ITTT TEFL Course in Japan

ITTT’s in-class TEFL course in Tokyo puts you right in the heart of this vibrant and fascinating country. This thoroughly modern city provides top class shopping, dining and entertainment alongside a unique culture and history. Our four-week TEFL course will equip you with the skills you’ll need to teach effective and interesting English lessons. Our dedicated trainers are with you every step of the way as you complete your training; from instruction on the finer points of English grammar to help with your lesson planning. Our lifetime job placement assistance and internationally recognized teaching certificate will help you find work whether you decide to stay in Tokyo or move on to somewhere new after graduation.

Prefer an online TEFL option? Enroll in ITTT's online course today!

• Internationally Accredited TEFL/TESOL Certificate
  • Life-long Job Assistance For Teaching Positions around the World
  • Teaching Practice with local English Students under Supervision of Professional Teacher Trainers
  • University-based Curriculum

Hi Bryan, the only language required in the classroom is English.
The EFL market in Japan is very competitive, especially in larger cities. Since your major isn't English, it might be hard to find a position without a TEFL certificate. Also keep in mind that teachers with a TEFL receive higher salaries and also have access to jobs at more renowned schools.
Our local staff in Japan will certainly help you find accommodation during the course. You can choose between a couple of options for different budgets.
I have never worked in a private school (Eikaiwa), but I think I would be optimistic if looking to work here because of the ever-increasing growth in the English industry. I would use gaijinpot.com to search for work, and I would also try contacting big eikaiwa firms like Berlitz teach.berlitz.co.jp , COCO Juku www.cocojuku.jp , AEON www.aeonet.com , Gaba teaching-in-japan.gaba.co.jp, and ECC...

• Benefits 9.3
  • Facilities 8.9
  • Instruction 9.3
  • Academic Rigor 6.9
  • Job Assistance 8.2
Jeffrey

Best Experience of My Life

Now I know the title sounds a bit extreme, but it is the absolute truth. This course was a real eye-opener and has probably changed my life for the better. Before taking this course, I taught English in the good ol' USA for three years. I loved my job, but I always wanted to branch out and do something on a global scale. Ever since I was a child, I have long been fascinated with Japanese culture and language, so last summer I took it upon myself to finally journey to Tokyo and get my TESOL Certificate. The education I received was top notch, and both of the instructors are equally hilarious, learned, and passionate about what they do. You could probably get your TESOL another way, but then you would miss out on all that Larry and Dave bring to the table. They really bring the course to life for their students, and encourage them to fully immerse themselves in the community. I even got to teach in a Japanese grade school and a college! As a matter of fact, I'm going back this summer to help out on the course, so if you have any questions, just email me at [email protected] I'll be happy to answer any questions you have!

It was perfect
Linus

Friendly and casual

The atmosphere of the course was friendly and relaxed and over the month I learned many subtleties about teaching and the English language that I hadn't previously thought of. The practical sessions were great and definitely helped to show me what teaching is like and whether I would want to teach in the future. I now feel far more confident in my desire to teach in the future and this course has been a great help in that regard.

There could be fewer workshop sessions in which we worked on several things that needed to be done but could have been homework instead.
Bryan

Stephenson Bryan Review

A Very good experience. A perfect balance between theoretical and practical courses. Dynamic and very interesting courses delivered by very attentive teachers. You are really trained to become a teacher. An assistance is provided at all times if you need help during the program. With your certification you will be able to teach, travel, live and work abroad with an international TEFL certificate.
Thank you very much for this wonderful experience.

Start the courses at 9 am :) ^^
Keenan

Amazing Month

The class overall is great and worth the investment. There are many scheduled times in the course where you practice teaching English, from a Kindergarten (1x), university (1x), and adults (4x). The teaching experiences are very enlightening and helpful to "get your feet wet".

Atmosphere was positive and Dave + Larry (the current instructors) are very experienced. Be ready to do some homework now and then for the class.

The final test could be altered a little bit. I would say more teaching experiences, but that would be very difficult due to so much crammed into the four weeks already.
Nikolai

A great support system

I couldn't imagine taking a TESOL course anywhere else. Larry and Dave made this month go by quick and painlessly. Not to mention for only a months worth of instruction, I feel I have a solid foundation for teaching under my belt. Larry and Dave were a constant pillar of support, helping with anything from the course, to getting adjusted to Japanese culture to finding employment after the course. They helped refine the English skills I had already possessed into approaches better suited for teaching English as a foreign language. We were even given the opportunity to have practicum experience. We taught at a preschool, a woman's university, as well as one on one and group lessons (some of us). Overall, it was a great experience. If you're considering taking a TEFL course abroad, you can't go wrong with the Tokyo course. If you take it seriously, and take advantage of all the resources provided you'll get a lot out of it.

More pre-course instruction.
Parker

Excellent Course!

A fantastic course! The course is intense, and involves a lot of work, but it's completely worth it!
The hands-on teaching experiences are some of the best parts of the class. You will be able to use the concepts and principles that you learn and apply them in real world teaching environments.

