Free Summer TEFL Program Across China

Teach art classes with Gotoco
Teach art classes with Gotoco
Field trip with the students from Gotoco
Field trip with the students from Gotoco

Interested in traveling abroad this summer? We provide an experience in China, with full immersion, teaching experience and cultural exchange that cannot be rivaled. Our projects allow you to flourish but are also connected with our mission to provide positive social impact. Our work has been recognised through the 2019 China Social Impact awards, an award granted through the United Nations & British Chamber of Commerce in China.

What you get:
- Free placement service and access to support network
- Funded TEFL training and certification
- Free 5 day holiday to Yangshuo
- Free accommodation and meals during your project
- Free visa and flight assistance

- Check our instagram @gotocochina for all the 2019 highlights

Gotoco is a social enterprise focused on boosting cultural exchange and exploration opportunities between China and the West. Gotoco works with over 100 programmes in 70 urban and rural locations across China. Join us!

• Free/funded (*no fees for participation!).
  • TEFL Certification included.
  • Travel around China (dual location projects - all culminating in a stay at our mountain base in Yangshuo).
  • Free 5 day holiday to Yangshuo
  • Free accommodation and meals during your project

• Benefits 8.7
  • Facilities 8.5
  • Instruction 8.3
  • Academic Rigor 7.6
  • Job Assistance 8.2
Lydia

Summer with Gotoco

Going to Hangzhou for a month was an incredible experience where I discovered a completely new culture, made many new friends and came to understand the challenges of teaching English. Although I would highly recommend this program for those in the process of learning Chinese as it could be very difficult to communicate, this did not stop me from having a great time. Days were spent teaching English and participating in activities with children, as well as getting to know the fellow staff. Would highly recommend!

I wish there had been an easier way to communicate with the staff, as they spoke very little English and I unfortunately do not speak Chinese. This is why I would recommend the program to those learning the language.
Jack

Great way to spend your summer!

Amazing opportunity to explore China and experience a brand new culture and meet new people. Also a great way to experience what teaching might be like as a career. Overall was a really rewarding and worthwhile way to spend the summer.
I was teaching at Yangzhou Global IELTS and had accomodation at a nearby hotel and received a food stipend. The staff were really friendly and helpful. There were other interns on the programme which was nice as it meant we had people to travel and explore Yangzhou with.

Lena

An amazing summer in China

The best was to get a view of China that I would not have gotten as a tourist. It was great to interact with the children in class and to benefit from it as a way to learn about Chinese culture while they could learn about European culture. Another great aspect is the diversity of people I met and became friends with during my trip to China. In the summer camp helpers came from all around the world and I had the chance to meet people from many countries I have never been to. It was great to see and experience teamwork with those like minded people as we all shared the passion for exploring and working with children. There have been some organisational issues sometimes but the Gotoco team was always available to answer questions and help out with these issues so that they were solved quickly.

Elspeth

Best summer ever

I went to Shanghai and then Yangshuo (on a second placement) with Gotoco from August-September last summer. There are so many opportunities through Gotoco to work with varying companies depending on what you are best suited to, the dates you are available, and where you are most excited to travel to. I was able to get a travel scholarship from my university to help fund the cost of flights so the trip ended up being very affordable for a two month trip and a free TEFL qualification - this option is offered by most universities.

Alice

Amazing experience; I recommend!

It was a very self-fulfilling experience, and a pleasure to meet people from all over the world.

It was a unique experience. I have learned a lot about the Chinese mindset and China in general. Although one month is not enough to fully understand the Chinese mindset, this experience provided me with valuable insight.

Moreover, this experience can benefit any CV!

Regarding the overall process, there is good assistance for visas and other administrative concerns. The team is really helpful and replies emails very quickly. Despite their workload, they were always available to answer questions and give some additional information.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
What was the most surprising? Definitely the Chinese mindset! It was a cultural chock.
Dominika

Excellent trip

I would definietely recommend going to China with Gotoco. They offered me economic course in Wuhan, that lasted 2 weeks, internship in Beijing and free hostel in Yangshuo. Thanks to those two experiences I could visit China in completly different way. I have met so many locals, that I could speak to about their regular life. It may seem not that intresting, but I didn't have any idea how our lifes in Europe are different. And that is only one thing that made this trip so special. I can say for sure, that if you want to not only visit China, but feel it - choose Gotoco!

Communication between supervisors and interns. There were some problems during my stay in China and it was hard to reach someone to solve the problem.
Dominika

Best experience

It was really nice experience and I cannot imagine visiting China in better way than working there! I have travelled a lot and this was the first time I really feel I visted country the way I wanted to. I had an oportunity to meet locals and get to know how they life looks like. Also I could attend a course in Wuhan, that was a really great thing because I could not only visit Beijing but also Wuhan! I am also really glad that Gotoco offered a hostel in Yangshuo at the end. I think Yangshuo was definetely the best part of my trip. I highly recommend this company, because you couldn't explore China in this certain way without working or studying there and that's what they are offering.

