Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Italy from $685

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Italy and 40+ other destinations around the world.

As an IVHQ volunteer in Italy, you can choose to volunteer in Rome or volunteer in Naples and give back for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer apartment, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Italy, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Italy:

• NGO Support (Rome & Naples)
  • Animal Care (Rome)
  • Special Needs Support (Rome)
  • Sports (Rome)
  • Teaching English (Naples)
  • After School Care (Naples)
  • Environmental (Naples)
  • IVHQ’s Italy program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $685 for 2 weeks - we provide the most affordable and top-rated programs around the world.
  • You’ll be joining between 10 and 40 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Italy each month.
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 80,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization.
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs.

Definitely not- most of the volunteers spoke basic Italian or learned their first words there. That being said, I went into the program fluent in Italian and I felt I got a lot more out of it and was able to help the kids more.
Hi Hannah! Children volunteering as part of a group with adult minders, or with a parent, guardian or family member who is 18 years or over, are eligible to participate on an IVHQ program. When a volunteer under the age of 18 applies to volunteer with IVHQ, it is important that the name of their minder is noted on their application, so we know that they are eligible to volunteer and our local team...
Hi Konstantina, We welcome volunteers from all the globe and you are very welcome to volunteer in your home country. Jordan McFadyen IVHQ Community Manager
The program is available for anyone over the age of 18! If you have a guardian, a group, or family member that is over 18, then you can participate. Hope that helps!

Ava

IVHQ Italy

My experience with IVHQ was truly unforgettable. I got to spend 5 weeks in Naples, Italy volunteering with World Wildlife Fund. While there, I helped with trail restoration, wildfire prevention, and social media output. Being able to help such wonderful, passionate people who work for such a renowned NGO was truly more than I ever expected, especially for the small amount of money IVHQ charges for such an international experience. One of my biggest fears about this program was its location: Naples, Italy. I have heard many stories about this city, mostly revolving around its dirtiness and danger. However, I had nothing but positive experiences while exploring the amazing place of Napoli. Also, if any problems ever were to arise, I know that the IVHQ staff would be supportive and helpful. Overall, really recommend this program.

Amanda

Volunteer with IVHQ

This experience was amazing. Everything was so organized and safe. No matter what someone was always there to answer any questions we had. I volunteered in Naples, Italy, and fell in love with a culture, a country, and it's people. I have no choice but to go back. The program was amazing and the kids were so grateful and easy to work with. If you're thinking about volunteering, don't even think twice, just dive right in and you will have no regrets. IVHQ participants will always be there to help you out.

Honestly, I have nothing to say for improvement
Melissa

Naples, Italy

I highly recommend the IVHQ volunteer experience in Naples, Italy. The local staff were great with making sure we were comfortable at the accommodations as well as at the volunteer placement. They were always present and very easy to communicate with. My placement worked with teaching English to teenage immigrants. However, I think these students taught me far more than I did them. This experience will have a lasting impact on me.

They don't give you a whole lot of details of where you'll be placed before going.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your review! It's awesome to hear you have had such a memorable experience in Italy. I do hope you volunteer with us again in the future. ^Meika - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Sarah

Naples, Italy

I went into this adventure with no expectations & an open mind & IVHQ & the International Napoli Network blew me away. The program in Naples is absolutely incredible and the people are as well. The month I spent in Italy was filled with so much joy. Through my placement I was able to meet people from all walks of life, who welcomed us with open arms. These people have gone through so much in life, yet they still show up every day ready to greet you with a smile.

Put yourself out there & learn as much as you can from them, embrace their culture fully & you will have the time of your life.

I am walking away with so much knowledge, friendships, and a brighter outlook. I am eager to get back to Naples & experience it all over again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, thank you for writing such an encouraging review. It's always great to see volunteers being open-minded and excited about their volunteer experience. I look forward to having you volunteer with us again in the future. ^ Meika - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Kristine

IVHQ ITALY

I loved this program. The accommodation was in a great location in Naples. Everything was in walk distance and the staff was very helpful with recommending things to do in the area. Personally, volunteering was the highlight of my stay. The children were eager to meet volunteers from all over the globe and the classrooms benefited from having extra hands on deck. We did a range of activities with the kids such from playing soccer to doing puzzles. No matter what the entertaining the kids was the top priority and doing in the beautiful city of Naples was just an extra perk.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kristine, thanks so much for your wonderful review! It's great to hear you enjoyed your time in Naples and with the children as well. We look forward to having you back to volunteer with IVHQ soon. ^Mekia - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Tarika

An Experience I Cherish!

My time volunteering in Naples, Italy with IVHQ and the local team at INN is an experience that I hold extremely close to my heart!

