BCA Study Abroad: Cheltenham, England

Enter the “Bridge the World Sweepstakes” today!

Enter today! Five students will be randomly selected to win a $2,500 scholarship toward a spring 2019 BCA program.

Bridge the world and become a global citizen! Connect with local people and issues that matter through BCA’s innovative programs in 12 locations around the world. Act for social justice and take home critical knowledge and valuable skills for a lifetime of benefits.

Learn more about the sweepstakes on the BCA website.

Cheltenham is a cultural hub! The city hosts more than 40 festivals throughout each year, attracting top international professionals. During the fall literature festival, Cheltenham welcomes more than 600 of the world’s best writers, actors, politicians and poets. In the spring, the city premiers international jazz legends and rising artists. Cheltenham is also home to the famous horse race, “The Cheltenham Gold Cup.” During one week in March, this event attracts more than 200,000 people from around the world – turning the whole city into one big celebration.

Experience Cheltenham and England as a local with the help of your Resident Director, who was born and raised there. Journey with your RD to different local treasures, historic sites and famous landmarks, designed to enhance and deepen your understanding and appreciation of your new home. Excursions outside of the city vary by semester but in the past have included Bath, Stonehenge or London.

• Cheltenham is a lively, off-the-beaten-path, city known for its Regency architecture, beautiful parks, fine shopping, live entertainment, world famous horse racing course and international festivals.
  • Befriend British students as you live and study together and experience English daily life through the lens of your peers.
  • Get in on the action and join one of more than 80 different sports clubs and student societies, from football and snowboarding to music, acting and film.
  • Become part of the local community by participating in one of the many festivals that Cheltenham hosts each year or by volunteering with a local organization in the city.

Micaela

Cheltenham, UoG

The BCA program was wonderful and the program staff were super helpful and supportive in everything from accommodations to traveling to medical needs. Cheltenham is a fun and safe town where everything is easy to get to. My only complaint is about the course I was studying because the modules weren’t interesting and the lecturers not that helpful. However, I liked the creative writing classes; it was the psychology ones that were unhelpful. I also made lifelong friendships with other students at the University of Gloucestershire. I was able to travel with them to different countries, go to the cinema, go out to various bars and MooMoo club rooms. I’ve even traveled back to England (Cheltenham) to visit my friends and boyfriend that I met while studying abroad. Definitely recommend this program to any potential student.

With the excursions, have some specific places but also give the students free time and not be so rushed.
Brooke

Once in a lifetime experience

Studying abroad in Cheltenham was a dream because of its convenient location, comfortable housing and exceptional support. Exploring and adventures were just a walk to the bus station away. Trips to Dublin, Paris, Rome, Wales and London were easily made on the weekends.
Living with British students truly immersed us in the culture and made it easy for us to quickly make friends. The support system we had in Cheltenham was part of what made the transition to a new country so much more exciting. Our resident director was just a text away at all times, and we all got so close it was like having a British family.
The only bad thing about this trip is that I miss it so much that I think about it everyday. I recommend Cheltenham to anyone looking to enjoy city life in a student dorm, make lifelong friends and see sites you have only ever seen in movies.

The workload for the BCA signature course was a bit more intense than what I heard other countries had. However, it did help with the acclimation process.
Jacqueline

Best experience of my life!

Opened my eyes to my love of travel-- and has influenced my life ever since. Program directors were fantastic-- accommodation was perfect. An experience that led me to meet some of my closest friends, and boyfriend. I have been back to Cheltenham many times since my first study abroad trip, and loved the school so much that I chose to get my MA there! I highly recommend BCA and its study abroad program.

Sophie

Charming Cheltenham

My study abroad experience was one of my top college highlights. I was able to take needed courses in my major at the University of Gloucestershire while living and studying with students from all around the United Kingdom. The program directors were fabulous; super approachable, fun, and helpful. Several fun day trips were planned for us. It was also easy to get around the town on our own. I also took trips to neighboring towns and around Europe. Cheltenham gives you a more relaxed experiences with easy transportation options into London and other places.

Steph

Tangled Up With The French Police

During my semester in Cheltenham, England with BCA Study Abroad, my friends and I were fortunate enough to have a class schedule that gave us long weekends off. So, we maximized this opportunity by planning trips to various countries throughout Europe over various weekends. On one such 4 day trip, we explored Switzerland and then France. However, we were what you would call budget travelers, and in the most severe sense of the term possible. We figured out the cheapest way possible to get where we wanted to go, and then we went for it. The problem is, when you're aiming for the most affordable option, it often means adding additional, drawn out legs to your journey and booking everything in advance. Well, on this particular trip, we have planned to get back to England on a Sunday by taking the train from Paris to the French port city of Calais and then taking the ferry across the English Channel to Dover. From there, we planned to take a train back to London, where we would grab a late night bus back to Cheltenham in time for classes the next morning. Tired yet?! However, as our luck would have it, we missed the second leg of our journey home (the ferry across the English Channel from France to England) in the most melodramatic way possible. The scene involved the 5 of us girls running down a highway with all of our luggage like crazy foreigners, trying to climb through a hole in a fence desperately trying to get to the ferry, and being questioned by French police as a result. Thankfully, it all worked out eventually, and after being escorted by the French police to a later ferry and arriving to the White Cliffs of Dover in the dark, we ended up having to take a bus to another train station (because the train wasn't working in Dover for some reason-go figure!), where we caught the train back to London and then had to buy new bus tickets back to Cheltenham because we had more than missed the bus we had booked in advance. Can you say domino effect?! Needless to say, the 5 of us will never forget that trip!

About BCA Study Abroad

Established in 1962, BCA Study Abroad has been committed to helping students understand contemporary issues by offering challenging and rewarding study abroad programs. From its start, BCA has focused its educational mission on engaging students with...