Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Laos from $260

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Laos and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 3 volunteer project options in Laos and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Laos, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Laos program is available year-round, offering a start date on every Monday
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $230 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 10 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Laos each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Book With Confidence: Added Flexibility & Free Changes

IVHQ makes it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind. As long as you cancel or reschedule at least 15 days before your program start date this year, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination.

Hello! not exactly a retiree here though i am a mid-career finance professional in my early 30s. I first started volunteering overseas when I turned 30 (probably considered a late-starter) and there were indeed lots of volunteers still studying or just graduated from university, most of them are 18 to 24 year olds. It did take me a while to get over the fact that I'm at least a decade older than...

Laura

Unforgettable experience!

I volunteered in Laos for two weeks. I wish I could have stayed longer! Laos is a beautiful country that has so much to offer. The Green Lion Team is extremely nice and always willing to help you with any problem you encounter. From riding a bicycle to school to teaching the lovely kids at school or hanging out with other volunteers at the bonfire, everyday was extremely enjoyable. This experience was really enriching and exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to volunteer again in the future. =)

Be sure to visit the COPE Centre and learn about Laos history!
Armerleigh

Lovely Laos

I would highly recommend IVHQ to anyone and everyone! They are incredibly organised and always willing to answer questions no matter how big or small! I was feeling extremely nervous before leaving for my volunteer trip in Laos but I felt reassured knowing that IVHQ would help me out with anything I needed! Once I was over in Laos the volunteer group ‘Green Lions’ went above and beyond to make sure I felt comfortable and ready. I couldn’t recommend visiting Laos more highly, the people and the culture is amazing.

I believe this program is ideal for solo travelers as it allows you to focus on making a good impact within the community as well as giving you chance to learn new things about yourself! I’m saying that, this program is certainly ideal for EVERYONE

This program is amazing, but I wish it was available in more places across Laos
Nicole

Laos teaching for a week

I took part in a one week volunteer program in Laos teaching English to primary aged students. IVHQ was so helpful every step of the way! They were by far the cheapest volunteer program I found, their website was clear, helpful and easy to navigate and signing up to the program was such a simple process. Once signed up, IVHQ clearly set out steps to help you understand everything you needed to do to prepare for your volunteering and customs of the Lao culture. Any question I had I was able to ask Sean Markham, the IVHQ program manager, and they were answered promptly. I was also able to ask about weekend travel and getting around Laos. Upon signing up for the program, I was given login details to IVHQ's website and was given all the information I needed including what do about visas, travel insurance, flights, what to pack and how to prepare.

Once in Laos I was contacted by Sean again to ensure that my placement was going well and there were no issues. There was constant support every step of the way and any issues or questions were quickly answered and resolved. The program itself was amazing and worth every single cent. Being able to help out in a small community even for just one week was an amazing experience. Getting to know locals in a different way and really immersing yourself in the local culture was a great way to visit Laos and get an experience that not many other tourists have the chance of having. There was an option to do a culture week which was three days of language lessons, cooking, vegetable planting, making offerings for monks and several other activities. I personally chose not to partake in the culture week as I only had one week on the program and wanted to make the most of spending my time in a local school. The fact that this was offered as an option was amazing and really made my time there even more worthwhile.

IVHQ is an excellent organisation and I will 100% be booking through them the next time I wish to volunteer overseas!!!!!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have loved to have been able to volunteer for longer than a week. I really felt like I could have aided the students English if I was there for a longer time period. I am currently studying to be a teacher and putting what I had already learnt to use was such a great opportunity!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for supplying this informative review on the IVHQ Laos Program, Nicole. It's great to hear you loved the support offered by IVHQ and the local team. We're stoked to hear you enjoyed having the option of a 1 day or 1 week orientation, and we can't wait for you to volunteer with IVHQ again. Sean - IVHQ Program Manager.

Francesca

Laos. Unmemorable experience.

I didn't know a lot about Laos, I had never been in Asia before and I had never had experience with kids too. Eventhough all these factors my three weeks in Laos as a volunteer in the childcare programme has been an amazing experience that has enrichened me a lot due to the discover of a completely different culture and the people that i have met( locals, the kids and the other volunteers). During the days of orientation,that were well organized by the local staff, I used to feel a bit worried about which activities i was expected to do with the children in school but once I entered in my class it came so easy as a duck to the water. I used to prepare lesson everyday for the day after and"head, shoulders, knees and toes", "five little ducks" stucked in my head!! The kids are amazing and they have a strong willingness of learning and playing with you. They are really smart and are full of enthusiasm. After the shower time i had the opportunity of improving my braiding skills thanks to the little girls because, eventhough i was supposed to braid them, there was no game. When i had to say goodbye for me has been a really touchy moment even if i didn't stay that long, and when i was about to cry there was a moment similar to a scene of the movie "Dead poets society" , the kids started repeating all the things that i have taught them. In that moment i realised that i had made a good job. The local staff is incredibly organised and helped me with everything even to recuperate my passport that i forgot on my way to Van Vieng ( a cool city to visit on the weekend)!! So i couldn't ask for anything better!! The food was exceptional and some days a week there were also western meals but I could happily swim in noodles and sticky rice! The accommodation was cool and we had cleaning once a week. I loved meeting the other volunteers and I'm sure that I'm going to keep in touch with them and for real we were from all around the world:Italy (that's me), Australia, China, Netherlands, Spain, France, China ecc! Laos is a wonderful country , it was difficult not to find myself in front of stunning and green landscapes and on the weekends , thanks also to the help of the local staff with organsing the transport, I had the possibility of travelling a bit with the other volunteers and we had a lot of fun! If you are an open mind person looking for an unmemorable experience from any point of view (humanitarian, social, cultural ones and so on) this is the perfect one. I left for Loas alone and for three weeks I have never felt alone and i 've made memories that i will always keep deeply in my heart.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

