TEAN: Study Abroad in Auckland, New Zealand

The view from one of the peaks along the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
The Mirror Lakes in the south island of New Zealand.

TEAN's partnerships with two leading Auckland universities provide an opportunity to study in one of the world's most naturally beautiful countries while still benefitting from a big city experience. Along with exploring all that Auckland has to offer, like its unique beaches and fusion of Polynesian and European cultures, students also can take advantage of studying at the University of Auckland or AUT University, the country's highest ranking and fastest growing universities respectively.

The semester begins with an exciting 5-day Orientation Excursion in adventurous Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island where TEAN's in-country staff guide students through orientation sessions and an array of activities, including exploring Maori culture more deeply, jet boating along the Dart River or discovering the stunning Milford Sound.

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Lauren

New Zealand, New Me

I spent much time deciding where I wanted to study abroad, but once I decided on New Zealand I continued to spend many more hours trying to determine which city would be the best fit for me. I ultimately felt Auckland would be the place to explore and it sure was! I would not describe myself as a city person, but that is why I chose this diverse hotspot because I had been aching for something out of my comfort zone. Auckland served as a lively social scene with many activities and events happening weekly, which are only minutes away from the Auckland University of Technology where I took my classes. The Education Abroad Network, my program of choice, had Auckland-based staff who kept me informed about all that the country has to offer from Auckland to Queenstown in the South Island. I think the most beautiful part of going abroad is the new people you will be able to meet upon your journey whether they are Americans, New Zealanders, or international students! Building relationships in Auckland was the best. I explored the country on the weekends and in my mid-semester break with these new friends! You can too! So my advice to you is if you are already making the effort to study abroad, don't be afraid to meet new people and Auckland is a great place to start!

I think one of the most valuable factors about studying abroad is knowing you have the opportunity to be more independent. Most students are nervous and uncertain about what potential an abroad experience will hold and I can live to say that if you want to push yourself out of your comfort zone, going to a new country will unleash an adventurous spirit within you. New Zealand is a gorgeous country with a huge culture of adventurers and Auckland is a lively city to be centered in! I think I was afraid that if I studied in Auckland, I would only be around a city, but there are ways to travel to different parts of the country. Make friends and travel with them, because there will always be folks looking to adventure too! Also, The Education Abroad Network keeps you informed of events in your area of study and they plan outings for students to be a part of! Don't be afraid to ask questions because the TEAN staff will be right by your side whether you want to know more about your home city, the country, or any other concerns!
Joanna

Incredible adventures and self-growth

My experience studying abroad with TEAN was life-changing (as cliche as that sounds, but it’s true). I cannot stress enough how many times I left my comfort zone and how many friends I made that I truly believe I will keep in touch with (especially those from TEAN and the orientation in Queenstown). My experience allowed me to take classes that satisfied my intellectual interests rather than solely requirements and helped me realize and redefine my career goals. I was also privileged to be supported and guided by friendly, insightful and experienced TEAN staff, who led exciting excursions such as a trip to Rangitoto Island. When reflecting, I am extremely glad I chose this program. I’ll always fondly remember my semester abroad in New Zealand and draw on the lessons I learned about myself there.

Lauren

Amazing semester

I had an amazing time abroad with TEAN, and I can't imagine going with any other company. They made everything so easy and supported me the entire way from when I was still applying to while I was over there! They set up awesome excursions in the beginning of the study abroad experience to get to know other students studying in the same country and city to make friends, and also had excursions throughout the semester to catch up and check in with us while having a great time (from hiking a dormant volcano to going to a rugby match!). I also can't say enough good things about the people I met as a part of TEAN, from the staff who was abroad with us, to the other students who are now lifelong friends! They made my study abroad experience everything I could have imagined and more, and I can't believe that it's over. Can I go again?!!!!

I really can't think of anything. Everything was absolutely amazing!
Madeline

TEAN review

I have nothing but good things to say about TEAN. There are extremely organized and helpful and made my experience unforgettable. I had an advantage to a lot of other abroad students in that I came with a program and had already become acquainted with other abroad students before school started. It helped me feel more at home and helped me adjust to the change. I went with TEAN to Thailand over mid-semester break and it was absolutely the highlight of my semester. The staff was amazing, the trip was perfectly organized and we backed about everything there is to see in Thailand in 9 days. Anyone traveling abroad should go through TEAN if they have the opportunity too.

