London: Semester & Summer Internships

An international internship at FIE is a pre-professional, field-based experience coupled with coursework. It is a fantastic way for students to experience working life in another country, and to refine their future career goals and strengthen their resume. The study and intern program is available for the fall and spring semester (15.5 weeks), a shorter course (9-10.5 weeks) is offered during winter quarter or summer. FIE's Experiential Education Team evaluates a student's CV, coursework and experience carefully to ensure an appropriate match is made between the student's background and an organization's needs.

• London is your classroom! Using the city, your faculty will lead co-curricular activities to museums, theatre productions, brewerys, historic sites, and more to put classroom theory into practice.
  • FIE offers engaging and varied coursework, taught by renowned faculty. Elective offerings include courses in arts, literature, theater, global business, history, politics, social science, media, communication, social justice and contemporary Britain.
  • FIE's relationships with local organizations and businesses are unparalleled. The quality of our internship placements is consistently strong and well-matched to students' professional goals helping you build your skills and your resume.
  • FIE offers a Service Internship pathway for those students who wish to pursue a professional experience in a not-for-profit or charity environment while giving back to the greater London community. Unlike a traditional internship, a student's primary focu
  • The International Internship Course (IIC) provides students with the opportunity to ground their field-based internship experience with academic analysis and reflection. The IIC will help you channel your developing professional and cultural skills and pr

Hi! While I was abroad studying at FIE, I took two of their offered classes. The first was a course called British Life in Business, and the second was an Internship class. In British Life in Business, we learned a ton about the UK. We learned about the history of the monarchy, how businesses operate there, and about different governmental policies that effect businesses. It was particularly...

Cristina

Best experience of my life!

You know when you look forward to something all your life and when it happens, its a disappointment?
Well this was the complete opposite. I had been dreaming of living in London all my life and the program exceeded all expectations. I cannot stress enough how much London has impacted. I went in the Fall.

FIE is set up in a way that half the time you are studying with professors and half the time you are placed in an internship. For the studying portion, I had really great professors like Dr. Carolina Valiente who was great Finance professor. I also had the chance to fulfil a passion of mine and take street photography. Because of that class, I realized how much I had been keeping my creative side dormant and now I even have my own graphic design freelance business on the side!

For internship portion, they say we will get to experience diverse professional settings and boy did I ever. I was placed in Mercato Metrapolitano-an vibrant food market- where I got to work with Italians who fed me and talk me essential Italian phrases like dov'è il bagno or Posso avere più vino. It so happens that an independent cinema owner-Backyard Cinema (recommend everyone attends a showing) also shared space in the market. Me as a cinema lover was so excited with the unique experience that I asked if I could also work with them in my time off so I can attend showings and in no time I was participating in the brainstorming of their next season! It was so exciting, I still keep up with them from time to time. Don't be afraid to ask for opportunities, the worst thing they can do is say no.

The best recommendation I can give anyone is to not be afraid to experience. I went to 7 countries in the short four months I was there and trust me, if I had more time the number would have doubled. I recommend if you are booking a flight, not to be afraid of using nearby airports like Gatwick, Luton or Stansted because tickets tend to be cheaper even if you include the transportation cost of going back to South Kensington. Explore beyond South Kensington, places like Elephant and Castle and Brixton are gems of their own. Never check bags, it is time consuming and stay in hostels! I met so many great people who went exploring with me around the different cities!

Also, don't be afraid to go by yourself to the study abroad trip. You will make friends with the people you live. I knew nobody coming to London and to this day, my flatmate became my best friend. In fact my favorite memory was in one of those nights out, we went out to celebrate, got lost in the process, figured out the bus system (back when Piccadilly line was not 24-hours) and bar hops around London.

All in all, use all the time you have, it is gone in an instant!

Four months was not enough.
Emilie

Greatest part of my university experience

Studying abroad and interning with FIE was incredible. I made some of the most amazing, kind, adventurous friends in the world, see things I’d only dreamed of seeing, and gain international work experience on top of that. I couldn’t imagine a better program, honestly. I loved every minute of it and wish I could do it all over again.

