CEA Study Abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France

CEA Study Abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France

Located just 19 miles north of Marseille, the country’s second-largest city and primary commercial port, Aix-en-Provence is a small, walkable city in the south of France with tree-lined boulevards, historical public squares, artisanal shops, cafés, churches, historic mansions, and over 20 fountains that reflect the city’s origin as Roman spa town. It is an ideal location for day trips to the Mediterranean coast, the French Alps, and Paris.

Our Aix program is designed for students at a high-intermediate or above French language proficiency. Although courses are offered in English and French, four semesters of French are required; intermediate students are accepted on a case-by-case basis.

Interested? Click the “Visit Site” button to learn what’s waiting for you!

• Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Personalized Pre-Departure Advising, including visa and immigration support
  • Courses offered in English that fulfill major and general graduation requirements
  • Comprehensive on-site support, including 24/7 emergency phone
Theater, Drama and Dance
Visual Arts
High School Diploma
J-Term
Included: Personalized Pre-departure Advising; Tuition & Registration; Travel Medical Insurance; On-site Orientation; Housing; Volunteer Opportunities; On-site Staff Support; Excursions and Cultural Engagement; Host Institution Services & Amenities and more. Scholarships available.

Sarah
University of Pittsburgh

CEA Let Me Live My Best Life In France!

Studying abroad in France is about more than baguettes. Baguettes do play a large role, but the real goodness of it all lies in the people and places you meet. I went to Aix-en-Provence, France with CEA from January-April 2017, and not a day goes by when I don't think about it. Aix was the perfect city for me -- it's teeming with cafés, shops, and picturesque winding streets, without having the feel of a gridded city with huge looming buildings. I’m so thankful to have been apart of CEA’s Aix program versus going on my own, because every staff person met or talked to genuinely wanted to be as helpful to me as possible. Whether I was freaking out over pre-departure documents, had questions about my classes or anything else, CEA was quick to respond and worked with me so that I didn’t have to figure things out on my own. While in France, my onsite directors Nancy and Vivienne were the best. I can’t imagine two people more perfect for their role. They had local activities planned for us every week, as well as frequent tea times in the CEA office where we could have tea and our favorite madeleine cakes. I can honestly say that studying abroad was the best four months of my life, and CEA made it so that I could most fully enjoy my time. I would go back in a heartbeat!

I loved the program but if I could change something, it would be better communication with the school. This isn’t necessarily CEA’s problem, but it would have improved the experience to not have roundabout ways of working with the school to change class placements and whatnot.

Shannon
Dayton, OH
University of Dayton

Oui, I would like another croissant

Over spring 2017, I studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France through CEA. They were absolutely amazing and surpassed my expectations in every way. From pre-departure paperwork and preparation, to picking us up at the airport, to showing us around town, to helping us through any issue during the entire semester, to helping us adjust back at home, CEA was phenomenal. They had an incredibly kind staff and Vivienne and Nancy in Aix were outstanding. When they moved us into our apartments, they had pasta, cookies and fruit already set out for us to have. How nice is that?! Throughout the semester, their doors were always open in case we wanted to talk to them about anything. Also, they planned excursions, cheese tastings and a ton of other fun activities for us all of the time. France was an absolute dream, but it would not have been possible without the help of CEA.

Jennie
5 months old
Knoxville, tn
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Go to Aix!

As someone who studied abroad in both Paris and Aix, Aix is hands down the place you want to be! It's sunny every day and totally walkable with so much charm. Without CEA my semester would've been 10 times less exciting. They make sure there are so many opportunities to meet people and provide super fun activities like wine tasting, oil painting Mont Sainte Victoire, and cool excursions to places off the beaten track. I feel like Aix also attracts a certain kind of personality- laid-back and up for anything or traveling anywhere, so I got along really well with everyone in my program!

Aix is so easy to travel from; we went somewhere almost every weekend! Nightlife is great because you don't have to worry about catching the subway or bus back because everything is within walking distance. Go to the farmer's market every chance you get! I miss it so much. Honestly, the only thing I liked better in Paris was the food selection. If you want sunny, warm weather, friendly locals, and easy travel - go to Aix!

Please don't change!

Brooke
woodbury

A beautiful Aix Expierence

My stay in Aix was a beautiful experience. Aix is somewhat of a "college town" or rather there's many french/international students studying in that area. This was great because it allowed me to make french friends and international friends. Also Aix is the perfect location for visiting all around the South of France. Literally one of the most beautiful areas! I visited the alps, I visited islands, I visited mountain villages, and sea side villages. There's everything here that you could ever imagine. Aix is a cute little town but if your into that big city life marseille is just a 30 minute bus ride and the second largest city in France.

