International Internships in Tokyo with The Intern Group

tokyo internship
tokyo internship

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in the commercial, economic and financial capital of Japan. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in Tokyo will make you stand out from your peers.

Partnering with a range of companies, organizations, and NGOs, our program will boost your professional development. We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out.

Your program includes accommodation, airport pick up, regular social and cultural events, professional development tools and workshop, 24/7 emergency assistance, a one on one alumni career coaching session and many other great benefits. Our leading international internship programs have been featured in CNN, Time, Forbes and more.

Final Places Available for Spring Internships

There are only a couple of places remaining on The Intern Group's spring internship programs in the USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia and Latin America. Apply now to secure a space!

Hi Abu, thanks for your question. There are no specific requirements. We evaluate candidates as a whole based on your CV/resume, cover letter (should you choose to submit one) and your performance in the interview. We evaluate your previous professional and/or academic experience, enthusiasm, goals and motivations.

Penn

An Invaluable Experience

This experience truly blew away all expectations. With the help of the experience coordinators and the ease of The Intern Groups process it makes the whole experience memorable and unstressful. The company I was interning for was amazing, they were nothing but accommodating and welcoming, while challenging me to do the best I can in whatever work I did. I learned valuable skills while also improving on the skills I did have to work at a professional level. I met lifelong friends and made a network of professional acquaintances. It was the best experience I could've had with traveling abroad and an internship experience.

Zachary

A good taste of how it is like to live in Japan

I have been to Japan quite a few times but coming for an internship is a brand new experience for me. Coming through the intern group I was able to experience actually living in Japan and not just being here as a tourist while they take care of most of the more complicated things. They connect you to great companies, and the staffs are very helpful throughout the whole program. A special shoutout to the Experience Coordinator who worked really hard planning events to make sure everyone has an amazing time during their time in Tokyo.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I will talk to people who live in the same apartment or from the same program more.
Gus

unforgettable experience!

I wish i could extend my time in the program! This was a once in a lifetime experience that i will never forget. The friends i made and the work experience i got was second to none. Plus you get to explore all aspects of Tokyo on the weekends which is super awesome. The events that are planned are really well thought out and really elevate your experience. I would happily do this experience again in Tokyo or somewhere new.

I would recommend this program to anyone wanting to try something new and get out of their comfort zone whilst building experience in their chosen career. After doing this experience i have not only grown more through industry experience, but also i have managed to develop more as a person by trying new foods and exploring places i never thought i would.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
the most suprising thing was being able to see mount Fuji up close and really apprciate all of its beauty
Meridian

Great Experience

The Intern Group is an amazing company, I made great friends and had so much fun at all of the events. The staff made me feel really welcomed, safe and cared for. I'd 10/10 come back and recommend this to my friends. This program really helped me grow as a person and helped me find what I'd like to do when i get older. I'm super thankful for my time here and I wish i had more! I'm going to be sad when I leave but I know i can take this experience with me anywhere i go and apply it to where i end up. The friends and people I met are going to be my friends for the rest of my life (hopefullY) everything I learned here made me more mature and ready for my future. I'll miss the intern group

It's great no need for improvement. I had such a great time I can't think of anything else I want to change.
Megan

A Summer over seas.

I was so hesitant about doing a internship over seas since I’m a anxious person. But it was the best choice I could have ever made. I was so well versed in the culture and different ways of life. I got to do so many awesome things from different workshops and activities to even singing karaoke with random natives. I got to learn my favorite places and not so favorite places. My internship at flip productions was really helpful, I got to learn a lot about me but also learn professional skills to help with my every day life and my future. I dealt with a lot overseas like a loss of a family member but everyone was so kind. I’m so glad I stepped outside my comfort zone and made the right choice. I made friends who I still talk to and want to move back to Tokyo in the future! If you have any questions reach out to me on social media! @ _.heyitsmeg._ id love to share more of my experience.

My accommodation, I was in a separate accommodation then most of the people in my program. I felt isolated and just wanted other people around.
Jack

Worth every penny

Lots of fun. Had a fantastic time and I would absolutely do it again. You meet great people, try great food and have the experience of a life time. Even if the internship company isn't exactly towards your career field, I still think it's absolutely worth a try. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Don't be nervous about adjusting. You'll get used to everything quickly. I love Tokyo and there's no better city to do an internship at. By far my favorite experience was visiting mount Fuji. While the city is great, it was cool to see the more rural parts of Japan. The schedule is also flexible enough that you will have time to visit many other places around Japan. Tokyo alone would take you years to explore fully. There's so much to do and see.

