Internships in Chile - Adelante Abroad

Internships in Chile - Adelante Abroad

Save $150 During International Education Week
In honor of IEW, all new applicants who apply by November 17th get $150 off toward their 2018 Spring internship (February – May)!

Spend 2-6 months in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Spain, or Uruguay. Customized placements, housing, and Spanish language courses included in program costs.

Adelante builds, for our qualified candidates, affordable international internship programs in Vina del Mar and Valparaiso, Chile, for qualified candidates. Programs provide the perfect opportunity for candidates to work in their field of study with the option to receive academic credit. Unique placements are available, including working at a winery and at an extreme sports tour company.

The Chile program is perfect for gap year students, undergraduates, and post-graduates looking to boost their resume with real international work experience. You'll walk away with improved Spanish language skills, international work experience to add to your resume, and a cultural experience of a lifetime.

Our programs are offered year-round. Choose to intern anywhere from 1 to 6 months with free days to travel, explore, and enjoy excursions. Our program includes airport pick up, housing, 3 weeks of intensive Spanish language classes, and an internship in your sector of interest.

For a full list of internship placements in Chile, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!
  • We are the most affordable (housing included). Do your research, nearly all other programs are at least DOUBLE the price. You'll have your own room and live in a shared apartment or house with WiFi near the beach and your internship place.
  • Work in the field of your choice. Gain solid international career experience by working in a field that interests you. Placements are in large and state-run organizations or companies and corporations that are both privately or publicly owned.
  • Intensive Spanish language classes. We prepare you for your internship with three weeks of intensive Spanish language classes based on your Spanish speaking level. No extra charge, it's included in your program.
  • A welcome arrival. We'll pick you up at the airport, take you directly to your housing, and provide an orientation session with our program director to get you acclimated to Chile.
  • Curated Experience. Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group focused. Our on-site staff in Chile and the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you wish.
South America » Chile » Viña del Mar
Phone / Skype Interview
Weekly Hours
Weeks Min.
Application Fee
$2,495 - $ 5,895 (varies by program duration); This Adelante program includes a volunteer or internship placement in your sector of interest, airport pick up, housing, 2 weeks of intensive Spanish classes, and 24/7 access to your local Program Director.

Delilah
Los Angeles, CA

Bacán!

One of the unique aspects of this program is its location in Vina/Valpo, most programs tend to be in Santiago and I liked being outside of a big city because it allowed me really try and immerse myself into the culture and gave me the opportunity to speak and practice my Spanish. There are a lot of college students in this area and it’s close enough and inexpensive to get to Santiago.

It’s a flexible program and you really have to be very independent because there’s not a lot of administrative support. We basically had to figure everything out on our own. However as a girl traveling alone I really liked that Vina feels safe.

I really enjoyed my internship a lot although they never really gave me real work to do. In terms of getting actual experience I really didn’t feel like I did as much as I wanted to. My internship was in Valparaiso, which was nice because I was able to get to know both cities and everyone I worked with was great. They were also really flexible which is convenient if you’re coming to Chile to travel.

I personally didn’t like being forced to take Spanish lessons for three weeks; it was annoying to have to spend three hours doing grammar everyday especially because I’m a fluent native speaker. Learning a bit about the culture and slang was really useful especially once I got to my internship (but I probably could have learned on my own).

The housing placement was good, I had my own room, it was super central, and a five-minute walk to the beach but it’s poorly run. It’s not very well taken care of (filthy and falling apart) and the last month of my stay was considerably better but it took two months of insisting that things on my part to get to that point. The staff at the international center is nice but honestly I felt like I had to constantly bug them to get info that I wanted or needed, they don’t particularly go out of their way to help you. They’ll do it but only because you insist, which was really frustrating at times.

