SIT Social Work Programs: Across the Globe

SIT Social Work Programs: Across the Globe

SIT offers a variety of programs specializing in the subject of social work including:

South America » Argentina

Kayleigh
Hamilton, NY
Colgate University

Review of SIT South Africa: Community Health and Social Policy

I had an amazing experience with SIT. The program did an amazing job assimilating us into the culture, making us feel safe, and providing us with a wide variety of educational opportunities. The 6 week home stay allowed me to connect with a Zulu family and they made me feel like part of the community. The independent study period allowed me to intern with an environmental NGO where I gained valuable skills. I also made lifelong friends along the way!

Emma
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Denison University

Through New Eyes: Cultural Beauty and Global Issues in Bolivia

My semester in Bolivia challenged me to grapple with important and complicated questions about identity and global crises while allowing me to explore an incredibly beautiful and unique part of the world. The academic program thoughtfully integrates many themes about Bolivia including political history, indigenous rights, social change, climate change, globalization through guest lecturers from the community and lots of hands-on learning experiences. The group excursions bring incredible diversity and adventure to the semester, including visiting and living with a community in the Amazon basin, engaging in the daily activities of Aymara families on the shores of Lago Titicaca, visiting the mines of Potosi which provided Spain with nearly half the silver they took during the conquest, and learning about sustainable living in the lowlands. I gained confidence in my ability to speak another language and navigate an unfamiliar place by myself. During all of the beautiful and challenging adventures, my host family was my grounding force, always taking care of me and teaching me. I truly became part of their family and my bond with them has been one of the most meaningful experiences of my life. This program provides an opportunity to dive deep into a really unique and complex country in a way that I would never have been able to do without the connections and support of SIT. The experience is a whirlwind of emotions and adventures. It is filled with beautiful places, people, and languages. There is no one way to describe it-- every week brings new and exciting experiences!

The program goes fast so there's not a whole lot of time to meet a lot of bolivian students our own age. The program definitely tries to facilitate opportunities to connect with Bolivia students, but maybe making it a more structured part of the experience would help sustain those connections throughout the semester.

Kaylin
Austin, Texas
Washington University in Saint Louis

Learning in more ways than one

Through this program, I was able to achieve all of my study abroad goals. I not only learned about the country and culture itself, I also learned a lot about who I am as a person.

Academically it was different than what I was used to. We did spend time in the classroom discussing readings, theories, and concepts; however, we also utilized the experiential side to learning. We learned through a variety of trips, expeditions, organizational visits, and more. This is a major tenant of the SIT Study Abroad model, and definitely one of my favorite aspects. Learning from a book inside a classroom is one thing, but really engaging with the community and having hands-on experiences makes a huge difference.

The directors and program staff are also always available and very inviting. They want you to excel and get the most out of the experience.

The social scene was also very fun and exciting. From the theater, outdoor markets and many museums to the all-night "boliches," you are bound to find fun ways to fill your time. The food was also amazing! I find myself craving dishes I commonly ate while in Argentina.

The exchange rate was favorable to the US dollar, and it was not too difficult to find inexpensive food/activities/means of travel.

In this program, students stay with host families. I think this is a great way to improve your Spanish communication skills and also to immerse yourself in the culture. I really enjoyed spending time with my host family, and we have kept in contact!

Sometimes the seminar classes were a little long because the program was on the shorter side (meaning we had to get in a certain number of classroom hours in order to fulfill credit requirements). However, the professors and staff were aware of our attention levels, and we would get a short break when needed.

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in multiple locations. In addition to