Cross-Cultural Solutions: Volunteer Abroad in Morocco

Cross-Cultural Solutions: Volunteer Abroad in Morocco

Four million people in Morocco live below the poverty line, three million of them in rural areas, yet many families living just above the poverty line also face severe inequalities in income distribution, health care, and living standards. In Morocco, the average years of schooling for a child is far below other countries in the region and even further below the global expected standards for children ages 5-16.

In Morocco, only 20% of girls have a secondary education compared with 30% of boys. Contribute to programs that encourage girls to fulfill their potential, while delivering public health solutions to improve overall well-being. Women undertake more than 7 times as much unpaid work than men. We’re working to empower women through education and support for economic activities.

Africa » Morocco » Rabat
Spring Break
Winter
Year Round

Michael

Azrou, Morocco was amazing

I was blessed to spend two weeks in Azrou, Morocco with Cross Cultural Solutions. It was an amazing experience and something that I highly recommend to everyone. The country and people are so wonderful. I felt 100% safe the entire time and never had any issues. Everyone we interacted with had a big smile and a welcoming spirit. The volunteer experience they set up will leave a lasting impression in my mind. The whole team was great but especially Mohamed. He was the best. Morocco was fantastic and I hope to visit again. CCS was great!

Naomi
Rabat, Morocco
Wake Forest University

Morocco - a wonderful and unexpected trip with CCS

I recently found myself in-between jobs and decided to do something 'big' with my time off. Two weeks in Rabat certainly fit the bill! It was an eye-opening, delightful trip. I had the opportunity to visit three volunteer sites - the children's hospital, the school (to teach advanced English), and the orphanage. It is clear that CCS volunteers are welcomed and appreciated at all sites. The CCS onboarding program gives you plenty of ideas to prepare for your volunteer assignment, but there are also many resources at home base that can be used to augment or adjust your plans.
As noted by other reviewers, you have afternoons to learn more about Islam, the Arabic language, cooking lessons, or visit local sites. Safety was a concern for my family... we simply didn't know a whole lot about Morocco in advance. There was no need to worry. There are ample security measures in place, but I felt safer in Rabat than I do in parts of my hometown (Houston). Safety extended to the personal trips I took on weekends (with a housemate). We were on our own but CCS checked on us daily, just to be sure our experience was going well.
I am thrilled to have visited Rabat. It's a beautiful, interesting city. I also had the chance to visit Fes, Tangier, and a few other sites on my time off. Now I can say I rode a camel!
Morocco is a fascinating place. Thanks to this program, I genuinely feel like a better world citizen!

No suggestions.

Danielle
University at Albany- SUNY

Incredible

Morocco was so beautiful and different. Mohamed, the director of Morocco was there almost everyday. He really made everyone feel welcomed and safe. He tried to make sure that everyone had a great time. The staff was so warm and nice. I had a great volunteer site. I was at the children's hospital playing and doing crafts with the patients. The enclosed courtyard room we would use would be empty but the when me and the other CCS volunteer would come the children would leave there rooms and come. It was great seeing the smiles on their faces as well as their parents/grandparents. It was amazing how we communicated even with not having a common language. The parents would hug us and thank us when their children got to leave the hospital. Recommend going on a weekend trip to the Sahara but it will take up your whole weekend.

My two weeks were during Ramadan if they could let you be more aware when selecting weeks I would of liked to see the difference between when it was and wasn't.

Carol
Albany Oregon
Oregon State University

Cross Cultural Solutions = Morocco A++++++++++++++

I highly recommend Cross Cultural Solutions for beginning – AND - experienced travelers.

Beginning travelers – are helped, advised and taught how to travel safely, how to love and appreciate differences and how to gain self reliance in the wonderful world of travel. Being met at the airport, driven to daily volunteering, taken on field trips, and served wonderful food give the volunteers a safe learning environment. Living and working together with new friends provides lifelong memories.

Both groups learn language skills, local customs, and knowledge about preparing and eating new foods – and both groups grow and expand new friendships, and life experiences. Teaching, helping and learning with local people give feelings of accomplishment and self satisfaction.

Experienced travelers - are allowed much more freedom. They may choose to travel alone on weekends, do extended solo trips before and after their volunteer experience and design their travel (solo or small groups) to expand special interests and skills. The staff usually makes helpful recommendations, useful suggestions and necessary information about “in country” dangers. There is usually a “blog” book of good and bad experiences of former travelers.

