International Internships in Australia with The Intern Group

Summer Internships: Deadline Approaching

The Intern Group's summer internship programs are filling up. Apply today so that you don't miss out!

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in Australia. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in Australia will make you stand out from your peers.

We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. Not sure what you want to study yet? Take a gap year to test-drive your career. Professional in transition? Gain experience in your new field.

As an intern in Australia your program will include a professional internship, accommodation, airport pick up and drop off, regular cultural and social events, 24/7 emergency assistance, and many other great benefits.

• Have a top-class international internship in Australia! Our personalized process ensures that you will be working in the industry sector of your choice, in a role that is tailored to your professional goals.
  • It makes your resume stand out! In today's society, everyone does sport, plays an instrument and is part of a society. As one of millions of young people applying for their first job, you need to find a way to jump off the page!
  • Make friends and professional networks in Melbourne and from all over the world! Whether you like it or not, it's not what you know, it's who you know.
  • Have an amazing life experience in Melbourne! We know that moving to a new place can be nerve-racking. Thats why our team on the ground is made up of Australians who are there to give you support 24/7.
  • For non native-English speakers perfect your language! Learn English in a real-world environment, rather than in the classroom.

Hi Sumaiyah, yes they can. We receive applications from candidates at all stages of their academic career, including business undergrads. We provide business programs across all of our destinations.
Hi Maria! You 100% can travel in Australia before or after your internship. There were a few members of my group who did both. I will say that the perks of the program are only available during your designated program dates (airport pickup, dinner and other excursions). However it's been a few years since my program so I would confirm with your contact to make sure. I made the choice to not travel...

Alex

2.5 Month Internship in Melbourne

I've had a great time doing this internship. I was matched with a company that I hadn't really held prior interest in, but upon commencement of my internship the role fit my skillset perfectly. In addition, the internship was hands on and not just making coffee - I got a chance to be a part of the team. I ended up taking work for the company after my internship, extending my stay in Australia by several months.
The only negative is that the housing provided wasn't the best, although it was fine there are just cheaper options to rent in Melbourne, so I'd recommend finding somewhere and moving out.

I would include more choice in the events (mainly sporting events, the rest of the events were great and varied) and perhaps have share houses rather than halls accommodation.
Elisa

An awesome experience

It was such an amazing experience, I loved every second I spent in Australia. All the included activities and trips were fun and gave us an opportunity to spend time together. Everyone was nice and kind and always available in case of need. Dylan was super nice and made every trip/ activity better.
I also truly loved Melbourne and it was simply heartbreaking leaving it. It’s very hard to explain how you can feel at home even if you are thousands of miles away from where you’te actually from. Australia makes you feel like that. It’s like there is room for everyone to be happy. And that’s how I would describe myself during the whole experice: a truly happy young woman.
I would strongly suggest this experience to everyone. Thank you to anyone who made this experice one I’ll never forget.

Taylor

Excellent Experience

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this program. The support team were great, we had many fun activities planned for us and a wealth of knowledge and info available in terms of making the most out of the city and experience. Meeting fellow interns from all over the world and with different career paths was something that I really loved and benefited from, in terms of broadening my own horizons. It was an amazing opportunity to grow professionally while travelling and exploring a new city, with new friends built-in to the experience and support for any eventuality.

Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Chris

Melbourne Internship - United Global Capital

Overall a very valuable experience in which I believe I grew as an individual and gained important practical experience in my field of study (finance).

I feel that I was very lucky with the group of interns that I arrived with as we became very close as a group and had many enjoyable adventures together.

The company at which I worked (United Global Capital) were very good to me and I really enjoyed the working life in the city. The work itself was extremely valuable in giving me a platform on which I can further build up work experience heading towards the end of my undergraduate studies.

In terms of location - Melbourne is a very special city and a great city to be in for a young person. The nightlife and post work activities keep you busy and there is always something new and exciting to do.

The accommodation was very disappointing to be frank. The only thing that was enjoyable regarding the living standards was that all the interns were together.

The advertisement of the rooms on the website was completely different to what we ended up in and a few of the promised features were not granted.

