Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Italy from $715

View from Mount Vesuvius Summit
View from Mount Vesuvius Summit
Naples
Naples
A hike/beach day with great friends!
A hike/beach day with great friends!
Weekend in Gaiola
Weekend in Gaiola
My last day with the kiddos!
My last day with the kiddos!

Trusted by 100,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Italy and 40+ other destinations around the world.

As an IVHQ volunteer in Italy, you can choose to volunteer in Rome or volunteer in Naples and give back for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer apartment, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Italy, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects in Italy:

• Animal Care (Rome)
  • Special Needs Support (Rome)
  • Sports (Rome)
  • Teaching English (Naples)
  • After School Care (Naples)
  • Environmental (Naples)
  • IVHQ’s Italy program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month.
  • Highly affordable program fees from $685 for 2 weeks - we provide the most affordable and top-rated programs around the world.
  • You’ll be joining between 10 and 40 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Italy each month.
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer experts, and joining a network of 100,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart - we are the world’s safest organization.
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs.

Definitely not- most of the volunteers spoke basic Italian or learned their first words there. That being said, I went into the program fluent in Italian and I felt I got a lot more out of it and was able to help the kids more.
Hi Hannah! Children volunteering as part of a group with adult minders, or with a parent, guardian or family member who is 18 years or over, are eligible to participate on an IVHQ program. When a volunteer under the age of 18 applies to volunteer with IVHQ, it is important that the name of their minder is noted on their application, so we know that they are eligible to volunteer and our local team...

Kami

Great Trip!

My time in Naples, Italy with IVHQ was wonderful. I met friends from all over the world and getting to work with the children was really special. The project wasn't exactly as I imagined, but still very meaningful. The kids were so loving and excited that we came there to work with them. Overall, the program was very safe and the staff were nice. It is located in the most ideal area as well! I went to Rome and the Amalfi Coast on my weekends, and Pompeii, Procida, and around Naples during the week after my program. It was so beautiful and relatively cheap to get there as well. I came alone, so they were really fun places to visit with my new friends. I would definitely recommend this program to solo travelers, as most people I was there with came solo as well. The accommodation is also walking distance from anything you could need and the many famous Italian food places.

I think the exact organization of day to day volunteering could be improved but that is a simple thing to fix. The school I was working in was new to working with IVHQ so the teachers were still figuring it out.
Danielle

Amazing time in naples

I had such a magical time in naples Italy with IVHQ. The volunteer coordinator were very communicative and always willing to help. Once I got there the people at my placement were always there to answer all my questions from where the best places to eat certain foods were, how to get to work using public transportation and so much more. I felt extremely safe and would love to volunteer with them again. Anytime I felt uncomfortable they would ease my stress. They walked me to work and back the first day to make sure I was comfortable with my surroundings and everything that went into traveling alone to my volunteer placement. My placement itself was awesome, the people were so welcoming, by the end they felt like family and we still keep in touch!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Anchovies! I had always hated fish but we met the owner of the restaurant who brought us all these amazing appetizers for free- one being anchovies. They were delicious, best meal there!
Annette

IVHQ Naples, Italy

I volunteered with Arcigay Napoli for a month in Naples, Italy. Arcigay Napoli is a gay rights organization. It was very interesting to learn about the people who were traveling to Italy from other countries to seek refuge from the dangers they faced because of their sexuality. The program was only a few hours a day for four days a week - this provided me with plenty of time to explore the area, scope out some great places to eat, and learn more about the country that my grandmother grew up in. At fist I was a bit nervous about the idea of sharing a room with a bunch of people I had never met but everything worked out fine and my roommates were great. Having lunch catered was nice and they even had options for my roommates that were vegetarian. Ever since I left Naples I've been dying to go back since I am familiar with the area now and know where everything is.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have traveled more on the weekends. I skipped out on a trip to Amsterdam and Barcelona that I wish I had taken.
Hayley

Rome, Italy

I volunteered in Rome from April - June and I can't express enough how amazing this experience was. Meika from IVHQ helped me with any queries during the registration process, she was fast to reply to emails and always very friendly.
The local team in Rome, Sara, was the most helpful and friendly person during my stay in Rome, again she was always on hand to help out wherever I needed it and checked in with me to make sure I was okay.
Rome is such an amazing city to explore and having your afternoons and weekends gives you the perfect opportunity.
I worked on the Special needs program and honestly met the most amazing people there. I've made so many good friends by doing this program, I would 100% recommend anyone to consider volunteering abroad with IVHQ.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment for me was arriving in Rome at the airport and being driven to the location where I would be staying, I was so worried that I would feel left out or be rushed over by the local team but this was not the case at all, everyone including the local co-ordonator was very friendly and made me feel so relaxed within a matter of seconds. My advice is to stay positive and block out those negative thoughts. There will always be times when you may feel home sick but push through it because the experience is so worth it!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Hayley, thank you for leaving such an awesome review for the program in Rome! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and managed fit in lots of time to explore. I hope you will volunteer with us again in the near future! :) Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Ava

