Semester at Wroxton College - The Wroxton Experience

Front Drive
Front Drive
Medieval
Medieval

Since 1965, FDU's campus in England, Wroxton College, has offered carefully designed, integrated study abroad experiences for highly motivated individuals. Known as 'The Wroxton Experience' by those who have shared it, Wroxton College provides all the essentials - and more - in a comprehensive package, enabling you to combine a high-quality academic program with the opportunity to travel and experience new cultures. So, recharge your expectations, broaden your horizons, strive to be extraordinary, and come be a part of the Wroxton Experience.

Did you know that:

• Fairleigh Dickinson University was the first American university to own and operate an international campus?
• More than 2,500 students from more than 150 universities have called Wroxton College home?
• Wroxton was once the family home of Lord North, Prime Minister of Britain during the American Revolution?
• The oldest parts of Wroxton date to the 13th century, when it was a medieval monastery?

• Study with British faculty in British Tutorial System
  • Live in beautiful 17th century stately home in Oxfordshire
  • Experience weekend excursions to Paris, Edinburgh and Cardiff
  • Visit London, Oxford, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Birmingham, Bath and more
  • Enjoy small classes and safe location

Leslie

Best Experience of my Life

Wroxton was the best experience of my life. Coming from a college student who had absolutely no desire to study abroad, I am so glad I pushed myself to go. I made the best friends of my life that I still talk to to this day. It was a good value since I paid the same price as I do a regular semester at my college, which included food, room, all the amazing trips and more. The trips were AMAZING and the staff are AMAZING. Academics are very challenging and it can get stressful during midterm and finals season with numerous assignments due at the same time, but I grew as a student and can now manage much more than I once thought I could. Overall, I grew as an individual and wish i could go back to this day. I HIGHLY recommend studying abroad at Wroxton.

The food was not the best. The cooking staff were also very rude at times and told me to stop talking several times. They are not used to American "bluntness."
Katy

Adult Students are Welcome Here

What I love about historic Wroxton is it continues to be vibrant in its program offerings, appealing well beyond undergraduate college years. See for yourself online the many specialty British liberal arts theme short-course offerings and professional workshops. The British tutors are incredible. The outings to historic destinations, well chosen. Facilities are up-to-date without losing the feel as if you are living royalty. There’s even twice daily teatime! The Cotswold setting is authentic, peaceful and bucolic. The Wroxton Experience is a fairytale come to life. I am among many who “graduated” and then returned with my family and fell in love all over again. It is life-enriching. An experience to be shared with those you know and love. Don’t miss it.

I hope programs continue to offer more British specialties (literature, history, politics, art, etc.) I see whole market appeal for affiliate colleges and universities, and for active older adult learners serious about enriching their life experiences.
Eli

