We offer only the best Chinese lessons for you with a unique and innovative approach to language learning.

Intensive Chinese Language Programs

By That's Mandarin Chinese Language School   Reviews (124)   95% Rating

Our 1-to-1 and small group intensive Chinese Program are our most popular courses, focusing on; speaking, listening, experiencing and understanding the Chinese language and its culture. Within this course you can choose to take either 4 or 6 hours of lessons per day.

1-to-1 Chinese lessons are popular for students that want to get up to language speed, fast! These classes provide 100% focused teaching on the student - ample opportunity for speaking & listening & a complete personalized program. Whereas our small group lessons, provide a more social & team based learning environment.

This accelerated course is a fantastic means of developing a secure foundation of the language; if you already have a solid grounding you will experience a vast improvement through our tailor-made course. Learners that wish to maximize their studying and development in a short burst of time will benefit greatly from this program, visit our website for details on our Beijing and Shanghai campuses.

Asia › China › Shanghai
Chinese
Visa Requirement
Cost
Our programs include a variety of fantastic accommodation options in great locations. Every program can be purchased with or without housing, prices will vary.
Highly experienced teachers

Chicago
Eastern Illinois University

That's Mandarin Beijing

Overall 10

Before That's Mandarin, I never seemed to be able to find a method that would help me learn Chinese. I tried books, listening, and even 1-on-1 tutoring, but the methods never matched with my strengths. That's Mandarin brings a new and innovated way to teach their students. I am a teacher myself and really enjoy their methods and resources. The school offers a wide range of programs, that will fit anyone's schedule.

Continue offering different programs to all of the students.
Kunal
Manchester
University of Oxford

Learn Chinese at That's Mandarin Beijing

Overall 10

"That's Mandarin" is a fantastic place to learn Chinese whether you are joining as an absolute beginner or (my case) with basic/intermediate Chinese under your belt. The teacher's are excellent and quickly identify your development needs (e.g. reading, listening, grammar etc) and tailor classes to suit you (e.g. conversational or business Chinese). The facilities are also excellent with TVs in every class room to watch films/listen to podcasts, and a print out at the end of the class of all the new words and grammar from that day.

"That's Mandarin" relies on its web portal to provide students with example texts and listening exercises, rather than providing text books. Those wanting a more traditional structure to teaching may prefer having a text book method to teaching.
Victoria
Düsseldorf-Germany

Learning Chinese made easy

Overall 10

Learning Mandarin is a real challenge for Westerners. There is the difficult pronunciation with four different tones, words you cannot relate to any other language spoken in the West and of course the Chinese characters. But with the help of "That's Mandarin" you will be able to understand and speak Chinese very quickly. Professional language teachers design and prepare lessons according to your personal language level, aims, and difficulties. This way, you get the best support and guidance enabling you to master daily situations in China, be it in a restaurant, in the subway or on your working place.
If you take courses on a regularly basis and are keen to learn your vocabularies you will make great progress very fast. Therefore, although "That's Mandarin" might be a bit pricey compared to offers of other language schools, I highly recommend it.

Jeff
USA
University of Nebraska- Kearney

Filling Holes

Overall 10

I've lived in China for four years, and I had a basic survival level in Mandarin. That is, I could speak certain phrases to buy some of the foods in restaurants I wanted and some I just bought because I knew the word for it. I could count money and tell a taxi driver which way to go by grunting at him. The problem was, as soon as someone spoke to me, I wouldn't be able to understand what they said. It was like there were endless possibilities of subjects they could be talking about or something. Anyway, I only understood certain words. There were serious holes in my ability to communicate with the world around me. That's Mandarin filled those holes. No doubt, I can actually hold a conversation with people now. Of course, I'm not fluent, yet, but I'm far better than I was just 80 lessons ago.

The only thing I can think of to improve the program would be to open a new center in the Wangjing district of Beijing! ;-P (That way, it would be closer to where I live.)
Greg
Canberra
Australian National University

My favourite part of being in Beijing

Overall 10

I've been in Beijing for more than four years and during that time going to regular classes at That's Mandarin has been one of most favourite things. The teachers are so friendly and patient, the class times are so flexible, the class content is well structured and interesting and the school environment is warm and welcoming (and there's coffee!). Most importantly, my mandarin has improved so much since I started studying there. I definitely recommend TM to my friends

Gerrit
Northeim

That´s Mandarin Experience in Beijing

Overall 9

That´s Mandarin is a great Chinese School. Since I am studying Mandarin at the Beijing Campus, my Chinese has improved a lot. For me it is a big help that I don´t have to take notes during class, but the teacher is directly typing all the new words into the online learning platform. All my materials are then available over the Mandarin Café APP, very convenient!
Due to work reasons, I just take one-to-one lessons. My teacher is very nice and competent. Scheduling and Cancelling lessons is very easy process and That´s Mandarin staff always shows a great amount of flexibility when putting together a schedule. The Beijing campus provides a very pleasant environment for learning Chinese. And when having a break, water, tea and coffee are there for free. So, this school is an excellent place if you want to study Mandarin and make real progress.
Gerrit

Stephanie
Vienna

A Successful Way to Lean Mandarin

Overall 10

My experience at That's Mandarin has been amazing. I have had four weeks of 1-on-1 classes and they have been really enjoyable and successful. I learned quite a lot, more than what I would have expected of myself in such a short amount of time. I now feel secure when having to talk to someone in Mandarin.
Also, the teachers are really great and know how to teach such a complex language. The great thing was that I had 4 different teachers, so I got used to hearing more than just one person talk. Otherwise, I would just get used to just one person speaking. They were eager to answer any questions I had, whether it concerned the actual topic or something more general.
The online tool Mandarin Cafe is great. Besides having my personal notes from class and the printed ones from the teachers, I can always go and review them online. Printing them again is also possible.

I cannot think of anything which should be improved.
Josh
Monaco
Berklee College of Music

Learning in Beijing

Overall 10

I have ad an overall great experience. Have learned a lot during my stay in Beijing. The team has helped me not only with my vocabulary and learnig but also has given me great insight into the culture and way of life here in China. I would highly reccomend this course to anyone looking to improve or perfect their chinese. I have travelled all around china to visit new places. The team here has been flexible with my hours and have been able to switch classes on the fly whenever I felt like it

Andrea
xiamen

A Student Of That's Mandarin

Overall 10

My husband and I were sent to work in China, we had absolutely no idea even how to say hello! We found That's mandarin and decided to go and spend three months (10 weeks of study!) full time to get our Chinese to a level that would enable us to find our way in China! We set ourselves a pretty hefty goal which the teachers and all the staff at That's mandarin help us achieve!

We loved the school, the teachers, the environment, the City, everything about our experience we loved and still talk about to this day.

After we left Beijing we moved to Xiamen, I set out to try out some schools, none of which had the vibe of That's Mandarin. I really like the way the teachers tailor the class to my needs, take on feedback and invest in you, they get to know you and how you learn, I think this is unique.

The teachers have become great friends and we chat on we chat all the time!

I highly recommend this school. It is a bit more expensive that others out there but its totally worth it!

Enjoy!

Andrea

Michaell
Portland, Oregon
Portland State University

Great Program, Awesome Teachers and Staff!

Overall 10

I brought my little sister to That's Mandarin for the two week long family camp to improve our Chinese. This program allowed both my sister and I to take Mandarin classes. My sister took classes in the morning and went on excursions with other campers in the afternoon while I took classes in the morning and in the afternoon while she was out.

I am impressed by the level of commitment the teachers at That's Mandarin had in helping me improve my Chinese. My classes were challenging and were right at my level; and unless absolutely necessary, they wouldn't speak to me in English which I immensely appreciated. Having not been to China in 10 years, I had lost a lot of vocabulary. Not only did my teachers help me fill in those gaps, but they met me right at my level and I I was able to quickly continue where I left off. I was only here for 2 short weeks but I genuinely feel that my Mandarin abilities have improved immensely and I will be back!

My sister was put in a class with 3 other students. However, a student in her class misbehaved consistently but the teacher didn't do much about it except to send him out of the room to stand once in a while. This negatively impacted her learning in that her class time was wasted by this student's negative and off-task behavior. In the future, it would be helpful if student's behavior could be managed better, whether through parent communication or removal from the class so as the other students in the class aren't wasting their time.
Paul
Broken Hill

Our "That's Mandarin" adventure

Overall 10

I lived in Beijing 20 years ago so I wanted to come back & see how much Beijing had changed. What better way to do this than to live here for a month with my son & improve our Chinese at "That's Mandarin".
We have many stories from our time here, but the best part was the relationships we built with our teachers - our classes were more like coffee shop conversations with a friend than a lesson!

Not sure really. My son & I both really enjoyed our time here and feel that it has been of great benefit to our Chinese (although if we could stay a little longer I am sure we would be better students and do more study outside of class - so much to see and do in Beijing after class).
Ryan
banana
Carleton College

That's Mandarin Intensive Chinese Program

Overall 9

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time studying Chinese with That's Mandarin. The difference in my knowledge and command of the language since the start of my program is incredible. The teachers have been wonderful. They're professional and accomodating, tailoring the program to my individuals needs and desires. I would highly reccomend this program to anyone looking to study Chinese in a welcoming, productive environment.

