Study Abroad in Australia: University of Canberra

The Study Abroad program at the University of Canberra (UC) allows you to study in Australia and receive credit for one to two semesters of your degree. Choose from over 3,000 classes! Contact us to find out more by clicking the GET STARTED button above or visit our website by clicking VISIT SITE.

Program Highlights:
1. Living on campus at the UC means living just footsteps away from the resident kangaroos.
2. UC offers hands on, practical learning, aiming for job-ready graduates.
3. UC is ranked in the top 4% of QS World University Rankings
4. UC’s semester dates line up with well with the Northern Hemisphere University calendar, meaning you can study abroad and have that summer job or internship you want without compromise.
5. Canberra’s low unemployment rate means a much better chance of landing a job than in most other Australian cities.
6. Full support through our Study Abroad Office, loads of trips and activities, plus guaranteed housing

Brooke

So Happy I Did This.

I am truly happy I took the leap to come to Canberra, Australia. I have traveled before but with family and friends for short periods of time. This has been my first time abroad for 4 months and without friends and family. I have grown close to so many students here and we are all becoming close like a family. I have adapted very quickly here, which really helped the transition. The ambassadors have been very helpful and a lot of fun. Knowing that they have also been in our situation really helps us bond with them because they know what we are going through. When I go back to the US I will have to get used to everything being on the right side since I have been getting use to everything on the left. Learning this culture really opens my eyes and excites me to learn about more cultures. I am excited to see what the next three months bring me and I encourage everyone to take the opportunity to study abroad.

I would highly recommend this program. Some things that need to be improved is the organization of signing up for class. Due to the different culture it was very difficult understanding what was needed to be done in order to sign up for classes. I feel that was the most stressful thing to do and if it could be broken down a little more I feel it could have been easier to do myself.
Erin

UC Feedback

Everyone I have encountered since being at UC have been extremely helpful to say the least. We always know all the activities that are going on because they make sure they inform us and everyone wants to make sure you have an amazing time abroad. All of the ambassadors are more than willing to drive you places and take you on trips to see other sides of Australia. Canberra is definitely not as populated as other big cities but you can find plenty to do on the weekends and everything is very reasonably prices. I like how my housing is perfect walking distance to the mall where i get my groceries as well as campus.

I would recommend being more hands on with students when it comes to enrolling in classes. Being from a different country, the enrolling in units part was difficult and it would've been nice to have more help.
Cristina

@UC

I had never been on my own in my country, so being by myself on the other side of the world seemed to be pretty challenging... Though beggining with the people from the study abroad office at UC, everyone was very welcoming and nice. I met people with whom I lived amazing experiences... friends that got to know me in a way maybe not even I knew myself. Living in Canberra is very cool, it is not hectic and yet, you get to do a lot of things... a really nice living rythim. Getting used to classes at UC was really smooth, unit's activities are all sorted out from the beggining of the semester, so you can organize yourself easily. And there are a lot of interesting things organized by uni people.

Postman

My Exchange at UC

The University of Canberra provides a very good exchange program. The student society is heaps awesome and student life here is lively. However, accommodation and food on campus area are not the best. The university has a lot of interesting units from which to choose.

Earlier information on application process.
Daniel

Enjoying the Thrill of Meeting New Mates

University of Canberra exchange program enlightened me to travel overseas for the first time. You can go away for the weekend, travel to the iconic Sydney (3 hours), or travel before/after your semester. With a lot of tourist destinations within 1-5 hour flights, at your disposal is a great opportunity to explore Aussie culture.

The only difficulties I found was planning travel with friends early enough to get a fairer price (hard life, right?). Be sure to book as far as you can in advance to get the most affordable price.

One thing I would suggest to the program is providing day activities within the exchange group more often throughout the semester. Although we did get with each other a few times, It would have been nice to explore Canberra more.
Mariah

Lovely Campus

Most campus and res staff and students are extremely helpful. The campus is easy to navigate, theres always something going on around res and events on campus. Great atmosphere! Traveling around the area is very easy, Greyhound busses to Sydney (with free wifi) for only $25 and lots of great flight deals from Sydney. There's plenty to do in Canberra you just have to go out and look for it yourself!

