By ITTT TEFL   Reviews (53)   94% Rating

ITTT TEFL Course in Japan

By ITTT TEFL   Reviews (53)   94% Rating

ITTT’s in-class TEFL course in Tokyo puts you right in the heart of this vibrant and fascinating country. This thoroughly modern city provides top class shopping, dining and entertainment alongside a unique culture and history. Our four-week TEFL course will equip you with the skills you’ll need to teach effective and interesting English lessons. Our dedicated trainers are with you every step of the way as you complete your training; from instruction on the finer points of English grammar to help with your lesson planning. Our lifetime job placement assistance and internationally recognized teaching certificate will help you find work whether you decide to stay in Tokyo or move on to somewhere new after graduation.

Prefer an online TEFL option? Enroll in ITTT's online course today!

Asia » Japan » Tokyo
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel
1000.00

You can get by with spending about ¥1,000-1,300 a day on food at the most. If you grocery shop and make food wherever you are staying that helps a lot. Restaurants have great lunch deals as well. You...
The expense of living in Tokyo isn't that bad if you know what you're doing. You can find a room in a share house from $500-100USD a month, and then if you need to save on food you can go with bento b...
I stayed with Sakura hostels. I had an room in a house with other foreigners and I think I paid about $800 CAD. There were some cheaper and some more expensive. As a whole I wouldn't say it's overly c...
It of course depends on how you want to live, but at minimum (in yen) you should expect something like: * 50k - 70k for a single room in a dormitory or someone's house * 250 per train/bus ticket - of...
Hi Kaye, Passport holders from the UK, the US, Canada, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand wishing to enter Japan are generally granted a ‘Landing Permission’ at any airport in Japan
Most definitely not! They encourage you to not speak any Japanese with your students even if you do know it. I speak no Japanese at all and was able to communicate with my students no matter what thei...
There are no Japanese language skills required for ITTT TEFL. You're undergoing training to teach them English from a Western culture's perspective. Although it would be beneficial to have some kind o...
No Japanese is required. It's handy to know, especially as very few sober Japanese people will be willing to talk in English (for some reason their language skills magically appear when they are drunk...
It's not necessary to know Japanese for the course. Knowing some Japanese will make the stay in Japan more comfortable.

Rating Values

Silvia
Italy

TEFL Course Experience

Overall

This course was a unique experience. I learned the teaching methods in a relaxing, stimulating and productive atmosphere. I realized how hard it is to be a good teacher. This course taught me how to relate to students. I realized how important it is to expose the students to a comprehensible input, personalizing the lesson, maximizing Student Talking Time, and don't worry about the errors. For students is important to use the language productively and receptively in a context, with the teacher as monitor. The lessons were very interesting and the teachers continually stimulated us. Practical experiences at a pre-school and at University were amazing.

Marzia
Italy

Nice experience

Overall

An intense course that gave me the opportunity to have teaching experiences as an one-on-one teacher, pre-school and university teacher. The instructors were friendly and highly supportive. A quiet and relaxing neighborhood: it doesn't give the feeling of being only 20 minutes away from Tokyo. Thanks to airbnb.com, I found a nice place to stay, near the school, so commuting didn't take more than 3 minutes. The best experience was teaching at the university: I had a lot of fun.

Josefina
Philippines
Assumption College

My TEFL learning experience in Tokyo

Overall

The course was excellent. Coach Dave and Larry are wonderful teachers and mentors.
The subject matter was very well instructed. The actual teaching experiences were very useful and practical to what we were being taught in the classroom.
The school is located in a nice environment and in a quiet and peaceful community far enough from the busy city , making it an area conducive to learning.
The lessons i learned are valuable! I am grateful for the experience.

Connery
San Diego, CA USA
University of Pennsylvania

Immense Value from this Little, Tiny, Itsy-Bitsy, One-Month Course

Overall

"Coach" Dave and Larry are fantastic instructors who go above and beyond in helping you when you need it. The month-long class went by fast, but I also felt like I learned several months' worth of how to be an effective English teacher. The instruction content included educational theory, grammar, and the phonetic alphabet; and our April class also gained invaluable hands-on teaching experience in a conversation school, a women's university, and a preschool. The experience was indeed intense, but fun as well in a great neigborhood! Highly recommended!

I would have (also) liked a more predictable lunch schedule.
Joselene Anne
philippines

TEFL course April 2017

Overall

Larry and Dave are such wonderful teachers. I have learned a lot from them. They have taught me how to approach certain situations when it comes to teaching and also different techniques and strategies they have shared in our class. I don't remember any dull moment in our course. My most memorable one was when we taught in Kobato pre school. I love kids and I really had an amazing time singing songs, telling stories and laughing with them.
I also look forward to our Mizumoto park trips to have our lectures for the day there. April is the Cherry Blossom month! And learning in the park with all the cherry blossom trees around me was such an unforgettable experience. I'm lucky to have had awesome friends in the course also!!!
We even did karaoke night to celebrate for all the hard work we have done :)

Natasha
México

Best experience ever!

