International Internships in Tokyo with The Intern Group (NEW PROGRAM)

tokyo internship
tokyo internship
internship in Japan

We offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in the commercial, economic and financial capital of Japan. During your internship abroad, you will gain hands-on professional experience and build a network for your future career. Your internship in Tokyo will make you stand out from your peers.

Partnering with a range of companies, organizations, and NGOs, our program will boost your professional development. We offer programs for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Current student or recent graduate? Take this chance to gain experience that will make your resume stand out.

Your program includes accommodation, airport pick up and drop off, regular social and cultural events, professional development tools and workshop, 24/7 emergency assistance, a one on one alumni career coaching session and many other great benefits. Our leading international internship programs have been featured in CNN, Time, Forbes and more.

Final Places Available for Summer Internships

There are only a couple of places remaining on The Intern Group's summer internship programs in the USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia and Latin America. Apply now to secure a space!

Jack

Worth every penny

Lots of fun. Had a fantastic time and I would absolutely do it again. You meet great people, try great food and have the experience of a life time. Even if the internship company isn't exactly towards your career field, I still think it's absolutely worth a try. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Don't be nervous about adjusting. You'll get used to everything quickly. I love Tokyo and there's no better city to do an internship at. By far my favorite experience was visiting mount Fuji. While the city is great, it was cool to see the more rural parts of Japan. The schedule is also flexible enough that you will have time to visit many other places around Japan. Tokyo alone would take you years to explore fully. There's so much to do and see.

Save money by walking when you can. The train is great but it adds up quickly. Consider renting a bike. Everyone here rides, you will blend right in. Don't be afraid to try new foods too.
Leo

Opening doors to my future in Japan

I heard about The Intern Group (TIG) from a friend at university who did an internship in Shanghai the previous year. He got me interested in the opportunity to take a summer internship abroad, so I looked further into TIG to find that I had to option to take up an internship in Tokyo.

As an English-Japanese bilingual living in the UK, I had the thought of working abroad in Japan lurking in the back of my mind. Hence, I took up the opportunity to undertake an internship in Tokyo, so that I could get a taster for what work and life are like there. TIG was very helpful in helping me secure an internship, organising interviews and such with various companies, and I eventually settled on a small start-up company called TRINUS. As TIG knew I was fluent in Japanese, they matched me up with TRINUS and it was just as well because my interview was in Japanese. Luckily enough for me, I was just the right person for the job and I was accepted as an intern.

The job at TRINUS
TRINUS is a small start-up company founded in 2014, and it operates as a fabrication-less manufacturer. The company works to bring together under-utilised manufacturing technologies, designers and end-users to produce a variety of unique products which make the most of Japanese technology.
TRINUS is a small company with only 10 employees, none of whom speak English. As a result, it was my job to help expand the global reach of the company as an English-Japanese bilingual. My role was quite varied with me doing things such as:
• Welcoming visitors for meetings
• Answering the phone in Japanese and English
• Writing and replying to customer emails in English and Japanese
• Visiting clients to present sales pitches
• Visiting expos at Tokyo big site
• Taking care of the company's Instagram and writing bilingual posts every day.

The job is a bit of a departure from my usual line of work as a mechanical engineering student however, it's just what I was looking for to get a taste of Japanese work. The job has helped me out with my translation skills and mannerisms when dealing with Japanese clients immensely, preparing me for my future in Japan. The people at the office are great too and we've spent time outside of work doing things like seaside BBQs, playing football, visiting onsens etc. All in all, the job was great, just like the people there.

I stayed in a share residence on the outskirts of Kanagawa prefecture, about an hour away from central Tokyo. It was a very fun place to be as there was a healthy mix of people, foreign and Japanese. I was a bit of a bridge between the two demographics as a bilingual, and it was great fun because it meant I got to know everyone pretty well. The house itself is very clean and spacious and is generally a fun place to be.