This program is pretty spectacular. If I had to improve it I would do more activities with the French students.

Caro
Cleveland, OH
Ohio State University

The Month that I Swear was Only a Week

Tomorrow, I'm flying back to the US after spending 5 weeks in Aix-en-Provence, France. I could say so much about this program, but all I can say is that if you are considering it, go for it! I learned so much about different cultures and languages here--not just French! The city itself is exactly what you would expect out of a wealthier Southern France city but the school itself is really a huge mix of backgrounds and ethnicities! My favorite area is hands down the city center where you can see anything from African drummers during the Euro Cup to people playing the accordion while a reenactment of part of the French Revolution is happening in the same square (I saw both of these things in the same day, by the way).

Jiselle
Davenport, Ia

The BEST Decision of my Life

Aix is special for so many reasons, and it doesn't take much for one to understand why once they visit the town. The people, the scenery, the nightlife and the just everything in general make Aix the perfect destination for a college student while studying abroad. I was supposed to go to Paris, but switched last minute after the attacks last November. I had no idea what to expect, and was slightly bummed I couldn't go to Paris. However, it was clear during my first day in Aix that this is where I was meant to be the whole time. I instantly fell in love with the town, the people in my program and the wonderful directors who go above and beyond to make the students feel welcomed and important. I was able to meet many wonderful French students and actually speak French. I'm already planning my next trip back very soon. Because the town is smaller, the amount of people that speak English is much smaller than in a big city like Paris. So, I was forced to use my French and grew tremendously in my language skills. I also love the fact that you can walk anywhere in Aix and enjoy the beautiful weather by doing so. (It never gets really cold, which I enjoy because I'm from the Midwest.) There is also a wonderful bus system for a very small fare that can take you anywhere in the region (that means the beach!). Aix was the best, accidental, decision I have ever made, and I am very grateful for it.

Masatoki
Bellevue, Washington
Western Washington University

Widening the Circle

The best thing about studying abroad is that academically, we can easily apply what we learned in class and we get immediate feedbacks on whether we applied our knowledge right or wrong. And socially, we build confidence. I even started a conversation with a lost stranger who ended up taking me to a dinner, all in French! I also checked hitchhiking off my bucket list and got to travel around so much more than I could have ever imagined. Now I have so many friends all over Europe that I could always come back to!

I definitely think it is important to have a few days together with a lot of the french university students at the beginning of the semester. Having this every semester would definitely make a difference in opening up a community of french speakers.

Hannah
Denver, Colorado
Colorado State University

Aix-perience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad with CEA in Aix-en-Provence, France, was the most incredible opportunity and I would give anything to do it all over again. From the moment I stepped off the plane and was greeted by CEA staff who kindly directed me to my homestay and made sure that I made it there safely, I knew that I had picked the perfect program to study with. There were so many opportunities for the students to connect and travel together, with weekly excursions and cafe hours, not to mention other meals and wine and cheese tastings, all put on and organized by the directors. They never hesitated to check in with the students and help when in need, and I don't think my experience would have been the same without them. I never felt scared or worried while abroad, which was something I heavily anticipated upon moving to a new and foreign city.

CEA is hands down the most welcoming, engaging, helpful and friendly (I could go on for hours) program, and I would recommend them to EVERY student studying abroad. Thank you so much for making this semester the best 4 months of my life, I will miss my directors and the city dearly.

À la prochaine!

Beats me!

Matthew
Davenport

Support and fun

Towards the end of my semester, I really wanted to go to the Camargues. By expressing this wish to Vivienne, one of the coordinators, I got my wish. Not only did she help me figure out which bus to use, she also talked to one of her former students who lived and worked in the area and got us a free wildlife tour. My friends and I had so much fun, and none of it would be possible if it weren't for the great work of our coordinators.

Virginia
Columbia, SC

Favorite 3 Months of My Life

I was skeptical at first, when I decided to study abroad because I had never been out of the country before, or away from my friends and family for that long. However, the CEA Aix-en-Provence staff quickly made me feel at home, helping me with any questions I had. All the event they had planned, fit in perfectly, and helped me get to know my fellow classmates as well as the city itself. I learned so much and experienced so many new things in this short amount of time abroad, and it would not have been possible without the help of CEA Aix-en-Provence. I went places and met people that I will never forget. I cannot wait to return one day

I thought it was perfect

Nick
Riverview

Wonderful

Everything about Aix was amazing. Aix is smaller in comparison to other French cities, but we never ran out of things to do. Our program directors, Nancy and Vivienne, were amazing and did everything they could to make sure we had a great time. The entire CEA program bonded really well, we made a lot of lifelong friends :). The excursions we went on through CEA had a lot of variety, from going to Mont Saint Victoire or visiting vineyards. It was a wonderful Aix-perience.

