Affordable Volunteer Programs in Italy from $685

Affordable Volunteer Programs in Italy from $685

Volunteer in Italy with IVHQ! Every year, hundreds of volunteers join IVHQ's highly affordable volunteer projects. Here volunteers assist on a range of community-driven projects in Italy's capital of Naples. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 24 weeks and are accommodated in volunteer houses alongside other international volunteers. While Italian is not required in order to participate on the program, volunteers can enjoy taking discounted Italian lessons during their time on the program.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Italy:

• Teaching English
  • After School Care
  • NGO Support
  • Environmental

• Programs available year-round, starting the first and third Monday of every month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $685 for 2 weeks
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Affordable Italian language lessons available in Italy
  • Between 10 and 28 IVHQ volunteers start in Italy each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Italy with fellow volunteers - visit Rome, Mt Vesuvius, the Almalfi Coast and more!
Europe » Italy » Naples
Italy Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

The program is available for anyone over the age of 18! If you have a guardian, a group, or family member that is over 18, then you can participate. Hope that helps!
According to https://www.volunteerhq.org/volunteer-in-italy, "Volunteers can choose to volunteer for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks". Hope that helps!

Laura
Massachusetts

Laura inspired

This was my first international trip and volunteer program. I was nervous but felt it would be a eye opening experience. IVHQ led in Italy by Teresa was amazing. Her staff made me feel comfortable and safe from the first meeting. I had the greatest time working with kids under 18 and they had different experiences they shared that I will never forget. My two weeks there I felt supported and appreciated and learned so much. My eyes weren’t the only thing opened my heart was moved with compassion for others. I would do it again in a heartbeat because I know I touched lives by teaching . IVHQ Italy they care period also the International Naples network they believe in changing lives and I’ve been changed too. The culture was different you adjust quickly, definitely know some Italian, and I walked around by myself a lot around Dante square during day. I had time off enough to enjoy my weekends and the beach. You won’t regret it .

Bring more awareness to locals they wanted to know more and were grateful for our participation.

Jillisa
Barbados

My First Time

As it was my first time being to a European country, everything was different and new to me; for example the food (gelato is great) and the way of life in Italy(Italians love sleeping after meals). My particular program was the teaching English one. I taught English to minors between the average ages of 15 and 17. They were all boys and they were very nice and appreciative for the volunteers who helped them with their English. In return I learned some Italian, French and Spanish from them and also became more thankful for the life that I have; when I talked to these boys who were nearly my age about their life stories, it was very appalling that these young boys who had no physical support system with them, and whose families were depending on them to help their family to succeed through going to another country and by making use of the opportunities offered, never gave up hope and most of them were determined to make a better life for themselves and their families. Henceforth, this program gave me a greater respect for all people, no matter what backgrounds that they may have came from and it made me want to do what ever I can to help these people! I am thankful for the impactful experience that this program has given me and now I left as a more independent individual, a more empathetic individual and a more compassionate and loving individual!

Jess
New Zealand

IVHQ Naples, Italy

I volunteered in the after school care program for two weeks, Since it was the summer the children aren't in school. I absolutely loved my time with the children, we spent most of our time in the park where they played soccer, zumba, fencing, jump rope and any other game they could think of. I spoke no Italian but this did not effect my time with the children as much as I thought it would. The main thing I loved about my experience there was experiencing the Italian culture, I am from a small town in New Zealand and I spent most of my time watching the interactions of the children and their supervisors.
The IVHQ Inn was amazing too. All the people involved, staff and the other volunteers were amazing and I have made some life long friends! Everyone is like-minded and very friendly. The only regret I had after my time there is that 2 weeks is definitely not long enough! But my experience there was life-changing and I recommend doing this program, or any program with IVHQ as your time there will be amazing and you will never regret going!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jess, We are so glad to hear that you loved spending time with the children at the after school program in Italy. Thanks for embracing the Italian culture and for engaging with the local team and other volunteers on the program. It as been a pleasure to have you volunteer with us and we hope you will join us again in the future!
Kaila - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Alexandra
Western Massachusetts

