Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Fiji

"The Sunset Spot"
My class
My class
Bull Sharks

Projects Abroad has been providing volunteer placements abroad since 1992. In Fiji volunteers are involved in Childcare Work, Teaching, Conservation & Environment, and Culture & Community. Our volunteers will have a direct impact on the local community through service projects arranged and coordinated by expect in-country staff.

Take this opportunity to volunteer in Fiji! It's an experience you will cherish forever!

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from our local staff
  • Gain practical international experience and build up your credentials for your resume
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Help us Preserve & Save the Amazon Rainforest in Peru!

🌍 Discover the award-winning Taricaya Ecological Reserve ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 Available from 1 to 52 weeks

Wake up to the sounds of the jungle & explore the beauty of the Amazon rainforest. On our rainforest conservation program, you'll work with our team of experts to help rehabilitate wild animals & preserve this unique ecosystem for future generations.

Discover more & Apply!

Tessa

Couldn’t recommend enough

Such an amazing experience! This was my first trip by myself so far away from home but I would do it all over again if I could! From how to pack your bags to booking your flights.. Projects Abroad does it all and the support it provided is like nothing else. Looking back on the experieence the only thing I would change is, the length of time I spent there. I spent 3 weeks in Fiji and flew to Australia for another 3 weeks straight after. If I could do it all over again I would stay a month, or two months, maybe even three. This experience has brought out the best in me and I will always treasure that. Thank you Projects Abroad and all the staff over in Fiji. This experience has meant the world to me and I am so so grateful for everything he have taught me <3

Enjoy every single second. Completely submerge yourself in the culture and don’t be afraid.
Keep a notebook and write something in it every day about what you saw, felt, heard, tasted etc.
Be grateful xx
Becky

Best 4 weeks of my life

I went to Fiji to take part in the shark conservation project. Once arriving I met some of the most amazing people and had the experience of a lifetime! Getting to scuba dive twice a week was amazing and seeing wildlife such as turtles and sharks is something I’ll never forget! Also at the project you complete other take such as helping out in the mangrove nursery and then when they’re big enough, planting them in communities. Shark tagging is another thing that is done once a week as it aims to help track the location of sharks so we know which areas need protecting the most. At the weekends there is time to go off and explore the other island or the main island so there is plenty to do and to see when not on the project. Overall I recommend this project and company as this is the second project I’ve done and I’ve loved them both so much!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Im Fiji a local drink they have is Kava which they have during their ceremonies. It makes your mouth go numb and your lips tingle and there’s nothing like it in the UK
Carla

Life Changing!

My son and my niece (both 16yo) went to Fiji with Projects abroad and were in love about everything and I can tell how important was the program for their development. I had the opportunity to meet them during the program and saw how enthusiastic they were about learning and working there.
For them, the high lights were of course singing with the sharks. All the process that ended in the diving were great: the classes, the instructors and the equipments. In second place they say it was visiting the village and living as a “local” for a day.
As a mother I felt they were in a safe and positive environment and at the same time being able to explore the local Culture and nature. They didn’t want to leave! Now are planning on going to Belize next

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
For some folks food can be an issue while in Fiji. So go prepared and open minded to try different flavors.
Evie

Life changing

My experience with projects abroad was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. I loved the staff so much, I felt like I could talk to them about anything and they were there for me. The food was delicious, and everything was clean and beautiful. The work we did was fun and rewarding. Planting mangroves, shark dives, dropping Bruvs, survey dives, beach clean ups, building a foot path for a local school, tagging sharks, and teaching at a local school were some of the wonderful things we did. The other volunteers were kind and I found a few life long friends among them. My weekends were one of the highlights of the trip for me because I found a family on another island I visited. I adore everyone there and will be visiting them again. I wrote my college essay about my experience. I loved every second and wish I could go back there every day.

More shark dives and the data we collect to make Beqa lagoon a MPA (marine protected area) could also be displayed to the volunteers in a more visible way, currently it is a little theoretical.
Sam

Shark Conservation

Easily one of the most amazing experiences of my life! It was great fun and I made friends from all over the world. The locals we friendly and there is so much to see on the islands, we all learnt alot and I don't think anyone could forget there time there.

We were never short on things to do for the project and special activities were also arranged like talks from wwf spokes people, local dancing lessons and trips into villages and schools. The staff were all enthusiastic and happy to talk to you about what was going on and the dive tean were funny and always up for a laugh while also being very Profesional and keeping all divers under their care safe and happy.

I would love to go back again and would recommend this project to anyone who wants a new adventure!

