CISabroad - Semester in Newcastle - University of Newcastle

The University of Newcastle is a highly ranked institution with a stunning, ecologically sustainable campus. Here, you’ll work hard and play hard, experiencing the true Aussie lifestyle. The city of Newcastle has stunning beaches for surfing and swimming, a low cost of living, a favorable climate, and a casual lifestyle. The perks continue: Our Semester in Newcastle is our most affordable program in the Land Down Under. Enjoy your smart investment as you take your studies and social life to the next level. Best of all, you can easily travel to larger cities like Sydney, which is less than three hours away by train.

• Great location: 20 minutes to the beach, 2.5 hours to Sydney by train
  • Extensive academic, social, and sport facilities on campus and an outdoorsy vibe
  • Easy access to mountains, national parks, beaches, and rainforests
  • Study on two of Australia's most unique campuses: Callaghan (covered in bushland) and Newcastle City - with a free shuttle to take you back and forth
  • Easy to meet local Australian students through campus clubs and organizations

Abigail

The most remarkable way to transform your life

I've had the pleasure of studying at The University of Newcastle through CIS abroad for three magnificent semesters. The lessons you learn from living in a foreign country are lessons that cannot be learned in any other way. The values you will add to your life through this experience are ceaseless.

I am rich in experience thanks to CIS abroad and I am so grateful they were behind me in my decision to extend my stay for as long as I was able to. Without their help, I would not have felt confident in doing so. If I had to provide just 5 takeaways, they would be as follows:
1. BE PRESENT!
You may not anticipate the amount of cultural differences you will face in Australia, but don't get caught up in comparing everything to America.. embrace the culture because it's so precious to be able to do so! You will also run in to unforeseen complications at some point along the way, I promise.. but don't fret. Don't put blame on anyone or anything in that case.. just accept that it was bound to happen and move forward.
2. When it comes to academics abroad, don't panic..
It will be different than what you are used to, but you will adapt. If you are struggling, ask for help.. whether it is from staff at Newcastle, your home university, or the lovely CIS abroad crew! (it is their job to be there for you and they never fall short of that expectation!)
3. Prioritize the places you want to see while you're in that corner of the world!
Time will go by quickly and it's best to make the most of it. If there's somewhere you want to get to while you're in Australia, get there! It's that simple.
4. Stay true to yourself..
You WILL be exposed to a different culture and it's up to you to figure out what you do/don't like about it. While, of course, it's great to immerse yourself in whatever presents itself to you, it's more than okay to not like it and never want to partake in it again. You will learn so much about yourself on this adventure!!
4. Be aware. Be kind. Throw the judgement out the window...
You are not going to be the only international student in Newcastle, I promise. Consider that there are others in your position and they may handle things differently than you. Also, do not be afraid to make new friendships with people from all backgrounds. Put yourself out there and make connections with people on this journey.

If you are considering studying abroad, I hope my words excite you. If you are already enrolled to study abroad, I hope my words encourage you as my advice reassures you. If you have already studied abroad, I hope you can resonate with my words. Safe travels to you all in this unpredictable life!

I think the only suggestion I have for future improvement would be a bit more preparation in pre-departure. Of course, it is difficult to cover everything, but a bit more could be discussed. i.e. structure of academics at UoN, more information on public transportation in Newy.
Sarah

Newcastle, Australia

I loved getting to leave the US for the first time and it was a great experience! I met really cool people, took new and interesting classes, experienced a new culture, and learned to live independently. I highly recommend studying abroad to anyone who gets the chance to because I could be the best part of your college experience. Also, the staff both who get you there and those who are with you on site are the kindest, most helpful people ever and they really care about you having a great time.

Abigail

So amazing that I haven't left yet..

I have lived under a dozen roofs in my lifetime, but I have found my favourite home here in Newy. I arrived in Australia to study in Newcastle in February 2018 and am currently in my THIRD semester here through CIS. I could ramble for ages regarding my love for Newy and what this program has given me, but I will try to briefly outline the experience for you:

Academics:
Uni is structured differently here - but don't let that intimidate you! The set up is far more independent and relaxed, although I must admit that the curriculum is more challenging in comparison to my university in America. You will have a lecture once a week and a lab or tutorial for the same course within the week as well. (I have added a screen shot of my upcoming timetable so you can see the structure!)

Living Situation:
From February until the beginning of December, I lived on college (on campus) at uni. At home, I have always commuted so I didn't really know what I was in for, but I was not disappointed! The "dorms" were more like apartments and they were just put up in 2015 so everything was new! I have since moved off campus nearby to uni and love this lifestyle as well! It allows more freedom and it is easier to navigate to some places, but overall I've loved both experiences.

Cultural Immersion:
I will preface this by saying that although they do speak English, YOU WILL RUN IN TO MORE LANGUAGE BARRIERS THAN YOU ANTICIPATE! In fact, I still find myself coming across them. Overall though, the Aussie culture is super easy to acclimate to!

Program Administration:
I have become great friends with my on-site coordinator in Newcastle and have always felt comfortable reaching out to her or any CISabroad staff when I've needed assistance!

Social Life:
Newcastle is a wonderful place to be social! I suffered a great deal of social anxiety in America, which was one of my main concerns when entering this program. Thankfully, I no longer have fear of social events. In fact, I look forward to them!

Eric

Miss it everyday!

I had an incredible time in Newcastle. The CISAbroad program did an incredible job preparing me to go overseas and get acquainted to the new culture and surroundings. I had so many amazing experiences and adventures while I was abroad and I met such great people that will be lifelong friends. Even though Newcastle may seem like a smaller city, it is absolutely beautiful and there is so much to do! Nightlife is amazing and the hiking is gorgeous. Education is a bit hard to get used to, but its relatively stress free and manageable. Overall, I highly recommend studying in Newcastle. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

More pre-departure prep to acquaint me with the school before I got there would be helpful. More interaction with other international students while I was there would have been nice, especially during the orientation.
Tamara

Overall Good

From having friends at many different schools in Australia, Newcastle gives the best experience. Living with Australian student (unlike many other college which they only live with other international students) is an great opportunity and really made the transition into this country a lot easier. Only having classes 2 days a week was very different from my everyday class schedule at home. The one thing that was very difficult was understanding the grading system and the differences between how we write and do assessments and test versus the Aussie way.

bringing everyone whom is doing the studying in Australia together. The trips and times to meet up were really inconvenient and not planned enough ahead to ensure that people could put it in their schedules to be able to attend. Being able to travel all together would have been nice.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...