The instructors are excellent too. Larry and Dave truly care about their students' success. They go out of their way to help you learn and understand what you need to know. They truly make sure that you are equiped for teaching English as a second language.

Top notch course ! Top notch instructors! Great experience!

Contessa

No regrets

By far the best course that I have ever taken my entire life! Instructors were very funny, helpful, and enthusiastic about what they do. Lots of materials available for student usage and reference. Plenty of opportunities for students to develop their creative skills and become their own unique teacher through lessons with students of different ages and backgrounds. Just be ready for the challenge because it will be intense! But everything will be worth it in the end with the friends that you will make, the lessons that you will learn (and plan!), and the amount of delicious Japanese food and drinks you will consume during lunch!

Mailé

Wonderful experience!

It was a wonderful experience that provided a lot of hands-on classroom experience. We had the opportunity to work with everyone from toddlers to adults. The training was great for experienced and non-experienced teachers alike, and our coaches were lively and knowledgable. I learned so much about English and English teaching, and our instructors were very helpful in making sure we could leave the corse ready to teach in Japan. They offered a lot of helpful feedback to help us along the way. Would definitely recommend to anyone thinking about TEFL Training!

Gabby

Great Program!

TEFL INTL., Tokyo was such a different experience for me. The year before, I went to Japan for a study abroad program in Kyoto, but almost everything was provided for me, but this time, I felt like I really had to be independent. Larry and Dave are great instructors who love to joke around at times, but do know when to be serious. Their way of teaching is not like the conventional way. At first, I was not sold that this course would be worth it, because I felt like there was so little information about what to expect, but it ended up being worth while!
Both Larry and Dave have different ways of teaching, but their differences help, because it allows for trainees to learn about different methods of teaching. Both of them were always willing to help trainees with anything that they might be having problems with. They will stay after class to assist you in what you are having issues with.
I can't talk about if they helped me with getting a job, because I never had that conversation with them, but they are always willing to respond to emails and guide you in getting a job.
Overall would definitely return to Japan to visit them!

Give students more info on what to expect.
Inessa

Excellent program

This is a very practical course that will equip you with knowledge and material to start teaching right away. If you are new to teaching and would like to work in Japan, this course is a great starting point.
Dave and Larry are great teachers with years of experience who are willing to share their knowledge of teaching and insights into Japanese culture. I believe I learned a lot about teaching just from observing them. They create are a very friendly, relaxed and supportive atmosphere. The course itself is intensive and well-organized with theory and teaching practice well combined.
Loved my month with Tokyo TEFL International.

More teaching practice and observation.
Kendal

Excellent for a program for a month!

I really enjoyed my month long experience with Larry and Dave. They are both excellent teachers. They were both very supportive and informative. The classroom experience was invaluable.

I was a bit nervous by starting with ITTT because it seemed odd. But Larry and Dave are great, once you're accepted into the course you will be contacted as soon as possible and both are more than willing to help with any questions and concerns starting out.

The course is challenging for those wanting to learn and are willing to try. Even if you have experience, it is an excellent course to continue your education with.

I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to teach English abroad.

I would have liked more classroom experiences and observations, but other than that the course was great.

Make it longer!
Allison

Great experience!

Larry and Dave are great and really helpful with anything you need! The class allows plenty of support with papers, resume, cover letter, etc. My classmates were also very friendly and willing to help with feedback!

There's paperwork to do, but as long as you dont procrastinate it´s easy to finish on time with the allowed workshop days. I would highly recommend this to anybody who wants to teach in Japan!

Silvia

TEFL Course Experience

This course was a unique experience. I learned the teaching methods in a relaxing, stimulating and productive atmosphere. I realized how hard it is to be a good teacher. This course taught me how to relate to students. I realized how important it is to expose the students to a comprehensible input, personalizing the lesson, maximizing Student Talking Time, and don't worry about the errors. For students is important to use the language productively and receptively in a context, with the teacher as monitor. The lessons were very interesting and the teachers continually stimulated us. Practical experiences at a pre-school and at University were amazing.

Marzia

Nice experience

An intense course that gave me the opportunity to have teaching experiences as an one-on-one teacher, pre-school and university teacher. The instructors were friendly and highly supportive. A quiet and relaxing neighborhood: it doesn't give the feeling of being only 20 minutes away from Tokyo. Thanks to airbnb.com, I found a nice place to stay, near the school, so commuting didn't take more than 3 minutes. The best experience was teaching at the university: I had a lot of fun.

Josefina

My TEFL learning experience in Tokyo

The course was excellent. Coach Dave and Larry are wonderful teachers and mentors.
The subject matter was very well instructed. The actual teaching experiences were very useful and practical to what we were being taught in the classroom.
The school is located in a nice environment and in a quiet and peaceful community far enough from the busy city , making it an area conducive to learning.
The lessons i learned are valuable! I am grateful for the experience.

About ITTT TEFL

Since 1993, ITTT has provided industry-leading TEFL Teacher Training to over 150,000 trainees who are now working in over 40 countries around the world. With a large array of TEFL course options, including online, in-class and combined, ITTT TEFL...