Get TEFL Certified and Teach English in Nicaragua

Get TEFL Certified and Teach English in Nicaragua

Want to get paid to live, travel, and teach in the heart of Central America? Then get TEFL certified & teach English abroad in Nicaragua!

Nicaragua is your spot for an "authentic" experience abroad in a developing country that hasn't been "McDonald-isd.” Nicaragua is ideal for teachers who are passionate about learning Spanish and for teachers who don’t have a 4-year university degree or prior teaching experience.

You can get TEFL certified in the beautiful University town of Leon, Nicaragua, only 30 minutes away from the Pacific Ocean & surfing. You can also take ITA's Online TEFL class.

TEFL classes in Nicaragua are 4-weeks long, Mon - Fri 8:30 am – 4:30 pm with a rotating practicum schedule some evenings from 6-8pm. Students should expect a full day of classroom work, practice teaching, role playing, and group discussions.

With your ITA TEFL certification & lifetime job search assistance, you can finding professional teaching jobs in Nicaragua & in 80+ countries worldwide!

North America » Nicaragua » Leon
Teaching Practicum
Training Type
Classroom
Training Length
120hours
Job Placement
Hotel

Great question Amanda. The answer to your question as far as ITA Nicaragua is concerned is YES! We have a level 5 accreditation by TQUK, and this certification is recognized worldwide. Most of our grads actually come to Nicaragua for real first hand experience teaching abroad because it is so cheap, and then head over to Asia.
Hi Doug! This is a popular question, and the only credentials needed to take our course is that you are a native or fluent English speaker, and have completed a high school level of education or equivalency. The nice thing about Nicaragua is that an undergrad is not necessary, and they accept mature teachers. Also, the job market lends to a great deal of flexibility teaching both adults, and young...

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Ken

I Laughed, I Cried, I Cursed, I Graduated

What good is an ESL Diploma if you do not have a Bachelor's Degree and are over 50?
Did you know the following sentence is grammatically correct?
He said that, "that 'that' that that" man used was wrong.

How are these two questions related? First there are many opportunities being over 50 with an ESL Diploma and no Degree. I have taught in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mexico and am packing my bags for China. Second, you start remembering grammar rules but now you find them exciting (which I still find odd in my world). You also now know why you should have paid more attention to your high school English teacher. He said that, "that 'that' that that" man used was wrong is a grammatically correct sentence and I now know why. Come on! Mrs. Phillips would be very proud if I had not been chased from her class oh so long ago, but that is a story for another day.

These two outstanding realizations came to fruition as a result of time well spent with the International TEFL Academy in Leon Nicaragua. What easily could have been a minefield of challenges, Heather, Carmen and Jon took me by the hand and led me with great methods of understanding. As I do have the attention span of a goldfish never did their professionalism or skills waver. If I did not understand there was always a new patient way to show me which as it turned out I was actually showing myself.

The environment was inviting and the teaching observers, Luis, Amanda and Anna were genuinely excited to be a part of the teaching process. Post practicum (a word we all learned to fear) feedback was genuine, both positive and "needs improvement", which I respected. We had the resources and hot coffee to get through the never ending supply of assignments, projects, lesson planning, online quizzes and Thursday Night Salsa. Toss in a bit of Volcano Boarding, a few trips to the Beach and the views from the Cathedral and you have the ability to have a life changing experience.

Put your head down and pin your ears back for 4 weeks. You can do this but you must be ready to do the work! You will get all the tools and support you need to succeed. Now it's up to you.

C
Concord, California
Wichita State University

Over and above support

Once I misunderstood the time of an important meeting to coach one of our students. Instead of just letting me miss the meeting, Jon walked to my residence and made sure I was able to get to the meeting. This was a real life-saver. I should have known the time of the meeting (everyone else did), and without Jon's support I would have missed this important session. This is just an example of the continuous support provided by Jon and Heather during the TEFL course in Nicaragua. Whether it was an assignment, gaining perspective on an important subject, or overcoming challenges which arose during the course, Jon and Heather were always there to support me throughout the course. Their knowledge, helpfulness and coaching was extremely helpful to my classmates and me.

Shannon
Chattanooga, TN
Northern Illinois University

I'd go back in a heartbeat

Loved the program. Loved the community. Loved the students. Loved the energy, encouragement, and enthusiasm.

I learned SO much about the values of teaching, and leading a student-centered classroom. When I learned the behind the scenes of lesson planning, it became a fun and addicting challenge.

After my program I went to teach in Africa, but felt the pull to return to Leon and visit the area and people once again. It just feels like home.

You really have to dig deep to find job opportunities within the city of Leon. And it's no cakewalk for those who do find jobs, as they still need to find a second job to make ends meet. That's the price for living in paradise.

