Volunteer in Ghana - Orphanage, AIDS Care, Teaching

Volunteer in Ghana - Orphanage, AIDS Care, Teaching

Children Orphanage Assistance Missions (Volta Region) (Western Region)
The children come from a variety of situations including loss of one or both parents, physical and sexual abuse, extreme poverty, and more suffering than many of us can imagine.

Many of these children have been denied the chance at an education as well as the basics for survival-food and shelter. The orphanages we support strive to provide a better future for some of the most vulnerable children in Ghana by providing love, food and informal education. As a volunteer, you will primarily assist with the daily care of the kids; including feeding babies, playing games, teaching songs, reading activities, creating arts & crafts projects and sharing your affection and attention with these wonderful children.

Many volunteers also get involved in repairs and painting as the facilities are in constant need of upkeep. Prior experience not necessary, volunteers should demonstrate patience, an open mind and a sense of compassion.Come prepared with ideas and be a creative self-starter who can handle situations where schedules do not exist. Teaching Program (Volta Region) (Western Region) Volunteers have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in Ghanaian rural communities through education. Based on government decree, all Children have the right to free, compulsory, universal basic education on all levels. We offer placement in pre-school, primary and secondary schools teaching math, science, geography, business education, computer training, English, art and music.
Africa » Ghana
Pre-departure Orientation Guide. Includes detailed travel, safety & cultural information and many tips that will make your trip planning easier.
Detailed Fundraising Guide that will help you raise the funds needed to travel, as well as provide donations to the project.

There isn't a maximum age limit! As long as you are in good health, then you are more than welcome to volunteer. Hope that helps!

monica
Washington st
Washington State University- Vancouver

Ghana Kasoa orphanage

From the time when I started thinking about volunteering abroad, over a year ago, and speaking to so many people who have done this type of work, I can now say what many of them said to me – that I received so much from this experience and am so happy that I did this, especially in Ghana. I was very thankful that I had a friend to join me, a very special experience we shared together. This experience, with the orphanage/refugee camp and with the host local family, made this time one that I hope many other people try. It will be with me for life.
I taught the kids stand-up yoga for their first time. They loved it and asked to do it just about every day. This was so special that I could introduce something new that they liked. Doing yoga with all of them, outside the school, and with the smaller group on the beach, was a memory I’ll always cherish.
It was wonderful to take two trips to visit five different different places in the Eastern Region and Cape Coast region. We also took a wonderful trip to Accra Arts & Crafts center. Such a diverse and amazing country. The driving and road conditions are like the best roller coaster ride you’ll ever have! I love that there was music everywhere you went, from morning until night!
The US staff were very helpful with all of my questions and needs preparing for this journey. I appreciated their timeliness in responding electronically. I felt very positive and prepared for this trip due to ABV’s support. I did a great deal of research with many similar organizations like them and I felt that I made the best decision. Thank you! After being in Ghana, I highly recommend that ABV advertise that more volunteers are very much needed in this country. They need much more help.

Shanell
California

Ghana Kasoa Orphanage

For anyone who is considering volunteering in Ghana. I can’t express enough how incredible of an experience it was, and how much I would encourage them to do it. As a volunteer you hope that you can change a life and give your help where it is needed. The amazing thing is the gift you get in return from the people you go to work with and for. You will learn about other ways of life and you learn about yourself in the process.
The accommodations provided by my host family were comfortable, private, safe and clean. From the morning greeting each day to the good night greetings in the evening. I felt part of the family. Everyday my host Lizzie, prepared a wonderful breakfast and dinner for me. It was beautiful and everything was laid out on the table and just waiting for me.
I felt completely safe and secure in my host family’s home. Not only did my room have a lock and key, but the home itself has a private gate security.
When I began seriously looking at volunteering in Africa and Ghana in particular, it was important to me that I use a nonprofit organization which passed on the financial contribution to the orphanage I would be volunteering with.
I would love to share my experience with other volunteers who are considering a journey to Ghana.

