The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Auckland, New Zealand

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study in Auckland, New Zealand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2018
The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2018 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN's partnerships with two leading Auckland universities provide an opportunity to study in one of the world's most naturally beautiful countries while still benefitting from a big city experience. Along with exploring all that Auckland has to offer, like its unique beaches and fusion of Polynesian and European cultures, students also can take advantage of studying at the University of Auckland or AUT University, the country's highest ranking and fastest growing universities respectively.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

Oceania » New Zealand » Auckland

Drake
Massachusetts
University of Auckland

Adventure of a Lifetime

Waiting in the airport was a strange feeling for me. I had just said goodbye to my friends and family for five months, but I was overcome with excitement. I knew the coming months would be an incredible journey, but I couldn't even imagine just how great they would be. As I sat there, waiting to board the plane, it was the most anxious and nervous I have ever felt. But I would give anything to go back to that exact moment. I can't even describe what that feeling was like. I had spent so much time getting ready for that semester abroad that it didn't even feel real at that point. It was the most vivid and amazing dream I've ever had, and the rest is history, as they say.

I can still remember the exact moment I decided on this program. I had been meeting with my school's study abroad office and I was trying to decide where I wanted to study. There were so many options to choose from that it was a little overwhelming. I was scrolling through Instagram one day, and I saw a picture of a place in New Zealand called Cathedral Cove. I was mesmerized by the picture, and knew right then that New Zealand was where I wanted to go. A few weeks into my semester abroad, my friends and I all rented a car and took a road trip to Cathedral Cove on my birthday. As I stood there looking at the same view I saw in that picture, all I could do was smile. This is a pretty bold statement, but I think that was the happiest moment of my life. It was so simple but I've never felt pure joy like that. Being there on my birthday, with all these new friends, knowing that I was accomplishing my dreams was a feeling I'll never be able to accurately put in writing.

Jacqueline
North Hampton
University of Hartford

Whānau

Counting down the days until I meet again with the lovely Pacific Island of New Zealand! My friends from my program and I had so much fun hiking, surfing, climbing, and going out during our time spent overseas. One of my favorite stories was getting invited to a semi formal with a cute kiwi boy and dancing the night away in the city! The lessons I learned from this trip made me the best version of myself I can be!

Connor
Norristown, PA
University of Southern California

A Truly Unexpected Journey

Being a part of the TEAN program studying at the Auckland University of Technology was a life-changing event and I could not be happier to have completed it. Beginning from the time we left LAX as a group of nearly 90 students getting prepared to face the unknown, TEAN gave us the tools and resources to enjoy our experience to the best of our ability and I can't be more thankful. As our orientation took us from Fiji to Auckland, we spent time building connections with other US students facing the same situations we were going through. Then once moving into our new homes and becoming a part of the AUT community, I was able to establish friendships with a lot of local Kiwis, especially my four roommates who were all from the same town in the north island. I cherished these friendships more than most and the uniqueness of crossing cultures has been incredible. Throughout the semester, TEAN staff did a good job putting together trips and activities for us to attend, ranging from a rugby match to a late-night comedy show. All-in-all I loved my time abroad and learned so much more about myself and the world surrounding me than I ever would've guessed.

Kristy
Los Angeles, CA
University of Southern California

It's all about gaining life experiences

Throughout my entire study abroad stay in Auckland, New Zealand, my number one goal was making memories! And it was an easy goal to accomplish thanks to my friends and advisors at TEAN, the Education Abroad Network. From our orientation in Fiji to our first week in Auckland, my TEAN advisors were there to help me and my new friends get adjusted to life in New Zealand. They took us surfing and then to my very first taste of fish and chips. After that, I was hooked on this meal! Everywhere I went afterwards, be it to Kaikoura to Wellington to Fox Glacier, it was the first thing I would eat! It became a ritual for me. So much so that my friends would tease me for it. But to me, it represented the food culture of New Zealand, and that's how I best connect to a place, through its food. And it was through food and meals that I made such great new friends and visited some great place!

It's already amazing!

Phillomina
Los Angeles, California
Auckland University of Technology

Worth one's salt.

The Education Abroad Network has set up a solid program for studying abroad in Auckland, New Zealand. Auckland already provides an abundance of opportunities to learn about Kiwi culture, but TEAN fully prepares students to live in a new country for 5 months.

TEAN is very good at making checklists of the required items we need. This made it easier to adjust in New Zealand and also less stressful. They helped with my visa application, university application and payments for the program.

