Most Affordable Volunteer & Gap Year Programs in Italy with IVHQ

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer and gap year programs in Italy and 50+ other destinations around the world.

As an IVHQ volunteer in Italy, you can choose to volunteer in the capital of Rome or the cultural hub of Naples. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals, and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

Whether you're planning a volunteer trip or gap year program, you can trust that you're in the safest hands with IVHQ's superior support services. Even before you depart for Italy, you’ll receive outstanding support from your personal Volunteer Travel Specialist and gain exclusive access to pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Italy program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $735 for 2 weeks - we provide the most affordable and top-rated programs around the world.
  • You’ll be joining between 10 and 40 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Italy each month.
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 113,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization.
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs.

Book With Confidence: Added Flexibility & Free Changes

IVHQ makes it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind. As long as you cancel or reschedule at least 15 days before your program start date this year, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination.

Definitely not- most of the volunteers spoke basic Italian or learned their first words there. That being said, I went into the program fluent in Italian and I felt I got a lot more out of it and was able to help the kids more.

Hi Hannah! Children volunteering as part of a group with adult minders, or with a parent, guardian or family member who is 18 years or over, are eligible to participate on an IVHQ program. When a volunteer under the age of 18 applies to volunteer with IVHQ, it is important that the name of their minder is noted on their application, so we know that they are eligible to volunteer and our local team...

Kami

Great Trip!

My time in Naples, Italy with IVHQ was wonderful. I met friends from all over the world and getting to work with the children was really special. The project wasn't exactly as I imagined, but still very meaningful. The kids were so loving and excited that we came there to work with them. Overall, the program was very safe and the staff were nice. It is located in the most ideal area as well! I went to Rome and the Amalfi Coast on my weekends, and Pompeii, Procida, and around Naples during the week after my program. It was so beautiful and relatively cheap to get there as well. I came alone, so they were really fun places to visit with my new friends. I would definitely recommend this program to solo travelers, as most people I was there with came solo as well. The accommodation is also walking distance from anything you could need and the many famous Italian food places.

I think the exact organization of day to day volunteering could be improved but that is a simple thing to fix. The school I was working in was new to working with IVHQ so the teachers were still figuring it out.
Danielle

Amazing time in naples

I had such a magical time in naples Italy with IVHQ. The volunteer coordinator were very communicative and always willing to help. Once I got there the people at my placement were always there to answer all my questions from where the best places to eat certain foods were, how to get to work using public transportation and so much more. I felt extremely safe and would love to volunteer with them again. Anytime I felt uncomfortable they would ease my stress. They walked me to work and back the first day to make sure I was comfortable with my surroundings and everything that went into traveling alone to my volunteer placement. My placement itself was awesome, the people were so welcoming, by the end they felt like family and we still keep in touch!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Anchovies! I had always hated fish but we met the owner of the restaurant who brought us all these amazing appetizers for free- one being anchovies. They were delicious, best meal there!
Annette

IVHQ Naples, Italy

I volunteered with Arcigay Napoli for a month in Naples, Italy. Arcigay Napoli is a gay rights organization. It was very interesting to learn about the people who were traveling to Italy from other countries to seek refuge from the dangers they faced because of their sexuality. The program was only a few hours a day for four days a week - this provided me with plenty of time to explore the area, scope out some great places to eat, and learn more about the country that my grandmother grew up in. At fist I was a bit nervous about the idea of sharing a room with a bunch of people I had never met but everything worked out fine and my roommates were great. Having lunch catered was nice and they even had options for my roommates that were vegetarian. Ever since I left Naples I've been dying to go back since I am familiar with the area now and know where everything is.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have traveled more on the weekends. I skipped out on a trip to Amsterdam and Barcelona that I wish I had taken.
Hayley

Rome, Italy

I volunteered in Rome from April - June and I can't express enough how amazing this experience was. Meika from IVHQ helped me with any queries during the registration process, she was fast to reply to emails and always very friendly.
The local team in Rome, Sara, was the most helpful and friendly person during my stay in Rome, again she was always on hand to help out wherever I needed it and checked in with me to make sure I was okay.
Rome is such an amazing city to explore and having your afternoons and weekends gives you the perfect opportunity.
I worked on the Special needs program and honestly met the most amazing people there. I've made so many good friends by doing this program, I would 100% recommend anyone to consider volunteering abroad with IVHQ.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment for me was arriving in Rome at the airport and being driven to the location where I would be staying, I was so worried that I would feel left out or be rushed over by the local team but this was not the case at all, everyone including the local co-ordonator was very friendly and made me feel so relaxed within a matter of seconds. My advice is to stay positive and block out those negative thoughts. There will always be times when you may feel home sick but push through it because the experience is so worth it!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hayley, thank you for leaving such an awesome review for the program in Rome! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and managed fit in lots of time to explore. I hope you will volunteer with us again in the near future! :) Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Ava

IVHQ Italy

My experience with IVHQ was truly unforgettable. I got to spend 5 weeks in Naples, Italy volunteering with World Wildlife Fund. While there, I helped with trail restoration, wildfire prevention, and social media output. Being able to help such wonderful, passionate people who work for such a renowned NGO was truly more than I ever expected, especially for the small amount of money IVHQ charges for such an international experience. One of my biggest fears about this program was its location: Naples, Italy. I have heard many stories about this city, mostly revolving around its dirtiness and danger. However, I had nothing but positive experiences while exploring the amazing place of Napoli. Also, if any problems ever were to arise, I know that the IVHQ staff would be supportive and helpful. Overall, really recommend this program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Ava, it's wonderful to hear your experience with us in Italy was unforgettable. We really appreciate your review and we're glad our program enabled you to discover how amazing Naples truly is! Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Amanda

Volunteer with IVHQ

This experience was amazing. Everything was so organized and safe. No matter what someone was always there to answer any questions we had. I volunteered in Naples, Italy, and fell in love with a culture, a country, and it's people. I have no choice but to go back. The program was amazing and the kids were so grateful and easy to work with. If you're thinking about volunteering, don't even think twice, just dive right in and you will have no regrets. IVHQ participants will always be there to help you out.

Honestly, I have nothing to say for improvement
Melissa

Naples, Italy

I highly recommend the IVHQ volunteer experience in Naples, Italy. The local staff were great with making sure we were comfortable at the accommodations as well as at the volunteer placement. They were always present and very easy to communicate with. My placement worked with teaching English to teenage immigrants. However, I think these students taught me far more than I did them. This experience will have a lasting impact on me.

They don't give you a whole lot of details of where you'll be placed before going.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your review! It's awesome to hear you have had such a memorable experience in Italy. I do hope you volunteer with us again in the future. ^Meika - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Sarah

Naples, Italy

I went into this adventure with no expectations & an open mind & IVHQ & the International Napoli Network blew me away. The program in Naples is absolutely incredible and the people are as well. The month I spent in Italy was filled with so much joy. Through my placement I was able to meet people from all walks of life, who welcomed us with open arms. These people have gone through so much in life, yet they still show up every day ready to greet you with a smile.

Put yourself out there & learn as much as you can from them, embrace their culture fully & you will have the time of your life.

I am walking away with so much knowledge, friendships, and a brighter outlook. I am eager to get back to Naples & experience it all over again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, thank you for writing such an encouraging review. It's always great to see volunteers being open-minded and excited about their volunteer experience. I look forward to having you volunteer with us again in the future. ^ Meika - IVHQ Italy Program Manager