I can't think of any improvements
Shane
Galway

One on One lessons at That's Mandarin Beijing

Overall 10

I've been taking private lessons at That's Mandarin for 3 months and Overall it's been a rewarding experience. The school itself is located in the middle of Beijing in walking distance of the popular Sanlitun area. It's in a quiet backstreet area away from the noisy traffic. The school is well laid out, bright, clean and full of lovely staff! Everyone is friendly and eagar to help. I started lessons with the intention of improving my converstaional mandarin and now I can chat to my local corner shop owner every day! Overall i reccomend That's mandarin for it's local charm and very personable teaching methods.

Ralf
Frankfurt

Early bird catches

Overall 10

Started every day at 8 a.m. to get most out of the day. What I learned in the morning in 4 hours of class kept me busy the rest of the day, which means plenty of new phrases, words and sentences which all covered my specific situation in China. The material used the following day always refered to my input resp. answers and ideas. Thus it became an ongoing story about my life in China. I'd liked that approach very much.
I also would like to emphasis the advantage of having three different teachers. Everyone had his resp. her way of teaching, which made teaching interesting and challenging.

Because of the printed material I got each day I feel I missed out a bit on the smart lingo website which offers sound material etc. Well, perhaps that is for later - but I don't know whether I can use that website after finishing class.
Eva
Portland, Oregon
University of Southern California

Best Chinese school I've studied at

Overall 10

I joined That's Mandarin after having lived in China for 6 months, working and studying. I wasn't practicing my speaking as much as I liked, so I asked for my classes to be focused on speaking only. Initially there wasn't any space in any of the classes, but after a few days I received a call that they had found someone my level with the same goals, and I was able to start a few days later - I was very happy that they didn't forget about me and that they were so efficient in getting a class together.

The lessons have been so useful, and I am learning vocab and grammar that I am actually using in real life. Compared to other lessons I have had in China where the teacher just lectures through a text book, I found the methods used at That's Mandarin to be a lot more engaging, and I retained a lot more from the classes.

I would absolutely recommend That's Mandarin for anyone wanting to learn Chinese at any level.

Olivia

Fantastic learning experience

Overall 10

I have really enjoyed studying at That's Mandarin because the learning experience is extremely unique. From the first lesson my teachers created a warm and friendly learning environment so that I never worry about making mistakes and I do not feel self-conscious. Also the teachers really know how to explain the language and culture and you are fully engaged in the learning process. You'll find that the teaching methodology employed by That's Mandarin improves your language level quickly. I would completely recommend this language school. Thank you guys!

Simina
Arad

Great school

Overall 10

That's Mandarin is a great Chinese language school. I just completed my first semester, and I look forward to my second. I started out at an HSK 2 level and transitioned into HSK 3 level during this first semester. I was part of a three-student group, and we had classes three days a week, two hours each time. I loved every aspect of this course -- our teacher, Bi Laoshi, was fantastic; I loved my colleagues; and I loved the teaching method. The classes are focused on teaching you how to communicate based on different situations. New words and expressions are being taught almost organically, as they arise in conversation. Although we don't have a textbook, we use new texts or videos in every class. Everything happens in Chinese, and at first I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it, but it went well, and it's the best way to learn the language. And it's fun. Every time after I finish class I feel energized and optimistic. The only thing I want to do differently next semester is dedicate more time to studying by myself at home. You don't need to do that necessarily because we constantly review previous lessons in class, but you definitely get more out of it if you also study in your own time. I highly, highly recommend this school.

I don't have any suggestions for improvement. I thought it was great.
Naomi
Kuala Lumpur
University of Pennsylvania

review

Overall 10

This has been a very enjoyable experience learning Chinese. All the staff and teachers are very friendly and good at their jobs. The environment is lovely - both in terms of interior decoration, amenities, and general atmosphere. I had much more fun learning Chinese than I expected, even with the more tedious parts like memorizing characters. My classes have motivated me to continue learning Chinese when I get back to America and keep up the level I've reached here.

Alex
Canberra

Good Experience

Overall 9

I came to That's Mandarin with a background in the language and That's Mandarin have been very good so far. Their use of computers to mark down new words is useful and efficient for those lacking time between classes. Perhaps sometimes though there is an overreliance by teachers, but you need to give your teacher clear indications of what you want from classes.

I have had Guo Laoshi and Tang Laoshi, who have both been very good (and patient) teachers.

Further use of tailoring to a students needs would be good.
Patty
Erie, PA

Great start to my Chinese studies

Overall 10

Before I started language classes at That's Mandarin, I was very impressed by the level of communication and helpfulness of their operations staff -- getting my classes on the preferred days / times and making billing easy. I was even more impressed once I began my lessons. The teachers I have are very good -- they've helped me to learn the basics (so far) of a very challenging language and with their encouragement, I'm keeping going w/ my studies. They're able to be flexible in my lessons so that it matches my skillset. I've also really liked using their web portal to help my studying.

Supplement the students' studies w/ course books.
Ofir
Tel Aviv

Very good school

Overall 10

I really think That's mandarin is a good school with highly professional teachers and very good teaching method. I know it is not the cheapest school in Beijing but it is a really fun place, in a center location in Dongzhimen and with a good atmosphere. I am working in Beijing for the last 7 months and since moving to the city studying in That's Mandarin as a part time student. I recommend this school to anyone who is interested in studying Chinese

Ramon

Very good experience

Overall 9

The one on one classes have given me the opportunity to remember vocabulary that I had learned before and had given me the opportunity to be able to practice more so I can retain what I learn better. I have increased my vocabulary and my communication is getting better since I am able to communicate better in common situations. Even when you learn at your own pace, you get full attention instead of learning what you can when you take group classes.

I cannot think of anything that can be improved at this time
Jim
UK

Scaling the wall

Overall 9

That's mandarin was something I wish I'd discovered sooner...

The school is in the heart of Beijing's east side popular district and close to my place of work and about 40 minutes walk from my home; It should have been a no brain choice on that alone...but,
It wasn't until a friend let me know how academic and fun the environment was, with teachers who are more than qualified to answer those detailed questions, so I jumped in and discovered it was great.
They were careful to be receptive to my needs and then off we went, I'll admit I felt some pressure, but that's all part of learning and their structured approach was something I certainly needed.
They maintained their commitment to flexibility and open communication for student needs, are friendly, and we had a few laughs digging into the mysteries of this ancient language.
I'll be continuing my classes.

Andrew
New Zork
Macalester College

Fun times

Overall 8

I picked Thats Mandarin because its near my house. Ive studied Chinese before but its always in a big classroom. Thats Mandarin has small classes, even 1 on 1, which is a big help to improving oral chinese. The class spaces are pleasant, the common areas are a very nice place to study and drink coffee. I often come here, even when I dont have class, to relax and study and work.

If youre serious about learning Chinese, I strongly recommend putting down the money for a private class.

Harry

Immersive experience in Beijing

Overall 9

I came to Beijing to consolidate my beginner level Chinese and progress to an intermediate level over 7 weeks. Since the beginning I have improved a huge amount and I would not have done it without the support from my wonderful teachers. I tried a combination of one to one and group lessons and found the mix to be hugely beneficial as the group lessons gave me a chance to learn at a less intensive rate and practice a lot of what I had learnt before, while learning new grammar and vocab. I would recommend no more than 4 hours per day for one to one as I found it too tiring having 5 hours per day. Rescheduling class times was very easy too. I now feel confident to continue progressing through self study and a lesson every two weeks back home. As well as my ability to speak Chinese going from strength to strength, my lessons here have made me feel a lot more confident in speaking with locals and travelling on my own in China. I would like to thank in particular my teachers Lang, Wang, Cai and Xu for helping me so much!

Have more regular cultural events for students so they can integrate more easily into life in China and meet more people, e.g tai chi classes, calligraphy, trips to local parks. Make sure people know about them in advance so they can make time for them. Make it very clear at the beginning of the course how to log into Mandarin Cafe and what materials are included there. Agree upfront with students exactly what they want from their time at Thats Mandarin and explain how their time here can be structured (more or less reading, writing, translation, speaking, listening) so students know how they are going to achieve their goal.
Edward

My review of That's Mandarin language school in Beijing

Overall 9

I was only studying here for one week unfortunately, but the fantastic teachers took me from a complete lack of knowledge of mandarin to a basic conversational fluency! The teachers were all extremely friendly and the school was located in a hip and bustling part of Beijing. I did 6 hours of class a day, and, while a lot, I learned an incredible amount. Luckily, each class is seperated by a short period of time in which one can take a break. I will definitely be booking more classes the next time I am in Beijing.

I believe the program to not be in need of improvement.
Christelle

Lesson at Thats Mandarin

Overall 10

I have already taken 70 hours with Thats Mandarin and I have always enjoyed it even if Chinese language is difficult. I am renewing mz contract now and I am takin 80 more hours.
My teacher Wendy is wonderful and so well trained to teach. That Madarin are verz flexible about cancelling a lesson if you cant attend without charging you. Thez are also flexible if zou cant come to school and want to take zour lesson on through skype instead.