Overall

The reason why I wanted to get this certificate is so I could travel around the world teaching, specially in Asia, and doing it in Tokyo was the best decision I have ever taken. I just finished the course and I already got several opportunities to teach in South East Asia! So if you like teaching and want to travel, this is a great way of doing it! You will learn a lot during the course, but the best part is that you actually get to put it into practice with kids, several one on one teaching sessions, and an english class at a college in Shinjuku. I really I learned a lot from Larry and David, I have already caught myself a couple of times in a conversation using the terminology I learned in the course.

The school is lovely as well as the whole crew. The neighborhood is gorgeous and it has an amazing park just a couple of blocks down. There are several convenience stores, delicious and very affordable ramen right around the corner, and the most incredible bakery to satisfy your sweet tooth! I stayed at Larry's house which is 5 minutes away walking. It is extremely comfortable and Yuko, Sean and Larry will make you feel at home.

Prepare yourself for a lot of learning, good laughs and amazing memories :)!

There is nothing to improve, the course really exceeded my expectations!
Jake
Honolulu
University of Hawaii- Manoa

TEFL International, Tokyo = Awesome

Overall

I recently completed the TEFL International course based in Tokyo. The experience overall was very rewarding and I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to become a TESOL certified instructor. The classes really help you get a much firmer grasp of the English language while giving you the necessary tools to build your confidence as a language instructor.
Larry and Dave are both very generous and encouraging instructors. They make it easy to ask questions and learn at a comfortable pace. The support received from the school is also very welcomed, especially for someone new to teaching. Overall, I rate this course highly and recommend it to anyone looking for a TESOL certification.

Matthew
Lees Summit, Missouri

TEFL Tokyo For The Win

Overall

Have you ever wanted to visit Japan?
Have you been considering getting into teaching?
Have you ever wanted to study abroad?

If you answered "YES" to any of the questions above then here is your opportunity.

To choose a path means to miss out on others. So how do we know which path to take? Will we make the right choice? You have a whole life to live and it's easy to think that in the future we might regret a choice we made now. But when we are afraid to commit ourselves and instead want to follow all possible paths we so often end up following none. To not make a decision is a decision in and of itself.

6 months ago I came upon 2 paths. I could have spent weeks or even months weighing the pros and cons of each. Instead, I made a spontaneous decision and choose the path less traveled. Now looking back that made all the difference.

This course and the people you meet along the way will change your life.

Offering a 4-week teaching practicum after completion of the course. This would allow for new teachers to get more hands-on experience while receiving feedback from supervising instructors. This is not something that I would consider as "necessary" but it would increase the quality and confidence of those teachers who will be entering new classrooms.
Uriel
Menifee, California

Incredible experience with phenomenal staff!

Overall

This class was a very memorable and informative experience. The instructors, Larry and David, were remarkably helpful and patient with the students, always willing to assist us in any way possible. The teaching experiences at the elementary school and at the university were enlightening and educational experiences for us, giving us useful information on how to improve ourselves as students. Highly recommend this course to anyone looking to get their TESOL certification or for anyone trying to improve their knowledge on the English language. You will not be disappointed.

Difficult to recommend any way to improve. I understand that time is quite limited for the amount of information that the instructors have to teach, but it would be great for there to be more time practicing with elementary and university students. Those experiences provided immediate and tangible feedback for my teaching style and i immediately learned how i need to improve. The class is great as it is, and i understand why the schedule is organized the way it is.
Lucero
Nutley, NJ
Rutgers University

It was worth it

Overall

When people are trying to find an educational program, it's really hard to determine if the program is actually worth the time and money. I was debating this when I signed up for the TEFL International course in Tokyo and I came to realize that it was definitely worth it. The teachers' methods are all about communicate language teaching as opposed to strictly teaching grammar rules and formulas, and they really helped us to look at teaching from the students' point of view. Aside from covering all the topics that are essential to teaching English, the teachers themselves were kind, friendly, passionate about teaching, and genuinely interested in helping their students succeed. I really enjoyed this class and am so grateful to Larry and Dave for their lessons and support. I've yet to apply for jobs, but the course has provided me with everything I need: teaching strategies, experience to discuss with potential employers, my own lessons plans and activities to present at interviews, and of course, a valuable certificate. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in teaching English anywhere in the world!

More experience and classroom observations if possible!
Emma
Austin
Texas State University

Couldn't Imagine Going Anywhere Else!

Overall

A great instructor is hard to come by, so I felt like I struck gold with Dave and Larry. I've never felt so nurtured in a classroom. They were very kind and helpful in sharing their expertise with the class, after all they have both lived and taught in Japan for the past 30 years.

If you have any hesitance or reluctance in coming to Tokyo or if you've never been here, fear not! Dave and Larry are at your beck and call with answering any questions you might have about life in Tokyo. I was very nervous about taking the leap and leaving home, so I emailed Larry several times leading up to the program. He was very helpful in preparing me for this trip and my time in Tokyo.

Of course while they provide a comfort zone for your life in Tokyo, what they are really doing is helping you prepare as much as possible for success through this rigorous program. There is quite a bit of work, but the classes and assignments are very well thought out and meaningful. I felt so well prepared for the following interviews and felt comfortable speaking with the different schools and companies, understanding the jargon and responding like a TESOL professional.

