Internships in Chile - Adelante Abroad

El Reloj De Flores
Valparaiso Hill Artwork
Centro de la Mujer Community Discussion
Seals swim in the harbour of Valporaiso.
Seals swim in the harbour of Valporaiso.

Adelante builds, for our qualified candidates, affordable international internship programs in Viña del Mar and Valparaíso, Chile, for qualified candidates. Programs provide the perfect opportunity for candidates to work in their field of study with the option to receive academic credit. Unique placements are available, including working at a winery and at an extreme sports tour company.

The Chile program is perfect for gap year students, undergraduates, and post-graduates looking to boost their resume with real international work experience. You'll walk away with improved Spanish language skills, international work experience to add to your resume, and a cultural experience of a lifetime.

Our programs are offered year-round. Choose to intern anywhere from 1 to 6 months with free days to travel, explore, and enjoy excursions. Our program includes airport pick up, housing, 3 weeks of intensive Spanish language classes, and an internship in your sector of interest.

• We are the most affordable (housing included). Do your research, nearly all other programs are at least DOUBLE the price. You'll have your own room and live in a shared apartment or house with WiFi near the beach and your internship place.
  • Work in the field of your choice. Gain solid international career experience by working in a field that interests you. Placements are in large and state-run organizations or companies and corporations that are both privately or publicly owned.
  • Intensive Spanish language classes. We prepare you for your internship with three weeks of intensive Spanish language classes based on your Spanish speaking level. No extra charge, it's included in your program.
  • A welcome arrival. We'll pick you up at the airport, take you directly to your housing, and provide an orientation session with our program director to get you acclimated to Chile.
  • Curated Experience. Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group focused. Our on-site staff in Chile and the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you wish.

We’ve updated our refund & cancellation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19

Due to COVID-19 we are suspending all April and May 1st programming. Mid May, June, July and Fall 2020 programs are still on schedule. We are extending our deadlines for all other programs, in case April, May, or Summer applicant chooses to defer. We are offering ongoing flexibility with program payment deadline extensions.

Zoe

Amazing experience - medical internship in Chile

I did the medical internship in Viña del Mar, Chile. First of all, it is a beautiful city to live in, with lots to do and with Valparaiso just a 20 minute metro/bus ride away. The location of the house is perfect and in a safe place, just a few blocks from the beach and about a 30 second walk from a supermarket. I lived with other Adelante candidates and got along with all of them exceptionally well. The staff at the language school are welcoming, and my classes really helped me get accustomed to living in my new city. I learned about the unique spanish spoken in Chile, and my professor also took me out of the classroom to explore Viña as well as Valparaíso and learn about their history and culture. In order to meet new people, I recommend going to language exchanges in Viña or Valparaíso - these can be found through MeetUp online, and it's a great way to meet natives and practice spanish! Living in a new city with no familiar faces and a language barrier can be daunting, so these really helped me at first! When I started my internship at a local physical therapy (kinesiology) office, it was challenging of course due to the new environment and the language. Within a few weeks, however, I was effectively communicating with patients, leading several patient sessions, and carrying out physiotherapy. My spanish improved dramatically and I also learned technical vocabulary that will help me in my future career. The employees were great teachers and always made sure I understood what was happening, the patient's affliction, and what techniques they were using and why.
The last month of my stay, there was political unrest in Chile but Adelante staff made sure we stayed safe, and maintained communication with us. I would not change anything about my experience in Chile, as it helped me grow as a person and greatly increased my skills and confidence in Spanish. The people in Chile are very welcoming and kind, even though Chilean spanish can be hard to understand at first! I've come to love Chile so much and I will definitely be coming back! I could't recommend this Adelante program more.

Give yourself time to adjust, and try not to have too many expectations before your program starts. Go to language exchanges, and take opportunities to travel! I would recommend anywhere in the south of Chile, and San Pedro de Atacama in the north (it's cheap to fly there). Look up youtube videos of Chilean spanish before you go, as it will help to learn some of the words and expressions specific to Chile (there are many!). Also, there are many beach towns within an hour or two of Viña which I highly recommend taking a day trip to! Spend time alone exploring the city and don't stress about meeting people because it will happen! Just put yourself out there and fully embrace the experience.
Kelsey

A Learning Experience

I was an English-teaching intern in Viña Del Mar, Chile for a month. The city was an amazing and beautiful place to be and I felt quite safe. It was relatively expensive to live during the month I was there as my roommate and I had to provide our own food and transportation. However, the work that we were during was great. I had never taught English before until this internship, and I learned a lot about myself; how well I work in a position of authority, and my planning skills. The program had a lack of guidelines on what we were supposed to be teaching, and although that was a challenge, it provided us with the opportunity to create an entirely new lesson plan that catered to the needs of the students. We taught four amazing adults who were eager to learn from us and it felt great! I’d encourage future interns to take as many weekend outings as they can in Chile. The city has so many amazing activities and sights that will keep you busy in between your working hours. The only downside of the program was that I had to find my own transportation back to the airport at the end of the program which was expensive and difficult to navigate. But my experience in teaching in Chile outweighed any cons that arose!