It is already verz good
Nikki
San Francisco

Summer Family Camp and Skype Classes

Overall 10

My daughter and I attended That's Mandarin Summer Camp in Beijing last summer. We enjoyed it so much that we are returning again this summer!
While my daughter was in camp, I took 4 hours of private lessons a day. Many families did the same (unless they were already fluent Mandarin speakers). My daughter loved the camp and thought it was a lot of fun. The first half of the day the kids are broken up into groups and take Mandarin lessons based on their language levels. Every hour they get a ten minute break for snacks and/or games. Then the children have an hour long lunch break. I really liked that lunch is provided. Everyday the kids have 4 options to choose from.
After lunch, the children have a cultural activity 3 times a week (cooking, art, music...) or go on a field trip in Beijing. My daughter loved the field trips! The camp always had many teachers watching the kids and sometimes other parents went along as well.
Additionally, I have been taking skype classes with That's Mandarin 2x a week since returning home to California. I really like their teaching method and the continuation of what I learned over the summer so this has been working well for me. Occasionally, we have skype connection issues but considering we are (literally) 6,000 miles apart it works well most of the time.
During the summer That's Mandarin offered weekend and evening cultural programs. The weekend ones all went on as planned but some of the weekday programs were cancelled due to lack of enrollment. I imagine during the actual school year there are more cultural programs with a higher degree of student participation.
We have really enjoyed taking classes and attending summer camp at That's Mandarin! Highly Recommend!

Mark
Blackburn, England

Very nice learning!

Overall 10

I like very much the methodology of the learning in this school, the emphasis on speaking is exactly what I need and the notes the teachers are taling for us are very helpful. The first teacher we had was not that helpful - she had little motivation herself and was really terrible at explaining the grammar. Our new teacher is brilliant - she explains everything in detail and is really patient and pushy at the same time.

Pick people with as close as possible levels for small group classes
Natalia
Rostov

Intro to Chinese

Overall 9

I would highly recommend That's Mandarin. It's fun and challenging. I can finally say a sentence or two in Chinese. The teachers are really nice and helpful. They do answer all your questions and very patient with all the students. If they struggle to explain something first time they will always think about it and come back to you the next lesson. The coffee in the reception area is also very nice.

Tongue twisters or songs maybe?
Florian
Copenhagen

Relaxed, fun, super useful!

Overall 10

That's Mandarin convinces with its great locations, the relaxed but very engaged teachers and their open, unconventional teaching style. It has been a lot of fun so far and I definitely want to continue studying Mandarin Chinese here! After only four weeks I feel like I have learned so much more than I would have imagined before I came to Beijing.

The groups are small, we usually are between two and three students, and everyone gets a lot of attention. In the beginning, the focus is purely on speaking, which is really helpful for your everyday life. After two weeks you'll be able to speak with the taxi driver and ask your way around the city. It really is a great experience to study at That's Mandarin and I can fully recommend it to anyone who wants to learn Mandarin Chinese.

Rebecca
beijing

Best Mandarin teachers

Overall 10

I've had Mandarin lessons in London and Beijing, and the teachers at That's Mandarin are easily some of the best. They make lessons interesting and relevant, and are adept at matching the content to the student's ability. We had a lot of fun and laughter in our class while learning at the same time. The class content was matched to our needs so that we could start to use our language skills immediately.

Leah
King's College London

One to One lessons at That`s Mandarin

Overall 9

I have been having one to one lessons at That`s Mandarin for two years.
The staff and teachers are all extremely friendly and helpful.
The methods of teaching are quite different from other Chinese language schools. Instead of simply listening to the teacher throughout the lesson I have translated stories, summarised short videos and improved my listening skills through listening to audio excerpts. This has forced me to use and extend my Chinese vocabulary.
I would particularly like to thank Tang laoshi for her patience at my complete inability to compose sentences on the spot, for constantly recapping vocabulary that has slipped my mind and for bravely trying to teach me characters!
I would highly recommend one to one lessons at That´s Mandarin.

I think it is a very good programme.
It has been challenging and satisfying.
Belen
Merida, Spain

Nice school

Overall 10

We practise and learn by telling a story and adding more information and vocabulary every day. It is a very small group, so we get a lot of attention. We have a break and socialise with the other students, there is a nice atmosphere and all the teachers and staff are very friendly. The school offers coffee and tea for free and there is an open space with a few tables to study before or after your lessons. You can also access a website to practise the language for the duration of your course.

Chandni

The Language Adventure

Overall 10

Learning at That's Mandarin is always an adventure. No lesson is ever alike, and the teachers encourage that. I have had some lessons where we spent majority of our one on one session talking about weekend plans, food and even popular media (like films and tv), all in Mandarin of course! And yet somehow I always end up learning complicated sentence structures and useful vocabularly along the way.

The best thing is that even though you are learning, and learning a lot for the matter, you never seem to leave the classroom bogged down or stressed. Indeed, its academic, but as academic, as time consuming and as high pressure as you want it to be. It gives you the perfect environment in which to navigate your own path in learning the Chinese language, to find your own adventures and memories.

I would say it might be a good idea to experience learning with different teachers to get used to different accents and idiosyncrasies, but they already do that! I would say it might be a good idea to let us learn the language while engaging in different activities (like cooking), but they already have such cultural activities. So really, I do not know...which is actually very pleasantly refreshing.
Chris
University of Manchester

Review of That's Mandarin Chinese School from a Long Time Student

Overall 8

I've been a student at That's Mandarin for about 2 and half years. That's quite a long time. The reason I've kept coming here is because the teachers are of a high standard, the lessons are well structured, and the staff make organizing everything extremely convenient. Rearranging lesson times because of business commitments is easy, if I prefer to have a lesson over Skype they can arrange that too. In short, they pretty much cater for all my learning needs. I've taken HSK 3 and 4 with their guidance, and they helped arrange all the paperwork for that too.

In short, it's a great place to learn Chinese. Highly recommended.

It's a shame that I can't take the HSK exams at the school itself - although I understand there are certain government regulations. It would be good if the school could arrange visas, although again, that's a tough one.

I know - it would be good to get some air purifiers in the school - especially during winter. The Beijing pollution sucks.
Michaela
Freiburg

Learning Chinese is fun

Overall 10

When I came to China, I wanted to learn Chinese very quickly. First, I went to a school with a very traditional teacher and teaching methods. I was bored and didn't like it. Then I found That's Mandarin. All of a sudden, I made huge progress. I started to speak with locals very quickly, and they understood me. It changed my living experience in China a lot. It simply made life easier. Also, learning at That's Mandarin is fun. Often, my teacher and I have a chat over different things. I am looking forward to these chats, and at the same time I am learning new words even without noticing. In the meantime, I have even started to learn the written symbols. But lessons change with my requirements. The lessons are tailormade, and there is no need to carry around old and boring books. Sometimes, we watch movies or listen to stories. It trains my hearing abilities, and is fun as well. I lean a lot about Chinese culture on the way. I think it's the best school you can get if you are a foreigner and would like to learn Chinese quickly and in a modern and fun way!

It's good as it is.
Gurpreet
London, England

Learning is earning. A memorable experience for anyone.

Overall 9

Chinese is by no means an easy language to learn. I could not believe that I was capable of buying a local sim card and booking my travel tickets with less than half a year of study, and only in a few minutes! Thanks to the professionalism and challenging material the teachers of Thats Mandarin provide, I have reached to my high standard a practical level of Mandarin Chinese. Special thanks to teacher Wu Jiao who constantly challenges me with useful oral language, and a variety of useful (and funny) phrases.

If the program had one or two more activities to do online for the review or study practice, it would be even better. But I am really satisfied with the current program, I just think that another study activity like a crossword puzzle or word search with the key vocabulary that we practice in the lesson would help to reinforce the language skills.
Maarten
Amsterdam

Effeciently learning Chinese in a stimulating environment

Overall 9

Studying Chinese in individual sessions has been very rewarding. It enabled me to have basic conversations with the Chinese people around me. I have a demanding full time job but That's Mandarin has always been extremely flexible in allocating classes to me. In fact, the whole learning experience has proven to be a very welcome addition to my job: changing my mind and focus on learning Chinese rather than being focussed on my work all the time. This has been a very effective and fun journey. In large part this is due to the personal focus of the teachers, a well thought teaching method where academics is combined with witty and all day conversations. The sessions also provided some good insights in past and present Chinese culture. I can truly recommend this to any foreigner residing in Beijing wanting to learn Chinese and deepening their experience here.

J
Burnley
Imperial College London

Overall 10

That's Mandarin made a real difference to my time in China. Being comfortable using Chinese has helped me look after myself and learn about China everywhere I went, from Shanghai to Xinjiang. The lessons are well structured and it is extremely useful to have all my notes automatically uploaded at the end of each lesson. The teachers are willing to balance the content to the students' needs, with a good mix of academic rigour and fun conversational topics - I have learnt not just Chinese but about modern Chinese culture. The teachers and staff are all incredibly helpful and the school itself is great, with space to get on with any last minute homework before the lessons and as much tea and coffee as you can drink.

