Intensive and Part-time 1-on-1 Chinese Language Programs in China

Intensive and Part-time 1-on-1 Chinese Language Programs in China

That’s Mandarin’s 1-on-1 courses are available in Beijing and Shanghai. They offer flexible schedule and a variety, of course, curriculums that allow students to make significant progress in a short time. The student has the chance to practice Chinese as much as he likes in class and apply the language knowledge acquired in his daily life right after the class.

• Highly experienced teachers
SIM cards
Chinese
Visa Requirement
CNY
Our programs include a variety of fantastic accommodation options in great locations. Every program can be purchased with or without housing, prices will vary.

Check out our website for the latest offers.

Jon
London School of Economics

That's Mandarin Intensive Programme

That’s Mandarin is an excellent language school catering to students of all ability. With a unique teaching style of taking notes on PC during lesson and printing these off for students to revise from, I was able to grasp the Chinese language in a rather short period of time (albeit, I participated in a 6-hour, 5-day a week programme). While I was a little worried when informed I would have to experience changes in teachers and schedule halfway through the programme while the school moved locations, it is a testament to the professionalism of the school that I was largely unaffected – particularly given that all the teachers are trained in the same style of teaching.

Wider activities outside the classroom that provide an opportunity for students of all ages and abilities to intermingle.

Eric
Netherlands
Harvard University

Amazing learning experience with truly attentive staff。

I had the opportunity to spend two weeks in Beijing to learn Mandarin and chose the That's Mandarin school based on their stellar online reviews. And I was not disappointed! The entire staff at That's Mandarin made the whole experience truly exceptional: from the initial registration process (Thanks Holly for building a personalized program that fit my budget and schedule), to the brand new location and equipment, to the classes themselves where the teaching staff (special kudos to Meng Meng and Xiao Dan!) adapted the speed and content of the courses to my progress, while keeping every class fun, lively and ultimately super productive. I now feel prepared to go out and do much better than just survive in Beijing. I'll definitely come back to further learn about this amazing country and culture, and I already know in which school it will be!

JANNICKE
Sweden

My experience with That's Mandarin

I like my classes at That's Mandarin. I'm focusing on spoken Chinese so I usually pick a subject together with my teacher to discuss during class. This way the classes are always interesting.

That Mandarin's teachers are really good. I've had a couple of teachers and I've enjoyed the classes with all of them. They are very good at adjusting the level and class content depending on my needs and current knowledge.

The staff is also very nice and always helpful. Due to an extremely busy work schedule I sometimes have to change the class schedule but there are never any problems.
The reason I decided to start studying at That's Mandarin is that they instead of using a textbook customize the classes for each student. The classes are very flexible and the teachers always adjust the topic of the classes according to my needs and wishes.
This way I've learned a lot of new expressions that are useful but you won't learn if you strictly follow a textbook.

when I first started studying at That's Mandarin I was living in Beijing so I had classes at the school but when I moved back home they helped me to arrange online classes. Even though it's more difficult to study abroad where you don't have as many opportunities to practice Chinese I've managed to improve my Mandarin level.

Mariko
Australia

Great school to learn Chinese

I have been taking classes at That’s Mandarin since 2014 when I was living as working in Beijing. I returned to Australia in 2017, but have continued taking classes and have a face-to-face lesson once a week using the school’s online portal. This is a testament to the excellent teachers and online resources at That’s Mandarin. I would particu like to commend the dedicated and enthusiastic teachers. Not only did they teach me about Chinese grammar, but they also taught me about Chinese culture and history.

Maka

Online Class

When I decided to start taking online classes with That's Mandarin, I didn't really know what to expect. I had heard from some friends who had tried online classes elsewhere that it was a waste of time and that the student was not given enough attention. But I am glad that I followed my intuition and enrolled for That's Mandarin online courses! There are so many advantages that I just don't know where to start! First, I have to point out the quality of the service and teachers at That's Mandarin. From the moment I got in touch with them, they have always been prompt to reply while at the same time delivering complete information. As for the scheduling of sessions, they really try to find a time that would fit your timetable. I started the online lessons when I was still in the U.K and then pursued them once I got to China; and even with time difference, they were able to find a proper time for me. In terms of the quality of classes, I can honestly say that I have been more than satisfied. The teacher are competent and attentive to your needs. They design the lesson in a way that will help you improve in the domain you want to work on. My experience with That's Mandarin's online classes has been great so far and I intend to continue learning with them in the future.

Susanne

Best Mandarin School in Beijing

I am 47 years old and arrived in Beijing with no Mandarin. However, only 7 months of part-time classes at That's Mandarin helped me to manage everyday life situations.

My teachers’ approach responds to my immediate needs. From the beginning I was able to practice in shops and restaurants, with neighbours and bank clerks. My teachers encouraged me and made sure that little achievements counterbalance the frustration that inevitably occurs when learning a very difficult language.

