Connect-123 Shanghai Internships

Explore your surroundings with friends
Explore your surroundings with friends
Explore China with your fellow Connectors
Explore China with your fellow Connectors

Join Connect-123 for a professional internship in Shanghai, China! The center of economic development, Shanghai has much to offer international interns. Popular placement opportunities in Shanghai include business, economic development, finance, entrepreneurship, and medical and health care.

Connect-123 finds professional internship opportunities in Shanghai, China. Since we match your skills to local projects, anyone can apply – university students, graduate students or experienced professionals – and proficiency in Chinese is not a requirement. Our program durations and start and end dates are flexible to fit your needs. Our local staff provide on-the-ground support before, during, and after your internship including housing assistance, in-depth orientation, social events, cultural activities, as well as career support and guidance.

Join interns from around the world in Shanghai for a chance to add valuable professional experience to your resumé.

Most Popular Internship Placements in Shanghai:

• Medical and Health Care Internships: Shanghai has had an extremely rapid growth of wealth, but also is seeing the cumulative effects of pollution and an aging population. That combination makes Shanghai an excellent choice for medical internships across the entire health care spectrum.
  • Law Internships: Shanghai is the undisputed international business hub of China, and demand for international legal services means provides incredible opportunity for internships.
  • Design Internships: The incredible recent growth of Shanghai--and China in general--provides not only endless design inspiration but also a plethora of projects, companies, and products requiring design services.
  • Film & Photography Internships: Shanghai has a burgeoning film and still photography sector, so this is an opportunity to see alternate visual aesthetics while growing your international network.
  • Environment & Sustainability Internships: Although China has well-documented environmental problems resulting from recent growth, the Chinese government has also moved to embrace next-generation sustainability solutions. For those interested in internships in environmental solutions and sustainability, it’s an amazing combination.
  • Marketing, PR, and Event Management Internships: China is simultaneously global in its ambitions but also very unique in its approach to marketing, communications, and the sorts of events locals enjoy.
  • Business Internships: China is the world’s second-largest economy and on pace to become the biggest. That creates incredible opportunities for internships across the entire range of business, finance, and entrepreneurship.
  • Many more: Take a look at all of our Shanghai internship categories.
  • Tailored placements! Connect-123’s experienced team finds unique, best-fit opportunities for you, related to your interests, goals and requirements.
  • Extensive Network! Connect-123’s partner network includes entrepreneurs, human rights organizations, engineering firms, advertising agencies and many more options!
  • Flexibility! Choose your arrival and departure dates, based on your schedule.
  • Service! From pre-departure to in-country support to post internship assistance, Connect-123 provides you with all the support you need!
  • Memories! Meet new friends from all over the world and make memories to last a lifetime!

While it can vary from consulate to consulate, our applicants typically receive M visas.
During the placement process, we work together to ensure that we find the best fit for you, where you’ll achieve your goals and receive a return on investment. You accept your internship offer in advance of travelling to the destination, and our roles and responsibilities at your internship program are agreed in advance.
Regarding financial assistance, some universities do have scholarships available for international experiential learning, community service or internships — be sure to check with your university for more information.
While high in career-related value, all internships are unpaid and organizations we work with understand that they need to provide “real” work experience that will benefit the intern.

Nahom

Overall great experience.

Being an intern in one of the most famous international hospitals in Shanghai, China has exposed me to various learning opportunities. As a first-year college student who is pursuing medicine as a career, I had a lot to learn about the field and explore a variety of departments within the field. Learning about how medicine is practiced in different cultures other than the United States is something that I truly appreciate because I believe that it gives me an insight on different types of patient care. Working with physicians and other staff members at the hospital has helped me grow as an individual and gave me a clear vision of what practicing medicine is like. It is mainly because of this experience that I am now able to finally say that medicine is definitely the career path I want to take.

Connect-123 has helped me throughout the entire internship from finding housing for the summer to making sure that I got involved in the new things that were happening in the beautiful city of Shanghai. I also made so many great connections with incredible people from all over the world. Thank you, Connect-123!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
There are people from all over the world, which was very shocking in my eyes
Anna

Cassava Lab Internship

I did an 8-week summer internship in a Plant Physiology and Ecology research lab, where I assisted with an investigator’s project on the Plasma membrane Intrinsic Protein of cassava. In the internship, I gained hands-on experience of many lab skills and got the opportunity to work closely with researchers. It was exciting to apply the knowledge I learned in class in the lab and do the experiments by myself. Talking to the PhD students in the lab allowed me to know how it feels to work in academia and helped me to rethink about my career plan and make future decisions. People in the lab were incredibly patient and willing to give me detailed explanations on whatever I did not understand. Overall, Connect-123 has provided me with a great experience in Shanghai and I recommend everyone to apply for internships through Connect-123!