Nicolas
Montréal, Canada
Université de Montréal

Tres belle experience!

Overall 9

Venu à Beijing pour le travail, j'ai vite compris l'avantage de savoir parler chinois à mes collegues de travail. Après avoir visité plusieurs écoles, That's mandarin m'a semblé le meilleur choix: les professeurs sont expérimentés et sympathiques, leur méthode, même si un peu déconcertante au début (ils ne parleront presque exclusivement que Chinois) est la meilleure façon d'apprendre le chinois de manière efficace: en plongeant dedans complêtement! Rapidement on commence à voir des résultats, et c'est très encourageant quand on sait que la logique de cette langue est si differente!
Malgré le temps investi dans l'apprentissage, et malgré la quantité d'informations contenue dans chaque cours, venir étudier le chinois reste mon activité préféré chaque semaine et c'est avec impatience que j'attends chaque cours!

------

Since I came to Beijing for work, I quickly realized the advantage to speak Chinese in the workplace. After getting a lot of trial classes in other schools, That's Mandarin seemed like the best choice: The teachers are professionals teaching full-time, they have a good understanding of what you should be learning and they can easily answer any question. Even if their method is quite hard at the beginning (they will almost exclusively speak Chinese) it is the best way to learn the language: to jump right in! I could see result very quickly even though everything about the Chinese language seemed alien for me at the beginning!

Even though it is hard, going to That's Mandarin to learn Chinese so far stays my favorite activity every week.

Lilly
Sacramento, CA

Unique learning structure

Overall 10

I moved to Beijing very uncomfortable speaking Mandarin so I signed up for one-on-one lessons at That's Mandarin. The curriculum is fun and each lesson builds on the previous lessons. The teachers are very skilled at creating a comfortable, casual setting for speaking so it feels like a normal conversation instead of a traditional classroom. The teachers are very flexible with individual needs, able to read my language needs without me saying anything, and will seamlessly integrate any specific questions I have (even if they are unrelated to the content) into the lesson. I would highly recommend That's Mandarin!

Mona
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

Learning Chinese has been rewarding

Overall 9

I have been out of school for ages, so going back to school to learn beginner's Mandarin was a such a special opportunity for me while living here in Beijing.
It is exciting when I am able to communicate my thoughts, in Chinese, with others and they understand me!
My lessons at That's Mandarin are about to conclude, and I realize that I want to continue taking classes, as I have come such a long way.

Christy
SINGAPORE

Great Customized Classes!

Overall 10

Joined That's Mandarin early 2016 to improve my horrendous Chinese, which I learned before but never really used it prior to coming to China. I sort of expected the lessons to be boring and unbearable, especially in a private class, but to my surprise, the lessons were interesting! Each one was customized to whatever I wanted to talk about, which was mainly about food. LOL. I also wanted to learn some everyday casual Chinese language as spoken by the young people, so the teacher found a fun material to be used in class.

Overall, I'd recommend That's Mandarin to friends. They often run promotions which offer really good discounts. Make sure you go to their website to check them out and talk to the consultant.

Arturo
Beijing, China

A very nice school in Beijing.

Overall 8

The total inmersion method works very well for my way of learning. The the teachers can speak english but they will not use it if is not needed so you learn faster. The staff is very helpfull and the school has all the facilities and conveniences to make you feel very wellcome every time, like a fun place you want to go rather than a boring thing. The teachers are very professional and I can tell they have much experience in teaching chinese. Also they have an internet website where you can check your lessons or even book lessons, very convenient.

Maybe the Mandarin Caffe website could have some more games, or the option to play cards with all your lessons not only one by one.
Cheryl
australia

Thanks for the wonderful time

Overall 10

Two months with That's Mandarin has been a pleasure. I was pleased with the teachers and the classes. I commend the teachers, Yang and Gao, who had different teaching methods but facilitated learning in a comfortable environment.

The overall atmosphere at the school was warm and welcoming. I found communication with the staff to be smooth, easy and convenient. It was also convenient to have the week's class schedule ahead of time, although I encountered problems with the given schedules not matching the actual classes.

I found the lack of information on the facilites, class scheduling and program to be a drawback, with little information provided prior to my arrival, although any problems that I encountered after my arrival was addressed quickly. All of the staff have been helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the school and my experience.

Simon
Cardiff University

Fantastic place to study Mandarin

Overall 10

I have been studying at That's Mandarin in Beijing for over two years on a part-time basis. Throughout this time all of my teacher's have been excellent. The school has a professional but fun atmosphere and courses are tailored to student needs. There is no undue pressure or tedious learning activities.

My teachers have also been excellent in adapting to the subjects I have wanted to learn to talk about.

I strongly recommend anyone looking to study Mandarin tries That's Mandarin.

Rosie

Excellent

Overall 10

The teaching is excellent. It's enjoyable, and the teachers think about how you as an individual learn. Much better than previous language schools.I add to my vocabulary all the time, but we do it in a fun way. My teacher finds ways for me to remember things,and teaches me other related words at the same time which helps to reinforce the learning. I wish I had used this system before. Learning with video clips works really well, and I definitely use the things i learn.

Ada

Three years studying Chinese at That's Mandarin

Overall 10

When I first came to China, i was 10 years old. I started studying Chinese with a very nice teacher named 茜茜老师. Every Saturday, I loved my classes and learned a lot. When this teacher left, I changed to an even awesomer teacher: 飞飞老师. Now every Thursday after my classes at school, I come to That's Mandarin, no matter how tired I am, for two-hours of hard-working (and laughing) Chinese speaking and writing/French culture class.
My Chinese has improved so much and my Chinese class at school is so much easier.In daily life, I can speak Chinese with native Shanghainese.
Thanks That's Mandarin!

Move it closer to my house! (And get more apple candy)
Pinky

Thanks to my time at That's Mandarin School

Overall 10

Teacher Cao Bin has been a very enjoyable guide -he is personable and communicates well. Thanks to my time at That's Mandarin,I've been able to communicate successfully with people in Shanghai in Mandarin and even assist some non-speaking friends while taking taxies,etc.
Lesson plans have been done to be most useful on a day to day basis,but Mr. Cao also apparently willing to provide assistance with random questions no matter how obscure! Since his English skills are also very good,he has been able to offer insight into how Mandarin is similar or different to the English language(e.g. similar sentence structures),which has been grate help in the learning process.
The use of games during lessons to help memorise challenging aspects(e.g. tones)has proved effective.
Learning Mandarin has thus been pretty smooth sailing and has not felt like hard work!

More events to be held every month.
Desiree
Shanghai

Great teachers with fantastic training

Overall 10

I've had different teachers at That's Mandarin, and I appreciate the methods that they use and the obvious training that they have received at this organization. I have been very pleased with my educational experience and have learned more than I expected in an enjoyable environment.This group is very professional and good at communicating with their customers. I've had a much better experience here than with programs elsewhere in Shanghai.

Please consider waiving the fee for adding family members to the contract. :)
Yena
Beijing

Studying in such a friendly environment

Overall 10

Studying with my teachers for nearly a year, they've become very meaningful friends of mine. I shared daily life stories with them in Chinese and talking about our mutual interests was always the best way to practice my Chinese. My teachers always had interesting stories about Chinese history to tell in class, and they helped me understanding Chinese culture, which helped me a lot as this is the first time living in Beijing.

I had two different teachers, which meant I sometimes had to study similar materials again. (this could be sort of a revision so not too bad.)
Provider Response

Thanks so much for your advice and we would try our best to improve our program and courses to meet your satisfactory.

Felix
北京

Very good learning environment

Overall 8

That's Mandarin provides a great learning environment with helpful and enthusiastic teachers, always willing to go out of their way to help their students. The only bemol I can see is the cancellation policy, which makes you pay for the class if you cancel it 24 hrs before the starting time. It is difficult for a busy professional to work around this. Other than this, great environment and great program of extracurricular activities!

Şemsi

Totally Satisfied

Overall 10

I have learned chinese for a five year,but i was still need to improve my chinese and i was searching best way to for it in China.And then i met with That's Mandarin.I think this school is for improve your chinesee level better than learning in any university.All staf and teachers very concerned about your every problems and of course your learning chinese.I can say i am totally satisfied with my learning.I have learned a lot of new things through funny classes.I have already recommend my other some friends.If you search the best way learning chinese or improve your chinese,i think That's Mandarin one of the best way!

Silvia

Great experience!

Overall 9

I've had a lot of fun and have learned tons. I arrived with no Chinese whatsoever, so the progress has been spectacular. Teachers are excellent (and oh! so patient!) and the fact that they adapt to one's rhythm and circumstances is perfect. I started out with 4 hours a day, but couldn't handle it; 2 hours a day 4 days a week is just the right measure for me. I hope to pass HSK3 in under a year and a half.
Beijing is a great city with a vast cultural offering and I have enjoyed the art scene. Foodies will also enjoy the city, and if you like to dance, That's Mandarin is very close to the Worker's Stadium and all the night spots. Also to the area of Sanlitun, great restaurants and shops. And Beijing is very safe, priceless.