IVHQ Italy

My experience with IVHQ was truly unforgettable. I got to spend 5 weeks in Naples, Italy volunteering with World Wildlife Fund. While there, I helped with trail restoration, wildfire prevention, and social media output. Being able to help such wonderful, passionate people who work for such a renowned NGO was truly more than I ever expected, especially for the small amount of money IVHQ charges for such an international experience. One of my biggest fears about this program was its location: Naples, Italy. I have heard many stories about this city, mostly revolving around its dirtiness and danger. However, I had nothing but positive experiences while exploring the amazing place of Napoli. Also, if any problems ever were to arise, I know that the IVHQ staff would be supportive and helpful. Overall, really recommend this program.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Ava, it's wonderful to hear your experience with us in Italy was unforgettable. We really appreciate your review and we're glad our program enabled you to discover how amazing Naples truly is! Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Amanda

Volunteer with IVHQ

This experience was amazing. Everything was so organized and safe. No matter what someone was always there to answer any questions we had. I volunteered in Naples, Italy, and fell in love with a culture, a country, and it's people. I have no choice but to go back. The program was amazing and the kids were so grateful and easy to work with. If you're thinking about volunteering, don't even think twice, just dive right in and you will have no regrets. IVHQ participants will always be there to help you out.

Honestly, I have nothing to say for improvement
Melissa

Naples, Italy

I highly recommend the IVHQ volunteer experience in Naples, Italy. The local staff were great with making sure we were comfortable at the accommodations as well as at the volunteer placement. They were always present and very easy to communicate with. My placement worked with teaching English to teenage immigrants. However, I think these students taught me far more than I did them. This experience will have a lasting impact on me.

They don't give you a whole lot of details of where you'll be placed before going.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Melissa, Thanks for your review! It's awesome to hear you have had such a memorable experience in Italy. I do hope you volunteer with us again in the future. ^Meika - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Sarah

Naples, Italy

I went into this adventure with no expectations & an open mind & IVHQ & the International Napoli Network blew me away. The program in Naples is absolutely incredible and the people are as well. The month I spent in Italy was filled with so much joy. Through my placement I was able to meet people from all walks of life, who welcomed us with open arms. These people have gone through so much in life, yet they still show up every day ready to greet you with a smile.

Put yourself out there & learn as much as you can from them, embrace their culture fully & you will have the time of your life.

I am walking away with so much knowledge, friendships, and a brighter outlook. I am eager to get back to Naples & experience it all over again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sarah, thank you for writing such an encouraging review. It's always great to see volunteers being open-minded and excited about their volunteer experience. I look forward to having you volunteer with us again in the future. ^ Meika - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Kristine

IVHQ ITALY

I loved this program. The accommodation was in a great location in Naples. Everything was in walk distance and the staff was very helpful with recommending things to do in the area. Personally, volunteering was the highlight of my stay. The children were eager to meet volunteers from all over the globe and the classrooms benefited from having extra hands on deck. We did a range of activities with the kids such from playing soccer to doing puzzles. No matter what the entertaining the kids was the top priority and doing in the beautiful city of Naples was just an extra perk.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kristine, thanks so much for your wonderful review! It's great to hear you enjoyed your time in Naples and with the children as well. We look forward to having you back to volunteer with IVHQ soon. ^Mekia - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Tarika

An Experience I Cherish!

My time volunteering in Naples, Italy with IVHQ and the local team at INN is an experience that I hold extremely close to my heart!

I applied for the Environmental Project for 2 months, and the team provided me with all the help before departure, including help with the visa. My work involved helping with the animals in a farm that was located on a hill that overlooked the gorgeous city of Napoli and the sea! It was such an awarding experience to help with the animals at the farm, I felt so much at peace whenever I was there. The local staff was always there to help you in any aspect and they make sure you feel at home! The best part is how the atmosphere there is very positive and pleasant, the local people are great and always ready to help with a smile.

Naples is definitely a city to go with an open mind and get lost in its beauty while exploring, and the location where the accommodation is located is in a wonderful area full of young people, plus there is also the chance to visit so many nearby cities during the weekends. Add to that the delicious food that you will never get bored of!

