International Internships in Australia with The Intern Group

Final Places Available for Summer Internships

There are only a couple of places remaining for The Intern Group's summer internship programs. Apply now to intern abroad this summer!

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in Australia. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in Australia will make you stand out from your peers.

We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. Not sure what you want to study yet? Take a gap year to test-drive your career. Professional in transition? Gain experience in your new field.

As an intern in Australia your program will include a professional internship, accommodation, airport pick up and drop off, regular cultural and social events, 24/7 emergency assistance, and many other great benefits.

• Have a top-class international internship in Australia! Our personalized process ensures that you will be working in the industry sector of your choice, in a role that is tailored to your professional goals.
  • It makes your resume stand out! In today's society, everyone does sport, plays an instrument and is part of a society. As one of millions of young people applying for their first job, you need to find a way to jump off the page!
  • Make friends and professional networks in Melbourne and from all over the world! Whether you like it or not, it's not what you know, it's who you know.
  • Have an amazing life experience in Melbourne! We know that moving to a new place can be nerve-racking. Thats why our team on the ground is made up of Australians who are there to give you support 24/7.
  • For non native-English speakers perfect your language! Learn English in a real-world environment, rather than in the classroom.

Hi Sumaiyah, yes they can. We receive applications from candidates at all stages of their academic career, including business undergrads. We provide business programs across all of our destinations.
Hi Maria! You 100% can travel in Australia before or after your internship. There were a few members of my group who did both. I will say that the perks of the program are only available during your designated program dates (airport pickup, dinner and other excursions). However it's been a few years since my program so I would confirm with your contact to make sure. I made the choice to not travel...

Jenna

Internship in Melbourne with the Intern Group

Interning in Melbourne, Australia with The Intern Group was an incredible experience and definitely something that has made me grow, both professionally and personally. The Intern Group provides 24/7 support, matches you with a placement for your internship and provides housing and some inclusive activities. It’s way too difficult to pick one favourite memory but the inclusive events were amazing and really brought all the interns together, I particularly loved seeing all the Aussie animals at the Wildlife Park and watching an AFL game, the atmosphere was buzzing! I had a slight issue in my fourth week and The a Intern Group team were so supportive and helpful, definitely exceeding my expectations. Post-program, my internship has definitely refined my career path and I would love to go back to Australia to work with my company again in the future. Definitely the best 3 months of my life, couldn’t recommend more highly!

N/A
Audrey

Overall Great Experience

I interned at a creative marketing firm in the Melbourne, Australia CBD and loved it! I grew so much personally and professionally and the Intern Group was always available to help with any issues and to offer support in any way. I attended every single included event we had such as the Eureka Skydeck, wine tours, petting kangaroos and koalas, a rugby match, etc. The only downside to the trip is that the housing is pretty far outside of the CBD and not incredibly nice. But I think that's just to keep costs down. Overall I would definitely recommend the trip! It was the experience of a lifetime.

Better housing, perhaps better vetting of host companies as a few of my friends had poor experiences.
Courtney

The Intern Group Australia - June 2018

The Intern Group made my time abroad as stress free as possible. All staff members made sure we knew they were there for us if we had any issues. Specifically, when my flight was cancelled, Jessie was very helpful with arranging a taxi to the airport for my rescheduled flight.

I loved that all the interns lived in the same accommodation, because it allowed us to really get to know each other in a short amount of time.

I would recommend this program to others because trying to contact employers, find housing, and arrange transportation in a foreign country on your own would be very stressful. It was also comforting to know if something did go wrong, I had people to contact to help me through the situation.

There's not much I didn't like about the program, but living closer to the city with all the interns would be ideal.
Alison

Intern Group Australia

My program length was only 6 weeks - unfortunately, I couldn't stay any longer than that! I met a lot of really nice and fun people on this trip, and the included events that I was able to attend were amazing. My favorite was the wildlife experience one - I want to take a wallaby home with me now. My internship really helped me progress professionally, and I'm now able to say that I have extremely relevant experience to my career field. I learned a lot!

No suggestions for improvement!
Julia

Excellent Experience

If you're considering doing an internship abroad in Australia, this program is great! It was so nice having a place to stay with other interns, included transportation and included experiences for the weekends. I absolutely loved interning in Melbourne and I can't wait to return someday. Thanks to The Intern Group, I learned so much about Australia as well as my field. This internship has given me experience that will prove to be very valuable as I advance in my career. So much fun!