I think what I’d tell future students is whatever city you’re studying in, let that city become home. Let yourself be comfortable there, do your best to live how a native Londoner, etc. lives. That makes it feel like you have a home to go back to across the globe from where you’re from. It’s a feeling unlike anything I anticipated when I left for my study abroad experience.

The one thing I wished is the that internship was longer. I felt like just as I got settled in my jobs and duties, it was time for me to leave.
Nena

Not worth the money or time

I have studied abroad before, which was the best experience of my life. I was very exited for the opportunity to study abroad again, especially with an internship. The school is located in a great area, but the housing itself desperately needs updating. The school crams as many students as possible into each flat. There are cleaning staff that clean the flats each week but they barely touch anything and the house got so dirty to the point that several girls were grossed out walking into the common areas. The classes themselves were okay (lots of field trips) except that the school does not have many accreditations and so a lot of the classes offered were not accepted by my school. The internship office is not as good as they make it out to be. Only 10% of the people from the program were satisfied with their internships. Several of us got such poor internship placements that we cannot put them on our resume. This is the sole reason that I chose this program, but had I know the truth I definitely would have not done it. The social scene is good. If you find the right group of people, then you will have a great time- there is always plenty of things to do in London. They give you a free oyster card which saves a lot of money! If you are looking to go somewhere just for fun, this is the right program. However, if you are looking for a program that will help you to grow personally and professionally, this is definitely not the right program. Although I did enjoy myself, I was thoroughly misled and dissapointed by my experience in this program.

Response from Foundation for International Education

Hi Nena,
We’re sorry you were disappointed with your study and internship experience in London.

During your time with us, we offered to meet with you many times and did offer alternatives and potential solutions in conjunction with your home university. Our staff involved feel they have given you the tools needed to improve your personal situation with difficulties with residence life and concerns with your internship. It is unfortunate that you did not follow through with these as we think this could have helped. Studying and interning abroad in London is just as much about personal growth, problem-solving, and confidence building as it is about putting something great on your resume.

We’re happy you enjoyed your classes and found London to be an exciting place to explore and we hope you’ll be back soon!

Sincerely,
FIE London Team

No, I don't recommend
Kristina

FIE- FANTASTIC, INTERESTING and EXCITING

Where can I even start with this review?? My summer in London was truly an unforgettable one. First of all, South Kensington was an absolutely lovely place to be. I never for one second doubted my safety. There were also so many restaurants around that were affordable, welcoming, and most importantly - delicious. (Bella Italia, SCOOP, and Dozo to name a few). We were super close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens which are both adventures ready to be taken on in themselves, and I loved every second of it. One of my favorite memories was watching my friends roll down the hills outside Kensington Palace (and yes I said watch them- I didn't join for fear of grass stains). We also had so much fun experiencing and discovering the night life in London. However, for those of you that are not too keen on this, I never once felt like I had to go out. There are SOOOO many things to do in London besides indulge in the perks of being of drinking age. We went to pretty much all of the extracurricular events provided by FIE-. This includes plays (my personal favorite), rooftop mini golf, and the London Eye. London is huge and the possibilities for adventures are truly endless.

The classes we took during our time in London were incredible. I took British Life in Business, which was learning about business in England and the England culture overall. This class also included a ton of field trips. I was so so excited to take our field trip to Parliament and it's safe to say the trip went above and beyond my expectations. And of course the field trip to the brewery was super fun!! (Going to Wimbledon was also something I was crazy about!!). The internship class was also an incredible experience because it helped to actually take our internship and put into words how it was helping us grow professionally. I personally love professional development which was mainly the focus of the class. In addition, each professor I had was truly amazing in their own way. They both cared passionately about us and the topics we were covering, and personally made me feel comfortable talking to them if I ever needed to.
The internship was also something I will never forget. It was a phenomenal experience. I had never had an internship before, but it didn't matter because the FIE staff worked tirelessly to make sure every student got the best internship placement possible.