Kieran
Stony Brook University

Couldn't Imagine a More Accommodating Learning Environment

I didn't know that I wanted to be a teacher until I began my first practicum in Leon, with local intermediate English students. It was a surreal experience, leading a classroom of highly eager and intelligent students in their pursuit of mastering a second language. Although my joy in teaching that class may have stemmed from a personal passion, I am completely confident that without the thorough training and guidance of the ITAN staff, I never would have realized just how much teaching means to me.
Carmen, Heather, and Jon run an incredible school in a beautiful location. These are people that care for and support you in a way that makes even a very challenging class (note: this is a very challenging class) manageable. From their understanding of the coursework to their overall empathy for growing teachers, they will do all that is possible to help you become an excellent educator.

Be warned that due to the intensive nature of the class it may be difficult to thoroughly enjoy Leon (and all of Nicaragua) during the one month course. If you're looking to take in the city or any other part of the country then definitely make arrangements to do so before or after that month.

Briana

Best Decision!

TEFL Academy Nicaragua is no walk in the park, but the school will provide you with the tools you need to be a successful teacher. After reading a few reviews, I thought the coursework was an exaggeration.....let me tell you..its not. The school is a lot of work, but it is meaningful work. Each assignment is designed to make you a better teacher and provide you with the skills to be successful.

Both teachers, Carmen and Heather are extremely knowledgeable and dedicated to what they do. My school advisor, Jon, was also really helpful throughout the whole process.

I am so glad I chose TEFL Academy and I look forward to using my TEFL certificate in the future. I am glad I chose Leon and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's true what they say-you will used to the heat.

My only suggestion would be to avoid Host Family Maria. It's not much a of host family experience and there are too many rules.

It would be beneficial to provide a list of participants prior to departure. I learned someone who lived 20 minutes from me also signed up. I could have made travel arrangements with her had I known.

Amanda
Murfreesboro, TN
Auburn University

Meaningful Program from Talented Educators

As a veteran teacher with a university background in Secondary English Education and 6 years experience, I must say that this program is absolutely worthwhile. Not only is Leon (the host city) a beautiful and excellently placed tourist gem, but the classes are designed to give you the skills you need to find a job and excel in your profession.

The classes run Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm, with two hours of teaching practicum in the evenings each week. The homework can be rather demanding, but if you're able to manage your time well, you will be able to fit beach excursions and volcano boarding into your weekend schedule.

The directors of the school are two of the most dedicated and passionate people I've ever met. From an administrative standpoint, the directors went far above the standard of assistance. They made themselves available during class hours, every afternoon, and every weekend so that we could ask questions about the course load, finding work in Nicaragua/Central America, and logistics for adapting and living in a new country. Their enthusiasm was infectious, and their knowledge about the teaching profession was reassuring.

The main instructor for the course was probably the best teacher trainer I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I'm grateful that I had an educational background beforehand, but it was not necessary to doing well in the course. Between the course book given and the instructor's knowledge and experience, even students who were completely new to education and teaching were able to keep up with the material. As someone with lots of experience, I found the course empowering and invigorating- every day we learned and discussed new methodologies and practices for advancing our students' language abilities. Aside from the certification I received, I am so grateful I took the course because I learned a lot and re-ignited my passion for teaching.

I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone interested in teaching abroad. The course content is absolutely meaningful and applicable to real teaching situations. The instructors and mentors are knowledgeable in their field and passionate about sharing that knowledge with new teachers. The administration's sole interest is giving practical advice to newly arrived students and hopeful future educators. If you're looking to teach abroad, this is the way to go.

One month really flies by! If I had to change one thing, I would like to extend the course by one or two weeks. As I said, the course load, while manageable, is demanding. It would be nice to cut the day short by one or two hours and extend the overall program by a couple of weeks.
I should add, I would have preferred this not because I thought it would improve my performance in assignments or because I thought we were missing out on material. I would have preferred this because I would have liked more time to spend getting to know the country. You have the weekends to catch up on work and go explore, but you must manage your time wisely to do so.

Stephen

Wonderful experience!

I completed the TEFL course at the International TEFL Academy in Nicaragua in October 2014. It was definitely one of the most challenging things I have done in my life thus far. If it wasn't for the kindness and support I received from the staff there, the experience wouldn't of been as enjoyable as it was. Heather Smith was one of the best teachers I have ever had, she helped me every step of the way until I was confident in what I was producing. Her husband Jon Smith does a wonderful job of working behind the scenes to ensure that everybody and everything is where it should be. The guest speakers we had the pleasure of meeting and the activities the team implemented were very beneficial to my experience. The staff and the program exceeded my expectations on a daily basis and still continue to do. I would recommend taking the TEFL certification course at the ITA in Nicaragua to anyone who is looking to learn, travel and maybe even discover things about yourself that you might not know.

James
Melbourne, Australia

My TEFL course in Leon, Nicaragua

I completed the TEFL course in September 2014 and it was one of the best things I've done. I learnt so much from the teachers and made good friends with everyone there. The support was and still is great and although it was challenging at times, I managed to push through and complete the course.

The school has an amazing environment which really makes you feel comfortable and at home, the students were always willing to assist me with any troubles and everyone was supportive of one another when it got too much for them.

