Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Fiji

Projects Abroad has been providing volunteer placements abroad since 1992. In Fiji volunteers are involved in Orphanage Work, Medicine & Healthcare, Teaching, Conservation & Environment, and Culture & Community. Our volunteers will have a direct impact on the local community through service projects arranged and coordinated by expect in-country staff.

Take this opportunity to volunteer in Fiji! It's an experience you will cherish forever!

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from our local staff
  • Gain practical international experience and build up your credentials for your resume
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Alexandra

Shark Conservation

The program in Fiji was one of the best things I have ever done. The staff were so supportive right from the start!
The program itself is not as shark based as I would have hoped but the studies that get conducted there are very beneficial to the community and future of Fiji oceans. A lot of work is done with the mangroves which makes a huge difference with the protection of the shores of Fiji and providing a nursery habitat for juvenile shark and fish species.
I would recommend staying for about 6 weeks - I stayed 3 weeks and found it was not enough to get a true taste of all parts of the program as getting my advanced open water and learning species etc so I could collect data took up a lot of time. I believe the price plateaus out accordingly anyway so it doesn't cost that much extra :)
I am vegan and the food they provided was awesome and there was always enough! At the beginning they weren't making enough as there were a fair few vegans and vegos but once we mentioned it they made more instantly!
The shark dive I had was absolutely amazing and considered in the top 5 best shark dives in the world!
I loved my experience and cannot wait to go back for longer!

More honesty with how many sharks you may interact with and see. It is variable though because they don't know how many you may see when diving etc.
Nichole

The trip of a lifetime!

This past May I was given the opportunity to travel to Fiji for 3 weeks. On this trip I was place in a care project in Lautoka, Fiji. I worked in a kindergarten where I helped the teachers teach the alphabet, numbers, and English. The teachers welcomed me with open arms and the students were excited to learn! There were also other volunteers at the same school as me. This was comforting because they were in a new environment just like me and had to adjust too. All the volunteers get very close and become your best friends while on your trip! You walk to school together, hang out after school together, and get to travel the country together. To this day I still talk to the volunteers that came to be my friends while on this trip.
While on this trip, I was also place with a host family. My host family were the nicest people I have ever met. They welcomed me and treated me like one of their own. I now consider them my family across the Pacific.
Fiji is a beautiful country with wonderful people. I wish I could have stayed longer because I only got to experience a fraction of what Fiji has to offer. During the week I was able to experience Fiji through the eyes of a local, and on the weekends through the eyes of a tourist. Not many people can say they have done that. The friends I made and the people I encountered while on my trip have a special place in my heart forever. If I was ever given an opportunity like this again I would do it in a heartbeat!

Volunteering in Fiji

I had never volunteered (except an overseas mission trip) abroad or visited the beautiful land of Fiji before my experience last month. I had visited over 12 countries, but it's a completely different experience than being a tourist. Volunteering with Projects Abroad gave me the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the Fijian culture. My host family always went above and beyond to make sure I was well fed, safe, comfortable, and happy. Projects Abroad connected me with a special education school in Nadi that welcomed me with open arms. As a speech therapy student getting my Master's degree, I was able to have hands-on experience working with the precious kids at the school while simultaneously conducting research for my thesis. I made amazing friendships and I've loved staying connected with everyone through Facebook. The Projects Abroad staff in Fiji, especially the country director, will amaze you with their support!

Kelsey

An Amazing Opportunity

I began this project with an open-mind because I was new to traveling independently and I had no idea what to expect or what I would get out of this new experience. Right away, I came into the project feeling so comfortable with the older volunteers welcoming me in. The first day that I arrived was on the weekend so I was incredibly lucky to see Finding Dory in theaters with my new friends. The staff members were great too in a way that I felt very comfortable and safe with them throughout my whole trip. They were very intelligent, relatable, and humble so it was easy to become friends with them too. The project itself was incredible with survey dives two days a week and then having the ability to go into villages and talk to the locals. The shark dives were incredible and a once-in-a-life time experience. I whole-heartedly recommend this project to everyone even if you may have to step out of your comfort zone. During the project I felt 100% safe and the staff at the dive shop made me feel especially safe during the shark dive surrounded by 50 bull sharks which may seen pretty ironic to some.