Leticia
Georgetown
Stephen F. Austin State University

Great AIXperience

I would love to start off by saying Aix-en-Provence is a beautiful town in the South of France. It is not to big to get lost, but also not to small to get bored. There are many things to do in this town, but if that is not enough you can get on the Cart Treize bus and see the beautiful city of Marseille. There is so much rich history for all Provence area, and people are really nice. The program directors in Aix were also amazing. I loved them so much, and they are always on top of their things especially when it comes to the safety of the students in the program. I would recommend everyone to at least visit this town!

Paris
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
University of Oklahoma

The best excursions!

CEA gave us a ton of cool excursion options but my favorite by far was when we went to Nice and Monte Carlo! In Nice we were able to walk around and explore the city on our own, looking in all the shops and even hiking to the beautiful chateau, and then CEA got us tickets to the Bataille des Fleurs for Carnaval. This was probably the coolest thing I did the whole semester, it was a huge parade where everyone kept handing you gorgeous flowers! Then we went to Monte Carlo and got dressed up for a delicious dinner and hung out at the casino and other cool places! The next day we had free time to see all the sites of Monte Carlo! This trip was so much fun and I'm so glad CEA planned it for us!

I think it was perfect!

Megan
Elgin, South Carolina
Winthrop University

Aixcellent!

Studying abroad with CEA in Aix en Provence was the best decision I ever made! Leaving your home for 3 months to a year can be scary but the CEA staff and the friends you make really do become your family. I love Vivienne and Nancy; they are amazing and super helpful if you ever need to make a doctor's appointment or even just a haircut. I have made lifelong memories and friends through my experience with CEA and I cannot recommend this program enough!

Makenzie
Lincoln, Nebraska
University of Nebraska- Lincoln

Overexposed Dream

This program changed my life.
The courses were extremely rewarding. I took a photography class and a global fashion marketing class. The photography class was incredible. My professor tailored the class based on what kind of camera each student had. She taught us how to use OUR cameras, instead of using blanket terms for everyone. I would also say that the class had a philosophy of photography component to it. We talked not only about photographers, but about why. The global fashion marketing class was also extremely rewarding. We did an in depth market analysis of a french brand. My was Sézane, and I challenged myself more than I ever have before to get to know that company, who they were trying to reach, their product lines, and the overall aesthetic.
The city was also incredible. The architecture was so intricate it was paralyzing. I often found myself unable to walk because I was so immersed in the beauty surrounding me. The weather was perfection. The people in the community were very kind, and I always felt safe walking around the city alone. I highly recommend spending time at CocoBoheme, or any other small local shop you find. I made some lasting friendships with some french students there. Make international friends.
When you go on incursions, or explore your own city, think like a tourist, but act like a local. Learn everything you can about the history, any story about a building. Do the touristy things, but once you do spend 2 hours at a cafe soaking the beauty in around you. Struggle to speak the language, listen for the Aixoise accent. Try to seem like a local.
You get out what you put in. This program gives you the resources you need to have the greatest summer of your life, I have left you some tips on how to make your AIXperience as great as possible, now it is up to you to take the risk. You will love every second, I promise.

I made local friends by going out of my comfort zone and making conversation with locals. It would be nice if the school offered a social, or some other activity, for students to meet other local students.

Lue
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Minnesota- Duluth

Love in Aix!!

Life time opportunity. A must do and must have experience. From north Minneapolis to the southern part of France, one must experience it. I would recommend making friends with other international student and share contacts. Regret not sharing contact sooner. Made lifetime friends and will one day visit them. Would make the recommendation to all friends and family. CEA did a fantastic job. Love, love, love and miss the staff from Aix en Provence.

Nothing. Keep the staff..!!

Wesley
Columbia, SC

AIX IS THE GREATEST

So many people only know of big towns in european countries like Paris or London or Milan. The same was true of me in the beginning of my search for a study abroad program. But after randomly choosing Aix because the classes coincided with ones that would transfer back to my university, I am beyond happy that I didn't choose a big city. During my travels I have gone to cities like London and Paris and it was so overwhelming. I felt like the people were meaner, the food was more expensive, and my feet hurt more from walking. In Aix, I can walk from on side of centre-ville to the other in 20 minutes. If I struggle with French, people actually help me. And the food, well it's some of the best that I've had in my whole life. I'm so glad I chose Aix because when I return to my home-stay after a weekend excursion or day trip, it truly does feel like a home.

