CISabroad - Semester in London - University of Westminster

It’s not a dream—you can study and live in the dazzling city of London. Yes, the London, with its double-decker buses, stacked museums, enormous Parliament building, jolly pubs, and traditional afternoon tea. Only, you won’t be a tourist, so you’ll discover all the hidden gems just like a local. During our Semester in London – University of Westminster program, you’ll take a range of classes at this historic university. The school is one of the most diverse in the country, so prepare to increase your social circle. You can also opt to intern at one of London’s many businesses and organizations, gaining practical experience and boosting your resume. You can really make this city your own.

Katherine

Excellent support

While I had friends also studying abroad at the University of Westminster who enrolled directly, and it is certainly possible to make do this way, the support from the CIS abroad staff was worth it to me. Students are under the care of two separate advisors throughout the experience, the first being a US based program coordinator who is available (and responds quickly) to any and all questions, and makes sure students are well prepared to navigate traveling/customs/visas and provides valuable information ahead of time. Once you get to London, you are picked up at the airport by the on-site coordinators who give you a walking tour of the neighborhood, and are close-by for the duration of your semester should you need anything.

If anything, I would have liked more social opportunities early on to get to know the other students in my program. I got to know those that I met initially really well, but there weren't enough opportunities to expand my social circle much.
Alexis

Abroad

This was a good experience. The coordinator at Bay Path College wasn't helpful at all. She kept referring me to the CIS program. I was told one month before I was ready to leave and at Christmas time that we owed another $5,000. I was suppose to pay my college and I paid the study abroad program instead. The person at the college should have been more up to date on the program.

I am not sure if I missed this but I was not aware I was going to have to buy so much kitchen items that I had to leave there. I didn't know anyone in the dorm to ask to share pots, pan and storage items. Also people kept eating my food and I was on a budget. That was very stressful to me. I would have went to the dollar store at home and brought more items so I didn't have to spend so much money.

We were told to get a student visa which cost more money and it caused confusion when I was traveling. They old me I didn't need it at the airport

People were very nice, accommodations were also nice. I would recommend this program again

Inform the person staying that they need pots and pans. Recommend traveling with someone. Much easier to have a friend than try and find someone who has the same interests. It was still a good experience but would have been better if I went with someone
Response from CISabroad

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide such valuable feedback. We're sorry that you weren't aware of the need to provide your own cookware. We're also sorry that you would have enjoyed having a pre-established friend on the program with you. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the company of others and so many other aspects of the program. Thanks, Alexis.

Olivia

The Semester of a Lifetime

This program gives a new meaning to cultural immersion. As a student at University of Westminster, I lived and studied in the heart of central London. My eyes were opened to so many unique aspects of living in a European country and a metropolis, and by the end of the five months, I truly felt like a real Londoner. The setup of the program encourages independence, but while I was able to pursue my own interests, studies, friendships, and travels, I also had a support system to lean on when needed. Now that this program has ended, I find myself feeling homesick for London. I would recommend this experience to anyone looking to find themselves in the big city.

The strenuosity of the academics at University of Westminster was nothing compared to what I was used to at my home university. While the easy classes gave me ample free time to explore the city and travel around Europe, students looking for a more school-focused experience should pursue higher level classes and take the maximum course load.
Amy

Amy’s Review

I loved this program! London is a wonderful city to study in, and the program helped me make the most of it. The program coordinators planned lots of fun cultural activities for us, like seeing West End shows and going to afternoon tea at a nice hotel. It was also helpful to have coordinators to show us the ropes of the tube, and have people there to answer our questions if we had any. Going abroad is the best way to make the most of your college experience!

Caroline

Best decision I've made

Completing the Semester at University of Westminster program was the best decision I've ever made - London is the most diverse, exciting city, and it's filled with opportunities. I made friends from around the world and we went to museums around the city, beautiful parks, trendy restaurants in Notting Hill, clubs in Soho, pubs in Hoxton, and underground markets in Shoreditch. London is also a great touchpoint to travel to other countries - I easily made weekend trips to Iceland, Sweden, Scotland, and Italy. It's impossible to be bored in a city that offers such a wide range of activities (a lot of which are free) and access to other countries.
Beyond that, CISAbroad made the transition from home to overseas as smooth as possible. My other friends that were studying abroad had a multitude of problems with their programs, but CIS made sure I was as prepared as possible and were always there to help when I needed it.

