Global Experiences Internships in Milan, Italy

Global Experiences Internships in Milan, Italy

Milan is perfect for those looking for international work experience in a fast-paced and buzzing city. Interning in Milan is a fantastic opportunity for students to experience Europe, and expand their professional horizons. As the business capital of Italy, Milan is a great place for interns from all different fields ranging from fashion design to online marketing.

The Global Experiences Internship program in Milan gives you all the resources and support you need to have a successful and memorable experience living and working in Italy including centralized housing, internship placement, and plenty of fun social events!

• Personalized Attention: We work with you on a personal level to understand your career interests and internship goals. Starting from the first phone call to the end of your internship, we offer you individualized support to give you all the resources you
  • Immersion Language Classes: For the first few weeks of the program you will take part in immersion-style Italian courses to help jumpstart your internship experience in Milan.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving in your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with a potential employer, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Milan year-round and provide interns with an insider's glimpse of the city. The Location Coordinator is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and host all of the interns on a range of soci
  • Guaranteed Internship: That means not having to worry about your future plans for the summer, fall, or spring or the quality of the internship. With an internship with Global Experiences we will work on your behalf to find a high-quality internship that f
Europe » Italy » Milan
Tourism
Resume
Phone / Skype Interview
Weekly Hours
Program fee includes: Guaranteed internship, social events and excursions, pre-departure support and career development, support from local staff, centralized housing, Italian language courses, medical/travel insurance, and mobile phone.

Sadly, Global Experiences I believe the longest internship they offer is for 3 months. Also it's best to check the rules of each country. In Italy for example unless you have a student or work visa the longest you can stay in the country or region (may include countries nearby) is 3 months. I would advise looking into other internship companies besides GE. Hope that helps!
it really depends on where they are going in Italy. Some major cities are a lot easier without knowing the Italian language than others. I was located in Milan and had a lot more trouble than friends I knew who were in Florence, who did perfectly fine. I still managed very well in Milan with knowing little to no Italian. It was difficult at times, especially within my internship, but I managed qui...
Hi Paz, Global Experiences advertises that you have to be between 18 -30 to be eligible for their Milan internship program.

Ariana
ohio
Miami University

Worth it

If you are hesitant on deciding if you should join the program then I'm here to tell you that you should do it.

I wasn't sure at first, but this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The company i worked with was very reputable and let me dive right into my field of studies and helped me learn how to apply my knowledge from the classroom to the work place. Also there isn't a better city for fashion than milan. All of my coworkers were so friendly and I didn't need to know italian to get around the city (plus they were more than happy to help me out).

Bryanna

Italia io amo

Milan is a beautiful place to live, explore, and cherish, but what makes it an even better experience is attending the program through Global Experiences. I had a fashion internship while abroad and GE worked to their greatest extent to place me in an environment that catered to my specifications. I learned, grew, and was challenged throughout the summer and ultimately gained new insight on the industry and the detailed components of running your own company.

The city itself is the perfect place to get to know in a few months. A larger city with a small city feel. Anything you would think of wanting for a place to temporarily call home, Milan has it. From shopping, AMAZING food, deep culture and history, lovely museums, sites, and parks, and so much more.

One of the perks of joining GE is the fact that the program is offered to students all over the country as opposed to enrolling through your school (if they have a program like this). I got the chance to make friends with some awesome people from so many different places and backgrounds and cherished the connection with them as we all figured out how to navigate a new setting and blossom in the workplace. You also get the chance to participate in pre-planned excursions outside of Milan. We spent a day in Venice, visited Lake Como which led to a night's stay and trip to Switzerland the next day. Just a few opportunities made possible through the GE.

Join this program and have the time of your life in Milan. It will grow you, work you, and open up your eyes to all the amazing possibilities that lie ahead. I promise you won't regret a single bit.

I would say all personnel worked extremely hard to ensure we had a great time, felt safe, and made the best experiences.

Morgan
Texas A&M University

Once in a lifetime experience!

This international internship experience through Global Experiences has been better than I could have ever imagined.

I aspire to work in the consulting field and getting on the job experience while crucial to securing a job, is not very easy to find. The staff at Global was incredibly honest with me during my application process. They told me they might not be able to place me at a job in the consulting industry, especially since I had chosen Italy as my desired location. However, they advise I apply to the Milan location (due to it being the business center of Italy) rather than Florence, which was the initial site I had listed for placement. I listed other areas of business as my backup option, but somehow they found me a position with a local consulting company in Milan! I was beyond ecstatic when I found out I had secured the position with the such an organization. The experience I gained through working with this company was irreplaceable; I feel much more confident going into my job search now. I have learned skills that will not only assist me in my professional career but also just help regarding living life in our ever increasingly globalized society.