However despite any of these problems, the program does live up to what it promises.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thank you Delilah for the review and for recommending this program. We do need to address some things you wrote. First, having to "figure out everything on our own": there is a formal Orientation upon arrival and then you have access to our onsite Director every day for the first three weeks in-country. There should be no reason you have "to figure everything out on your own." You simply have to ask, if in Orientation or if over 21 days of face to face contact, something you have a question about is not covered. Your internship: good to hear that you enjoyed your work assignment. They are a prestigious, busy company that willingly wants to teach you and made a space for you. If you felt you didn't have enough to do, or finished tasks early, it's always best to ask for more. Candidates that get the most out of this program are those who are proactive.
Spanish lessons: you and another girl in the program at the same time were fluent Spanish speakers upon arrival, so therefore always have the option to take fewer weeks of Spanish classes. According to our records, both of you were advised of this - she took that option, and took less weeks of classes, you did not. So we're not sure why you have included this as an issue, since the choice was yours.
Lastly your housing: this house was clean when you arrived, and if over the length of your program, it became "filthy", well that is hard for us to fix in the bi-weekly cleaning service included. The day to day is on you and your roommates. We have many, many photos from our cleaning service of the house while you lived there. Not pretty. Our Director, in Chile, also advised you and your roommates, multiple times, based on those photos, to please not leave days and days of trash out, to not leave wet towels on the floor, to do the dishes before both sinks were full of them, etc.
We do check in with you daily at first then weekly, so if the above cleaning issues were not your fault, it would have been good to hear that then, not now, after the program is over.
It seems like all the issues you mention could have been easily avoided with better communication from you in the form of answers to our Director and answers to our daily, then weekly, checking in contacts. Nevertheless, it sounds like you had an amazing life and professional experience in Chile. Team Adelante

Arlo
Morehead State University

Fue la raja

I was a candidate in Adelante's Chile program for three months in early 2017. At the risk of sounding hacknied, the experience was utterly transformative, thanks in large part to Adelante.

After a friendly chat with the feller sent to pick me up from the airport, I arrived to the candidate apartment. Strangely, it was way nicer than it looked in the pictures. Classes at the International Center (Adelante's in-country fixer organization, which also maintains the apartment and a network of homestay families) started a few days later. They were daily group lessons taught by the wonderful Marcela, who took us on excursions in Viña and Valpo as part of the lessons, and advised us extensively on where to buy meat, how to navigate the streets and slang, etc. The International Center crew was not only extremely communicative (and able to speak English, in large part), they took us out and were generally good buddies. I was traveling alone, so that gracious friendliness kept a certain amount of loneliness at bay.

In my second month I moved to a family homestay. There was some confusion here in regard to communication between the International Center and Adelante, but I still ended up in the right place. The host family was extremely accomodating, but a bit controlling. I decided that I wanted to try a different host family a month later, and the Adelante/IC folks had me in a new house the next day. Despite small problems with the host families themselves, Adelante/IC was adament about holding them accountable, and urged me to report any issue that came up.

My internship assignment was spot on. Marcela made sure I knew how to get there and who to talk to (although the beautiful madness of Chilean Spanish made it difficult to chat at first). I was allowed to work at my own pace and take as many tourism days off as I needed. The staff was endlessly cool... if you end up in the area, I recommend you tune in to Radio Valentín Letelier for a (really) broad mix of alternative music.

There are countless wonderful details about the experience that I don't have time to impart, but I gotta mention the excursions to a local vineyard (the first included as part of lessons, the second offered for free when my parents came to visit me) and Charlie (a sweet street dog often accompanied by "the yellow dog," both of whom followed me into supermarkets, churches, and anywhere else). Generally, the atmosphere of the Adelante/IC was one of helpful kindness, and that made good things happen.

I'm omitting a lot of difficult experiences, which were equally essential to the emotional and lingual growth I achieved down there, but none of those were Adelante's fault. In retrospect, I'm awfully grateful for those negative experiences, but pleased to say that they didn't stem from the organization to which I paid $4000.