N/A
Giovanna

Semester Abroad-University of Westminster.

With this program came an infinite amount of opportunities. I was able to make friends of a lifetime, travel throughout Europe with a safe staff right by my side, embark on excursions that were included by being apart of CISabroad, the list is truly endless. With this trip being my first time out of the country I was nervous, as anybody should be. The support system I have been granted through this specific program allowed me to gain sense of comfort. I never had an issue with communication via the onsite directors and I was always provided with the information I was seeking. Throughout my three month journey in London, I couldn't have imagined having the same experience without CISabroad.

One thing that could definitely be improved upon is to give the students, us, the option to live in flats rather than the dormitory buildings. There were many issues that I, along with the other students in the building, experienced that got to be annoying. Fire alarms went off every thursday morning, elevators broke often (having to take twelve flights of stairs), key cards wouldn't work occasionally, but those are just a few things. Another thing that can be improved upon is to let everybody within the program to embark on the excursions. My travel buddy and I were not aware that you had to sign up in advance to partake in that specific activity. Therefore, we did not get to enjoy one excursion that was given through the program.
London
Lexi

Semester at University of Westminster

This program gave me everything I was looking for as a first time study abroad student. The Site Director in London was a comfort to have. I felt like I had a resource and a helping hand as I navigated the new city. She was sure to talk to me and check in with me if I was feeling homesick. I also appreciated my Site Director's resourcefulness. I had to see a doctor while I was abroad and she gave me heaps of locations I could utilize. Plus, the university had a study abroad office available if I had any school specific questions. It's worth noting that the university had a large study abroad program, so there are courses geared specifically toward stud abroad students. I 10/10 recommend "Modern Art in London".
I also loved this program because while I had open communication with my Site Director, I was free to be independent. While I was in London, I spent ample time developing my exploring skills. Sometimes I think I know London better than my home, New York City. I truly fell in love with London and miss it more than anything! This program gave me the resources to pursue this city while remaining on-track academically.

Perhaps host a trip to Hampstead or Camden. These were my favorite spots in London.
Grace

Semester at the University of Westminster

The University of Westminster is in the heart of London, which was one of my must-haves for studying abroad. I wanted to live in a city that was historic, as centrally located in Europe as possible, had courses at the school in my major, and was close to major transportation. I wanted to be submersed in the city's culture and also have easy access to get around the city, to the countryside, and to nearby countries without a second thought.

The hardest part was adjusting to the different class/teaching style. While we were told ahead time the learning style was going to be different than what we were used to in the States, it is much different be told about it and experiencing it. I think, especially me, were expecting more homework, tests, and assignments to be due. Whereas we didn't have regular homework assignments (or any) and only 2-3 assignments worth most of our grade due for the entire semester. It was a hard adjustment at first, but it made focus more on time management, prioritize my assignments and time, and then led to more time to travel/explore the city.
Courtney

Westminster Abroad

The school was really good. My classes were difficult, but very helpful. Everyone on the staff was extremely nice, and willing to help with everything! They helped with getting you started out, like how to learn the tube, and I also loved how they picked us up at the airport, so that way we didn't have to learn the tube on our own right away, lugging all of our stuff. Student housing was in a great place! It was in central London, so everything was easily accessible, and there were a ton of places to easily go to. Almost everyone in the dorms were exchange students, so it was easy to get to know everyone, and everyone was willing to get to know everyone! The program also organized some fun events, like going to see different plays, like Wicked. This program was honestly one of the best!

The housing conditions were nice, but not great. Maybe fix them up a little bit!
Lindsey

Overview of semester in London

The semester at University of Westminster was awesome. The fact that the university was in the heart of the city was ideal. The living situation was perfect and I loved that the dorms were full of international kids from all over the world and not just from the United States. I lived in Alexander Fleming Hall and I loved that the security was 24/7. There were few struggles seeing as there was no language barrier and there was no reason to ever get bored in London-the city was much bigger than I thought it would be which ended up being a positive.

Nothing.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...