The staff at Global are always there for any questions you may have along the way as well. From my parents and Grandma requiring me to ask a million and one questions during the application process, to when you are on the ground in the city, the staff members I talked to were always kind, patient, and quick to answer any questions I had. They made calling another country home for two months not only manageable but incredibly enjoyable as well!

The other interns in the program also made the experience great. It was so great to get to meet so many funny, kind, and caring people from all over the world!

If you are contemplating participating in an experience like this, I highly encourage you to take the leap of faith and go! It's a decision I know I will look back on and smile at for the rest of my life. Thank you Global!

The only thing that might be able to be improved is stressing to the future participants that AC is not common in Italy in the summer, and they probably won't have it in their living accommodations or work place. I would definitely advise to leave any sweaters at home and substitute them for a few extra tank tops instead!

Maris

A great professional experience abroad!

I definitely enjoyed my time with my Global Experiences internship, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a unique 'study abroad' experience!

I was an intern in Milan, Italy for a PR and marketing agency. At first, I was nervous about this, as I had preffed a retail marketing and/or merchandising experience so I thought I would want to work in a showroom there. However, I decided to just go with it because the company seemed great to work for, and it was just a more general example of what my marketing major could teach me. This brings me to my first piece of GE advice: Be open to whatever opportunities may come to you. Maybe it’s not exactly what you had in mind, but being open to more experiences can introduce you to new passions or even further reassure you that the career path you’re on is the right one for you.

After my decision, I can honestly say that I was not disappointed at all once I began my internship. I could not have asked for a better placement after working at this agency. My co-workers were all so caring and immediately made me feel welcome, which eased another worry of mine. I showed enthusiasm everyday for the work given and they responded to that by giving me meaningful work to showcase what I could really do for them. My second piece of GE advice: I would encourage anyone thinking about going through the program to do the same and show enthusiasm as it really does pay off. You won't enjoy your work 100% of the time, but I think that definitely helps you grow and realize that this fact follows you everywhere. It's best to make the most of it! Because of this, I was able to later handle blogger collaboration negotiations, potential client presentations, website development for the agency, help with photoshoots, attend a fashion week event as a guest, and even celebrate my boss’ birthday with my co-workers on a weekend vacation to Tuscany. All of these things helped me realize that I really, and surprisingly, enjoy this line of work.

As far as the accommodations from GE go, I was very pleased with the location of my housing, my roommates, and the socials that the program had planned for us. They definitely made it easier to connect with others, and there is absolutely no need to be worried about not finding a great group of people to spend your free time with. My third piece of GE advice: I would highly recommend getting everyday advice from your co-workers and your program coordinators. They are more than likely willing to help if you just ask, and since they live in your internship location, they can definitely tell you how the locals live which can make your time adjusting much easier! Even if they don’t know the answer right away, your program coordinators will do their best to help you- that’s what they’re there for.

Overall, I had an unforgettable summer of learning and growth with Global Experiences. I made great connections, saw some beautiful sights, and discovered new professional strengths and passions. You might be nervous to be away from home for so long or about the internship in general, but I really don’t think that should stop you from joining this program. It is different and it will take some adjusting, but I promise you that it is so so worth it. Go GE!

The application process was very simple in the beginning, but it got a little tricky as my family, my school, and GE were trying to work out payment and university credit options. The connection between the schools and the program is something I think needs to be worked on, but other than that, everything else went smoothly!

Jennifer
Surprise

Fashion Blogger in Milan!

My experience has been amazing!
Nothing really about the internship that I didn't enjoy. If anything it was more like certain types of blog posts were less fun than others, but that's the same with any job. Writer's block was an obstacle for me when I wasn't terribly inspired by the project and I really had to kick myself in the pants sometimes to just get it done!
As for the Global Experiences parts of the internship I loved the outings, big surprise huh? Having Eleonora as our overseer was amazing, she's the best! Friend, tour guide (because she knows alot about the places we go!), guardian angel. We were lucky to have her, she's very sweet and kind and it was great knowing if we needed something or had questions she would be very prompt with her responses.
The schooling sadly did little for me, maybe it was just my learning style didn't fit but I regret not using that two weeks to just travel. The instructors themselves were very friendly though.
Another thing, the metro card, guys this saves us so much hassel! Never get rid of this! Ever!

Talking about my internship:
When I arrived and began working with my supervisor, a fashion blogger, we jumped right in to things. She had me up an running with all the log in's for her email, wordpress, pinterest, twitter, and instagram in the first few days and by the end of the first week I was keeping her calendar, reasearching trends, writing blog posts and going along for outfit pickups and events. I also helped her shoot a look book for a designer she was consulting for which was pretty cool.
Fashion week itself was a different kind of schedule altogether. Before fashion week it's all about the prep work like picking up fashion week outfits from press rooms, writing about what trends we will see in the show as well as keeping up the everyday work like shooting and writing about different outfits. We also try and lay out a tentitive scheduale as best we can before fashion week with the events and shows we know about before all the last minute (like 'day of' last minute) emails come in and we are scrambling to make sure they all make it on the calendar. Then it's a week of running to this show or that event, fighting for a seat amongst the seasoned fashion week photographers, and hagling with security. Exchanging pleasantries with PR, picking up press releases and goodie bags and doing all this while constantly updating twitter and instagram stories from every event you go to along the way.

After fashion week everything slows nearly to a halt for about a day or two, while we catch a breather, doing clean up work like retrning borrowed designer peices and organizing the million goodie bags with product and press releases. Then things in the writing sector take off and, because we now have so much material to work with our topic pile is overflowing, the blog post frenzy begins. So it may seem quieter because no, you aren't running around hopping on and off public transport til 8,9,10 at night, you are technically staying in but you're staying in because you have several hours, days of writing that needs to be done haha!

Working with this supervisor there's a role you don't find in a lot of work environments, she really wants you to be soaking in a learning as much as possible. It is actually a must for her, as oppossed to a lot of places where it is more 'here's the work you have done by this time, oh and hopefully it will help you learn something'. No she wants you to understand what you are doing, the reason and purpose behind doing it and how to do it well.
She also gives you a lot of independence, if you have a list of events to go to, you go on your own a lot of the time, and unless told otherwise you pretty much decide which order to go to them and when. You're job is just to make sure you make it to all of them and do the job right. So an important role here is to really keep yourself on task.

Patience, perhaps stemmed from years of retail work, has helped tremendously in this line of work and in a new country. Patience with the people, patience with the public transportation system that has an agenda of it's own and is at times utterly confusing, or on strike! Patience with those who send last minute emails but fully expect you to attend their event, and those events that don't start on time by like a whole hour. Patience with the workload, and with yourself for not having more of done.

My advice to any intern: Communicate, keep yourself in line and organized and be useful! Because it will all help you in the end!

Heather
Springfield, Missouri

Wonderful Summer Abroad

I just want to say that from the beginning to the end Global Experiences was very helpful and accommodating! I am so thankful to have joined this internship abroad program for it brought me a new worldly perspective without all the hassle of having to plan the trip on my own. My internship placement was perfect and my coworkers were all so welcoming and accommodating. If you are thinking of doing an internship or a study abroad program Global Experiences is the way to go !

The only things I would say to be improved would be that there are more group social events to get out and see the town. That the wifi in the campus is better and that the metro cards are preloaded so that's not an extra out of pocket expense.

Melisa
chicago, IL
Michigan State University

The whole package

This was a great experience that not only taught me more about the Italian culture but the work life and every day life in this country. I am grateful I was able to spend the past 3 months here and the huge personal and professional growth this experiece has provided me.

I definitely recomment this program to people who want to take a gap year, who just graduated and are not ready to go into the work force/ grad school, or to juniors and seniors who want to gain some more experience and explore the area in which they want to work.

Keeping the 4 weeks of language school.
Giving a lot of tips to interns as to where to shop, places to avoid, etc.

Isabell
Los Angeles, California

One of the best experiences

This 3 month internship was one of the best learning experience I've had! I learned more about myself and of the proffessionalism at work. I did get culture shock in the beginning but was able to adjust and familiarize well thanks to Eleonora (GE staff) and the girls in the program!

Maybe have more activities.. But the trips were all great.

Lindsay
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Denver

Eataly

Global Experiences has been the perfect opportunity for me. The length of the program, the people in the program, the city, etc. From exploring the center of Milan to getting lost just outside of it, everyday was an adventure. The wining and dining in Milan started my journey out perfectly. Not only did I try a thousand different types of wines, pizzas, and pastas, I also had the ability to order in the native tongue, Italian. Being able to partake in language classes is what makes this program unique. I was able to tackle my internship head on with a new diverse Italian vocabulary and the confidence to speak. I am blessed to have meet lifelong friends from home and from Italy. I will cherish the moments I had laughing, crying, and dancing on tables all over Milan. And I know, I will be back.

