Global Experiences Internships in Milan, Italy

Milan Summer 2017 Intern - Bryanna
Milan Summer 2017 Intern - Bryanna
Milan Summer 2017 Interns
Milan Summer 2017 Interns

The fast-paced and lively metropolis of Milan is perfect for nearly anyone looking to intern abroad. Interning in Milan is a fantastic opportunity for students and young professional looking to gain professional experience. As the business capital of Italy, Milan has opportunities in everything from fashion design to online marketing and everything in-between.

As an intern, you’ll have the chance to immerse yourself in your chosen career field all while enjoying everything Milan has to offer. We do our best to tailor an internship to your background and future goals. We support you every step of the way to make sure your Milan internship is an experience you’ll never forget. Students and young professionals from the U.S. and Canada, don’t miss out on this life-changing international opportunity!

Please note, the price of tuition covers a guaranteed internship, housing, social events, our career development program, and more.

• Guaranteed Internship: As part of the Global Experiences' program you are guaranteed an internship in your host city. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals.
  • Personalized Attention: We want this experience to be as fulfilling as possible. From the first phone call, we support you and give you all the resources you need to make sure your internship is a success.
  • Immersion Language Classes: To help you jumpstart your time abroad you will be enrolled in an Italian language course for the first few weeks of your program.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with potential employers, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Milan year-round and provides interns with an insider's glimpse of the city. The LC is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and takes all the interns on a range of social events.

To apply for Global Experiences, you can do so on our application page here: https://www2.globalexperiences.com/apply-now Hope this helps!
There is a $25 application fee for international applicants which must be paid to move forward in the application process and participate in the program.
When applying, you apply to one of our specific program sessions. The longest sessions we have are our fall and spring programs, which are about 12-15 weeks. The summer sessions are 8 weeks. You can find more information here: https://www.globalexperiences.com/dates-tuition/ Thank you for you inquiry, hope this helps!
It is not essential to speak Italian in order to participate in the Milan program. The majority of our interns who have attended the programs in Italy did not speak any Italy. While the majority of our placements in Milan are in English, we encourage that interns familiarize themselves with some of the Italian basics they learn in their language classes. Hope this helps!

Daphne
No, I don't recommend this program

Not worth the money.

I had initially applied for the program two years prior to my actual start date and had wanted to go into Fashion Business. By the time I did my interview which was a month before the start date of the program, I realized that Fashion Business was not what I wanted to do considering I had just graduated and received my degree at a Fashion Institute. I was told that it was too late to switch into a Fashion Design internship and I was upset but understood. I already have a good job in Fashion Design and wanted to learn the business aspect of the work industry. Coming to Milan I had the idea that working in a showroom for Fashion Business I would be LEARNING and WORKING. I worked forty hours a week and the first two weeks (when I was most occupied) I did not do anything related to fashion but was told to call over 2500 companies and send thousands of emails. I never once interacted with the customers that came in to shop at the showroom but sat behind a desk for nine hours a day the rest of the six weeks, and was given a task for about an hour of the nine I worked. I had told my location coordinator that I was unhappy with my internship from day one. I told myself to give it time and waited for it to get better and it never did. My location coordinator was aware that I was unhappy and told me that she would talk to my internship and have a midway interview with me and my supervisor so that they could assign me more tasks. I never had an interview with my internship and GE. I learned absolutely nothing at my internship besides finding a way to occupy myself for eight hours a day, in addition to me not learning I was TEACHING the other EMPLOYERS how to do THEIR JOB, why did I pay $8000 to learn, when I paid to teach and rot in boredom. Besides the horrible internship, my housing was not ideal either. I lived in a loft in a nice area of Milan. The location was great, but I shared a bed with my roommate. We were given a queen sized wood framed bed and a smaller than twin sized foldable hotel pull out bed that slid across the floor. Somehow these two beds were supposed to be equal. Again after being aware GE did nothing that we were sharing a bed and failed to give us another one that was worth the money I paid for housing. The only good thing that came out of this were the other people on the trip whom I created friendships with, and they also disliked their internships and had their time wasted.