Possibly The Most Important Semester Of My Life

Studying a semester at Wroxton College cemented a lot of things for me: a broader world view on politics, culture, and language; a hopefully lifelong love of travel; the confidence to travel independently; and a totally new perspective on the American academic system. The Wroxton program was one of the reasons I decided to go to Fairleigh Dickinson in the US. Due to the nature of education at Wroxton, where an English staff teach traditionally English structured courses, it ended up being the most difficult and academically demanding - and rewarding - semester of my undergrad. Returning to the USA, the difference in how much I got out of my classes was unbelievable. I’d have studied four years at Wroxton if I could. The English system of lectures and smaller tutorial classes made me a much stronger student, and really challenged me to actually care about the material being studied and form my own opinions; more is expected of you as a student, but more is expected of professors as well, and the opportunity for one on one learning was much greater there than in classes I took stateside. Sometimes the professors might push you far out of your comfort zone; but widening your perspective to figure out how best to work together is part of the challenge. Academics are only one part of Wroxton, however - the other is the invaluable trip schedule that happens every weekend. In 15 weeks we saw more of the United Kingdom than most people who live there see in several years. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday there were trips to museums, sports matches, famous estates and ruins, cities including London, Paris and Edinburgh, and so much more. Almost all of this travel was included in the cost of the program. Halfway through the semester students take a week long travel break to go explore on their own. Thinking about all of that, the balance between academic work and travel is a tough one, but it’s absolutely possible to make it work and come out the other side having had an amazing experience. The third and maybe most important part of Wroxton is the physical abbey and surrounding towns that students - and some faculty - live in. Wroxton abbey is a historical jewel. It’s not often you get to live in a building whose roots are older than the country you arrived from. Every room there is different, and all of them have been recently renovated or are undergoing renovation now. Living at Wroxton is living in a kind of fairy tale. When I say it was completely and utterly unreal, I mean it. The grounds of the abbey stretch for acres and acres into the forests surrounding, with landscaping and a lake left behind by previous tenents. Wroxton the village is as Cotswold as it can be, with a historic churchyard and cemetery, thatched roofs, and village pubs where you can get a hot meal and become a regular with kind and welcoming barkeepers. Due to the rite of passage laws in the UK, anyone can follow footpaths up and down the rolling hills through sheep pastures, over fences and past old monuments and broken structures. Nearby is the bustling city of Banbury, where shuttles take students and visitors every week to go grocery shopping and look around. Just writing this review, I’m realizing again how much of a gift it was to have been able to live there, and how much to this day I still want to return. Even though the United Kingdom is an English speaking country, it is just as foreign as anywhere else, and this program has more value than I can say in words. It will be difficult, it will be a huge challenge, and it will be worth every single minute, from the moment you step off the plane to the moment you return.

Two things.
1. RE: the mid-semester travel break, or even some of the weekend trips. If you’ve never gone urban backpacking or solo-ish traveling before, try and go with an open mind. As long as you keep your wits about you and take precautions like locking your passport in your hotel or hostel and keeping your phone charged, don’t feel tied down by others you’re traveling with to go see stuff or do things you don’t want to. If you feel comfortable, go off on your own and spend some time forming your own experiences and memories. Traveling with friends is an incredible and also precarious thing - you want to still have your friendships intact and not stress each other out on your trip!
2. Along the same lines, Wroxton is a small place. Yes, the building is endless and you will get lost inside, but a full house of students and visitors is still only around 55-60 people. Social situations can get kind of weird when you’re with so few people for so long. Take some time and get out of the abbey and do your own thing, and get others to do the same. Even living in such an amazing place, people need their space - and telling others about whatever solo adventure you’ve done is a better story than the one about how the huge group you went with couldn’t agree which coffee to get and wasted a bunch of time wandering in circles. Take some risks and get out there!
Lyndsey

Absolutely Amazing

Wroxton was the best thing I have ever done. I recommend it to everyone who is given the opportunity. The staff is so nice and willing to go above and beyond in order to make sure the students have the best time ever. Going to Wroxton allowed me to meet some of my lifelong friends, which I will truly be grateful for. Dean Baldwin and Dr. Garrity although they were my only two teachers while I was over there, they were my favorite. Both professor made sure I truly understood everything I was learning. To Ron and Zoe in reception, thank you for always keeping the Abbey safe and being someone I can always come to even when Im in America. Thank you for allowing me to have the best semester yet. Wroxton College will always have a place in my heart.

When studying abroad live with the motto, "You only live once". Do absolutely everything you are given the opportunity to do. You never know the next time you will be going to England, so do not let anything stop you and your decisions.
Kayla

Best decision of my College Career

Wroxton was hands down the Best experience of my time in college. The campus was beyond beautiful and it was a historic 15th Century Abbey which added to the magic of living there. Few study abroad programs offer such unique housing. The educational program there was also challenging but rewarding, and differed from regular American college styles of teaching and curriculum. I was able to form an individual relationship with every staff member due to the small class sizes which was beneficial. And that’s all in addition to the amazing travel, theatre, cultural, and historic opportunities that the program offered in addition to academics. I left Wroxton in 2014 and I still recommend it to people and talk about my experiences today and probably will
continue to do so for the rest of my life. I hope to one day return to Wroxton and visit my home away from home!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would explore the grounds and local village more
Melanie

A Study Abroad Dream Come True

Wroxton College is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live and study in a 17th century Abbey. The professors and staff at Wroxton, truly care about teaching and expanding your knowledge on a variety of subjects. You will become immersed in the United Kingdom's history and culture. The program's courses, weekend trips and tours allow you to experience and learn about England and the United Kingdom first hand. The professors always make themselves available if you have any questions or concerns. The program also allows you to take a ten day travel break. You'll truly enjoy the meals and the morning and afternoon tea times as well! If you are considering to attend a study abroad program, I urge you to attend Wroxton College! You will not be sorry!

