas, work permits, holidays, or needed someone to help represent my interests to the administration at my placement school.

MediaKids has also provided great tools for my classroom. As a first-time teacher it was incredibly helpful to be given an outline for the semester, as well as recommended vocabulary and suggested classroom activities. At the same time, they give teachers room to personalize their lessons and cater to the varying level of students.

One thing I would note is that there seems to be a lot of disparity in people’s experiences working for this company. Some schools are very demanding and strict while others are pretty flexible and low-key. The level of students of the same age also varies from school to school. While my students are mostly polite and eager to learn, I have friends from orientation that have struggled with student behavioral issues and been unable to find support from MediaKids or their placement school. This variety might be unavoidable, due to the number of different schools across the country that use MediaKids ESL teachers, but it is still important to note if you’re considering working for them.

To conclude, it doesn’t seem like MediaKids is above the curve as far as ESL employers in Thailand. The pay and benefits provided by the company seem average for local standards (new teachers at public schools in rural areas). Also, regardless of which company or school you chose to work for, I imagine a lot of your experience living in Thailand will be dependent on your initiative and interests. All that being said, MediaKids is still a solid choice and I would recommend them as my experience being an employee of the company has been a generally good one.

I would suggest MediaKids work on fostering a support network and invest in creating social events and gatherings for their teachers throughout the semester- especially those in more remote areas of Esan. To be entirely honest, one of my main reason for leaving the company after 1 semester is the feeling of social isolation and restricted access to activities Iike yoga, hiking, and camping - things that would typically occupy my free time State-side that are more difficult to recreate in rural Esan. I've been inventive with finding solutions for how to stay active in my free time, but there is still a very small western community in my town and the social isolation has been a struggle.
Max

An Experience to Remember in Thailand

Everyone has their reason for coming to Thailand. Some come for the adventure, some come for the partying, some come for the culture, and some--like me--have come for work. As I got on the plane that would take me to Bangkok for my orientation with MediaKids, I was, understandably, very nervous. Spending four months teaching hundreds of kids who speak a language that I don't seemed particularly daunting. But after the three-day orientation course with MediaKids, that nervousness was largely put to rest. From day one they did their best to quell any fears we had and make everything as clear as possible to us about what we should expect during this chapter of our lives. I left orientation with confidence I didn't expect to have and have never looked back. Yes, I was still a bit nervous on day one of teaching, but, because of MediaKids and their excellent staff, I was prepared. I'm over three months in now and can say that MediaKids still continues to be a delightful company to work for. Just about everyone I interact with from the company is very nice and genuinely cares about any issue I may have. It is quite refreshing to work for a company like them. If someone asks me about teaching English in Thailand, I will definitely speak favorably of MediaKids.

I don't like that we are not given a full-functioning debit card. With the Bangkok Bank card they give us, I am not easily able to make purchases online (for plane tickets, etc.) or even at some stores. Also there is a 15 baht withdrawal fee every time I need cash. Not much, but it adds up.
Rhea

Great Experience

This experience allowed me to be exposed to the Thai culture. I am able to speak a little bit of Thai now. I met many great teachers through this program. They pick you up from the airport, which I thought was great. My Area Consultants were very helpful when I needed them.

My school had a mid semester break. It allowed me to travel to other parts of Thailand on my spare time. I got to visit Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Koh Larn, U-Thong, Korat, and of course Bangkok.

I worked with high school students in Essan. The children can be fun to work with. They have a lot of fun school activities you can observe.

Communication and Organization could be improved.
Carlos

Amazing Experience

Working with MediaKids has been a memorable experience. I am going to continue working with MediaKids because this company is definitely a stepping stone to broaden my horizon, to learn, and teach in many other countries. Although there were emails lost in translation, MediaKids always got back to me with prudent information I was seeking. I will definitely recommend MediaKids to any other person looking to start their career in teaching abroad or simply trying to see the world by learning and teaching.

This program can improve by hiring more staff members assisting with passing crucial information regarding technical requirements ie visas. MediaKids can also improve by replying back to emails more promptly.
Samantha

Teaching changes your life.

