• Italy

Guesthouse
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $575 for 1 week in Rome - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.

OR $735 for 2 weeks in Naples - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Feb 01, 2021
Jun 18, 2022
128 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer and gap year programs in Italy and 50+ other destinations around the world.

As an IVHQ volunteer in Italy, you can choose to volunteer in the capital of Rome or the cultural hub of Naples. Your all-inclusive volunteer experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals, and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

Whether you're planning a volunteer trip or gap year program, you can trust that you're in the safest hands with IVHQ's superior support services. Even before you depart for Italy, you’ll receive outstanding support from your personal Volunteer Travel Specialist and gain exclusive access to pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Consider your impact: Volunteering abroad can be a rewarding experience for both volunteers and local communities, and at Go Overseas, we believe all volunteers should have the resources to make informed decisions about the type of volunteer project they want to partake in. However, despite best intentions, some organizations offering placements in orphanages may unknowingly place children in danger. You can read about the potential dangers of orphanage volunteering here. Learn more about how International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ is promoting ethical volunteering.

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Italy program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month.
  • You can choose to volunteer for durations ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks
  • Choose from a wide range of project options: After School Care, Environmental, Creative Technologies, NGO Support, Teaching and Inclusive Agriculture.
  • Highly affordable program fees for a fully-hosted volunteer experience from $575 for 1 week - we provide the most affordable and top-rated programs around the world.
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 113,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization.

• 9-10 rating 96.67%
  • 7-8 rating 3.33%
Sydney

IVHQ Italy - Youth Support

The program gave me an opportunity to become more independent. I was able to gain confidence and I made a lot of new friends. The volunteer opportunity to work with young children was fulfilling beyond my expectation. It also helped me learn patience. I was able to play music for the children and they absolutely loved it. The big thing I would say before going is do lots of research about the program and make sure it’s something you really want to do. I enjoy performing music and hanging out with children so it was an unforgettable experience. Doing research on the destination is also essential because you want to find a destination that you feel comfortable going to. As a young female traveler, I felt so safe going to Italy. However, anything can happen anywhere so always go with an open mind and research all about the program you plan on doing. I would highly recommend the youth support program in Italy.

Pros
  • Getting to spend time with children
  • Meeting new people and making friends
  • All of the food I had was amazing
Cons
  • Accommodation was far from placement
  • Some children didn’t know English
  • Accommodation was a little unorganized
Nicholas

This program is a must for people who love animals.

This program was beyond amazing! I had the time of my life working with cats at the animal shelter in Rome. I really felt like I was making a difference in there lives. Not too mention being able to see a lot of Romes attractions along with other cities in Italy. This experience also taught me how to be more responsible and how to work with other people well. It is definitely an experience that without a doubt I will remember for the rest of my life and I would recommend this project to anyone who is interested in working with animals.

Pros
  • Everyone was super friendly.
  • The cats were so fun to work with
  • I got see many of Romes attractions and other cities in Italy.
Cons
  • It’s a little confusing getting to the animal shelter because you have to use the public transit.
  • The language barrier is a little difficult at first.
  • You have to be really patient with people.
Kami

Great Trip!

My time in Naples, Italy with IVHQ was wonderful. I met friends from all over the world and getting to work with the children was really special. The project wasn't exactly as I imagined, but still very meaningful. The kids were so loving and excited that we came there to work with them. Overall, the program was very safe and the staff were nice. It is located in the most ideal area as well! I went to Rome and the Amalfi Coast on my weekends, and Pompeii, Procida, and around Naples during the week after my program. It was so beautiful and relatively cheap to get there as well. I came alone, so they were really fun places to visit with my new friends. I would definitely recommend this program to solo travelers, as most people I was there with came solo as well. The accommodation is also walking distance from anything you could need and the many famous Italian food places.