Encourage people to stay longer.

Elizabeth
Tampa, Fl

Visit Morocco

I went to Morocco in May of this year. I must say that if there is anything one must do is visit Morocco. May is a beautiful time of year, to be able to go out and interact with people and take in its mystical air. A wonderful experience. It is sad to see the poverty, one can only do what they can. I had the ability to be with children at a hospital. A part of you will stay there in Morocco. What will leave with one is perhaps a few pounds from the delicious food they have. ;)

It's perfect!

Sandi
Port Orford, Oregon

Morocco turned out to be my Second Home

I signed up with CCS to go to Morocco and learn about their culture. My goal is to be a volunteer in Afghanistan. I felt the Moroccan culture was the closest to that of Afghanistan that CCS had to offer. I took my 17 year old grand daughter, Tana, with me. I have been back to Morocco seven times and plan to go again. Tana has been back four times, with friends and family, and plans to go again We fell in love with the people and the culture.
The Staff at Home Base are 'our family' now.
I volunteered in the Special Needs Wing of the Orphanage.
I met Nancy there and we are now Best Buddies. We love 'Our Kids' at the Orphanage. Tana loved working with the Street Kids and the challenge of holding their attention while trying to teach them.
For anyone wanting to Give Back a little and Learn A Lot....I highly recommend CCS. For anyone wanting to learn about TRUE Islam and an amazing culture, I highly recommend Morocco and the Staff at Home Base. They are the Real Deal. I love them. :)

I realize that no program is perfect, but I am at a loss as to what I would change about Morocco. As I have mentioned, I have been in Morocco seven times. And plan to return.
I know that times are rough and there is a lot more attention on Cuba and less on volunteering in an Islamic country. Funding is difficult. But I would not tighten the budget to much. Morocco is a must for staying Open and Relevant. We need our world countries to learn the True Islamic religion and Home Base Morocco is a warm and safe place to learn. With warm, intelligent, spiritual and inspiring staff.

Dana
Berkeley, CA
University of California- Berkeley

Immersion of Mind, Body and Spirit

Shokran, Shokran, Shokran (thank you) Cross-Cultural Solutions for providing an easy, heart and mind opening opportunity to delve into the vibrant culture of Morocco. From the friendly, fun, well-informed, professional staff and wide-ranging programming (cooking, language, history classes and outings), to my placement as a teacher of English and American culture at a women's center, I couldn't have been more fulfilled. And, I'm now completing a book, Unveiling Morocco; Discovering Ourselves, filled with questions inspired by images of Morocco’s exotic geography, people and culture that together, invite readers to create deeply mindful, passionate, connected lives.

I'd add more fresh fruit and salads and a greater quantity of food at each meal. That said, when requested, CCS did provide more of both these things! One has to be willing to sleep in bunk rooms and my friend and I each requested and got rooms of our own (bunks yes, but private). That option may or may not be available depending on # of people volunteering. I'd also make sure that the blankets are washed between guests. (I'm not sure if that's already done; just want to make sure that all is as cleanly as possible and expected).

Kristy
Palo Alto, CA

Better than any vacation week

The CCS van dropped off me and my partner in front of a small storefront in Rabat, the capital of Morocco. Two or three people were already waiting outside for the door to be unlocked. They were to be our English students. My sister-and-law came with me to Morocco for a week to teach English to adults in a program for women, to give them the tools to advance their careers. What a surprise to find we had three men among the group of 8 students!

On the first day, we stuck mostly to traditional rote-learning teaching methods. By the end of the week, the lessons had evolved to mostly conversation, with occasional breaks to spell an unknown word on the whiteboard. We learned that Mohammad #1 (for there were two in the class) was going that weekend to ask his girlfriends' father for permission to marry. A big deal! Fatima#2 (another common name) was raising 10 children, and was herself one of 12. Zakia never had formal education and was the worst at English, but flashed the biggest smile and was the most cosmopolitan and stylish, a rare single woman in the city, and hosting an American abroad student in her home.

The way the students gently ribbed each other and laughed, yet always brought us into the joke, made us fall in love with Moroccans. Just a week, and they are part of my life. We're penpals, continuing to work on English.

