TEAN: Study Abroad in Seoul, South Korea

Korea University Fountain
Korea University Fountain
Yeouido, Cherry Blossom season
Yeouido, Cherry Blossom season

Set amongst the foothills of picturesque mountains, Seoul is home to over half of South Korea’s population and is the epicenter of the country’s government and economy. TEAN's partnership with Korea University allows students to study abroad in Seoul throughout the year with a semester, summer or winter term program.

More than 40% of the courses available at Korea University are taught in English, so you can rest assured that you'll find course options to stay on track for graduation. Korean language courses are offered every semester at six different levels and students fluent in Korean, will have access to the school's full range of courses (with a few exceptions).

The TEAN program also includes a fun orientation at the start of the semester along with in-country staff to provide support every step of the way.

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

In Seoul, I would say that quite a large amount of people can understand and speak at least a little English. In popular areas with heavy foot traffic like Hongdae, Myeongdong, itaewon and Dongdaemun you should be ok to use English because they get a lot of foreigners there. At Korea University in Anam since there are a lot of university students that had to study English back in high school and...
Hi Trya! The cost of our program in Seoul can vary term to term and depending on which program you are interested in (summer or semester or winter term). I recommend visiting our website to see current pricing for upcoming programs.

Isabelle

A Summer In Seoul & a Summer I'll Never Forget

My dream since I was 11 years old was to travel to Seoul, South Korea and learn all about Korean language and culture. I was really nervous about picking the study abroad right program. I wanted to challenge myself academically, but also leave enough time to explore and have fun. My university didn't offer a program to South Korea, but I saw TEAN's table at my university's study abroad fair. After speaking with the representative and researching Korea University; I knew that this was the right program for me. My sociology and Korean language classes at Korea University were challenging but the professors were amazing. The town of Anam was also amazing. I never felt unsafe once and that's saying a lot because I grew up in Baltimore. Anam also had some the best & inexpensive food that I ate while in Korea. During TEAN's welcome and farewell dinner, Sandra and Katie ( from TEAN) took us to awesome restaurants. The excursions that were included in this trip were so much fun. My favorite was Lotte World because I love amusement parks. During the excursions you could get to know your KUBA better ( Korean buddy) and then have a Korean friend for life. I honestly don't have one complaint about this program, I would go again in a heartbeat.

My advice would be to try to go with the flow and explore as much as possible. Seoul is such a dense city and there are new places popping up every day. I was out of my dorm every day from 10am- until the subways closed at midnight and I still did not get to see as much as I would have liked to. Seoul tends to build upwards instead of outwards; so don't forget to look up above the first floor of buildings. Google maps and Apple maps don't work that well in Korea, so make sure you have Kaokao Map and Kakao Metro downloaded so you don't get lost. Don't skip out on the excursions because they're really fun and worth your time. TEAN has a great support system so don't hesitate to reach out to someone if you have questions or concerns. But my biggest piece of advice would be; watch out for mopeds.
Mei

One Spring Day

This was an amazing experience! It was my second time abroad with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) and I can promise you this is an amazing program. I was impressed with the amount of care I felt from the advisers and tips that they gave to me - not only for school and culture, but also life advice and wonderful memories of actually becoming friends that still text till this day.

The other students in TEAN were also great, I loved how during the orientation with TEAN we really got a chance to become friends with fellow TEAN students so when classes started we already had a support group. TEAN also did an amazing job at making sure everything went as smooth as possible with orientation at Korea University, classes and teachers. The trips TEAN took us on were all amazing like the trip to the DMZ, to Lotte World, as well as monthly coffee catch ups to destress and get food.

Korea University is also an amazing university that completely enriched my learning, I was able to meet soooooo many amazing classmates and really get involved on campus.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I dont know if it counts, but it was maybe the first month I was in Korea, I was with some friends in Hongdae and we were deciding where to go. The all of a sudden my friend hits my arm and is jumping up and down. In my head I was thinking "what are you doing?????" but then she whisper/screams "that guy is from descendants of the sun" and I whip my head around and see the actor. Never thought I'd see an actor, just out and about...but I did and it was the most unexpected thing but I was sooooo happy.
Sarah