Don't tell fallacies to incoming interns to have them get their time and money wasted.
Response from Global Experiences

Hi Daphne,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that the program wasn't what you had hoped and I would like to address your concerns to ensure we are always providing a quality experience in Milan.
As a reminder, our location staff are always available to hear your concerns. You were prompted to give feedback regarding your internship and you reported everything was going fine. You have shared that you would have been better suited to a design placement, but as we explained to you prior to your departure, Milan is very competitive in the design industry. You agreed fashion business would be interesting to you and that is the internship you received.
As for housing, your location coordinator was available 24/7 in case of emergencies or even just to talk about issues and they could have helped you navigate any housing problems you might have been having; however, you did not inform us at any point during your program.
We take feedback very seriously and believe in continually improving our programs. Please contact us if you would like to address this further.
Sincerely,
Rachel V Smith
Program Director - Italy, Global Experiences

Jada

Great Experience

I was completely happy and satisfied with my placement, housing, and roommate. I have no complaints really. I started my journey to Milan 2 years ago, there were a few bumps in the road getting there but it worked out for the best in the end. I wish it wasn't so expensive, so everyone could experience it. I would do it again, but for less. I don't think its worth that much but i am very happy i did it, and i would consider paying it again if i had to. I loved the team, the program members I met along the way and of course my BOSS! I traveled, I learned, and most of all I had so much fun. You really can have it all. The memories made will never be forgotten nor will the people. It was truly life-impacting.
Now that I am back in America, I am ready to go back! I encourage everyone, I mean EVERYONE to INTERN/ STUDY ABROAD... someway, somehow!

Tell all the program pros and cons to students before they sign up. Other, than that nothing :)
Barbara

Amazing Experience

Internship:
I worked as an International Sales and Marketing Intern for a showroom. My co-workers quickly became like family. Although I was not always incredibly busy, I was given more responsibilities than I thought I would which I am truly grateful for. I gained so much knowledge and confidence during my internship. It was an incredible resume builder.

Housing:
I stayed in an apartment with 2 other GE interns. Our apartment was really nice, although we did not have AC (not shocking in Europe). The location of my apartment wasn't the greatest but once you learn to take the metro, Milan is a very easy city to navigate.

Fun, friends, travel:
I made incredible friends with fellow interns. I traveled all over Europe. I truly had the best summer ever!

Use apps like Omio and Moovit to navigate the city.
Michael

Great but there were downsides

When interning in Milan, get ready to be an adult because sometimes reality will check you and you need to be prepared! With that being said, I had a great internship experience when I was in Milan. Initially I was working at a showroom but then transferred to a rental agency due to not getting what I expected out of the internship. Afterwards my experience was exponentially better!! The housing was upscale but the hot water stopped working with about 3 weeks left and the refrigerator would never close and iced up, melted and ruined the flooring (can’t help that) and had to use a laundry mat (gets expensive). The location is AWESOME! Navigli is basically the go to place for nightlife. The food is some of the world’s best and the wine is just as good!! It’s an experience of which you make, so make the most of it.

Intern Dynamic
Life Consultants
Being a foreigner
Felix

Two Months in Milan

Life-changing; this is the first word that comes to mind about my experience. The Global Experiences (GE) program provided all the necessities I would need for my time in the city. The housing, despite presenting some issues, was sufficient for my time in Italy. With access to the metro lines, buses, and trams; I was able to venture around the city and explore further.
One key positive that I have taken away from this however has been the people I have shared this experiences with. The fellow Global Experiences students, staff members, and work supervisors have all been very supportive and caring to one another. Experiences are nothing unless you can enjoy it with others, and GE provided that and more during my time in Italy. This is what made this program a 10/10 for me. :)

- The assistance with housing issues; I got cold water and the issue was never resolved.
Sally

Media Intern in Milan Review

I have had the most amazing time in Milan so far! Traveling abroad is stressful and overwhelming, but Global Experience made it the most pain-free experience. Going in with reasonable expectations, everything exceeded them! Our apartment is adorable and although it doesn't have AC, that is just part of the culture! My internship has been fantastic. I have gotten to submit work to clients such as initial analyses, social media calendars and strategic influencer plans. Secondly, I have gotten to learn more about international business and marketing by working alongside business professionals in Italy. Exploring the culture, going on weekend trips and having fun on Global Experiences excursions are some of my favorite parts outside of work. I have learned so much and would definitely recommend this program to everyone.

Pack light and have reasonable expectations! You aren't going to have everything figured out right away and that's okay! It's how you learn :)
Kelly

Showroom Internship in Milan

If you're debating whether or not to Intern in Milan, you absolutely should!! This was a one of a kind experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. To be honest I was a little skeptical about my internship at first, but after about the first week and a half, I started to get the hang of things and was able to learn a lot from my internship. Living in Milan was absolutely incredible. Most of the interns are housed near the canal which has awesome restaurants, nightlife, and everything you need in walking distance. Milan is also the perfect location for weekend trips-- Lake Como, France, Switzerland, and all throughout Italy. If you're on the edge of whether or not to intern abroad you absolutely should; you will not regret it.