CCS provided wonderful support, with a comfortable safe home base, amazing food, great schedule, and time for cultural training and field trips. The talk on Islam and the talk on reading/writing Arabic were my favorites.

I look forward to crossing paths again, and am glad I know this little outpost of wonderful Muslim people on the African continent. Can't wait to try more of CCS's African programs in Tanzania, Ghana, and South Africa. Thanks to CCS for providing a wonderful home base with welcoming efficient staff, fantastic food, and a safe neighborhood.

That's a toughie. I wouldn't change the food. I wouldn't change the staff, or the placement, or the schedule, or the cultural training and field trips. I guess I would ask that there be someplace with a proper desk and chair, for working on a PC. All the tables are lap-level, so work was done on laps.

Rosa
Puerto Rico

the Best Expience

I learn more French in this trip, And learn to hear all people and the diferent idioms to identified. Make té is the wounderfull experience. Know more about a Romains culture in the Arabic territories was excellent. The kids dancing song of the all word I never forget. People making a different souvenirs. The flavors of the food was great. The mountains and the different weather. The pictures of the sand was mistery. All people are good all want to know more about the different countries

Carmit
Wagner College

cultural effects

It was an amazing experience. I enjoyed the exposure to a new culture, that was further intensified by the timing of the experience. My trip happened to fall during Ramadan. i was able to see the intricacies of the holiday's effects on people's lives. I witnessed a mix of culture, religion, and, of course, a bit of sightseeing in the process. The volunteering experience was equally rewarding. I fell in love with those adorable children at the orphanage. I did not want to leave them. Everything I saw from the trips to the everyday life as I walk through each city created great memories and expanded my worldview.

Provide group tours outside of Rabat

Terri
Dallas, Texas

On www.MYQUESTFORIMPERFECTION.com

I just returned from volunteering 3 weeks with CCS in Morocco. I am a very well-traveled individual with more than 80 countries that have been checked off of my list, which I have been fortunate enough to visit. I do not put much faith in the media, and their ability to report fairly and accurately the situations that are happening abroad in each individual country, as I find them always to be extremely embellished and happening in a very localized area and not in the countries as a whole. But even I was hesitant to travel to Morocco with the bombardment of information from the media and internet regarding Africa and in particular, Northern Africa. As always, I am so thankful and happy I dismissed all information and traveled to Morocco, as I wanted to rely more on my personal experience and gathering of information from Morocco itself! Morocco was nothing like I expected, I must say. The people of Morocco are very giving, loving and most of all, appreciative! The country itself is beautiful in every way and the Sahara, it is absolutely breathtaking and a trip that should be on everyone's bucket list. I was so pleased that Mohamed went out of his way to put together a trip-of-a-lifetime to the Sahara. Honestly, 3 weeks was not enough to see and experience everything Morocco has to offer. And safety, well, we did have a 24-hour security guard, though I'm not sure it was even needed, as I never felt safer in a foreign country. Mohamed and the staff are completely dedicated to your security and ensuring that you get the most out of your experience in Morocco with CCS in every way. The home base is in Rabat, the capital; however, it is so quiet, you would never know you are in a capital city and the neighborhood in particular is a part of the Diplomatic area. You can walk to practically any kind of business you can imagine that would be catering to every foreign Diplomat and their families. Definitely not Third World.
And most importantly, the placements are incredibly rewarding and are so much more than I expected. I even had a request while I was there to be able to experience a couple of placements and Mohamed made sure that happened. As I had never taught before, I felt very unprepared to teach an advanced ESL class to adults. As suggested, I was glad I had done quite a bit of research beforehand and looked for teaching tools; however, I wish I had done so much more and brought more teaching materials with me. The only negative I can point to is the home base lacks resources, in particular for my placement, to equip you properly; however, as does everything, with some effort on your part, it works out! The people of Morocco are so appreciative for the work you are doing. I definitely came away feeling that what I gained from my placement was far greater than what I felt I contributed. Morocco and the CCS staff far exceeded my expectations! Mohamed and his staff at the CCS home base in Morocco make sure you gain knowledge about the language, people and culture of Morocco; however, it is like anything, it is up to you to put forth the effort and use the knowledge you are given. For anyone with a serving heart or just curious about volunteering overseas for the first time, CCS meets you at the level you are at and takes your hand through every part of the process! I would have to say this probably is one of the most meaningful experiences I have had in my travel and mission work overseas. CCS is the “real deal” of overseas volunteering, as far as immersing you in culture and allowing you to choose your placement and grow in your placement as a volunteer. You may visit my blog at: www.myquestforimperfection.com to see a picturesque documentary of my time in Morocco and also a mini short side trip to Cairo, Egypt, on my journey back to the United States. Would I go back? I am counting the minutes already!
“Travel is the only thing that you can buy that makes you richer”