Maybe just update the packing list because there are various and extra items that are unnecessary.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Kelsey!
Having our volunteers feel safe is certainly are number one priority (even when you are indeed surrounded by sharks!) We are glad to learn you enjoyed your experience both during your project and on your free time! Thank you for sharing!

Lucy

Project's Abroad Shark Conservation Project Fiji

This was the experience of a lifetime. I came in not expecting anything and left with incredible memories that I will never forget. Diving with the bull sharks was amazing and the diving team, Beqa Adventure Divers, knew exactly what they were doing. You always felt safe and each staff member truly cared about you. The people of Fiji were so kind and friendly. The staff members at Projects Abroad were very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to everyday work. They truly cared for every volunteer and were passionate about the project which made you love it that much more. The cook, Uni, was incredible and would be sure to meet everyones dietary needs whether they be vegan or vegetarian. All of the staff members were amazing and I have built relationships with them and the volunteers that will last a life time. They make sure to immerse you well into the Fijian culture which is a very important part in volunteering abroad. This project is highly respected by the locals because of this. You had 2-day weekends to do whatever you wanted, traveling around Fiji which was also very nice. Even on days were there was no diving, they always kept you occupied in doing your part in marine conservation.

They were very organized, I cannot think of anything they would need to improve.
Guillaume

decevant

Il y aurait beaucoup de choses à dire sur cette mission qui au travers de sa présentation semble des plus excitantes. Pour ceux qui seraient tentés par l’aventure, il me semble important de vous préciser quelques détails, ayant moi-même été tenté par cette regrettable expérience.
Tout d’abord les requins (puisqu’il s’agit bien là de notre préoccupation), pour faire court, ils seront rares. Une seule plongée sera réalisée pour les voir de près, sans qu’hélas, cela n’ait quoi que ce soit de scientifique, dans la mesure où il ne s’agit que de shark feeding… Aie… Généralement cela se fait sous l’encadrement d’un groupe touristique local spécialisée dans l’accompagnement de touristes sans expériences plongeant comme des casseroles. Pour ce qui est du reste, le marquage des bébés se fait par rotation ( chacun ne passant en moyenne qu’une fois durant son séjour), l’identification des requins se fait malheureusement sur papier ou devant un documentaire National geographic, l’installation des caméras en profondeur ne fait aucunement partie des prérogatives des volontaires…, la collecte des signaux acoustiques reste un grand mystère, le comptage des pêches accidentelles (en 1 mois n’eut jamais lieu, autre mystère…), quand aux travaux de lutte contre le trafic d’ailerons, ne vous imaginez pas faire une mission du niveau du sea sheperd.
Les travaux de reforestation de la mangrove occuperont 80% de votre temps, à savoir planter des graines dans des pots. Le bilan est triste et maigre. Au final, Project abroad ayant son siège en Angleterre, toute réclamation finira oubliée à travers de longs échanges de mails restés sans suite.. Ce projet est, d’avis modeste de plongeur professionnel, très fortement déconseillé.
Enfin pour ce qui est du reste, à savoir la nourriture, l’hébergement et autres activités, les mots n’ont pas encore été inventés pour pouvoir le définir comme il se devrait. A bon entendeur…

No, I don't recommend
Courttani

Shark Conservation in Fiji

I had a fantastic time in Fiji! Swimming with Sharks is even more amazing than I thought it would be. I was very satisfied with Projects Abroad. The staff was well organized, intelligent, and very helpful. I learned so much on this trip and had so many great experiences. The other volunteers were fun and friendly. I really feel that the work Projects Abroad is doing in Fiji is making a difference. The data we collected on dives and while tagging is actually being used, and the nursery is growing hundreds and hundreds of mangroves to be planted. They plan to make it the biggest mangrove nursery in the world. Volunteering while you travel is an awesome experience because you get to have all kinds of amazing experiences while making a difference in the world. Projects Abroad is also involved in the community which gives you the unique opportunity to experience the local culture first-hand. Not something normal tourists get to experience. I highly recommend Projects Abroad for your next adventure, or even your first!

