Award Winning Volunteering Projects on the Fiji Islands with Think Pacific

School
School
Helping with exams
Helping with exams

Volunteer in Fiji and experience the unique culture, customs and way of life of the incredible South Pacific islands. Our projects offer you the opportunity to actually join a traditional village, to become a member of a Fijian family and work as a team to contribute to education, youth and sports development projects, which are making an immense difference to the lives of children living in hardship.

A Think Pacific project will take you to a village you can only experience with us, because of our unique partnership with the Fijian Government. Which means you can get under the skin of a beautiful country with beautiful people to make deep and meaningful relationships, whilst making a real contribution to communities that really need your support.

• Partnered with Fijian Government
  • Team leaders providing 24/7 support in Fiji throughout projects
  • Live with a Fijian family
  • Rural & Remote Project Locations
  • Largest Volunteer Project in the Fiji Islands

Katie

One month in rural Fiji

I joined a one month expedition to Fiji straight after leaving school. The experience was challenging, exciting and rewarding. I am so so glad I went. A huge adventure that will allow you to really get beneath the culture of Fiji in a sustainable and responsible way. The pre departure team was amazing and provided helpful and in depth detail that really lets you prepare fully for the experience. Once you get out there your whole project will be guided by the team leaders who have previously volunteered and so know all the highs and lows of village life. The only frustrating thing is that you do only see a small part of Fiji - your village - so I would recommend leaving some time before your flight back to explore some of Fiji’s beautiful coast.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Getting on the flight by myself. Everything after that was so much fun!
Cara

If you have the chance, GO

This was genuinely one of the best experiences I’ll ever have! It’s so different from anything you’ll ever experience in the UK, seeing the impact you make on even one child makes it all worth it. It is hard and not for everyone but if you power through the rough times the outcome is always worth it. You 100% get out what you put in. We were in the highlands and it was different to the videos but still amazing. Just being a part of a community where everyone is so welcoming and warm makes you feel so at home from day one. If you like your privacy you might struggle more than some because it’s rare to get a minute alone. The kids are amazing and seeing the change in a child’s behaviour towards you from beginning to end is so lovely, especially with the shy kids who might not even speak to you on your first day but by the finally week they’re running into your arms is amazing in itself. Overall this experience is tough but it is so rewarding and worth every penny.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
When you have your hard moments really just push through and make every second worth it. Also purify your water and bring a bottle with a filter
Andoni

FIJI 2019 JUNE 26th&JULY 24th

I would like to thank Think Pacific for the best experience of my life. Living in Namuka village for one month, staying with a wonderful family that I can now call my own and working at the local school alongside an amazing team have given me memories that I will never forget. This experience has been a true privilege. From being welcomed to the village on the first day and experiencing Fijian culture in depth to working with kids at the local school in maths, English, sports and other extracurricular activities. From having dinner with my family and going from house to house to drink tea to jumping in the river with friends from the village and watching the night sky in awe. Even more, it has been in Fiji where I have discovered that my passion is working with children. I can only encourage everyone to take part in this rewarding life-changing experience. I can't wait for my next time in Fiji!

As with any other experience, there are going to be challenges! Always stay motivated, be energetic and patient, especially working with kids. The final satisfaction and rewarding feeling are invaluable, and you will remember them for the rest of your life.
Grace

Amazing!

I did a two month project in January and truly had the most incredible time, the people I spent my time there with made it such a memorable experience. What I loved is not only how impactful it has been on my life but also the difference you make in the villages! I really feel as though I have a whole family and village on the other side of the world who made me feel so immensely welcome and loved which was made better with the knowledge that what I was doing was helping them and that ThinkPacific were involved in maintaining these changes through their work with the government. I was in a house with three other girls and the four of us became incredibly close to our Fijian brother and sister and to our grandma. The cultural difference took some getting used to but everything was so simple and joyful! Can’t recommend this experience enough and can’t wait to go back to the village to see my Fijian family again!