Daniel

A home from home

Overall 9

I've been attending That's Mandarin in Beijing since March 2015 and felt right at home from the first lesson thanks to the warm welcome extended by each member of staff to all students. It's an excellent environment in which to study. I was a complete beginner but through the thoughtful tuition of my two excellent teachers I feel I am making good progress in learning the foundations of a very complicated language. They also patiently indulge my curiosity when I want to go off topic. I cannot recommend TM highly enough.

The website is pretty good but I think the flashcard system could be improved. I understand TM is thinking of introducing a learning app which would be a great development.
Brittney
Seattle

The best 1-on-1 program, with flexible hours and curriculum

Overall 10

I've been going to That's Mandarin for more than a year and have noticed a significant improvement in my reading, speaking and listening comprehension (the three skills I've been working on) as a direct result of my lessons. Chinese friends and coworkers have all said they've noticed the improvement as well.

I especially recommend That's Mandarin for adults who have complicated schedules (because of work, family or school) and/or complicated past experiences with Chinese. My work schedule is flexible for three weeks of the month and very busy for one week, and That's Mandarin has been 100 percent accommodating about this, without penalizing me financially at all. Also, I have a really strange mixed bag of previous Chinese knowledge (some traditional characters, some really formal language, previously really poor verbal skills) and, because of That's Mandarin's flexible curriculum, my teachers just tailored their lessons and conversation level to my needs.

Plus, there's complimentary coffee, tea and water. Can't go wrong with that.

Calvin
Beijing, China

Nice school with innovative teaching techniques

Overall 7

I've been coming to this school for about 3 years now and I've enjoyed my experience. The teachers are friendly and helpful, and the support staff do their best to help with all the odds and ends. Nice facilities as well, with free coffee and tea. My only complaint is that it would nice if there were more free extra-curricular activities such as social gatherings and movie events, but I guess that takes time and money. I also think the Iphone app that they have should be upgraded. But all in all, a good school that I will be sticking with.

Jamie

That's Mandarin class

Overall 10

I think the teaching method is very effective at That's Mandarin. Learning at this school is a lot more fun than taking a language in high school or college- it's very interactive and the teachers always teach vocabulary in context which makes it easy to remember.My teacher, Wu Lao Shi, is rather funny and I always feel as if the class time has gone by too fast. At That's Mandarin I am learning Chinese much more quickly than I have learned languages in the past.

Make it cheaper!
Claudia
Johannesburg, South Africa

the school got my second home in many ways

Overall 10

After arriving in Beijing I quickly got frustrated because in so many ordinary situations I could not express myself. The school helped me a lot. I still remember one night in the Underground, I needed to recharge my card, but didnt know how to. The Chinese staff, three of them, were all scared to talk to me. Eventually the smallest and oldest was chosen. When I started to speak Chinese to him and he realized he could underestand me, he got so genuinely happy, it was a great moment for both of us.

Victoria

passionate dedicated teachers

Overall 9

That's Mandarin provided me with a full time one on one program personalised for my specific study objectives. Not only were the staff open to my own thoughts on my preferred learning style, the staff also provided my with more scientific-based expert suggestions for rapidly improving my understanding of Chinese across all facets of speaking, listening, reading comprehension, writing and culture.
Working together with the dedicated staff daily in the classroom has been an enriching and rewarding experience and one that has prepared me well to undertake my next HSK exam.

Michelle

Learning Mandarin in Beijing

Overall 10

Learning Mandarin with "That's Mandarin" has been a very rewarding experience. I feel that I have learnt so much in just 3 weeks. Being a school teacher, I was very impressed with their teaching methodolgy. It is not just learning from a boring text book like at other institutes that I have previously studied with. I really enjoy the personalised classes where you learn new vocabulary and grammar that is related to your every day real life experiences. I also appreciated how easy the teachers made understanding the grammar which can be a little tricky at times as it's different to English. All the staff including the adminstration are very helpful and the teaching staff are especially excellent. I would highly recommend anyone looking to study Mandarin in a fun and engaging way to choose "That's Mandarin" as their school.

Ronke
Italy

That's Mandarin method is really effective

Overall 9

I lived in China 3 years and I attended 3 different schools. That's Mandarin was overall the best one.
I just completed the first year of lesson in this school and even if I am not living in China anymore, I am planning to keep studying at That's Mandarin.
Really supportive staff and great teachers.
That's Mandarin teaching method is almost perfect, they combine in a really good way the grammar part of the language with the every day life part.

Sarah

Best Chinese Language School I know in Beijing

Overall 10

That's Mandarin is THE place to learn Chinese!
Staff is nice, always very helpful, super flexible and understanding. Classes are designed individually and each teacher responds very well to your special needs or targets. I especially like the fact that my teachers make notes for me during the classes with example sentences and explanations,so I can just concentrate on talking, understanding and listening, and Review at home what we did in class. short movies are available online on your personal account, which makes it really easy to Review everything. All notes, listening stories and The class rooms are comfortable, you have your privacy and it's calm, each room has Computers and Whiteboards. Learning Speed and repitition frequency is very good, just adapted to my level and review time at home... :)
They have some cool events each month where you can improve your Chinese beyond the classroom.
Additionally the atmosphere (Beijing) is very nice, and all is lovely prepared to make students comfortable and to support their learning.
I have tried other language schools, but the teaching style and professionality here is really great!

厚德
Swaziland/South Africa

6 Months As an Intensive Student at Thats Mandarin

Overall 10

The first day I arrived at Thats Mandarin I heard the words,"你好!"From that second I wanted to give up learning Chinese and go back home. I could not understand what my teacher was saying.And I thought Chinese was hard as a stone.

However, after 6 months it was a different story. I came to China not knowing even a single word of Chinese but after six months, I was able to reach HSK Level 4 and started learning Business Chinese.

There is only one thing that I realised which made achieve thisgoal - it was the teachers! Young, passionate, dedicated, listening, understanding and continuous improvement are some of the many character traits my teachers embodied. Inside the classroom, they created an atmosphere where you pushed yourself as a student to be eager to learn more and ask more questions. Even at times where you forgot a single word learned a minute ago, they will passionately and supportively wait for you to remember the word without portraying any sad face. I found that really profound!

As am leaving, I will continue learning Chinese most by myself. The foundation in which Thats Mandarin teachers built in me would made it possible for me to continue learning. They tought me the fundamental building blocks of Chinese.

谢谢大家!!!!

I wished Thats Mandarin created a platform for me to practice speaking Chinese outside the walls of the classroom. These might include:
1. Playing games after class with the staff faculty
2. Having lunch with some of my teachers
3. Hving trips around Beijing

I am sure if I had this platform, my Chinese fluency was going to improve at an alarming rate.
Ferenc
Beijing

Chinese language is a challange

Overall 9

I came China and took the opportunity to learn the language. I've learned a few languages before but Chinese is different from them. I had two main difficult areas, tones and writing. I think most of foreigners have similar difficulties.
The school staff is kind and ready to help. It's very important in the schocking mements when I realize that mixed two words which sound so similar (for me, for Chinese they are completely different of course). I feel the staff do all what they can, but an old dog can't easily learn new tricks.

Maybe for non-native English speakers the pinyin system can be more emphasized at the beginning.
Ayelet
United States of American

High quality teachers, friendly and helpful staff, homey environment

Overall 9

I studied in TM for 4 hours every morning for a period of 4 months when I lived in Beijing in 2012. When I moved back to the States, I continued studying via Skype. I have tried a number of study programs in Beijing and over Skype. The teachers in TM are exceptionally smart and creative and fun to work with. The facilities are in a great location and are very welcoming!

Derek
Ireland

It was a very enjoyable 6 weeks at That's Mandarin

Overall 9

I spent 6 weeks at That's Mandarin. It was a very enjoyable 6 weeks. The staff and teachers were very friendly. My level of Chinese increased substantially, mainly in the areas of speaking and listening. The teachers were very patient and explained all my questions in a thorough and professional manner. I would have no hesitation recommendion That's Mandarin to any student wishing to further their Chinese level.

Lily
Beijing

It was absolutely excellent!

Overall 9

That's Mandarin was everything I had hoped it would be. I took a four-week intensive 1-on-1 program to try and push my verbal skills to the next level.

Thanks to a great group of teachers who were patient, persistent, creative, funny, and energetic, I was able to achieve my goal.

I highly recommend That's Mandarin to anyone who is interested in improving their ability to speak and understand Mandarin.

Shelby
Cornell University

This is an excellent language school that teaches in a systematic way with emphasis on speaking, listening and grammar.

Overall 10

I came to That's Mandarin to study intensive Chinese. I took 6 hours of private lessons 5 days a week for a month. I also lived with a Chinese family. I have been self-taught, using online resources and books to learn speaking, grammar and characters for 3 1/2 years, up until my lessons at That's Mandarin.

My classes were each two hours long. The teachers all allowed for conversation and review the first hour, which was very helpful and also fun to just get to talk. One class was spoken translation from English to Chinese. This was excellent and my favorite, as it helped me learn my many weaknesses in Chinese grammar and word order. The second class was listening to a recording and repeating it back. This was harder than I thought it would be, but was useful in both listening skills, and in teaching me cultural aspects of modern China as the recordings were about specific topics. My final class was reading in Chinese characters. I learned many new characters and words from this class. I had told my teachers initially that I was not interested in coming to That's Mandarin to learn writing characters as I've been working on that on my own, and wanted to use my time in China to improve my speaking and listening. That’s why I didn't have a writing class.