Wonderful Two Weeks

Even though my time spent in the IVHQ Naples afterschool program was short, it was absolutely worth it. I lived in a beautiful apartment in the center of the city with 11 other volunteers who I became very close friends with. When you take a group of people from all over the world who are experiencing a culture together and who have the common interest of being abroad and doing good, a deep bond is made very quickly. At the beginning I didn't know what to expect, but upon my arrival at the INN I was welcomed into the community of young people in different volunteer placements and at the end of each day looked forward to our dinners together and talks up on the terrace of our apartment, exchanging stories about our placements, the funny bits of Italian culture we experienced, and some deep conversations about travel and what we wanted to do with our lives.
The first weekend I was there we traveled as a group to the walk of the gods in Positano and then had a picnic on the beach, and the second weekend we swam in the crystalline waters of Gaiola! There is so much to see in the area, and you will have plenty of free time either before or after your placement, so I highly recommend you take advantage of it.
I also highly recommend the afterschool program, but would also advise prospective volunteers to have at least a basic knowledge of Italian before jumping into it. I have lived in Italy for a while and speak fluent Italian, and since the children don't have a good enough understanding of English to translate or want to translate, I was very grateful to know the language and it allowed me to make connections with the kids easily. The afterschool program is divided into three sections (ages 7-9, ages 9-11, ages 12-16) and the first few days were divided among these three sections, getting to know the kids and the afterschool teachers from each section. The program went from 3-7 and involved helping the kids with homework (I liked to play a game where I would write a word in English and then the kid would have to write the word in Italian and then dialect. The kids were excited to teach me their dialect, and I was happy to learn!), then a snack time (one little girl got particularly attached to me and made me sit next to her during snack time and share her panino every day), then various activities (games, dancing, arts and crafts). This was all run by the staff at the afterschool center, which took some of the pressure off of the volunteers and allowed us to sit with the kids and make connections rather than having to worry about being in charge. Future participants should know that it is normal in Italian culture to be very loud and expressive, and should expect a lot of noise during the program, as well as a fair amount of chaos. One of my favorite memories was distracting the most rambunctious kids in the group by having an arm wrestling competition. With this as a distraction, the troublemakers were having safe fun and the rest of the kids could focus!
The support at INN and IVHQ was wonderful, and I often interacted with the employees around the housing. I highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to live in the crazy city of Naples (yes it is dirty and loud, but I never once felt unsafe and made so many connections with workers in cafes, bars, and delis, and people I met on the street! Plus the city is cheap and the food is the best in Italy) and is willing to make an effort to integrate themselves into their placement. It is your participation and eagerness to be involved that determines your success in the program! This program impacted my life greatly by showing me that I want to work with kids and that I love Naples. In fact, I am thinking of studying pedagogy in Naples next year! I also gained some amazing friends from my fellow volunteers. I traveled with two of them after the program ended and soon will be going to visit another! For anyone considering this program, I beg of you please do it and throw yourself fully into the experience.

I would recommend Italian lessons or requiring a basic understanding of the language. I also think more information on the specific program and housing could be shared before the program starts.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexandra, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you had a worthwhile and inspiring time on the IVHQ Italy program. Is sounds like you made the most of the program location with weekend trips with the other volunteers and spending you free time exploring the city and enjoying the delicious food. Thanks for encouraging others to join the program and thanks for being an IVHQer!
Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Angela Psalti
Angela

Felt like a second home away from home !

I choose to do the Teaching English program this November and I have absolutely no regrets! It has been one of the best things I have ever done in my life. The IVHQ program prepares you well for first-time volunteers, especially the online training before travelling. The IVHQ Inn staff are so welcoming, supportive and are there for you whether its for feedback or to have a chat. I was extremely satisfied with my experience in the project. I was by the end involved in two meaningful projects teaching english to secondary students and teaching english to adults who are refugees or homeless in the last week of my placement, which was a nice surprise. You know its a great program when you feel like you are making a difference even in the slightest way.

There was of coarse some challenges along the way. Theres the fear of doing something new in a place you are not familiar with, or going to placement every day not knowing what to expect, trying to communicate with or understand the culture and the people and change of plans in your project. But for me that is when i grew as a person the most and I learnt the most.