I applied for the Environmental Project for 2 months, and the team provided me with all the help before departure, including help with the visa. My work involved helping with the animals in a farm that was located on a hill that overlooked the gorgeous city of Napoli and the sea! It was such an awarding experience to help with the animals at the farm, I felt so much at peace whenever I was there. The local staff was always there to help you in any aspect and they make sure you feel at home! The best part is how the atmosphere there is very positive and pleasant, the local people are great and always ready to help with a smile.

Naples is definitely a city to go with an open mind and get lost in its beauty while exploring, and the location where the accommodation is located is in a wonderful area full of young people, plus there is also the chance to visit so many nearby cities during the weekends. Add to that the delicious food that you will never get bored of!

Volunteering in Naples is an experience that will leave you with friends that you will always stay in touch with, a lot of cultural immersion, immense personal growth, and a definite wish to return. I could not have asked for a better 2 months, and wish to be back soon !!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tarika - I loved reading about your time in Naples, and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your 2 months on the program! Naples really is a special place and our local team will be thrilled to hear that you felt at home during your time with them. I wish you all the best, and hope to have you join us again in the future. ^Kaila - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Jessica

Can't wait to go again!

After an incredible three weeks on the environmental project in Napoli it was extremely difficult to pack up and head home. Doing this programme has been without doubt one of the best decisions I've made during my year abroad, and was an absolutely perfect way to spend most of January. Wowed by the beautiful weather and the vibrant, bustling city, I have definitely caught the IVHQ bug and am already saving up for where to go next! I was so humbled by the wonderful support of the INN staff, and very grateful for the amount of careful thought that went in to selecting my volunteer placement. Working in a community garden that was once simply a rubbish dump in the centre of Napoli was a superb experience, with lots of wonderful friends made, and the freedom to contribute ideas and receive useful feedback. I felt I had the flexibility to set my own goals while working for the organisation, and I left feeling I had contributed positively to the garden's development as a fantastic resource for the community.
In terms of living in Napoli- I can't emphasise enough how important it is to go and see a place for yourself rather than learning about it second-hand via its reputation. Napoli is a beautiful city, with some of the most genuine and kindly people I have ever met. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to speak with lots of locals and improve my Italian also- it's surprising how quickly you can advance if you put your mind to it and be brave! If you're a keen traveller like myself, it's so easy to train to Rome and Florence, and make sure you visit Capri, Procida and Ischia islands, as well as the gorgeous seaside town of Sorrento! One of my favourite memories was hiking Mount Vesuvius in the early morning then visiting the ruins of Herculaneum with my two best friends on the programme, a truly magical day! I left the programme with what I'm sure will be lifelong friends, as well as a new, more informed idea of life in communities which are not as privileged as my own. I was continuously humbled and amazed by the positivity and motivation of members of the community to improve conditions and create something beautiful for future generations, and I was honoured to be a part of it!

Nothing comes to mind, I had a mindblowing three weeks in Napoli, and will be recommending the programme to all my internationally minded friends!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for such a fantastic review, Jessica! I am so happy that you had an incredible time on our program in Naples - it sure is an awesome city! It's wonderful that you were able to take so much away from the experience and we can't wait to have you back for another IVHQ program soon. ^Kaila - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Laura

Laura inspired

This was my first international trip and volunteer program. I was nervous but felt it would be a eye opening experience. IVHQ led in Italy by Teresa was amazing. Her staff made me feel comfortable and safe from the first meeting. I had the greatest time working with kids under 18 and they had different experiences they shared that I will never forget. My two weeks there I felt supported and appreciated and learned so much. My eyes weren’t the only thing opened my heart was moved with compassion for others. I would do it again in a heartbeat because I know I touched lives by teaching . IVHQ Italy they care period also the International Naples network they believe in changing lives and I’ve been changed too. The culture was different you adjust quickly, definitely know some Italian, and I walked around by myself a lot around Dante square during day. I had time off enough to enjoy my weekends and the beach. You won’t regret it .

Bring more awareness to locals they wanted to know more and were grateful for our participation.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura - I loved reading about your time in Italy! It's amazing to hear that your time working with the children allowed you to create memories you will never forget, and I'm so pleased you felt your contribution to the program was supported and appreciated. There's certainly no shortage of things to do and see in your spare time too, so it's awesome that you were able to make the most of your spare time in Naples by visiting some of the local tourist sites. We hope to have you join us again soon!