Embrace every moment with the families, their kindness, joy and laughter, Fijian people are truly so lovely and their attitude to life was awe-inspiring. Embrace the food and the little traditions, getting involved in grog and mealtimes really makes the time even better!
Jason

Unbelievable opportunity

This voluntary opportunity offers so much variety and enjoyment for many people from different backgrounds of interest, such as drama, sports and music. Whilst being located in remote and difficult conditions at no point do you feel unsafe or alone, in-fact you feel a sense of belonging and unity with your new Think Pacific family and your new Fijian family. These new connections with my Fijian family are still strong due to Facebook and I speak to them at least every other day. Also, the friends I've made with Think Pacific volunteers have become friends for life. Therefore, what I have personally gained from this organisation is more than experiences of a life time and memories to treasure. This is an incredible organisation, which has star dust all over it! If you want a challenge and to do some different, do this!!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Having chicken feet curry was a first. I hadn't has that one before at home!
Honor

Amazing

Think Pacific was the most amazing experience from start to finish. It was brilliantly organised and so much fun. The impact being made to rural schools in Fiji is so impressive and it was an honour to be a part of it. The month I spent in Namuka was so fulfilling and taught me so much about everything from Fijian traditions to Christianity. Living in the village with a Fijian family opened my eyes to a different way of life and a different perspective of thinking and I made friendships that will last a life time. The support given while on project was also brilliant and helped me develop so many skills from teaching 1 to 1s doing sessions on arts and crafts, drama, singing, dancing and sports sessions. I can’t recommend think Pacific enough!

Nothing, think pacific are so good at taking feedback and you can tell they’ve thought of everything!
Aslam

An epic month

The thought of going to Fiji and spend one month never crossed my mind. Besides, being the only international student on project made sounds more daunting. However, TP designs the program in such a way that I could seamlessly adapt and no days of that one month had gone to waste has been full of adventures. From amazing leaders that constantly check on me from one to one session, brilliant fellow volunteers who always come up with interesting idea for teaching materials and to our Fijian family who definitely helped me learn their culture and language pretty extensively. In fact, I’m still able to count till 100 (dua nan drau- hopefully this is right). I’m so surprised how I’m still in contact closely with everyone on project even after a year our project ended. The experiences that I earned were extremely gold and I still cherish till now.

What was your funniest moment?
My Ta (Fijian Dad) doesn’t speak much English except one or two words. And this only happened during our grog session. They’re always inviting and requested the volunteers to sit close to the circle near where the cava is and I always make sure I never refuse any drinks they offer without saying 'high tide'. That’s when I heard Ta laughed so hard while repeating after what I said. He always brings that story up back at home too. Perhaps that’s the two English words I ever heard him said, 'high tide'.
Margaret

Fiji Think Pacific 2019

Working in a different environment and culture was challenging but it gave me the oppourtunity to develop new personal and proffessional skills. The class that myself and Bruna worked with were the kindi kids and not only did I improve on my patience but I develped a new skill which was cross-cultural communation. As the weeeks went by my confidence grew in lesson planning and Bruna and I worked well toeghter which made it easier with coming up with new activities to do with the kids.
As I spent more time with the people of Dormuna Village it amazed how even though they weren't rich in possessions they were rich in life. They lived of the land and made do with the little that they had which was humbling. I also got to understand more about their culture, which I found very intresting because I found similarities with my culture. Overall I would definitely recommend this volunteering trip to anyone as it's an experience that will really change your view on what really matters in life and to be thankful of what we have.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The food was amazing and I got the opporunity to try a sea cucumber which I've never had and it was suprisinly tastety.
Amy

A great experience

Overall, I loved the experience! Teaching the kids was my favourite part, seeing them advance everyday was so encouraging. The Saturday treks could’ve been organised better, the leaders didn’t seem to know what we were doing and it was clear a risk assessment was not carried out. Regarding health workshop every morning, you were left to sort yourself out, leaders clearly were not certified in first aid training (that should be compulsory). It took me a while to get settled into my family, but after the first week it was fine. Social aspects were good, having something to do every night was a good way to unwind. Becoming fully immersed in the Fijian culture was great, they really did make you feel part of the community and the farewell was emotional for everybody.

Pack a load of mosquito bite repellent, anti-itch cream and antihistamines. You will get bitten and in my case I was eaten alive. You don’t need the majority of the first aid kit so half what it says.
amy

Fantastic, life changing

FANTASTIC. Loved every second. Met friends for life. My Fijian family were incredible. I was fully immersed and got to try things I never thought I would. Leaders were super helpful. Booking process I got lots of help, team briefing beforehand was so much fun.
The depth of this programme is great. You get to feel and see the change you are making to young childrens lives.
Sports outreach during the project was good fun, great chance to meet and experience a different rural Fijian village.
Back to basics, fully immersed living, great structure, always something to do - evening quizzes and weekend hikes and visits to nearby waterfalls - I loved!!! I also loved the house cup programme which was great to take the lead and create a dance and song for the children.