My family experience was great. The husband and wife had his parents living with them. Their son was in college and I used his room. None of them spoke a word of English, so at breakfast and dinner we conversed in Chinese. They prepared great meals and were excellent hosts. They even had a washing machine so I could wash my clothes in the apartment, but the grandmother offered to do that for me, which was very nice.

The location of the apartment was in a bustling area about 2 miles from the school so the walk was easy. I could have also taken a cab or a three wheeled bike. The school is in a great part of Beijing called Sanlitun, and there are tons of restaurants and businesses around the area. Every day I'd walk home a new way to see more of Beijing.

The only problem with the school was that the plumbing was not very functional. For a long day at the school, like I had, this was a problem and should be addressed in a better way.

I had no problems with the teachers on the teaching. They were very helpful and I cannot recommend this school highly enough. I ran into many fellow students who had tried other schools and said that That's Mandarin was the best.

I chose them because they had private lessons, and when I contacted them initially, and the woman learned I was doing an intensive course, she advised me to do a home stay rather than have an apartment (I was nervous about a home stay). That opened up modern Chinese culture to me, through the food and conversation. It would not have been anywhere near as valuable an experience had I lived in an apartment with an English speaker.

I am currently taking a 2-hour class online once a week with That's Mandarin, via Skype, to continue learning and to not lose what I did learn. I'm making progress and it keeps me motivated in my self-studies. I plan on going back for another intensive month of studying next year in Beijing.

Kenya
Beijing

One of the best Chinese learning experiences I have had.

Overall 10

As someone who works in the media industry in China, I wanted to have a better understanding of the work I am doing in the country. In addition, as my career aspirations in the media will have me residing here for a long period time, I want to be able to communicate with my subjects and colleagues through their language more, although their English skills are good.

I found That's Mandarin by chance and I have been very impressed with their professionalism and efforts to improve all aspects of my Chinese skills.

One thing that attracted me to That's Mandarin is their one-on-one classes for those who are working in Beijing. As I have a very busy schedule I do not have the time to be in classes all day. Fortunately, That's Mandarin tailors the classes to what you would like to work on. I wanted to take the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK), so That's Mandarin worked with me to develop a plan to prepare for it. Thanks to the teachers' encouragement and hard work, I passed the level three HSK exam. Now I am working my way to taking the level four exam.

Classes are very relaxed and the teachers make learning Chinese fun compared with courses at universities in China where teachers may fill your head with vocabulary and not give students the opportunity to participate in the classes. Teachers at That's Mandarin want students to be active because it is the only way for them to improve their Chinese skills.

The work that the staff do at That's Mandarin is great and I believe that anyone who is looking to learn Chinese should give them serious consideration.

Lauren
Beijing

Couldn't ask for quicker improvement

Overall 10

Over the course of a few years I have been taking part-time one-on-one classes at That's Mandarin. The teachers have all been obviously well-trained and use the same methods (this link word method that they talk about), and when your Chinese gets to a higher level, they have so many resources in their Mandarin Cafe system, and I love the fact that I can use that to review my notes and test myself rather than just sifting through all my notes. It may seem a little pricey but I think it's worth it just because I improved so much for relatively little study time.

Floris
Holland

Very professional teachers, pleasant environment, and great teaching materials

Overall 9

I had individual classes which suited my needs perfectly. I thought it was nice to have three different teachers, each with their individual strengths. The location of the school is very convenient, the building is very comfortable, and they have succeeded in creating a nice atmosphere inside.

Amanda
Beijing

I learned so much from really dedicated teachers in the warm friendly community environment that is That's Mandarin

Overall 10

The teachers were wonderful, engaged and committed. The team was very flexible as I had to change my schedule a lot, due to work demands. I loved the tea!

I have no complaints at all - it was a wholly positive experience for me.
I really learned so much.

Ido
Beijing

Amazing teachers and a great atmosphere

Overall 9

I've been studying in That's Mandarin for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week for a long time.

I had trial lessons in three other schools and TM was better by far. I had a chance to learn with five different teachers and they were all excellent. They updated one another so each teacher knew what I had learned already and what I should learn next.

They were very adaptive and were happy to teach topics you wanted to learn, and focused on things that were more important to you, like writing, speaking, listening, etc.

Another huge advantage is their software. Every word and sentence is documented in their online application so you don't learn from books and you don't need to write anything during class. You get a printout at the end of the class and you can access everything online whenever you want. This is very helpful because you can hear how some of the words are pronounced after class (many of the words have audio attached to them).

The school is located in an excellent area and is right next to one of the best breweries in Beijing.

I highly recommend this school.

Kirsten
Before in Beijing now back in Germany

Part-time Private Class

Overall 9

I am still looking forward to my Chinese lesson.
I am a little sad that it is not possible to watch the movie during the Skype lesson. like the one about Jason. so the lesson concentrates more on reading and writing. But I miss this speaking class a little.

Peter

Private Class

Overall 10

I take the Part-time Private program at That's Mandarin Beijing Campus. The campus is very nice. I especially appreciate the tea and coffee on campus. I improved already my Chinese, even if not very fast. Nevertheless, I feel way more comfortable with the language.

Ana
Beijing

The classes are very useful for me, and they are fun too.

Overall 9

I take the Intensive 1on1 class in That's Mandarin Beijing campus. I found everything very easy, so far I haven't had any problem. The classes are very useful for me, and they are fun too.
And I live in a host family. My host family is very nice and the location is very convenient too.

I don't know now.
Adrian
Hong Kong, China

Thanks That's Mandarin

Overall 10

I spent one week intensively studying Chinese at “That’s Mandarin” and thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

My three teachers (Yang Mengyao, Wei Ting and Yang Jing) were all excellent, and made my classes enjoyable and educational. Even though I did 6 hours per day, the fact that each teacher concentrated on different aspects meant it wasn’t too tiring. I particularly liked how they would record my mistakes/new phrases on their computer, which saved me time from having to write notes. This also meant that revision time was focused on my weaknesses rather than my strengths. The combination of listening tasks and videos complemented each other to accelerate my learning.

Email communication with the school prior to my arrival was prompt and clear, which mean that from my first day the language level was appropriate and time was spent focusing on my requested interests (in my case this was learning medical terminology and consultations).

If you are interested in finding a place to maximize your practical spoken Chinese, I can highly recommend this school. Xie xie “That’s Mandarin”!

Peter
Viet Nam / US

Overall 9

My days composed of mostly going to school in the morning, eating lunch around school then traveling in the afternoon. My classes were long but engaging as I studied a lot of pragmatic vocab and cultural concepts that I then could see or use in real-life situations. The one-on-one system also made me feel more comfortable about asking questions or talking about my experiences while I was in Beijing. I then go back to my host family and sometimes head to town in the evening. It was not very hard to get used to though sometimes the crowdedness in certain places (bus, subway,...) can be overwhelming when I just arrived. Since people tend to speak Chinese to me, it's hard to listen sometimes and understand what people were trying to say (too fast...). However, I quickly adapted and became fascinated with Beijing's lifestyle and culture as well as with the locals that I met throughout my stay.

I was here we watched short movies/ adverstisments that were managable time-wise and level-wise. I think that those ads were a better fit for me as they weren't as overwhelming as a full-length movie.
Mel
Zhuhai, China

Overall 10

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience on a two week Intensive Mandarin course on a one-to-one basis.
I was asigned three different teachers which worked very well. All three were profassional and proficient. They were endlessly encouraging, friendly and supportive. In addition to answering any questions I may have regarding learning Mandarin however unrelated to the lesson.
On occasions I was unsure what was expeered at me or felt overwhelmed, but two weeks was perfect for me.
The cultural events - making Tangyuan and otherday the tea workshop were fun, exciting and we enjoyed ourselves.
I certainly hope to return in near future!
I wish That's Mandarin was in Zhuhai, and I am pretty sure that I will recommend That's Mandarin for my friends who would like to learn Chinese!

I am 100% sure that this program is fantastic!
Monika
Zhuhai, China

Overall 10

I spent about 2 weeks at the That's Mandarin school and I think it is a good, professinal school. If issues arrive they are dealt with quickly and resovled satisfactory. The majority of teachers are well educated to fead Chinese to foreigners. It is a good thing that most of the classtime is spent speaking Chinese. English is used very little for explanation.
The system used that the teacher types the notes frees the students' attention for absorbing the lessons. And all the notes are readily available after class.
What I do regret is the fact that I have not come to study at That's Mandarin a long time ago. By now I have adopted to "bad" ways using the language and have to change using the Chinese language in the correct way which is harder than learning it correctly on the first go.
If my time allows I think I will return for further studies. Even though only for one week at a time. Two weeks for me are just too much. But that is just me, for others longer times of study at one time might be better.
I do like the classrooms and the fact that they have teaching, and I will recommend this fantastic school to all of my friends!

No, this program is perfect!
Ame
America

Great Chinese Language Course and School!