Volunteering in Naples is an experience that will leave you with friends that you will always stay in touch with, a lot of cultural immersion, immense personal growth, and a definite wish to return. I could not have asked for a better 2 months, and wish to be back soon !!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tarika - I loved reading about your time in Naples, and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your 2 months on the program! Naples really is a special place and our local team will be thrilled to hear that you felt at home during your time with them. I wish you all the best, and hope to have you join us again in the future. ^Kaila - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Jessica

Can't wait to go again!

After an incredible three weeks on the environmental project in Napoli it was extremely difficult to pack up and head home. Doing this programme has been without doubt one of the best decisions I've made during my year abroad, and was an absolutely perfect way to spend most of January. Wowed by the beautiful weather and the vibrant, bustling city, I have definitely caught the IVHQ bug and am already saving up for where to go next! I was so humbled by the wonderful support of the INN staff, and very grateful for the amount of careful thought that went in to selecting my volunteer placement. Working in a community garden that was once simply a rubbish dump in the centre of Napoli was a superb experience, with lots of wonderful friends made, and the freedom to contribute ideas and receive useful feedback. I felt I had the flexibility to set my own goals while working for the organisation, and I left feeling I had contributed positively to the garden's development as a fantastic resource for the community.
In terms of living in Napoli- I can't emphasise enough how important it is to go and see a place for yourself rather than learning about it second-hand via its reputation. Napoli is a beautiful city, with some of the most genuine and kindly people I have ever met. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to speak with lots of locals and improve my Italian also- it's surprising how quickly you can advance if you put your mind to it and be brave! If you're a keen traveller like myself, it's so easy to train to Rome and Florence, and make sure you visit Capri, Procida and Ischia islands, as well as the gorgeous seaside town of Sorrento! One of my favourite memories was hiking Mount Vesuvius in the early morning then visiting the ruins of Herculaneum with my two best friends on the programme, a truly magical day! I left the programme with what I'm sure will be lifelong friends, as well as a new, more informed idea of life in communities which are not as privileged as my own. I was continuously humbled and amazed by the positivity and motivation of members of the community to improve conditions and create something beautiful for future generations, and I was honoured to be a part of it!

Nothing comes to mind, I had a mindblowing three weeks in Napoli, and will be recommending the programme to all my internationally minded friends!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for such a fantastic review, Jessica! I am so happy that you had an incredible time on our program in Naples - it sure is an awesome city! It's wonderful that you were able to take so much away from the experience and we can't wait to have you back for another IVHQ program soon. ^Kaila - IVHQ Italy Program Manager

Laura

Laura inspired

This was my first international trip and volunteer program. I was nervous but felt it would be a eye opening experience. IVHQ led in Italy by Teresa was amazing. Her staff made me feel comfortable and safe from the first meeting. I had the greatest time working with kids under 18 and they had different experiences they shared that I will never forget. My two weeks there I felt supported and appreciated and learned so much. My eyes weren’t the only thing opened my heart was moved with compassion for others. I would do it again in a heartbeat because I know I touched lives by teaching . IVHQ Italy they care period also the International Naples network they believe in changing lives and I’ve been changed too. The culture was different you adjust quickly, definitely know some Italian, and I walked around by myself a lot around Dante square during day. I had time off enough to enjoy my weekends and the beach. You won’t regret it .

Bring more awareness to locals they wanted to know more and were grateful for our participation.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura - I loved reading about your time in Italy! It's amazing to hear that your time working with the children allowed you to create memories you will never forget, and I'm so pleased you felt your contribution to the program was supported and appreciated. There's certainly no shortage of things to do and see in your spare time too, so it's awesome that you were able to make the most of your spare time in Naples by visiting some of the local tourist sites. We hope to have you join us again soon!

Jillisa

My First Time

As it was my first time being to a European country, everything was different and new to me; for example the food (gelato is great) and the way of life in Italy(Italians love sleeping after meals). My particular program was the teaching English one. I taught English to minors between the average ages of 15 and 17. They were all boys and they were very nice and appreciative for the volunteers who helped them with their English. In return I learned some Italian, French and Spanish from them and also became more thankful for the life that I have; when I talked to these boys who were nearly my age about their life stories, it was very appalling that these young boys who had no physical support system with them, and whose families were depending on them to help their family to succeed through going to another country and by making use of the opportunities offered, never gave up hope and most of them were determined to make a better life for themselves and their families. Henceforth, this program gave me a greater respect for all people, no matter what backgrounds that they may have came from and it made me want to do what ever I can to help these people! I am thankful for the impactful experience that this program has given me and now I left as a more independent individual, a more empathetic individual and a more compassionate and loving individual!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jillisa, Thanks for sharing! It is really heartwarming to hear about the lessons you learnt while volunteering abroad in Italy and we are sure that your support at the project was also much appreciated. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again the future!