One of the outstanding things about TEAN is the number of trips and events they plan for the students. Throughout the semester, they will host cultural events such as a rugby game or surfing for students. This helped me explore more of the country but without the hassle of planning it myself. One of the unique things they provided for us was a voucher for the Sky Screamer in Auckland. It's the perfect precursor for adventuring in New Zealand.

The residential advisors are the best people to talk to learn about the culture or just places to eat. They seem genuinely concerned about the students and whether we are making the most of our study abroad experiences.

This program could be improved by adding more events to mingle with the locals. School can sometimes get in the way of events so scheduling around these times could be helpful. Still, there were plenty of events to go to.

Haley
Charleston, South Carolina
College of Charleston

Cannot Say Enough Good Things

From beginning to end, The Education Abroad Network was a fantastic program. I was impressed in the beginning on steps they took to answer my question and preparing us for our time abroad. The orientation in Fiji is an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. Lack of technology and distractions, Fiji offered the cultural experience of a lifetime. My favorites include the cultural dance performed for us and a hike to the local village.
When arriving in New Zealand, I felt so set to take on this city from the fist night eating tapas downtown. We had the opportunity as a program to explore the city and take time with friends. It was so relaxing and being able to spend my first week with people who I met in Fiji making it extremely comfortable and fun.
After getting settled in Auckland I realized how lucky I was. I had brand new housing with an American student from a different program looking to travel and locals. I felt like I had a balance where I met people who wanted to travel as well as locals to teach me all about kiwi culture.
I was able to accomplish so much while I was there. I learned a lot for great professors, I felt like I had made lifelong friends, and I felt like I had an amazing support system along the way with TEAN. I would not go back and do it any other way. I wholeheartedly suggest you choose TEAN if choosing to go abroad because there is honestly no other program that will give you all that they can!

n/a

David
N/A
Massey University

The Best Experience of My Life!

Studying Abroad through TEAN was the best decision I made in my entire study abroad experience. I made so many amazing friends and was well prepared for my travels abroad all because of TEAN's help and activities that they set up for you to do for orientation.
Going to New Zealand all I can say is to travel as much as possible, and leave no sights unseen. I got this mentality from the staff at TEAN and it really made my semester in New Zealand worth it and something that I will never forget as long as I live.

The program could be improved by making the Fiji trip after settling in Auckland like we did for our semester permanent.

Stephanie
San Diego, California
Massey University

Experience I will always cherish

The education abroad network (team) was the best decision I did to go to Auckland. I knew exactly where I was going, but how and through which program was still in contemplation. Finding TEAN at my study abroad fair was simply fate and so happy with my decision to apply with TEAN. With TEAN I was more than satisfied with everything it had to offer. From the people I met, the helpful staff, and the pre-excursion trip to Fiji was just the few things I loved about going through TEAN.

NZWildcats
New Hampshire
University of New Hampshire

Go abroad! It will be the best decision of your life. TEAN provides you amazing support and makes the whole journey remarkable!

New Zealand is the most incredible country in the world and you will never experience so much in such a small place! Every weekend was spent traveling the country and doing anything from white water rafting to skydiving to hiking. You are really far from home, but you quickly come to find that it doesn't matter. The country is such a paradise that the only thing you will regret is having to leave. TEAN especially made the experience memorable.

TEAN is extremely helpful in making sure you are prepared for the study abroad experience. They offer incredible trips and really fun events throughout the semester. The pre-semester orientation takes place in Fiji on a beautiful island. So from the start you are in a situation where you become close friends with everybody in your program. You get to spend time with some natives of Fiji and learn their culture a bit.

When you arrive in New Zealand, TEAN representatives are awaiting to pick you up. They make sure you have the most comfortable accommodations throughout the weeks prior to move-in and they make sure there is never a dull moment. Throughout the semester TEAN remains in contact and provides meet-ups and various fun events (We got to see an All Blacks vs Australia rugby match!!). They also give great information on upcoming events and promotions.

TEAN gives you the freedom to be yourself and experience the country as you see fit. They give you the choice to be a part of the events during the semester. I don't know that I would have felt so prepared for five months abroad had it not been for the comfort of having TEAN guide me through the processes.

The country itself is spectacular and you absolute must take advantage of all it has to offer. Never say no to an adventure!! The only downside is that its often quite pricey so bring some money!

TEAN was so helpful along the way that I really cannot think of a situation where i was unhappy. The people at TEAN are extremely professional and make sure you are happy along the entire journey.

michelleelyse
Durham, New Hampshire!

