Projects Abroad Volunteer Programs in Fiji

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Projects Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

My class
My class
"The Sunset Spot"
"The Sunset Spot"
Bull Sharks

Projects Abroad has been providing volunteer placements abroad since 1992. In Fiji volunteers are involved in Childcare Work, Teaching, Conservation & Environment, and Culture & Community. Our volunteers will have a direct impact on the local community through service projects arranged and coordinated by expect in-country staff.

Take this opportunity to volunteer in Fiji! It's an experience you will cherish forever!

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from our local staff
  • Gain practical international experience and build up your credentials for your resume
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Start Planning Next Year's Trip of a Lifetime..

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Shark Conservation Volunteering in Fiji

Dive in the stunning waters of the South Pacific and play a vital role in shark conservation efforts.

Volunteer with Children in Fiji

Help local kindergarten teachers and support early childhood education on the island of Viti Levu.

Community Volunteer Work in Fiji

Learn about Fijian life and culture by immersing yourself in daily village life.

Erik

Fiji-Nutrition

Project’s abroad Fiji is definitely something I would recommend to future travelers. Either spend a lot of time in Fiji as a volunteer, or have it as a part of your journey down under. The staff is wonderful, the people incredible nice and the nature amazing.

Fiji has everything a traveler could dream of. Beaches, waterfalls, cheap food, island tours, snorkeling, diving, hiking. You name it and Fiji probably have it.

The project is really giving you an insight in the community. You get to see homes of the Fijian people, see what they eat and how they go about their lives.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Erik,
I'm so glad to hear you had a rewarding experience on our Nutrition Project in Fiji. Your effort towards the project is greatly appreciated. We can't wait to have you back again with Projects Abroad.

Tessa

Couldn’t recommend enough

Such an amazing experience! This was my first trip by myself so far away from home but I would do it all over again if I could! From how to pack your bags to booking your flights.. Projects Abroad does it all and the support it provided is like nothing else. Looking back on the experieence the only thing I would change is, the length of time I spent there. I spent 3 weeks in Fiji and flew to Australia for another 3 weeks straight after. If I could do it all over again I would stay a month, or two months, maybe even three. This experience has brought out the best in me and I will always treasure that. Thank you Projects Abroad and all the staff over in Fiji. This experience has meant the world to me and I am so so grateful for everything he have taught me <3

Enjoy every single second. Completely submerge yourself in the culture and don’t be afraid.
Keep a notebook and write something in it every day about what you saw, felt, heard, tasted etc.
Be grateful xx
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Tessa,
I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time on Care project in Fiji. Thank you for the effort you put into the Care Project. It is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review. It really does help build the Projects Abroad Global Family. We hope to see you on one of our projects again!

Becky

Best 4 weeks of my life

I went to Fiji to take part in the shark conservation project. Once arriving I met some of the most amazing people and had the experience of a lifetime! Getting to scuba dive twice a week was amazing and seeing wildlife such as turtles and sharks is something I’ll never forget! Also at the project you complete other take such as helping out in the mangrove nursery and then when they’re big enough, planting them in communities. Shark tagging is another thing that is done once a week as it aims to help track the location of sharks so we know which areas need protecting the most. At the weekends there is time to go off and explore the other island or the main island so there is plenty to do and to see when not on the project. Overall I recommend this project and company as this is the second project I’ve done and I’ve loved them both so much!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Im Fiji a local drink they have is Kava which they have during their ceremonies. It makes your mouth go numb and your lips tingle and there’s nothing like it in the UK
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Becky,
Thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time away with us on Shark Conservation project in Fiji. Our staff and the local community really appreciate the time and effort that you invested into achieving our long term goals. You will be welcomed with open arms upon your return!

Carla

Life Changing!

My son and my niece (both 16yo) went to Fiji with Projects abroad and were in love about everything and I can tell how important was the program for their development. I had the opportunity to meet them during the program and saw how enthusiastic they were about learning and working there.
For them, the high lights were of course singing with the sharks. All the process that ended in the diving were great: the classes, the instructors and the equipments. In second place they say it was visiting the village and living as a “local” for a day.
As a mother I felt they were in a safe and positive environment and at the same time being able to explore the local Culture and nature. They didn’t want to leave! Now are planning on going to Belize next

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
For some folks food can be an issue while in Fiji. So go prepared and open minded to try different flavors.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Carl,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the High School Specials Shark Conservation project in Fiji. Your effort was not only appreciated by us but, by the local community. We look forward to having you on another project or Internship in the near future!

Evie

Life changing

My experience with projects abroad was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. I loved the staff so much, I felt like I could talk to them about anything and they were there for me. The food was delicious, and everything was clean and beautiful. The work we did was fun and rewarding. Planting mangroves, shark dives, dropping Bruvs, survey dives, beach clean ups, building a foot path for a local school, tagging sharks, and teaching at a local school were some of the wonderful things we did. The other volunteers were kind and I found a few life long friends among them. My weekends were one of the highlights of the trip for me because I found a family on another island I visited. I adore everyone there and will be visiting them again. I wrote my college essay about my experience. I loved every second and wish I could go back there every day.

