Global Experiences Internships in Milan, Italy

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Global Experiences has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Duomo
Fashion internships in Milan, Italy
Fashion internships in Milan, Italy
Internships in Milan, Italy
Internships in Milan, Italy

The fast-paced and lively metropolis of Milan is perfect for nearly anyone looking to intern abroad. Interning in Milan is a fantastic opportunity for students and young professionals looking to gain professional experience. As the business capital of Italy, Milan has opportunities in everything from fashion design to online marketing and everything in-between.

As an intern, you’ll have the chance to immerse yourself in your chosen career field all while enjoying everything Milan has to offer. We do our best to tailor an internship to your background and future goals. We support you every step of the way to make sure your Milan internship is an experience you’ll never forget. Students and young professionals from the U.S. and Canada, don’t miss out on this life-changing international opportunity!

Please note, the program fee includes a guaranteed internship, housing, social events, a career development program, 24/7 staff support, health and travel insurance, and much more.

• Guaranteed Internship: As part of the Global Experiences' program you are guaranteed an internship in your host city. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals.
  • Personalized Attention: We want this experience to be as fulfilling as possible. From the first phone call, we support you and give you all the resources you need to make sure your internship is a success.
  • Immersion Language Classes: To help you jumpstart your time abroad you will be enrolled in an Italian language course for the first few weeks of your program.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with potential employers, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • On-Site Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Milan year-round and provides you with an insider's glimpse of the city. The LC is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and takes all the interns on a range of social events.

To apply for Global Experiences, you can do so on our application page here: https://www2.globalexperiences.com/apply-now Hope this helps!

There is a $25 application fee for international applicants which must be paid to move forward in the application process and participate in the program.

When applying, you apply to one of our specific program sessions. The longest sessions we have are our fall and spring programs, which are about 12-15 weeks. The summer sessions are 8 weeks. You can find more information here: https://www.globalexperiences.com/dates-tuition/ Thank you for you inquiry, hope this helps!

It is not essential to speak Italian in order to participate in the Milan program. The majority of our interns who have attended the programs in Italy did not speak any Italy. While the majority of our placements in Milan are in English, we encourage that interns familiarize themselves with some of the Italian basics they learn in their language classes. Hope this helps!

Alexis

My amazing time in Milan

I just recently got back from a 3 month long internship in Milan. My internship was in fashion business. I had an amazing time and was very satisfied with my experience with GE. I worked in a showroom and got to work with buying, social media, and learn more about the fashion industry. I was there during fashion week and I was even lucky enough to get to experience shows and events during fashion week.
I got a lot of work experience at my internship and useful thing to take forward with me. The placement fit well for me and I enjoyed where I worked. I lived relatively near my work and the commute was easy. GE location coordinators always checked up on us and was very helpful throughout the time there. I really enjoyed my internship and time in Milan.

Put in effort to learn about the culture, people, & language because it will make your experience so much better!

Jade

Milan 2019

This internship really helped me grow in my career! I learned so much about the buying and marketing and customer relations. During my time as an intern I was offered a lot of tasks that I feel most employers would not trust interns. My employer made sure that I was learning and being involved throughout everything.Seeing FASHION SHOWS during Milan Fashion Week! were amazing!! As well as understanding that I am a student wanting to travel and see Europe. What other better city than Milan the fashion capital of Europe!! And now my company that I interned at has offered to let me work from them while back home!
Having an international internship makes my resume look so unique. Jobs are now asking less questions and asking 'when can I start?'

More activities together. Such as day trips. Take a weekend to bring the group especially if they are small like the Fall/Spring to an overnight trip to Rome or Florence. Maybe Have a huge ga†her of all Italy interns to meet more people.
Erika

Milan

I loved everything about my internship! I lived in a beautiful apartment with people who were different than myself and that I ended up connecting well with. My internship was such an amazing experience. I met so many great people and made so many connections with people from all of the world. I also learned a lot about what i want to do with fashion in the future. I was able to do so many things at my internship that I did not expect. They allowed me to do really important tasks and it really helped me learn about the industry. I also loved that Global Experiences planned social events to allow us to get to know each other outside our internships. I had such a good time. I truly would recommend doing an internship with Global Experiences.

Go everywhere and do everything! Allow yourself to open up to the culture.
Daphne
No, I don't recommend this program

Not worth the money.