In addition, I feel like certain matters (the rat) were not dealt with in a proper manner from the intern group team and the hotel management in general.

Positives from the accommodation was that there was access to a swimming pool and modest gym facility.
Response from The Intern Group

Hi Chris, Thank you for leaving us a review. We are glad to see that you had a valuable experience with United Global Capital and rated the program a 9/10 overall. We are also happy to hear that you made close friends on the program and enjoyed all that Melbourne has to offer. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the accommodation and felt that we did not deal with certain situations in a proper manner. We can assure you that we took all of the necessary steps to resolve the problem. The rat sighting was a result of food being left out in the common areas. We called pest controllers that came 4 different times for good measure. We also had builders come to assess the building and close up any potential access points. There were no more rat sightings after taking these precautions. But, you will be happy to know that we are cancelling this accommodation altogether. Your feedback is important to us.

Brielle

Amazing Australian Experience

I interned abroad with Intern Group and absolutely loved my experience. I was not able to study abroad in university, so I felt as if I had missed out and so when I found this program, I was excited to take on a similar experience but in a professional sense. My internship was fantastic, immersing me into the world of a PR agency for the first time, while simultaneously teaching me about another culture and allowing me the opportunity to travel (which we all know is the true key to learning and expanding our realm of experience) to the Great Barrier Reef, New Zealand, etc.

The housing needs serious improvement.
Charles

An International Internship - A Life Experience

The Intern Group has a great program for those who like to be challenged. I just came back from Melbourne, and I had an awesome time.

Going to the other side of the world to do an internship is not just about a professional or a personal experience. Doing an international internship is a life experience and it is a great one.

During my journey in Australia I worked at the biggest startup hub in Melbourne. We did everything from consulting with businesses to putting together a mentoring program available to a community of more than 10 000 entrepreneurs. We also organized major events for the startup ecosystem, such as pitch nights and networking.

Overall, The Intern Group is a great place to apply for an international internship. The staff is really competent and fun. They make sure you have a great time during the program with all the social activities. For example, I had the chance to go at The Australian Open (major tennis tournament) and the Formula One.

This program is a great investment and I recommend it!

Cheers,

Tim

Australia: March-April 2016

I was an intern with The Intern Group's Australia program from March-April 2016. In a nutshell, I had a fantastically positive experience during my time Down Under, and would highly this program to others. I will be attending graduate school this coming autumn, and wanted to do something like this while I had the opportunity. I researched for many months and talked with a plethora of different companies and programs, and finally decided on The Intern Group. The Intern Group provided me with all of the aspects that I wanted, and was, hands down, the best overall fit for me. They provided me with enough flexibility that I could craft my time in Australia to how I liked it, but also provided me with enough security where I never felt like I was alone in this sometimes daunting process.

In terms of the actual internship part, I felt that The Intern Group listened to what I wanted to achieve and what type of experience I wanted to get out of this program, and helped to find a company that was suitable for me. The company I worked at was one of the largest and most successful in all of Australia. I learned very much, and got tons of hands-on experience. My boss was very informative, helped me learn a lot, and really got me involved with the company.

However, in spite of a successful internship, the best part of this experience for me was the people involved. I was in Australia with a fantastic group of people, who really put the experience over the top. In addition to having an immediate group of other people to hang out with during my time in Australia, I also gained a new group of friends who I am still in contact with on a regular basis. In addition to my fellow interns, I found all of The Intern Group's staff to be extremely gracious, helpful, and professional whenever I had any questions or concerns.

The only improvement to the program that I would add is in terms of the housing. The accommodation provided could definitely be improved, but overall is adequate for the amount of time that you're actually in the room. Upgrades are available (albeit pricey), and I have heard that The Intern Group is looking into alternative options as well.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend The Intern Group to other potential interns. My personal experience found the program to be extremely well organized and set-up, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. Melbourne is an amazing city, and one which I am definitely looking forward to returning to in the future.

If you can swing it financially, then take the leap and join The Intern Group's program. You will certainly not regret it!