Save money by walking when you can. The train is great but it adds up quickly. Consider renting a bike. Everyone here rides, you will blend right in. Don't be afraid to try new foods too.
Koyur

Tokyo

Honestly loved Tokyo. Everything about it, like the sights, especially Shibuya Crossing! Make sure you guys get an international drivers permit so you guys can do mario kart like me! Mario Kart was amazing! Once in a lifetime experience. Airi and Shaina were super helpful and so cool. Whenever I needed help or any sort of assistance, they were always there for me plus they give good recommendations for local sights to see!
Tokyo is amazing for those who love taking pics too, there are places like Tokyo Tower, Asakusa Temple and mount fuji. The art museums are cool as well such as the Mori art museum and the Epson Digital Art Museum.
I have also been to DisneySea, one of the coolest places that I have been too!
In terms of work experience, I believe that I have learnt a lot about the tech field, such as programming cameras and maintaining internet networks.

What was your funniest moment?
Doing Mario Kart through the streets of Tokyo! It was so funny seeing people taking pics and videos of you.
Leo

Opening doors to my future in Japan

I heard about The Intern Group (TIG) from a friend at university who did an internship in Shanghai the previous year. He got me interested in the opportunity to take a summer internship abroad, so I looked further into TIG to find that I had to option to take up an internship in Tokyo.

As an English-Japanese bilingual living in the UK, I had the thought of working abroad in Japan lurking in the back of my mind. Hence, I took up the opportunity to undertake an internship in Tokyo, so that I could get a taster for what work and life are like there. TIG was very helpful in helping me secure an internship, organising interviews and such with various companies, and I eventually settled on a small start-up company called TRINUS. As TIG knew I was fluent in Japanese, they matched me up with TRINUS and it was just as well because my interview was in Japanese. Luckily enough for me, I was just the right person for the job and I was accepted as an intern.

The job at TRINUS
TRINUS is a small start-up company founded in 2014, and it operates as a fabrication-less manufacturer. The company works to bring together under-utilised manufacturing technologies, designers and end-users to produce a variety of unique products which make the most of Japanese technology.
TRINUS is a small company with only 10 employees, none of whom speak English. As a result, it was my job to help expand the global reach of the company as an English-Japanese bilingual. My role was quite varied with me doing things such as:
• Welcoming visitors for meetings
• Answering the phone in Japanese and English
• Writing and replying to customer emails in English and Japanese
• Visiting clients to present sales pitches
• Visiting expos at Tokyo big site
• Taking care of the company's Instagram and writing bilingual posts every day.

The job is a bit of a departure from my usual line of work as a mechanical engineering student however, it's just what I was looking for to get a taste of Japanese work. The job has helped me out with my translation skills and mannerisms when dealing with Japanese clients immensely, preparing me for my future in Japan. The people at the office are great too and we've spent time outside of work doing things like seaside BBQs, playing football, visiting onsens etc. All in all, the job was great, just like the people there.

I stayed in a share residence on the outskirts of Kanagawa prefecture, about an hour away from central Tokyo. It was a very fun place to be as there was a healthy mix of people, foreign and Japanese. I was a bit of a bridge between the two demographics as a bilingual, and it was great fun because it meant I got to know everyone pretty well. The house itself is very clean and spacious and is generally a fun place to be.

Events
TIG organised a variety of events from going up the Tokyo Tower to Fuji, izakaya trips and sushi-making and more. My favourite events were the more outdoorsy ones such as going river swimming as it makes a nice change from the city.
I also made quite a few Japanese friends outside of TIG and the things I got up to with them were great too. I got up to things such as going to beaches, going snorkelling and going to Comiket.

The internship has been great as it has opened up a door to a future in Japan for me. It has helped me make connections with a variety of companies in Japan, along with connections with people who I'm likely to stay friends with for a long time to come.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Going snorkelling to see tropical fish in Hirizo. I got up at 4:30 to get there 6 hours later and it was totally worth it.
Victoria

Most memorable and fruitful summer

My summer internship experience with Workshift Solutions was such a fruitful and memorable one. I had great bosses, lovely colleagues who really had faith in my abilities to contribute to the team, which was what I appreciated the most about this experience. It was a small team, and yet everyone was so friendly and genuine, never did I feel lonely or ostracized for being the only foreigner in the team! In fact, being non-Japanese made me feel like I could contribute more to the team whenever they entrusted me with translation tasks, let me directly communicate with clients and so on.

Had I not known of The Intern Group, there was no way I could have possibly found out about this company through my own means. That is why I am so grateful for The Intern Group, as they have granted me this amazing learning opportunity, in a country which I've always wanted to experience working in- Japan.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Having to present in front of clients during an official business meeting which my boss brought me to.

I overcame it with the help of my boss who spoke highly of me to the clients- I was determined not to disappoint him and managed to present my case confidently in front of everyone.
Patricio

Life Changing!

