Volunteer in Cambodia: Most Affordable & Real Impact!

UBELONG offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Volunteer in one of these world-class projects:

CAREGIVING
-->Caring and teaching for children from poor backgrounds
-->Caring for children with disabilities

EDUCATION

LAW AND HUMAN RIGHTS
-->Advancing community rights

NGO SUPPORT
-->Strengthening NGO capacity

Visit ubelong.org for more detail - the journey of a lifetime starts there!

• **24/7 in-country support
  • **Volunteer on projects that truly need you
  • **Live in the heart of Phnom Penh and enjoy delicious meals every day
  • **Go with a US based organization - legitimacy and peace of mind
  • **The #1 program in Phnom Penh and with the best reviews!

Be ready to go with the flow! You don't get much info about where you're working until your first day really (at least for our teaching english to younger kids projects). We also take tuk tuks to work everyday and sometimes the drivers late - I was so stressed that we would look bad showing up to work late, but no one minded. Weekend plans all over the country are sometimes booked last minute and...

Amy

UBELONG Cambodia

I had an excellent experience with UBELONG, and felt well supported throughout my time in Cambodia. My work placement was locally managed meaning it was sustainable and had long term goals, which I felt I was able to contribute towards as part of a larger team. My living conditions were also excellent and I met amazing people who I still keep in touch with! Overall I had a great experience and would definitely recommend UBELONG

Steven

Review of UBELONG in Cambodia

Volunteering through UBELONG was a great experience. It was great of UBELONG to set up all of my accommodations in Phnom Penh from the moment I arrived from where I would be staying to where I would be volunteering. Not only was there someone at the airport to meet each of the volunteers, but our living situation was ideal. The volunteer house we stayed that was set up by UBELONG was another one of the highlights of my trip and allowed for me to instantly meet and connect with a diverse group of fellow volunteers from all around the world. Thank you UBELONG.

Reduce the cost just a little, otherwise, nothing else!
Abraham

UBELONG Review

Why did you decide to become a UBELONG Volunteer?
I decided to become a UBELONG Volunteer because I was looking for a way to make an impact abroad with my volunteer work. I wanted to make a tangible difference in the lives people whose country I visited. UBELONG stood out because instead of offering me a manufactured experience, UBELONG allowed me to shape my own experience abroad and make a visible change for the better.

What was your impact on your volunteer project?
I worked to secure nationality papers and reduce statelessness among Cambodian minority groups. Through my time in the office and in the field, I helped my NGO work with three floating communities of over 200 people each. As each member of the community gained citizenship, they were able to buy land, access state healthcare, send their children to school, and have a chance at a better life. Knowing I had helped make that change was the most gratifying part of my experience.

What were your major challenges?
My biggest challenge was the language barrier. Most of my target communities did not speak English, and many did not speak even Cambodia’s national language of Khmer. Although my coworker helped me with translation, it was a significant hurdle.

In a sentence or less, how would you describe the locals you met?
The locals were welcoming, warm, generous, and fun!

Angela

Not a one-off experience

UBELONG made me realize that any one of us can make a difference in whatever shape or form. Volunteers are supported at every stage of the process and are given the most practical advice and information. The team at UBELONG knows exactly what the volunteers are going through as they themselves have experience in overseas volunteering. The journey I experienced in Cambodia and the support I received from my mentor have been a smooth sail and needless to say, unforgettable. Thank you UBELONG for making my first overseas volunteering trip so lasting and meaningful. I am already planning for my next overseas volunteering trip at the end of this year and I know who I will look to for support for this upcoming trip.

Nai

Be grateful and be open minded

I learnt not to compare how things were done back at home and impose them to my volunteer project, as what works for us at home might not for the locals here. Instead, work with the local team to modify the method that is realistic and workable for them to sustain for long term.

Nicholas

UBELONG Volunteer in Cambodia

UBELONG was absolutely wonderful. Originally, I was a little apprehensive to be living in a new country where I would not know anyone. The UBELONG contacts took time to skype and go over any questions and concerns I had. They also emailed a very detailed preparation packet with a pre-departure checklist and advice for literally everything I could think of. The time and energy they put into preparing you is evident from the moment you become accepted to your program.

I would have liked to have a few resources for learning a bit of the language before arriving in Cambodia. We received some resources a couple of days after arriving (which were very helpful).
Maria

UBELONG

UBELONG is a very serious and reliable organization. The preparation to the field and all the work behind make the volunteer experience very enriching and easily enjoyable. Being a UBELONG Volunteer made me more conscious of myself and of the work in the field.
Thanks to international organizations as UBELONG, people have the opportunity to travel and to live unforgettable experiences looking for a common good.

