Study Abroad in Auckland with Unitec

campervan
campervan
welcome party
welcome party
New Zealand has some interesting food!
New Zealand has some interesting food!
One of my favorite trips here. Unitec's Experience NZ took us to a houseboat in the Bay of Islands.
Hiking part of The Hillary Trail
Hiking part of The Hillary Trail
Napier has some delicious doughnuts!
Napier has some delicious doughnuts!
Best people in the world.
Best people in the world.
Perfect swim with the international gang in Rotorua
Perfect swim with the international gang in Rotorua

Come and study at NZ’s largest Institute of Technology where we are committed to being innovative in an applied learning environment.

Unitec is New Zealand’s largest institute of Technology located in the heart of Auckland, one of the worlds’ most liveable cities. We offer more than 140 work-orientated programmes to students from over 80 countries. We are a leader in adopting modern teaching and training approaches to prepare our students for success in the jobs of the future.

The Unitec Study Abroad programme allows students from overseas institutions to enrol at Unitec for one or two semesters. The courses you take can be from over 20 different disciplines and you pay a set tuition fee. All of our programmes offer cutting edge teaching and many will allow you to experience direct, industry engagements through projects, mini-internships and industry experts supporting your learning.

• Applied learning
  • Industry focused
  • Strong international community
  • Passionate and expert staff
  • Vibrant and lively city

• Instruction 9
Luis

Unitec Auckland

Unitec offers a wide range of different courses for exchange students and because of the small classes it is always possible to ask the teacher for help. Overall the whole Unitec team is always keen to support with any concerns. Apart from the green campus and the big library with lots of study opportunities (if needed) the campus has also international flair with people from all over the world celebrating their culture with different events right at the universoty.

Auckland is good to study too, but to be honest it is not very cheap. Nevertheless, the city has many events and there are lots of bars and coffee shops to enjoy the sunny hours or to go for a drink and explore the nightlife of the multi culti centre.

Everyone who loves the nature, rugby and to explore a partly unspoiled country should take the opportunity and study as exchange student here at Unitec!

Get a better description of the courses before choosing them!
Ludwig

My studies in New Zealand

My name is Ludwig and i'm a 21-year-old male from Germany.
I was given the opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand by my home University the FH Kufstein Tirol.

The Application process concerning Unitec itself was seamless and easy due to their well-designed application portal.
Other than that the visa application was a bit troublesome for me. although I applied well over two months before I planed to leave for New Zealand my visa didn't arrive in time, forcing me to move my flight.

But when i finally arrived in New Zealand everything went smoothly, i Received my student id on the first day, I got a great orientation and found my way around the campus and city very fast.
The Courses I Took were very practical and i had to do a great deal of learning in my own time. Which was not a bad thing at all.
The lecturers were very friendly and concerned for their students success.
Also, New Zealand is a beautiful country and I tried to travel a lot!
You definitely should try the same.

I hope this review helped!

I would improve the way the attendance tracking works. Unitec uses an App called seats, which is unfortunately very unreliably and I often had to make sure that my presence was recorded properly because exchange students need an atendence of 100% and this is tracked by the app.
Daniel

Austrian meets the Maori Culture

One of my dreams came true with my place to study at Unitec. Studying, in a place where others only go on holiday and where is surrounded by beautiful landscapes and different cultures. We were traditionally greeted with a ceremony in Maori Culture Style during Orientation Week and were very welcome. Our student coordinators have already given us the most important information and have always helped us. There were also some events where the Exchange students met and had fun.
During the first weeks, there were still some changes in my courses, but they were easy and fast and with the help of the Student Coordinator, it was uncomplicated. The courses are interesting and it is fun to learn more about the business market in New Zealand.

All in all, I would recommend Unitec to everybody because you are in one of the most beautiful countries, you have a lot of green areas around Unitec, you learn interesting things and meet people from all over the world!

Over & Out,
Daniel

Eduardo

Go for it!

Coming to study in Auckland has been one of my best decisions. I love being in touch with nature and New Zealand is the best place where you can be studying and at the same time take a walk and be surprised by the diversity of plants and animals that you can find. The people of Auckland are very friendly and can help you with any problems you may encounter and give you advice on what to do and what not. I must admit that it can be a little scared to travel from your home country to this isolated part of the world, but once you arrive you will not regret it. There are many activities and places to visit in New Zealand and if you come with friends it will be a great adventure that will remain forever in your memory!
If possible, the best way to visit most of New Zealand is after having finished classes, so you can visit the South Island without worrying about having to return in time for your classes. One tip during classes, visit the north island as much as you can, and after school as much as you can from the south island!