Make it longer or maybe cheaper - also maybe more weekend activities.
Emily

The best experience of my life

I can’t put into words how amazing this travelling/volunteering experience has been. Think Pacific is a remarkable organisation built upon experience, research and cultural knowledge alongside the Fijian Government which makes it stand out above the rest. My whole experience went smoothly and I experienced Fiji in a way no other organisation would have allowed. I was welcomed into a loving family and developed personal skills and a love for the Fijian culture. The school/sport aspect is especially important and you are given a real opportunity to make a substantial difference and create sustainable resources for future change. Fiji is the friendliest country in the world, and Think Pacific truly adopt this feature to make it the best trip of my life.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
How welcoming & comforting my Fijian family were to me and the other volunteer I stayed with. They really treated us like family.
Caitlin

Overall an incredible experience

The trip is a once in a lifetime must do experience. Stepping into village life is so touching and they are such kind, loving people.
Our excursions were not as expected unfortunately and considering how much money we paid, i did expect to see more of Fiji. So don’t expect everything that they show you.
Really look into where your money is going before you sign up because a lot of our group still aren’t convinced we needed to spend as much on the trip as we did. Also the kit list is a bit extra and you don’t need everything they suggest- save your money!! I would suggest bringing less outfits with you and buying more than 1 dress in Fiji as it is a lot cheaper. However I wouldn’t change the experience for the world and would 100% do it again.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Spend less on kit list as a lot of things were not needed- less clothing for girls suggested. Some medicine we were told to bring, we then got told not to use.
Sabrina

Think Pacific

Everyone was so welcoming, a family within a family. Meeting new people and being introduce to a new family was an amazing experience. An experience that I will always remember. Learning about the different cultures, traditions and teaching in schools. The children wanting to be involve in everything from English teaching to playing netball and rugby. Additionally being part of another family, being invited with arms open. Having sibling that want to play with you, your mum teaching you how to cook traditional Fijian food, as well as teaching their language.
One think i will remember from this trip is not to treat things for granted and be more adventurous and imaginative with everything in life. Being more caring and open, and enjoy every second.

More information about the home stay, for example what other previous volunteers found hard or easy
Alaw

Best experience ever

Our volunteering project in Tailevu was by far one of the best experiences of my life; we lived with the best people and made the best friends over our one month project. The friendliness of the villagers and the eagerness of the children and teachers in school made the whole project so awarding and worthwhile.

Eating Fijian food and following Fijian customs and traditions meant so much to our families in the village and it was a great way of building a relationship with them. Having respected their way of life and immersed ourselves into it completely meant that we certainly got the most out of our time there.

The project allows you to make great friends, even better memories and experiences I’ll cherish forever. I’d recommend the project to any and all of my friends without any hesitation.

Might help to give a better insight into where exactly we’re going before travelling out to Fiji so our families at home are more at ease
Beth

Think Pacific

An amazing experience for my whole group... such variety in personalities between us and yet all of us had an amazing time! Being immersed in the culture and traditions of the village within a family was a once I a lifetime experience. The support network around us was great and the portal of information before we left the uk was very valuable. The village life was challenging but in a good way, just enough to push you outside your comfort zone. The school life was amazing but the preplanning visits could have been better as the teachers didn’t understand our role. But the sports coaching and house cup was fantastic and we could see a real difference from the start to the end of the three weeks. Overall an absolutely amazing once in a lifetime experience!! Would recommend to everyone.

Don’t say no to anything... try everything at least once and you’ll make some unforgettable memories

Location:
Nadi International Airport
( NAN )
Nausori International
( SUV )

If you love being outdoors and in the water, Fiji will be your new favorite place. Whether you are an adrenaline junky and want parasailing or shark feeding; or you just want to relax and snorkel in the pristine water, Fiji caters all travel styles.

Alumni Interviews

About Think Pacific

Volunteer in Fiji on a life-changing expedition. See Fiji through the eyes of local people and live at the heart of a remote Fijian village. Make lifelong friendships and shared memories on a challenging team project. Volunteer with children through...