I also was able to take with me the 60+ combined years of experience teaching English in Japan that Larry and Dave shared during class. They have some great stories that bring insight and life to what you should expect in a future classroom.

During my time there, I decided to do some volunteer work at a language cafe in exchange for room and board in Shinjuku to save money (via workaway.com). I had class all day and worked 15 hours a week at night and I managed to be successful at both, so don't be daunted by the workload. It is very doable. My sleep suffered, but this was due to my inability to say no to the city and invites from new friends to go sight-seeing. Some of the friends I made were older students I taught as part of the course!

Tips:
-Do not procrastinate on work and at the very least skim the day's notes after class. At the end of the program when it's time to take your test, it will feel like a year has passed with all the information you've covered.
-Team up with your fellow classmates in studying and working together on assignments. It's so much more fun. I also learned a lot from my peers, as some of them had previous teaching or tutoring experience.
-Get there early (and caffeinated if that's your thing)! Some of the material can be dry, but very necessary. Don't waste time, because there is a lot of material to cover and it is all very helpful. You are only hurting yourself by missing any information.
-Have fun (though it is impossible not to with teachers like Dave and Larry)!
-Come in with an open mind. Don't let Tokyo scare you. Don't let strangers scare you. I can't believe the friends I've made during my short stay so far. Japanese people have been very helpful in me getting around when I was lost or wasn't sure about something.
-Study some Japanese. (You really don't need any, so don't worry.) I came with some hiragana memorized and the general greetings. I wish I had studied a lot more. I got by with the help of English signs, strangers, my hand gestures, friends and Dave and Larry, but it would have been nice to be a little more independent.

Just some last bits about the people. I felt at home with these instructors. It isn't a large company so you get that family-run business feel and get as much one-on-one time as you need. They are very accessible and make themselves available if you need anything.

I would have liked a more predictable lunch schedule, but for the most part it was around noon.
Katie
Scranton

Perfect Program

Overall

I had a fantastic experience with TEFL International Tokyo. Larry and Dave have a wealth of knowledge and experience that was helpful to me throughout my time. They have an excellent attitude and enthusiasm that is infectious, and their knowledge of teaching in Japan is incredibly extensive. Their job support was one of my main selling points, and they have an excellent track record in that regard as well. The course is the perfect length, being only a month long, and provides plenty of material that will prove useful in the world of teaching any kind of English in any kind of setting. Along with material, they provide plenty of opportunities for you to hone your teaching style. We performed one-on-one lessons, small group lessons, children's lessons, and university lessons; all hands-on experience. I would highly recommend this course to basically anyone who can afford it. It is worth every penny.

My only negative about the experience had nothing to do with the course itself, but with ITTT TEFL. ITTT TEFL's communication was so poor and suspicious with me initially that I didn't even believe the course and location were real. They were reluctant to give me any factual information about the location and contacts, to the point where I had to send friends of mine already living in Tokyo out to find the location. If at all possible, find some other way to contact Larry and Dave, via Facebook, email, or otherwise.

More information on lesson styles applicable in other countries if possible.
Adam
Framingham
New York University

Ignore the sketchy ITTT organization, Larry and Dave are awesome

Overall

So here's the deal: ITTT serves as sort of a hookup to bring students in to the school, but the actual school is run by Larry and Dave. ITTT won't tell you even where the course is, and it makes the whole operation seem fake. I emailed Larry directly, and he told me the address within the day. I suggest that when asking about details you contact them directly. Aside from that, the course itself was flawless. All of us did very well, and none of the work was particularly stressful for any of us. I had a job lined up before I came, but Dave gave me some very useful pointers on visas and teaching in Japan generally, helped several of the other trainees with their applications, and directly referred one employment opportunity to us that happened to pop up during the month. Some of the other reviews I read complained that the practical teaching was only one-on-one or one-on-two, but this has apparently changed. We each taught 2 one-on-one lessons self-arranged, 6 one-on-one-or-two lessons through the school, one full class lesson at a university, and a section of a full class lesson at a preschool.

Larry and Dave are two great guys who really love their craft, and I would recommend the course 100%.

Have an American phoneme chart available for your American students. We were seven Americans all struggling to learn the British IPA symbols.
Anna

An excellent program

Overall

I entered this program timid, intimidated by the social mores from a country I didn't fully comprehend, and doubtful in my ability to teach English in a foreign country. And I left with more confidence in my teaching abilities. The teaching practice and the observational hours were critical to my growth, and I wouldn't have made any progress without them. The classes were lively and involved. I don't know how to show my appreciation to the instructors, staff, and my peers for creating such a unique learning experience that altered my perspective of Japan.

Please accept my heartfelt gratitude.

Thank you.

Even more teaching practice. Daily teaching practice!
Leah
Chicago
Eckerd College

What are you waiting for?

Overall

Seeing as there’s already a number of highly detailed reviews, I feel as though I have not much to add. Simply put, if you are after an exceptional course offering, look no further. Dave and Larry know their stuff and are hilarious to boot. Tokyo may be a long way away for most people who are fluent in English, but trust me - it’s worth it, and if it’s what you’re looking for and you play your cards right, you can find employment in Japan with the remainder of your tourist visa.