Rylee

Study abroad- Unitec

I could not have been happier doing my study abroad at Unitec in beautiful New Zealand! The country is amazing with so many things to do, no matter what your interests are.
We were welcomed to the University with a traditional Maori welcome and we learnt about the culture which was very special and we were made to feel really welcome. All the teaching and support staff are friendly and approachable and very knowledgeable, not only with information regarding your studies but also anything you need to know about life in New Zealand. On top of this, the location and campus are 10/10! The classes are enjoyable and informative and we are given the choice of subjects which allows us to build on our interests. The only thing I could suggest is a greater socialisation between exchange students and the main student body.

The only thing I would suggest about the program is that there isn’t a lot of student life activities which allow for exchange students to socialise with the rest of the student body.
Susanne

Studying Design while exploring this amazing country

We were welcomed by lots of friendly faces and a traditional Maori welcome ceremony.
Back in Germany, I'm studying Communication Design and here I'm taking third-year classes in Business of Creative Enterprise. Having the chance to take part in a class where everyone else is doing their graduation project is pretty cool and some kind of trial run for my actual graduation when I come back. The lectures are very supportive and you've got plenty of freedom in choosing what you want to do in your projects.
Besides having a very lovely group of other exchange students the general student life could be a bit more exciting. But we are making the best of it and organize our own trips to explore New Zealand a bit. It's definitely a very beautiful country, that has basically everything to offer.

Linn

Creative enterprise - design

I am studying one semester at Unitec, Auckland and I am taking design courses as my main. The teachers are very good and so is the level of the courses. I am learning a lot and enjoying my experience in school! I like the that you can choose your courses that you would like to take and build up your portfolio in areas you either want to specialize in or broaden your knowledge. It is possible to change courses in the two first weeks if you change your mind regarding your selection of courses.

Auckland is a big city and offers a variety of things to do and see. The food scene is amazing with lots of different restaurants, cafes, pubs and so on. There is a vibrant nightlife in the city. As for the school, they don’t arrange that much for us students so that is up to your group of people to do yourself.

Slavena

Awesome experience

My study abroad was mandatory for my Bachelor programme back in The Netherlands and I couldn't happier that I chose Unitec without any doubt. The campus is big and has plenty to offer. Same goes for the city itself, it is very lively and you simply can't feel bored, there's always something to do. And the rest of the country is simply stunning, I don't think you can find a more beautiful place on the planet! Everyone from the staff was incredibly friendly and always willing to help or simply give tips about any trips or experiences, which made our stay even more memorable. My major back at home is Business Communication, so I opted for the courses from the Business programme. The lecturers were very helpful and we had a decent amount of assessments, but I don't think they were difficult at all. I wished there were more events and activities for the students to socialise with each other, but even without them my semester abroad at Unitec has definitely made some of the best memories I could have!

I would make sure there are more interesting events for the students such as BBQs, parties, trips, etc. I definitely felt they were missing and it made my stay a little bit less exciting.
Tom

Unitec - perfect choice in a stunning country!

Going for a semester abroad was part of my bachelor degree in my home university in Austria. I've decided to go to New Zealand and choose Unitec. The welcome week was great with an impressive traditional maori welcome ceremony. My expectations were fulfilled, and I really loved at this beautiful and spacious campus. They offer a wide range on different courses and lectors are really helpful and friendly. Classes are small, very interactive, and the teaching contents have a great practical relevance. The whole stuff is always supportive and help you wherever they can. The country of New Zealand itself ist just amazing and offers so many magic places to discover. Living in Auckland is the perfect location between city life and trips into the stunning nature. 100% recomentation! Unitec & NZ - you've got me!

Georg

The best 5 months of my life - till now

Studying in Auckland is so much fun. I made friends with a lot of people around the world and the courses I take are very interesting and I can see how things are going to work in real life.
The way of teaching here is so different than back home in Austria, since the lecturers are more like coaches and they are trying to help in every situation.
I would DEFINITELY recommend my program and I wish I could have stayed longer here.