Thanks to this program, I could now say that I’ve opened a new and better chapter of my profesional life. Before this experience, I already had some goals in mind, but thanks to the wonderful people I worked with now I know clearly the kind of person I want to become in life.
Tokyo is a great city to inspire you to want to innovate, and use the full potential of the technology you have around you.
The accommodation was amazing, I can say that I’ve made life-long friends, and the events have created some great memories and good stories to tell. I would definitely recommend anyone not to miss the chance of applying and going on this program.
In my case, my intership was engineering related, but most of my friends on the program had different internship fields and they all sounded pretty interesting! Definitely a choice for any kind of study field.

Try to keep a diary of you’re daily experiences! The city moves so fast, and there’s always atuff happening, so thats a cool way to remember the most of it!
Michaela

My #TIGTokyo Experience

Traveling to live and work in a country where you do not speak the same language and where the culture is so different from what you've previously experienced can be daunting. I soon learned I had nothing to be afraid of. Being immersed in Japanese culture and living in Tokyo for two months is something I will NEVER forget. Not only did I receive amazing work experience with my company, but The Intern Group staff created an environment that was safe and a community that was supportive and friendly. Along with the complimentary events like visiting Mt. Fuji, learning how to make sushi, and touring izakayas in Shinjuku, The Intern Group staff encouraged and facilitated other events that allowed us to fully experience Japanese culture. We frequently went out to dinner, enjoyed traditional Japanese festivals, and went on excursions to see what the city had to offer. I returned home with fun memories, experience to add to my resume, relationships that I will cherish for a long time, and a new appreciation for Japanese culture. As I write this review, I have only been home for a few days and I already cannot wait to go back. I had the experience of a lifetime and cannot recommend this program enough!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Tokyo is a city full of food that I had never tried! Throughout the program I ate grasshoppers, puffer fish, and chicken hearts... I was too afraid to try horse sashimi though...
Timothy

Great Experience!

Everything was nicely put together from the company I interned at to the events and accommodation. Before this, I had never heard of a patient recruitment company but through this, I learned how the industry works as well as the behind the scene things. Writing blogs and past case studies of my company really got me learning things I never would have learned as a science student such as marketing and business in the health industry which opens up possibilities for me in the future. My colleagues were also really supportive and helpful even though they don't speak English. Other than work, there was also plenty of time for me to travel around Tokyo and eat all kinds of food. Lucky me to have come during the summer as there are loads of festivals occurring everywhere and I really got to immerse into the Japanese culture. The accommodation I had was really good, in a small quiet town not too far from Tokyo and the program coordinators were really helpful with any problems we encounter. All in all, just be open to trying anything while you're here and have fun!

As a person who enjoys quiet and peace, there are a lot of places for short getaways outside the bustling Tokyo where you will get to experience nature and small towns. Check out free passes if you ever decide to visit these places as they are usually cheaper.
Andy

Awesome Experience

Great program, great people, and great accommodation. The coordinators are really helpful and put together awesome events. The accommodations are clean and well decorated. The people are fantastic and are from all around the world. You will not find a better program. The program has a high quantity of events and event types, so it meets a lot of people’s expectations. The job placement can sometimes be a slow process, but it often puts you in really good companies. The companies are generally selected to meet your future goals. They aren't shipping you into a sweat shop, but rather a place that really wants to further your career aspirations. During my time in the program I was able to meet everyone from CEOs to some of my closest friends. If you want a great internship and summer experience this program is great.

I would improve the things the program covers like the transportation and phone service.
Rachelle

Experience of a Lifetime

Through this program, I was able to travel around Japan since I interned for a travel agency. It was not what I expected. I got more out of this internship than I thought I would since my interview process only mentioned things related to recruitment and community development. The timing was great because my company helped in creating marketing strategies for American basketball fans coming for the 2020 Olympics to be held in Japan next year. My internship gave me experience in marketing as well because of these opportunities to help government officials and my company market to an international audience. I also got to experience the fast-paced lifestyle. I saw how historical areas are surrounded by high-tech lifestyle. The program coordinators are kind and they do their best to make sure that you are settled in and comfortable. They are always available 24/7 to help you with anything.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I ever saw was the Hakone Shrine. It was amazing to see a shrine built by the water. I ventured outside of Tokyo and wanted to see the beauty in other prefectures.
Kexin

Amazing experience and great work experience

I had a really fun and meaningful internship with the Intern Group in my summer holidays. The company I was allocated is very supportive and really allows the interns to have the freedom to express their own ideas. I was able to take my own initiative and carry out my ideas instead of being told what to do by my boss, this experience has really made me grow as a person. The activities planned by the Intern Group were really fun and engaging, we were able to experience the local food and sceneries, giving us an opportunity to know more in-depth about the city. Overall the experience is very memorable for me and I really had lots of fun with the other interns and my colleagues in the company. Last but no least, the accommodation was really new and furnished, the local coordinators are very helpful and they always help us when we have a problem.

Embrace the new environment and try to talk to your colleagues because it really helps you to know the country more and build new friendships