Better housing (I know they were working on this when I left since some people had issues with WaysItalia). I didn't have a ton of issues with mine besides the fact that it was really dirty when I arrived.
Mackenzie

Milan 2017

Interning abroad is definitely a once and a lifetime experience that I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested. Working within Italy definitely gave me incredible life and professional skills that I’ll take with me for the rest of my life! Italy is such an incredible country with an incredibly rich culture making the past three months unforgettable. My internship definitely gave me more professional skills I was looking to gain and the work atmosphere was perfect for my personality!

I would say that more descriptive communication between the internship workplace and the placement company about personal details of students. Sometimes the language communication barrier can make things a little confusing!
Ariana

Worth it

If you are hesitant on deciding if you should join the program then I'm here to tell you that you should do it.

I wasn't sure at first, but this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The company i worked with was very reputable and let me dive right into my field of studies and helped me learn how to apply my knowledge from the classroom to the work place. Also there isn't a better city for fashion than milan. All of my coworkers were so friendly and I didn't need to know italian to get around the city (plus they were more than happy to help me out).

Bryanna

Italia io amo

Milan is a beautiful place to live, explore, and cherish, but what makes it an even better experience is attending the program through Global Experiences. I had a fashion internship while abroad and GE worked to their greatest extent to place me in an environment that catered to my specifications. I learned, grew, and was challenged throughout the summer and ultimately gained new insight on the industry and the detailed components of running your own company.

The city itself is the perfect place to get to know in a few months. A larger city with a small city feel. Anything you would think of wanting for a place to temporarily call home, Milan has it. From shopping, AMAZING food, deep culture and history, lovely museums, sites, and parks, and so much more.

One of the perks of joining GE is the fact that the program is offered to students all over the country as opposed to enrolling through your school (if they have a program like this). I got the chance to make friends with some awesome people from so many different places and backgrounds and cherished the connection with them as we all figured out how to navigate a new setting and blossom in the workplace. You also get the chance to participate in pre-planned excursions outside of Milan. We spent a day in Venice, visited Lake Como which led to a night's stay and trip to Switzerland the next day. Just a few opportunities made possible through the GE.

Join this program and have the time of your life in Milan. It will grow you, work you, and open up your eyes to all the amazing possibilities that lie ahead. I promise you won't regret a single bit.

I would say all personnel worked extremely hard to ensure we had a great time, felt safe, and made the best experiences.
Morgan

Once in a lifetime experience!

This international internship experience through Global Experiences has been better than I could have ever imagined.

I aspire to work in the consulting field and getting on the job experience while crucial to securing a job, is not very easy to find. The staff at Global was incredibly honest with me during my application process. They told me they might not be able to place me at a job in the consulting industry, especially since I had chosen Italy as my desired location. However, they advise I apply to the Milan location (due to it being the business center of Italy) rather than Florence, which was the initial site I had listed for placement. I listed other areas of business as my backup option, but somehow they found me a position with a local consulting company in Milan! I was beyond ecstatic when I found out I had secured the position with the such an organization. The experience I gained through working with this company was irreplaceable; I feel much more confident going into my job search now. I have learned skills that will not only assist me in my professional career but also just help regarding living life in our ever increasingly globalized society.

The staff at Global are always there for any questions you may have along the way as well. From my parents and Grandma requiring me to ask a million and one questions during the application process, to when you are on the ground in the city, the staff members I talked to were always kind, patient, and quick to answer any questions I had. They made calling another country home for two months not only manageable but incredibly enjoyable as well!

The other interns in the program also made the experience great. It was so great to get to meet so many funny, kind, and caring people from all over the world!

If you are contemplating participating in an experience like this, I highly encourage you to take the leap of faith and go! It's a decision I know I will look back on and smile at for the rest of my life. Thank you Global!

The only thing that might be able to be improved is stressing to the future participants that AC is not common in Italy in the summer, and they probably won't have it in their living accommodations or work place. I would definitely advise to leave any sweaters at home and substitute them for a few extra tank tops instead!
Jennifer

Fashion Blogger in Milan!