Rachel

Best experience of my life!

My time in Wroxton has proven to be the best experience of my life! Close to 4 months of exploring the UK and Europe has been a world changing experience. When you first arrive at Wroxton, a small community surrounds the college where everyone knows each other and everyone feels safe. The large ancient abbey was an amazing place to live in! The group of people I went over there with (around 45 people) became some of my closest friends. We essentially became a family. The teachers at the school actually felt like they cared for our studies and wanted us to learn and expand our minds. Every few weeks we would go on big trips to either London, Paris, Edinburgh, wales and whatever spring break we planned! I went to Ireland with my best friend and roommate. Each new place we travelled we had around 3 days to explore and boy did we explore! I was always exhausted from our trips but they were always worth it! Even normal day to day going around the Abbey or exploring the local town of Banbury was always a fun time. If you are debating on studying abroad, don't. Just do it. It will change your life forever!

If you are travelling to Wroxton college anytime soon, please remember a few things. 1. You should always be exploring! Whether its exploring locally or exploring while you're traveling to other countries. Try and see as much as you can. Before you know it you'll be back home! 2. Try new things! Now is the time to try stuff you wouldnt normally do. There are tons of new experiences around you so do them while you can! And finally 3. Just have fun! Some people were too embarrassed or intimidated by being with new people for a few months. The thing is, those people are feeling the same way. That group of 45 people I went across the pond with knew me better than some of my best friends by the end of the trip. Enjoy yourself and dont forget to take tons of pictures!
Cassi

The Most Amazing Experience!

I had the best time at Wroxton and I am so thankful that I was able to go for an entire semester. From the minute that the bus pulled up to the Wroxton Abbey, it was clear that my time in Wroxton was going to be an amazing experience. The semester experience includes "smaller" trips every weekend (London, Stonehenge, Kenilworth Castle, Brighton, Bath, Cardiff and MORE) as well as larger trips to Scotland and France for no extra cost. There is also a 10 day "travel break" (along with countless weekends) for additional travel. I was able to see Ireland, Italy, Spain, and Wales on my free time! The classes and professors are amazing. I still can't believe that I spent an entire semester living in the Abbey! The Wroxton Experience is life changing.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I got to run a half marathon in Pembrokshire, Wales!
Read my full story
Regis

The time of your life

The “Wroxton experience”was the best time of my life.

See the video of the Abbey and the grounds. As a student there, the place is yours; like living in a museum or Downton Abbey.

The small classes or “tutorials” were just right for learning and the weekend trips all around the UK were great fun. I really understand England now.

Stratford and Oxford are only 30 minutes away. Actors from the Royal Shakespeare Company come to the Abbey to sit and chat with you. My class sat with Oscar-winner Ben Kingsley.

While we spent several weekends in London, there were so many other places around the UK that were actually more interesting and fun to visit.

And, before or after your semester at Wroxton, you can tour through Europe.

The best part of the whole Wroxton experience was the outstanding, life-long friendships I made there.

If you get the chance, don’t miss it.

Honestly, nothing.
As I wrote above, it was the best experience of my life.
Dylan

Wroxton Experience

Wroxton College was not only the most fun and eye-opening experience, I grew as a person more than I ever thought I could/would. I would suggest it to literally anyone. It sounds so cliche but you may find way more there than what you would think. Being away from home for so long was tough, but the homesickness was overshadowed by the insane sights and experiences. The courses are rigorous but the professors want you to succeed and won't allow you to fail. The professors believe in every single one of us and it shows because a lot of people do their best work when they weren't sure they could. Overall, the Wroxton experience is incredible and anyone, literally ANYONE, would be more than lucky to go over there and get a magnificent taste of culture.

