Global Experiences Internships in Milan, Italy

The fast-paced and lively metropolis of Milan is perfect for nearly anyone looking to intern abroad. Interning in Milan is a fantastic opportunity for students and young professional looking to gain professional experience. As the business capital of Italy, Milan has opportunities in everything from fashion design to online marketing and everything in-between.

As an intern, you’ll have the chance to immerse yourself in your chosen career field all while enjoying everything Milan has to offer. We do our best to tailor an internship to back your background and future goals. We support you every step of the way to make sure your Milan internship is an experience you’ll never forget.

• Guaranteed Internship: As part of the Global Experiences program you are guaranteed an internship in your host city. We do our best to find a high-quality internship that matches your background and future goals.
  • Personalized Attention: We want this experience to be as fulfilling as possible. From the first phone call, we support you and give you all the resources you need to make sure your internship is a success.
  • Immersion Language Classes: To help you jumpstart your time abroad you will be enrolled in an Italian language course for the first few weeks of your program.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving in your cover letter and resume. We also prepare you for any interview with a potential employer, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinators live in Milan year-round and provide with you with an insider’s glimpse of the city. The Location Coordinator provides 24/7 emergency support and takes all the interns on a range of social events.

I really can’t remember having to pay an application fee. I did my internship through the company global experiences so I think I paid a deposit when I️ was accepted into the program and then the full amount my program cost by a certain date. I definitely never received spam!
Sadly, Global Experiences I believe the longest internship they offer is for 3 months. Also it's best to check the rules of each country. In Italy for example unless you have a student or work visa the longest you can stay in the country or region (may include countries nearby) is 3 months. I would advise looking into other internship companies besides GE. Hope that helps!
it really depends on where they are going in Italy. Some major cities are a lot easier without knowing the Italian language than others. I was located in Milan and had a lot more trouble than friends I knew who were in Florence, who did perfectly fine. I still managed very well in Milan with knowing little to no Italian. It was difficult at times, especially within my internship, but I managed...
Hi Paz, Global Experiences advertises that you have to be between 18 -30 to be eligible for their Milan internship program.

Mackenzie

Milan 2017

Interning abroad is definitely a once and a lifetime experience that I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested. Working within Italy definitely gave me incredible life and professional skills that I’ll take with me for the rest of my life! Italy is such an incredible country with an incredibly rich culture making the past three months unforgettable. My internship definitely gave me more professional skills I was looking to gain and the work atmosphere was perfect for my personality!

I would say that more descriptive communication between the internship workplace and the placement company about personal details of students. Sometimes the language communication barrier can make things a little confusing!
Ariana

Worth it

If you are hesitant on deciding if you should join the program then I'm here to tell you that you should do it.

I wasn't sure at first, but this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The company i worked with was very reputable and let me dive right into my field of studies and helped me learn how to apply my knowledge from the classroom to the work place. Also there isn't a better city for fashion than milan. All of my coworkers were so friendly and I didn't need to know italian to get around the city (plus they were more than happy to help me out).

Bryanna

Italia io amo

Milan is a beautiful place to live, explore, and cherish, but what makes it an even better experience is attending the program through Global Experiences. I had a fashion internship while abroad and GE worked to their greatest extent to place me in an environment that catered to my specifications. I learned, grew, and was challenged throughout the summer and ultimately gained new insight on the industry and the detailed components of running your own company.

The city itself is the perfect place to get to know in a few months. A larger city with a small city feel. Anything you would think of wanting for a place to temporarily call home, Milan has it. From shopping, AMAZING food, deep culture and history, lovely museums, sites, and parks, and so much more.

One of the perks of joining GE is the fact that the program is offered to students all over the country as opposed to enrolling through your school (if they have a program like this). I got the chance to make friends with some awesome people from so many different places and backgrounds and cherished the connection with them as we all figured out how to navigate a new setting and blossom in the workplace. You also get the chance to participate in pre-planned excursions outside of Milan. We spent a day in Venice, visited Lake Como which led to a night's stay and trip to Switzerland the next day. Just a few opportunities made possible through the GE.