I love the program and Nancy and Vivienne because they have been so helpful throughout this entire process. But I guess if I had to change one thing it'd be the language in which we speak. At the beginning, when I didn't really know french, it was very helpful to speak in English. But now, I can hold a conversation, and obviously not all the time, but sometimes it'd be nice to just listen and have to respond to french commands and questions.

Sara
Tulsa, Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma

Once in a lifetime experience

I had the time of my life in Aix-en-Provence. I had the best host family and they were so generous to me. It was so nice to have support from our Program Director and staff, making friends from all over the U.S., and traveling together to Nice, Monte Carlo, etc.

I loved walking on Cours Mirabeau, going to bakeries, eating Pizza Capri, watching movies, and traveling to other cities and countries.
The food in France is so good and I was lucky to have the best host family and have home cooked meals.
I feel incredibly fortunate to have studied abroad and I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything.

Allison
Las Vegas, Nevada
University of Alabama- Birmingham

Best Place to Immerse Yourself in French Language & Culture

When I studied in Aix in 2010, it was my first trip to Francd EVER. I had considered Paris, but I really wanted to become more fluent in French, so I chose a smaller city with fewer English speakers. I was not disappointed. Plus my teacher, Monsieur Tissot, was fantastic at improving our language skills in a fun, engaging way. At the same time, Vivienne and her staff were there to help when we needed it--my roommate and I blew a fuse in our apartment at 10pm one night, and they were there to help in less than an hour. Most importantly, the people I met in the program have become my lifelong friends. We have attended each other's weddings and visited each other all over the United States. The stories we tell about our time in Aix never get old. Choose Aix if you are looking for everything there is to love about French culture without the stress of big-city life! You will NOT regret it!

I really can't think of anything I would improve about CEA Aix. I have zero negative memories of this experience.

Michelle
Dayton,OH
University of Dayton

Aix-cellent!

Aix-en-Provence was an truly an amazing experience, and CEA was a large part in making it so memorable. I took part in the French Immersion program in the Summer of 2015 and through it I came to know the beauty of the French culture and people. Aix-en-Provence is the most picturesque town and for a few months you arguably live in a postcard. What is great about living in Aix is that it is the perfect size and you are able to become familiar with the town and form relationships with locals. All the excursions were great, I highly recommend them (you might not always know where you are going but trust George).I recommend Aix because it has so many things to offer and Vivienne and Nancy are very helpful and always know the best places to visit! I recommend Aix to anyone who wants to be able to immerse themselves in a culture, and explore the South of France. Honestly the best part about Aix is that at the end of the day you get gelato and sit by a fountain for hours...so it really is Aix-cellent.

Joe
Aracatuba, Sao Paulo Brazil
Norwich University

Fall semester - Aix en Provence

I really loved this study abroad program. Especially when I arrived and received an incredible amount of help and advice from Vivienne, the program director. I made tons of new friends there that I still talk to this day. One thing about being there for the Fall semester I really enjoyed were the activities leading up to Christmas and New Years. With the other students, I was able to try vin chaud for the first time and feel the mistral during walks through the city. The area is bound with ancient history that we could learn about when we visited Avignon and Arles as part of excursions. The location of Aix in the South of France meant that slightly longer than weekend trips were doable to Italy, Monaco, and Spain. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could in order to do things I wasn't able to do when I was there.

I'm not sure.

Darby
Atlanta, GA

Loved it!

I loved my stay in Aix-en-Provence. Vivienne was wonderful, and I only wished I had stayed longer! Great people, great education, and the most beautiful place on earth. I was ok in french when I got there, but definately still a beginner. I improved tremendously... the people in Aix gladly let you practice your French with them. The nightlife was a lot of fun as well, and I loved the people who went with me, of which I knew nobody before going!

That I could have stayed longer!

Kendra
Phildelphia. PA
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

Go to Aix!

Aix was the most amazing city to study abroad in. You had plenty of people that don't know English, which is perfect for learning French. People are extremely accepting of foreigners in Aix, which separates it a lot from the atmosphere in Paris. Vivienne was the most amazing CEA staff member. She was always there to help us though any situation, from housing to travel plans, to planning our excursions. You will not regret choosing Aix!

I don't know. It was an excellent program.

B.
Macedonia
Union University

Chez Lolo

Have you ever eaten lunch in a cave house that is 100s of years old? I did. Our CEA director Vivienne was amazing at finding unique day trips for us and one of them was to visit Lolo. He is the last of a long line of farmers and lives in a beautiful cave farmhouse where he still prepares farm fresh meals for groups. He is the sweetest old man and his house is amazing to see! If you take a walk around the house and the yard you can see old farming equipment stashed away or simply left out in the elements. Lolo prepared a lovely French lunch for us all while we enjoyed the picturesque view and the Provence sunshine.

