Free Summer TEFL Program Across China

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Gotoco has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Teach art classes with Gotoco
Summer camp in China with Gotoco
Summer camp in China with Gotoco
Sports and activities classes with Gotoco
Sports and activities classes with Gotoco

Interested in traveling abroad this summer? We provide an experience in China, with full immersion, teaching experience and cultural exchange that cannot be rivaled. Our projects allow you to flourish but are also connected with our mission to provide positive social impact. Our work has been recognised through the 2019 China Social Impact awards, an award granted through the United Nations & British Chamber of Commerce in China.

What you get:
- Free placement service and access to support network
- Funded TEFL training and certification
- Free 5 day holiday to Yangshuo
- Free accommodation and meals during your project
- Free visa and flight assistance

- Check our instagram @gotocochina for all the 2019 highlights

Gotoco is a social enterprise focused on boosting cultural exchange and exploration opportunities between China and the West. Gotoco works with over 100 programmes in 70 urban and rural locations across China. Join us!

• Free/funded (*no fees for participation!).
  • TEFL Certification included.
  • Travel around China (dual location projects - all culminating in a stay at our mountain base in Yangshuo).
  • Free 5 day holiday to Yangshuo
  • Free accommodation and meals during your project

COVID-19 Update

We expect our China programs to go ahead as planned. We put our participants' health and wellbeing first, so if there is a risk to health in China, then we will offer alternative placements in other countries, an option to defer the place to another year or withdraw fully. We do not expect it to come to this and you should continue with your application. See our updates here: https://www.go-to.co/ufaqs/coronavirus-safety-and-summer-2020-plans/

• Benefits 8.7
  • Facilities 8.5
  • Instruction 8.3
  • Academic Rigor 7.6
  • Job Assistance 8.2
Ashlyn

Gotoco in Shangqiu

I had an amazing experience with Gotoco teaching in Shanqiu all summer 2019. The students were so happy and willing to learn, and I made so many great friends through the program and locally in China. My favorite part was our “camping” field trip with the students where we hiked, rafted in the river, and learned lots of history of the monks in the mountains. I would definitely recommend teaching with Gotoco! I also loved coming up with lesson plans at the local coffee shops and made friends there that gave me some inspiration for lesson plans. My favorite lesson was having a tea party and reading/ acting out Alice in Wonderland with my 8 year old class!

More clear communication with the programs and Gotoco and the teachers. Our program (not Gotoco) was a little all over the place and it made it difficult sometimes.
Lydia

Summer with Gotoco

Going to Hangzhou for a month was an incredible experience where I discovered a completely new culture, made many new friends and came to understand the challenges of teaching English. Although I would highly recommend this program for those in the process of learning Chinese as it could be very difficult to communicate, this did not stop me from having a great time. Days were spent teaching English and participating in activities with children, as well as getting to know the fellow staff. Would highly recommend!

I wish there had been an easier way to communicate with the staff, as they spoke very little English and I unfortunately do not speak Chinese. This is why I would recommend the program to those learning the language.
Jack

Great way to spend your summer!

Amazing opportunity to explore China and experience a brand new culture and meet new people. Also a great way to experience what teaching might be like as a career. Overall was a really rewarding and worthwhile way to spend the summer.
I was teaching at Yangzhou Global IELTS and had accomodation at a nearby hotel and received a food stipend. The staff were really friendly and helpful. There were other interns on the programme which was nice as it meant we had people to travel and explore Yangzhou with.

Lena

An amazing summer in China

The best was to get a view of China that I would not have gotten as a tourist. It was great to interact with the children in class and to benefit from it as a way to learn about Chinese culture while they could learn about European culture. Another great aspect is the diversity of people I met and became friends with during my trip to China. In the summer camp helpers came from all around the world and I had the chance to meet people from many countries I have never been to. It was great to see and experience teamwork with those like minded people as we all shared the passion for exploring and working with children. There have been some organisational issues sometimes but the Gotoco team was always available to answer questions and help out with these issues so that they were solved quickly.

Elspeth

Best summer ever

I went to Shanghai and then Yangshuo (on a second placement) with Gotoco from August-September last summer. There are so many opportunities through Gotoco to work with varying companies depending on what you are best suited to, the dates you are available, and where you are most excited to travel to. I was able to get a travel scholarship from my university to help fund the cost of flights so the trip ended up being very affordable for a two month trip and a free TEFL qualification - this option is offered by most universities.

Alice

Amazing experience; I recommend!

It was a very self-fulfilling experience, and a pleasure to meet people from all over the world.

It was a unique experience. I have learned a lot about the Chinese mindset and China in general. Although one month is not enough to fully understand the Chinese mindset, this experience provided me with valuable insight.

Moreover, this experience can benefit any CV!

Regarding the overall process, there is good assistance for visas and other administrative concerns. The team is really helpful and replies emails very quickly. Despite their workload, they were always available to answer questions and give some additional information.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
What was the most surprising? Definitely the Chinese mindset! It was a cultural chock.
Dominika

Excellent trip

I would definietely recommend going to China with Gotoco. They offered me economic course in Wuhan, that lasted 2 weeks, internship in Beijing and free hostel in Yangshuo. Thanks to those two experiences I could visit China in completly different way. I have met so many locals, that I could speak to about their regular life. It may seem not that intresting, but I didn't have any idea how our lifes in Europe are different. And that is only one thing that made this trip so special. I can say for sure, that if you want to not only visit China, but feel it - choose Gotoco!

Communication between supervisors and interns. There were some problems during my stay in China and it was hard to reach someone to solve the problem.
Dominika

Best experience

It was really nice experience and I cannot imagine visiting China in better way than working there! I have travelled a lot and this was the first time I really feel I visted country the way I wanted to. I had an oportunity to meet locals and get to know how they life looks like. Also I could attend a course in Wuhan, that was a really great thing because I could not only visit Beijing but also Wuhan! I am also really glad that Gotoco offered a hostel in Yangshuo at the end. I think Yangshuo was definetely the best part of my trip. I highly recommend this company, because you couldn't explore China in this certain way without working or studying there and that's what they are offering.

Better communication between supervisors and interns.