Adelante is trustworthy and Chile is indescribably worthwhile. Buen viaje, folks. Pick up a slang dictionary on your way.

-Arlo

Perhaps better communication between Adelante and the International Center.

Jadah
Houston
Florida International University

Teaching English in Chile

Teaching English in Chile was wonderful! My experience was great from the beginning. I had a really nice driver from the Santiago airport to my apartment in Vina del Mar. Once I got to Vina, I had a really nice stay at a large apartment with two roommates. At my internship, the staff was really nice and helpful, and so were the students. I was really able to focus on teaching the material and helping students master English. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone.

More heat during stay.

Nancy
Inglewood

Two Amazing Months in Chile!

Hello! My name is Nancy Haro and this summer I spent two months in Vina Del Mar/Valparaiso Chile. Adelante Abroad was incredibly helpful and they were in constant contact with me before my departure and throughout my stay in Chile. The director in my host country was incredibly sweet and helpful as well which made my first time on my own in a foreign country much easier. I lived in a three-bedroom house with roommates and we each had our own room. The Spanish classes and our respective internships were only Monday through Friday, so we would take advantage of the weekends to go dancing (numerous dance clubs were at walking distance from the house). Restaurants, shopping centers, the beach, some museums, and much more, are at walking distance from the house; however, places that are not, there are many other convenient modes of transportation such as, buses, el metro, and colectivos (collective taxis). The hills of Valparaiso have some of the most beautiful murals I have ever had the pleasure of seeing!

I interned at the with the Servicio Nacional de la Mujer at the Centro de la Mujer of Villa Alemana. I was blessed to work with an amazing team and since I was the first international intern they had ever worked with, they were able to learn from me as I was able to learn from them. It was a rewarding experience to be able to study, work, and live in Chile and I highly recommend everyone to do it!! If you have never been away on your own, like me, Chile is definitely the place to go!

It would be helpful if students could share information with future roommates so they could contact each other before they meet. Other than that, the program was incredible!

Michael
Greenwich, CT
Miami University

Great option for interning in Chile

I highly recommend Chile for anyone looking to work or study abroad, I highly recommend Viña for foreigners live in Chile and I highly recommend Adelante as an intern placement program within this region. My experience with Adelante was a truly valuable to me and the experience I gained there has already begun to pay dividends in may professional career. From day one (or even, well in advance of day one), Adelante is invested in its clients and responsive to all questions and concerns. Their staff both in the United States are caring and committed to the success of your program.

Personally, I had a great experience working first for a Chilean law firm, then in the legal department for a university based start-up "incubator" I learned a lot doing so and was able to make valuable business contacts in the process. Your experience may vary but the constant will be the constant attention and support you get from this Adelante's friendly and professional team.

I highly recommend interning abroad with Adelante.

It's hard to say what improvements could be made to the Adelante program. It's true that no program is perfect but for what this one aims to accomplish it is about as effective as one could hope for. Perhaps I'd recommend that they provide a more robust program of "post-program" networking opportunities for those interns looking to continue working in the area, though in fact at my request, they actually ARE helping me work on this at the moment. This is actually a consideration very specific to my situation ( I imagine that it's not every intern that wants to continue living in Chile), so on the whole I can say that Adelante provides everything you might expect.