Airport transportation needs to be provided at the end of the program, not just at the beginning. Also, there should be some sort of guidelines or subject matter for the English-teaching interns so that they have a better idea of where to start and what the students are expected to know by the end of the program.
Gabriela

Increíble

Fue una experiencia linda! La gente es muy acogedora y conocí muchos lugares. Me hubiera gustado poder contactar a la persona con la que iba a vivir antes para poder planificar mejor los viajes. Todo fue 10/10, el equipo del international center está atento de ayudarnos siempre. Hay muchos viajes cortos que se pueden hacer por el fin de semana. Uno de los lugares que más nos gustó fue el embalse Puclaro donde pueden hacer kitesurf. Dentro de Viña, no dejen de conocer Reñaca, Concon (playa la boca y las dunas), el jardín botánico es PRECIOSO, conocer los palacios, tomar un helado en Mo o Coletti y salir a correr por la avenida Perú. Además, en cuanto al trabajo, aprendí mil cosas nuevas, formas de trabajar en Chile distintas a mi país.
Me voy de Chile con los mejores recuerdos!

La casa deja mucho que desear. El estado de los muebles y artefactos es muy malo. Encontramos todo muy sucio y la cocina no funcionaba bien. Pero la ubicación es MUY buena
Delilah

Bacán!

One of the unique aspects of this program is its location in Vina/Valpo, most programs tend to be in Santiago and I liked being outside of a big city because it allowed me really try and immerse myself into the culture and gave me the opportunity to speak and practice my Spanish. There are a lot of college students in this area and it’s close enough and inexpensive to get to Santiago.

It’s a flexible program and you really have to be very independent because there’s not a lot of administrative support. We basically had to figure everything out on our own. However as a girl traveling alone I really liked that Vina feels safe.

I really enjoyed my internship a lot although they never really gave me real work to do. In terms of getting actual experience I really didn’t feel like I did as much as I wanted to. My internship was in Valparaiso, which was nice because I was able to get to know both cities and everyone I worked with was great. They were also really flexible which is convenient if you’re coming to Chile to travel.

I personally didn’t like being forced to take Spanish lessons for three weeks; it was annoying to have to spend three hours doing grammar everyday especially because I’m a fluent native speaker. Learning a bit about the culture and slang was really useful especially once I got to my internship (but I probably could have learned on my own).

The housing placement was good, I had my own room, it was super central, and a five-minute walk to the beach but it’s poorly run. It’s not very well taken care of (filthy and falling apart) and the last month of my stay was considerably better but it took two months of insisting that things on my part to get to that point. The staff at the international center is nice but honestly I felt like I had to constantly bug them to get info that I wanted or needed, they don’t particularly go out of their way to help you. They’ll do it but only because you insist, which was really frustrating at times.

However despite any of these problems, the program does live up to what it promises.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thank you Delilah for the review and for recommending this program. We do need to address some things you wrote. First, having to "figure out everything on our own": there is a formal Orientation upon arrival and then you have access to our onsite Director every day for the first three weeks in-country. There should be no reason you have "to figure everything out on your own." You simply have to ask, if in Orientation or if over 21 days of face to face contact, something you have a question about is not covered. Your internship: good to hear that you enjoyed your work assignment. They are a prestigious, busy company that willingly wants to teach you and made a space for you. If you felt you didn't have enough to do, or finished tasks early, it's always best to ask for more. Candidates that get the most out of this program are those who are proactive.
Spanish lessons: you and another girl in the program at the same time were fluent Spanish speakers upon arrival, so therefore always have the option to take fewer weeks of Spanish classes. According to our records, both of you were advised of this - she took that option, and took less weeks of classes, you did not. So we're not sure why you have included this as an issue, since the choice was yours.
Lastly your housing: this house was clean when you arrived, and if over the length of your program, it became "filthy", well that is hard for us to fix in the bi-weekly cleaning service included. The day to day is on you and your roommates. We have many, many photos from our cleaning service of the house while you lived there. Not pretty. Our Director, in Chile, also advised you and your roommates, multiple times, based on those photos, to please not leave days and days of trash out, to not leave wet towels on the floor, to do the dishes before both sinks were full of them, etc.
We do check in with you daily at first then weekly, so if the above cleaning issues were not your fault, it would have been good to hear that then, not now, after the program is over.
It seems like all the issues you mention could have been easily avoided with better communication from you in the form of answers to our Director and answers to our daily, then weekly, checking in contacts. Nevertheless, it sounds like you had an amazing life and professional experience in Chile. Team Adelante

Arlo

Fue la raja

I was a candidate in Adelante's Chile program for three months in early 2017. At the risk of sounding hacknied, the experience was utterly transformative, thanks in large part to Adelante.