My experience has been amazing!
Nothing really about the internship that I didn't enjoy. If anything it was more like certain types of blog posts were less fun than others, but that's the same with any job. Writer's block was an obstacle for me when I wasn't terribly inspired by the project and I really had to kick myself in the pants sometimes to just get it done!
As for the Global Experiences parts of the internship I loved the outings, big surprise huh? Having Eleonora as our overseer was amazing, she's the best! Friend, tour guide (because she knows alot about the places we go!), guardian angel. We were lucky to have her, she's very sweet and kind and it was great knowing if we needed something or had questions she would be very prompt with her responses.
The schooling sadly did little for me, maybe it was just my learning style didn't fit but I regret not using that two weeks to just travel. The instructors themselves were very friendly though.
Another thing, the metro card, guys this saves us so much hassel! Never get rid of this! Ever!

Talking about my internship:
When I arrived and began working with my supervisor, a fashion blogger, we jumped right in to things. She had me up an running with all the log in's for her email, wordpress, pinterest, twitter, and instagram in the first few days and by the end of the first week I was keeping her calendar, reasearching trends, writing blog posts and going along for outfit pickups and events. I also helped her shoot a look book for a designer she was consulting for which was pretty cool.
Fashion week itself was a different kind of schedule altogether. Before fashion week it's all about the prep work like picking up fashion week outfits from press rooms, writing about what trends we will see in the show as well as keeping up the everyday work like shooting and writing about different outfits. We also try and lay out a tentitive scheduale as best we can before fashion week with the events and shows we know about before all the last minute (like 'day of' last minute) emails come in and we are scrambling to make sure they all make it on the calendar. Then it's a week of running to this show or that event, fighting for a seat amongst the seasoned fashion week photographers, and hagling with security. Exchanging pleasantries with PR, picking up press releases and goodie bags and doing all this while constantly updating twitter and instagram stories from every event you go to along the way.

After fashion week everything slows nearly to a halt for about a day or two, while we catch a breather, doing clean up work like retrning borrowed designer peices and organizing the million goodie bags with product and press releases. Then things in the writing sector take off and, because we now have so much material to work with our topic pile is overflowing, the blog post frenzy begins. So it may seem quieter because no, you aren't running around hopping on and off public transport til 8,9,10 at night, you are technically staying in but you're staying in because you have several hours, days of writing that needs to be done haha!

Working with this supervisor there's a role you don't find in a lot of work environments, she really wants you to be soaking in a learning as much as possible. It is actually a must for her, as oppossed to a lot of places where it is more 'here's the work you have done by this time, oh and hopefully it will help you learn something'. No she wants you to understand what you are doing, the reason and purpose behind doing it and how to do it well.
She also gives you a lot of independence, if you have a list of events to go to, you go on your own a lot of the time, and unless told otherwise you pretty much decide which order to go to them and when. You're job is just to make sure you make it to all of them and do the job right. So an important role here is to really keep yourself on task.

Patience, perhaps stemmed from years of retail work, has helped tremendously in this line of work and in a new country. Patience with the people, patience with the public transportation system that has an agenda of it's own and is at times utterly confusing, or on strike! Patience with those who send last minute emails but fully expect you to attend their event, and those events that don't start on time by like a whole hour. Patience with the workload, and with yourself for not having more of done.

My advice to any intern: Communicate, keep yourself in line and organized and be useful! Because it will all help you in the end!

Heather

Wonderful Summer Abroad

I just want to say that from the beginning to the end Global Experiences was very helpful and accommodating! I am so thankful to have joined this internship abroad program for it brought me a new worldly perspective without all the hassle of having to plan the trip on my own. My internship placement was perfect and my coworkers were all so welcoming and accommodating. If you are thinking of doing an internship or a study abroad program Global Experiences is the way to go !

The only things I would say to be improved would be that there are more group social events to get out and see the town. That the wifi in the campus is better and that the metro cards are preloaded so that's not an extra out of pocket expense.
Melisa

The whole package

This was a great experience that not only taught me more about the Italian culture but the work life and every day life in this country. I am grateful I was able to spend the past 3 months here and the huge personal and professional growth this experiece has provided me.

I definitely recomment this program to people who want to take a gap year, who just graduated and are not ready to go into the work force/ grad school, or to juniors and seniors who want to gain some more experience and explore the area in which they want to work.

Keeping the 4 weeks of language school.
Giving a lot of tips to interns as to where to shop, places to avoid, etc.
Isabell

One of the best experiences

This 3 month internship was one of the best learning experience I've had! I learned more about myself and of the proffessionalism at work. I did get culture shock in the beginning but was able to adjust and familiarize well thanks to Eleonora (GE staff) and the girls in the program!

Maybe have more activities.. But the trips were all great.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Global Experiences

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and...