I think the exact organization of day to day volunteering could be improved but that is a simple thing to fix. The school I was working in was new to working with IVHQ so the teachers were still figuring it out.
Danielle

Amazing time in naples

I had such a magical time in naples Italy with IVHQ. The volunteer coordinator were very communicative and always willing to help. Once I got there the people at my placement were always there to answer all my questions from where the best places to eat certain foods were, how to get to work using public transportation and so much more. I felt extremely safe and would love to volunteer with them again. Anytime I felt uncomfortable they would ease my stress. They walked me to work and back the first day to make sure I was comfortable with my surroundings and everything that went into traveling alone to my volunteer placement. My placement itself was awesome, the people were so welcoming, by the end they felt like family and we still keep in touch!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Anchovies! I had always hated fish but we met the owner of the restaurant who brought us all these amazing appetizers for free- one being anchovies. They were delicious, best meal there!
Annette

IVHQ Naples, Italy

I volunteered with Arcigay Napoli for a month in Naples, Italy. Arcigay Napoli is a gay rights organization. It was very interesting to learn about the people who were traveling to Italy from other countries to seek refuge from the dangers they faced because of their sexuality. The program was only a few hours a day for four days a week - this provided me with plenty of time to explore the area, scope out some great places to eat, and learn more about the country that my grandmother grew up in. At fist I was a bit nervous about the idea of sharing a room with a bunch of people I had never met but everything worked out fine and my roommates were great. Having lunch catered was nice and they even had options for my roommates that were vegetarian. Ever since I left Naples I've been dying to go back since I am familiar with the area now and know where everything is.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have traveled more on the weekends. I skipped out on a trip to Amsterdam and Barcelona that I wish I had taken.
Hayley

Rome, Italy

I volunteered in Rome from April - June and I can't express enough how amazing this experience was. Meika from IVHQ helped me with any queries during the registration process, she was fast to reply to emails and always very friendly.
The local team in Rome, Sara, was the most helpful and friendly person during my stay in Rome, again she was always on hand to help out wherever I needed it and checked in with me to make sure I was okay.
Rome is such an amazing city to explore and having your afternoons and weekends gives you the perfect opportunity.
I worked on the Special needs program and honestly met the most amazing people there. I've made so many good friends by doing this program, I would 100% recommend anyone to consider volunteering abroad with IVHQ.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment for me was arriving in Rome at the airport and being driven to the location where I would be staying, I was so worried that I would feel left out or be rushed over by the local team but this was not the case at all, everyone including the local co-ordonator was very friendly and made me feel so relaxed within a matter of seconds. My advice is to stay positive and block out those negative thoughts. There will always be times when you may feel home sick but push through it because the experience is so worth it!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hayley, thank you for leaving such an awesome review for the program in Rome! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and managed fit in lots of time to explore. I hope you will volunteer with us again in the near future! :) Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Ava

IVHQ Italy

My experience with IVHQ was truly unforgettable. I got to spend 5 weeks in Naples, Italy volunteering with World Wildlife Fund. While there, I helped with trail restoration, wildfire prevention, and social media output. Being able to help such wonderful, passionate people who work for such a renowned NGO was truly more than I ever expected, especially for the small amount of money IVHQ charges for such an international experience. One of my biggest fears about this program was its location: Naples, Italy. I have heard many stories about this city, mostly revolving around its dirtiness and danger. However, I had nothing but positive experiences while exploring the amazing place of Napoli. Also, if any problems ever were to arise, I know that the IVHQ staff would be supportive and helpful. Overall, really recommend this program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Ava, it's wonderful to hear your experience with us in Italy was unforgettable. We really appreciate your review and we're glad our program enabled you to discover how amazing Naples truly is! Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Amanda

Volunteer with IVHQ

This experience was amazing. Everything was so organized and safe. No matter what someone was always there to answer any questions we had. I volunteered in Naples, Italy, and fell in love with a culture, a country, and it's people. I have no choice but to go back. The program was amazing and the kids were so grateful and easy to work with. If you're thinking about volunteering, don't even think twice, just dive right in and you will have no regrets. IVHQ participants will always be there to help you out.

Honestly, I have nothing to say for improvement