Jonathan
Riverside, California
La Sierra University

Valparaiso puerto de mi amor

Hi.
I'm Jonathan. I was taking part in the adelante program from december 2013-May 2014.
I graduated from Uni in June of 2013. I'm half Chilean though I was born in the US and never had a chance to visit Chile and it's something I've always wanted to do.
I knew that I wanted to continue working in PR and advertising as it's something I became truly passionate about over the past 2 years. So after my interview with the program's director Kimberly she had just the right place in mind. She told me about my internship placement in Valparaiso with a small but hustling business incubator called Chrysalis. When I met the staff there in December I felt a vibe that would keep me motivated to get as much work done as possible.
The staff at Chrysalis are all young and most are post grads while some are still finishing their thesis as Uni for a student in Chile can take up to 7 years to complete.
I specialized in Audiovisual production. Which at the end of the day meant that I would be working with the businesses that had been incubated and make videos for them. From a simple 30 second product demo to a 5 minute video over a biomechanics product used by a bioengineering team named Infratec to detect the level of Parkinsons in a patient.
I loved the work environment and after I finished my classes at the International Center I decided to intern full time. True this limited my overall travel experiences in Chile but for me it was incredibly important that I begin to pump up my resume and portfolio. I don't regret going full time at my internship one bit, when you do something you enjoy the hours you spend in it shouldn't matter right?
At the end of my work I had become close friends with the office and I still keep in contact with them. Especially now that the world cup is going on!

Aside from the working aspect is the social aspect, everything not related to work. Viña del Mar is wonderful, the better beaches are further north going towards Reñaca and Concon. It's very easy to get between the cities in Valparaiso bay. 20 minute bus rides from central Viña and you're in the heart of Valpo or the coast of Concon. Traffic though can be a little crazy as it seems that everyone enjoys speeding..
The food everywhere is delicious. I never found a bad restaurant. The quality of the vegetables are top, the same goes for the seafood and meat (at least until you have an asado in Argentina...) but there are plenty of supermarkets and fairly cheap to buy good produce on the corners outside the supermarkets. New Years was amazing, spending it on the beach with friends and thousands of others who come from all over Chile and South America to enjoy one of the best firework shows in South America. It's memories like that that last a life time and I have plenty of those from Chile.
Remember how I said I'm half Chilean? Well guess what. I got to see an uncle and his family who I've never met before who live in Limache which is the last metro stop leaving Viña going towards Limache (duh!) and my time with my family there was precious as I learned and experienced a lot of what it feels like to be a part of a real Chilean family. Chileans are incredibly loving people and they will care for you if you treat them with respect and have an open heart and mind to their culture. I would recommend this program for anyone, especially because Chile is a growing nation and has a strong economy and it shows as there is construction nearly every kilometer in any direction haha. I love Chile and I hope you consider it too because it'll be an abroad experience like nothing you would expect.

The only improvements I could make would be having the floor of the Adelante house in Viña better insulated so the cold doesn't get too strong. Other than that the staff in Chile is incredibly helpful and are very open hearted to hear what you have to say.

Angela
Melbourne, Australia
Swinburne University of Technology

3 Months in Vina Del Mar

Overall I enjoyed my time in Chile through Adelante, and found it a good way to explore a new country while having support and help from others. The intensive Spanish course at the start was enjoyable and helpful, and the staff at the International Centre were great at resolving any issues I had.

There were several aspects of the program which I felt could have been improved, one of them being the excursions/cultural immersion aspect. Although there were some activities at the start, I felt like it would have been beneficial for the staff to organise a few more things throughout my time in Chile, even if it was just a get-together to help get to know more of the people doing the program.

I applied to do an internship at a graphic design studio, however was placed in a company which was more of a print shop. I expressed my concerns to Adelante, and they were helpful and responsive. In the end, I decided to stay at the same company, and enjoyed working with the other employees and helping out though I did not learn as much as I would have liked in relation to my profession, such as creating actual design work. Nevertheless I still enjoyed my time there, however I felt this could have been made a bit clearer at the start.

In the end, the experience was still a positive one, where I learned a lot about another culture, was able to travel to some amazing places on the weekends and met some great people. I always felt that help and support was available if needed, and enjoyed the experience of living in a shared apartment with other interns.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback - especially your ratings for support and safety. These are two very important categories for ensuring candidates enjoy their programs.

We do appreciate all suggestions we receive, and specifically you mentioned including more activities throughout the program. This is something that has been tried in other Adelante programs but it does increase the cost and we have found that often no one or only a couple of people turn up! We purposely have activities at the beginning of our program as this gives candidates the opportunity to meet others and, being an independent program, we hope that candidates will then be able to make connections to last throughout their time in Chile.