Sophie

Shark Conservation in Fiji!

The Projects Abroad Fiji Shark Conservation Program was the best experience i've ever had. Right when I got off the plane the staff was there to great me and continue with a town introduction and lunch. The staff were incredibly interested and knowledgeable in the field, and supportive throughout every part of the program. The staff planned our everyday activities very well and was with us at all times and was there if we had any problems. The dive shop we went through were some of the best around. The equipment was sound and the place wasn't sketchy at all. You quickly become close with the other volunteers and have a great time with your new friends.
I absolutely loved and will always remember experience and plan to go back soon.

Its a tad cold, so just bring some warm clothes if you go from may-august.
Alyssa

Fiji Shark Conservation- An experience of a lifetime

The Projects Abroad Fiji Shark Conservation Program was an amazing experience from start to finish. The staff were supportive and helpful before, during, and after my journey.
Each day I was greeted with the warm faces of other passionate volunteers and friendly staff all ready for a day of hard but fun work. We were either preparing for dives, community outreach, or other activities such as planting mangroves that all contribute to shark conservation. Dive days were always my favorite because people would wake up energized and excited for the day. The atmosphere was always cheery and bright because everyone was so excited to get in the water. The staff were always supportive and encouraging but also effective in teaching us necessary work methods and techniques. Diving was new to me but I was trained well by the dive center in Pacific Harbour and my training continued each day in the water with the other volunteers and Projects Abroad staff.
I would recommend this project to anyone passionate about conservation and saving our marine habitat.

Chelsea

Nutrition Project

A spur of the moment decision to volunteer led me to find Projects Abroad and a nutrition project in Fiji. I spent a few days researching different organizations. Many were appealing, however, Projects Abroad seemed to be a very reputable organization that had nearly everything that I was looking for.
From my initial submission of the application I was receiving emails and assistance on how to efficiently finish the other requirements. With the guidance of a volunteer advisor I was assisted on the application process, all of the required documentation, flights and itinerary, visa questions, travel insurance, as well as, general advise for travel.
I spent 4 weeks on the nutrition project. I took part in the early stages of the projects and was given the opportunity to experiments and implement programs. Although I was unable to make any major contributions to the project in terms of new ideas, I played a role in the existing program. Much of my time was spent going into the public schools around Nadi and providing free health checks to the teachers. This included taking and recording their name, age, height, weight, waist and hip measurements, blood pressure, and blood sugar readings. From there we would consult with them on their lifestyle and health and introduce them to the "kana vin aka/healthy eating challenge" and exercise programs.
My experience volunteering was so much more than just the project itself. There 4 weeks would not have been the same without the influence of my host family, the other volunteers, and the PA staff. I was so welcomed by my host family and was grateful for the experience and opportunity to learn about their culture. I was also glad to have met the other volunteers and I can now say that I have many new friends (from all over the world!). Vinaka vakalevu to the Projects Abroad organization and more importantly to the wonderful PA staff and host families of Nadi, Fiji.

Since I have left the program the biggest setback has been taken care of. A new country director has been hired! The only other problem that I encountered was relating to preparedness for the project. Specifically with the nutrition project it would have been nice to know that we were expected to come up new ideas (which is fantastic!) but for me, if I had known beforehand, I could have brainstormed prior to reaching Fiji rather than spending a few days trying to come up with programs.
Alexandra

Nutrition Project in Fiji

From the moment I stepped foot on the majestic island of Fiji, I knew I was going to have the most wonderful experience of my life!

While I was in Fiji, not only was I able to experience a new and exciting country and meet some incredible people, I was able to make an impact on a developing country. During my stay, Projects Abroad was very good about giving the volunteers plenty of time to explore Fiji. In the evenings and on weekends we were able to go to different islands, scuba dive, snorkel and even sky dive. The best part was, even when we were working, it was the time of our lives.

