African Impact - Internships in South Africa

African Impact - Internships in South Africa

Take an internship placement with African Impact and boost your professional standing, enhance your resume, learn valuable skills and most of all, make a real impact on the lives of others. African Impact has been facilitating successful volunteer and internship programs for 10 years and has access to over 120 internship placements across Africa, all individually managed to match the applicant’s objectives.
South Africa provides the perfect location for adventure with its magnificent natural settings, beautiful beaches and wildlife, while focusing on enhancing career prospects. Film internships, photography and wildlife photography internships as well as placements in the media, tourism, events and finance sectors are tailored to put your skills to use where they can make an impact. Internships in conservation and medical internships in Africa are also offered and promise to open up a whole new world to you.

• Learn valuable skills and gain experience while doing something good
  • Experience a true cultural exchange working and living in a foreign country and work alongside local people and other internationals
  • Africa offers bigger, better opportunities for gaining knowledge and learning new things
  • Let us inspire you to push your life to new limits and help define your career path
  • Help us grow our community and conservation projects use your skills for good
Africa » South Africa » Durban
Africa » South Africa » Cape Town
Africa » South Africa
Compensation
N/A
Resume
Cover Letter
Weekly Hours
The internship fee for our projects not only covers your board and lodging, and resources used while on project; but it also contributes to the development of new projects in communities and areas where they are needed, and gives us the ability to sustain our projects even during the quiet season. We offer interns 24 hour support throughout their placement and will meet you at the airport when you arrive.
Cape Town

Sarah
United Kingdom
University of St Andrews

Social Media and Marketing Intership

If you want to get some great work experience, meet some awesome volunteers and see a beautiful city, then I'd definitely recommend the social media and marketing internship in Cape Town!

What does the internship involve?

During the first few days of the internship you'll spend some time reading about what African Impact does, who their competitors are, and what volunteers have to say about them - this is a great way to learn what African Impact is all about.

After the first few days you'll get involved in everything! You'll help to:
- Design social media posts and marketing materials in Photoshop (Don't worry if you know nothing about Photoshop, you'll become a pro in no time!)
- Research themes/events that you can post about on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Contact past/present volunteers and project managers to write blogs about some of the cool things they're up to
- Learn about Google analytics and SEO to promote the website and SM posts better
- Visit projects to see how our Cape Town volunteers help local communities

When you first get there Natalie (the marketing manager) will ask you what you want to get out of the internship and she'll really go the extra mile to make you feel like part of the team and get you involved in as many things as possible :)

Where will you be staying?

During your 3 months in Cape Town you'll be staying in the Volunteer House with volunteers from the childcare and veterinary projects. The house can get quite busy (with between 5 and 25 volunteers) but this makes it a lot of fun! During the week you can also get involved in the Tuesday pub quiz and the Thursday night social event, as well as watching movies and having BBQs! At the weekends the project managers are happy to organise lots of activities, like sky diving, safaris, shark cage diving, surfing, sand boarding, wine tasting...anything you want to get involved in! Cape Town really is an amazing place with beaches, mountains, shopping, restaurants etc so there's always loads to do :-)

Top tip!
- Check the weather in Cape Town before you go. It can get pretty windy there so bring some warm clothes!

During my internship a few volunteers did some tours (like the Cape to Addo Garden Route) and they sounded amazing! I wish I knew about these before my internship so I could have stayed an extra week to squeeze them in!

Jack
Livingstone, Zambia
University of Leeds

Epic Internship Experience

It was certainly a lot more epic that I thought it would be. The marketing and social media internship is certainly not your typical internship. I did not make a single cup of coffee during, I did no filing and I only learned how to use the photocopier on my very last day. I was perhaps a very poor intern. I think that the internship that I did with African Impact reflects well on African Impact and it’s core values. Nothing that African Impact does is typical or mundane. Its work transcends the ordinary and dances with the giants of awesomeness. So it is perhaps fitting that my intern experience with them reflects this.

I was from my very first day given challenging tasks to complete that allowed me to revaluate what I thought I was capable of. I was at all times encouraged to suggest new and innovative ways of telling the African Impact story. Whilst with African Impact I was given the chance to thoroughly explore and develop my creative side, I suspect that this involved a good deal of indulgence and patience on their end but it has opened up a whole new world of opportunities for me. I learned a new set of skills that will undoubtedly help me on whatever path I choose for my future.

Aside from personal development that one should expect from any internship programme; African Impact gave me all the knowledge and advice that I needed to create my own adventures. The people that work for African Impact are all fiercely proud of their home city (Cape Town) and will stop at nothing to make sure that you experience absolutely everything that it has to offer. I cannot think of better tour guides. I was given insider information, on which mountains to climb, which breaks to surf, where to eat, where to drink, what to see and what to avoid. I can honestly say that some of my exploits in Cape Town will remain with me for the rest of my life. Even if the internship programme were crap, which it was not, the opportunity to spend three months exploring Cape Town would have been worthwhile in itself.

So how do I end this review? I suppose pretty much how I began; it was epic and thoroughly succeeded my expectations. People often ask whether or not I would recommend the programme to a friend or not. I don’t like this question because I have weird friends, some of them are afraid of wind and might not like Cape Town. If, however, you want to have an awesome experience, learn new skills and explore one of the most beautiful cities in the world then I would thoroughly recommend the Social Media and Marketing internship that I did.

Holly
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Bangor University

Loved Every Minute

This internship is one of the best things I've ever done. After my degree I couldn't decide whether to start looking for work or to take a gap year and travel, so this was the best of both worlds. Cape Town is amazing - my new favourite city! When I first arrived everyone told me that I wouldn't want to leave and they were so right. There's so much to see and do. Beaches, mountains, shopping, bars, museums, sports, vineyards... The list goes on. Shark-cage diving was a particular highlight.

Working in the African Impact office was great. The Marketing and Social Media Managers are both lovely and I learnt a lot from them. You get to take on a fair amount of responsibility in this role as well so it was a great opportunity to develop practical knowledge/skills. When I eventually came home and started applying for jobs every interviewer just wanted to ask about the internship! It really stands out on a CV.

I'd recommend an internship with African Impact in a heartbeat. A return visit to Cape Town has also been added to my bucket list.

The intern/volunteer accommodation changed 2 weeks before the end of my internship which was a little inconvenient, however the house I moved to was amazing so can't complain!

Emma
Bournemouth, UK

Social Media & Marketing Internship

This was the perfect opportunity for me to learn about a possible future career as well as the chance to explore the stunning Cape Town.
The accommodation and staff are wonderful. The best part was living with people from all over the world and making new friends who I have already seen and stayed in touch with since returning home.
The office is welcoming and offer you all the support you need. The day to day tasks included working closely with the Marketing Manager to update all of the online listings, create marketing material, support staff with marketing duties all over Africa and promote the numerous projects that African Impact have to offer. It will make you want to volunteer on each one.
You will fall in love with the people and the country.
I wish I never had to leave.

It wasn't long enough for me to see and do everything that Cape Town has to offer!

African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation which runs and manages meaningful and responsible volunteer experiences and internship programs throughout Africa. The organisation was founded in 2004 in Zimbabwe, and since then has grown into the Africa leaders in volunteer tourism, having facilitated