I had initially applied for the program two years prior to my actual start date and had wanted to go into Fashion Business. By the time I did my interview which was a month before the start date of the program, I realized that Fashion Business was not what I wanted to do considering I had just graduated and received my degree at a Fashion Institute. I was told that it was too late to switch into a Fashion Design internship and I was upset but understood. I already have a good job in Fashion Design and wanted to learn the business aspect of the work industry. Coming to Milan I had the idea that working in a showroom for Fashion Business I would be LEARNING and WORKING. I worked forty hours a week and the first two weeks (when I was most occupied) I did not do anything related to fashion but was told to call over 2500 companies and send thousands of emails. I never once interacted with the customers that came in to shop at the showroom but sat behind a desk for nine hours a day the rest of the six weeks, and was given a task for about an hour of the nine I worked. I had told my location coordinator that I was unhappy with my internship from day one. I told myself to give it time and waited for it to get better and it never did. My location coordinator was aware that I was unhappy and told me that she would talk to my internship and have a midway interview with me and my supervisor so that they could assign me more tasks. I never had an interview with my internship and GE. I learned absolutely nothing at my internship besides finding a way to occupy myself for eight hours a day, in addition to me not learning I was TEACHING the other EMPLOYERS how to do THEIR JOB, why did I pay $8000 to learn, when I paid to teach and rot in boredom. Besides the horrible internship, my housing was not ideal either. I lived in a loft in a nice area of Milan. The location was great, but I shared a bed with my roommate. We were given a queen sized wood framed bed and a smaller than twin sized foldable hotel pull out bed that slid across the floor. Somehow these two beds were supposed to be equal. Again after being aware GE did nothing that we were sharing a bed and failed to give us another one that was worth the money I paid for housing. The only good thing that came out of this were the other people on the trip whom I created friendships with, and they also disliked their internships and had their time wasted.

Don't tell fallacies to incoming interns to have them get their time and money wasted.
Response from Global Experiences

Hi Daphne,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that the program wasn't what you had hoped and I would like to address your concerns to ensure we are always providing a quality experience in Milan.
As a reminder, our location staff are always available to hear your concerns. You were prompted to give feedback regarding your internship and you reported everything was going fine. You have shared that you would have been better suited to a design placement, but as we explained to you prior to your departure, Milan is very competitive in the design industry. You agreed fashion business would be interesting to you and that is the internship you received.
As for housing, your location coordinator was available 24/7 in case of emergencies or even just to talk about issues and they could have helped you navigate any housing problems you might have been having; however, you did not inform us at any point during your program.
We take feedback very seriously and believe in continually improving our programs. Please contact us if you would like to address this further.
Sincerely,
Rachel V Smith
Program Director - Italy, Global Experiences

Jada

Great Experience

I was completely happy and satisfied with my placement, housing, and roommate. I have no complaints really. I started my journey to Milan 2 years ago, there were a few bumps in the road getting there but it worked out for the best in the end. I wish it wasn't so expensive, so everyone could experience it. I would do it again, but for less. I don't think its worth that much but i am very happy i did it, and i would consider paying it again if i had to. I loved the team, the program members I met along the way and of course my BOSS! I traveled, I learned, and most of all I had so much fun. You really can have it all. The memories made will never be forgotten nor will the people. It was truly life-impacting.
Now that I am back in America, I am ready to go back! I encourage everyone, I mean EVERYONE to INTERN/ STUDY ABROAD... someway, somehow!

Tell all the program pros and cons to students before they sign up. Other, than that nothing :)
Barbara

Amazing Experience

Internship:
I worked as an International Sales and Marketing Intern for a showroom. My co-workers quickly became like family. Although I was not always incredibly busy, I was given more responsibilities than I thought I would which I am truly grateful for. I gained so much knowledge and confidence during my internship. It was an incredible resume builder.

Housing:
I stayed in an apartment with 2 other GE interns. Our apartment was really nice, although we did not have AC (not shocking in Europe). The location of my apartment wasn't the greatest but once you learn to take the metro, Milan is a very easy city to navigate.

Fun, friends, travel:
I made incredible friends with fellow interns. I traveled all over Europe. I truly had the best summer ever!

Use apps like Omio and Moovit to navigate the city.
Michael

Great but there were downsides

When interning in Milan, get ready to be an adult because sometimes reality will check you and you need to be prepared! With that being said, I had a great internship experience when I was in Milan. Initially I was working at a showroom but then transferred to a rental agency due to not getting what I expected out of the internship. Afterwards my experience was exponentially better!! The housing was upscale but the hot water stopped working with about 3 weeks left and the refrigerator would never close and iced up, melted and ruined the flooring (can’t help that) and had to use a laundry mat (gets expensive). The location is AWESOME! Navigli is basically the go to place for nightlife. The food is some of the world’s best and the wine is just as good!! It’s an experience of which you make, so make the most of it.

Intern Dynamic
Life Consultants
Being a foreigner
Felix

Two Months in Milan

Life-changing; this is the first word that comes to mind about my experience. The Global Experiences (GE) program provided all the necessities I would need for my time in the city. The housing, despite presenting some issues, was sufficient for my time in Italy. With access to the metro lines, buses, and trams; I was able to venture around the city and explore further.
One key positive that I have taken away from this however has been the people I have shared this experiences with. The fellow Global Experiences students, staff members, and work supervisors have all been very supportive and caring to one another. Experiences are nothing unless you can enjoy it with others, and GE provided that and more during my time in Italy. This is what made this program a 10/10 for me. :)

- The assistance with housing issues; I got cold water and the issue was never resolved.