Housing with more hygienic environment and clean beddings.
Megan

Summer in Shanghai

This summer, I and a few other classmates from my college went to Shanghai for various internships. It was a great group, and we became closer to one another as we experienced Shanghai together. For my internship, I worked with a Public Relations and Communications start-up, GenNow, located at a WeWork facility. Being in a WeWork space was one of my favorite parts of the internship because it’s an environment where so many different start-ups are working on tons of interesting projects all in the same building. I helped write press releases, attend conferences, and edit articles.
Shanghai is something special. It’s so busy and beautiful. I met many local and international friends, and I realized how easy it is to do so. Chinese food is my favorite and in Shanghai, I was not disappointed by meals!
Consider this program even if you don’t speak any Chinese. In Shanghai, I got by from only knowing English because many people were bilingual and some public spaces had English translated signs. But still try to learn some basic Mandarin, as even a little bit can go a long way.
Overall, I left knowing a lot more about PR, international start-ups, Chinese culture, and independent travel than I did before. This experience even convinced me to consider earning a Master’s degree abroad. Many thanks to Connect-123 for the support along the way. I especially enjoyed our many group dinners and excursion to explore Nanjing!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I didn't, but my roommate tried a scorpion on a stick, and called it a "burnt crispy chip." It's a funny tourist thing
Danielle

Connect-123, Shanghai, RSA Asia

I honestly cannot fault Connect123 at all. Everything I ever asked for was always catered for and I never had any worries. While planning my internship I was so busy with studying in my third year at University but Lea had everything under control I could trust her 100% to solve any problems or answer any questions I had. She was so efficient and my emails were often answered within minutes. The experience turned out to be so much more than what I ever imagined. I was housed with very fun housemates and we are even now still in contact. I would highly recommend for anybody who is considering joining connect123 to do it, its an experience you will not forget!

Louis

Internship in Event Management - SHANGHAI

Connect-123 facilitated a custom internship in Shanghai for me. I worked at a start-up corporate wellness company that aims to bring sports and wellness to corporates. My role as an intern is mostly event management, with a little bit of marketing. I have learned so much about organizing events, corporate wellness, and the growing demand for technology in the fitness and wellness sector. I also worked out of a fantastic coworking space that has allowed me to work alongside many different international businesses. My internship in Shanghai has been an inspiring and refreshing experience. I am sure it will continue to shape my future and help me grow.

Jim

Summer in Shanghai

As I stepped out of the van sent to pick me up from the Pu Dong airport and onto the streets of Shanghai for the first time, I was overwhelmed. It was so different from America in nearly every aspect! The people, the size, the noise, the commotion. Frankly, I wondered how I would ever survive here, in this vastly foreign city.

But with the safety-net of a tight-knit group of connect-123 interns behind me, along with the support of my gregarious host organization I've come to love this city and feel a deep sense of nostalgia now that I'm leaving.

From the difficult, yet rewarding work I did teaching English language to migrant Chinese children during the week, to the interesting and fun atmosphere created by connect-123 during their weekend events, I couldn't have asked for a more balanced experience.

Although at first I was nervous, I really am thankful for connect-123 for giving me this opportunity. I not only feel that I've really grown as a person, but that I have accomplished something of substance here in this city, as well

Margaret

Connecting with Connect-123

My time in Shanghai has been nothing short of marvelous! Everything has been beyond expectations. I've learned so much from the internship at the hospital, and the people there have been very good to me - always so patient, welcoming, and educating. I had feared that the doctors and nurses would find me a burden and be cold and distant at best, but they completely and constantly proved me wrong; in fact, many times they would come to me for questions and suggestions for improving their English, and would invite me to eat with them and go out. In addition to the amazing internship, though, Connect-123 has gone above and beyond for making my time here not only comfortable, but also thoroughly productive and enjoyable. In addition they found me opportunities to volunteer and tutor, allowing me to accomplish things that I love to do and that I had not believed I could also do here. Day trips and nightly social outings were also a part of the whole Shanghai deal, allowing everyone to see not only the working and daily aspect of the city, but also many of its tourist areas, glorious views, and nightlife. The program has been stunningly flexible, incredibly thorough, and to every extent helped make my stay here more memorable. With everything Connect-123 has done, I have sincerely been able to connect with the city of Shanghai and its people in a way that I never realized I could. (Excuse the pun!)

Honestly, there is not much to change. Perhaps a little more organization for group trips or for having interns socialize with one another; but really, the program was very well done.
Alex

Great Shanghai Experience with Connect-123

Allow me to start by stating simply that Connect-123 has been one of the best organisations I have had the pleasure of working with. From my very first e-mail, to the interview and their subsequent meticulous follow-up, the sheer effervescence of everybody involved made the application process an exciting, rather than overwhelming, experience. I knew if I sent an e-mail I would have a response the next day, and usually within the next hour, even though being Australian I live in one of the world’s most inconvenient time zones. It’s that kind of customer service that would bring me back, without hesitation, to Connect-123 again.

I worked (the use of the word “intern” is actively discouraged in my organisation) for a boutique management consultancy. That they are a small organisation means I had plenty of opportunity to get actively involved simultaneously in any number of projects, ensuring that I was learning new things all the time. The work they do is incredibly diverse, and saw us doing research for a global cable news channel one day, and helping plan an MBA seminar series the next. There is a real focus on professional development too, and my supervisor was very careful to ensure that I returned home having gained genuine value from the experience.

Gabrca

Great Internship with Connect-123!

Hi-

As one of the cheapest internship programs in Shanghai, I was a little cautious at first. I need not have worried. Lea and her team are dedicated to finding the right internship for you! What I appreciated most about her approach is that you choose where you want to be and then you can have a whole range of businesses to choose from. Some other internship programs you don't know until you arrive, eek. Also if you're not satisfied with any of their selections then you can get your money back. wohoo

In regards to the internship, it was fantastic and I learned a ton. It has definitely been a crown jewel on my resume when applying to employers. I would say to the reviewer that "didn't" get a full time job out of their internship that you shouldn't expect a full time position out of the internship. The logistics of hiring someone full time out of an internship, with the respective visa, is extrodinarliy difficult. Rather you should expect some great international experience in a multinational office.

In regards to support in Shanghai, its a small operation, so I was a little disappointed on that front. I made more friends out of the program than within. The housing company they hook you up with is a little expensive for Shanghai, but worth it for convenience . It's a great location in the city!

All in all, I had a blast and would recommend Connect 123 looking for internship experience in another country.

More events once in Shanghai. I know it is a small operation, we only had about 8 interns in the program when I was there but still could have been better organized & planned.
Elena

Shanghai Internship

My internship was in a lifestyle magazine, I worked there for 2 months as a photojournalist. I never expected the work to be so much fun: I went to interesting places, met different people, tried so many new dishes and drinks. This was a huge motivation for me to make good photos for the magazine, so I worked hard and I enjoyed it a lot. I could literally see the quality difference between my photos at the beginning and at the end of my internship so I can sincerely say that I grew professionally in those 2 months.

I guess I'd rather live in one flat with other people from the program, although my flatmates were also very nice.
Maybe I'd prefer more opportunities to meet other people from the program.
Arcturus

Shanghai, everything you need

I found that after talking to other interns here in Shanghai, Connect 123 provided me with everything I needed, and responded in a timely manner to all my concerns and questions with professionalism. While housing and location is nothing fancy, they do try their best to provide you with all the basic needs at a reasonable price. They were able to locate me a job that fit very well in my field of study, and continue to keep me updated. I would highly recommend Connect 123 to someone who has little experience traveling abroad.

Inez

I will be back!!!

my experience this last 4 months in shanghai has been extremely awesome (and i dont think hyperboles exist in this description)
huge props to connect teams; lea, sherilyn, and jimmy for helping from the beginning to the end; start with the housing, offering so many options of intenships that fit in to you, creating social events, etc. this internship experience really helped me to explore and gain experience in some jobs in field of my competences that really valuable for my future career. Also through this internship, i have expend my networking and make life-time friends. Thank you so much connect 123! A+ (shanghai, i definitely will be back, watch out!! )