An incredible summer in Seoul

My experience abroad in South Korea was, without a doubt, life changing, and I am so incredibly thankful to TEAN for facilitating it. They provided great support both before leaving the United States, and in South Korea. They ensured students' success by providing them with checklists and other materials early in the planning process, and had a pre-departure orientation that was incredibly helpful.
My class at Korea University was fun and engaging, but also incredibly insightful, and I truly learned a lot. While in Korea, I was able to do a of sightseeing and traveling both within the country, and around Asia.
TEAN's Summer in Seoul program is a great choice for any student, especially for those who may be worried about going abroad either alone or for the first time.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I got lost. I was able to ask for help from locals
Takara

The Education Abroad Network Study at Korea University

The best decision that I could have ever made in my choice to study abroad was choosing this wonderful program, TEAN or The Education Abroad Network. Everything that they offered and did for all of us students always went above and beyond our expectations. From taking a taekwondo class, going to popular and entertaining amusement parks, to having monthly coffee shop meetups, I always felt like our advisers truly cared for us and would be there if we ever needed them. As I went into this program and even my university, Korea University knowing no one at all, I was understandably very nervous about whether I would actually find any friends or enjoy myself for the long 4 months. However, these worries were quickly put at ease due to the many activities TEAN my fellow travelers and I did during the first week we were in Korea, making a bond between all of us that lasted the entire time studying abroad, and even until now, about 3 months after we all returned back to the U.S. I am truly so appreciative that I was able to have this adventure with the TEAN program, and everyone who wants to travel or study abroad should go through this program also.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
While eating at a traditional marketplace with some of my older Korean friends, they made me try this dish called "Sannakji", which are moving pieces of octopus. I was not the biggest fan of this food, but it is really really popular within Korea.
Stephanie

Study Abroad in Seoul

I'd never been to Asia before, and studying abroad in Seoul, South Korea was the perfect place to start! Not only was Korea University an incredible school (both beautiful and prestigious), but Seoul itself was lively, and the perfect mix of old culture and new experiences. The combination of wildly flavorful food, natural wonders, and shopping was amazing! Plus it was easy to do weekend trips to other countries as well!

TEAN made the experience so smooth by taking care of the logistics, and being great with their communication and transparency. I was able to reach out to the coordinators about anything and everything- from details about my visa and class registration, to suggestions of things to do like hikes and rice wine tasting. TEAN was also a great way to meet people, and do activities that would have been more difficult on my own, or that I would have overlooked. Overall, it was a life-changing experience!

I missed orientation because of my job, but missing that one week made me feel like I missed out on half the experience- so I wish some things were a little more staggered throughout the semester, so that I would have gotten to meet people and do more.
Jenny

Go Go GO!

Studying abroad in Seoul was amazing, and TEAN made it an even easier experience for me to just roam a new country and learn more about a different culture. I enjoyed studying at KU and riding the subways, and eating all of the great (and spicy!) food I could get my hands on. One of the best things about TEAN was the orientation they offered, where they took all of us, during our first week in the country, around to the hotspots, including a tour of the DMZ. I think this helped me a lot with getting my footing within a new country, especially one where I wasn't familiar with the language. Post-program, I think I've become more outgoing, and I'm putting myself out there more. Studying abroad with TEAN was an experience I recommended to anyone looking at studying in Seoul to go with TEAN!

Lauren

Counting Down the Days Until I Can Go Back

TEAN was a great program choice for me because they helped a lot in working out the details and paperwork before I actually arrived abroad. It definitely allowed me to focus on preparing myself mentally for this adventure, and also because a lot of the processes, such as applying for the student visa, were confusing. TEAN does their best to answer questions to make sure there are no hiccups when we arrive in Korea.
The cultural events that TEAN planned were amazing! My favorites were the temple stay outside of Seoul, and the cooking class where we made bibimbap (a rice dish with lots of vegetables). The temple was so beautiful, and we went in mid-October when the leaves were changing color, making it that much more beautiful. Waking up at 4 a.m. and eating all vegetarian might seem super unfamiliar, but I think it's a great way to experience something that you most likely would never do otherwise. And again, the scenery is just breathtaking, so I think it's all worth it!
The biggest tip I have is to just put yourself out there. You don't have to wait for people to go somewhere with you. If you really want to go do something, chances are you'll have a great time by yourself too! Plus, you don't have to worry about whether others are bored, and you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want! I think you grow a lot more when you explore by yourself, but it may be scary to be alone. Either way, the most important thing is to keep an open mind, and don't wait around too long for everyone. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity so take full advantage of it!