Overall, its a very well-organised program and ensures that you are satisfied and any issues are resolved, for example the email to check up on your experiences beginning, middle and end of program. I have more confidence in life, I am more culturally aware, adaptable, independent and have become a better person because of this program and more knowledge of teaching english. Thanks IVHQ for a wonderful experience!

There is not much. A suggestion is an IVHQ wallet-card with a list of all emergency contact numbers in the country you have chosen and the volunteers can carry it with them...even if its something we can just print ourselves at home.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Angela, We are thrilled to hear that you have no regrets! Thanks for choosing to volunteer in Italy with IVHQ and for making the most of your program by being involved in two different projects. We agree that it is often the challenges we face that help us to grow and we are so happy to hear that you responded courageously to the challenges you encountered. Thank you for being a wonderful IVHQ volunteer.
Kaila – IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Mariana
Costa Rica

My month in Naples was amazing. The airport pick up service was great. The accommodation is very nice, clean and with a great location, right on Naples historic center. The view from the rooftop is unbeliveable. The staff there is really helpful, they made me feel at home since day one. Naples is a very interesting city with many things to offer and close to a lot of other beautiful places you can visit during the weekend. Neapolitan food is just perfect and neapolitans are incredibly kind and friendly people. The work at your placement can be very rewarding if you really put your heart into it. Thank you Naples for such an unforgettable experience.
I will definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to volunteer abroad.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mariana, Thanks for your recommendation. We are so glad that you had an amazing time in Naples and enjoyed the volunteer work, accommodation view and the food! It is great to hear that the local team were really helpful and made you feel at home. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Abdulmehsen
Kuwait

Unforgettable experience in Napoli

I have been to Italy many times before, but that particular trip to Napoli is my favorite so far. It was very exceptional; the sweetest ever Italians in International Napoli Network will make you feel at home from the first second you arrive. They will explain to you everything you need to know about Italy in general and Napoli in specific, what they expect from you and even the necessary Italian language you need to carry out simple conversations with locals. People in Napoli are very friendly and well known for their hospitality and respect to people from other cultures. Ohhh, and in case you’re reading this to hear about food? Trust me, you won’t have any idea how pizza tastes like until you go there!
Besides, our delicious meals always arrived on time and some meals were prepared according to volunteers’ requests (e.g. vegetarian).

In case you are not sure whether you will do well in your placement, I would definitely advise not to worry at all.

I had no previous experience in teaching English before, but the motivating words and continuous support from INN is all what I needed to succeed in teaching middle school students.

In short, I can’t wait to apply again! ☺

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Abdulmehsen, Thanks for posting a great review from your time in Napoli. We couldn’t agree with you more - how good is the pizza and the gelato!? We are so glad that you were successful in your teaching placement with the support of the local team. It will be awesome to have you join us again.

Adrian
Melbourne, VIC

Napoli, The Kingdom of Naples

When people told me of the border between north and south, I did not believe such a thing existed. The touristy north is beautiful however the language south is heard.
Warm, alive and Aloud!
Owhhh, chiama Napule’

I participated in a volunteer project that I believe was helping the local community. Instead they’ve helped change the very meaning of life and its existence I once thought. Seeing the smiles of joy and hope from the people where unfortunately a government flawed with corruption reigns is a great thing.

There are many trying and hoping for Italy. Ivan, Sara and Chiara, a very big thank you for your hospitality, guidance through your city, and most importantly for giving me the opportunity to give where it’s needed.

Cin cin!

I'm pretty happy as it is.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your beautiful review, Adrian. We’ve loved having you as an IVHQ volunteer and we hope to have you join us again in the future.

Rongdi

One of the most amazing experience in my life

I am a uni student who is super busy with my coursework and I did my volunteer placement during the Eastern Holiday. Honestly before I headed off to Naples , I was still unsure if staying home for my tons of work would be more valuable for my Eastern Holiday rather than leaving for another country for volunteer . Luckily my friends they convinced me to come to Italy instead of staying home and that deffo is one of the best decision I have ever made!!!! I did After school care in Naples , but actually what I did is getting involved in the English class and teaching kids in the kindergarten English. I love my program soooo much!!!!! The kids they r absolutely lovely and cute and the teachers there supported me a lot . Unfortunately I cant speak Italian so sometimes communication is a problem between me and tutors (cuz most of them cant speak English ),but the staff in the program organization they help me communicate with teachers there and manager everything perfectly. I do appreciate everything happening to me in this amazing and unforgettable experience. :D