I encourage anyone considering studying with FIE to GO FOR IT!!! It was scary, and intimidating, and pushed me out of my comfort zone. But it was also exciting, fun, and challenged me in ways I'd never thought possible. I grew immensely from this experience and any bump in the road I encountered was put out of my mind because everything else was so amazing. The FIE staff truly cared about our well being and was there if we ever needed anything. I promise you, doing this will not be something you regret.

Alex

Great Program

I really enjoyed my experience in London through FIE. Location was prime and they ran the program well! By locating us in Kennsington, we were very well connected to everything via the Underground and buses. The internship component of the program was very valuable, and they did a great job setting that up

Liz

To London, with Love

I haven't stopped talking about this experience since I returned to the states in April of 2013. From the phenomenal housing to the always-going social scene, the depth and breadth of free art, the fact that you're a train ride away from nearly anywhere you'd want to come in Europe...this study abroad experience is one I'd recommend to anyone.

While I didn't find FIE itself hugely helpful, the professors I studied with were engaging and entertaining. I cannot emphasize enough, as an English nerd, how much I loved studying Shakespeare in London, touring the Globe, and seeing a modern retelling of Twelfth Night. The British culture course was also just an interesting way to engage with the city.

The most wonderful aspect of FIE is the housing/transportation included in this study. I doubt I will ever live in as upscale a neighborhood as FIE's South Kensington apartments; even though I lived on the top floor of a seven-floor walk-up, being in central London was utterly worth it. The area is safe and hugely accessible. There are plenty of small grocery marts and cafes (there was a new, to-die-for French pastry shop literally around the corner from my building on Manson Place, with meringues as big as your head).

It's a few minutes' walk from Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens, the V&A and several other museums; it's the perfect place to stay and be connected to the city. This program also knows how important transportation is in London and supplied us with Tube & bus passes, which lifted what could have been a big part of financing the experience and allowed us the freedom to travel wherever we liked within the city. They also offered some discounted trips, tickets, and experiences like high tea at the start of the term, which was a great way to plan out some London-sightseeing throughout the year.

It's fairly simple to buy some inexpensive towels and bed linens at stores like Primark (the UK version Marshalls), as you're on your own for the former and the latter were a little sparse, at least in my building. But the experience...looking back, my appreciation for those four months only continues to increase.

And, not to give anyone absurdly false hopes or anything, but Englishmen and Europeans are lovely and direct (being asked out on a date, straightforwardly, is nice!). I very happily met a man I fell utterly in love with while in London, and our first date walking up and down the South Bank of the Thames, followed by cooking dinner at the flat I stayed in, remains one of my fondest memories there.

The internet in the building isn't so great, and the front desk people were consistently not super helpful (there was a broken key incident that would take far too long to tell), but overall the location and transport and the centrality of this program in London far outweigh the negative bits.
Allie

My life-changing London experience

Studying abroad in London absolutely changed my life. I had not considered moving to and working in another country until I had studied abroad. Now I plan on moving back to London after graduation. I honestly never thought I would feel so independent and confident after having studied abroad. I truly miss London everyday.

The photos posted of the housing were not true to what the apartments actually looked like. Flats need updating.
Mohammed

UW in London

My expectations were exceeded upon immediately arriving in London. FIE staff were extremely helpful and welcoming into our new home for the next couple months. Our housing was located in a flat across the street from Hyde park in the Kensington neighborhood of London. We were able to travel and get around London easily on the underground train or"tube". The people were friendly and there was always something exciting to do in London. I definitely recommend London and FIE if you're planning to study abroad in England.

Nicholas

FIE London, A Safe, Reliable Program To Launch A Semester Of A Lifetime

I came from a military family and never got to see anything besides the East Coast of the U.S. I always had a urge to see the world and the people that also call it home. London was the city that crammed with more of the world than any other. FIE London made my accommodation and experience in this city incredible.

Many study abroad organizations are new and are thrown together to catch a growing wave of international student travel. You often hear of disaster experiences with study abroad programs that ruined the entire trip for students. FIE has been doing this for awhile and it was apparent for me in how well the operation was run.