Do everything you can, never miss any opportunity you are offered! Make a list of thing you want to try while you're there and invite other people to come along
LUCA THOMAS

AN INCREDIBLE AND UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE

Hi everyone, my name is Luca and I am a young 19 year old who lived an unforgettable adventure last summer that has changed many of my certainties.
I left Parma to go to the other side of the world, literally, to the Fiji Islands where I spent 5 weeks with the project of environmental conservation and protection of sharks managed by Project Abroad.
The organization of the pre-departure run by the project staff, the personal online page that gave me all the answers and dedicated phone calls helped me to prepare well for this adventure, maybe even too much since my parents didn't miss a single line of the recommended material finding myself so super equipped with everything.
The start saw me ready, equipped and a little anxious about what was waiting for me but full of energy and curiosity.
On arrival I found assistance at the airport for the first necessities and I was escorted to the bus stop that would take me along the last leg of my journey to get to the Pacific Harbor project site.
The beginning, like all the beginnings I believe, found me a bit out of phase with 11 hours of time zone to dispose of, lots of people to meet between staff and other volunteers, spaces to explore rules to learn, different food to try.
The first impact was strong, the atmosphere of the place immediately infected me and the voices around me told me about all those countries of origins that seemed to me so many: China, America, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, England, Japan and others.
The first phase of the project was the achievement for me of the diving license and already here I can say that I discovered what I hope will remain a great passion for my whole life, I fell in love with the marine world, the thrill of diving, the possibility to discover incredible things and fantastic animals at each dive.
It seems to be in another world completely alien but indescribable, some have had problems with the first approach to the diving experience, but for me it was as if I had always done it, no fear or hesitation, just calm and serene wonder .
At the beginning of the journey that led me to choose this experience, I was thinking only of doing something in the scientific field that would help me to know and understand better what I wanted for my future path of university studies, I was perplexed and a little worried about the part of volunteering in the villages or schools, on the environmental part, worried about finding myself living in an area so different from the protected and comfortable one of my house.
I could not have been more mistaken, certainly I do not want to say that it was all rosy, but the knowledge that with my hard work I was helping to preserve this wonderful environment, I helped people who welcomed us with joy, always cheerful but smiling above all really grateful for everything we did, it made me feel useful and important.
Of course I also experienced unpleasant situations such as missing the initial briefing, due to the change in my arrival flight, group punishments without my real responsibilities that penalized me in the dives, rudeness of some volunteers who, although not signing up, got meals and took part in them, filling the plates and leaving the regularly marked ones without dinner, but in conclusion the positive aspects were so many exceeding by far the negative ones.
I have made friends that I hope will last over time with wonderful people from all over the world, I discovered what I can do and in some cases what my limits are, I discovered in myself an immense love for the marine world and the environment that inspired me and made me realize important things about my future university career and about who I would like to become in the working world, I lived in a world and a culture very different from mine but full of charm and interest.
In short, I changed, matured and I had a great time doing it.
My goal for this last school year that begins ... to save in order to return in the summer to live another experience like this in another part of the world!

Veerle

Shark Conservation Program

I was a volunteer on the Shark Conservation Program in Fiji for six weeks during summer 2019. It was something I had been looking forward to for a very long time. I hoped it would be as great as I pictured it in my mind, I can tell you now... it was even better.
First, the program itself: you have a fun filled week with loads of different activities that help the environment. You work in mangroves, go on shark tagging trips, process data, have cultural experiences and of course you go diving in one of the most beautiful locations you will ever see.
Second, the staff: the project's staff is amazing. Every one of them is not only very skilled at what they do, but also extremely kind. They listen to your needs and you can always come to them when you have a question.
Third, the other volunteers: these people will become like your family. Because you spend so much time together, it only takes a little while for you to become very close. There are a lot of activities that you can do together in the weekend and nights.
Fiji is an amazing place to be and this project is absolutely amazing. I would recommend it to everyone with an interest in diving and conservation.

Just go for it.
Put your best effort into everything you do at this project. This way you will get the most out of it. It will truly be amazing.
Astrid

Holiday school teaching in Fiji

In the beginning i was kind of anxious traveling alone to the other side of the world for three weeks to do a project working in a holiday school.

But when i got there and met my host family every anxious thought went away. They were so nice and so where the staff members. I cant describe who much fun i had during the workshop hours with the staff and during the weekend with friends.

One of the main thing i liked was that the projects i worked on where in a school where other volunteers were as well. As well as that my project was only from 9 am to 2 pm and after that we had loads of free time.