Events
TIG organised a variety of events from going up the Tokyo Tower to Fuji, izakaya trips and sushi-making and more. My favourite events were the more outdoorsy ones such as going river swimming as it makes a nice change from the city.
I also made quite a few Japanese friends outside of TIG and the things I got up to with them were great too. I got up to things such as going to beaches, going snorkelling and going to Comiket.

The internship has been great as it has opened up a door to a future in Japan for me. It has helped me make connections with a variety of companies in Japan, along with connections with people who I'm likely to stay friends with for a long time to come.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Going snorkelling to see tropical fish in Hirizo. I got up at 4:30 to get there 6 hours later and it was totally worth it.
Victoria

Most memorable and fruitful summer

My summer internship experience with Workshift Solutions was such a fruitful and memorable one. I had great bosses, lovely colleagues who really had faith in my abilities to contribute to the team, which was what I appreciated the most about this experience. It was a small team, and yet everyone was so friendly and genuine, never did I feel lonely or ostracized for being the only foreigner in the team! In fact, being non-Japanese made me feel like I could contribute more to the team whenever they entrusted me with translation tasks, let me directly communicate with clients and so on.

Had I not known of The Intern Group, there was no way I could have possibly found out about this company through my own means. That is why I am so grateful for The Intern Group, as they have granted me this amazing learning opportunity, in a country which I've always wanted to experience working in- Japan.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Having to present in front of clients during an official business meeting which my boss brought me to.

I overcame it with the help of my boss who spoke highly of me to the clients- I was determined not to disappoint him and managed to present my case confidently in front of everyone.
Patricio

Life Changing!

Thanks to this program, I could now say that I’ve opened a new and better chapter of my profesional life. Before this experience, I already had some goals in mind, but thanks to the wonderful people I worked with now I know clearly the kind of person I want to become in life.
Tokyo is a great city to inspire you to want to innovate, and use the full potential of the technology you have around you.
The accommodation was amazing, I can say that I’ve made life-long friends, and the events have created some great memories and good stories to tell. I would definitely recommend anyone not to miss the chance of applying and going on this program.
In my case, my intership was engineering related, but most of my friends on the program had different internship fields and they all sounded pretty interesting! Definitely a choice for any kind of study field.

Try to keep a diary of you’re daily experiences! The city moves so fast, and there’s always atuff happening, so thats a cool way to remember the most of it!
Michaela

My #TIGTokyo Experience

Traveling to live and work in a country where you do not speak the same language and where the culture is so different from what you've previously experienced can be daunting. I soon learned I had nothing to be afraid of. Being immersed in Japanese culture and living in Tokyo for two months is something I will NEVER forget. Not only did I receive amazing work experience with my company, but The Intern Group staff created an environment that was safe and a community that was supportive and friendly. Along with the complimentary events like visiting Mt. Fuji, learning how to make sushi, and touring izakayas in Shinjuku, The Intern Group staff encouraged and facilitated other events that allowed us to fully experience Japanese culture. We frequently went out to dinner, enjoyed traditional Japanese festivals, and went on excursions to see what the city had to offer. I returned home with fun memories, experience to add to my resume, relationships that I will cherish for a long time, and a new appreciation for Japanese culture. As I write this review, I have only been home for a few days and I already cannot wait to go back. I had the experience of a lifetime and cannot recommend this program enough!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Tokyo is a city full of food that I had never tried! Throughout the program I ate grasshoppers, puffer fish, and chicken hearts... I was too afraid to try horse sashimi though...
Timothy

Great Experience!

Everything was nicely put together from the company I interned at to the events and accommodation. Before this, I had never heard of a patient recruitment company but through this, I learned how the industry works as well as the behind the scene things. Writing blogs and past case studies of my company really got me learning things I never would have learned as a science student such as marketing and business in the health industry which opens up possibilities for me in the future. My colleagues were also really supportive and helpful even though they don't speak English. Other than work, there was also plenty of time for me to travel around Tokyo and eat all kinds of food. Lucky me to have come during the summer as there are loads of festivals occurring everywhere and I really got to immerse into the Japanese culture. The accommodation I had was really good, in a small quiet town not too far from Tokyo and the program coordinators were really helpful with any problems we encounter. All in all, just be open to trying anything while you're here and have fun!