The one-to-one-classes are very focused, lively and often funny. It is obvious that the teachers are responsive to individual learning styles on the basis of years of teaching experience. Their sound expertise enables them to apply a range of different teaching methods, which cover structural grammatical knowledge as well as playful exercise. The classes deepened my interest in Chinese language and culture and they motivated me to pursue my studies. A thousand thanks to the school and to my teachers for this great gift!

Marta
Spain

Family camp at TM, great summer course

As for the whole program , teachers and staff at That´s Mandarin have been very kind and the online system I think is very useuful, as we can review every day lesson.

Nivira
Morning excursions are very fun,
I think 2 hours of class per day is not enough, I would introduce more classes, writing, listening, etc..
As for the teacher, she learnt more the first week than the second, maybe cause the group she was in was more advanced
In general she was very happy about the teacher.
It was very kind of you to give them the final day presents and the certificate...

Marta
Teacher was pretty good and I learnt a lot. She also helps me moving around Beijing. Online system is very good.

Zlata
Florida

I had a great Summer Camp in That`s Mandarin

Places:We went to the Great Wall, The Forbiden City, The Zoo, National Museum of China, Fake Beach and we also went to a different shoping places and other.

We have eaten amazing chines food and we also had pizzas , sushi and many other delicious types. I loved going to many different places on the week, after school me and the kids in my apartment and in the school went out to play sports, go shopping, go to the movies and many other places that i forgot the name of but had amazing experience. The classes are fun we have a 45 minute class than we have a brake for 15 minutes till the hour is other. During those 15 minutes you can do whatever you would like to do, you can play outside, listen to music, go to a market and ask a teacher before you go so they would know where are you. The teachers are usually very very nice including the master but master can sometimes be stricker than other teachers because she is the rule maker and you have to get used it and just listen, by the rules that she made the school lives for 12 years even more! The Great Wall of China is very hard to climb but it’s amazing experience and you have a slide down if you are very tired. The Fake Beach is fake because instead of the ocean it’s 4 to 5 different pools and 5th one is the biggest. The Forbidden City was great but the garden is very very beautiful. And just saying i went crazy on the souvenirs and because of this i had to buy another suitcase but that will be a carry on! And i will be back for sure next summer:)

Joanna
Beijing

Engaging, enjoyable and effective learning

I am enjoying my 1-on-1 classes at That's Mandarin Beijing. I do them part time, so not really intensive, but it suits me well having 4 hours of class a week.

I find the school very well organised, and easy to communicate with. The class structure is very flexible allowing for me to continue even when very busy, and the process if I need to cancel is simple.

I find the teachers very skilled and patient, and excellent at motivating me and also at mixing it up and creating tailored content (as well as following a curriculum).

The Smart Lingo website and app are also great – and just keep improving with new features. It is excellent to be able to revise anywhere.

More written exercises (even if pinyin not characters) and structured "homework" to help students study between classes would be good, but it's really a 'nice to have' because if the student is motivated they will do it!

Jan
Netherlands

Great Learning Experience in That`s Mandarin

I am very pleased with the integrated approach of That’s Mandarin. It has helped me a lot to pass HSK3 and now to prepare for HSK4. The big advantage as that the progress is recorded in personal files in That’s Mandarin self developed IT and in this way speaking, writing and memorizing new words is dealt with in a very effective way. The teachers are also very committed and diligent in helping the students to make progress. Availability of the teachers is flexible with allows for changes in the individual programs to adapt teaching to changing working times.

Joseph
New York
Long Island University

Great Learning Experience in That`s Mandarin

I really had a wonderful experience over the past four weeks studying the Chinese language under the tutelage of my two instructors: Song Yu and Xiao Dan. They are both competent, patient and knowledgeable. I have learned a great deal and plan to continue learning Chinese. I expect to come back to the school to improve my language skills and to continue studying on line. My two teachers provided me with the skills I needed to continue my studies.
You were also a great help in facilitating my trip to China.
I extend my sincere thanks to all of you.
J. Yves Charles

Brendan
University of Toronto

I like my private lessons

I have been very please with the instruction that I have received from my That’s Mandarin teacher. They have been very professional, very helpful, and extremely diligent in preparing for our classes. The school offered a welcoming environment, and the staff have been helpful in arranging classes, especially when it has been necessary to re-schedule or change plans.

The teaching methods have been useful and well suited to my needs. The teacher has been flexible and willing to take the conversation wherever my interests lay. Overall, I have been very satisfied with my experience at That’s Mandarin.

Miette

I like the Camp! (13 years old)

I think this summer camp in Beijing has made me feel way more comfortable in speaking Chinese. Even though I live in Beijing, and speak Chinese (not fluently), before I didn’t speak up when I was speaking in Mandarin. Now it is much different. Also, most of the places that we went to, I had already seen, but it was different this time, because I actually learned more about the history and culture behind the place. Overall, the camp is really great to make friends from around the world that are in the same situation as you. They are learning Chinese, and are interested in the culture. It is a fun experience!