It would be better if students have more opportunities to spent their freetime on campus
Lea

Unitec Institute of Technology

Unitec is a very unique university in the sense that the people, professors, and campus isn't anything like what I expected. The people are extremely nice, more than 50% of students aren't from New Zealand, at least from the classes I was enrolled in, so it was interesting to hear about places all over the world from an educational viewpoint. Again, not one of my four professors was from New Zealand, but they have such an appreciation for the culture and lifestyle they act like Kiwi's. The university itself is very unique because half of the campus looks very industrial, with shipping containers and portables, and the other half resembles architecture from European libraries and buildings.
The campus is extremely safe and I never once felt at danger even walking home after an 8:30 PM lecture.

I think the welcome day was amazing, however maybe having more opportunities for the international students to get to know each other. Such as a potluck or something off campus
Pauline

Feels like home

I’ve spent a year abroad before and I remember being really homesick at times. Being here in New Zealand ,studying at Unitec, I feel so comfortable and there wasn’t a single sign of homesickness since the day I arrived in February. One of the major things that made me feel so welcome here was the international orientation when we got to participate in a traditional Maori ceremony. In my home country Germany we don’t have indigenous people as part of our culture, so I was especially excited to learn about the Maori culture. After a few Unitec student performed this really cool and powerful Maori dance, we got to say hello to some of our future lecturers, important staff from Unitec and Maori people who led the ceremony. We all lined up and greeted each and every one of them with a handshake and our foreheads and noses touching. The leader of the Maori ceremony explained to me that this was called ‘the breath of life’ and goes way back to the beginning of Maori history. I don’t know what is was about this special greeting but this was the warmest and most sincere welcome that I ever experienced. This is what I love about New Zealand - the people here and the beautiful nature make me feel home. A couple of weeks ago I got to spend 4 hours at Muriwai Beach just by myself, walking around and watching the ocean and people surfing. It was one of the best days I had here because I was just in awe of how beautiful this country is. Sometime I get these moments and I they will forever be in my mind because of how happy they made me feel.

I don’t know if it is considerable for Unitec, but maybe offering one or two daytrips or tours in the beginning of the semester for new students would be a great way to introduce people even more to the New Zealand culture and this country.
Read my full story
Chris

One Exchange Won't be Enough

Committing to a study abroad program is a major decision that you will never regret and always remember. There are few places in this world that are higher acclaimed than the natural beauty that New Zealand has to offer. Once finding a program in New Zealand with Unitec I knew I was in for a trip of a lifetime and I would make the most out all the country and school had to offer.

Unitec presides just outside of Auckland city providing students with an approachable location within arms-reach of Auckland’s best attractions. They do a great job of making sure students are well taken care of and have every possible resource they may need. The Mt. Albert Campus produces an open layout but boasts the massive Hub for food, drinks, studying, and hanging out between classes. Studies at Unitec are very manageable and the class plans allow you to work at your own pace to complete assignments. As a Business major in the U.S. I found the classes and Lecturers approachable and informative which was a major part of my experience.

Due to the comparatively lackadaisical lesson plans and great faculty throughout Unitec I was able to comfortably start and finish my assignments often ahead of schedule allowing me to explore the wonders of New Zealand. Once your studies are done there is no limit to what you can see and do in this country. With great rental and flight rates with proper planning and a little bit of improvisation you can get all over the country on a great budget. Auckland itself is a beautiful and easy to understand city with reliable public transportation and great sites within 45 minutes in each direction.

Culture shock is very low at Unitec and in New Zealand, you will find adjusting to the pace and people very easy and even relieving. The largest adjustment you should expect is housing. Housing in New Zealand is held to a very relaxed standard and don’t be surprised to find some less than luxurious apartments upon arrival. However, with the right flat mates and a positive outlook on any obstacle your space will soon be home.

One of the most underrated portions of New Zealand and this program are the incredible people you will come into contact with. Unitec will expose you to almost every global nationality just through your classes. The campus is wonderfully diverse and you’ll have the opportunity to meet, live, and work with people from all walks of the world. In addition, Lesley Precious (the international manager) will be around every corner with great tips and ready to help with whatever you may need. The highlight of my trip and every memory I will keep from this experience are from the amazing individuals I’ve gotten to travel and interact with on this exchange.