Better communication between supervisors and interns.
Aneta

work in China

It's great opportunity to improve your english skills and also to learn a lot of new things. Possibility to make new friends from all around the world, to work in a great atmosphere and satisfaction. It has greatly improved my confidence and clarity of speech. I saw a lot of beutiful and unusual views and things. It makes me more independent and hard-working person. It gave me chance to contain working, travelling, making new frineds during one trip to China. The best thing of all of it are memories, which are unforgettable!

After this program I learned how to teach kid and adults, how to communicate with people in different ages. It helps me to improve my english skills and to become independent
Dominic

Summer in China

Was a little daunting at first as the prospect of teaching in a totally foreign country was quite scary, but after getting into the swing of things it was an amazing experience where I learned a lot and met some amazing people. I had some issues during my stay, such as having to switch accomodation, but it was handled well by the school I was at. I'd say if you're looking for a way to spend your summer and you're not quite sure what you want to do, I'd highly recommend GotoCo. The trip to Yangshuo is also an absolute must.

Natalie

Great fun

A lovely way to spend part of your summer, I was sent to Ningbo for a survival camp and really enjoyed teaching my classes, you ended up really bonding with the kids there and learning a lot about Chinese culture. We did things like hike, make bows and arrows out of bamboo and make teepee tents also using the bamboo. GotoCo also provides a trip to Yangzhou which I would definitely recommend people look into as loads of opportunities were provided. They were really useful in the preparation for the trip, aiding us with the visa and giving us a SIM card.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Pigs blood - had an interesting jelly like consistency
Katarzyna

Free Summer TEFL Program Across China

I think program Gotoco is great opportunity to visit China in really cheap way. I met there a lots of amazing people there which told me more about Chinese culture and about China. It wasn't just a travel I could feel this atmosphere and get to know this country from the inside. I visited beautiful places witch made a great impression on me. I think it was adventure of my life and everybody should try something like this. Now I have so many fantastic memories and some new friendship for whole life.

Lucy

Life changing trip!

Spending my summer teaching in Yangshuo was such an incredible and enriching experience and I feel so grateful for Gotoco providing me with this opportunity. Over the six weeks I spent in China, I met so many wonderful children, gained valuable teaching experience and made lifelong friends. I was lucky enough to teach in the beautiful surroundings of Guilin and it was lovely to see this side to China.

The application process for the programme was generally straightforward and day to day expenses were relatively low with food and accommodation provided by the camp we were working for. I would highly recommend spending your summer here!!

Imogen

Great teaching experience

It was smooth and organised. The contact from Gotoco was friendly, reassuring, and constant, so I felt safe and happy about going to China. The specific information about my camp was a little misleading.

I would recommend going to teach English at a summer camp or school because it is a totally new and exciting experience that feels very rewarding. I would also recommend the Yangshuo trip after the programme because it was a lot of fun.

The highlight of being in China was the opportunity to be totally outside my comfort zone. Being far from home, immersed in a totally different culture and responsible for teaching and entertaining classes of children, meant I had to rapidly adapt and develop initiative and confidence.

Get information about the specific scheme before you travel because there is a lot of variety between the different summer schools.
Mark
No, I don't recommend this program

GOTO a great experience!

Cover your rent/food bills, provide a great opportunity into the local culture and get the chance to gain a teaching qualification while teaching English to classes as big as 15 students. You meet some great people and have some very different experiences, scenery is amazing, especially around Guilin and Yangshuo. You can also interview business owners in the afternoon and the ability to discuss perspectives into local socioeconomic news.

You can rent scooters in the afternoon and visit many of the unique high-street shops, part of our daily schedule was taking the students into the city centres to interview travellers from outside of China, such as Australia and America. This was a great opportunity for the students to practice their English whilst also being able to talk to other travellers from outside of China.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Fermented egg and chilli. I thought it was green pepper.
Ryan

Great opportunity!

Really enjoyed my summer in China with Gotoco. The work was really meaningful and the locations were beautiful. The kids were very sweet and made it much more rewarding.

joined a program in Beijing working with Wall Street English and adult learners of English. While not directly teaching students, I was able to gain valuable insights into the teaching process. This program has benefitted me by giving me a glimpse into Chinese culture and life. I have met so many new people from all over the world. With some of the lower level students, it was very difficult to explain concepts in English to them, but through trying different ways and acting out words, I was able to become a better communicator and teacher. I think Gotoco will give you a valuable experience in China at very reasonable cost (there is only the cost of the plane ticket and visa), and is a great chance to explore China as a university student.

The application process was quite challenging towards the end