It would have been great to have a week inbetween the end of my internship and my departure.

Kayla
San Francisco

Fashion Internship in Milan!

My time with Global Experiences has been incredible. Overall the program is very structured and organized which made me always feel comfortable and safe. I have met wonderful people through GE, my internship, and language school who I know I will always stay connected to no matter where we are located in the world. My internship in Fashion Business gave me experience I couldn't get elsewhere. How many people can say they have worked a Milan Fashion Week Sales Campaign??? I loved learning the details of what happens behind the scenes in the fashion industry, and it was awesome working with collections for the next year! Aside from my internship, I learned a lot about myself from living in a foreign country. Every day was a challenge, but I loved every day I had here in Milan!

I wish I could have had more involvement in choosing my internship. For someone who has had years of experience in fashion already, sometimes I didn't feel challenged during my internship. At times I wished my internship had more valuable work for me to do. When I was busy, I loved my internship. But there would be WEEKS where I sat at my desk doing absolutely nothing (I was constantly asking for work but there was nothing for me to do).

Nicole
Boston, Massachusetts
Fisher College

Never been to Italy

I had never been to Italy before and didn't know an ounce of Italian. Coming here, the first two weeks I was home sick and couldn't understand anyone and wanted to go home. By the end of my 3 month stay in Milan I didn't want to leave. I could understand everyone for the most part, I was so comfortable in my setting and the culture, learning so much about myself was having so much fun! I never thought of coming to Milan before and now I can't wait to come and visit the city and the friends I have made during my time here. This experience was amazing for me, mentally and physically and of course giving me a lot more detail to add to my resume! I would definitely recommend this experience to anyone. Traveling gives you so much more than any education you could pay for.

Make the internship dates end sooner so that people are given a week time left to see the city and immerse themselves and pack before leaving.

Madeline
Annapolis, MD United States
Salisbury University

Great Experience Abroad

I had an amazing three months in Milan interning at a magazine for English-speakers. I was given a lot of responsibility that is not always offered to interns and I was able to produce print articles and graphic products to add to my portfolio. Milan's a great location if you plan to travel around- Switzerland, Rome, Florence and Venice are all just a train ride away. Everyone at GE was super nice, you couldn't ask for more helpful people!

Honestly the largest problem was the wifi in the building and the maid service was semi unreliable but these were not large issues. I would say longer weekend trips- overnight and to farther away places would be really nice if they were included.

Carla
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
McMaster University

Unbelievable experience in Milan!

It's amazing how much you can grow when you go outside of your comfort zone!!!

My internship in Milan through Global Experiences was unbelievable and the best decision I have ever made personally and professionally. I was able to gain first hand experience in one of the fashion capitals of the world. I networked with professionals in the industry from various parts of Europe, learned new skills that I can apply to my career in fashion when returning home, and have this impressive experience on my resume, distinguishing myself from other candidates when applying for jobs in Canada. The onsite staff in Milan made the experience even more special, organizing exciting trips around Italy and making sure we were comfortable and taken care of the entire time abroad. I also met amazing people in the program and made unbelievable memories!!

Emily
Australia

Life changing opportunity

I highly recommend Global Experiences to further not only your career but also personal growth. I have meet some fantastic people along this journey and seen beautiful locations in my free time. My internship was a lot of fun and my boss was very professional and made sure I felt comfortable. I was really appreciative that I was given the opportunity to work hand in hand with the designer and even contribute to the designs. I was able to participate much more than I thought I would. The best thing I have ever done!!

That my interview was organised a lot earlier

Karen
San Antonio
Art Institute of Houston

Milano

My overall experience was an incredible one. This was my first time ever traveling to Europe and it was not what I expected. It was more than that. The on-site staff (Eleonora), was very helpful and prompt to answer any questions I had. The mini trips to several cities where very much insightful and so much fun!

My internship placement was prompt and so great. I got to learn a lot of things, not only pertaining to my job but as an industry professional and how things work in the real world.

This experience was by far a very incredible one; I learned a lot from the people I met, the places I went and a whole new language. This is something everyone should get a chance to experience!

Mariana
Texas
Art Institute of Houston

Great Experience, Definitely have to live it!