I think everything is perfect , no improvement needed

James
Westport
Sacred Heart University

The Wonders of the International Napoli Network and Napoli

My first day in the country was nerve-wracking, as with any trip abroad. It was my first time traveling abroad; but after a few hours, my mind was a ease. I was met by one of the program supervisors upon my arrival at the volunteer's housing and was simply in awe. The apartment was beautiful; with views of the Mediterranean, citrus trees in the courtyard, the mountains, and Vesuvius - all from one spot. The personnel who are the INN were helpful and it was evident that they were there to make a difference, and to help us do the same. We were given a lot of independence, making it seem as if we weren't "tourists" - but living within the city. On weekends we are free to travel, I was able to go to Rome and Vesuvius before I returned home. The people are the nicest in the world, the food is delicious, and the work can be life changing. You get out of the program what you put into it; you are given every tool necessary to have an amazing time and make a difference - use them! My work with the after school program was far more rewarding than I expected it to be; the people at the center were amazing as well. I highly regret not staying longer than two weeks as there is just so much to do, see, and so much I didn't want to leave yet. I am looking forward to returning to Naples and this program one day soon, 100% suggest this for anybody looking for a first-travel experience and some independence in a place as wonderful as Naples.

Letting volunteers opt-out of food plan or pay as-needed; a huge part of the culture is eating in the piazza with locals!

Brittany
McLean, VA

Can't Recommend Highly Enough

I really can't say enough about how much I loved this program. Despite its gritty reputation, Naples is a beautiful city with incredible food, art, and more history than you can shake a stick at. I went with a list of day-trips outside of Naples I wanted to take, but I ended up only doing a few because there was always something to do in the city. The location of the volunteer accommodation is incredible, with amazing views of the city, sea, and Mt. Vesuvius.

I was in the NGO Support program, and had an amazing experience. The local staff in Italy handpicks who to send where, and they have excellent relationships with the hosting NGOs--often they know the NGO staff personally, so you don't feel like you're being abandoned with strangers. :-)

The in-country staff are truly amazing. They went far above and beyond the call of duty--they're really interested in getting to know you and your goals and helping you achieve them.

I agree with Nicole's comment about the meals--food in Naples is delicious and cheap, so I would've liked to have been able to eat on my own more, instead of feeling like I had to eat the provided meals since I'd already paid for them. But it's probably for the best that I didn't eat pizza fritta (fried pizza) any more than I did! :-)

Rachel

First Time Volunteer Italy

When originally looking at international volunteering I looked at a few websites and found IVHQ, whose prices were a lot more affordable than any other program. For my first time out of the US and my first time traveling by myself I was very nervous, but IVHQ was a constant support to calm my nerves from the first time I looked at the website until the end of my journey. I had the best experience not only did I meet a great group of people, I also had a great support system with IVHQ, and the local staff. From the first day I arrived everybody was very welcoming, and I had the chance to meet people to travel with and got to achieve my goal of going to Italy. As long as you approach volunteering with an open mind you will have a great time.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rachel, Thanks for sharing a little about your experience volunteering with IVHQ in Italy. We are glad to hear you felt supported by IVHQ and our team in Naples. You definitely had a special group of volunteers in your start date and it's great that you were able to explore Italy with them. You have the right attitude toward volunteering we hope to welcome you on another IVHQ program again in the future. It was great to meet you in Naples. ^Catherine

house
Beijing

REALLY NICE EXPERIENCE

1.friends I made in our voluntary centre are still messaging me and inviting me to visit them.
I am so glad!!! I do think what u said on the orientation day is true.
You said people make life-long friends here.
I was doubting it at that time but the truth is that you are right.:)))
It genuinely impressed me, to have some "soul mates" at the other side of the earth.
2.the experience brought me trememdous gratification.
my voluntary experience was perfect!
Even tho from time to time, I feel what I did were too little.
Maybe it doesn't touched on the essence of the problem existing in Gaiola.
After I left, people still throw rubbish to the sea and do not care about the roman ruins under the sea. I keep thinking about the solution to the problem on my way to and from Gaiola everyday.