Seeing the locals during our health screenings, you could see the genuine appreciation. It was an amazing experience and I would do it again in a heart beat!!

The only thing I would change about this program, is splitting the volunteers up a little more evenly. There were a lot more volunteers in Nadi than in Lautoka so a lot of my friends in Lautoka felt like they were not included in the activities with the other volunteers.
Abigayle

Once in a lifetime

The best decision of my life was my semester off volunteering, and Projects Abroad made it so amazing. The staff in my country took me and all the other volunteers in and we felt like one big family. We have weekly meetings and dinners all together, then usually would go out after, and once a month we would do a Community Day and go out to a village or shelter or anywhere that needed help and just helped out... In my three months, I painted kennels at SPCA, went to a women and children's village on a holiday called Diwali, and built a fence in a village's farm to keep the pigs out. The best part was the people you got to meet while helping. They also place you in a school or whichever program you applied for (mine was a special needs school) and are there every step along the way, from meeting the other staff, to complains or concerns, or in some people's cases, a placement change. You're also placed in a host family, which I believe was the highlight of my whole placement. The families you get to meet and live with take you in and you really become a family member while you're there, and even still after you're gone! Another relationship you hold onto after you leave are the friends you make in other volunteers and natives of your country. Everyone has Facebook nowadays, so it's not hard to stay connected. One of my closest friends now, who I met in Fiji, is from Denmark, and we still talk every week, if not more! Volunteering really helped me grow and find myself while making life long friends in my staff, natives, and other volunteers! Really a once in a lifetime opportunity, and it's a easy one to get to with all the help you receive from Projects Abroad!

The only thing I would change was my own health. I went to the country being sick, and it did not fully go away until my second month or so there, which at times made it hard to enjoy and made me very homesick because I wanted my mom to take care of me... But that's what happens when you go to a different culture, your body has to adjust to it's surroundings, and mine just takes a while, sadly.
Amy

First time volunteer with Projects Abroad, loved it!

In July I started out on my first volunteer trip abroad, by travelling across the world to the South Pacific island of Fiji. Although I was initially apprehensive about travelling this far, I soon felt relaxed as I had a precise itinerary telling me which flight to catch and when. This had been arranged by the Projects Abroad travel team prior to my departure. As I arrived 24 hours later, I was greeted by two members of the Projects Abroad team who sorted out my visa there and then and arranged for a one night stay at a local host family. Here I met Kristina, the first local Fijian I had contact with. Straight away she was a hopeful indication towards the welcoming nature of the rest of the nation who I was yet to meet. The following morning, she woke up with me in the early hours and took me to the bus stop where we waiting, until the bus arrived. Here I started the four hour journey across the island to Suva, the countries capital city. Stepping off the bus I heard my name being called by Karishma, Projects Abroad staff member and friendly face. Karishma began my orientation around the surrounding areas and took me to my host home to meet my family.

With hugs and kisses my new "Auntie" and "Uncle" welcomed me into their family. They gave me a warm welcome party where I was quickly introduced to their Indian culture of using my hands when eating the warm roti and curry. This was a daily staple for my time in Fiji. The location of the house was close enough to school that I could walk, and a bus ride away from the capital. I shared a room with my Austrian roommate, as well as projects abroad being kind enough to allocate the same house to me and my travel friend from home. The house had everything I would need for my month. One important aspect of Fijian culture is that they like to make you feel comfortable, this includes feeding you three times your normal intake of food, which made me feel extremely comfortable.

I quickly got stuck into my project at a local primary school where I taught English to children from ages 5 to 16. I worked with slow readers and managed to graduate 14 children from my class, who now have the gift of reading. After a week in my placement staff members quickly asked me to cover their craft classes and P.E which gave me a taster of other areas of the curriculum. The most memorable lesson I taught was dance to 50 sixteen year olds. As a stereo player was non-existent, I played songs such as “Jai Ho” from my iPhone and improvised a Bollywood dance lesson. I think the smiles all around indicated the success. Staff from the school also invited me to social activities such as volleyball and cava sessions, which allowed me to really feel part of the team.