This sounds like one awesome trip Francesca! Thanks for sharing your experience with us and upcoming volunteers! Volunteering is certainly an amazing way to see the Laos and make friends while giving back to the local community! We're so glad you enjoyed your experience and we look forward to having you join us again soon! Will - IVHQ Program Manager

Read my full story
Yixin

Childcare in LAOS

I started the childcare program in LAOS on July 23,2018 and lasted for 2 weeks.
The first week is about orientation and learning. We learnt language (LAO &greeting gestures), cooking (fried spring rolls), Buddhism culture in LAOS (seeing the temples and do the obeisance and meditation), and the childcare program internship.
We started the childcaring formally the second week. We teach them English in the morning including numbers, alphabets, colors, body parts, clothes, months and weekdays. They are easily learning but as well as forgetting, so it’s OK to repeat to make them more familiar. And we also invent some learning games such as circle the number and point out the colors. Different lessons should be prepared for different ages. Songs are really good to make kids concentrate and happy. Try body-part song and wheels on the bus song. They love dancing and singing. At 10:30, kids have their first lunch. We just help the older kids wash hands and feed the youngers. Then play again till 11:30, when they go to bed. We go to the school again at 1:30 to wake them up and help them to take off clothes before shower and dress them after shower. Then feed them the second lunch and make hair for girls. The afternoon is the game time and don’t worry they can’t understand the rules when trying a new game, they can play well after 2~3 rounds later. They are really clever. At about 3:30pm we leave, and the parents come to pick them up.
The kids are so different so be patient with everyone. Some of them are outgoing, he or she can hug you the first day but some are really shy. If he/she wants to be alone, just let him/her go. And he/she will be fine later.
The teachers and the local team members can translate and assist you so don’t worry about the language.
And the great part besides childcare is meeting friends. The volunteers come from different countries and culture and become friends. We made the weekend travel plan to Vangvieng and prepare the class (always drawing) or playing in the evening. I was so lucky to meet these guys and hope wo can see each other again in the future.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

What an awesome insight in to the program Yixin! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with upcoming volunteers! The local team and I really appreciate all of the hard work you did in Laos! We look forward to having you join us again soon!
- Will Rowland - IVHQ Program Manager.

Mary

My Laos Experience

Sabaidee! These last three weeks I have spent volunteering as a part of IVHQs Childcare programme in Laos, and it’s safe to say that those three weeks have been some of the most memorable and worthwhile moments I’ve ever experienced. From the people who run the programme (Ticky, Micky, my coordinator Suan and Will Rowland providing me with all the information I needed before, during and after my trip) to the kids and other volunteers I worked with I couldn’t have spent this time with better people! During the week I spent my days cycling to work, playing with kids, teaching them basic English whilst they helped me understand the language, culture and ways of Laos whilst I spent my weekends in the famous locations around the country from fighting off the torrential rain and massive sprays of the Kuang Si Falls in Luang Prabang, Kayaking and Zip-Lining in Vang Vieng and exploring Vientiane’s Night markets. I’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone involved in my unforgettable experience and I can’t wait to return and see everyone again!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Sabaidee Mary! Thank you for sharing some more insights in to your experience with the IVHQ Program in Laos! You certainly made the most of your time in Laos and we really appreciate all the work you did. Great tips for the free weekends too!
- Will Rowland - IVHQ Program Manager

Gerida

IVHQ Laos

I had wanted to volunteer for a few years before hearing about IVHQ through a friend and thought they were the perfect match for me. The IVHQ team prior to departure were extremely helpful in answering any questions and helping me change my program dates last minute. The local team once at the project were beyond amazing. The passion for helping the community was truly felt by the local team and they passed on that passion to each volunteer. The food was amazing and catered to everyone with a mix of local and western food. There were some great social games organized after dinner most nights which was a great way to break the ice and meet other volunteers doing other projects. The orientation was a great opportunity to explore the local area and learn about the culture. In the short time I was there I felt I was able to make a genuine connection with the community, the local team, the children and my fellow volunteers. My only regret is that I didn’t stay longer!

I only did a 1 week program and I think if you could somehow incorporate teaching earlier in week one/the orientation week. Perhaps by doing a teaching session in the morning and orientation activities in the afternoon in order to get the most out of the 1 week program. If you were doing more than 1 week I don’t think this would be necessary.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thank you so much Gerida! We are so pleased that you loved your time in Laos - it certainly is a special place full of fantastic people and community spirit! Your feedback has been really insightful and I know future volunteers will find this very helpful. We look forward to having you join us again soon! ^William - IVHQ Laos Program Manager

Shirley

Amazing experience

Laos has won my heart during this volunteer stay! One of the most memorable times were the evenings when one of my fellow volunteer workers and I would watch the beautiful sunset and talk about life. The food was also incredible and on Thursday nights they do barbecue at the volunteer place, followed by organized karaoke at a nearby bar.
The volunteering itself is also quite beautiful, but challenging at the same time. For the childcare program, it is required of you to teach the adorable, little Children English and play with them in the afternoon. It's wonderful, but be prepared to work! Also, the bicycle is a fantastic way to get to work and ideal in such a rural place in Laos.

By adding host families that the volunteers could stay with, if they wanted to. As a somewhat older volunteer, I would have loved to have that option, which I did in other countries.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shirley, We are thrilled to hear that Laos has won your heart! The volunteer program in Laos is marvellous and we hope your review will motivate other volunteers to try it out. Thanks for being a multi-trip volunteer and we hope you will join us again soon.

Read my full story