Lamya
London
London School of Economics

Would highly recommend!

Overall

Thank you so much Dave and Larry (as well as everyone part of the TEFL Tokyo family!) for all of the experiences I have had over the last month doing the TEFL International TESOL course. I have now sadly left Japan, but it's thanks to you and everyone at Hi5 English school that my time with you was an absolute pleasure.

The course itself is an interesting analysis of both the english language and how english should be taught to foreign speakers, and includes aspects such as the history of teaching methods, the psychology behind a student's progress in the classroom, the international phonetic alphabet and the intriguingly universal human language of supra-segmentals (which is just a fancy word for tone of voice, for example how you can laugh at the right part of a joke in any language just from the sound of the punchline). In this way, the broad range of the course means that it isn't just interesting to linguists and educators, but that people from all fields could also add their own interpretations.

The actual teaching I did for the course was also really enjoyable, my Japanese students were almost without exception engaged and -in the case of the little kids- adorable! I even received presents from a few to thank me for my time spent with them, which was particularly sweet.

As for the team running the course I could not have been luckier. Despite the fact I was the only student doing the course for the month of March I had plenty of great company and good times! I was even invited to go to the school's annual ski trip to Nagano which was a particular highlight, and the school usually has extra-curricular events, such as the big Easter egg hunt planned for April. TEFL Tokyo is also about a 5 minute walk from beautiful Mizomoto park, a breath of fresh air in what can sometimes be a stifling concrete Tokyo, and I was lucky enough to eat my lunch under blooming cherry blossoms there as often as I wanted to.

So all in all a great place and amazing people, which I would highly recommend! In fact I've begun bugging my older sister to come and do the course once she's finished her degree (so you may need to prepare for another member of the Rais family!).

Thank you again to Yuko, Vincent, Raymond, Olivia, Sean, Derek and especially Dave and Larry for such a lovely experience.
If I were to do the TESOL course again, I would do it at TEFL Tokyo (2nd conditional!).

Louis
Tokyo

Have a sugoi time training as a teacher in Japan!

Overall

Training at the High 5 school has been a great experience.
Learning from the best teachers, having the opportunity on the course to take part teaching in a Japanese school and university, and doing it all with other like minded people who pull together with you through the moments when the going gets tough.

All in all an excellent teacher training course!

I would ask for stricter deadlines for handing in assignments
Veronica
York
University of York

TEFL Tokyooo - (^_^)

Overall

The course was amazing. When I first arrived I didn't have much confidence in my teaching skills, but during the whole course we got a lot of practice with different age groups: from primary school to university students.

Teaching at university gave me so much confidence in what I can do!

Dave and Larry are amazing, they helped us so much and shared all their knowledge of teaching with us.

No way to improve this course, it was amazing! (if anything, make it last looooonger)
Helen
England

Great course in Tokyo!

Overall

being able to go and practice your lessons on real students was great, you are given the freedom to do your own thing within support but not interference. it was awesome to spend a month in Japan and get to know the people and the culture.

the only thing i would have change would be to have more people in the class for a greater melting pot of ideas,
Erika
Seattle, Washington
Florida International University

ITTT TEFL June 2015 Review

Overall

I liked the course a lot. It helped to put the struggles of an English learner into perspective. Dave and Larry care a lot about their students and provide you with all of the tools necessary to get your certification and a functional knowledge of English.

I would like to have been able to experience teaching a larger group of students rather than simply one or two at a time.
Ben
I'm in Tokyo right now
University of Kent

TEFL TOKYO REVIEW

Overall

I had a whale of a time on this course. I'd studied at university beforehand but found many of the 'input' sessions far more involving and entertaining than those I'd experienced while at university. Both course leaders were very laid-back and approachable, and had good senses of humour too. I'll think of this course every time I hear the word 'dude' from now on.

There is a fair amount of homework involved, but unless you're an imbecile you'll likely manage it. I learned a great deal about the teaching process, and many incidental facts along the way too.

MINT COURSE PLEASE DO IT xo

Heather
Warren, Michigan
Eastern Michigan University

A valuable learning experience like no other!

Thank you ITTT!

I really enjoyed my teachers on the TEFL course in Tokyo that I took in March-2015. It turned out to be well worth the value and chalk full of knowledge about the English Language that I will certainly incorporate into my future lessons! I feel much more confident in explaining the intricacies of English to my students, not matter where they are at on their journey of language acquisition.

英語先生-Heather Rochelle Williamson

Rachel
Kanamachi, Tokyo
University of Memphis

This course is awsome!

Overall

This course was so much fun to take! Larry and David are so informative and easy to talk to. I would highly recommend taking this course, especially if you want to teach in Japan. You will have to study though so be prepared to work!

I really wouldn't change anything on this program
Raleigh
Los Angeles, Ca
Michigan State University

Great teachers

Overall

Larry and Dave are amazing people and great teachers! The course is held in a cozy and laid back house. The class size is typically 3-5 people. Larry owns an English school a block from the house where you teach private tutoring sessions. You also go to a high school, preschool and 2nd graders. We had varied experiences with many ages which was a huge help.