Jillisa

My First Time

As it was my first time being to a European country, everything was different and new to me; for example the food (gelato is great) and the way of life in Italy(Italians love sleeping after meals). My particular program was the teaching English one. I taught English to minors between the average ages of 15 and 17. They were all boys and they were very nice and appreciative for the volunteers who helped them with their English. In return I learned some Italian, French and Spanish from them and also became more thankful for the life that I have; when I talked to these boys who were nearly my age about their life stories, it was very appalling that these young boys who had no physical support system with them, and whose families were depending on them to help their family to succeed through going to another country and by making use of the opportunities offered, never gave up hope and most of them were determined to make a better life for themselves and their families. Henceforth, this program gave me a greater respect for all people, no matter what backgrounds that they may have came from and it made me want to do what ever I can to help these people! I am thankful for the impactful experience that this program has given me and now I left as a more independent individual, a more empathetic individual and a more compassionate and loving individual!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jillisa, Thanks for sharing! It is really heartwarming to hear about the lessons you learnt while volunteering abroad in Italy and we are sure that your support at the project was also much appreciated. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again the future!

Jess

IVHQ Naples, Italy

I volunteered in the after school care program for two weeks, Since it was the summer the children aren't in school. I absolutely loved my time with the children, we spent most of our time in the park where they played soccer, zumba, fencing, jump rope and any other game they could think of. I spoke no Italian but this did not effect my time with the children as much as I thought it would. The main thing I loved about my experience there was experiencing the Italian culture, I am from a small town in New Zealand and I spent most of my time watching the interactions of the children and their supervisors.
The IVHQ Inn was amazing too. All the people involved, staff and the other volunteers were amazing and I have made some life long friends! Everyone is like-minded and very friendly. The only regret I had after my time there is that 2 weeks is definitely not long enough! But my experience there was life-changing and I recommend doing this program, or any program with IVHQ as your time there will be amazing and you will never regret going!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jess, We are so glad to hear that you loved spending time with the children at the after school program in Italy. Thanks for embracing the Italian culture and for engaging with the local team and other volunteers on the program. It as been a pleasure to have you volunteer with us and we hope you will join us again in the future!

Alexandra

Wonderful Two Weeks

Even though my time spent in the IVHQ Naples afterschool program was short, it was absolutely worth it. I lived in a beautiful apartment in the center of the city with 11 other volunteers who I became very close friends with. When you take a group of people from all over the world who are experiencing a culture together and who have the common interest of being abroad and doing good, a deep bond is made very quickly. At the beginning I didn't know what to expect, but upon my arrival at the INN I was welcomed into the community of young people in different volunteer placements and at the end of each day looked forward to our dinners together and talks up on the terrace of our apartment, exchanging stories about our placements, the funny bits of Italian culture we experienced, and some deep conversations about travel and what we wanted to do with our lives.
The first weekend I was there we traveled as a group to the walk of the gods in Positano and then had a picnic on the beach, and the second weekend we swam in the crystalline waters of Gaiola! There is so much to see in the area, and you will have plenty of free time either before or after your placement, so I highly recommend you take advantage of it.
I also highly recommend the afterschool program, but would also advise prospective volunteers to have at least a basic knowledge of Italian before jumping into it. I have lived in Italy for a while and speak fluent Italian, and since the children don't have a good enough understanding of English to translate or want to translate, I was very grateful to know the language and it allowed me to make connections with the kids easily. The afterschool program is divided into three sections (ages 7-9, ages 9-11, ages 12-16) and the first few days were divided among these three sections, getting to know the kids and the afterschool teachers from each section. The program went from 3-7 and involved helping the kids with homework (I liked to play a game where I would write a word in English and then the kid would have to write the word in Italian and then dialect. The kids were excited to teach me their dialect, and I was happy to learn!), then a snack time (one little girl got particularly attached to me and made me sit next to her during snack time and share her panino every day), then various activities (games, dancing, arts and crafts). This was all run by the staff at the afterschool center, which took some of the pressure off of the volunteers and allowed us to sit with the kids and make connections rather than having to worry about being in charge. Future participants should know that it is normal in Italian culture to be very loud and expressive, and should expect a lot of noise during the program, as well as a fair amount of chaos. One of my favorite memories was distracting the most rambunctious kids in the group by having an arm wrestling competition. With this as a distraction, the troublemakers were having safe fun and the rest of the kids could focus!
The support at INN and IVHQ was wonderful, and I often interacted with the employees around the housing. I highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to live in the crazy city of Naples (yes it is dirty and loud, but I never once felt unsafe and made so many connections with workers in cafes, bars, and delis, and people I met on the street! Plus the city is cheap and the food is the best in Italy) and is willing to make an effort to integrate themselves into their placement. It is your participation and eagerness to be involved that determines your success in the program! This program impacted my life greatly by showing me that I want to work with kids and that I love Naples. In fact, I am thinking of studying pedagogy in Naples next year! I also gained some amazing friends from my fellow volunteers. I traveled with two of them after the program ended and soon will be going to visit another! For anyone considering this program, I beg of you please do it and throw yourself fully into the experience.

