Shanghai Future Leader Internship Program

University of Texas at Austin Shanghai Internship City Tour
University of Texas at Austin Shanghai Internship City Tour
Discover internships abroad with Next Step Connections at GO! Overseas
Students of the University of Texas at Austin Shanghai Summer Internship Program
Next Step Connections interns on a trip during the internship program, 2011

Shanghai is one of the largest cities by population in the People's Republic of China, and the world. The city is located in eastern China, at the middle portion of the Chinese coast, and sits at the mouth of the Yangtze River. Due to its rapid growth over the last two decades it has again become a global city, exerting influence over finance, commerce, fashion, technology and culture. It is often described as the "showpiece" of the booming economy of Mainland China.

• Custom made Internships! The most important element of our program is the internship experience itself. We operate a formal internship placement process for each of our student.
  • NSC: A true family with experienced and dedicated staff members! Our team is composed of individuals from France, China, United States, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand.
  • Meet the world! A key aspect of our program is the diversity of our participants. Each year, we receive students from over 30-35 countries, so each apartment is composed of students from different nationalities, cultures, customs.
  • Build soft skills and Increase personal development to reach full potential! All of our interns have grown personally and professionally through our program by interning and living in an international city.
  • In-Country Support! Health and safety in-country is one of our top priority. We are available during office hours for any non-life threatening issues and 24/7 for any life-threatening issues. This includes crisis management plan.

Yiying

Review-Shanghai internship

It is a good experience for me to participate in this summer internship program. And it is an opportunity for me to intern in two different companies in different industries. One is Huaxia Finance in the financial industry, and another one is Jingdigital for marketing tasks. In JINGdigital, I learned the general operation about the marketing department, and study some marketing knowledge, especially in content marketing and marketing automation. Otherwise, I am being given so much responsibility and room to grow. And interns are treated like any other employees in the company and allows you to understand the role of full-time employees. Nice experience.

To improve this program, it is recommended to provide more company choices in every industry.
Xuzhi

Internship of Daxue Consulting

Daxue Consulting is a market research company located in Shanghai, and it mainly focuses on the market development and strategies in the Chinese market. I was honored to be assigned to the marketing group and worked to search relevant materials and data to write out articles with insights into the Chinese market. To finish the articles, I need to search for news, data, and relevant articles to have inspirations and choose a suitable topic to describe a specific area of the Chinese market. Then I must use different data source with a cross-check to obtain reliable data, and then use the data as supportive proofs to showcase the company's views of a certain sphere of the Chinese market. By now, I have finished totally 5 articles about spirits, IPO, negative list, sports multi-media, and Huawei-ban.

I have improved the ability of searching data, concluding, and SEO.
chijie

Internship Program

The internship has been a month. Open communication was one of the strongest and most apparent skills that I learned during my internship. When I first started interning, I was intimidated and nervous to ask too many questions because I didn’t want to admit that I didn’t understand or that I needed extra help with something. Luckily I got over that fear quickly because asking questions is the only way to learn what you are really supposed to be doing. I found that my boss and fellow staff members appreciated it more if I asked too many questions to make sure I really understood what it was doing and that I did it correctly. If I had not worked with such cooperative and helpful people, I probably would have been too intimidated to ask questions in my next job. Now that I know it is not bad to ask questions, I won’t have to struggle with it in my future job. Without open communication between everyone in an office, I don’t see how any work can be done.

I am very grateful to the internship unit for providing me with such a good internship opportunity. Through this, I have definitely gained valuable work experience, and grew as an individual.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Actually before the internship, I feel worried for my hotel. Because compare the study tour we are not good. But not bad when I lived in. It's amazing.
summer

intern

Shanghai is fun, my workmates are nice.The working environment of Shanghai Golin is very good, and the colleagues are very friendly to us. Let me have a different experience of what and how can be a agency, which benefits me a lot. My internship time at Golin was very lucky and interesting, there is always happy laughters and cheerful voices around me.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
There is heavy traffic in Shanghai.................
Yunzhe

Internship

This six week intership program will soon come to an end. During this program, I have learned a lot from my mentor. Before I take this intern, I know nothing about this industry. I'm really nervous because I haven't got too much professional knowledge about PR. But after I worked in the company for a week, I gradually understood the work of PR industry and also met many lovely colleagues. Although I didn't have a lot of chances to fully put what I have learned from the class into practice, the experience in this brand-new team is important and memorable. This internship is just the first step for my future career. No matter whether I will work in the same industry in the future, what I have seen and heard in this company and all the projects I have participated in will be a valuable experience for me.

Learn a lot from the mentor and the intern company
CHENG

internship

My company is a young tech start-up focusing on AI chips with a young workforce. Although the scale is not large, the work content is quite rich, especially about the Chinese artificial intelligence market, which makes me have a deeper understanding, which also makes me more and more interested in this field. Recently, I also learned more about the industry through attending some science and technology innovation exhibitions as an exhibitor and felt the atmosphere of creative city, Shenzhen.

Moreover, the conversation with my supervisor also impressed me a lot, she told me that some details in your performance or attitude will be critical for your future. In short, this internship helped me understand the operation mode and daily work of start-up companies, so it was very helpful to me.

Tianyu

Shenzhen internship

How time flies! This internship is nearing its end. During this six weeks’ studying and working, I feel I have learned some practical skills about company analysis and financial industry which will be helpful for my future career life. In the past, I have acquired some economic knowledge, but I have no opportunity to apply it to the work. This time, by this internship programme, I have a chance to apply what I have learned to solve practical problems and accumulate working experience. As a rookie in the workplace, this internship is the first step to start my career and it makes me know how to behave in the working environment.

All in all, I am so glad to have this internship experience and I really learned a lot by this internship. I hope this program will help more students in the future.

Prepare for it and make a pre-study of what you will do.
YU

Review

During this time, I learned a lot of things that I couldn't learn at school, and I realized a lot of my own shortcomings. The following is a summary of my work during the internship and some of my own experiences.For me, the internship gives me more opportunities to try different jobs and play different social roles. Through the internship I found my true potential and interest, which helped me to define my future career direction. As a student, I believe that the purpose of learning is to acquire knowledge and acquire work skills. In other words, to study at school is to be able to adapt to the needs of society. Through learning, we can ensure that we can accomplish future work and contribute to society. It is a blessing for me to be able to enter the company as an internship to adapt to the society. I understand the actual needs of the work through the internship and make the purpose of learning more clear.

relevant experiences、knowledge and work skills about internship
Ruansi

internship in Corerain in Shenzhen

Having been an intern of Corerain in Shenzhen for almost one month, I think I gain a lot from this experience. First of all, it provides me with plenty of cases in real life about how to sell a product and how to conduct marketing procedure. Other than that, I also acquired some useful technical skills like the layer covering and photoshop. For the rest time, I will also make my every endeavor to overcome all the difficulties in work and achieve my individual value finally.

Generally speaking, there is a big gap between the school's living environment and the social working environment. During these six weeks, I learned how to change the role of a student to a professional. The school focuses on developing students' learning and professional skills. The society focuses on the professional knowledge and business skills of its employees. In order to meet the social survival requirements, in addition to strengthening the theoretical knowledge in the classroom, we must personally contact the society to participate in work practices. This internship experience allowed me to consolidate my knowledge and use it, broaden my horizons and enrich my knowledge.

make full preparation before starting the internship~(include the job responsibilities and what are your missions during this period. )
JIAQI

Internship

First of all, you need to figure out the career direction that you are interested in and prepare your own resume. Then the staff will contact you and have a phone call with you to discuss for more detail. After that the staff will look for proper positions according to your preference. They will help you sent out your resume as well and of course you need to attend the interview by yourself. After you successfully applied for the internship, they will book the air ticket and pick you in the airport. Accommodation is provided, and it is very closed to the metro. They will follow up your condition any time during your internship period. The company they found for client is generally in the leading position in corresponding industry, which have open, positive and amiable working atmosphere. Overall, the project is worth trying.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Lots of people in Shanghai smoke while walking....
Jiali

intern

I am so excited about this intern experience. I learned a lot from this intern. In addition to better understanding of professional knowledge, I have also learned the necessary qualities of some professionals, such as pragmatism, innovation and so on.
From the first day of internship,I was deeply impressed by the harmonious atmosphere, humanized management and pragmatic work style. As an intern in marketing department, collecting information is the basic and important job. In the process of collecting samples and information, I learned a lot about their brand in the industry. Also, in each week, I need to write two articles, which improved my writing skill. I felt this is a meaningful experience. This internship can complete my resume as well.

Jing

Six weeks intern in SH

The overall internship experience was good. From start, NSC found me several consulting and event planning companies up to my expectation. I chose to go to a boutique digital consulting company. It was a startup and half of the workers here are interns. Before this internship, I only had experience at financial instituitions and I was not familiar with social media management, advertising and copywrighting at all. My supervisor and coworkser were very helpful. They explained the assigned work very detailedly. And they were glad to give me advises to improve working efficiency. During the internship, I learnt about consulting industry and digital advertising. The workload was heavy but I did learnt a lot. It definitely prepared me for my future career.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
All the coworkers are very devoted to work. The avarage working time is over 12 hours a day. Startups are good for people who want to gain knowledge and experiences in a very short time.
Anna

New Experience

The six-week internship in Shanghai allowed me to turn the theories learnt into practices and understand the China market more thoroughly. Shanghai is a good place to stay at, with convenient transportation, efficient food delivery service, friendly environemnt, cozy weather, as well as a huge variety of food and many leisure places to visit during the weekend. The Program enabled me to experience Shanghai in different ways and meet some new friends here. People here are friendly and helpful. The working culture here is quite flexible and easy to adapt to. Working in a multinational company specializes in travel marketing, PR and communications, and digital marketing enabled me to learn more about the industry and the latest travel market trends, which helped my future career development.

Enjoy and food and places here. Try new things, and remember to apply for mobile payment methods.
mingyang

Internship Review

I have wonderful internship experience in shanghai, the food is good, my workmates are friendly. my leader always care about me, they taught me a lot of new things. I am happy for the internship experience in shanghai. Everything was good.

chijie

Internship Program

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Actually before the internship, I feel warried for my hotel. Because compare the study tour we are not good. But not bad when I lived in. It's amazing.