Quick tips for London study:

- don't buy anything the semester before, become a hermit
- understand the program can offer you opportunities but it's on you to grab them and turn them into memories and experience
- budget, budget
- if you aren't sure, reach out to alumni. nearly all will be very willingly tell you about the experience, long as you're prepared for an ear full

The Experience:

The classes were held in the elegant and very safe neighborhood of South Kensington, right down the road from the (free!) Natural History Museum. This was a wild contrast from the North Philadelphia ghetto my school was located in.

We spent Monday - Wednesday studying British Media with professionals who have worked for organizations like the BBC and Al Jazeera. I took a travel writing class that involved field trips to London's hidden gems and writing about our travel experiences. Thursdays and Fridays were dedicated to internships if you choose that option.

What I liked most was seeing the complexity of the international world. A evening travel across the city can expose you two dozens of different languages and pass you by businesses, franchises and brands owned by nationalities from all corners of the global.

In all it's a special experience full of thrills and adventure. FIE acts as the perfect home base for your British/European expedition.

Stephanie

108 days that changed me

Living in a different country can be very difficult, a new neighborhood, a new dialect, but most importantly you're all by yourselve !

I moved from Germany to the US a few years ago and I decided to go London for a semester, thinking it would be nice to closer to home again. However, what I experienced was more than just the traveling, the partying and other typical things that happen studying abroad. I actually grew up !

London is a city that has very limited space and we students got put into housing in Chelsea, right at Kings Road. For those who don't know, this is quite the expensive area and is one of the safest area's in London. Life never stops on King's road, the grocery store is in walking distance, all the buses go downtown and I just miss living there every day since I left.
So how did all this change me ?

- Life is expensive in London, therefore cooking your own meals is the cheapest way to go
- Making my own decisions, like where do I travel next ?
- Interning in a different country/city, getting sent on some random tasks downtown, not having an idea where to find certain items is definitely a challenge. I remember taking a cab once asking my driver where I could find these items. (don't ever take a cab unless you're that desperate)

This list goes on and on, but I seriously forgot about all the problems I have back home. I had enough money saved up to do what I wanted, without asking my parents. I traveled so much, that I even fell in love with Scotland and I would do almost everything so that I could go back for Fall Break.

I had such great experience with this program and made so many friends that I traveled back there this summer and went to the new show from my internship and just wish I could relive this experience.

PS Don't forget that on a study abroad program you also have to study! All I can say is that the FIE professors are amazing people and I learned so much from them and I wish I could take more classes with them :)

Meredith

My experience with FIE

I arrived in Kings Cross where I was scheduled to check in at Nido, our living accommodations while in London. Nido is a very modern building that is less than five years old. Not only were the thirty-three Temple University study abroad participants staying here, but students from all over the world. Despite finding my room to be the size of a shoe box, I was able to overlook the cramped living situation because it forced you to spend more time in the common rooms meeting diverse people from all different cultures.

As for the school part - I was thrilled to find out my that I would have Mondays off because this meant more time to take trips! On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I had classes like Travel Writing, English Broadcast Communications, and the London Olympics. On Thursday and Friday, those who had chosen to participate in an internship (me) would attend their place of work from 9am to 5pm. I was fortunate to be assigned to a beauty, health, and nutrition public relations agency called CCD PR. It was an intimidating experience, my first internship being in a whole new country that had different expectations of office culture, but I adjusted and learned a lot in the process.

Even though the class and work experience were wonderful, it was the traveling I did on the weekends that taught me the most. I took advantage of cheap flights, buses, and trains, traveling to Dublin, Paris, Bath, Rome, Florence, Venice, and a solo trip to Wales. I also stayed once the program was over and went to Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, and Berlin. I spent some time solo while in Amsterdam and Bruges where I met an English girl who was traveling the same route as me. It was surprising how much I connected with her. It was extremely refreshing and when we parted ways, I knew she would be a very special part of my experience.

About Foundation for International Education

Broaden your horizons by studying abroad in London, Dublin or London-Amman with FIE: Foundation for International Education. Since 1998 FIE has been delivering renowned academic programs with an eye on experiential education and utilizing the city as...