TEAN: Study Abroad in Seoul, South Korea

Set amongst the foothills of picturesque mountains, Seoul is home to over half of South Korea’s population and is the epicenter of the country’s government and economy. TEAN's partnership with Korea University allows students to study abroad in Seoul throughout the year with a semester, summer or winter term program.

More than 40% of the courses available at Korea University are taught in English, so you can rest assured that you'll find course options to stay on track for graduation. Korean language courses are offered every semester at six different levels and students fluent in Korean, will have access to the school's full range of courses (with a few exceptions).

The TEAN program also includes a fun orientation at the start of the semester along with in-country staff to provide support every step of the way.

In Seoul, I would say that quite a large amount of people can understand and speak at least a little English. In popular areas with heavy foot traffic like Hongdae, Myeongdong, itaewon and Dongdaemun you should be ok to use English because they get a lot of foreigners there. At Korea University in Anam since there are a lot of university students that had to study English back in high school and...

Hi Trya! The cost of our program in Seoul can vary term to term and depending on which program you are interested in (summer or semester or winter term). I recommend visiting our website to see current pricing for upcoming programs.

Meghan

BEST THREE WEEK EXPERIENCE!

This program is one of the best short term winter programs I have done. Korea University has a beautiful campus and great facilities. The professors were also amazing. I was able to take a class accredited for my major (Communication major) and have the chance to learn and then participate in Korean culture. I got an insight into Korean popular culture and how it is influential worldwide. I understand now. It is worthwhile to see the love for Korean culture (kdrams, kpop, Korean health and beauty products) and where it comes from. The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) also was very supportive. They provided support pre-departure and in-country. Before departing, there was a pre-departure orientation where we got to hear about the logistics upon arrival and during the program. We had a welcome and farewell dinner from TEAN. Also, in-country, the resident director was amazing. They gave great recommendations and were always responsive through Kakao Talk (Korea's messaging app). TEAN also had cultural activities as part of the program. We had a movie night were we ate Korean pizza and watched a Korean movie. There was a day where we went to the DMZ and Korean War memorial museum. I felt very supported by TEAN and my home university when going abroad. Overall, it was a wonderful experience thanks to TEAN and my university for making it happen! I would go back and do it all over again.

One major thing I recommend to future students is to get a local SIM-card. This will help access anything you need while out and about: translating app, transportation app, or just finding nearby food. Another tip, Google maps does not work well in South Korea, so I used Kakao map or Naver map. Also, in the beginning I was told there would be a lot of walking and hills to go up and down but did not anticipate to be all over the city. Just be prepared to do a lot of hillwalking. But it is worth it to explore the city.
Ana

Seoul, a City of Possibilities

My study abroad experience in Seoul, South Korea was phenomenal. From animal cafes to nightlife the city of Seoul has a lot of extraordinary events. During my time in Seoul, I got to step out of my comfort zone and learn while living in a completely different culture. Each week Korea University hosted cultural events to immerse students into new and fun experiences. From the first to last day in Seoul, TEAN staff were always there and ready to help whenever. TEAN hosted its own orientation of Anam and Korea University before our official KUISC orientation, which I found more efficient and helpful than the one provided by the university. During orientation, TEAN gave us T-Money cards for the metro, which were godsend to our time studying abroad in South Korea. During the course of KUISC, I made amazing friends that I cannot picture my life without now.
During the Summer, the Korea University campus is full of greenery. The campus architecture makes the University look like a modern-day castle. In the Summer, the temperature is scorching, and the sky is mostly sunny. Located in the campus underground area, there is KU study rooms, a Morning Glory (stationary store), a CU (convenience store), cafes and restaurants, a cafeteria, and KU Optical. While classes were in session, I got to connect with knowledgeable professors in their field and learn in a small class setting, which facilitated the learning process. Professors hold office hours in addition to teaching classes, which are very useful. If you take third to fourth-year level classes, it will be difficult, but I learned great study habits during my time abroad.

It is very easy to get into the mindset of wanting to skip class and neglect their studies. While this didn’t necessarily happen to me, I did observe many peers struggle with their grades at the end of KUISC. Students should keep in mind that they are still in school at the end of the day and maintain a healthy balance between studies and exploring. It will pay off in the long run.
Breaun

A Fun way to explore a new country

I had a really good time attending Korea University over summer. It was really great to experience Korea for the first time with many other students from around the world! While studying at Korea University I was able to learn about Korean culture but also interact with a large global community. Not only was I able to meet many new friends during my time in Seoul, I was also able to have many experiences that I would not have had if I had attended a different program. From big group dinners to our big trip to Lotte World. If you would like to study in Korea, I would highly recommend studying in Korea through the Tean Summer in Seoul program. All of the Tean Staff members are so kind and so helpful throughout the whole process, from predeparture to return. 10/10!