At first I was really nervous because I didn´t know what to expect as a Fashion Designer Intern. It took them a little bit to find internships that fit specifically to what I was looking for, but when they finally found it, it was exactly what I wanted! I was able to go to an amazing Fashion Show, to two showrooms and to several fabric warehouses. I worked with the Architect and Fashion Designer, Alice Tamburini. Me and her assistant had to draft the patterns for her designs and sew the samples. I also made fashion research, for current trends in fabrics, colors, silhouettes, haute couture details, etc. I was also able to help with the edition of the pattern that was going to be printed in the fabric used in the collection and propose ideas. I helped a lot with the digitalizing of the Designer´s sketches through Illustrator, and also made technical flats for all her collections. So as you can see, I was involved in the whole collection production process, from a new born idea, to sketches, drafting and pattering, sewing and sampling, making technical flats and filling out technical packs, creating a catalogue and got to see an incredible fashion show and went to showrooms. This is the exact experience I wanted to come home with, adding of course, all the amazing memories that Milan gave me, and the places I got to know, it´s food, it´s people and it´s culture. To me this was an unforgettable experience and I would completely advice you to try it!

More time management finding the internships, also it would help a lot if Global Experiences had the internships better described before going to the interviews, in this way we would know what specifically to expect from each internship opportunity and then choose wisely which one do we want to stay in.

Katia
Miami, FL

Highly Recommended Program

It is my second time around doing a program with Global Experiences and again it was an incredible experience.

I interned with a Showroom in Milan and enjoyed my internship very much. I had various daily tasks in the showroom which again open my mind to what it would be like to actually work in a high fashion field in one of the fashion capitols in the world.

In addition, the social outings that you do with Global Experiences are excellent. We took day trips to places like Lake Como, Verona and Venice.

The continued support to the students in this program from both Anna (internship placement coordinator) and Eleonora (onsite program coordinator) throughout the program was amazing. Again, like the first time I did a Global Experience program, I felt like I was family not just a student on a study abroad program.

I will continue to recommend the Global Experiences program to anyone who is looking for an abroad/internship experience.

-- 2013 --

If you are looking for an all around wonderful experience abroad Global Experiences is absolutely a program you should consider participating in.

The communication between the program coordinators and the participants prior to the program as well as during the program was wonderful. Eleonora was my contact person in Milan during my program and she was amazing. She is extremely outgoing, energetic, helpful and committed to making sure everyone has a positive experience while participating in the Global Experiences program.

Prior to this program I did not speak any Italian. The language program that is accompanied with the GE program is excellent and you will quickly learn the basics.

Anna, who does the placement of internships for GE, placed me with a fantastic internship that matched up perfectly with my prior experience that I already had in the field. My internship truly focused on what I stressed I was interested in prior to participating in the GE program and prior to coming to Italy.

I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested. This program has opened my mind to possibilities that I had not previously considered. I know my experience will help set me apart from others in my work field in the future.

Miles
South Bend, Indiana

Recommended for first time and repeat study abroad students.

Studying abroad in Milan, Italy with GE was a fantastic way to spend my summer and I would recommend it to anyone - people who are new to study abroad and those that have gone before (like myself).

On a day to day basis, the full Immersion Italian Language class was excellent, the professors actually care about you and want you to learn Italian as best as you can. I also think the class structure and professors are some of the best that I have experienced and I was able to learn basics very quickly.

My internship was in Accounting and I had a great experience. I enjoyed working in the office and more than able to contribute to my employer. Obviously with any internship on some days the tasks were not the most interesting but the office made an effort to show me how those tasks fit into the greater picture, and the majority of my efforts contributed to a single project that I was able to work on from start to finish. Overall I learned a lot about the accounting industry and small businesses in general.

The social trips are excellent, these are planned one day trips to places like Venice and Verona. I especially enjoyed these because they were easy to do, you just showed up and got a great experience in these places. Not only did we walk around checking out the sites that I would've done had I gone myself, but we also did things that made these trips special that I wouldn't have known about by myself. (For example, we got a tour of the Murano Glass Factory in Venice, and ate at Romeo's house in Verona, where I tried donkey which is a local delicacy.)

One final thing that I've learned while being on multiple study abroad trips with multiple programs is that no matter which program you go on the place is the same, London is always London, Paris is always Paris, and Milan is always Milan. The things that make a good study abroad experience great are the people. The GE Support staff cares about you, both your well being, your personal development and that you enjoy your experience as much as possible.