Chris
Fremont, California
University of California- Berkeley

My Awesome Tokyo TEFL International Experience!

Overall

Dave and Larry are amazingly supportive and experienced ESL teachers whose guidance on this course on teaching English to foreign learners aided me greatly towards my future teaching career.

From day one to graduation, this intensive program continued to give us a lot of preparation with education strategies, grammar, and hands-on experience with teaching Japanese students.

The teachers are very organized and give us a lot of helpful activities to do. We're put in the shoes of our students so we can get a better mindset of how they would learn English themselves. This is very helpful when we begin preparing our lesson plans and begin to find our own students outside of the classroom.

Overall, I give this program a 10/10 because this is the kind of top notch quality in teaching that I've always wanted in a TESOL course.

More hands-on experience with students!
Barret
Western Illinois University

I learned so much!

Overall

This course was very informative. I thought as a native English speaker this class would be simple. I quickly learned that I had a lot to learn. The amount of topics covered (IPA, methods, grammar, lesson plans, real practice, ect) was very educational. I especially enjoyed the grammar section. Now that I completed this course I am much more confident in my ability to teach English abroad.

Emily
Oregon City, Oregon
George Fox University

I loved this course!

Overall

I enjoyed this course a lot. I learned a lot as well as getting lots of teaching experience with different age groups and in a lot of different classroom situations. The instructors were very helpful with helping us find TEFL jobs, even giving us example resumes and cover letters. I would take this class again in a heartbeat.

I would make the description on the website more accurate. I enjoyed the class, but it was nothing like what the website described.
Nina

TEFL course Feb 2015

Overall

It was a lot of fun and I was able to learn and hopefully grow as a teacher. I look forward to becoming a teacher and hopefully everything that I have learned guides me to become the teacher I have always dreamed I would be.

The class size
Hana

TEFL Tokyo 2015

Overall

My TEFL learning experience in Tokyo was the experience I had. At first I never thought that I could ever be into teaching and being an English teacher, but through TEFL they honed me to become competitive, responsible, professional teacher that I am and will be.

TEFL Tokyo does not only teach you how to be an effective CLT, but they also give you experiences by getting you exposed from pre-school English learners up to college student learners. They expose you to the different environment that you may be put into when you become an English teacher in Japan.

I learned a lot from Dave and Larry, starting from the things that I hd difficulty with when I was in high school to the things that I may use when I go out there and teach. They equipped me with the knowledge and experience that I will use throughout my career.

Larry and Dave is not just an instructor but also a friend. They may be strict at times, but it's all tough love. They care so they want you to work your butts of and be the best that you can ever be. :)

Ken
Temple University

TEFL Is Awesome!

Overall

This program was excellent! I absolutely enjoyed this course from beginning to end, and I felt like I learned a whole lot too! Dave and Larry were quite entertaining teachers in pulling me through learning everything about what it means to be an English teacher! I feel like I totally brushed up on all of my skills that I learned up this point in order to become an excellent and professional English teacher! The whole experience felt a bit difficult and demanding, but overall, I definitely recommend it! Go ahead and take this course, and you'll surely won't be disappointed!

Perhaps make the program start a little later at around 9AM, and make the workload slightly less demanding, but other than that it is all good.
Michael
Victoria, Australia

TEFL course Jan 2015

Overall

this course was very good, I learnt a lot of new things,and was very challenge but rewarding. I really liked living in japan. The course was good offering a wide variety of experiences with different teaching levels.

Cody
Dickinson, ND
Northern Michigan University

Tremendous Experience

Overall

I attended the September TESOL class in Tokyo. The class was phenomenal! I feel like Dave and Larry (I broke the cycle just for you Dave!) provide you with the skills and knowledge that you need to be the best teacher that you can be. You study everything from classroom management to word classes and phoneme. You also get the opportunity to teach real students and receive feedback on your lessons. They prepare you better than I ever could have expected, and they do so in a way that is engaging, lighthearted and fun.

I know there are cheaper programs out there in more exotic locations, but if you are seriously looking for this to be your career, I would recommend taking the class in Tokyo with Dave and Larry.

Also, the neighborhood is extremely nice. It is safe at all hours of the night, the locals are more than welcoming, and the train station isn't that far away from anywhere else in Tokyo you want to visit. It is a relatively quiet neighborhood with anything that you could want or need from karaoke bars and sushi restaurants, to department stores and umbrella shops. I personally recommend the Kanamachi Style restaurant if you are looking for amazing food and great service.

JJ
tokyo

Excelent

Overall

The course I participated in was the 4 week course in Tokyo where I studied towards the TEFL certification. The course was excellent and both the instructors were fantastic. Their willingness to transfer their knowledge and help those on the course to become fantastic teachers was second to none.

I would highly recommend taking this course with these instructors.

More information supplied in advance of the courses overview. Even without a schedule it would be nice to know the rough areas of teaching that we would be tackling before we start.
Cecily

TEFL International Tokyo

Overall

The TEFL Course was very well prepared and executed during the 4week intensive in July 2014. I learnt a lot and the senseis Dave and Larry were not only experts but the way they taught the course was very good for me. I had difficulty with my phonics and grammar but the art and ease at which they imparted the skill of understanding for me was awesome.