It seems that overall you had a good, positive experience and greatly enjoyed life in Chile. We wish you all the best in your next endeavours!

Yasmin
New Zealand
University of Auckland

Most productive travel after university

I had thoroughly enjoyed my exchange to Chile to work in an architecture office for three months. The three weeks intensive Spanish language course is extremely helpful and essential to allow myself to learn the local traditions and customs prior to my work placement. All the staff in the school were very welcoming and friendly. I learnt the many useful Chilean slangs while I was there, and I also got to meet other people who were in the same programme and so we all got to hang out and became instant friends.

In my first month I was placed in a housing placement with a local host family due to an unexpected cancellation of my room mate, but I was glad I did. My Chilean family was very lovely and showed me places around Chile when we were travelling with their extended family. I felt like I was part of the family and today although I am back in New Zealand in my home, we are still in contact.

The challenges I faced was to develop friendships with the locals. I had quickly develop friends among other travelers and other people in the same programme, and one day we heard that there is a meeting for Chileans who want to learn English at a local cafe every week. When we decided to check it out one night, we ended up developing a circle of friends between us from the Institute and some local Chilean students. It was great because they were practicing their English while we practiced Spanish. I am now still in contact with all of them, Chileans and the other travelers, and we are now planning to visit one another in our various countries.

Finally, my work placement was the best part out of this programme. I gained valuable experience and skills from my internship at the architecture office. It definitely made my resume stood out when I applied for jobs at home. Overseas internship shows courage, commitment and adaptability skills in becoming accustomed to a new work environment and system. It also shows strong motivation and personal resilience in learning a new language quickly and put into practice when dealing with clients and negotiate with other team members. I believe that this internship has played a major role in my success in securing a permanent job within my field. I am now working as a city planner in a local council.

I definitely made the best choice in choosing this programme with Adelante for my post-university travel. I had the time of my life travelling around Chile (and other countries in South America), meeting some amazing people from various backgrounds and cultures, and gaining a valuable work experience to add to my resume. All within a very reasonable price! Much cheaper than those travel for students packages without the opportunity to gain work experience.

Thanks Adelante!

I think that Adelante and the International Center in Chile should become more active in the social aspect of their students. New people in the programme coming every month should get the chance in meeting those who are in the same programme but have been in the country for longer. After two months in Chile, I was keen on meeting the new students coming in as I would be more than happy to show them around places and introduce them to my friends there to make them feel welcome. It was not easy to find some friends who you feel comfortable with, especially for those who are less outspoken or feel more socially awkward.

rkiefer
Viña del Mar, Chile
Bowling Green State University

Adelante

The only negative aspect of the program was that the housing was not as it was advertised. Also, Adelante never contacted me about anything except to ask that I participate more in their online community. In my opinion, Adelante was completely unnecessary, but the staff and people at the International Center are amazing. As a note for the next question: I would recommend that they contact the International Center directly and not waste their time/money with Adelante.

Response from Adelante Abroad

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the good grade. To the only negative thing you mentioned regarding your two month Adelante Abroad International Internship Program, I just wish we were advised that you did not like your housing, as we certainly could have moved you! We use that housing regularly and do not get complaints ( including from your two roommates who lived on there for six months since they were doing longer term programs.) We understand that each person has different expectations and again, would have had no problem moving you into different housing. And yes, our staff and Directors in Chile are amazing: we always, always work with locals in our same education abroad industry for just this reason.

Prospective candidates are always welcome to contact them directly! We have weekly strategy meetings and Skype calls, so any question they might not be able to answer, they simply forward you on to us and vice versa – a very good, long-term business relationship that benefits our international internship candidates directly and hugely. Good luck in future endeavors, and keep travelling!

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure to provide a travel program that's right for you!