A specific example of the support of GE people that I would like to share was also my greatest difficulty that I encountered. My first weekend there I thought I had gotten appendicitis (luckily I did not) but appendicitis can become fatal very quickly. Now having a health scare in a foreign country is a terrifying experience in any circumstance but it is especially scary when you have just gotten there. I made the decision to go to the hospital to be safe, once I made the decision I no longer felt terrified. GE (specifically Eleonora - Thank you!!!) arranged for a cab to take me to the hospital within moments, she then met me at the hospital and was with me the entire time (until late in the morning) and then came back the next day (the hospital kept me overnight for observation). After this she continually checked in on me to make sure I was ok and other members of the GE staff did so as well. I was amazed and I am eternally grateful for the support of GE, I had only been there a week but they all still treated me as family.

I would recommend both studying abroad and doing so with GE.

If I could change one thing with this program it would not really be with the program itself.

I would recommend doing a better job of emphasizing the maturity needed to study abroad. GE can encourage you to make the most of your experience and to fulfill your responsibilities, but ultimately you are the person who has to wake yourself up to go to class after a late night, and go to your internship when its been a long week and you really don't want to. You are responsible for yourself and your responsibilities and its something that I think should be mentioned more often.

Marisa
Tempe, Arizona
Arizona State University

INTERNSHIP IN MILAN

I had an amazing time both in Florence and Milan...it was by far the best and most life-changing experience of my life! Though my homestay mom in Florence was very sweet, she refused to let my roommate nor I run our laundry even though I thought they were required to do so. Keeping that in mind, while in Florence, unlike other people in my program who lived near the Duomo, I lived a 30 minute walk away from them in the local area, which I very much appreciated. Even though this made getting home late at night a hassle (had to pay for my own cab) I did appreciate getting to tour the local parts of Florence and having the best gelato in my life (La Gelateria Di Medici). I enjoyed hiking the ever-so-tiring Florence Duomo, which turned out to be my favorite view of the trip as well as enjoyed the nightlife. I did not know Florence would be as beautiful as it was. The Chianti Wine Tour was amazing as well. For class, I was not a big fan of the 2 hour business lecture and much more preferred to have a longer language class as I felt it to be rushed with how much fun I had. I thought the food for our homestay luncheon was amazing (at least the pasta) and would recommend doing it again. The PLUS Hostel was fun to stay at too. I think the Ufizzi Museum would have been more enjoyable without the never-ending tour.
For Milan, I really like the three hour tour we had as well as the tour guide that we had. I also loved the day trips to Venice and Lake Como as both were beautiful. The subway transportation was so convenient as it was so close to where we lived and could get anywhere by subway.
For the field I wanted to do, I could not do because I did not speak fluent Italian so I just chose a field I was good in: Social Media. I did a little translating and revising for their website blogs, but for the most part I did more of translating and revising business proposals for kids in Africa, which was interesting, but also not exactly what I was aiming to do and very tiring; however, I liked my boss and coworkers and how flexible and caring they were. I believe I was the only one in my group to see The Last Supper. Huge shout out to Eleonora! Thank you, it was one of the best sights of my life and it was only 15 minutes! Many thanks to Eleonora and Whitney for helping me out with everything and to Katie too! Overall, I would say my trip was phenomenal and I would love to go again!

-Make the Italian course the 2 hour course and the business course 1 hour because it was too long and the Italian course felt rushed, but more enjoyable than the business course.
-Get a place with better wifi and less accusatory staff members, but still close to metro
-Make the program 2 additional weeks so it can be 4 weeks in Florence and 6 in Milan
-Have dinner for the homestays not breakfast...since breakfast in Italy is a joke
-Figure out a better plan than $9,000 for a summer abroad

Jodie
Gilbert, Arizona
Arizona State University

Wonderful and Exciting First Time Experience

I was extremely scared and anxious to study abroad, but I am so happy that I did. The people that I met and the ability to travel somewhere new was worth it. I gained valuable life skills to last forever!

My most memorable experience was the trip we took to Chianti in Italy. We were able to hike through vineyards, learn about wine-making and then had lunch and a tasting with one of the wine-makers.

It would be nice to have everyone travel together, have all everyday costs accounted for and included in program fee and have the internships 4 days a week.