Simpler enrollment process. It was improved from semester 1 to 2 but could still be easier. Also more help for students getting jobs or making money either on or off campus would be great, especially for those who are here for a full year.
Pauline

A good surprise

Usually when you talk to people about the city of Canberra, they look at you with a funny face and tell you that it must be boring to leave there. It wasn't the case for me thanks to the University of Canberra. Indeed, the UC Study Abroad and Exchange Program do a great job. During my semester we made plenty of different activities, every weeks, thanks to the many UC ambassadors. They helped us to be familiar with the country, the culture and helped us every time we had a question or a problem. I keep a good memory of my semester at UC and I recommend it to future students (and it's one of the only big university in Australia where you can see everyday big groups of kangaroos crossing the campus, it's amazing !)

to be more connected with the australian culture. Exchange students form always a close group, I recommend more communication with australian people, current students in UC
Alexa

Orientation week

The orientation week was very helpful not just to get to know the university but to get to know all the other exchange students. Also in the activities we get to know the principle sightseeing places of Canberra. Very helpful because that way we knew where they where when we wanted to go back. The orientation trip was awesome, one of the best experiences. Its the place where we make more friends and got great tours in Sydney. All the places we enter and visit at Sydney were perfect to get to know the city.
All the study aboard team were very helpful with uni topics, for examples changing units, they always have time and answer all the emails.

What I would change would be during orientation week more day trips to the city like museums and important monuments.
Benedicte

Different than expexted

I've learned a lot about planning my weeks and months, when it comes to my school work, becouse here I actually had to becouse off all the things I had to keep up with and remember to do at all times.

When it comes to things to bring I am so happy i brought a rain jacket and a thicker jacket, cause the weather here is cold (even compared to norway, though a reason might have been the shock about going from mid summer to winter).

And a dictionary was also helpful at times, Even though most of the time I was fine it was good to have as a back up (and I know some forgot it and missed it, and some had ask to borrow mine, so it could be a good idea even though it is big and heavy...)

I would have loved more information about the different living oppurtunities on campus. Online it appeared to be only one option if you where not staying for a year, but when I got here I figured that was not the case, but it felt like a hassle to change it.
Response from University of Canberra

Hi Benedicte,

Thank you for your review and reflective feedback. It is great to hear that you learned a lot about planning and organising your weeks as this shows that you kept busy throughout the semester. As an exchange program we want students to keep busy throughout their time and studies in Canberra. We hope that you got to plan plenty of time for exploring Canberra and the other regions of Australia. For students, Canberra has much to offer and being the nation’s capital we are right at the footsteps to some great museums and festivals. Being at the base of the Snowy Mountains, we enjoy seasonal weather and Canberra’s often sunny weather makes the hikes and treks in the surrounding parks are amazing. Canberra prides itself on being Australia’s most liveable city – a great achievement for Australia’s largest inland city!

As mentioned, Canberra does have seasonal weather and the winter time here in the nation’s capital can be a shock to the system upon arrival. It is great to receive this type of feedback as the cold weather is something that shocks many students before their semester – that is why we recommend students bring a coat. For students who speak English as a second language, a dictionary is always recommended as we understand that the English language is not the easiest to comprehend at times. I hope you feel like you have been able to improve your English skills. Thank you for providing these two tips – we hope it helps future students.

Regarding housing, we welcome your negative feedback. We try to provide students with the best possible information for housing and unfortunately this semester there was some confusion as to the contract lengths and options for students who were here for only a semester. The Study Abroad and Exchange Office aims to provide students with the best experience while living in Canberra and unfortunately this is one aspect of the program which we have limited control over. As the majority of housing on campus is privately operated, the exchange office is unable to determine costs, payments and the general operation of these living options. Despite this, we continue to communicate all feedback regarding housing with each housing area. As seen in recent years, new and more affordable housing options are beginning to be offered on campus and this will hopefully continue as the university moves through its expansion.

Allie

My time at UC

Going on Exchange was something that I thought I'd never do. I've always been a homebody and this is completely outside my comfort zone, but I'm so glad I did it. I've been able to experience a different culture and make new friends from all over the world! I've also had a very supportive group of people who have helped make this experience as comfortable as possible! UC has a group of ambassadors who are students that have already gone on exchange, and therefore understand what kinds of things we may be feeling. The ambassadors are there to welcome you, take you around, plan special trips, and just help you have a good time. And the other students in general are all very friendly. Although Canberra may not be the most exciting city in Australia, its a great place to live, meet people, and study. And you can always travel around to other cities or countries on weekends and school breaks! I arrived earlier and although I may have been one of the few people on campus at the time, I would still recommend it! It gave me a chance to settle down, meet people, see the city, and travel all before school started. Therefore I knew my way around before a lot of other people arrived.

Signing up for classes was a bit confusing and could have been a bit less stressful.
Helen

Life Changing Adventure

Making the decision to study at the University of Canberra is the best decision of my academic career. The location of the uni in Belconnen is perfect, close to the mall, the lake and park. I studied English Literature and the classes I took this semester were really interesting and offered a different approach to my home uni in England. In particular I loved the creative writing class taught by an author renowned in his field. I cannot thank the study abroad team enough for all of the effort they have put into making myself and all my international friends welcome in Australia. They went above and beyond by organising trips and activities throughout the year. The weekend trip to Sydney was amazing, seeing the Opera House and the habour with my new friends. The mid-semester trip to Cairns was honestly the best week of my life, jam-packed with crazy activities like white water rafting, horse riding, canoeing, snorkeling the great barrier reef and feeding wallabies to name but a few. The friends I've made on this exchange are amazing and I continue to talk to them everyday, from countries scattered around the world. UC is the place to be, if you chose to come and study here, I guarantee you will not regret it. It will change your life!