Literally have nothing
Grayce

NZ Abroad

This experience was beyond amazing. Choosing New Zealand as my country of study was the best decision I have made. NZ is so unique, and a lot of times a country that people forget about. It’s just one of those countries that you have to see the whole country to be satisfied. TEAN was a great choice of progam, as they know how to support us in any way possible and make us feel as comfortable as we can in such an unfamiliar place. After talking to others through different programs, it just seemed to me that TEAN really knew what they were doing compared to the others. Studying abroad in general taught me how to adapt to new cultures, how to be way more independent, and how to stop caring so much about what others think and just live my life. I am so greatful for this experience.

I just wish TEAN had programs in more places rather than just the Pacific.
Read my full story
Drake

Adventure of a Lifetime

Waiting in the airport was a strange feeling for me. I had just said goodbye to my friends and family for five months, but I was overcome with excitement. I knew the coming months would be an incredible journey, but I couldn't even imagine just how great they would be. As I sat there, waiting to board the plane, it was the most anxious and nervous I have ever felt. But I would give anything to go back to that exact moment. I can't even describe what that feeling was like. I had spent so much time getting ready for that semester abroad that it didn't even feel real at that point. It was the most vivid and amazing dream I've ever had, and the rest is history, as they say.

I can still remember the exact moment I decided on this program. I had been meeting with my school's study abroad office and I was trying to decide where I wanted to study. There were so many options to choose from that it was a little overwhelming. I was scrolling through Instagram one day, and I saw a picture of a place in New Zealand called Cathedral Cove. I was mesmerized by the picture, and knew right then that New Zealand was where I wanted to go. A few weeks into my semester abroad, my friends and I all rented a car and took a road trip to Cathedral Cove on my birthday. As I stood there looking at the same view I saw in that picture, all I could do was smile. This is a pretty bold statement, but I think that was the happiest moment of my life. It was so simple but I've never felt pure joy like that. Being there on my birthday, with all these new friends, knowing that I was accomplishing my dreams was a feeling I'll never be able to accurately put in writing.

Jacqueline

Whānau

Counting down the days until I meet again with the lovely Pacific Island of New Zealand! My friends from my program and I had so much fun hiking, surfing, climbing, and going out during our time spent overseas. One of my favorite stories was getting invited to a semi formal with a cute kiwi boy and dancing the night away in the city! The lessons I learned from this trip made me the best version of myself I can be!

Connor

A Truly Unexpected Journey

Being a part of the TEAN program studying at the Auckland University of Technology was a life-changing event and I could not be happier to have completed it. Beginning from the time we left LAX as a group of nearly 90 students getting prepared to face the unknown, TEAN gave us the tools and resources to enjoy our experience to the best of our ability and I can't be more thankful. As our orientation took us from Fiji to Auckland, we spent time building connections with other US students facing the same situations we were going through. Then once moving into our new homes and becoming a part of the AUT community, I was able to establish friendships with a lot of local Kiwis, especially my four roommates who were all from the same town in the north island. I cherished these friendships more than most and the uniqueness of crossing cultures has been incredible. Throughout the semester, TEAN staff did a good job putting together trips and activities for us to attend, ranging from a rugby match to a late-night comedy show. All-in-all I loved my time abroad and learned so much more about myself and the world surrounding me than I ever would've guessed.

Kristy

It's all about gaining life experiences

Throughout my entire study abroad stay in Auckland, New Zealand, my number one goal was making memories! And it was an easy goal to accomplish thanks to my friends and advisors at TEAN, the Education Abroad Network. From our orientation in Fiji to our first week in Auckland, my TEAN advisors were there to help me and my new friends get adjusted to life in New Zealand. They took us surfing and then to my very first taste of fish and chips. After that, I was hooked on this meal! Everywhere I went afterwards, be it to Kaikoura to Wellington to Fox Glacier, it was the first thing I would eat! It became a ritual for me. So much so that my friends would tease me for it. But to me, it represented the food culture of New Zealand, and that's how I best connect to a place, through its food. And it was through food and meals that I made such great new friends and visited some great place!

It's already amazing!
Phillomina

Worth one's salt.

The Education Abroad Network has set up a solid program for studying abroad in Auckland, New Zealand. Auckland already provides an abundance of opportunities to learn about Kiwi culture, but TEAN fully prepares students to live in a new country for 5 months.

TEAN is very good at making checklists of the required items we need. This made it easier to adjust in New Zealand and also less stressful. They helped with my visa application, university application and payments for the program.

One of the outstanding things about TEAN is the number of trips and events they plan for the students. Throughout the semester, they will host cultural events such as a rugby game or surfing for students. This helped me explore more of the country but without the hassle of planning it myself. One of the unique things they provided for us was a voucher for the Sky Screamer in Auckland. It's the perfect precursor for adventuring in New Zealand.