Nicole

Milan Internship

I really enjoyed my internship here in Milan. I came in here with little expectations because I knew that Italy being the fashion capital I would probably not get a big named company. But instead I ended up working with a big fashion company with great coworkers. I was given more and more responsibility as time went on and now I feel confident that I will have a lot to offer in my next internship. My tasks included help selling during the buying season, preparing contracts for buyers, inputting orders, all things I will very much need in my future internships/jobs. This internship was exactly what I hope to work in after graduation so I feel that it more than prepared me for the fashion industry along with a new perspective on a different culture. I feel that I will be able to work well in any environment because coming to Milan I really stepped outside of my comfort zone and only excelled. I had two bosses who both have played a big part in my experience because they both were like a mentor to me and I plan to keep in touch with them when I leave.

I think the classes in Florence for the first 2 weeks should be more language based. I was not prepared well to speak Italian language. Luckily my company spoke enough English but knowing more Italian would have helped getting around in Italy easier and communicating more at my work place. I also think the program falsely advertises the living accomodation in Milan. Centralized living is considered to be in the main city part. No one I ever spoke to in Milan was familiar with Turro and if they were, they would always comment on how far it was, which it is. It was hard to enjoy going out and exploring the city when you would have to pay an expensive taxi fare to get home because the metro was closed. I also think the actual accomodation was not fit for students in general. The wifi barely worked if it ever did, elevators would stop working on a daily basis, there would be more than a few days in the entire time here with no hot water, and I experienced 2 leaks in my room, as well as a broken mini fridge. The staff also was not very kind. I just feel like for my living accomodation I did not get my money's worth and it definitely altered my overall experience in Milan because it is what I had to call home for 2 months.

Alessandra
Chicago, Illinois
University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign

Globe Trotting

My overall experience was invaluable. The program I felt was well organized and it was nice to have Eleonora and Anna at hand for any questions. I found my internship to be a perfect fit for me. Everyone in the office was incredibly nice and welcoming and never had a problem with me asking questions. It was exactly what I was looking for when I initially chose to work in a showroom. The housing was near the metro and just a few stops away from my internship and the city center. The trips that were planned through the program were amazing fun, my favorite was Venice 100%. It was great because Eleonora took us to some amazing cities in Northern Italy and we had a great time with her. I would absolutely recommend this internship opportunity to anyone considering doing the program!

The housing was not ideal. Prefer to have had a shared appartment.

Cristina
Mexico

Get an edge in life

I have learned a lot from this experience, from work to school, to culture and myself.
Since it was the first time for me travelling this far, I learned how to be independent (getting my own groceries, making my own budget, organizing travels outside the program, getting along with different people from around the world) and to embrace a whole different culture, to the level that I'm really happy to say that I've made Italy a big part of my life now.

I could have gotten here just because, but I'm glad I did it with Global Experiences, because I don't think I could have learned this much this quick from just being here, it's always better to do things with a purpose and to have, at least, an idea of what you want to do.

The roommates situations, sometimes it's better to know who has potential to share 3 months of their lives together :)

Cac
Dallas, tx
School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Not meeting my expectation

The Milan internship summer 2013 was a great time for me. The staffs were very helpful when I needed help with personal needs. Great Italian language school and all the small trips GE organized. One thing I have to pointed out is that I specifically request an internship in Italy that I could learn about the Italian fashion, hand sewing and techniques; unfortunately I did not get any of that at my internship rather than just working on the computer most of the time. That is way far than what i was hoping to get out from this internship. For the price I paid to be in this internship, I would want to get the skills I set out at the beginning. GE did not do a great job at placing an internship dedicating to my needs, and wants.

Response from Global Experiences

Sorry to hear that the internship did not meet your expectations. Prior to finalizing a placement we have all our students interview with the prospective employer to ensure that both parties are happy and have the right expectations, but it sounds like communication with the employer or our location staff on the ground wasn't the best once the internship was underway

Though it is good to hear that the rest of your program was good, our primary focus is a quality internship, which is why communication before, and during the internship, is hugely important.

While no internship is perfect, there are always best practices we try to train interns with on how to gain trust, and acquire more responsibilities during their placements.

La
Georgia
Academy of Art University

Milan 101

The language program was excellent. I learned so much and it helped me prepare for my internship where only Italian was spoken. I learn foreign languages very fast, so coming to a country where I didn't speak the language was not a problem. But, I would recommend taking an Italian course before coming to Italy. It will help when traveling, meeting new friends and having success interning.

For the first 2 weeks I was placed at an internship that was not a good fit and I was able to get it changed. (keep in mind changing an internship can only happen if the internship breaks the rules in the contract i.e. not giving you 30-40 hours per week of work) I was placed with a fantastic internship that focused on my exact area of interest. For the last 4 weeks of my internship was great. I worked hard and learned a lot. What you should keep in mind about any experience is that it is what you make it. The first 2 weeks of my internship was not good, BUT I was able to look at the silver lining in it and apply the difficulties I faced to improve myself and my work.