Meret
swiss

Recommendation for That’s Mandarin

That’s Mandarin was recommended to me through a friend. From the start I was attracted to the option to take one-on-one classes and improving both my spoken and written Chinese. And my goals were largely exceeded. I progressed fast and acquired a thorough level of Chinese. This year I returned to Beijing mainly to take classes at That’s Mandarin again.
Learning Chinese at this school is also a pleasure. It is so motivating to have a smart, kind and attentive teacher to make conversation with you and adapt to your individual language needs. Beyond the classroom, the teacher community at That’s Mandarin creates a very friendly and helpful environment. The atmosphere at the school is pleasant and lively.
I fully recommend That’s Mandarin to anyone wishing to improve or start learning Chinese. No matter what level you have, That’s Mandarin is the right choice. You can individually decide together with your teacher where you want to put the focus to really get the most out of your classes.

other

Gideon
beijing

Great Experience with That's Mandarin

When you walk in the door of Thats Mandarin you are greeted by the smell of fresh tea and the sound of friendly voices, who are they you may ask? They are the people who take you on an journey through not just chinese language but the very culture itself. The teachers are friendly and knowledgeable, making the most perplexing chinese vocabulary intelligible to anyone. The school creates a friendly and genuinely enjoyable learning environment making learning Chinese less of a chore and more of a hobby. Learning Chinese at Thats Mandarin is something I would highly recommend to anyone.

Feng
美国

Great experience at That's Mandarin!

I highly recommend studying Chinese at That's Mandarin. My husband and I both took 1-1 classes this summer at the Beijing campus and thoroughly enjoyed it. We decided​ on the school after contacting several others and each doing a trial class. We found the sales process much more pleasant than others (less immediate pressure) and were impressed with the offering, including the ability to create customized curriculum with our teachers.
Personally, I found the school to be professional and well run. They've​ developed their own methodology, course materials, and accompanying software including a mobile app. They were very flexible with us when we needed to change some class times to accommodate weekend travel. I also found the teachers to be extremely knowledgeable, professional, yet personable. Every teacher has their own style but all teachers apply the same methodology. I found this to be very helpful as I was introduced to different speaking and composition styles. Lastly, and most importantly for me, I really​ had a blast getting to know all of the staff there. During class and on breaks, we discussed in Chinese everything from pop culture to politics, and I am even leaving with a stash of Chinese "dad jokes" :-D I can't thank That's Mandarin enough for this experience. If you are considering studying in China, I would definitely recommend them!

James
King's College London

Chinese lessons

That's Mandarin are the best Chinese school i have ever been to! My laoshi is always prepared for my lessons and ensures the structure is engaging and fun but also tailored to the issues that I want my learning to focus on. The main office has also been very helpful if I want to change any lessons. Finally, the online portal which has all the materials from your lessons plus more helps you to stay on top of your Chinese. I would certainly recommend That's Mandarin to all my friends!

Mike
China

Overall good private school

That’s Mandarin offers a unique approach for studying Chinese, putting much consideration into the student’s needs and goals and building custom-made plans accordingly. The teachers are very nice, always smiling and creating a good atmosphere. Each teacher puts much effort in preparing the lessons, trying to find the most suitable contents for the students and delivering it in a coherent way. In fact, many of the students keep in touch with their teachers even after they finish their studies. The school’s atmosphere is also quite nice, offering the students a large space for self-studying, chatting, drinking coffee and tea. The overall experience I have in the school is very positive and my language skills have remarkably improved.

Roxanne
St Mary's University College

Learning Chinese - a fantastic experience

Being in China for a few years and having picked up the basics I decided it was time to try a new experience in a school. I noticed That's Mandarin when I was cycling past one day and decide to pop in. They were informative, welcoming and from the start I felt right at home. I was able to have an hour trial lesson to see if I liked it and here we are 60 lessons later. Having three hours a week and two teachers helped me to make links between the vocabulary I was learning and both focused on different skills. They communicated throughout and were amazing at gauging my mood and ability to focus during each lesson. Thanks to the flexibility, understanding and fantastic teaching approaches my Chinese improved a great deal this year and I am keen to carry on with the online course when I return to England in the summer. Thank you Wen and Guo Laoshi, I will miss you!!

Mihaela
Shanghai

Make great progress

My 老师 is so much fun and easygoing. She's also great at creating good sets of notes on the fly, as we chat. She has a good feel for when to write down a word and stick in an example, and when to pass up so as not to overwhelm me. Just right. She's lively, interested in what's going on in my life, and easy-going while still teaching me quite a lot. The environment here is very cozy and warm, everyone would say hi to each other. Just love it.

That’s Mandarin is China’s leading Chinese Language School delivering quality lessons to 3000+ students each year.

Study Chinese in Beijing, Shanghai, online or at your location.

Why choose us?
We offer only the best Chinese lessons for you with a unique and innovative approach to