The only thing I can say is having a more regular schedule for cultural events. It felt like there was a lull in the middle, but I thought it might be because everyone would have found their own stride and found separate interests to pursue. I might suggest more events but that may not be ideal with scheduling.
Brianne

Korea University- Best Summer Ever

Deciding to study abroad in Seoul, South Korea was one of the greatest decisions I’ve made. This was my first time studying abroad, or even leaving the country, and The Education Abroad Network had an incredible program for me. While studying at Korea University, I took some required electives for my education including art. Taking a basic art class in a different country gave me a new perspective and even changed the way I saw things and thought about things, not only in art but in life too. I grew as a person and became more confident with myself as well as became much more independent. I had never been so far from my parents for that long. I met many really amazing and interesting people while I was in Korea, and everyone’s story was completely different. The schooling was so intense and challenging compared to my normal university, but it gave me a chance to experience the Korean culture even more. The nightlife was another thing I really liked about Korea because it was almost the complete opposite of where I’m from. There, it’s normal to go drink on a work night with friends or your boss. Even if you don’t drink, I definitely recommend going out with friends and seeing the different people having fun together. Seeing people crowd into the subway when it first opens at 5am is also really funny, as some people just sleep on the street. For me personally, 6 weeks wasn't enough in Korea. I had already been interested in South Korea and it was my first time abroad, so I wanted it to be shorter. If you're interested in Korea but don't know if you could spend a whole semester there or if it's your first time abroad with or without family, this is definitely a good fit for you! If you want to have an amazing time, learn about and see a unique culture, and meet amazing people, you should definitely look into going to Korea University!

Roger

Hope to return someday soon!

Although everything about traveling abroad was unique from the food to the culture, something unique to my experience definitely has to be the friends that I’ve made. I was lucky to have met people that I clicked with immediately and got along with really well, they made my time abroad enjoyable and memorable. I still keep in touch with most of them and hope to see them again soon!
One memory that sticks out in particular is when we went to the DMZ as part of the TEAN orientation. It was undoubtedly one of the most remarkable excursions during my time in Korea. Being able to look out in the distance at such a place I’ve read so much about was surreal.

A word of advice to future participants: don’t pack as much! I didn’t listen to this advice thinking I needed everything I packed but I really didn’t. Packing half as much as you think you need is the way to go. As for how studying abroad impacted my life after my time abroad, I was able to make significant progress in learning Korean by immersing myself in the culture and the language for 5 months. I’m grateful to TEAN for giving me the opportunity to experience my heritage at the roots and for easily the most memorable semester of my undergraduate career.

Mitchell

Study at Korea University

Choosing to study abroad in Seoul, South Korea was the best decision I have made in my life so far. If you want to go to a city that is full of life and rich atmosphere then Seoul is for you. The minute I found TEAN's Seoul program I knew that I had to go. South Korea is a wonderful country that is very technologically advance, but also keeps its roots with traditional values and sights to see. There are various traditional Korean palaces and villages to visit within Seoul city, while at the same time you may find street performers dancing K-Pop (Korean pop) choreography. Korea University is conveniently near the center of the city so it is super easy to just hop on the subway or bus and explore elsewhere. The transportation system is one of the best I have ever experienced. It is really convenient and easy to take, not to mention cheap. Eating out is also quite cheap. Korean food is so good and there are many tasty (and healthy) $5-10 bites to eat. If you love the cafe life, Seoul is the number one place to go. Almost every street has a unique cafe, many with different themes. Korea University also has a very helpful and organized international program for exchange students. Students are set up with Korean buddies (known as Korea University Buddy Assistants) and put into groups that you get hang out all semester with and go on fun trips within the city together. It is a wonderful program that makes it easy to make so many life-long friends with both Koreans and other international students. TEAN was very supportive with any problems or questions I had and a TEAN resident assistant in Seoul was also available for students to ask any questions they had about Korea. Overall, I was thoroughly happy with my experience with TEAN and South Korea.

I think one improvement could be to have more set plans for cultural activity outings with the TEAN group.

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...