Creative Internships in New York

ArtBound Initiative New York internships

The ArtBound Initiative (ABI) program connects students and recent graduates with key players in the New York creative industry. ABI will help you secure your perfect internship and coordinate all travel logistics (including housing, internship visa, insurance, and more).

What types of internships do we offer?

Studio Art (for painters, photographers, ceramists, printmakers, sculptors), Arts Administration, Communications, Marketing, Social Media, Graphic Design, Producing, Exhibitions and Curation, Public Relations, Special Events, Public Programs, Education, Development, and more.

Who will you work with?

Artists, arts foundations, performing arts organizations, galleries, advertising agencies, design studios, architecture firm, Film production companies, creative studios, and more.

• Intern in New York and get matched with the best company based on your career goals.
  • Join an international community of creative professionals
  • Become an insider in New York: We will send you the best events, venues and Instagram accounts to follow.

sally

Incredible New York Internship

ArtBound helped me find my dream internship at a creative agency in New York and made what seemed like a daunting process seamless. They also introduced me to amazing creative minds, made me feel comfortable networking and allowed me to make connections in both a professional and personal sense.

I would recommend Artbound to those looking to have a international experience while gaining professional experience in there field. Thanks to Artbound I was able to work with dream clients and build my portfolio. This experience allowed me to feel the value of my work, and has ultimately given me an amazing head start in the industry.

Artbound assisted in finding my accommodation, sorting my visa and making me feel safe and welcomed in New York. I had a once in a lifetime experience and am so thankful to Artbound for making it possible.

Isabelle

Excellent internship experience

Artbound Initiative has given me the fantastic opportunity of interning at The Studio NYC, a very reputable animation and design studio based in New York. The staff from Artbound were dedicated to providing me with the best opportunity based on my interests and career goals. Even before my application, the staff were happy to answer any questions about the program. During this internship I was able to grow and learn professionally, which will broaden my prospects in the workforce and allow me to present a very competitive resume and portfolio. Additionally, Artbound provides a network of other creative people to connect to within this program, which makes the experience doubly as valuable as an internship alone. Furthermore, this network of people become your friends while overseas. Living alone in a new city can be daunting, so having this group is a wonderful thing.

Overall, I have had a truly exceptional experience working with Artbound Initiative. They really help guide you through the process of getting an internship in a field you will enjoy, as well as offering professional advice and insights into the creative industry as a whole. This is a wonderful and personalised experience for each participant, and I highly recommend it!

Anson

Best internship experience I've ever had

I first learnt ABI from my school and had my NYC internship here, and I'm so glad I made this as this is my best internship experience so far (among four of them)! The team invites cultural exploration with other participants and shows you around in the city with museums and cultural heritages. This brings all participants together and keep us included in the city, as it can be rough to know nobody in a new place.

It is awesome to be here as you're building your professional network with other participants in the fields here with great potentials. Explore people around you to get your horizon broadened with different conversations! The team also recommends accommodation for decent places to stay in the city! I'm satisfied with the experience here as they made my internship here reassured! I have nothing to complain here frankly saying.

Rhiannon

Summer Internship at Jean Doumanian Procutions

Through the Art Bound Initiative programme, I was able to intern at a wonderful production company in New York - I learned so much and had an amazing summer. I 100% recommend to anyone interested in furhterting their careers in any of the creative industries the programme offers. Without the help of Art Bound, who was there to help me every step of the process and during my time in New York, I would definitely not have been able to intern at such a prestigious company and gain the experience and knowledge I now have. My time as an intern has directed my career path and I have also met such great people I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet otherwise. Being able to spend my summer in New York was fantastic and I definitely want to return in order to continue my career there. Overall it was a fantastic opportunity and am so thankful for the organisation and to Jean Doumanian Productions for taking me on.

My only issue is with the cost of housing however it's inevitable that living is going to be expensive in New York!
Adam

VFX Internship at Chimney Group

Artbound Initiative helped me prepare for, and secure, an internship at Chimney Group in New York City. The preparation process was flawless. I got industry related advice to help update my resume and demo reel to a professional level. They tailored the internship to align with my career aspirations and placed me in a working environment where I was able to work on projects with other artists.

I gained invaluable experience while working on a feature film and various commercials and made great industry connections. I was able to grow as an artists, and after completing my internship, I feel confident and job-ready.

The ArtBound program has been an incredible experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to break into the global creative industry.

Olivia

Amazing Graphic Design Internship

Artbound has given me such an amazing internship as a graphic designer at Paperwhite Sutdio, a design agency based in Brooklyn, New York. They showed their dedication in making sure I have the best suited internship for my own career goals. With this internship I have been able to utilise my strongest skills and learn new ones in the graphic design industry that I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else. I believe this has given me an advantage in the disign industry in reaching my own career goals. I have also have been able to make such a strong network with other inerns, alumni and professionals within the design industry who have made such a strong impact in my life.

Overall, I wouldn't have been able to do have such a valuable internship without Artbound Iniative. They were able to help me throughout the entire process and gave so much advice and insight into the creative industry that I will utilise throughout my entire career.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Some of the most surprising things I was able see, was that nearly everyone I met who lived in New York were involved in the creative industry, from either design, fine art to music.
Fion

Creative Internships in New York

Working in New York has been a dream and ArtBound Initiative made it come true! I'm interning in a boutique creative agency in Manhattan that works for luxury brands. My main task is to deliver digital campaigns by creating social media posts, motion graphics work and assist with other visual communication needs. ABI assisted me in finding housing, making professional connections and life-long friendships. There is also monthly event where we can connect with the alumni and visit art gallery together. This internship experience not only help me with my professional growth, but also exposed me to different culture and social aspects. This experience help me in growing myself personally and professionally. I would recommend ABI for fresh graduates or students that would like to expose themselves to the world as this will be a life-changing experience.