They made teaching look so easy so i appreciate them very much for spending alot of time with me and my colleagues on the course. The patience and professional criticisms were good and i accepted them because it made me understand more.

Thank you for everything and i will surely be recommending others to you.
Cecily

For me personally, i enjoyed every aspect so i cannot say much for improvement. Thank you!
BOBGA

My TESOL/TEFL EXPERIENCE

BOBGA MARK.Y

I wish to thank my lead trainer Larry and my course instructor Dave for being a great teacher to me during this course. I appreciate all their efforts and extra times they put in to make me succeed. I cannot forget the extra times my course instructor Dave took to work one on one with me especially in phonetics because he knew I was not good at it. The in-class grammar review and presentation of teaching styles made me feel more certain about the material and gave me new ideas about how it could be presented to students. More to that, this course have thought me how to over prepare for a class by giving me many ideas of how to use a good teacher's language, organize group activities in class and to make the class more interesting and enthusiastic. I'm proud to be a member and holder of TESOL/TEFL certificate.

It was perfect
victor
Japan
University of Alberta

Classroom experience

Overall

i find the one-to-one classroom experience very useful. It provided a realistic teaching environment which otherwise is not possible if I am to do the course online. I really appreciate the instructors's effort in making this feasible.

Tyler
California State University- Long Beach

English Re-Boot Camp

Overall

Living above the classroom really helped. It allowed for more time to study up on the material I was weak in. The course had topics that came back to haunt me from High School and College, but the instructors made these topics less annoying to study. Having an English school just down the block from the classroom makes watching and learning the teaching process very easy. The instructors also have connections to Colleges, High Schools and even preschools to offer TEFL students opportunities to teach different scenarios and age ranges.

Increase the amount of exposure to teaching in a classroom.
Peter
Lewis University

GREAT Course

Overall

This was a fantastically run course, and it was everything I envisioned when I signed up for it. The content was very thorough, including educational theory, the phonetic alphabet, a lot of grammar instruction, and instruction on different classroom scenarios ranging from young learners to business professionals. I also had much experience working with actual students. The instructors really helped me with my transition moving to Japan, getting settled, and providing me with resources for applying for jobs. I used this advice, and was able to get hired as an ALT in Nagano while taking the course! The instructors went above and beyond, and I really felt privileged for my experience. Thanks for everything, Larry and Dave!

Sorry, can't think of anything. These guys really do a good job.
Daniel

TEFL Tokyo

Overall

As I wanted to teach English in Japan, I decided to take this course. I had 2 reasons for doing so
- it would be unprofessional and irresponsible to teach English without an education in how to do so. I've met quite a few people who've just jumped in to teaching without any background and the result is often dismal.
- in a foreign country it's nice to have people who can help you if something goes wrong - and the course meant a month of getting to know other people who teach English, which in Japan is quite important as knowing the right people can change a lot.

On both counts my choice was justified. The course taught me quite a bit about how to be an efficient teacher and what methods are good etc. I expected a lot of it to be about grammar, but it wasn't. The basics of grammar were explained and that was about it, as the emphasis is on communicative language teaching. Another nice thing about the lessons is that they are peppered with references to teaching Japanese people. So the course will also prepare you for the most common problems and errors of Japanese students.
Lessons start at 8am and last till around 4pm with breaks every hour or so. I didn't find them hard, but there was quite a bit to learn. The class size varies (generally around 5 people) but in my case I was alone, as the other students canceled at the last minute.
Apart from the course lessons, you also have to teach some practice lesson in a real classroom. The goal is to teach at least 2 1-on-1 lessons, a lesson in a nursery school, primary school and a university class. So you can see what lessons of various sizes and age groups are like. Of course the school lessons might not happen if the school cancels (I didn't have the primary school lesson). the nice thing about the practical lessons is that you have them with real, unprepared students. The 1-on-1 lessons can be with somebody you know, but if you can't find anyone, Larry and Dave have a whole lot of contacts who want free English lessons.

Dave and Larry are really nice people who are willing to help if you need it. While they can't get you a job after the course, they give a lot of information on how to set about doing it. From what I understand, nearly all of the people that finished the course and wanted a job have got one. Even those who weren't exactly the most promising. The certificate is something employers look for. One thing to mention here - to get a work visa in Japan you need to have a college degree or 12 years of education in English. The degree can be in anything, as long as the language you studied it in was English. Just as a caution to those native speakers whose education wasn't in English.

The sign up process could do with a bit more information - while there is nothing bad in writing for futher information, it's nice to have it displayed on the website.
S.O.
Dessau, Germany

TEFL Course in Tokyo

Overall

I have learned a lot about being a teacher in this course. There was a lot of theoretical input, but also a good amount of practice. During the course we went to a kindergarten, an elementary school, an university and gave some private lesson, which we planned by ourselves. It was really nice to experience how to teach English to people of different age groups. We have also learned how much work it is to create a lesson plan and how important it is to be well prepared.