Overall, Unitec will provide you with an incredible platform to get a quality education while also experiencing New Zealand at your leisure. You will make new friends, experience a new culture and conquer new obstacles big and small. This program is what you make of it and, apart from submitting assignments, there are virtually no limits to what you can do here.

A potential improvement may be more events for international students to attend throughout the semester. The welcome week was great but over the semester I lost touch with many fellow exchange students.
Axel

Exchange semester at Unitec

When I was deciding where I wanted to go for my exchange semester, I came to the conclusion that I wanted an adventure. I looked into my options and immediately felt excited about New Zealand. It is far from my normal life in Scandinavia and offered a nature that can't be experienced anywhere else. New Zealand and Unitec proved to be a perfect choice for me.

It felt convenient and easy moving to an english speaking country, since it made it much easier for me to adapt to the new country and culture. I decided to live in a 5-room flat on campus with 3 other students. Surely, the standard of the flat was not excellent, but it was the best decision I made during my exchange semester. Through my flatmates I got to meet a lot of new friends in no-time, which made my transition to New Zealand and Auckland much easier. In general, through both the housing and Unitec, I got to meet a lot of new friends from all over the world, both full-time students at Unitec and other exchange students. Furthermore, Lesley Precious (International Relationship Manager) is there to make sure you have a good time at Unitec, and she was truly great at taking care of all the exchange students.

Personally, the academic level was a bit below what I'm used to back in Denmark. However, most of the courses I took was very interesting and highly relevant for me and my studies, so the academic challenge didn't worry me at all. Furthermore, I chose to study in New Zealand to travel and see everything the country had to offer. Thereby, the hours I saved from studying, I didn't mind spending to explore the magic nature of New Zealand. Unitec even arranges a few trips on the North Island which are really nice to join, since they plan everything for you, and you get to travel with fellow students.

Even though I have been traveling a lot during my exchange semester, I still feel there is so much more to see in New Zealand. I definitely want to go back when I get the chance, to explore and experience the places I missed.

My experience in New Zealand and at Unitec exceeded my expectations! I can really recommend Unitec as a study location for your exchange semester!

Ester

My once in a lifetime experience

I got the incredible chance to spend one exchange semester at Unitec and it was the best experience ever. I've enjoyed every day of my time abroad and I can only recommend to go and apply for it now. Yes, you might struggle in the beginning. Yes, it might be hard to start a new life in a totally different country. Yes, you might feel lost because you don't know the teachers yet and don't know what they expect from you. But Unitec provides a lot of help to make exchange students feel welcome. Leslie, the study abroad programm coordinator will help you with anything and welcomes you very warmly. Unitec also offers a lot of support services for all kinds of academic challenges. I got the chance to choose freely from any courses I'd like to attend during my semester at Unitec and, altough the administration was a bit chaotic and overstrained in the first week, it was no problem to switch or drop courses. The online system of Unitec might be a bit confusing in the beginning - there are a bunch of different platforms you are supposed to check regularly and grades, sometimes, were not put up until more than a month after the assignment. Classes, in general, were interesting and not too hard. But what made these couple of months so awesome, were the friendships I made. So don't be afraid to put yourself out there, because with good friends, your time will be so much more fun and you got someone to explore every beautiful square metre of New Zealand and share all the memories with. During orientation week, Unitec offers a bunch of events on campus and during the semester, the CLV Campus Living Solutions, offers some more activities for the students living on campus. Living on campus was very relaxed and convenient. The Crockers apartments on campus were a bit run-down and, in my opinion, overpriced, but it was all made up by the community that we built. If you're living on campus, also check out the fitness centre there. I really enjoyed the boxing fitness classes! And definitely go to the little creek with a waterfall behind the 310 Apartments, and I loved doing my weekly shopping at the Avondale Sunday market ;-) There was a lot of construction on campus, but the plans look pretty cool, so I'm sure that's something to be excited about!
Don't think twice and apply for your semester abroad now! Unitec is definitely a good place to explore the beauty of New Zealand from.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Unitec Institute of Technology

Unitec is New Zealand's largest, top ranking Institute of Technology, with more than 18,000 students from around 80 countries. We are located in the heart of Auckland, one of the world’s most livable cities. Here at Unitec we know that today’s...