The residential advisors are the best people to talk to learn about the culture or just places to eat. They seem genuinely concerned about the students and whether we are making the most of our study abroad experiences.

This program could be improved by adding more events to mingle with the locals. School can sometimes get in the way of events so scheduling around these times could be helpful. Still, there were plenty of events to go to.
Haley

Cannot Say Enough Good Things

From beginning to end, The Education Abroad Network was a fantastic program. I was impressed in the beginning on steps they took to answer my question and preparing us for our time abroad. The orientation in Fiji is an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. Lack of technology and distractions, Fiji offered the cultural experience of a lifetime. My favorites include the cultural dance performed for us and a hike to the local village.
When arriving in New Zealand, I felt so set to take on this city from the fist night eating tapas downtown. We had the opportunity as a program to explore the city and take time with friends. It was so relaxing and being able to spend my first week with people who I met in Fiji making it extremely comfortable and fun.
After getting settled in Auckland I realized how lucky I was. I had brand new housing with an American student from a different program looking to travel and locals. I felt like I had a balance where I met people who wanted to travel as well as locals to teach me all about kiwi culture.
I was able to accomplish so much while I was there. I learned a lot for great professors, I felt like I had made lifelong friends, and I felt like I had an amazing support system along the way with TEAN. I would not go back and do it any other way. I wholeheartedly suggest you choose TEAN if choosing to go abroad because there is honestly no other program that will give you all that they can!

n/a
David

The Best Experience of My Life!

Studying Abroad through TEAN was the best decision I made in my entire study abroad experience. I made so many amazing friends and was well prepared for my travels abroad all because of TEAN's help and activities that they set up for you to do for orientation.
Going to New Zealand all I can say is to travel as much as possible, and leave no sights unseen. I got this mentality from the staff at TEAN and it really made my semester in New Zealand worth it and something that I will never forget as long as I live.

The program could be improved by making the Fiji trip after settling in Auckland like we did for our semester permanent.
Stephanie

Experience I will always cherish

The education abroad network (team) was the best decision I did to go to Auckland. I knew exactly where I was going, but how and through which program was still in contemplation. Finding TEAN at my study abroad fair was simply fate and so happy with my decision to apply with TEAN. With TEAN I was more than satisfied with everything it had to offer. From the people I met, the helpful staff, and the pre-excursion trip to Fiji was just the few things I loved about going through TEAN.

NZWildcats

Go abroad! It will be the best decision of your life. TEAN provides you amazing support and makes the whole journey remarkable!

New Zealand is the most incredible country in the world and you will never experience so much in such a small place! Every weekend was spent traveling the country and doing anything from white water rafting to skydiving to hiking. You are really far from home, but you quickly come to find that it doesn't matter. The country is such a paradise that the only thing you will regret is having to leave. TEAN especially made the experience memorable.

TEAN is extremely helpful in making sure you are prepared for the study abroad experience. They offer incredible trips and really fun events throughout the semester. The pre-semester orientation takes place in Fiji on a beautiful island. So from the start you are in a situation where you become close friends with everybody in your program. You get to spend time with some natives of Fiji and learn their culture a bit.

When you arrive in New Zealand, TEAN representatives are awaiting to pick you up. They make sure you have the most comfortable accommodations throughout the weeks prior to move-in and they make sure there is never a dull moment. Throughout the semester TEAN remains in contact and provides meet-ups and various fun events (We got to see an All Blacks vs Australia rugby match!!). They also give great information on upcoming events and promotions.

TEAN gives you the freedom to be yourself and experience the country as you see fit. They give you the choice to be a part of the events during the semester. I don't know that I would have felt so prepared for five months abroad had it not been for the comfort of having TEAN guide me through the processes.

The country itself is spectacular and you absolute must take advantage of all it has to offer. Never say no to an adventure!! The only downside is that its often quite pricey so bring some money!

TEAN was so helpful along the way that I really cannot think of a situation where i was unhappy. The people at TEAN are extremely professional and make sure you are happy along the entire journey.
michelleelyse

New Zealand: My home across the pond

After nearly 5 months abroad, I can officially say I am in love with New Zealand, and I only have The Education Abroad Network to thank for that. I spent everyday with friends that I made in my living area, and who continue to be my best friends back here in the states. I loved my classes, and the beautiful walk I had to get there. TEAN was there for me every step of the way - from planning my trip to planning activities for me in Auckland. I wouldn't change anything about my semester, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The ONLY thing I would change, which TEAN had no control over, is the amount it cost to live in Auckland. Things were generally expensive, and I had to budget my money constantly. I wish I was rich so that I could have done everything and anything without a worry.