IFSA: Advanced Language and Culture in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires

Spend your summer studying the rich culture, history and literature of Argentina, living in the distinct urban sophistication of Buenos Aires. Museums, opera and cinemas mix comfortably with the sounds of soccer, Zumba, and Tai Chi in the city's welcoming plazas and parks, waiting for you to dive right in.

• Study on an outstanding program courses specially designed for IFSA students located at the oldest public university in Argentina
  • Convenient access to Buenos Aires, a dynamic city with unlimited things to see and do
  • Opportunity to fulfill degree requirements and improve your Spanish in a vibrant location
  • Program courses conducted in Spanish by Argentine faculty
  • Take Advanced Spanish and Argentine Culture courses and choose at least one optional program course: Latin American and Argentine Literature or Argentine History

IFSA Scholarships
IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Sara

Fall Semester, IFSA-Butler

I studied abroad in the 2017 fall semester with IFSA-Butler in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was one of the most challenging, inspiring, at times frustrating, intimidating, rewarding (ect.) experiences of my life. I found I was able to immerse myself and connect with a whole new culture and way of living, most of which was done outside of the classroom. Considering that all of my courses were taught in Spanish--that was a challenge to begin with, so I was thankful for the level of difficulty in the classroom. The professors emphasized that it was more important to learn from trial and error while actively practising the language rather than determining your grade from a test score. I was able to explore art, history, politics, and film in a whole new way, all the way working on the most important component, my language skills. From learning about the life of my host mother to playing on a local soccer team to travelling on a whim to some of the most far-out and remote locations I never knew existed; I loved every minute of study abroad, even the hard moments when I didn't know I could do it.

At the end of the semester, IFSA took all the students from my semester on a program-wide trip to Uruguay for a few days. It was an incredible time to bond with other students, explore a new country, and reflect on the semester. We were not given that opportunity to know one another at the beginning of the program, which I understand and appreciate the freedom to branch out. However, it would have been nice to have a little more fallback throughout the semester.
Lipaz

Buenos Aires with IFSA Butler

IFSA Butler facilitated the experience I was looking for. As a fairly independent person who wanted the opportunity to create myself outside of a super organized American program, IFSA provided me with the freedom to enroll in local universities and create my own personalized experience. While I absolutely loved my host mom, I knew various people that wanted to change, and IFSA was incredibly responsive to such issues. Beyond this, Argentina is absolutely beautiful and I would recommend to anyone who is considering studying abroad in South America to consider going there and on this program. You will have the opportunity to improve your Spanish, live in a vibrant beautiful country, and make friends from all over the world.

To me, the process of choosing classes appeared intimidating. I would love to have had a list of recommended classes across universities from which I could choose.