As a person who enjoys quiet and peace, there are a lot of places for short getaways outside the bustling Tokyo where you will get to experience nature and small towns. Check out free passes if you ever decide to visit these places as they are usually cheaper.
Andy

Awesome Experience

Great program, great people, and great accommodation. The coordinators are really helpful and put together awesome events. The accommodations are clean and well decorated. The people are fantastic and are from all around the world. You will not find a better program. The program has a high quantity of events and event types, so it meets a lot of people’s expectations. The job placement can sometimes be a slow process, but it often puts you in really good companies. The companies are generally selected to meet your future goals. They aren't shipping you into a sweat shop, but rather a place that really wants to further your career aspirations. During my time in the program I was able to meet everyone from CEOs to some of my closest friends. If you want a great internship and summer experience this program is great.

I would improve the things the program covers like the transportation and phone service.
Rachelle

Experience of a Lifetime

Through this program, I was able to travel around Japan since I interned for a travel agency. It was not what I expected. I got more out of this internship than I thought I would since my interview process only mentioned things related to recruitment and community development. The timing was great because my company helped in creating marketing strategies for American basketball fans coming for the 2020 Olympics to be held in Japan next year. My internship gave me experience in marketing as well because of these opportunities to help government officials and my company market to an international audience. I also got to experience the fast-paced lifestyle. I saw how historical areas are surrounded by high-tech lifestyle. The program coordinators are kind and they do their best to make sure that you are settled in and comfortable. They are always available 24/7 to help you with anything.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I ever saw was the Hakone Shrine. It was amazing to see a shrine built by the water. I ventured outside of Tokyo and wanted to see the beauty in other prefectures.
Kexin

Amazing experience and great work experience

I had a really fun and meaningful internship with the Intern Group in my summer holidays. The company I was allocated is very supportive and really allows the interns to have the freedom to express their own ideas. I was able to take my own initiative and carry out my ideas instead of being told what to do by my boss, this experience has really made me grow as a person. The activities planned by the Intern Group were really fun and engaging, we were able to experience the local food and sceneries, giving us an opportunity to know more in-depth about the city. Overall the experience is very memorable for me and I really had lots of fun with the other interns and my colleagues in the company. Last but no least, the accommodation was really new and furnished, the local coordinators are very helpful and they always help us when we have a problem.

Embrace the new environment and try to talk to your colleagues because it really helps you to know the country more and build new friendships
Han

Life Changing Experience

I walked into this internship with the expectation of gaining international work experience but what came along with this experience exceeded my expectations.

I interned at a financial firm for investment banking and although it had made me realize that it was something I did not want to do it had allowed me to immerse myself in the Japanese workplace and taught me the importance of working with a team and collaborative work. Even though I had no background in finance, my colleagues were supportive and gave me a reasonable amount of work that I was able to do that allowed me to develop my Japanese skills.

Although the sharehouse was out of the way and a bit dirty sometimes, I had made life-long friends with other interns and locals living there. The Tokyo program internship coordinators Shaina and Airi went above and beyond to ensure we all had a great experience by organizing many events that allowed us to explore Tokyo and were always there whenever we needed help. They will forever be one of my closest friends I have made here during my stay.

Being in Tokyo and traveling around Japan gave me a sense of who I want to be and where I want to be. Towards the end of my program, I realize that Tokyo is where I want to start up my career and my life as well.

Go out and meet new people and explore everything Japan has to offer! Don't limit yourself to just Tokyo, it's okay to ask a couple of days off work for weekend trips to explore other parts of Japan. Enjoy every moment of your time there because it will fly by.
Matthew

Amazing!