Join this program and have the time of your life in Milan. It will grow you, work you, and open up your eyes to all the amazing possibilities that lie ahead. I promise you won't regret a single bit.

I would say all personnel worked extremely hard to ensure we had a great time, felt safe, and made the best experiences.
Morgan

Once in a lifetime experience!

This international internship experience through Global Experiences has been better than I could have ever imagined.

I aspire to work in the consulting field and getting on the job experience while crucial to securing a job, is not very easy to find. The staff at Global was incredibly honest with me during my application process. They told me they might not be able to place me at a job in the consulting industry, especially since I had chosen Italy as my desired location. However, they advise I apply to the Milan location (due to it being the business center of Italy) rather than Florence, which was the initial site I had listed for placement. I listed other areas of business as my backup option, but somehow they found me a position with a local consulting company in Milan! I was beyond ecstatic when I found out I had secured the position with the such an organization. The experience I gained through working with this company was irreplaceable; I feel much more confident going into my job search now. I have learned skills that will not only assist me in my professional career but also just help regarding living life in our ever increasingly globalized society.

The staff at Global are always there for any questions you may have along the way as well. From my parents and Grandma requiring me to ask a million and one questions during the application process, to when you are on the ground in the city, the staff members I talked to were always kind, patient, and quick to answer any questions I had. They made calling another country home for two months not only manageable but incredibly enjoyable as well!

The other interns in the program also made the experience great. It was so great to get to meet so many funny, kind, and caring people from all over the world!

If you are contemplating participating in an experience like this, I highly encourage you to take the leap of faith and go! It's a decision I know I will look back on and smile at for the rest of my life. Thank you Global!

The only thing that might be able to be improved is stressing to the future participants that AC is not common in Italy in the summer, and they probably won't have it in their living accommodations or work place. I would definitely advise to leave any sweaters at home and substitute them for a few extra tank tops instead!
Jennifer

Fashion Blogger in Milan!

My experience has been amazing!
Nothing really about the internship that I didn't enjoy. If anything it was more like certain types of blog posts were less fun than others, but that's the same with any job. Writer's block was an obstacle for me when I wasn't terribly inspired by the project and I really had to kick myself in the pants sometimes to just get it done!
As for the Global Experiences parts of the internship I loved the outings, big surprise huh? Having Eleonora as our overseer was amazing, she's the best! Friend, tour guide (because she knows alot about the places we go!), guardian angel. We were lucky to have her, she's very sweet and kind and it was great knowing if we needed something or had questions she would be very prompt with her responses.
The schooling sadly did little for me, maybe it was just my learning style didn't fit but I regret not using that two weeks to just travel. The instructors themselves were very friendly though.
Another thing, the metro card, guys this saves us so much hassel! Never get rid of this! Ever!

Talking about my internship:
When I arrived and began working with my supervisor, a fashion blogger, we jumped right in to things. She had me up an running with all the log in's for her email, wordpress, pinterest, twitter, and instagram in the first few days and by the end of the first week I was keeping her calendar, reasearching trends, writing blog posts and going along for outfit pickups and events. I also helped her shoot a look book for a designer she was consulting for which was pretty cool.
Fashion week itself was a different kind of schedule altogether. Before fashion week it's all about the prep work like picking up fashion week outfits from press rooms, writing about what trends we will see in the show as well as keeping up the everyday work like shooting and writing about different outfits. We also try and lay out a tentitive scheduale as best we can before fashion week with the events and shows we know about before all the last minute (like 'day of' last minute) emails come in and we are scrambling to make sure they all make it on the calendar. Then it's a week of running to this show or that event, fighting for a seat amongst the seasoned fashion week photographers, and hagling with security. Exchanging pleasantries with PR, picking up press releases and goodie bags and doing all this while constantly updating twitter and instagram stories from every event you go to along the way.