Teaching with Media Kids was life changing. I found myself pushing out of my comfort zone all to have the most fun and teach my students the best I could. I grew as a person and came to love all my children along the way. Working with MK was easy, they take care of the legalities of living and working in Thailand, that was the biggest help. I would recommend working with MK and definitely recommend teaching in Thailand.

I think further teacher training would be useful. Especially for beginner ESL Teachers wanting to become better instructors.
Sheralin

Take the leap, start your career teaching in Thailand

If you enjoy the social aspect of life, make sure you posted in an area where there are other foreigners.

When you sign up with Media Kids they do get you to fill out a preference form, they use this form to place you to the best of their ability. Many areas are in rural Thailand but you can make the most out of any situation 😉

Overall my experience has been good. It’s an awesome opportunity to be able to teach English abroad.

DjNelson

Teaching @ Banthaenwittaya School

This is my first experience teaching in a foreign country and I didn't regret doing it. The experiences I had for the past 3 months plus will make me a better teacher for sure. I got to learn the culture of Thailand through the daily encounter I have with my students and my co-teachers. I will always remember how my colleagues laugh at me when they let me repeat a Thai word which I failed badly. On the other side, Salary-wise , its not that big specially if you have a family to support but I did make the most out of my stay with my school and Mediakids.

Increase the base pay of Filipino teachers. I want to stay with the agency because I enjoyed working with the people and the support they give to the me is awesome but I find it hard to budget the salary I am receiving monthly. If you want your teachers to stick with you at least dont be too stingy with your base pay.
Ellie

Teaching in Thailand

Media kids is a good way to begin your teaching experience in Thailand however I was placed in a location I didnt want and had problems with regards to getting my wages from my Thai bank into my UK and Mediakids also seemed to have no idea how to do this which I was very surprised by.

Very helpful with somethings however I still sometimes felt I did not have the support system they advertised.

Shey@31
Shiela

Bliss Journey

Sawadee-kha... :)

This is my first time to travel and work abroad. My journey here in Thailand with the help and support of Mediakids is great and blissful experience especially to a first timer traveler like me. I am so grateful to the staff of Mediakids, they are very accommodating and friendly. All of my queries and concerns were answered accordingly. We are reminded now and then on where, how, when, and what to do. I would like to commend them for a job well done, from the employment process, accommodation, visa extension and visa run, Mediakids is my all- through-out support and guide to make this experience a memorable one.

I don't have any feedback for their improvement cause I know that they all doing their jobs efficiently and effectively.
Ryan

Say goodbye to free time

Do not work for MediaKids unless you enjoy working long hours on nights and weekends. For almost 2 years I worked as both a teacher and an office consultant for MK and the only reason I stayed that long is because of the unbelievably smart, fun and kind Thai staff that work there.

HOWEVER, the woman who runs the company forces all of them, and her teachers, to drop whatever they are doing for the sake of work. Here are some examples:

- As a teacher, I was asked to teach 24 periods per week, which is the maximum. Not the end of the world in and of itself. Except those 24 periods couldn't cover as many of the students as the school wanted, so MK gave them the go ahead to put 100+ students in my classroom each period.
- As a consultant, I averaged 2 working weekends per month. The month I finally decided I'd had enough of the CEO's demands, I was forced to work 4 weekends in a row. Just shy of 30 straight days.
- As a friend of the staff that still works at MediaKids, I invited some of my former colleagues to my wedding. I gave them several months warning so they could request this one Sunday evening off. Denied.

The woman who runs MediaKids is incredibly wealthy. And yet she almost never rewards her loyal staff with pay raises or even simple praise. She makes them work 80-hour weeks and refuses to pay them anything close to what they would get at any other Thai company.

And if you teach for MediaKids, she'll do the same to you.

More reasonable teaching contracts, fewer extracurricular demands, fairer HR standards (paying based on teaching/linguistic capacity rather than on the color a teacher's skin)
No, I don't recommend this program
Lydia

Couldn't ask for better!

MEDIA KIDS have been absolutely fabulous in helping me through moving countries from the UK to Thailand and changing my career into becoming a TEFL teacher.