Bernd
Tokyo

Fun, effective and with lots of information about Japan

Overall

Unbelieveable! I would not have imagined how much is possible to achieve in 4 weeks. It was really intense! And still, we had much fun together. Larry and Dave understood well to make it lively, real and interesting. The best approach to learning seems to be forget about learning. It's got to be fun! So we started even the driest subject of grammar with a game. Thus I lost my fear of incomprehensible theoretical gibberish. No need to prepare beforehand something which can not be learnt anyway. It is communication that matters and rather less form. We stuck to this principle of communicative language teaching which was pretty enlightening to me as someone who learnt English the hard way.

I found particularly valuable the personal experience about teaching in Japan Larry and Dave shared with us. For this reason alone I would not have wanted to take the course somewhere else. My lesson plans did not work in practise. Surprise! Probably the hardest thing for a teacher is to make his plan work. As a novice I would have liked more guidance how to achieve this and keep my students happy at the same time. Maybe an extra week would do the trick?

In my view this course is a solid grounding on the way of becoming a teacher. I highly recommend the course to anyone interested in teaching in Japan. It made me aware of what it might mean to become a teacher and now I see the work ahead. The course book says "teaching is like dancing". The course was about learning the steps. Nice to know that I can come back to Dave and Larry with questions when I practise my first steps alone. I enjoyed the course and will not just remember when I go through my comprehensive notes in the future. It will be a reference for me!

Maybe extend the duration of the course by 1 week?
Matthew
University of Oregon

Great Experience

Overall

Both Larry and Dave have years of experience teaching English to many age groups of kids, teens, and university students. Outside of class time they are friendly and are very willing to help with ideas and in giving directions to be successful.

Queen
Boston, MA
Hampshire College

TOKYO IS COOL YOU GUYS

Overall

Tokyo is like the coolest place ever (but also the most expensive place ever, just a heads up. And for you vegetarians like myself, it gets even harder.) I was a little bit far away from all the super exciting stuff which was a bit of a downfall, but honestly, that's one of my very few complaints out all all the awesome things I have to say about the city.

The program itself is really rad and you learn a lot of neat things about teaching. Larry and Dave are super informative but also really entertaining. Eventually you get to apply what you have learned in classrooms and in smaller, more private teaching sessions, which is also really fun and engaging. Despite all of the hard work and everything you need to learn, it really all pays off in the end.

JapanLover
Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Minnesota

TEFL Experience

Overall

A very fun and informative experience! While there were some challenges along the way, overall the program was very helpful in teaching me about how to become an effective English teacher in many given contexts.

I would change the location and housing of the program.
Kent
Sydeny, NSW, Australia
Macquarie University

Fun and Rewarding

Overall

The whole experience was very intense and demanding, however it was full of fun activties and valuable experiences which is even very useful for me now. And I was delighted that I have real teaching experience during the course which was very valuable as well.

I don't think change is needed, I really enjoyed the experience myself.
Carolyn
Knoxville, TN
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Great Course

Overall

This month long course is held Monday-Friday from around 8am-3pm, if memory serves me correctly. The classes are taught in one of the teachers houses, where he also allows students to board at for a monthly fee. Having stayed in the house was extremely convenient. I could sleep in till last minute, and had a large bedroom to myself. You get to take a lot of trips to different schools, and you also get to teach your own one-on-one lessons and small group lessons. This course was very helpful, and Larry and Dave were both very welcoming. The town that the course is held in is a perfect little town with a gorgeous park within walking distance. I would highly advice going there, just for the people watching alone.

I think the main things that bugged me, was that before I went I was not aware that it wasn't an actual school. The classes and few rooms for boarding are in Larry's house. As a girl, at first I felt kind of uncomfortable, just because I wasn't aware of this. I got used to it very quickly though, and now I actually appreciate that it was in a house, because it made me feel even more at home in a foreign country. Also one other thing, which is very small, is that lunch was at a different time everyday. I like my daily schedules, so that just kind of threw me off. It would have been nicer if lunch was at the same time.
Miranda
Ontario, canada

Life long experience

Overall

Japan was a great country to go to, as it is incredibly safe. The teachers give you everything you need to be successful and they are they if you need extra help with your work. They do care about your success. Larry gave me extra assignments to help me grasp things I didn't understand. The location of the school is Japan is great too because you're always going the opposite way of the traffic in the morning and evening. The class size is also very small which makes for an intimate setting. You get to know the other people pretty well.

Nothing that I can recall.
KSJayhawk
*right now- Tokyo, Japan
University of Kansas

My TEFL Experience

Overall

For the most part, I was lucky enough to stay at the house of the program, so my "commute" was short. Classes started at 8:00 am. They ended at 4*. *There were a few exceptions where they ended early or a bit later. Had a short lunch (30 minutes or so) around noon-ish.
The highlights were the students's (classmates and the ones we taught) enthusiasm and energy. I also enjoyed the teachers and staff members of the school. They were willing (and wanting) for everyone to learn (and have fun too). They also have a good sense of humor.
For me, the only down side is/was not being able to find a job.

More one-on-one practice/work.
Badwordhere
Sudbury, Ontario Canada
Laurentian University

My career path is now set

Overall

Going into this program I wasn't certain if I could teach esl because I am a shy person. So I signed up for this course to see if I enjoyed doing tesol and more importantly if I wanted to continue on this career path.