I would recommend Italian lessons or requiring a basic understanding of the language. I also think more information on the specific program and housing could be shared before the program starts.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexandra, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you had a worthwhile and inspiring time on the IVHQ Italy program. Is sounds like you made the most of the program location with weekend trips with the other volunteers and spending you free time exploring the city and enjoying the delicious food. Thanks for encouraging others to join the program and thanks for being an IVHQer!
Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Angela Psalti
Angela

Felt like a second home away from home !

I choose to do the Teaching English program this November and I have absolutely no regrets! It has been one of the best things I have ever done in my life. The IVHQ program prepares you well for first-time volunteers, especially the online training before travelling. The IVHQ Inn staff are so welcoming, supportive and are there for you whether its for feedback or to have a chat. I was extremely satisfied with my experience in the project. I was by the end involved in two meaningful projects teaching english to secondary students and teaching english to adults who are refugees or homeless in the last week of my placement, which was a nice surprise. You know its a great program when you feel like you are making a difference even in the slightest way.

There was of coarse some challenges along the way. Theres the fear of doing something new in a place you are not familiar with, or going to placement every day not knowing what to expect, trying to communicate with or understand the culture and the people and change of plans in your project. But for me that is when i grew as a person the most and I learnt the most.

Overall, its a very well-organised program and ensures that you are satisfied and any issues are resolved, for example the email to check up on your experiences beginning, middle and end of program. I have more confidence in life, I am more culturally aware, adaptable, independent and have become a better person because of this program and more knowledge of teaching english. Thanks IVHQ for a wonderful experience!

There is not much. A suggestion is an IVHQ wallet-card with a list of all emergency contact numbers in the country you have chosen and the volunteers can carry it with them...even if its something we can just print ourselves at home.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Angela, We are thrilled to hear that you have no regrets! Thanks for choosing to volunteer in Italy with IVHQ and for making the most of your program by being involved in two different projects. We agree that it is often the challenges we face that help us to grow and we are so happy to hear that you responded courageously to the challenges you encountered. Thank you for being a wonderful IVHQ volunteer.
Kaila – IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Mariana

My month in Naples was amazing. The airport pick up service was great. The accommodation is very nice, clean and with a great location, right on Naples historic center. The view from the rooftop is unbeliveable. The staff there is really helpful, they made me feel at home since day one. Naples is a very interesting city with many things to offer and close to a lot of other beautiful places you can visit during the weekend. Neapolitan food is just perfect and neapolitans are incredibly kind and friendly people. The work at your placement can be very rewarding if you really put your heart into it. Thank you Naples for such an unforgettable experience.
I will definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to volunteer abroad.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mariana, Thanks for your recommendation. We are so glad that you had an amazing time in Naples and enjoyed the volunteer work, accommodation view and the food! It is great to hear that the local team were really helpful and made you feel at home. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Abdulmehsen

Unforgettable experience in Napoli

I have been to Italy many times before, but that particular trip to Napoli is my favorite so far. It was very exceptional; the sweetest ever Italians in International Napoli Network will make you feel at home from the first second you arrive. They will explain to you everything you need to know about Italy in general and Napoli in specific, what they expect from you and even the necessary Italian language you need to carry out simple conversations with locals. People in Napoli are very friendly and well known for their hospitality and respect to people from other cultures. Ohhh, and in case you’re reading this to hear about food? Trust me, you won’t have any idea how pizza tastes like until you go there!
Besides, our delicious meals always arrived on time and some meals were prepared according to volunteers’ requests (e.g. vegetarian).

In case you are not sure whether you will do well in your placement, I would definitely advise not to worry at all.

I had no previous experience in teaching English before, but the motivating words and continuous support from INN is all what I needed to succeed in teaching middle school students.

In short, I can’t wait to apply again! ☺

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Abdulmehsen, Thanks for posting a great review from your time in Napoli. We couldn’t agree with you more - how good is the pizza and the gelato!? We are so glad that you were successful in your teaching placement with the support of the local team. It will be awesome to have you join us again.

Adrian

Napoli, The Kingdom of Naples

When people told me of the border between north and south, I did not believe such a thing existed. The touristy north is beautiful however the language south is heard.
Warm, alive and Aloud!
Owhhh, chiama Napule’

I participated in a volunteer project that I believe was helping the local community. Instead they’ve helped change the very meaning of life and its existence I once thought. Seeing the smiles of joy and hope from the people where unfortunately a government flawed with corruption reigns is a great thing.

There are many trying and hoping for Italy. Ivan, Sara and Chiara, a very big thank you for your hospitality, guidance through your city, and most importantly for giving me the opportunity to give where it’s needed.

Cin cin!

I'm pretty happy as it is.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your beautiful review, Adrian. We’ve loved having you as an IVHQ volunteer and we hope to have you join us again in the future.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...