Janet
boston

Ghana Orphanage

When I first touched down in Accra and walked out of the airport I did not know what to expect or what the next 2 weeks would hold for me. I can honestly say in the short period of time I was able to get to spend time with a large amount of the children from the home, go out and really observe yet experience what the Ghanaian culture had to offer in Kpando and Accra. I went on this mission trip with the intentions on touching those I met but in reality they touched me in ways I could never describe. The experience was extremely humbling and it was amazing to compare a country that had very little but were the happiest in comparison to mine that is quite fortunate yet unappreciative and stressful. I enjoyed being careless and living life day by day. They taught me to appreciate all of my blessings and look at my glass as half full and never empty.
The host family was great. Mary did the best she could to accommodate our meals that were always very much on time (ironically) for 12pm lunch and 6pm dinner. I personally brought bars which I brought for breakfast and snacking. I felt very safe in my environment even when walking along at night I never feared for my safety in Kpando walking from the children's home to the host home.
The local ABV Coordinator was great as far as a volunteer and I enjoyed their company. The coordinator is a very passionate man and I admire how he puts his heart and soul into what he does. He is usually busy running around trying to keep all of their projects running as well with helping the locals in his community.
I was surprised the most with how approachable the people in the community were. Coming from Boston where people go about their day without greeting strangers which was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed the kids in the neighborhood most. They were so happy to see new faces and would randomly go up to me to hug me or greet me while I was walking and I love it.

AndreaC
texas

The trip was enlightening

I had a wonderful experience in Ghana. ABV handled everything and made me feel very safe and welcome in the Kpando. The host family was kind and welcoming, and truly enjoyed having us as their guests. The trip was enlightening in many ways and very fulfilling. I cannot wait to return and be with the beautiful people of Ghana again!
Use the packing list provided by ABV, it covers almost everything you need! A few things I would add: baby wipes, portable fans, and a small backpack. Also, consider bringing electrolyte replacements, such as Gatorade packs to mix with water, because the heat will dehydrate you very quickly! I would recommend going to the market in town on market days (every fourth day). It is a great place to buy delicious foods and unique souvenirs, and to experience the beautiful culture of Ghana. The market was one of my favorite places to visit! If you’re looking for a short trip, try traveling to the beautiful Wli Falls on the weekend. It was a 1-hour taxi ride away and made a great getaway.
My favorite memory was on the first day that we arrived to do wound care for an elderly woman with a chronic wound. She was so thankful that we had come to help her, and her husband actually lifted his hands and praised God for our being there. They were so grateful! This very humbling and rewarding experience truly made me feel like I was making a difference in her life.
Also, the children of Ghana truly made an impact on heart. I have many wonderful memories of their smiles and giggles!

Katherine
Montreal
University of Akron

Ghana Health Care Program

I could not have asked for any better customer service from Sarah Ehlers. She was very prompt and provided all of the accurate documentation whether it was receipts or information regarding our trip. Even after the trip, she made sure I was able to finalize last minute business between myself and the ABV Coordinator in Ghana.
I think the reason why this trip went so well was because we went into it with a very adventurous and flexible attitude. Only one of us had traveled internationally before traveling to Ghana. We honestly had no idea what we were getting ourselves into in regards to travel, culture, food and medical circumstances. We didn’t really know what specific type of medical supplies we needed to take. We weren’t told what we should wear until we got there…and by that point, there was very little about what we could do. For example, we all brought blue scrubs, because that is what we wear in the States. However, in Ghana, white is the color of healthcare providers. Also, I wish I was better prepared for the extreme heat.
Given I had never traveled outside of the United States, traveling to Ghana proved to be a major culture shock in more ways than one. The heat was incredible, the people were unbelievable. Everyone there exuded a relaxed nature, and everyone on my team agrees that the Ghanaians exhibited a level of generous hospitality unmatched by anyone anywhere. Traveling as a student, I was uncertain as to what sort of cases we would be seeing, and what type of circumstances we would find ourselves facing. However, through the guidance of Edem and his family, that skepticism quickly fell away as we dove into learning about the culture, meeting the locals, and providing care and education to those who would not otherwise have had the chance to learn about health and their bodies. As a students, I felt empowered to then return the education I was receiving overseas to the beautiful people of Ghana. We encountered many obstacles, such as limited supplies, and spiritual traditions that greatly minimized our ability to apply the necessary care. We were all able to take home a different aspect of learning, teaching and culture by the end of the week. My only regret was that this trip was in fact so short in length. Should there be a next time, I would aim for at least two weeks. Between the hospitality of Edem and his family, the helpfulness of the ABV staff in the States, and my team, I don’t see why we wouldn’t return in the near future.

It gets incredibly hot there. Especially during ‘power out’ every third night. I would have brought a battery powered fan for those nights.

Katharine
Akron, Ohio
University of Akron

Nursing Students in Ghana

Given I had never traveled outside of the United States, traveling to Ghana proved to be a major culture shock in more ways than one. The heat was incredible, the people were unbelievable. Everyone there exuded a relaxed nature, and everyone on my team agrees that the Ghanaians exhibited a level of generous hospitality unmatched by anyone anywhere. Traveling as a student, I was uncertain as to what sort of cases we would be seeing, and what type of circumstances we would find ourselves facing. However, through the guidance of Edem and his family, that skepticism quickly fell away as we dove into learning about the culture, meeting the locals, and providing care and education to those who would not otherwise have had the chance to learn about health and their bodies. As a student, I felt empowered to then return the education I was receiving overseas to the beautiful people of Ghana. We encountered many obstacles, such as limited supplies, and spiritual traditions that greatly minimized our ability to apply the necessary care. We were all able to take home a different aspect of learning, teaching and culture by the end of the week. My only regret was that this trip was in fact so short in length. Should there be a next time, I would aim for at least two weeks. Between the hospitality of Edem and his family, the helpfulness of the ABV staff in the States, and my team, I don’t see why we wouldn’t return in the near future.

calyart
New Jersey
University of Delaware

Great Experience

+/-

+ the people are so kind & you get a lot of interaction with them
+ it's relatively inexpensive, out of pocket, once you're there
+ everyone was so accommodating & worked hard to make sure we were comfortable
+ relaxed, not concerned with time or schedule = a lot of freedom to explore and do different things
+ genuine experience, you get to live like a local (as close as we can get, anyway)!
- not a ton to do (socially/adventure-wise), but see above... it all makes sense
- the food isn't the greatest, but they give you the best they have
- the timing (or lack there-of) was tricky for me (I'm American...)

I loved it... I can't quite explain it without going in-depth, but it was exactly what I was looking for and it opened my eyes in so many ways.

Jennifer
Indianapolis, IN

An amazing experience

Volunteering in Ghana has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to bike to nearby villages and provide wound care to our patients at their homes. This experience encouraged me to exercise critical thinking and problem solving skills, because it was our goal to determine what treatments would be most conducive for the patient's health, and their available resources. The kindness, welcoming hearts, and appreciation that each of our patients offered each volunteer, can not be described in words.

In the evenings, I spent my time either working with the drama club assisting local teens in creating drama programs for community outreach on various health topics, or working with the children and program directors of the orphanage. The youth of this community amazed me with their desire for life, and willingness to help others.

Walking into this experience, I heeded to the advice of volunteer alumni, and avoided any expectations. This was the best advice I could have received. Although I was very apprehensive prior to, and upon arrival, the nature of the Ghanian culture was to accept and treat visitors as family, which is how I felt my entire journey.

I expected that my biggest struggle would be the drastically different living accommodations than those of what we are accustomed to in America, however it wasn't. I chose to approach this experience respecting the cultural differences, and in a very short time I grew to appreciate them. I have taken more from this experience than I could have ever imagined, and pray that others will have the courage to do the same.

Although it is out of the programs control, If I could change one thing it would only be that Jessy and Edem had more help. They are doing such amazing things in the community, and are therefore constantly busy. I could see this being a problem for volunteers that are not expecting an independent experience (with support). I only hope that each volunteer realizes that our goal is to help while we are there, and aim to challenge their independence.

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all your