Throughout the program I had a lot of fun and the choice became clearer everyday. The lessons were fun and interactive, they answered any questions I had no matter how stupid they seemed. And they didn't laugh at the fact that most of us first language english speakers didn't know what modal verbs are and their function in a sentence.
They also helped a lot both during and after class. They answered any email quickly and were alsways willing and excited to share their own experiences (including the embarassing ones ) during class.
During the course we had to do a 1-on-1 lesson plan, this being my first time in Japan I didn't know anyone who could help, so they arranged someone to volunteer and be my student. This person was eager to learn and patient with my inexperience at teaching and helped a lot.
The exposure to multiple skill levels and ages was really helpful and helped to solidify my career path right into tesol.

The only problems i had/have are 2. The first was the initial signing up to the program. I honestly had a lot of heart pounding moments were I wasn't sure I would ever see my money back and thinking it was a scam, but hopefully this website helps now so it no longer feels "shady". The other problem and this one is just my own personal problem is the use of IGLOO in the phonics alphabet for I, this is not true for canadians we say igloo with an /i/ sound like in eat or evening, not /工/ sound like in india. Although most dictionaries use the american igloo, I do not accept this and will not use it for teaching the phonics alphabet. And that is all the ranting I will do on this subject. Thank you
Casey
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Land a job easily in Asia!

Overall

I am going to keep it short and simple.

I started "teaching" in Japan from 2008. Most of my jobs were landed by luck. I had felt tremendous pressure because I didn't know what I was doing, nor did I have confidence, or answers to student questions.

After taking Dave and Larry's course, I felt like everything fell into place for me. This course paves the golden road for your life in Japan.

You meet amazing new people, learn how to teach in an efficient and effective manner, teaching styles and job possibilities, grammar, and much more.

After taking this course, everything just clicked.

I cannot forget to say that you have a huge advantage over other non-certified teachers. Getting a job in any company, school, cafe, or website will be a breeze. Plus, you get paid more money because you are certified.

Go out and sing together more often. (^__^)
NMJapanTeacher
Shimosuwa Japan
University of New Mexico

Tokyo TEFL Experience May 2013

Overall

My overall experience with the TEFL program in Tokyo was outstanding. My teachers were professional, personable, and had many years of experience to draw on. Even though this was an intensive month I feel there was a great balance of in class lectures and hands on experience. I also enjoyed listening to the broad array of techniques and approaches to teaching. Each of my two teachers had a different approach and method to teaching English. Both were great teachers, but it was always interesting to hear the contrasting ways of teaching. The lectures were always well prepared and interesting, but I really liked how we got to get out in the field and actually teach. In this course I was able to get experience teaching a wide range of ages and experience levels. I am currently teaching in Japan and owe a lot of my success to the wonderful TEFL course in Tokyo. Even though this is my first job teaching English I felt that I had an edge over the other teachers that were coming in and even though I lacked years of experience I felt the course gave me the confidence to be a successful teacher. I am extremely satisfied with my TEFL experience and highly recommend this course to anyone looking to start teaching English or gain a broader and more insightful approach to English teaching profession.

I understand the program I took was an intensive four week commitment, but I felt that the instructors should have spent more time on reviewing basic grammar. I had been out of college for awhile and had not dealt with sentence structure in awhile. Some grammar lectures were very frustrating to me because I could not complete the worksheets given to me while the rest of the class was doing fine. I had to spend a lot of time outside of class studying up again on top of the homework I had for class. I think some time spent reviewing basic grammar before jumping into subjects like modal auxillary verbs would be useful to at least gauge where the class is at in terms of grammar ability.
Matto
University of Stirling

Everything i hoped

Overall

The school was a great stepping stone to coming to Tokyo. The month I stayed allowed me to meet some great people who i still see after 10 months. The teaching was excellent and the experience gained in various schools was exceedingly valuable.

Since gaining the qualification, i have found it to be invaluable. All of the schools i applied for looked on it favourably especially because it was focused on Japanese students.

Vincent

Awesome TEFL course

Overall

It was thorough and a wonderful introductory course to teaching English to non-native English speakers. A must if one is considering a teaching career in ESL. It was especially helpful as the course instructors imparted valuable knowledge and tidbits from their own teaching experience.

More lesson practice.

Since 1993, ITTT has provided industry-leading TEFL Teacher Training to over 150,000 trainees who are now working in over 40 countries around the world. With a large array of TEFL course options, including online, in-class and combined, ITTT TEFL aims to support and educate future teachers who wish to gain paid teaching positions abroad. A member of the prestigious College of Teachers, ITTT caters to the needs of its TEFL students, making sure each individual has the materials they need to grow and learn more about English language education. With over 25 international locations, ITTT boasts one of the largest TEFL programs and job networks in the world and offers its graduates:

- Lifetime job placement assistance.
- The opportunity to support yourself abroad and learn a new language.
- CV and resume preparation.
- Access to a library of teaching resources, lesson plans and teaching points.
- Letter of recommendation for future employers.