I wished that my host family would only speak to me in French.

Brooke
Pittsburgh, PA
Indiana University of Pennsylvania

The Only Place to Study Abroad in France

While I was in Aix, I turned 21, which is a huge staple in the US. I wasn't going to be able to celebrate with anyone from home. Another girl who became one of my close friends shared a birthday with me, as well. Mama Viv arranged for us to have a nice dinner at Cafe Carrefour with our friends. Everyone sang to us (including the wait staff). Afterwards, we danced around in the cafe and had a fabulous time. It was one of my favorite birthdays, and it was truly unforgettable!

A better tour of the city upon arrival. I still feel like there was so much of Aix that I never knew existed until I left!

Anne
New York, NY
Western Washington University

Supportive staff

I had only been in France about a week when I got news that my grandpa and one of my cousins had been killed in a car accident back home and that my grandma and aunt and uncle were all in intensive care in the hospital because of the accident. That was on a Sunday that I found out. On Monday morning, I went to the CEA office and let them know what had happened. Although they could probably barely understand me through my tears, they were there for me, which was what I needed at the time. They were so supportive. Once I made it through that initial shock, they continued to make sure that I was doing ok throughout my semester there. It was one of the hardest times in my life, and I couldn't have asked for better people to help me through.

Maybe if there was a rule that English be spoken as little as possible so that everyone is forced to work on their French.

Response from CEA Study Abroad

Thank you for the kind feedback regarding your experience with the Aix-en-Provence staff! We’re sorry to hear about your loss, and glad to hear the CEA team members were supportive during this difficult time for you and your family.

Lindsay
Virginia
Emory & Henry College

Life changing program

This program changed my life. Everything from the academics at the University to the excursions that we had on the weekends. I had such an authentic awesome semester in Aix. The scenery couldn't have been more amazing. Our apartment was everything that a college student could need. The women in the office were always helpful. I really enjoyed hanging out there, borrowing books, asking questions, and getting advice. The city is such a fun atmosphere as well because there are so many young people in the area. It is so different from Paris and so uniquely French. I wish that I could do this all over again and if I could I would have done a year and set of a semester. In order to become 100% immersed in the program it is really importan I wish that I could do this all over again and if I could I would have done a year and set of a semester.

Our apartment was broken into at one point and our laptops were stolen. students should be aware that any city in any country is subject to being unsafe!

Stacy
Seattle,wa

The best experience

I went to Aix 7 years ago for a year long study abroad. It was the best experience of my life. I loved the support there. The weekend and day trips were so much fun, and there were also plenty of classes, wine tasting, chocolate tasting etc to choose to do as well. The school program was great and I learned more French with in a month in Aix then I did with 5 years of French language in the U.S. If you're thinking about going to France choose Aix!

Peter
South Orange, New Jersey
Seton Hall University

Spring 2015

I went to Aix in the Spring of 2015 and loved it so much! The staff was very helpful and the school I went to was a great place to learn while away from my home university. The housing was incredible! I was in an apartment with another person from CEA. One of the best parts about this program was the comradery formed between the other CEA Aix students and myself. I've definitely found friends for life! The location could not be more perfect. I was in Aix in January and the lowest it got was 32 degrees at night, never snowed, and hardly rained. The sun was shining and it was warm almost the whole time, something very different from the winters and springs in the Northeast.

Satchel
Santa Barbara, California
University of California- Santa Barbara

A Program Sweeter Than A Pain au Chocolat

I think it would be hard to go to Aix and not like it, but Vivienne, Nancy, and the CEA program helped me love every day of my time in France. I'm sure that they've had so many students come through their program over the years, but they did an incredible job of establishing a personal connection with every student, and their amazing kindness and support went a long way towards really helping me feel at home in Aix. Not only were they super helpful with ideas, details, and logistics for great adventures, but they were totally committed to doing their best to help during tougher times. I had my wallet stolen, and without their support I would have had a really tough time getting everything figured out. Instead, Vivienne spent much of her Sunday working to help me out, and I was quickly back on my feet. I would use kind and committed to sum Vivienne and Nancy up in two words, and they become just as much of a major part of my fondness for France as croissants and rosé.

With 20 destinations across 11 countries, CEA Study Abroad offers an ideal balance of academics, internships, and adventure to more than 4,000 students each year. Find out where learning abroad can take you by clicking the “Visit Site” button and exploring our many options.

Why