Isabelle

A Summer In Seoul & a Summer I'll Never Forget

My dream since I was 11 years old was to travel to Seoul, South Korea and learn all about Korean language and culture. I was really nervous about picking the study abroad right program. I wanted to challenge myself academically, but also leave enough time to explore and have fun. My university didn't offer a program to South Korea, but I saw TEAN's table at my university's study abroad fair. After speaking with the representative and researching Korea University; I knew that this was the right program for me. My sociology and Korean language classes at Korea University were challenging but the professors were amazing. The town of Anam was also amazing. I never felt unsafe once and that's saying a lot because I grew up in Baltimore. Anam also had some the best & inexpensive food that I ate while in Korea. During TEAN's welcome and farewell dinner, Sandra and Katie ( from TEAN) took us to awesome restaurants. The excursions that were included in this trip were so much fun. My favorite was Lotte World because I love amusement parks. During the excursions you could get to know your KUBA better ( Korean buddy) and then have a Korean friend for life. I honestly don't have one complaint about this program, I would go again in a heartbeat.

My advice would be to try to go with the flow and explore as much as possible. Seoul is such a dense city and there are new places popping up every day. I was out of my dorm every day from 10am- until the subways closed at midnight and I still did not get to see as much as I would have liked to. Seoul tends to build upwards instead of outwards; so don't forget to look up above the first floor of buildings. Google maps and Apple maps don't work that well in Korea, so make sure you have Kaokao Map and Kakao Metro downloaded so you don't get lost. Don't skip out on the excursions because they're really fun and worth your time. TEAN has a great support system so don't hesitate to reach out to someone if you have questions or concerns. But my biggest piece of advice would be; watch out for mopeds.
Mei

One Spring Day

This was an amazing experience! It was my second time abroad with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) and I can promise you this is an amazing program. I was impressed with the amount of care I felt from the advisers and tips that they gave to me - not only for school and culture, but also life advice and wonderful memories of actually becoming friends that still text till this day.

The other students in TEAN were also great, I loved how during the orientation with TEAN we really got a chance to become friends with fellow TEAN students so when classes started we already had a support group. TEAN also did an amazing job at making sure everything went as smooth as possible with orientation at Korea University, classes and teachers. The trips TEAN took us on were all amazing like the trip to the DMZ, to Lotte World, as well as monthly coffee catch ups to destress and get food.

Korea University is also an amazing university that completely enriched my learning, I was able to meet soooooo many amazing classmates and really get involved on campus.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I dont know if it counts, but it was maybe the first month I was in Korea, I was with some friends in Hongdae and we were deciding where to go. The all of a sudden my friend hits my arm and is jumping up and down. In my head I was thinking "what are you doing?????" but then she whisper/screams "that guy is from descendants of the sun" and I whip my head around and see the actor. Never thought I'd see an actor, just out and about...but I did and it was the most unexpected thing but I was sooooo happy.
Sarah

An incredible summer in Seoul

My experience abroad in South Korea was, without a doubt, life changing, and I am so incredibly thankful to TEAN for facilitating it. They provided great support both before leaving the United States, and in South Korea. They ensured students' success by providing them with checklists and other materials early in the planning process, and had a pre-departure orientation that was incredibly helpful.
My class at Korea University was fun and engaging, but also incredibly insightful, and I truly learned a lot. While in Korea, I was able to do a of sightseeing and traveling both within the country, and around Asia.
TEAN's Summer in Seoul program is a great choice for any student, especially for those who may be worried about going abroad either alone or for the first time.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I got lost. I was able to ask for help from locals
Takara

The Education Abroad Network Study at Korea University

The best decision that I could have ever made in my choice to study abroad was choosing this wonderful program, TEAN or The Education Abroad Network. Everything that they offered and did for all of us students always went above and beyond our expectations. From taking a taekwondo class, going to popular and entertaining amusement parks, to having monthly coffee shop meetups, I always felt like our advisers truly cared for us and would be there if we ever needed them. As I went into this program and even my university, Korea University knowing no one at all, I was understandably very nervous about whether I would actually find any friends or enjoy myself for the long 4 months. However, these worries were quickly put at ease due to the many activities TEAN my fellow travelers and I did during the first week we were in Korea, making a bond between all of us that lasted the entire time studying abroad, and even until now, about 3 months after we all returned back to the U.S. I am truly so appreciative that I was able to have this adventure with the TEAN program, and everyone who wants to travel or study abroad should go through this program also.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
While eating at a traditional marketplace with some of my older Korean friends, they made me try this dish called "Sannakji", which are moving pieces of octopus. I was not the biggest fan of this food, but it is really really popular within Korea.
Stephanie

Study Abroad in Seoul

I'd never been to Asia before, and studying abroad in Seoul, South Korea was the perfect place to start! Not only was Korea University an incredible school (both beautiful and prestigious), but Seoul itself was lively, and the perfect mix of old culture and new experiences. The combination of wildly flavorful food, natural wonders, and shopping was amazing! Plus it was easy to do weekend trips to other countries as well!

TEAN made the experience so smooth by taking care of the logistics, and being great with their communication and transparency. I was able to reach out to the coordinators about anything and everything- from details about my visa and class registration, to suggestions of things to do like hikes and rice wine tasting. TEAN was also a great way to meet people, and do activities that would have been more difficult on my own, or that I would have overlooked. Overall, it was a life-changing experience!

I missed orientation because of my job, but missing that one week made me feel like I missed out on half the experience- so I wish some things were a little more staggered throughout the semester, so that I would have gotten to meet people and do more.