After a rainy first weekend in Suva, I quickly made myself known to other volunteers so that I could get in on their social plans! Following the advice to save the paradise island until the last weekend, I travelled to Safari Lodge in Nananu-I-Ri for the first trip away. Here I could snorkel and relax on the beach and think about the previous week. Every Thursday all volunteers would meet for a social meal and a workshop, followed by the weekly trip to Delaines, an Irish bar I where would stay and dance until closing time. Every week I asked for karaoke, which was granted on my leaving social. The final weekend I went to Leleuvia, the paradise island that dreams are made of. The serene coastlines and stunning white sands felt unreal as the electric blue fish darted around my feet. I looked out onto the sunset and felt had one of those moments where I appreciated the natural beauty of this part of the world. It was the perfect location for my last few days of my perfect trip.

To the Fijian people I thank them, for their generous nature despite having few material items. I thank them for being so friendly and happy, and having their priorities in the right order by watching out and helping each other. If I could give anybody considering volunteering with projects abroad, I would suggest they grab the opportunity with both hands and do not let go!

I would have stayed longer!
Erin

Amazing!

I had never traveled abroad before in my life, but this summer I decided to volunteer through Projects Abroad in Fiji. I had the opportunity to work at a school for special needs students while I was there for one month. The experience was absolutely amazing, the best experience of my life! Projects Abroad was also an amazing organization to work through. They are extremely supportive from the very first time you express interest in volunteering abroad. I wasn't positive where I wanted to go, but after talking multiple times with one of the Projects Abroad staff members via email I decided on Fiji. She was very honest about the advantages and disadvantages of each place. I decided on Fiji because the majority of the population speaks English. When I arrived in Fiji one of the staff members picked me up from the airport, brought me and introduced me to the host family I was living with, and then took me around the town to orient me to where I was living. The next day a staff member took me to my volunteer placement at the school and helped assist me in determining what I would do at the school and what my schedule would be. It was extremely helpful to have this to get started and oriented. The rest of the trip you are on your own, but the office is always close to your home location and you can stop by anytime. The staff members in the office gave me their personal cell phones and assured me to not hesitate to call at ANY time. This was also very reassuring. Every week the staff will put on a workshop for all the volunteers at the office so that all the volunteers can get together and learn about some things that would be helpful to use in our volunteer placements. We also had a social one night every week where all the volunteers go out for dinner together. It is not required that you do this, if you wanted to stay by yourself the whole trip you could, but I did not. My favorite times were getting together with all the other volunteers and getting to know such a diverse crowd. We worked Monday through Friday, although my placement was very lenient and would allow us days off if we wanted, and then we had the weekends off to do whatever we pleased. I would typically travel with other volunteers. My host family was awesome, I absolutely loved them. I had a host dad, mom, and brother who I am still in communication with via Facebook. One other volunteer also lived in the same home as I did and traveled to the same school with me. I would definitely recommend Projects Abroad, especially for the first time volunteering abroad, they are very good and quick about orienting you and helping you fit right in to the culture. The only thing I didn't like about projects abroad was the price. It was a very expensive trip and a large portion of the money went to the Projects Abroad organization itself. My host family did not get paid as much as I expected, especially considering they provided us with all of our meals, laundry, and living. Its a good organization to support, the money is helping the organization expand across the world, but it was overall a pretty expensive trip. But if I had the opportunity to do it again I would in a heartbeat!

The expense. The project is expensive and a large portion of the fees go to the organization itself, my host family was not paid as much as I expected they would be.
sera

best time of my life

well what else can i say? i just had the best time of my life so that after 2 month back home i just had to come back to fiji. the mentality n culture of fijians is just outstanding and i dont regret one single moment. the smile of the kids just brightens up your day and you meet awesome people from around the world. you just feel at home right away. you are welcomed with a bula and a big smile which warmth up your heart. you get to know the everyday life and additionally you can travel to the most beautiful beaches you can imagine. white sand, crytal clear water and best of it: you have it all to yourself! i cant wait to be back.... for my 4th time ;)

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...