The accommodation would be better if it was moved to a location where it was students and interns only. This would make week nights much more fun and exciting rather than trying to ward off homesickness.
Giuseppe

Great Experience

It was a great experience. I had the opportunity to work in the perfect environment for me. It really helps me to improve so many skills. During the internship I've learnt a lot. However, the best part was meeting amazing people who shared with me amazing moments. I really love the multicultural atmosphere of the program. Probably, the worst part of the program was the accommodation: it was really small and quite far away from the centre of the city ( I reckon it could be done something for this). The Intern Group's staff was amazing!

Changing the accommodation!
Amy

Amazing experience

I had an amazing time doing a 2 and a half month long internship over in Melbourne.
The company I was placed with was great, they helped teach me so much more about the industry I was interested in and always made sure to offer any help I needed or take time to teach me new things. As well as this they also fully treated me as part of the team, taking my opinions into consideration over projects or during meetings and inviting me out with them after work, I wasn't just stuck in the corner making coffee!
The intern group itself was really great and extremely supportive, they were always a email/message/call away and did everything they could to help you out if you needed it and the events and trips out they arranged were all awesome!
I cannot recommend this program enough, I had an amazing experience and I have made friends for life, all while exploring a beautiful city.

Alex

2.5 Month Internship in Melbourne

I've had a great time doing this internship. I was matched with a company that I hadn't really held prior interest in, but upon commencement of my internship the role fit my skillset perfectly. In addition, the internship was hands on and not just making coffee - I got a chance to be a part of the team. I ended up taking work for the company after my internship, extending my stay in Australia by several months.
The only negative is that the housing provided wasn't the best, although it was fine there are just cheaper options to rent in Melbourne, so I'd recommend finding somewhere and moving out.

I would include more choice in the events (mainly sporting events, the rest of the events were great and varied) and perhaps have share houses rather than halls accommodation.
Elisa

An awesome experience

It was such an amazing experience, I loved every second I spent in Australia. All the included activities and trips were fun and gave us an opportunity to spend time together. Everyone was nice and kind and always available in case of need. Dylan was super nice and made every trip/ activity better.
I also truly loved Melbourne and it was simply heartbreaking leaving it. It’s very hard to explain how you can feel at home even if you are thousands of miles away from where you’te actually from. Australia makes you feel like that. It’s like there is room for everyone to be happy. And that’s how I would describe myself during the whole experice: a truly happy young woman.
I would strongly suggest this experience to everyone. Thank you to anyone who made this experice one I’ll never forget.

Taylor

Excellent Experience

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this program. The support team were great, we had many fun activities planned for us and a wealth of knowledge and info available in terms of making the most out of the city and experience. Meeting fellow interns from all over the world and with different career paths was something that I really loved and benefited from, in terms of broadening my own horizons. It was an amazing opportunity to grow professionally while travelling and exploring a new city, with new friends built-in to the experience and support for any eventuality.

Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Chris

Melbourne Internship - United Global Capital

Overall a very valuable experience in which I believe I grew as an individual and gained important practical experience in my field of study (finance).

I feel that I was very lucky with the group of interns that I arrived with as we became very close as a group and had many enjoyable adventures together.

The company at which I worked (United Global Capital) were very good to me and I really enjoyed the working life in the city. The work itself was extremely valuable in giving me a platform on which I can further build up work experience heading towards the end of my undergraduate studies.

In terms of location - Melbourne is a very special city and a great city to be in for a young person. The nightlife and post work activities keep you busy and there is always something new and exciting to do.

The accommodation was very disappointing to be frank. The only thing that was enjoyable regarding the living standards was that all the interns were together.

The advertisement of the rooms on the website was completely different to what we ended up in and a few of the promised features were not granted.

In addition, I feel like certain matters (the rat) were not dealt with in a proper manner from the intern group team and the hotel management in general.

Positives from the accommodation was that there was access to a swimming pool and modest gym facility.
Response from The Intern Group

Hi Chris, Thank you for leaving us a review. We are glad to see that you had a valuable experience with United Global Capital and rated the program a 9/10 overall. We are also happy to hear that you made close friends on the program and enjoyed all that Melbourne has to offer. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the accommodation and felt that we did not deal with certain situations in a proper manner. We can assure you that we took all of the necessary steps to resolve the problem. The rat sighting was a result of food being left out in the common areas. We called pest controllers that came 4 different times for good measure. We also had builders come to assess the building and close up any potential access points. There were no more rat sightings after taking these precautions. But, you will be happy to know that we are cancelling this accommodation altogether. Your feedback is important to us.