Maybe as well as having a welcome meeting and a farewell gathering for the internationals, maybe have one half way through the year where everyone comes together and can say what they have enjoyed so far and what they plan to do for the rest of the semester. That is honestly the only thing I can think of- this semester has been amazing!
Andrew

Worth going to Canberra

I have a few friends who have done exchange in Australia and around the world and I was the only one who got to experience the true country's culture. University of Canberra's buddy system and ambassador program help every student feel at home. The staff at UC are also always willing to help and very approachable. From fun activities to amazing opportunities UC is a must destination to consider when doing study abroad!

The only thing that could be improve is housing! However I know the Universityhas little control over it.
Mandi

An Experience of a LIFETIME!!! :D

The University of Canberra is such a beautiful and welcoming University! I loved how friendly everyone was!! From students to staff members; everyday I would find myself meeting someone new or exchanging smiles with someone as we walked past one another; especially the staff. The staff are such wonderful people and were so kind and willing to help me if I needed it. :)

On top of that, the Study Abroad and Exchange Program plan AMAZING, once in a lifetime, "vacation" adventures during the week off of school. I was so lucky to have experienced so many breath taking journeys scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, Kayaking in the Pacific Ocean, and Holding a Koala. The only thing I regret is not bringing an underwater camera. ;)

Then the campus is one that I have never seen before. Filled with rich green life, beautiful birds, wild Kangaroos, and just down the road is the Ginninderra Lake; that is so beautiful that words can't even describe; especially when the sunset shines across the water!

Life at the University of Canberra is one that everyone should experience because it doesn't feel like school at all. Classes are fun, teachers are nice and helpful, students are friendly, and before you know it, it becomes your second home.

If I could change the program, I would try and make the buddy system a little better and more organized. For instance, my buddy had studied abroad already in Florida the year before. It was cool she had already studied abroad and could use her experience to help me transition into my study abroad experience, but throughout the semester I found at least 3 other students who had, or were going to study abroad at my university (UNC), yet they weren't assigned to me; either because they were assigned to someone else who wasn't from UNC, or didn't even have a buddy. :/ Does this make sense?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is maybe assign buddies who went/are going to the same university. :)
Saskia

valuable experiences

friendly and helpful people through and through - if i ever needed support, i got it almost instantly! i especially got to love the community i experienced in my accomodation AND the international group.
to sum it up: ive had a great time and im sure that everyone who will participate in this overseas exchange programme will have an equally valuable experience!

Gareth

So happy I did it!

Was very hesitant to come to Australia, knowing I'd be here for a year, but as my time is coming to an end, I'm wishing I could stay longer!
The people here are amazing, between the Australians I live on res with, and the exchange students I have met, they have made this experience what it was, and that's the best year of my life.
The ambassadors have done so much to make this experience fun for the exchange students. Despite not getting paid, they always had plenty of time for us by organising trips, parties, bbqs etc.
It was amazing getting to know so many people from different cultures amongst the exchangees and Australians. It makes me just want to travel more afterwards.
Canberra is in a good position geographically as well, as it's a reasonable distance from both Sydney and Melbourne.

The rent is so expensive for what you get. Not only that, but if you miss a rent payment, they don't let you know about missing your payment until they email you, giving you about one week before they kick you off. The people in the office can be blunt. They say they will do inspections on a certain date and they arrive a week later and charge each housemate $60 for a failed inspection. They don't give your deposit back after your stay until you ask for it. Isn't that illegal?
These are the reasons why less and less people live on campus.
Response from University of Canberra

Hi Gareth,
Thank you for your review of our program and we are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your experience here in Australia. Your feedback and praise for our ambassadors will be taken with full stride as we try to make the program greater each semester.

We welcome your negative feedback regarding housing. The Study Abroad and Exchange Office aims to provide students with the best experience while living in Canberra and unfortunately this is one aspect of the program which we have limited control over. As the majority of housing on campus is privately operated, the exchange office is unable to determine costs, payments and the general operation of these living options. Despite this, we continue to communicate all feedback regarding housing with each applicable residency. As seen in recent years, new and more affordable housing options are beginning to be offered on campus and this will hopefully continue as the university moves through its expansion.

About University of Canberra

The University of Canberra is located in Australia's capital city, Canberra. Canberra is conveniently located 3 hours from Sydney and 2 hours from the south coast beaches and the snowy mountains. Canberra offers the perfect blend of city and nature,...