I participated in Project Moda, and although it was a good experience, I didn't personally think it was a make or break event that was a 'must' to attend in order to further my career.

Some pointers: Be open to meeting new people and relating to other cultures, stay positive, get an Italian cellphone provided by GE, eat everything, live like a local (I did and ended up having the time of my life), bring walking shoes (lots of walking in Milan), don't overpack (you won't use everything... I PROMISE), having experience on your resume WILL get you a better internship, explore-explore-explore and lastly, THIS EXPERIENCE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT... you will encounter so many types of people and have the opportunity to further your career and make many memories... take the chance... live it up!

Included in the program price are 4 excursions (one local and 3 outside of Milan). I had so much fun, and it was a great way to introduce Italian culture and life to me; a foreigner.

Overall, I believe this program was a fantastic and necessary addition to my life experience and future career. It has opened my mind to possibilities I hadn't considered, and has allowed me to broaden my scope of interest and skill set. Having work experience in a foreign country and knowing another language will definitely put me ahead of the competition.

Take a chance on GE, you won't be disappointed!

I did not like the lack of knowing where I would intern. This made me feel ill-prepared and anxious.

MilanIntern2013
Milan, Italy

A means for your dreams.

If you're looking to study/intern abroad, GE is a company that can provide you with mentorship, an internship in your given field, and traveling opportunities. Shout out to Eleonora, thank you for your happy energetic personality and for making sure I was happy at my internship from day one till the day I departed back for the states. If you choose to come to Milan, make sure you buy gelato from Grom and Ciccolato :)

Response from Global Experiences

Thanks for the great words! Be sure to join our LinkedIn alumni page, so we can keep in touch and help you translate your experience into your next professional opportunity.

-Team GE

Martin
Milan
University of Brighton

Milan - In searching of the treasure

I had very positive experiences which helped me improve as professional but more important it helped me improve as a person! I had the opportunity to have the perfect match with my company. Our relationship flow from the first day! I am extremely happy because they gave me numerous responsibilities like office work, marketing and communications, video operator and events organiser, which helped me gain a lot of experience and more - raised the confidence in my personal strengths! Furthermore, I got the opportunity to travel around Italy and Europe ( particularly Munich, Germany and Cattolica - a beautiful town on the Italian cost). Overall, I think I had one of the best summer experiences until now because I was able to meet a lot of people ( some of them future connections and good friends!

The only thing which I could improve is to get the different groups more closer.

Vi

Good Program

I think I got lucky that I was placed at such a good company. My company was wonderful and were very, very generous with their interns. Overall my co-workers and supervisors let me do a plethora of fun and interesting duties. I learned a lot at the company I was placed at and I'm very thankful I was here. I definitely loved Eleonora though! She was wonderful and so nice!

I would definitely think the communication between the program coordinators and to the students could be better. Sometimes communication between coordinators became a little difficult. The day trips could also be a little more organized.

Owen
LA

Nice staff

I really like Eleonora who is one of the staffs in Milan, and she organizes trips for us to travel around. She has been really helpful! Whenever we need help, she's there and I can tell she tries her best to satisfy our needs and help us get through problems.

I hope there will be more trips going to different places or even countries like Swizterland because it's near Milan

Caryl
United Kingdom
De Montfort University

life changing experience

I very much enjoyed my experience in Milan; there were however some ups and downs, as expected! The support I had from my representative in Milan was excellent. I initially struggled with the Italian language classes as the teachers did not speak any English during the lessons; this meant I did not enjoy the lessons for the first couple of weeks. I did also have some issues with my housing situation- this was advertised as a flat share, however on my arrival the landlord herself actually lived there also which was more like a home stay; there were times when I didn't feel very comfortable where I lived, due to this I had to speak with the school about moving accommodation. The organised events were good and allowed me to visit more of Italy which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I feel I would have benefited from being more involved and having more responsibility at my work placement; I think due to not being able to speak Italian the opportunities were limited.

Response from Global Experiences

We're glad you had a good experience overall! Milan is one of those locations where we emphasize, and try to prepare students for, a higher level of language proficiency. With the included language classes we hope that students are able to get comfortable, and we ensure we match everyone up with an employer that fits their language level. We are also moving to centralized student housing for everyone moving forward as well!

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and enhance their futures professionally. Along with