Brielle

Amazing Australian Experience

I interned abroad with Intern Group and absolutely loved my experience. I was not able to study abroad in university, so I felt as if I had missed out and so when I found this program, I was excited to take on a similar experience but in a professional sense. My internship was fantastic, immersing me into the world of a PR agency for the first time, while simultaneously teaching me about another culture and allowing me the opportunity to travel (which we all know is the true key to learning and expanding our realm of experience) to the Great Barrier Reef, New Zealand, etc.

The housing needs serious improvement.
Charles

An International Internship - A Life Experience

The Intern Group has a great program for those who like to be challenged. I just came back from Melbourne, and I had an awesome time.

Going to the other side of the world to do an internship is not just about a professional or a personal experience. Doing an international internship is a life experience and it is a great one.

During my journey in Australia I worked at the biggest startup hub in Melbourne. We did everything from consulting with businesses to putting together a mentoring program available to a community of more than 10 000 entrepreneurs. We also organized major events for the startup ecosystem, such as pitch nights and networking.

Overall, The Intern Group is a great place to apply for an international internship. The staff is really competent and fun. They make sure you have a great time during the program with all the social activities. For example, I had the chance to go at The Australian Open (major tennis tournament) and the Formula One.

This program is a great investment and I recommend it!

Cheers,

Tim

Australia: March-April 2016

I was an intern with The Intern Group's Australia program from March-April 2016. In a nutshell, I had a fantastically positive experience during my time Down Under, and would highly this program to others. I will be attending graduate school this coming autumn, and wanted to do something like this while I had the opportunity. I researched for many months and talked with a plethora of different companies and programs, and finally decided on The Intern Group. The Intern Group provided me with all of the aspects that I wanted, and was, hands down, the best overall fit for me. They provided me with enough flexibility that I could craft my time in Australia to how I liked it, but also provided me with enough security where I never felt like I was alone in this sometimes daunting process.

In terms of the actual internship part, I felt that The Intern Group listened to what I wanted to achieve and what type of experience I wanted to get out of this program, and helped to find a company that was suitable for me. The company I worked at was one of the largest and most successful in all of Australia. I learned very much, and got tons of hands-on experience. My boss was very informative, helped me learn a lot, and really got me involved with the company.

However, in spite of a successful internship, the best part of this experience for me was the people involved. I was in Australia with a fantastic group of people, who really put the experience over the top. In addition to having an immediate group of other people to hang out with during my time in Australia, I also gained a new group of friends who I am still in contact with on a regular basis. In addition to my fellow interns, I found all of The Intern Group's staff to be extremely gracious, helpful, and professional whenever I had any questions or concerns.

The only improvement to the program that I would add is in terms of the housing. The accommodation provided could definitely be improved, but overall is adequate for the amount of time that you're actually in the room. Upgrades are available (albeit pricey), and I have heard that The Intern Group is looking into alternative options as well.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend The Intern Group to other potential interns. My personal experience found the program to be extremely well organized and set-up, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. Melbourne is an amazing city, and one which I am definitely looking forward to returning to in the future.

If you can swing it financially, then take the leap and join The Intern Group's program. You will certainly not regret it!

Housing. See above commentary.
Ruth

My Aussie intern experience

I decided after much struggle in UK to find work even after my degree and masters in marketing that I should apply for an internship. I've always had a travel bug and thought an internship abroad would be a perfect opportunity to combine work experience with travel. However I was anxiety about travelling to a country where I knew no one and although there are numerous intern programs abroad I liked the idea of having the security of knowing I would be placed in housing with other people doing the same thing. i had a fantastic experience at my work placement -strongly advise- you really need to explain to the program coordinator exactly what you're after, I knew I wanted to work for a creative marketing company and I got exactly what I asked for. The company gave me experience and opportunities I only could have dreamed of- I have skills on my cv which sometimes take working in larger companies years to achieve of- this is the advance of working with smaller companies that allow you to learn a wide variety of skills. I didn't just make colleagues I made amazing friends who I am still in touch with now and feel so greatful they didn't mind my endless questions and made me feel so at home. Accomodation is basic but as a slightly older intern (27) I found by upgrading my room to have my own kitchen and double bed was well worth the extra money. Dylan was not only welcoming but I was fortunate enough to work with him and became a good friend who made everyone laugh and really make us feel happy in an unfamiliar place- I can not thank him enough for bringing the group together and taking us around. In terms of times I felt 3 months was the perfect length- I learnt a lot in this time and it gave me the time to make Australia my home and visit lots of places in my free time. I'm still in Australia and lived for another 6 months with friends I made on the program. It has been an amazing experience and I cannot recommend it more highly to those who want a home away from home :-)

About The Intern Group

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel...