Volunteer Programs in La Ceiba, Honduras

Volunteer Programs in La Ceiba, Honduras

In La Ceiba there is a growing need for native English speakers to help students become a part of the growing hospitality industry. Volunteers teach English to children and young people attending primary and secondary schools in La Ceiba and its surrounding areas. These areas are very poor, and the schools lack native English-speaking volunteers. In this program, volunteers will help children learn the correct use of English words and master English grammar. A typical class averages about 30 students.

The Honduran culture is a blend of Latin America and a multi-ethnic blend of Mestizo, Amerindian, Black and Caucasian. This mix of people influences all aspects of the culture each bringing a unique blend to society. Our volunteer projects allow you to support the local children, at orphanages and primary schools, and work in a local hospital, HIV clinic or both.

North America » Honduras » La Ceiba
North America » Honduras
Project Types
Medical
Psychology
Sexual Health
The fees cover: Airport pickup and drop off, local orientation, host family, meals, local coordinator, a donation to our programs, please check our website for more details.

Spanish proficiency is not required if a volunteer will take language immersion lessons. The more experience you hope to gain from the program relies heavily on communication. If considering a Latin American location then Spanish is essential.

N
california
California

Dental program in Honduras

Volunteering to provide medical and dental care in La Ceiba Honduras was one of the most memorable and rewarding experiences of our lives, I volunteered with my father. The people there really need the care and the equipment that we donated. It was also rewarding for my father to be able to perform and teach some extremely useful oral & maxillofacial surgical procedures on the patients and doctors working in the clinics.
The local coordinator Rafael was extremely accommodating making sure we were well taken care of throughout the entire duration of our stay. He set us up with pre-medical and medical students as well as dentists in training who hung out with us most of the time and took us to fantastic places off the beaten path that you would never see as an average tourist. They went with us to fantastic restaurants and we ate some of the best local food to be found in La Ceiba... maybe even all of Honduras.
I would highly recommend doing this program in La Ceiba Honduras to anyone, students or professionals.

Skyler
Annapolis, VA
Gettysburg College

Honduras Medical Student Volunteer

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to volunteer in Honduras at the local hospital and clinic. Everyone in the ABV program really wants you to have the best experience possible. This program also allowed me to gain so much more hands-on experience than I would have been able to get in the U.S. I was able to take vital signs, assist in wound cleaning and help at a "health fair". I also observed C-sections and many other surgeries. All of the doctors were welcoming and thankful for our help. They were also willing to explain what they were doing and why. There is no doubt that I would recommend this program to anyone who is thinking about pursuing a career in the health care field.
Rafael was a wonderful host during my week in Honduras. He drove us to and from the hospital each day to ensure our safety and was always open to hearing our questions and concerns. I'm really grateful for everything he did to make sure I was having the best experience possible. This trip would not have been the same without him.

Linh
Saint Paul

The coordinator in Honduras was with me every step

I've done a similar trip in Guatemala with another program but it cannot compare to going through ABV. The coordinator in Honduras was with me every step of the way and cares that you are getting the most out of the program. As a result, I learned and saw so much that I wouldn't have been able to see as a volunteer in the U.S. I got to take vital signs, help out in wound care, and I learned to start IV leads and administer medications and vaccines. I got to witness live births and hear about the surgeries that other ABV volunteers witnessed. It was also cool to meet other volunteers also from ABV and hear about their experiences. What I loved most was learning from the doctors and nurses who enjoyed teaching us despite how busy they were and who had the patience to explain to us the whys and the hows. In the U.S., it's harder to find doctors who are willing to take that time of their days. Overall, it was an amazing 2 weeks and I was excited to share it with my family and friends.

Elisabeth
Sudbury

Honduras PreMed Internship

I gained so much hands on experience and saw so many medical cases during my pre-med program in Honduras. The doctors were more than happy to show us how to do sutures, catheters, vaccines and more. I did see cases and diseases I could only read about at home. At the hospital, I got to watch so many surgeries, deliveries and met so many different types of doctors. It is amazing how well they do with what they can with such little and limited resources. We also gave pets vaccinations and went to schools to educated people with an outreach healthcare program. I am so very thankful for the opportunities and all that I have learn. I could never have gotten this kind of experience at home (Canada), and this truly reinforced my path in the medical field. The Spanish lessons were good and very helpful. The neighborhood we lived in was very safe. They have two security guards that are circulating in the neighborhood 24/7. The house was located near the mall and a taxi anywhere in town was only 25lps (1.50USD). I did met so many amazing ABV volunteers from all over the world during my stay

Camilla
Saint Petersburg, FL

Incredible Honduras

This volunteer experience was one of the most incredible, yet most heart-breaking experiences of my life. The people in Honduras are so welcoming and appreciative of anything at all you can provide them and they love to share their culture. People can tell you all they want about what conditions are like in these countries, but you will never truly understand until you´ve seen and experienced it yourself. If you are a medical student, this is a wonderful opportunity to learn while helping at the same time. If you are a practicing professional, this is a wonderful opportunity to lend your expertise while also likely learning some new things (such as how to do more with less). I would highly recommend this program for anyone with a passion to help, but also willing to experience new things (both good and bad) that they never have before.
I went to La Ceiba as a pharmacist and so I spent the majority of my time in the pharmacy. I quickly realized that the prescriptions do not include key information that I am used to in the US in order to ensure it is safe and effective. For example, they do not include the dose (rather just say # of tabs), drug allergies, age, and weight (if a child). It is assumed that the doctor is always correct and the pharmacy staff does not double-check the appropriateness of the dose. This was difficult for me to see, in particular for the children because it is so easy to give an incorrect dose that may be toxic or ineffective. During my time in Honduras, I was able to gather needed information for each patient to ensure appropriateness of these prescriptions and adjust as needed, but knowing that this is usually not the case was hard to see.

Elizabeth
Sudbury, ON

Health Care Honduras

I am happy to have chosen this Non-Profit Organization and Honduras. I have gained so much hands on experience at the clinic and have seen so many medical cases during my pre-med program. The doctors were more than happy to show me how to do sutures, catheters, vaccines and more. I have seen cases and diseases I could only read about at home. At the hospital, I got to watch so many surgeries, deliveries and met so many different types of doctors. It is amazing how well they do what they can with such little and limited resources. We also gave pets vaccinations and went to schools to educated people with an outreach healthcare program.
The Spanish lessons were good and very helpful as well.
The neighborhood we live in was very safe. There are two security guards that are circulating in the neighborhood 24/7. We are located near the mall and a taxi anywhere in town is only 25lps (US$1.50). I met so many amazing ABV volunteers from all over the world during my stay.

Maggie
Pittsfield

I Love Honduras

My health care program in Honduras was so amazing! I made so many great friends and got to do things I never would in the United States. I did over 200 blood pressures, cleaned and dressed wounds, put on casts, removed stitches, put in stitches, watched births, c-sections and surgeries. This program receives many volunteers from A broader view, so we manage to go out on tours on the weekends and do things during the week like bbq, shopping at the market, dancing, and just hanging out on our free time.
I LOVED my host family! They spoke very good English and were very caring. They were always making sure we were okay and had everything we needed. The portions were so big at my host family’s house, but the food was excellent. Expect a lot of beans, rice, and plantains.
I felt very safe in my accommodation and the neighborhood we were in, felt very safe. I recommend anyone that wants to volunteer here to... Just do it!

LisaM
Austin
University of Texas- Austin

Spring Break Medical Program

I’m very glad that I chose this program in Honduras with A Broader View, the location, and to go over Spring Break. A Broader View was a great choice because of large amount of support and information given to me before and during my stay. The location was good because it was close (a short plane trip), good weather, friendly people, and very impactful with its culture and economy. The short time period was a good choice because it allowed me to have enough time to adjust but also ensure that if I did not like the program (since it was my first time traveling abroad for medical volunteering), I would return home soon. I learned a lot in how imperative it is to be able to improvise, think on the spot, communicate in a profession, understand and become integrated within a culture, and analyze a situation to find the underlying problems. I plan to do more of this kind of work once I improve my Spanish and experience.

Kathleen
Massachusetts United States

Dental Volunteer in Le Ceiba

Wonderful Dentists to work with. Sometimes the water isn't running so the water is collected in buckets under the sink so instruments can be scrubbed before sterilizing. It amazes me how they just go with the flow. Americans could use a little more of that attitude especially from the Northeast.
Many of the problems are the same in the US Preventative care not used so extractions are too common. Sugary drinks and juices and sodas are common causes of dental problems much as in the US.

I would have brought a sweatshirt as the nights were colder than anticipated.

Cat
Middletown, Connecticut
University of Maine- Orono (main campus)

Life Changing Volunteer Experience in La Ceiba

During my time in Honduras, I volunteered at a public clinic in the town of La Ceiba. The second week I also spent time in the Emergency Department. Most of my time consisted of taking blood pressure, giving shots, and cleaning wounds. I also did whatever other task needed to be done. This trip was life changing. The program itself was very smooth, with no major issues. I was able to focus on giving my time as much as possible. I already knew I wanted to be a doctor and this merely reconfirmed my love of medicine. I was able to see up close the impact that being in medicine could have on the world. Overall, I would not only recommend Honduras, but volunteering through A Broader View.

The website information about what tasks you would do is not as accurate to the program. For example, I never helped with HIV testing but I did learn to do other procedures not listed. This depends a lot on your skill level.

Mark
Nebraska
Nebraska

Premedical program Honduras

Being here in Honduras for 2 weeks in the Premedical program seemed like a very short amount of time for me. I felt that I had a purpose there and was doing something useful. Also meeting and making friends with the nurse and doctors and helping them out was a rewarding experience for me. The accommodation was really nice; no AC, cold showers which are really not a problem as its so hot in La Ceiba, the meals are good and although different, usually the hosts make sure you are well fed. As for security as long as you are aware of your surrounding and know when and where not to be, I felt safe.

Tracy
Atlanta
University of Oregon

Future nurse in Honduras

I really enjoyed working in the clinic. The doctors, nurses and nursing students were all very welcoming and helpful. I learned quite a few skills that are out of my scope of practice back home and I felt that the experience reaffirmed my design to nursing.
The clinic always needs gloves, medical tape, catheters, a lot of which is cheaper to by here, Gloves are really important though; we’ve run out a few times during the middle of the day. As far as meds, pretty much anything, antibiotics, anti parasites, anti-fungal medications, metformin, malaria meds, and acetaminophen for children and adult too.
The host family I stayed with was very welcoming and went out of their way to make sure myself and the other volunteers had what we needed.
My favorite place was Utila, Its beautiful, full of backpackers from all over the world and a great place to learn to scuba dive. Cayos Cochinos is amazing as well. Check out with water rafting in Pico Bonito and Zip ling out in Sambo Creek.

kmh612
denver, co

Life changing experience

I had the most amazing experience in Honduras. I met life-long friends, traveled to place I'd never seen before, helped children in need, and had a lot of fun.

I volunteered in the mornings at a special needs school, helping the kids with their studies, teaching a little bit of art, and learning as much Spanish as possible.

In the afternoons, I volunteered at an orphanage. It was so nice to put a smile on the faces of the children living there. They are smart, and funny, and love new volunteers coming into the home. I really enjoyed learning to cook traditional Honduran foods for the kids.

On the weekends, the other volunteers and I would travel around Honduras. We spend time on the beach relaxing, scubadiving on the islands off shore, hiking in the jungle, and white water rafting. There were only a handful of the adventures we experienced together.

Not only did this trip teach me a lot about the Honduran culture, but it taught me a lot about myself. It was never hard to be far from home because I was surrounded by so many great volunteers and children.

Despite what you may have heard about the dangers of Honduras, it is a beautiful country full of wonderful sights and people. Listening to the volunteer coordinators, coming home before curfew, and pairing up with other volunteers at all times are important parts to ensure your safety and enjoyment.

Our volunteer coordinator was not aware of when volunteers were flying into the country. A few of us had issues with getting from the bus station to our placements. Be sure a clearly communicated transportation plan is set in place before you land.

A Broader View Volunteers is a registered 501c(3) nonprofit charity located in the USA. Our organization was founded in 2007 and is based in Pennsylvania. Our charity # is 26-0594308, you can fundraise for the cost of the trip in our website and all your