Teaching in the holiday school did have a big impact on me, i was teaching children from the age of 10 and 11 but you can see how undereducated they are where you compare it to my country.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I dont think i would change anything, the only thing i can think of is to go for a longer amount of time. I found that three weeks was way too short.
Sophie

Volunteer trip to Fiji

I travelled to Fiji for two weeks and lived and volunteered in a local village there. I was 16 years old at the time and so for me to travel overseas by myself, live with another family and being immersed in a new culture was overwhelming and equally exciting. Projects Abroad were absolutely incredible with making me feel at home, answering any questions I had before and during my trip and making me feel safe and secure. My experience in the village was (as cheesy as it sounds) completely life-changing. I came away with so much perspective on different cultures and people, I built my own confidence and independence, met some amazing people, challenged myself and was able to help people and make a difference. Projects abroad were really good at providing lots of information before I left and made me feel reassured. I would definitely recommend everyone to complete a volunteer experience like mine at some point in your life. I was amazed at what it can teach and show you.

Take all the opportunities you are offered, get to know people from other countries and cultures, immerse yourself in every aspect of a new culture, challenge yourself and most of all try and remain positive and optimistic.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Sophie,

It sounds like you had a very transformative experience on our High School programme in Fiji. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about it. It can be a daunting experience heading overseas for the first time by yourself. I’m glad our local team in Nadi were able to support you throughout your stay, and that you felt safe and secure. They are such a dedicated group of staff, who do a fantastic job of looking after all our volunteers.

You’ve got some great advice for future volunteers. You never really know what opportunities and experiences might arise when you’re traveling. It’s best to keep an open mind and throw yourself into all that comes your way.

The High School programmes are a great first step in what is hopefully a lifetime of exploration and adventure. You might like to look at returning to Fiji once you have finished school on one of our Flexi programmes, or you could opt to set off on a new adventure in a different destination entirely!

Thanks again,

Brett Jones
Senior Project Expert | Programme Development Officer
Projects Abroad Australia & New Zealand

Loulou

An incredible experience

I spent four weeks in a Pacific Harbour, Fiji as part of a small volunteer group focusing on the conservations of sharks and marine life in the area. Through this program, I got my PADI open water scuba diving license and was able to take part in survey dives, where we would go down as a team with slates and write down all the fish, sharks, rays, and any other interesting creatures we saw. The water was so clear that you could see divers 10 m under water from the deck of the dive boat. It was incredible to get so close to sharks and feel completly safe, the whole diving experience was very surreal to me as a first time diver.
Diving was not the only thing we did in this program however, we would work in the mangrove nursery, learning about the enviroment and the role we play in helping it, we would help out in the community by building public gardens and painting community centers. We also had some free time to ourselves in which we would explore the island. My favourite things I did on weekends included hiking up Mt. Koribaba, exploring the produce markets in Suva, and hosting dinner parties with my friends in the kitchen of our apartment.
This project was really the right amount of work and play. I made lifelong friends from all around the world and got to do amazing things like cliff jumping, rope swinging, and swimming in the sureal, clear ocean, but I also worked hard and felt like my work made a difference. I can honestly say I wouldn't trade this experience for the world and I hope to return to Fiji again someday soon.

I dont think they should let anyone go for less that 4 weeks. I did 4 weeks and it was too short!
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Lou Lou, thank you for leaving a great review!

So glad to hear you had a such a great time AND you managed to get a qualification out of your experience too - What a bonus! I have always heard how clear the water is over there, great to hear you confirm that - I will need to make a trip now :)

Woah, that is a lot of activities - we always try to make sure all volunteers have the best time possible! I am sure the local community must really love the work you and the team completed on the nursery, all the building and painting you did.

Well, a great time, a great qualification, lots of activities, life long friends made... and you hosted dinner parties?! Perfect trip by the sounds of it.

I am sure everyone will very much look to welcome you back! You can bring a friend and show off your dinner hosting skills! Also, If you liked the conversation style project so much, we do also a really cool conversation project in Galapagos too, you check it out!

All the best from us all at Projects Abroad,

Happy New Year!

Caleb

Projects Abroad - Community Manager

Alexandra

Shark Conservation

The program in Fiji was one of the best things I have ever done. The staff were so supportive right from the start!
The program itself is not as shark based as I would have hoped but the studies that get conducted there are very beneficial to the community and future of Fiji oceans. A lot of work is done with the mangroves which makes a huge difference with the protection of the shores of Fiji and providing a nursery habitat for juvenile shark and fish species.
I would recommend staying for about 6 weeks - I stayed 3 weeks and found it was not enough to get a true taste of all parts of the program as getting my advanced open water and learning species etc so I could collect data took up a lot of time. I believe the price plateaus out accordingly anyway so it doesn't cost that much extra :)
I am vegan and the food they provided was awesome and there was always enough! At the beginning they weren't making enough as there were a fair few vegans and vegos but once we mentioned it they made more instantly!
The shark dive I had was absolutely amazing and considered in the top 5 best shark dives in the world!
I loved my experience and cannot wait to go back for longer!