Overall 10

This learning experience was very positive. The teaching methods used were very effective, such as the story-telling and link-word method, etc. Throughout lessons, many sentence structures were learnt, which allows the student to create many sentences as they learn new words. Reviewing and reading the notes after each lesson was also very effective for retaining and recalling vocabulary and sentence structures. Reviewing the material at the beginning of the day was also effective and encourages students to study outside of lessons.

Some concepts were a bit difficult to understand or use; however the teachers were able to effectively convey the meaning. I liked that example sentences are created by the students.

Having multiple teachers created some difficulties, such as changes in vocabulary used. However, having multiple teachers was very good because it allowed me to have exposure to different speakers, which is important during the language acquisition process.

Overall, I can see a significant improvement in my use of Chinese and I think That's Mandarin and the teachers are great!

This program and school are perfect!
Great Chinese Language Course and School!
Samantha
Canada

Great Chinese Program!

Overall 10

I really enjoyed my time studying at That's Mandarin!

I felt like the one-on-one classes gave me the confidence to try and make mistakes and try again. When I started my classes, I had absolutely no knowledge of the Mandarin language. The fact that I was just to thrown into it all at the beginning, scared me a little bit. However, after even one class with That's Mandarin, I realized that this method of teaching would be the most useful in the period of time that I had. And after only a few lessons, I could feel myself improving and starting to understand more and more.

My teachers have been utterly kind and patient with me, and I could not have asked for more from them. My overall experience at this school has been excellent! Thank you very much! :)

That's Mandarin is perfect!
Jessica
Virginia
University of Virginia

Great program

Overall 8

The staff was very professional and helpful. Good, succinct reviews with practical knowledge. Average housing. 3-4 hours of class/day with 1:1 instruction. Teachers very engaged。Not very much support outside of class

Better course materials. I did not particularly like the book and thought it could have been more organized; it did not fit my learning style perfectly. Minimal social activities available; would have been nice to get an "introduction packet" helping the student to enjoy Shanghai
Li
Strasbourg University

Overall 10

All the teachers are perfectly able to make you understand any problem you encounter, by using a wide range of clever examples, then always make you create sentences using the words you just learn. They always pay attention to what you say, correct you mistakes, and make you feel like you are making progress. For me the most difficult thing is learning the characters, but I am getting better throughout the weeks, thanks to the may reviews and repeats we have in the class.

The location. The school is too far from my house:)
Jeremias
Germany

Overall 10

That I first had the small group class was very helpful, because I had another student with me who learned the same way as me, so we could talk after class about the experiences and what we learned. After this intensive private class was just perfect. I had a good relation to my teachers, and it was fun to learn the language. Of course it is a lot of Chinese I learned, but the good relation to my teachers and the every time using of Chinese to communicate helped a lot.

To me I felt perfect.
Mccabe

Intensive 1 on 1 program

Overall 9

The private class is just what I needed. Having in started learning Chinese at "er wai" in a class with a lot of students , I really appreciate having my teacher to myself. This allows you to learn exactly what you want to learn at your own rhythm. I find that making up your own sentences helps you to better remember the new vocabulary. We are now working for the HSK and so I am also using the keyboard to type my own sentences in Chinese and I find that this helps me to remember the vocabulary even more. I really enjoyed the watching the short video classes and having to tell the story. You learn a lot of useful every day vocabulary. it is also very helpful to have all our class materials on hand in the Mandarin Cafe.

I would like to have my teacher, Xing Laoshi back! I started class in July, and because a lot of the teachers were busy with the summer camp, I was lucky to have class every day with Jin Laoshi and a few times a week with Xing Laoshi. During my first few weeks at TM I was very enthusiastic as I really enjoyed my classes with both of these teachers. Unfortunately, Jin Laoshi's former students came back from holiday and so now I have class with her twice a week and Xing Laoshi has had to take her role training new teachers etc and so I no longer have class with her. I am quite disappointed as even though I have no problem with my other teachers, I find that my won personal motivation is not the same and I think that I have not progressed as well as I might have done I continued to learn with the other teachers. i really think the teacher-student relationship is the most important factor in learning at TM. I can't criticize my program since I am basically doing what I want to do ..at the moment studying for the HSK and hopefully after that doing some more fun things!
Boonyanipa
University of Oxford

Overall satisfactory.

Overall 9

I am satisfy with my learning at the school. The personelle atttitude is very pleasant. The teachers performance is highly appreciated. I would recommend your school as the programme of teaching is efficient.

Frances
Brunei

Excellent program, my kids enjoyed it very much

Overall 9

Dominique, Nikolai, and Alexi took That's Mandarin Intensive Course for 4 weeks during the summer break. I am happy to say that it has helped each of them in their Chinese classes in school. It has brought confidence in their learing & speaking Chinese, It has also made learning in school easier.

Diana
Iraland

Study at That's Mandarin

Overall 10

I spent 4 weeks in the Intensive language learning program (beginner level) in Shanghai. TM has wonderful, dedicated, smart teachers. The learning methology was very practical, diverse and intelligent. The school was very comfortable and friendly. On top of being a great place to learn Mandarin, TM is a well-run business and it was an absolute pleasure interacting with all the staff. I will definately be back!

Madeleine

Positive experience at That's Mandarin

Overall 10

That's Mandarin is a good school with enthusiatic teachers who are patient and helpful. Jane has also been very helpful especially in helping me when I first arrived. And my classes have been worthwhile and fulfilling as I feel as though I've learnt a large amount of Mandarin and I've improved drastically.

Nicola
New York University

Overall 9

Finding That's Mandarin was a real blessing. So far I have really appreciated my experience here, both from an academic point of view and a social one. The one-on-one program that I am attending is tailored to my needs (I came in here knowing less than nothing!), and now, after only two weeks, I am able to understand what's going around me and to make myself understood in everyday life situations. Moreover, the school is attended by the most diversified crowd, which adds value to the overall experience.

Rob
Duke University

Great Program – Fun and Effective

Overall 9

I had never studied any Chinese before and wanted to learn some basics before I traveled around China for a few months, so I signed up for a two week course with That's Mandarin in Shanghai. I'm certainly glad I did. I steadily progressed in my very basic Chinese every day. Their method really is to have the student jump right in, and after learning just a few words and grammar rules to go ahead and start practicing saying the kinds of sentences that are most used on a daily basis (often using role play interactions, such as pretending you are communicating with a waiter in a restaurant). The teachers would ask us to come up with unique, original simple sentences using the new words and grammar rules we learned each day. Then the teachers would write these sentences into their computer program and print them out at the end of the day so we could study them at night and review them again in class the next day. It was a great balance of keeping us on our toes to come up with sentences, but also feeling that is it was totally fine if we got something wrong, forgot a word, or took a while to complete a sentence.

The teachers were very friendly, knowledgeable in methods of beginner language instruction, and were an overall pleasure to work with. Each day we had one teacher for the first two hours and another for the second two. However those two teachers never changed - this worked quite well. We also had plenty of laughs in class and learned a little about each other. I only had one other student in my class (I believe all their classes are one-on-one or very small groups) and the small group setting made for an effective yet relaxed learning environment.

This course was the ideal way to begin my travels in China. For an introduction to beginner Chinese I definitely recommend That's Mandarin.

Ali
Currently Beijing - Live in Singapore
Boston University

That's Mandarin

Overall 9

Before coming to Beijing, I had studied Mandarin in high school 6 years back. Naturally, I had forgotten a lot of characters and was not able to communicate as well as I had anticipated. Starting to learn again had its challenges - I often found myself flustered and frustrated.

While coming to the school, it's good to know that the teachers had the capability to adapt to my present level and were able to help me reach my person goals.

The unique teaching style of the That's Mandarin allows students to remember characters for the long term, and also provided me the ability to retain key grammatical structures. I think in a sense, this comes down to the management of the school, and the ease of communication between teachers who teach the same students.

To provide an example, during high school, I had a habit of forgetting characters a week after studying, but over here characters are reemphasized often enough to remember them for the long haul.

The other thing that was particularly useful was the fact that the all the notes were printed soft-copy & hard-copy. I was therefore able to go through my notes while sitting at dinner via my ipad or taking the train / bus / public transportation.

A faster management system so less time is spent being inefficient. Allows students to learn more during the space of 50 minutes.
Pete Mattox
New Mexico, USA
New Mexico State University

Very good program; quite satisfied

Overall 9

Program's strength is its flexibility and ability to meet students where they are at. If you have clear goals, That's Mandarin can help you get there. However, some teachers seem overworked/too many hours. Though they are exceptionally professional, there are limits to any one person's ability to pay attention.

See above
Rick

Nothing to say....

Overall 10

Everything is great! Better than expected. So, I don't have much to say. Just keep up the good work!

Rachel
Nicholls State University

CHINESE CLASS

Overall 10

I like comimg to That's Mandarin because everyone here is kind and patient. I love how the classes are desgined to fit my specific needs and ability, even on days when I am struggling the teachers are very encouraging.