The Tokyo internship experience met and exceeded all my expectations beyond belief! I chose Tokyo as it is one of the three global cities (Tokyo, London and New York) and thought it would offer the most challenges and new experiences (compared to other English speaking countries) and it did not disappoint. I was placed in an investment banking internship position and it was one of the most rewarding yet challenging experiences. All my local Japanese co-workers put in a lot of effort to make me feel welcomed and gave me a reasonable amount of work to keep me occupied yet not too stressed! The office was located in central Tokyo allowing me to go exploring after work everyday. I was lucky enough to experience the “local commute” and catch the squishy trains on the way to work most mornings which added to the authenticity of the whole experience. My room in the shared accommodation was bigger than expected and although the housing was a bit out of the way I wasn’t planning on spending a lot of my time at home anyway and happily spent my time exploring Tokyo.

I made long lasting friendships with all the interns and locals I was living with as well as the local internship managers who I considered more as friends than managers. The managers Shiana and Airi constantly took us out to new cool locations and arranged lots of plans for all the interns to meet up after work, really great environment.

Two days after my conclusion from the InternGroup I managed to obtain another internship at home and I only got the job due to my international experience! I highly recommend the InternGroup in Tokyo not only for the international experience you’ll gain, but the challenges you’ll face, people you meet and confidence you’ll earn is priceless.

Make the most of every opportunity and every day go exploring after work! It’ll be over before you know it.
Todd

Life changing experience and new opportunities

I had to fight a little to get more options and finally land on the internship I was placed at, but it was fate - a perfect fit.

I interned at a digital advertising agency startup with a small ~10 member international team that spoke English, French, and Japanese. They gave me so much support and resources to quickly learn about digital advertising and I really think I grew and developed my skills.

The sharehouse, while far and often dirty (shared kitchens are never fun) allowed me to meet some really great people and have some travel-buddies. I think I made some life-long friends there.

The Tokyo program internship coordinators, Ayane, Airi, and Shaina were all truly amazing. They really made the experience go above and beyond expectations. They always made sure everyone was comfortable and taken care of, but also organized a ton of events for us to explore and immerse in Japanese culture and cuisine. I had such an amazing time and I am happy to call them all friends.

Because of the support and encouragement, I am going to come back to Tokyo very soon to look for work and start up life!

Setting expectations about share house options, conditions, commute times and how packed the trains get.

Also I had to email back and forth so many times and even get my parents involved (which I hated doing) in order for the intern group to provide more internship options. Again, once I had a few options I could choose one and it ended up being amazing - but that was an initial struggle.
Alexandra

Design intern meets Tokyo

I prepared for this internship with an outlook of coming home with international experience on my CV and whatever else came with it would be a bonus. My expectations were beyond exceeded with so many new experiences happening at the same time I was really pushed to get out of my comfort zone and as a result have really found my feet as both a designer and a person. I couldn’t recommend this experience enough if you’re looking for some direction in both your career and self-discovery.

Hard work really does pay off, even if the internship ends up being one that you realise isn’t what you want to do. Just gaining experience in the workplace, learning about the structure of a team and the workflow process is valuable experience. Definitely take this opportunity if available to you, it’s like a nurturing hand walking you through the tricky bridge between school and career. It makes the process a lot smoother and supportive. I got offered a job at the end of my internship which was very unexpected, so go for it! Who knows what this experience has in store for you ...

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The first day of work. It was the best feeling proving to yourself that you are in control of taking a step in the direction of your dreams, and having a successful first day made me feel very proud of myself which is an incredible and rewarding feeling.

Location:
Narita International Airport
( NRT )
Haneda Airport
( HND )

Tokyo being one of the most densely populated urban areas in the world has created a metropolis focused on furthering technology. Even with the dense population, there are still many areas where you can see Japan's history and culture coming through.

About The Intern Group

The Intern Group is one of the leading providers of international internships. Our programs are located in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia & Latin America. We place participants from all over the world in international internships that propel...