Housing. See above commentary.
Ruth

My Aussie intern experience

I decided after much struggle in UK to find work even after my degree and masters in marketing that I should apply for an internship. I've always had a travel bug and thought an internship abroad would be a perfect opportunity to combine work experience with travel. However I was anxiety about travelling to a country where I knew no one and although there are numerous intern programs abroad I liked the idea of having the security of knowing I would be placed in housing with other people doing the same thing. i had a fantastic experience at my work placement -strongly advise- you really need to explain to the program coordinator exactly what you're after, I knew I wanted to work for a creative marketing company and I got exactly what I asked for. The company gave me experience and opportunities I only could have dreamed of- I have skills on my cv which sometimes take working in larger companies years to achieve of- this is the advance of working with smaller companies that allow you to learn a wide variety of skills. I didn't just make colleagues I made amazing friends who I am still in touch with now and feel so greatful they didn't mind my endless questions and made me feel so at home. Accomodation is basic but as a slightly older intern (27) I found by upgrading my room to have my own kitchen and double bed was well worth the extra money. Dylan was not only welcoming but I was fortunate enough to work with him and became a good friend who made everyone laugh and really make us feel happy in an unfamiliar place- I can not thank him enough for bringing the group together and taking us around. In terms of times I felt 3 months was the perfect length- I learnt a lot in this time and it gave me the time to make Australia my home and visit lots of places in my free time. I'm still in Australia and lived for another 6 months with friends I made on the program. It has been an amazing experience and I cannot recommend it more highly to those who want a home away from home :-)

Sammy

Graphic Design & Social Media Internship

When I first landed in Australia for my social media and graphic design internship, I was quite excited. I didn't know how neat it was to live at Bell City in Preston. I felt that the area was nice, and that there were some nice amenities close to the hotel/residence, such as grocery store and some restaurants. I liked how it was close to High Street and cheap food stores, salons, and banks there. I also liked the security of the building. Getting to work was sometimes tricky and sometimes stressful, but I was able to make it there, 90% on time at 9:00am sharp. Though, I was not used to the roads and transit system in Melbourne, it certainly came in handy, both traveling to work and traveling to meet up with friends in the CBD. As well, the Melbourne social scene was quite nice, as I enjoyed bar hopping (pub crawling) to different bars/pubs. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, it was always full of energy and fun. I enjoyed how we were able to walk in to a party and just chill there, after a long week of work. Melbourne, in my opinion, is pretty hip, and has so much to offer. I also enjoyed the trips and events put on by the Intern Group. In terms of my actual internship, it was a worthwhile learning experience and I had some fun while doing it. I really loved how I was able to apply my knowledge and at the same time pick up new skill. I felt very passionate about my job. Overall, these eight weeks spent in Melbourne was pretty awesome!

I think this program is really good and I don't have any suggestions for areas of improvement. I feel that the communication between I and the Intern Group in regards to events, finances, and other information was thorough. I enjoy how they are using multiple platforms to reach out to the interns.
Ginevra

My awesome experience in Melbourne

Before my departure, I was quite worried for both organizational matters and also for the kind of people I was about to meet. English language is not my mother tongue and Australia is very far from my Country. Despite these concerns I went to Melbourne and thank goodness I did. My internship was the most challenging and learning experience of my life so far.

My internship was in a Law Firm and all my "colleagues" were very helpful and patient. I read with them many acts, participated in meetings with clients, attended Court trials and I enjoyed extra work activities with all the staff as well. I soon realized that Australian people are open to all different cultures and have an amazing lifestyle.

Also from an organizational point of view my internship was perfect. Intergroup People were always willing to listen and give support. I was living in an accomodation with other people from all over the world who were having my same experience. I was lucky to share my Australian adventure with other amazing interns.

Thanks to my internship I grew both professionally and humanly. You put yourself in the game only when you are out of your comfort zone, and this was an incredible opportunity to me.

Xiaomin

Unforgettable experience

I went to Melbourne to do a finance internship, which was challenging and interesting. I feel very welcomed by the company and everyone is very willing to teach and share their knowledge, experience and wisdom. I feel very lucky to be with the team for the past two months. I tried to make the most out of the intern and my colleagues make this possible. I am really greatful for their help and generosity.
Melbourne is a lovely city, with the best coffee and wonderful artistic atmosphere. People I met are super friendly, which made my stay most enjoyable.
The internship is also a good chance to meet new people. In the group we had young people from different parts of the world. It's great fun having different activities with them.

Adam

The adventure of a lifetime

When I left for Australia, I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect. However, as soon as I arrived in Australia I knew I had made the right decision.

I was picked up from the airport by a driver, and taken to the accommodation, which was perfect for the duration of time that I was there. The accommodation is around 25 minutes from the Central Business District (CBD), but the trains are regular and pretty reliable. The room at Bell has everything you need (Single bed, microwave, TV, toilet and shower) the perfect studio type room, which is fit for purpose. In all honesty, you will hardly spend any time in your room anyway, as Melbourne has so much to offer. There is then a communal kitchen for the floor.

As well as the train to the CBD, you can also take the Tram and Bus, both routes stretch across Melbourne.

Over the course of six weeks I met some of the greatest people possible, and that was the major highlight of my time in Australia. There are so many like-minded people from all over the world. The Intern Group also does a great job in providing every opportunity for interns to experience all Melbourne has to offer - in our time there we visited a wildlife sanctuary, experienced an Aussie Rules game, went to Eureka Skydeck, had a great welcome dinner and were given some great tips of where to go out in and around Melbourne.

As a group, we also travelled out to the Grampian Mountains and the Great Ocean Road, both were highlights of my time in Melbourne. It was very easy to rent a car, and cost us about $50(AUD) per person for rental and fuel - equivalent to about £25 to me.

My internship was also very enjoyable - I was working in a small digital strategy company, and had a wide variety of work, and managed to build a good reputation so as to gain more responsibility. The majority of the companies that my friends and I worked at were small start-up type companies, but each of them provided unique business insight that you could not have gained at a large blue-chip.

An internship in Australia is definitely worth both the financial and physical investment, and I would recommend it to anyone (whether you are still at university or have already graduated) - international experience on your CV is invaluable, and you will also see such personal growth. Whether you opt for 6 weeks or longer, take the opportunity, you won't regret it.

Thanks to everybody at The Intern Group Melbourne for everything, truly an experience I will never forget!

Sathiyan

Great programme, great people, great experience!

The Intern Melbourne programme is a great way to experience Australia whilst gaining work experience at the same time. I met loads of interesting and different people, making good friends in the process. Everyone on the programme does a different internship but we all come together in the evening and weekends to explore the Australian culture and sights through social activities. Visiting Phillip Islands and getting to feed and take selfies with a kangaroo was definitely a highlight for me. I would personally recommend the programme for an experience that you won't forget!

Melissa

Amazing Experience

I fell in love with Melbourne during my intern experience. The best part about the program is that you not only get to have an internship in an incredible city, but you have an automatic group of friends who are all looking to explore the city and have an amazing experience. Living in one location really helped everyone get close and made it easier to go out and do things together. Melbourne is an awesome city and this is a great way to see it.

Alice

Interning in Melbourne

Melbourne is an amazing city to do an internship in. Its really easy to get around in and to get set up. I did a six week internship but I have stayed on to work for a year. I highly recommend if anyone has the opportunity to stay on an work to do it, as you only get a working visa once, make the most of it. The best thing about the intern programme for me is the really helped me get set up after my internship finished they still remain in touch and provide support. They went above and beyond what was expected in terms of service for the programme by assisting me in my transition to working and living in Melbourne.

Lana is a fantastic Social Coordinator, she is very well connected and introduced me to many people I know spend time with in Melbourne. You will never be stuck for plans and will make lots of new friends.

Thank you so much Lewis for all the help and support you gave me. Your help with my professional development and my c.v helped me secure a job so I can stay on in Melbourne.

I would highly recommend this programme to anyone considering coming to Australia especially if you plan to stay on after your internship. Melbourne is a thriving, interesting city, full of amazing people like Lana and Lewis. Even better if you come during the summer. I will still be here so feel free to get in touch and I can tell you more about the programme.

Alice Brown.

The only thing is the accommodation. It is a wee bit far out of the city but transport is very good.

About The Intern Group

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel...