CISabroad - Study Abroad in Limerick, Ireland

CISabroad - Study Abroad in Limerick, Ireland

We always have promotions running to save you money. Visit our website for more information.

Study at the University of Limerick with CISabroad! The progressive academic environment of the university offers unique courses geared to almost all courses of study. Whether you spend your days picnicking on the Shannon River, learning to play the fiddle, or traveling to see the various castles and monuments around town, you are sure to experience life as a true Irish while studying in Limerick!

Even learn the game of rugby! The traditional sports game garners its own classes, clubs, and events.
The country's small size will give you the opportunity to travel much of Ireland, a destination known for its quaint and quirky style, friendly population, and wondrous landscapes.

Europe » Ireland » Limerick
Europe » Ireland
Cultural Studies
Limerick

Sophie
Valparaiso University

Loving Limerick

I didn't know how much I needed to go to Limerick until I got there. Originally, I had thought that I wanted to study abroad in England, but I changed my mind because this program sounded better than the one my school offered in England. I am so happy that I changed my program and studied with CISAbroad at the University of Limerick. UL is the perfect size, and there are so many student organizations that you can join, it's so easy to feel involved on campus! I got to live with students from all over Europe, take classes with Irish and International students, and explore Ireland. CISAbroad was attentive and helped me adjust to Ireland, and I always had someone to ask questions to when I needed help. I would absolutely recomend studying through CISAbroad at Limerick!

Britt
Elkhart, Indiana
Valparaiso University

Semester in Limerick

While Limerick wasn't actually my first choice of places to study abroad, it ended up being absolutely perfect for me. The school was incredibly inclusive of study abroad students and instantly made me feel at home there. The city center wasn't far from where I was living on campus. There were several times when I would have a free day, that I would head into the city and just explore what was there. It was a small enough city that I never felt overwhelmed or lost, but it was big enough that I always found something new. I always felt safe and comfortable there. The people are also incredibly friendly, random strangers would start conversations with me, often just to see how my day was going. I can't wait to go back!

While we were able to travel as a group about once a month, I wish we had more opportunities to explore the country together as a program. John Hayes was always an extraordinary tour guide for us and had so much history and fun stories to share with us everywhere we went!

Lindsay
Elizabethtown, PA
Elizabethtown College

The Friendliest People You'll Ever Meet

I'm sure you've heard this about Ireland's people before, but I'm going to tell you anyway: they are the sweetest, most nurturing, humble people. I had a great experience traveling with CIS. We had an on-site coordinator, John, who made sure we were acclimating well and gave us the inside scoop about places we visited. John also brought me groceries when I became too sick to leave my apartment. That leads me into my next point...I paid an overnight visit to the Limerick Hospital, where I was, again, treated so very kindly. All of the other patients in the ER kept referring to me as "pet" (a sweet term of endearment for someone younger) and had doctors that truly wanted to make me more comfortable.

I didn't end up in the hospital until later in the semester so I had a good three months of fun. I was placed in an apartment with one other American student and three Irish students--a perfect mix. We all had our own rooms and I lucked out with a giant handicapped accessible room complete with a bathroom bigger than my room at home! It made being away from home much easier because I was so comfortable. This made me ready to explore the city I was ready to call my home for four months.

From touring Limerick's milk market, river trails, and King John's castle, there was always something to do on the weekends or after class. In the evenings, Icon night club and Smyth's bar were good options for an exciting night out. For a more relaxing atmosphere, I always chose Curragower's, where the beer and cider choices were unique and the food fantastic.

When I wasn't trying new beer or exploring, I enjoyed my journalism, gothic literature, and Irish folklore classes. Professors are very intrigued with their subject matter and never give a dull lecture. The set up of lectures and tutorials allowed students to have more one-on-one time with professors and get to know fellow students better.

If you're looking for a smaller city with tons to do and an amazing university, go to Limerick. It's a hidden gem in Ireland, among all of the more touristy, well-known spots like Dublin. However, places like Dublin, Galway, and Kilkenny are only a short bus drive away on Paddywagon tours. PLEASE choose a semester in Limerick! You won't regret it.

Katrina
Grand Rapids Michigan
DePauw University

What's the craic?

I loved my experience abroad in Limerick Ireland. I lived in an apartment with other irish students which made it easy to meet people and learn the irish culture. I was also able to get involved at Limerick by joining a boarding club, which allowed me to go surfing in Lahinch and meet other international students and irish students. The university always had great activities planned for students. I was able to learn irish dancing, drink and listen to local bands, go to a foam party, celebrate Arthur's Day with the whole campus, and drink at the local bars. I also really loved the classes I took at Limerick. I took advanced marketing and we were able to create our own advertising campaigns which was very fun. Lastly, there was always awesome trips you could go on through the school. I was able to travel to Dublin and the Cliffs of Mohair at a very affordable price with my friends. I really couldn't have asked for a better program and place to travel abroad to. The irish are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and you won't regret choosing Limerick as your abroad destination

I really don't think there could be many ways to improve the program.

Moorhead, Minnesota
Concordia College- Moorhead

Go!

In all honesty, my experience was so wonderful I don't even know how to put it in words. It was without a doubt the greatest experience of my life.
If you ever have the opportunity, don't even hesitate, go! Going to Ireland was absolutely life changing for me. I had the opportunity to travel throughout the country and it was more gorgeous than I had imagined. Going out in the wold by myself helped me to discover more about myself, become more outgoing and develop new friendships.
Everyone in Ireland is extremely friendly and fascinated by Americans. Take the time to chat with them, you will learn more about the country, what to see and what to do.
If you're contemplating whether or not to go to Ireland, go. Don't even question it.

Kacie
Fork Union, Virginia
University of Limerick

Adjusting

I had never lived in an apartment before, so adjusting to 5 new roommates instead of one was different.
Also, the walk from Thomond to most of my classes took some time to get used to. I'm convinced anyone who goes here will come back with a nice set of legs, because you'll be running to class if you leave too late.
However, the student life and community feeling is amazing. Every Friday it feels as though your whole abroad family is waiting for you out at one of the pubs and you all enjoy your company for the night.
Along with organized International Nights, the abroad team at Limerick was absolutely accommodating for any occasion and was very enthusiastic about getting students out from the University and around Ireland (there were trips for us every weekend to go on if we wanted!)
Overall, this was the most amazing experience of my life.

Honestly, I don't believe there's much else for CIS to do. I felt prepared before I left, and any uneasiness or uncertainty came from my own nervousness. Katie and Kelli were AMAZING in ANY question or help I needed and there's nothing to criticize about either of them or the program :)

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience. Experiences are innovative and focused on cultural immersion.

All of the