Jess

IVHQ Naples, Italy

I volunteered in the after school care program for two weeks, Since it was the summer the children aren't in school. I absolutely loved my time with the children, we spent most of our time in the park where they played soccer, zumba, fencing, jump rope and any other game they could think of. I spoke no Italian but this did not effect my time with the children as much as I thought it would. The main thing I loved about my experience there was experiencing the Italian culture, I am from a small town in New Zealand and I spent most of my time watching the interactions of the children and their supervisors.
The IVHQ Inn was amazing too. All the people involved, staff and the other volunteers were amazing and I have made some life long friends! Everyone is like-minded and very friendly. The only regret I had after my time there is that 2 weeks is definitely not long enough! But my experience there was life-changing and I recommend doing this program, or any program with IVHQ as your time there will be amazing and you will never regret going!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jess, We are so glad to hear that you loved spending time with the children at the after school program in Italy. Thanks for embracing the Italian culture and for engaging with the local team and other volunteers on the program. It as been a pleasure to have you volunteer with us and we hope you will join us again in the future!

Alexandra

Wonderful Two Weeks

Even though my time spent in the IVHQ Naples afterschool program was short, it was absolutely worth it. I lived in a beautiful apartment in the center of the city with 11 other volunteers who I became very close friends with. When you take a group of people from all over the world who are experiencing a culture together and who have the common interest of being abroad and doing good, a deep bond is made very quickly. At the beginning I didn't know what to expect, but upon my arrival at the INN I was welcomed into the community of young people in different volunteer placements and at the end of each day looked forward to our dinners together and talks up on the terrace of our apartment, exchanging stories about our placements, the funny bits of Italian culture we experienced, and some deep conversations about travel and what we wanted to do with our lives.
The first weekend I was there we traveled as a group to the walk of the gods in Positano and then had a picnic on the beach, and the second weekend we swam in the crystalline waters of Gaiola! There is so much to see in the area, and you will have plenty of free time either before or after your placement, so I highly recommend you take advantage of it.
I also highly recommend the afterschool program, but would also advise prospective volunteers to have at least a basic knowledge of Italian before jumping into it. I have lived in Italy for a while and speak fluent Italian, and since the children don't have a good enough understanding of English to translate or want to translate, I was very grateful to know the language and it allowed me to make connections with the kids easily. The afterschool program is divided into three sections (ages 7-9, ages 9-11, ages 12-16) and the first few days were divided among these three sections, getting to know the kids and the afterschool teachers from each section. The program went from 3-7 and involved helping the kids with homework (I liked to play a game where I would write a word in English and then the kid would have to write the word in Italian and then dialect. The kids were excited to teach me their dialect, and I was happy to learn!), then a snack time (one little girl got particularly attached to me and made me sit next to her during snack time and share her panino every day), then various activities (games, dancing, arts and crafts). This was all run by the staff at the afterschool center, which took some of the pressure off of the volunteers and allowed us to sit with the kids and make connections rather than having to worry about being in charge. Future participants should know that it is normal in Italian culture to be very loud and expressive, and should expect a lot of noise during the program, as well as a fair amount of chaos. One of my favorite memories was distracting the most rambunctious kids in the group by having an arm wrestling competition. With this as a distraction, the troublemakers were having safe fun and the rest of the kids could focus!
The support at INN and IVHQ was wonderful, and I often interacted with the employees around the housing. I highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to live in the crazy city of Naples (yes it is dirty and loud, but I never once felt unsafe and made so many connections with workers in cafes, bars, and delis, and people I met on the street! Plus the city is cheap and the food is the best in Italy) and is willing to make an effort to integrate themselves into their placement. It is your participation and eagerness to be involved that determines your success in the program! This program impacted my life greatly by showing me that I want to work with kids and that I love Naples. In fact, I am thinking of studying pedagogy in Naples next year! I also gained some amazing friends from my fellow volunteers. I traveled with two of them after the program ended and soon will be going to visit another! For anyone considering this program, I beg of you please do it and throw yourself fully into the experience.

I would recommend Italian lessons or requiring a basic understanding of the language. I also think more information on the specific program and housing could be shared before the program starts.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexandra, Thanks for sharing! We are so happy to hear that you had a worthwhile and inspiring time on the IVHQ Italy program. Is sounds like you made the most of the program location with weekend trips with the other volunteers and spending you free time exploring the city and enjoying the delicious food. Thanks for encouraging others to join the program and thanks for being an IVHQer!
Kaila – IVHQ Ghana Program Manager

Staff Interviews

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...