My gfs cousin was left stranded on the street at 3am because they wouldn't let him stay due to my gf not giving 24 hours notice. People should be kept safe, regardless of a rule having been not followed, that can be dealt with later.
Madison

Living In a Wow Factor

This was my first time studying abroad, and I was extremely nervous. However, I truly have no regrets. It was such an incredible learning experience. You get the chance to absorb different values and ideas, from a team of faculty that wants only to help expand your reasoning. But beyond that you are given the opportunity to travel. Each destination they bring you to is more breathtaking than the last. However, to me, nothing had a bigger wow factor than that Wroxton manor! It’s a once in a life time experience to live in such a beautiful and historic manor. You will find yourself surprised each morning waking up there, and remembering it is an actual college. Absorb every moment you live there, because it truly goes by quickly! Given the chance I would not hesitate to go back!!

Emily

The Wroxton Experience

My decision to study abroad at Wroxton College is by far the decision I have ever made. It allowed me to do, see, and learn so much more then I could even begin to imagine. It made me grow life long friends, allowed me to experience places I’ve never been, and introduced me to some of the best professors I’ve ever had. If I could do it all over, I would go back in an instant.
The academics are wonderful and the professors get you thinking outside your comfort zone. The tutorial style encourages you to have discussions with your professors and peers in more personal and in depth ways. Wroxton really helps you broaden your way of looking at life as well as teaches you about English history (whether that be through art, literature, the media, etc) and engulfs you in British culture.
Wroxton will forever be a part of my life and I will always look back on it fondly. Anyone, myself included, who has gone through this study abroad program would say the same—the Wroxton Experience is like nothing else, you have to go through it in order to understand its magic.

Possibly having more food options for people with dietary restrictions (although I know that the school attempts to be as accommodating as possible)
Christina

Spring 2019

My semester abroad was the best experience of my life. I was able to stay in a beautiful building while I took classes with professors who truly cared to see me learn and grow. Everybody I came in contact with was so nice and friendly, and the students I travelled with became sort of a family to me. I visited so many different places and countries, and gained so many experiences as I travelled both with my school and alone with my friends. This was the opportunity of a lifetime, and I would do anything to live it all over again. Wroxton College truly made Spring 2019 the best semester of my college career. This school took us on trips to the two countries of France and Scotland, as well as offered many other day trips to London and other parts of England.

Do everything!! Take advantage of every opportunity given to you and do as much as possible within your limited amount of time there. Learn as much as you can about the area and people around you and appreciate every minute of the experience.
Nick

Best Semester of my Life

This was easily some of the best few months I’ve ever experienced. I got to learn from a new perspective, think critically, travel, laugh, and share the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had with some of the best people I have ever met. The staff is beyond kind and caring. The professors were some of the smartest people I’ve ever met. It was such an intimate couple of months. I learned about life, myself, other people, and the world. I learned about different history and culture. I learned how to be independent and travel alone. If you have the opportunity to study abroad at Wroxton College in the UK, take advantage and DO IT because you will definitely not regret it. I built a strong moral ground for myself, as well as life long friendships that have changed my life forever.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could do something differently, I would have taken out loans to do a little bit more while I was out there. It was worth every penny and I wish I had more to be able to do more things.
Zachary

It's what you make of it

Wroxton is like life, it's entirely what you make of it. If you want to have a good experience and embrace the program, you will. My favorite memories are the times I took things into my own hands and went on solo trips on the weekend. I wish the program would've of had more students and would have been closer to London. However, living in the Abbey was definitely a once in a life time experience and super cool. The school work is extremely hard compared to the work in the states, but most of the teachers were super helpful as long as you showed them that you wanted to learn. I learned a lot of life lessons during my time abroad, and I didn't necessarily learn them until I got home. If I knew then, what I knew now...

Take advantage of every weekend. It is SO easy to get cooped up during the week with school work and living in the Abbey which is EXTREMELY FAR, from everything else. Go places on the weekend and take it into your own hands. Don't be afraid to travel and book a flight, your only in Europe for 4 months.
Read my full story