Having decided that Thailand was the country I was determined to teach in, but being completely bewildered where to even start - Media Kids from the word go have been fantastic.
I had plenty of Skype interviews, but Media Kids just felt completely the correct choice to go for, they made everything seem possible and easily doable (which it is.)
The company is young and enthusiastic, yet competent and utterly supportive. They are experienced and will go the extra mile to help when you need it.
Even before leaving the UK, they were on hand to help. They properly listened to all of my requests about where in Thailand I wanted to move to and why (I absolutely love where I've been placed in the North of Thailand - it ticks every box I asked for,) they listened to all of my concerns about getting all my documents in order before coming out here - and never made me feel silly for asking the most ridiculous of questions.
Even on arrival at the orientation, they remembered me which was a great personal and welcoming touch!
Now that I'm a few months into teaching and working with Media Kids, they remain ace. There's a team designated for your area, and they really are on hand whenever you need them - even if it's for translating a sign in a shop (thank you Kwan!!)
Any questions or worries I've had about the curriculum and / or teaching, they're there to help, without any judgement.
They really are super friendly and accommodating, I feel like I have a totally understanding support network to fall back on.
Now I'm in Thailand and I've met other TEFL teachers who use other companies, it seems like they have to do a lot of their own leg work with all the legal paperwork, to sorting out phone contracts, finding their own accommodation, navigating new curriculum's etc... (which trust me - if you don't speak or read Thai is pretty hardcore...!) but Media Kids take all that stress off and either do it for you - or guide you through every step of the way. Which is a huge deal breaker if nothing else!
They've made an exciting (but daunting!) experience all the better and I couldn't have made a better choice in choosing Media Kids.
Thank you!

Emlyn

DON’T LET YOUR TEACHING TRIP TO THAILAND BE ONE LONG HEADACHE.

Choose Media Kids to help you every step of the way. I had so many Skype interviews with different teaching agencies back home in England, but it was an obvious choice to go with Media Kids. They’ve helped me every step of the way providing all the information I needed before jetting off, orientation in Bangkok, an easy to use teaching curriculum, to settling into life and actually working in Northern Thailand. This is only my first term teaching and it’s been as smooth as Thai silk. I have a team of assistants at MK to help me whenever I need them and I’m looking forward to many more months with Media Kids by my side.

Samuel

First time teaching.

After being in a job that had me physically and mentally exhausted I needed a change, thankfully I had recently finished my TEFL course and found a job opportunity to teach in Thailand. A week after I applied to MediaKids I had an interview, the next day I was offered the job at my choice of schools. Less than a month later I had arrived in Bangkok. I had a warm welcome when I arrived at the hotel, spent the evening getting my bearings and then got ready for the three day orientation which was interesting, taught me some basic Thai and explained various elements of teaching along with practising lessons with the rest of the new teachers. I had 5 days before I started teaching once the orientation finished, so I flew up to Chiang Mai where I climbed waterfalls, explored a cave temple and relaxed at some hot springs. Once I eventually arrived in my town, a nice rural area in the North of Thailand, I had a weekend to explore. I got to meet the Thai teachers and the director of the school, everyone was incredibly welcoming, the foreign teachers were introduced at a school assembly and we were each presented with some flowers which now decorate my desk in the office, a week after that we were taken out for a welcome meal which was absolutely incredibly, and presented with another plant, which decorates the head of my bed. Teaching has been an entirely unique experience, it started off very tough but as the students got used to me they are more talkative and even speak to me in English when they see me around town. While this is a small rural town there is still a lot to do, if you know where to look. I have made many friends here, and there is now a group of about 12 of us teachers who often meet up in the evenings or at weekends. Just yesterday, we hired motorbikes for 200 baht, roughly the price of a pint of beer back home, and spent the day driving through the mountains, visiting temples and relaxing by some rivers and waterfalls before returning to the weekly night market in town. If you are feeling stuck in your life, or just need to get away from everything, I would highly recomend applying to a MediaKids job listing and start a new life, have some incredible new experiences, see a brand new world with a totally different culture, enrich some young lives and have 24/7 support from the agency while you are doing all of this.

About MediaKids Academy

Are you the adventurous type seeking to travel, explore and immerse yourself into rich and authentic cultures? Why not teach in Thailand! MediaKids Academy offers teaching positions in Central, North and the Northeast of Thailand. Take this chance...