New Zealand: My home across the pond

After nearly 5 months abroad, I can officially say I am in love with New Zealand, and I only have The Education Abroad Network to thank for that. I spent everyday with friends that I made in my living area, and who continue to be my best friends back here in the states. I loved my classes, and the beautiful walk I had to get there. TEAN was there for me every step of the way - from planning my trip to planning activities for me in Auckland. I wouldn't change anything about my semester, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The ONLY thing I would change, which TEAN had no control over, is the amount it cost to live in Auckland. Things were generally expensive, and I had to budget my money constantly. I wish I was rich so that I could have done everything and anything without a worry.

Katie
College Park, Maryland
University of Maryland

The Semester of a Lifetime

Spending a semester here in Auckland has been the best experience of my life, hands down. Auckland is a huge city with so much to offer, while at the same time being a short ride from beaches, mountains, and other natural beauties of New Zealand. I live in Parnell Student Village, which is a little community of apartments situated outside the main city that houses people from all over the world. I have made the most amazing friends that I will always have for the rest of my life, and have learned so much about different cultures. I study engineering, and the university's program has been really supportive in helping me out when I need it and the course material is interesting and challenging. My friends and I have done the most amazing things: skied on a volcano, white water rafted the largest commercially rafted waterfall, went zorbing, bungee jumped, went sand-boarding, dug for hot springs at the hot water beaches, and so many others! The beauty of TEAN is that I got to make friends before the semester even started, and even though some of them went to different cities that only means that I had places to stay when I was traveling. TEAN also has a wonderful support network of friendly staff that are always looking to help you out. It's really amazing how spending 5 months in a country, exploring it and getting to know the people around you can make it seem more and more like home.

lal002
Marietta, Ohio
Marietta College

TEAN Review

Studying abroad was the best decision I’ve made; the experiences I’ve had have been life changing. They have been by far the best experience in my entire life. These encounters would not have occurred if it weren’t for The Education Abroad Network (TEAN). From the beginning when I was first planning my trip all the way till the end when I was transferring my classes back TEAN has provided me with great assistance to make the transformation smooth and easy. TEAN was willing to work with me when I choose to study abroad a little later than everyone else. Many programs wouldn’t work with me since I was past their deadlines but TEAN told me if I was willing to get everything in as soon as possible they would be willing to work with me as well. TEAN treats everyone as a person, not as a number. They look at everyone’s situation and are willing to help each and every person out because they know how wonderful studying abroad truly is.

To start my abroad experience I took the TEAN pre-trip to Fiji. This pre-trip provided us with the opportunity to get to know everyone studying in New Zealand. So many programs just had orientation with all students from one city so they didn’t get to meet people studying in different places. This provided us with long-lasting friendships that continued as our experience progressed. We were able to meet up with people as we traveled to and from cities. This provided us with good recommendations from people in the area and even couches and floors to sleep on!

After getting to New Zealand TEAN continued to care for me and make sure everyone was adjusting well and enjoying their experience. They did a great job of continuing to keep in touch and offering activities and advice for people seeking them. Once I left the wonderful country of NZ TEAN didn’t just stop there. They are continuing to make sure that my classes have returned back in Marietta College just fine.

I can’t thank TEAN enough for providing me with the opportunity to study abroad.

Sadie
Brooklyn, NY
Lesotho

TEAN Auckland was the Greatest

I was terrified before studying abroad. Even though I moved from the Midwest to the East Coast to go to college moving to the whole other side of the world is completely different. TEAN was so great the whole time though and answered all the questions I had so quickly that it helped to calm my nerves.

From the second I met up with other TEAN kids in the LAX airport I had completely forgotten all of my paranoia. Everyone in the program was amazing and the pre-semester trip to Fiji was definitely a great way to ease into the study abroad experience.

Once I got settled in Auckland things only got better. I loved my residence (Parnell Student Village) and everything about New Zealand. Before going to Auckland nature and I were not the closest friends but there's something about New Zealand that changes you. I got into camping, hiking and even went skydiving!

Auckland itself is not the coolest city but the location definitely makes up for it. Where else can you see the sunrise on the east coast and then watch it set on the west in the same day? Plus, it's really easy to see all of the North Island from its location. Not to mention that Waiheke Island is only a short ferry ride away where you can lounge on the beach and wine taste all day.

University of Auckland was about as different from the seminar style of my college as it could get. The classes were big but all my lecturers were smart and definitely entertaining. While I definitely learned a little I wasn't challenged. I also was taking 100 and 200 level courses and my grades were pass/fail though so if you're looking for great academics just take 300 or grad courses.

I fully recommend studying abroad through TEAN. They are very hands-on and provide their students with more benefits/excursions than any other program I've heard of. And my time in NZ was definitely the best six months of my life!

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and across Asia over the past two decades has allowed TEAN to become experts