After fashion week everything slows nearly to a halt for about a day or two, while we catch a breather, doing clean up work like retrning borrowed designer peices and organizing the million goodie bags with product and press releases. Then things in the writing sector take off and, because we now have so much material to work with our topic pile is overflowing, the blog post frenzy begins. So it may seem quieter because no, you aren't running around hopping on and off public transport til 8,9,10 at night, you are technically staying in but you're staying in because you have several hours, days of writing that needs to be done haha!

Working with this supervisor there's a role you don't find in a lot of work environments, she really wants you to be soaking in a learning as much as possible. It is actually a must for her, as oppossed to a lot of places where it is more 'here's the work you have done by this time, oh and hopefully it will help you learn something'. No she wants you to understand what you are doing, the reason and purpose behind doing it and how to do it well.
She also gives you a lot of independence, if you have a list of events to go to, you go on your own a lot of the time, and unless told otherwise you pretty much decide which order to go to them and when. You're job is just to make sure you make it to all of them and do the job right. So an important role here is to really keep yourself on task.

Patience, perhaps stemmed from years of retail work, has helped tremendously in this line of work and in a new country. Patience with the people, patience with the public transportation system that has an agenda of it's own and is at times utterly confusing, or on strike! Patience with those who send last minute emails but fully expect you to attend their event, and those events that don't start on time by like a whole hour. Patience with the workload, and with yourself for not having more of done.

My advice to any intern: Communicate, keep yourself in line and organized and be useful! Because it will all help you in the end!

Heather

Wonderful Summer Abroad

I just want to say that from the beginning to the end Global Experiences was very helpful and accommodating! I am so thankful to have joined this internship abroad program for it brought me a new worldly perspective without all the hassle of having to plan the trip on my own. My internship placement was perfect and my coworkers were all so welcoming and accommodating. If you are thinking of doing an internship or a study abroad program Global Experiences is the way to go !

The only things I would say to be improved would be that there are more group social events to get out and see the town. That the wifi in the campus is better and that the metro cards are preloaded so that's not an extra out of pocket expense.
Melisa

The whole package

This was a great experience that not only taught me more about the Italian culture but the work life and every day life in this country. I am grateful I was able to spend the past 3 months here and the huge personal and professional growth this experiece has provided me.

I definitely recomment this program to people who want to take a gap year, who just graduated and are not ready to go into the work force/ grad school, or to juniors and seniors who want to gain some more experience and explore the area in which they want to work.

Keeping the 4 weeks of language school.
Giving a lot of tips to interns as to where to shop, places to avoid, etc.
Isabell

One of the best experiences

This 3 month internship was one of the best learning experience I've had! I learned more about myself and of the proffessionalism at work. I did get culture shock in the beginning but was able to adjust and familiarize well thanks to Eleonora (GE staff) and the girls in the program!

Maybe have more activities.. But the trips were all great.
Lindsay

Eataly

Global Experiences has been the perfect opportunity for me. The length of the program, the people in the program, the city, etc. From exploring the center of Milan to getting lost just outside of it, everyday was an adventure. The wining and dining in Milan started my journey out perfectly. Not only did I try a thousand different types of wines, pizzas, and pastas, I also had the ability to order in the native tongue, Italian. Being able to partake in language classes is what makes this program unique. I was able to tackle my internship head on with a new diverse Italian vocabulary and the confidence to speak. I am blessed to have meet lifelong friends from home and from Italy. I will cherish the moments I had laughing, crying, and dancing on tables all over Milan. And I know, I will be back.

It would have been great to have a week inbetween the end of my internship and my departure.
Kayla

Fashion Internship in Milan!

My time with Global Experiences has been incredible. Overall the program is very structured and organized which made me always feel comfortable and safe. I have met wonderful people through GE, my internship, and language school who I know I will always stay connected to no matter where we are located in the world. My internship in Fashion Business gave me experience I couldn't get elsewhere. How many people can say they have worked a Milan Fashion Week Sales Campaign??? I loved learning the details of what happens behind the scenes in the fashion industry, and it was awesome working with collections for the next year! Aside from my internship, I learned a lot about myself from living in a foreign country. Every day was a challenge, but I loved every day I had here in Milan!