Maybe what I did didn't really alter the system in its root, but then I think maybe the system cannot be demolished in just a few days. Just like some systemic flaws in Chinese Political system.
We cannot wish to change it overnight.
What we can do is only try a bit more everyday and things will gradually get better.
I believe so!
I believe with all these ambitious and talented volunteers making endeavor, things are actually getting better, inch by inch,

Gaiola is too far away and we don't a lot to do on weekends.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi there House,
Thanks for your review and feedback on the Italy Program. We are so glad that you made lifelong friends while on the project. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Sarah
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Carleton University

Volunteering in Naples

From the moment I had arrived to Naples, I had a good feeling about the program. I was warmly greeted at the airport, and taken to the accommodations where I met with the other volunteers. We instantly hit it off.

My daily experiences consisted of volunteering at an NGO where we supported the office with help in any way they needed (administrative work, speaking with clients etc..). The other volunteers and I made use of our downtime by exploring and visiting the beautiful sites that Naples has to offer, and of course, eating a lot of Italian food.

Despite not knowing any Italian before the trip, we were all able to communicate with locals and pick up some useful expressions. Overall, the experience was life changing, and I would definitely recommend volunteering in Italy to anyone who is interested in volunteering abroad.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah. So delighted that you have had a life changing experience while on an IVHQ program! Thanks for the recommendation, we hope that you will join us on another Volunteer Program in the future.

Soraya
London, UK
University of Hertfordshire

Best month ever!

My time in Napoli was by far one of my favourite experiences to date. The city is stunning, the people are incredible, overall it is just perfection and I already miss it so much. A basic day in the lives of a volunteer would consist of going to your placement or 2 (I worked with 2 different NGOs) and then you would have the remainder of the day to do whatever you want. This could include sightseeing (Naples alone has so much to see and also, the accommodation is based right in the heart of the historical centre so your surroundings are full of interesting things to see,) trying new foods, going to the beach (Gaiola which is about 45mins away but worth it.)
The weekends are free for volunteers so we spent them going further afield. My favourite was definitely the island Capri. Absolutely amazing, I would 100% recommend it. Also, trips to Rome, Amalfi Coast and Sorrento were great, so there is a lot to see and you can never get bored.
Prior to departure, the research I did on Naples left me feeling quite nervous about arriving to the city, however I can assure you that whatever you read on line or especially in the :Lonely Planet about Naples is not true. The city is just like any other city where you need to keep an eye on your belongings and always be cautious. Naples is amazing and you will have an amazing time :)

Living with many people can cause a lack of cleanliness so the only thing I would recommend to be improved is some sort of rota that ensures everyone in the house is doing their bit to keep it clean, which will stop the people cleaning all the time and bring in the lazy people too!

Natalie
New York, NY
Clark University

An amazing opportunity!

I spent two months with IVHQ Italy this past winter and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! The staff is very caring and attentive and truly wants you to have a great experience; and there are multiple opportunities to truly make a difference in Naples and the surrounding area. All this while living (and eating!) in one of the most interesting cities in Europe (and the birthplace of pizza!). It really doesn't get much better than this!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Natalie, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos from your experience volunteering on our Italy program in Naples. It’s great to read it was such a rewarding experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer.

Emma
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
University of Ottawa

Unforgettable Experience

I spent three weeks in Naples doing the Teaching English program, and as I continuously tell everyone, they were the greatest three weeks of my entire life. I assisted teachers in a local public school in their daily English lessons. This included helping with the kids pronunciation of words, creating scenarios in which they could practice what they learnt (ex: asking them to describe one another) and using flashcards for identifaction of objets and activities. The moment I stepped foot in the classrooms I felt incredibly welcome and had the absolute best time of my life. The local team in Italy were amazing and always available if you needed anything at all. I wish I could have stayed longer and will forever be thankful for this trip and what it has made of me. There really is no way to describe the feeling of satisfaction and happiness until you go out and so something like this yourself.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Emma, It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience volunteering in Naples. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We hope to see you back on another IVHQ program soon.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to