RobertEngberg

A great experience

UBELONG is an organization committed to delivering the best experience possible for volunteers. Their program in Cambodia provides excellent food and accommodation. The local staff are quick to provide whatever support you might need during your stay. The volunteer house is large and there are always plenty of volunteers to befriend and explore the country with. I made a lot of great friends while I was there and that alone made this experience worth it.

Elien

English teaching in an orphanage in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Volunteering with UBELONG was a great experience. My mentor helped me a lot and also the communication went very fluently. This made me feel very comfortable.

I absolutely loved my work as a teacher in the orphanage in Phnom Penh. Although the children have so little, and the resources in the school are reduced to an absolute minimum, it was great working over there. You learn to be creative with the things you have and you realize that that works out fine. Also, these children were so grateful and they gave me so much love in return that I didn't want to leave. We had such an amazing time, singing songs, playing games and, at the same time, learning English. My last day we sang Christmas songs because they love Christmas. Everyone was so excited, it was amazing to watch them being so happy.

The information about the projects given on the website should be more up to date
Adena

Professional and worthwhile program

My biggest concern in volunteering abroad was foreign logistics in the developing world. UBELONG takes care of that professionally and perfectly. For the (very reasonable) price I paid, I had my anxiety entirely assuaged. UBELONG walked me through every step of preparation with a personal mentor, organized transportation from the airport, arranged for me to live in their volunteer house in Phnom Penh, and set me up to volunteer at a local NGO. The living standards were above my expectations, and the vibe in the house was positive and fun. Being taken care of by professionals while you're somewhere so incredibly foreign is comforting, helpful, and now I believe, well worth the price. I would happily volunteer through UBELONG again.

Jarusha

Teaching English in Cambodia

UBELONG provided me with an experience I would not have gotten had I simply travelled as a tourist. By connecting me with a local team, I was able to see life from a local's view and work closely with the Cambodian people. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience full of hard truths, amazing people, and incredible stories.

I believe the minimum 2 week commitment may be too short of a time to really adjust, settle in, and figure out how you can be of help. I wish there was some sort of set curriculum that could be followed by any volunteer so they could jump in at any time and know where the children were at in their learning. With so many volunteers coming through the school, I worry about how much progress is actually made.
Jeannie

UBELONG review

I was glad I chose to sign up with UBELONG for my first volunteering abroad project., because it gave me a good experience, both before and after the project. The information contained on the website helped to give a glimpse of what to expect in the project, along with the many reviews online which allowed me to be at ease and trust the organisation and placement I was going to have. What also helped was the enthusiasm of the team in introducing the project and offering help and advice prior to starting the project, even after the project. It was a valuable experience for me.

Laura

UBELONG allowed me to do a great, unique and safe travel by having an impact.

UBELONG is perfect to go abroad: it offers a lot of different opportunities and once you've decided to go with them, they attribute you a person who will follow you and help you to prepare your journey, who makes sure everything is going well when you are there and who keep in touch when you come back.

Clémence

Volunteering in Cambodia

So many beautiful encouters !
Some of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen ; a hike in the jungle ; a Khmer style photoshoot ; a welcome dinner with spiders, crickets and snakes ; an afternoon with éléphants ; Khmer lessons with a tuktuk driver ; a natural shower at Angkor Wat temple (sweet rainy season...) ; a gymnastic session on the backyard's floor at the orphanage... And also looooots of laughter !
This volunteering summer was probably the best summer I've ever spent !

Maybe try to see with the placements where the need is, so that the volunteers could be better prepared at the begining of their programm. If I already knew before coming what I was exceped to do, I could have brought so many games and stuff from home !
Tuomas

UBELONG Microfinance in Cambodia

UBELONG has an extensive range of programs around the world, and deservedly raving reviews. They understand local conditions and give full support before, during, and after the placement. I would definitely go with them again, and recommend their reliable and welcoming services to anyone thinking about volunteering.

More detailed information on the actual project (like the history of organisation and information on its operation) would have been appreciated, so that learning could have started beforehand. However it is normal that the outflow of information from an organistaion in a developing country is patchy at best.

About UBELONG

Most Affordable - Trusted by Thousands - Real Impact

--> Pick from 100+ projects in education, caregiving, conservation, medical and more
--> Go to Africa, Asia, Latin America & Europe