It would be amazing if the program can organise more meet ups with the alumni
Madeleine

Invaluable experience and exceptional social network

The connections that ABI provided me on a personal and professional level have been invaluable. I don’t know how I would have begun to navigate moving to a new city without the support of the ABI program. Through the community of alumni and current interns, I have made incredible, genuine friendships with like-minded people.

ABI connected me with an internship opportunity that I would have not been able to find on my own. In my time as an intern for SCOPE, I have grown as a designer and an individual. I now feel equipped and confident as a professional creative in a global context, and am excited to carry the skills I have learned through my internship with me into an exciting career.

The Artbound team were friendly and helpful and want the best outcome for every individual in the program. It is a very personalised experience which I am so grateful I took part in.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Moving to a new city was extremely daunting, but ABI connected me with a group of other international interns and locals right away. We quickly built strong friendships and the city didn't feel so lonely after that!
Sasha

ArtBound Initiative

With ArtBound's assistance, I was lucky enough to intern at Printed Matter, Inc. in New York, a non-profit dedicated to the understanding and appreciation of artists’ books, independent publishing and more. Definitely worthwhile if the program is financially feasible for you. From start to finish, ArtBound was focussed on making sure I got the most out of this experience. They provided expert advice throughout the entire visa process, honest and productive portfolio feedback, and a solid community to access during my internship. ArtBound acts as a great source of knowledge and support, but it's important to be independent and make the experience your own. Limited healthcare options (mostly because of US insurance policy) so if you're interning in New York, make sure you understand what your insurance does and does not provide and for how long.

More social events and more insurance options if possible.
Elizabeth

Intern at DTE Studio

This semester I'm interning at DTE Studio, a creative agency that offers branding, creative, and digital services for clients who seek to strengthen their audience. This internship has really helped me gain valuable experience. I've been conducting research on client competition, gaining insightful knowledge on how to strategize and build a client’s brand, and am learning how to target specific audiences through multi-media platforms. If it wasn't for ABI, I would never have gotten my dream internship! ABI has also given me a community filled with other participants and alumni from the program. We have frequent gatherings and events that allow me to make great connections and new friends from all over the world! I highly recommend ABI—the team is very caring and dedicated to their participants. I cannot thank them enough for giving me such great experiences and for opening the door to help me pursue my career goals.

Nolan

Intern at a non-profit organisation in New York

I've done my internship with Harvestworks, a non-profit art organization that focuses on art and technology. My main duties were providing technical assistance to the artist and client, archiving multimedia collection, videography, and editing. This opportunity helps me to gain further knowledge in the art field which will be really useful in my future career. ABI helps to make the visa application process much easier and their support is helpful. This will be the best opportunity for creative who want to have overseas working experience. I am also impressed by how ABI manage the alumni group, those activities such as artist studio visiting and members gathering, which helps me to build my own professional connection and meet more people from all around the world.

Try to meet more artists and creative talents in New York. They're amazing people and they can give you some new ideas that can make you jump up the box. New York is so vibrant and it's the greatest place to experience multiple cultures.
Vanessa

In-house designer internship at SCOPE Art Show

I have always wanted to intern overseas and ABI made it much more achievable by guiding me through every step! They simplified the visa application process and took care of all complicated logistics such as housing and health insurance, mentored me on the development of my resume and online portfolio, and connected me with other like-minded individuals and professionals before, during and after the time I was in NYC. I never felt like I was alone during my stay and it was very reassuring to know that there's a friendly community that I could reach out to at any time. The internship itself was challenging but rewarding, an irreplaceable experience where I learnt and grew a lot as a person and as a designer. It is best if you mentally prepare yourself for some cultural differences and dive into the internship with the right attitude.

Everything worked out well for me but if possible, for future applicants, perhaps it would be nice to have more housing and company choices to apply to at the beginning.
Jay

Learn a lot!

My work in groups in The Studio has helped me develop organizational skills to help bring projects along and keep to a tight deadline. For instance, we had two Halloween projects two months ago, Andrew, my colleague and I were doing modeling work. He was professional but I never did this amount of works in a short time before. So, he told me how to organize the assets and unfold UVs in his way. He also taught me the time arrangement in different types of projects. All those experiences have produced a profound and lasting impact on my development and future studying.

morgane

New York Internship

I've done my internship with Jean Doumanian Productions, which is a production company that produces theaters, movies, and TV series. My internship title was called Script/Coverage Development, and my main responsibilities were to review incoming material (pilots, screenplays, books, etc.) and provide feedback about their commercial potential.

ABI helped me secure the internship I wanted and was very supportive regarding the visa process. This abroad experience is a huge opportunity that'll boost my career and help me get my dream job.

Paul

Intern @ Reflexgroup NY - Digital Strategist

I did an internship at Reflex Group New York and ended up getting hired! It is an international creative agency founded in Paris in 1988. This boutique agency specializes in working for luxury brands. ArtBound Initiative assisted me all the way with getting this internship. The ABI team provided me with a selection of companies that fitted my expectations, helped me in the application process, assisted me during my VISA application process, and also helped me find an accommodation here in New York. They made the whole process easy, and most of all, they made it happen! I am very thankful for their constant and dedicated assistance.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About ArtBound Initiative

ArtBound Initiative is dedicated to emerging creative professionals. Our mission is to encourage connections between participants, industry leaders and global companies. Strengthened by our network of over 150 companies, ABI provides the opportunity...