More shark dives and the data we collect to make Beqa lagoon a MPA (marine protected area) could also be displayed to the volunteers in a more visible way, currently it is a little theoretical.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Evie,

Sam

Shark Conservation

Easily one of the most amazing experiences of my life! It was great fun and I made friends from all over the world. The locals we friendly and there is so much to see on the islands, we all learnt alot and I don't think anyone could forget there time there.

We were never short on things to do for the project and special activities were also arranged like talks from wwf spokes people, local dancing lessons and trips into villages and schools. The staff were all enthusiastic and happy to talk to you about what was going on and the dive tean were funny and always up for a laugh while also being very Profesional and keeping all divers under their care safe and happy.

I would love to go back again and would recommend this project to anyone who wants a new adventure!

Do everything you can, never miss any opportunity you are offered! Make a list of thing you want to try while you're there and invite other people to come along
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Samantha,
It sounds like you had an amazing time (I can’t say we're surprised!). Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with our global community. We’re so happy that you enjoyed Shark Conservation project in Fiji. We look forward to seeing you again on one of our projects or Internships!

LUCA THOMAS

AN INCREDIBLE AND UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE

Hi everyone, my name is Luca and I am a young 19 year old who lived an unforgettable adventure last summer that has changed many of my certainties.
I left Parma to go to the other side of the world, literally, to the Fiji Islands where I spent 5 weeks with the project of environmental conservation and protection of sharks managed by Project Abroad.
The organization of the pre-departure run by the project staff, the personal online page that gave me all the answers and dedicated phone calls helped me to prepare well for this adventure, maybe even too much since my parents didn't miss a single line of the recommended material finding myself so super equipped with everything.
The start saw me ready, equipped and a little anxious about what was waiting for me but full of energy and curiosity.
On arrival I found assistance at the airport for the first necessities and I was escorted to the bus stop that would take me along the last leg of my journey to get to the Pacific Harbor project site.
The beginning, like all the beginnings I believe, found me a bit out of phase with 11 hours of time zone to dispose of, lots of people to meet between staff and other volunteers, spaces to explore rules to learn, different food to try.
The first impact was strong, the atmosphere of the place immediately infected me and the voices around me told me about all those countries of origins that seemed to me so many: China, America, Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, England, Japan and others.
The first phase of the project was the achievement for me of the diving license and already here I can say that I discovered what I hope will remain a great passion for my whole life, I fell in love with the marine world, the thrill of diving, the possibility to discover incredible things and fantastic animals at each dive.
It seems to be in another world completely alien but indescribable, some have had problems with the first approach to the diving experience, but for me it was as if I had always done it, no fear or hesitation, just calm and serene wonder .
At the beginning of the journey that led me to choose this experience, I was thinking only of doing something in the scientific field that would help me to know and understand better what I wanted for my future path of university studies, I was perplexed and a little worried about the part of volunteering in the villages or schools, on the environmental part, worried about finding myself living in an area so different from the protected and comfortable one of my house.
I could not have been more mistaken, certainly I do not want to say that it was all rosy, but the knowledge that with my hard work I was helping to preserve this wonderful environment, I helped people who welcomed us with joy, always cheerful but smiling above all really grateful for everything we did, it made me feel useful and important.
Of course I also experienced unpleasant situations such as missing the initial briefing, due to the change in my arrival flight, group punishments without my real responsibilities that penalized me in the dives, rudeness of some volunteers who, although not signing up, got meals and took part in them, filling the plates and leaving the regularly marked ones without dinner, but in conclusion the positive aspects were so many exceeding by far the negative ones.
I have made friends that I hope will last over time with wonderful people from all over the world, I discovered what I can do and in some cases what my limits are, I discovered in myself an immense love for the marine world and the environment that inspired me and made me realize important things about my future university career and about who I would like to become in the working world, I lived in a world and a culture very different from mine but full of charm and interest.
In short, I changed, matured and I had a great time doing it.
My goal for this last school year that begins ... to save in order to return in the summer to live another experience like this in another part of the world!

Response from Projects Abroad

Hey Luca,
It was amazing to read and learn about your wonderful experience on our Shark Conservation project in Fiji. We hope to see you on another one of our projects; you’d be welcome back with open arms.

Veerle

Shark Conservation Program

I was a volunteer on the Shark Conservation Program in Fiji for six weeks during summer 2019. It was something I had been looking forward to for a very long time. I hoped it would be as great as I pictured it in my mind, I can tell you now... it was even better.
First, the program itself: you have a fun filled week with loads of different activities that help the environment. You work in mangroves, go on shark tagging trips, process data, have cultural experiences and of course you go diving in one of the most beautiful locations you will ever see.
Second, the staff: the project's staff is amazing. Every one of them is not only very skilled at what they do, but also extremely kind. They listen to your needs and you can always come to them when you have a question.
Third, the other volunteers: these people will become like your family. Because you spend so much time together, it only takes a little while for you to become very close. There are a lot of activities that you can do together in the weekend and nights.
Fiji is an amazing place to be and this project is absolutely amazing. I would recommend it to everyone with an interest in diving and conservation.

Just go for it.
Put your best effort into everything you do at this project. This way you will get the most out of it. It will truly be amazing.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Veerle,
Thank you for your brilliant review. It's warming to know that we are able to provide such beneficial experience. Your hard work and effort towards the Shark Conservation project in Fiji is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again on one of our projects or internships.