After a friendly chat with the feller sent to pick me up from the airport, I arrived to the candidate apartment. Strangely, it was way nicer than it looked in the pictures. Classes at the International Center (Adelante's in-country fixer organization, which also maintains the apartment and a network of homestay families) started a few days later. They were daily group lessons taught by the wonderful Marcela, who took us on excursions in Viña and Valpo as part of the lessons, and advised us extensively on where to buy meat, how to navigate the streets and slang, etc. The International Center crew was not only extremely communicative (and able to speak English, in large part), they took us out and were generally good buddies. I was traveling alone, so that gracious friendliness kept a certain amount of loneliness at bay.

In my second month I moved to a family homestay. There was some confusion here in regard to communication between the International Center and Adelante, but I still ended up in the right place. The host family was extremely accomodating, but a bit controlling. I decided that I wanted to try a different host family a month later, and the Adelante/IC folks had me in a new house the next day. Despite small problems with the host families themselves, Adelante/IC was adament about holding them accountable, and urged me to report any issue that came up.

My internship assignment was spot on. Marcela made sure I knew how to get there and who to talk to (although the beautiful madness of Chilean Spanish made it difficult to chat at first). I was allowed to work at my own pace and take as many tourism days off as I needed. The staff was endlessly cool... if you end up in the area, I recommend you tune in to Radio Valentín Letelier for a (really) broad mix of alternative music.

There are countless wonderful details about the experience that I don't have time to impart, but I gotta mention the excursions to a local vineyard (the first included as part of lessons, the second offered for free when my parents came to visit me) and Charlie (a sweet street dog often accompanied by "the yellow dog," both of whom followed me into supermarkets, churches, and anywhere else). Generally, the atmosphere of the Adelante/IC was one of helpful kindness, and that made good things happen.

I'm omitting a lot of difficult experiences, which were equally essential to the emotional and lingual growth I achieved down there, but none of those were Adelante's fault. In retrospect, I'm awfully grateful for those negative experiences, but pleased to say that they didn't stem from the organization to which I paid $4000.

Adelante is trustworthy and Chile is indescribably worthwhile. Buen viaje, folks. Pick up a slang dictionary on your way.

-Arlo

Perhaps better communication between Adelante and the International Center.
Jadah

Teaching English in Chile

Teaching English in Chile was wonderful! My experience was great from the beginning. I had a really nice driver from the Santiago airport to my apartment in Vina del Mar. Once I got to Vina, I had a really nice stay at a large apartment with two roommates. At my internship, the staff was really nice and helpful, and so were the students. I was really able to focus on teaching the material and helping students master English. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone.

More heat during stay.
Nancy

Two Amazing Months in Chile!

Hello! My name is Nancy Haro and this summer I spent two months in Vina Del Mar/Valparaiso Chile. Adelante Abroad was incredibly helpful and they were in constant contact with me before my departure and throughout my stay in Chile. The director in my host country was incredibly sweet and helpful as well which made my first time on my own in a foreign country much easier. I lived in a three-bedroom house with roommates and we each had our own room. The Spanish classes and our respective internships were only Monday through Friday, so we would take advantage of the weekends to go dancing (numerous dance clubs were at walking distance from the house). Restaurants, shopping centers, the beach, some museums, and much more, are at walking distance from the house; however, places that are not, there are many other convenient modes of transportation such as, buses, el metro, and colectivos (collective taxis). The hills of Valparaiso have some of the most beautiful murals I have ever had the pleasure of seeing!

I interned at the with the Servicio Nacional de la Mujer at the Centro de la Mujer of Villa Alemana. I was blessed to work with an amazing team and since I was the first international intern they had ever worked with, they were able to learn from me as I was able to learn from them. It was a rewarding experience to be able to study, work, and live in Chile and I highly recommend everyone to do it!! If you have never been away on your own, like me, Chile is definitely the place to go!

It would be helpful if students could share information with future roommates so they could contact each other before they meet. Other than that, the program was incredible!
Michael

Great option for interning in Chile

I highly recommend Chile for anyone looking to work or study abroad, I highly recommend Viña for foreigners live in Chile and I highly recommend Adelante as an intern placement program within this region. My experience with Adelante was a truly valuable to me and the experience I gained there has already begun to pay dividends in may professional career. From day one (or even, well in advance of day one), Adelante is invested in its clients and responsive to all questions and concerns. Their staff both in the United States are caring and committed to the success of your program.

Personally, I had a great experience working first for a Chilean law firm, then in the legal department for a university based start-up "incubator" I learned a lot doing so and was able to make valuable business contacts in the process. Your experience may vary but the constant will be the constant attention and support you get from this Adelante's friendly and professional team.

I highly recommend interning abroad with Adelante.

It's hard to say what improvements could be made to the Adelante program. It's true that no program is perfect but for what this one aims to accomplish it is about as effective as one could hope for. Perhaps I'd recommend that they provide a more robust program of "post-program" networking opportunities for those interns looking to continue working in the area, though in fact at my request, they actually ARE helping me work on this at the moment. This is actually a consideration very specific to my situation ( I imagine that it's not every intern that wants to continue living in Chile), so on the whole I can say that Adelante provides everything you might expect.