More honesty with how many sharks you may interact with and see. It is variable though because they don't know how many you may see when diving etc.
Nichole

The trip of a lifetime!

This past May I was given the opportunity to travel to Fiji for 3 weeks. On this trip I was place in a care project in Lautoka, Fiji. I worked in a kindergarten where I helped the teachers teach the alphabet, numbers, and English. The teachers welcomed me with open arms and the students were excited to learn! There were also other volunteers at the same school as me. This was comforting because they were in a new environment just like me and had to adjust too. All the volunteers get very close and become your best friends while on your trip! You walk to school together, hang out after school together, and get to travel the country together. To this day I still talk to the volunteers that came to be my friends while on this trip.
While on this trip, I was also place with a host family. My host family were the nicest people I have ever met. They welcomed me and treated me like one of their own. I now consider them my family across the Pacific.
Fiji is a beautiful country with wonderful people. I wish I could have stayed longer because I only got to experience a fraction of what Fiji has to offer. During the week I was able to experience Fiji through the eyes of a local, and on the weekends through the eyes of a tourist. Not many people can say they have done that. The friends I made and the people I encountered while on my trip have a special place in my heart forever. If I was ever given an opportunity like this again I would do it in a heartbeat!

Volunteering in Fiji

I had never volunteered (except an overseas mission trip) abroad or visited the beautiful land of Fiji before my experience last month. I had visited over 12 countries, but it's a completely different experience than being a tourist. Volunteering with Projects Abroad gave me the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the Fijian culture. My host family always went above and beyond to make sure I was well fed, safe, comfortable, and happy. Projects Abroad connected me with a special education school in Nadi that welcomed me with open arms. As a speech therapy student getting my Master's degree, I was able to have hands-on experience working with the precious kids at the school while simultaneously conducting research for my thesis. I made amazing friendships and I've loved staying connected with everyone through Facebook. The Projects Abroad staff in Fiji, especially the country director, will amaze you with their support!

Kelsey

An Amazing Opportunity

I began this project with an open-mind because I was new to traveling independently and I had no idea what to expect or what I would get out of this new experience. Right away, I came into the project feeling so comfortable with the older volunteers welcoming me in. The first day that I arrived was on the weekend so I was incredibly lucky to see Finding Dory in theaters with my new friends. The staff members were great too in a way that I felt very comfortable and safe with them throughout my whole trip. They were very intelligent, relatable, and humble so it was easy to become friends with them too. The project itself was incredible with survey dives two days a week and then having the ability to go into villages and talk to the locals. The shark dives were incredible and a once-in-a-life time experience. I whole-heartedly recommend this project to everyone even if you may have to step out of your comfort zone. During the project I felt 100% safe and the staff at the dive shop made me feel especially safe during the shark dive surrounded by 50 bull sharks which may seen pretty ironic to some.

Maybe just update the packing list because there are various and extra items that are unnecessary.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Kelsey!
Having our volunteers feel safe is certainly are number one priority (even when you are indeed surrounded by sharks!) We are glad to learn you enjoyed your experience both during your project and on your free time! Thank you for sharing!

Lucy

Project's Abroad Shark Conservation Project Fiji

This was the experience of a lifetime. I came in not expecting anything and left with incredible memories that I will never forget. Diving with the bull sharks was amazing and the diving team, Beqa Adventure Divers, knew exactly what they were doing. You always felt safe and each staff member truly cared about you. The people of Fiji were so kind and friendly. The staff members at Projects Abroad were very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to everyday work. They truly cared for every volunteer and were passionate about the project which made you love it that much more. The cook, Uni, was incredible and would be sure to meet everyones dietary needs whether they be vegan or vegetarian. All of the staff members were amazing and I have built relationships with them and the volunteers that will last a life time. They make sure to immerse you well into the Fijian culture which is a very important part in volunteering abroad. This project is highly respected by the locals because of this. You had 2-day weekends to do whatever you wanted, traveling around Fiji which was also very nice. Even on days were there was no diving, they always kept you occupied in doing your part in marine conservation.

They were very organized, I cannot think of anything they would need to improve.