Overall I thought the course was great and I recommend anyone who is thinking of taking this course to do it in Leon, Nicaragua as they will only benefit from it.

More practicum would be nice, but due to length of course I'm not sure how it would fit in.

Aprille
Canada

Love Leon

My experience taking the 4-week TEFL course in Leon, Nicaragua was incredible. It was a life changing trip in which I was constantly challenged. With that said, the motivation and inspiration I felt throughout the course made it possible to overcome all obstacles. Furthermore, the benefit of having two brilliant teachers who gave limitless support was beyond belief. Taking this course has opened up a world of opportunities. Although I could travel to any end of the globe with my certification, I have decided to stay in Leon. Nicaragua has stolen my heart. The only danger in coming to Leon; never leaving :)

More practicum experience. Although, it would be hard to incorporate any extra hours of practicum teaching due to time constraints.

Pedro
León,Nicargua

The most challenging experience I have ever had

Hi,my name is Pedro Alvarado,Nicaraguan.I graduated from the TEFL in Marhc 2O14.Taking this course was one of the best experiences in my life.After teaching for more than ten years,I thought I already had all the skills to teach,and guess what, I was wrong.It is amazing the skills,warm up activities I learnt in the course.I can say how well prepared and supportive Liza and Heather are.They were always there to help me when I had a problem with the things I had to do in class.

I can also say it was not easy at all,classes were from 8:30 to 4:30 every day,Monday through Friday.
It was a great experience honestly,a small group but a nice one.
Another thing I would like to say about the TEFL is that you need to read a lot in order to achieve your goal,getting certified.

I also enjoyed the fact of learning from Heather and Liza.They do have a lot of experience teaching and they know what they are doing.

One important fact of taking the TEFF in Nicaragua,especially Leon,is that food,transportation and housing costs are not expensive for someone who is not from Nicaragua
I highly recommend this course,especially in Nicaragua

Honestly,I liked the program,I think it was great.

So far,I would not change anything.
For me it GREAT.

Marie-Eve
Lunenburg, Canada

My experience of TEFL course in Nicaragua

Hi my name is Marie-Eve, I graduated from TELF in March 2014. It was one of the most challenging experience of my life so far. I found it hard, I am not going to lie but so rewarding.
I got up every morning at 5 am to get ahead of my work and did not leave the class room until 2 or 3 hours after class to be able to finish my homework. Heather and Lisa we're brilliant teachers very different from each other but both greatly knowledgeable and so helpful. John did an amazing job at coordinating everything and everyone. We felt like family at the end of the course.
Everyday we learnt new ways how to motivate the students and ourselves, I think for me it was the biggest lesson. The practicum part of the course is definitely nerve racking, but like any new experience you can only grow and learn from it.
I highly recommend this course to anyone who likes a little challenge. Nicaragua is one of the most beautiful country I have visited in central america, the locals are warm and welcoming, the food is tasty and inexpensive. I have always felt very safe as a woman travelling by my self in Nicaragua especially Leon.

If I had to change one thing it would be to do some of the practicum in smaller classes or even one on one. We need to experience teaching in different context and environment. Although The Centro of Idioma was a challenging place to start now we know what it feels like to teach a class of 25 students.

Clara
Indiana University- Bloomington

ITAN Graduate from March 2014

I completed the March 2014 onsite course through International TEFL Academy Nicaragua. I had an amazing, if challenging, experience getting TEFL certified. Leon is a wonderful university town - you can walk anywhere, the people are very friendly, and there is a growing ex-pat scene as Nicaragua becomes more of a popular tourist destination. Our class was the first to be run in Leon, and we were only 4 students, which meant that we got to know one another very well after spending all day together for 4 weeks. Heather and Lisa were great instructors - they were very supportive and hands on in their approach to teaching. I felt comfortable enough to ask any questions and they were always prepared to help and advise me.
The practicums were held at the Centro de Idiomas, and it was great practice to be teaching real students that gave us an honest idea of what it's like for a teacher here in Nicaragua. The practicums could be quite nerve-wracking, but in the end I can look back at them as one of the most helpful parts of the course. Just don't forget to bring the appropriate clothing - Leon is extremely hot, and most of the buildings do not have air conditioning.
The ITAN staff is also extremely helpful in terms of job support for their graduates. I continued on in Leon after I graduated and was able to find a job teaching at the Centro on the weekends, as well as private tutoring during the week.
You can expect to work very hard throughout this course - I would wake up hours before class started at 8:30 each day just to try and stay on top of the workload. But in the end I walked away feeling much more confident and prepared to enter a classroom than I had 4 weeks before.

One thing I would change about this program would be more variety in the type of practicums we did. It would have been nice to see what it was like to teach a smaller class, or in a different setting than the Centro de Idiomas.

International TEFL Academy is passionate about two things:

1) Providing the highest quality TEFL certification classes.

2) Ensuring all of our graduates find professional, paid English teaching jobs abroad & have a wonderful experience overseas.

All of our staff at ITA have worked, lived &