The only negative I can point to is the home base lacks resources, in particular for my placement, of teaching intermediate and advanced ESL to adults. I was thankful to have done research and prep beforehand; however, I wish I had done more and brought more teaching tools with me, especially since I had never taught before.

Emily
Hawaii

Unforgettable Experience

A typical day in Morocco included morning volunteer sessions, afternoon cultural lessons, and evening free time and exploring. It was a perfect balance of submersion into culture and travel experience. Not only are you able to enjoy the country and all it has to offer, you are able to make a positive impact on it by offering your time to the areas in need.

grace
Brasil

a wonderful experience of Morocco

it was my first venture into international volunteering and I chose the CCS programme as it combined volunteering and the cultural immersion i was looking for as i was fascinated with Morocco after a brief visit as a tourist previously. CCS programme is well established and the pre-programme online prep sessions and support was invaluable. The homebase and staff in Rabat are wonderful and take great care of every detail; it always felt safe and secure. I had the opportunity to experience several different volunteer placements during my 11-week (+2 week Eid break) time that was really good insight into the reality of life in Morocco. Free time during weekends were opportunities to visit the rest of this beautiful country and exploring the varied landscapes and history of al Maghreb.

A more structured approach for the teaching placements to enable the students to get the most from volunteers who are mostly non-teachers.

Rosalie
Newtown, CT
University of Connecticut

Teaching Teaching English Conversation In Rabat, Morocco

I was working mornings at Feminine Pleuriel. I was concentrating on English conversation. I was showing small pictures of various businesses/venues. The view of a stadium with a boy kicking a soccer ball was being discussed. I asked at what age is "football" taught in Morocco. A lady, probably in her late forties or so, stands up and pantomimes being pregnant and points to her "fetus"! Not only were we all laughing hysterically, it had to be one of the funniest moments ever for me! :)

I think the program is great as it is. My only suggestion has to do with the furniture! I found the "Puffs" and the knee-high tables to be uncomfortable after awhile!

kbejk
NY

50+ Volunteer Feels At Home in Morocco!

Wonderful opportunity to push my own envelope of experiences! The CCS home base in Rabat was an experience in and of itself. Truly warm and welcoming staff and program managers. The age range and nationalities of the volunteers in the program was wonderfully diverse and provided many 'down time' opportunities for establishing new friendships among the volunteers.

My assignment for the two weeks was teaching English to adults at a local foundation. Lots of preparation each day for the class as it seemed to attract new students all the time, but I had plenty of support from the program manager when needed . I so enjoyed my students -we even met on the one day a week that the facility was closed -- sitting outside having a informal discussions in some French, some English, some Arabic while we poured over maps of the US and magazines I had brought.

The food was so fresh and so beautifully presented by our CCS home base cooks and they opened the kitchen to us to teach us how to make several of the special dishes and pastries.

Because of the orientation to the country and culture while at the program, I felt well prepared to journey across the country via Marrakesh by myself to spend my last few days in Morocco in the beautiful coastal town of Essaouira!

CMM87
Chicago, IL

Fantastic Program

Cross Cultural Solutions is an incredible way to immerse yourself in a different culture while simultaneously giving back in a meaningful way! Living with fellow volunteers and fellow Moroccans in a "homebase" provided a great, casual way to learn about Moroccan people, cooking, culture, etc, while making new friends!

mtamura
New York, NY

I loved the program, staff, and volunteering in Rabat!

This was an amazing experience I will never forget. They really help you adjust and feel prepared, so I wasn't nervous arriving in Morocco. The staff was extraordinary and super friendly. Of course, you still should do your own research no matter where you go, along with the resources they give you. But this program was great!

For 22 years, CCS has been the standard setter for the safest, most meaningful, and enriching volunteer abroad programs while striving to be a global leader in child development and women's empowerment.

Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solutions, providing meaningful and