I wish I could have had more involvement in choosing my internship. For someone who has had years of experience in fashion already, sometimes I didn't feel challenged during my internship. At times I wished my internship had more valuable work for me to do. When I was busy, I loved my internship. But there would be WEEKS where I sat at my desk doing absolutely nothing (I was constantly asking for work but there was nothing for me to do).
Nicole

Never been to Italy

I had never been to Italy before and didn't know an ounce of Italian. Coming here, the first two weeks I was home sick and couldn't understand anyone and wanted to go home. By the end of my 3 month stay in Milan I didn't want to leave. I could understand everyone for the most part, I was so comfortable in my setting and the culture, learning so much about myself was having so much fun! I never thought of coming to Milan before and now I can't wait to come and visit the city and the friends I have made during my time here. This experience was amazing for me, mentally and physically and of course giving me a lot more detail to add to my resume! I would definitely recommend this experience to anyone. Traveling gives you so much more than any education you could pay for.

Make the internship dates end sooner so that people are given a week time left to see the city and immerse themselves and pack before leaving.
Madeline

Great Experience Abroad

I had an amazing three months in Milan interning at a magazine for English-speakers. I was given a lot of responsibility that is not always offered to interns and I was able to produce print articles and graphic products to add to my portfolio. Milan's a great location if you plan to travel around- Switzerland, Rome, Florence and Venice are all just a train ride away. Everyone at GE was super nice, you couldn't ask for more helpful people!

Honestly the largest problem was the wifi in the building and the maid service was semi unreliable but these were not large issues. I would say longer weekend trips- overnight and to farther away places would be really nice if they were included.
Emily

Life changing opportunity

I highly recommend Global Experiences to further not only your career but also personal growth. I have meet some fantastic people along this journey and seen beautiful locations in my free time. My internship was a lot of fun and my boss was very professional and made sure I felt comfortable. I was really appreciative that I was given the opportunity to work hand in hand with the designer and even contribute to the designs. I was able to participate much more than I thought I would. The best thing I have ever done!!

That my interview was organised a lot earlier
Karen

Milano

My overall experience was an incredible one. This was my first time ever traveling to Europe and it was not what I expected. It was more than that. The on-site staff (Eleonora), was very helpful and prompt to answer any questions I had. The mini trips to several cities where very much insightful and so much fun!

My internship placement was prompt and so great. I got to learn a lot of things, not only pertaining to my job but as an industry professional and how things work in the real world.

This experience was by far a very incredible one; I learned a lot from the people I met, the places I went and a whole new language. This is something everyone should get a chance to experience!

Mariana

Great Experience, Definitely have to live it!

At first I was really nervous because I didn´t know what to expect as a Fashion Designer Intern. It took them a little bit to find internships that fit specifically to what I was looking for, but when they finally found it, it was exactly what I wanted! I was able to go to an amazing Fashion Show, to two showrooms and to several fabric warehouses. I worked with the Architect and Fashion Designer, Alice Tamburini. Me and her assistant had to draft the patterns for her designs and sew the samples. I also made fashion research, for current trends in fabrics, colors, silhouettes, haute couture details, etc. I was also able to help with the edition of the pattern that was going to be printed in the fabric used in the collection and propose ideas. I helped a lot with the digitalizing of the Designer´s sketches through Illustrator, and also made technical flats for all her collections. So as you can see, I was involved in the whole collection production process, from a new born idea, to sketches, drafting and pattering, sewing and sampling, making technical flats and filling out technical packs, creating a catalogue and got to see an incredible fashion show and went to showrooms. This is the exact experience I wanted to come home with, adding of course, all the amazing memories that Milan gave me, and the places I got to know, it´s food, it´s people and it´s culture. To me this was an unforgettable experience and I would completely advice you to try it!

More time management finding the internships, also it would help a lot if Global Experiences had the internships better described before going to the interviews, in this way we would know what specifically to expect from each internship opportunity and then choose wisely which one do we want to stay in.

About Global Experiences

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and...