The mandarin cafe could be more functional.
Minh
Australian National University

Great Experience at That's Mandarin

Overall 9

The course coordinator Molly was very easy to talk to, very helpful and always contactable. I am doing a small group class with 2 people and we get maximum opportunity to learn using dialogues such as ordering a meal or asking for directions.

I think the teaching method is very effective, combining vocabulary, grammar and dialogues in each section.

Lorenzo
Milan, Italy

Overall 10

Chinese language is hard to master, but the teachers at this school have proved to be very skilled in showing that even though it may be hard there are many ways to approach it.

The program is much better than many of the other programs I have encountered. The online platform offered is a precious resource for reviewing your work after class.

Michal
Europe

Enjoyed Intensive 1on1 Class

Overall 9

I had the chance of taking an Intensive Course at That's Mandarin. The School offered me 6 hours of classes per day that fully met my needs. I really enjoyed the one-on-one lessons with nice, helpful and experienced teachers. They applied various methods of teaching (listenings, videos, recordings), so I never got bored.

All in all I think the course proved to be extremely effective for me. I learned alot of useful vocabulary. I revised grammar, I gained more confidence when speaking Chinese and I immersed myself in Chinese culture. It was a priceless experience and I hope I will come back to That's Mandarin one day.

Emma
University of Cape Town

Great Experience Learning Chinese

Overall 8

I came to China unable to speak any Mandarin. I have been studying at That's Mandarin for the last 5 months and I have noticed such a big improvement. Not only have I learnt alot, I am also able to retain it and use it in my day to day life.

What I like best about this school is their teaching method. It is very interactive and uses real life scenarios to help you remember useful vocab. The teachers are great and really helpful. I found pronounciation to be the hardest part of learning Mandarin. However both my teachers were great at finding clever methods to help me pronounce the different tones correctly.

I have really enjoyed learning Mandarin and plan on continuing with That's Mandarin when I am back in China.

Dee
in Beijing, China

Review of That's Mandarine Course

Overall 9

Hi, I am not sure if I am doing this review properly, but I was asked by Molly to write down my experience at the school so far. So, here it is.
When I first came to school, I could not speak any Mandarin, I though the language was very difficult and that I will never be able to learn. I had difficulties in life in Beijing because of that. then, I applied for the beginner's course (1 month - 20 classes) and I had a free trial class as well. I did not use That's Mandarin accommodation as I live in Beijing in my own apartment, so I did not know how to rate accommodation and social scene questions. But, I can tell about the course. I was very pleased with my teacher. She was very patient with me, very knowledgeable, very friendly and ready to explain any communication needs that I had. For example, after only a couple of weeks in her class, I was able to go to the pharmacy all by myself and buy hydrogen peroxide, and I asked the pharmacist all in Mandarin and she was able to understand me. This is all because my Mandarin teacher explained exactly how to use the words I already knew and new words that she introduced. Another example, the same went on with me going to the cell phone service provider and asking for a new telephone number and internet. My teacher trained me how to make this conversation, and I went there and they understood what I wanted. So, my pronunciation also improved, not just vocabulary.
I am also very pleased with the fact that the teacher provides the printed version of the lesson in Chinese characters, pinyin, English, so I can review it at home and use it in every day activities. This is so helpful, because I can make my little portfolio and then combine what I learned from these lessons. Also, these printouts are all dated, so I can remind myself better and use the printouts according to the dates. This is very convenient.
The atmosphere in the school is very friendly and welcoming. Offering tea is such a great idea, and the large lobby space where I could always relax after work and eat a snack before the class.
I like this school and will sing up for the next level course after this one finishes next week.

I don't know, because I have never been in any other Mandarin school so I cannot compare them. This one was my first and I really like it very much. If they keep that same time of my classes and the same teacher I will sign up for the next level.
The only thing maybe is that the administration should have informed me about the class that was canceled because of May 1st holiday and provide a different date for making up this class. They did not do that, but when I noticed that my course will be shorter for 2 classes that they canceled I emailed them and asked them to provide a different date for these two classes or to refund me. They did provide different date, but hadn't I intervened, they would just leave it like that and although I paid for 20 classes, because of holiday they would have given me just 18. However, they did correct themselves and apologized when I notified them, so I will have my two classes next week.
My point is that they should have planned this holiday cancelations in advance and tell me in advance about the make up classes. that's all.
Allison
University of Queensland

Highly recommended

Overall 10

Before I came to Shanghai, I was really concerned about two things - the school and the accommodation. Both have not only met my expectations but have exceeded them as well! After my Skype trial class, my teacher suggested I enrol in the one-on-one classes (as I already speak basic Mandarin). Best decision I made! I have very much enjoyed my classes (I only have 2 weeks left and I already know I will miss my classes, other students that I have gotten to know over the last 1.5 months and of course, the teachers. The teachers at That's Mandarin are friendly, patient and dedicated to teaching Mandarin in an informal environment. Emphasis is placed on student participation, as opposed to sitting in a classroom, listening to the teacher talk. The school environment is very friendly and casual - you walk in to the school and you just feel so at ease - the happy and friendly atmosphere of the school certainly made learning fun and coming every day for 4 hours each day not so daunting as I first thought!

The apartment the school arranged for me is amazing - looks exactly like the photos on their website. The apartment is located about 40 minutes away from the school - but don't be put off by the time - the Shanghai Metro system is efficient and reliable - so it's actually not that far! In any case, my daily commute has given me the opportunity to explore new areas, shopping centres, restaurants and cafes! All I can say is you will not be disappointed by the apartment!

Finally, I have made many new friends through That's Mandarin - most of us have now in fact become travel buddies!

I would highly recommend That's Mandarin to anyone who is keen to learn Mandarin in a friendly and fun environment and meet like-minded people.

At my request, my teachers found a very useful Chinese-English textbook covering my field of study. The textbook was great - although a little difficult in the beginning. As I enrolled in one-on-one classes, we finished the textbook after5 weeks. But unfortunately, it looks like Chinese-English textbooks covering my field of study are not that common. So if I had to say one thing - it would have been great to have another textbook to work off. But the teachers found other useful material.
Ethan
University of Michigan

That's Mandarin Shanghai

Overall 9

After the group class at That's Mandarin I was very satisfied. The teachers are very young and energetic and take the time to make sure you really understand the material. Classes move fast and the course work is challenging. The apartment that they provide for you is very nice, close to the metro and lots of shops and restaurants. The social events are a great way to meet people and make new friends. I have really enjoyed my experience so far and would highly recommend it.

I don't really have any.
Tony
Geneva, Switzerland
Queen Mary- University of London

Hard work pays off

Overall 10

As its name implies, the intensive course requires hard and consistent work if you want to get the most out of it. regular home work brings its rewards. But the weekends are without classes so there is plenty of time to explore the city. The interaction with the teachers is open and friendly so you will also learn a lot about daily life in China and discover the intricacies of Chinese culture. You will come away greatly enriched.

One thing in need of change are perhaps more cultural events.
Jacky
Saint-Denis, France

First stay in Shanghai

Overall 9

Thanks to That's mandarin and to the teachers, though I didn't know much chinese, after two weeks I was able to ask my way, take a taxi... It was a real linguistic experience that made me progress though I still have much to learn. Thanks to the teachers! The accommodation was very comfortable and not far from the school. It was a good experience!

Tommy
London,UK
Birkbeck- University of London

Tailor-made to my learning style

Overall 9

My program at That’s Mandarin was quite unique. I’m in university in London studying Chinese and business, and this summer I decided to come and try to get a step ahead for next year. I gave a copy of my textbook for next year to my teachers, and they divided the content between them. I have one teacher for vocabulary, one for grammar, and one for general speaking practice.

This was my second time studying with That’s Mandarin. Last year I took a two week course, and what appealed to me was their ability to tailor a class to my time and my needs within a very short period of time.

I had previously spent time studying at a Chinese university, and I really prefer the personal aspect of class at That’s Mandarin. In university, you might get the chance to speak for just five minutes out of two hours of class, but here, you speak almost constantly throughout the lesson. The teachers are very funny, really good at teaching, and especially good at constructing clever and effective ways for you to remember words and characters. This works very well with my learning style, much more so than just being taught out of a textbook.

I don’t really have anything negative to say, my experience here has been positive all around, and I’m already looking for an opportunity to come back again next summer.
Crystal
Hongkong

Teaches real life Chinese!

Overall 10

After finishing an Internship in Beijing, I was looking into taking part in an intensive Chinese program, I was staying with some family who suggested That’s Mandarin and I am very glad they did. I choose the small group classes as it was just me and one other student, I found that after a small group of lessons I was able to go out around the city and just talk with people and practice my Mandarin right away.

When I had my trial class, we discussed focusing on my proper pronunciation; this was an area I had struggled with. Being in the small group class gave me lots of speaking time where I was able to focus and build confidence with my speaking. I think there’s a very cool part about That’s Mandarin, in that they teach what you really need to know for daily life rather than when I learnt Chinese back home they focused more on the reading and writing, whereas since being here and concentrating on my listening and speaking skills I have experienced a really fast progression with Mandarin.

For the first few weeks we didn’t use textbooks and did reading exercises from articles, I prefer the textbook method so that I can keep everything together, I explained this to the teacher and we started using this in class, which I was really happy about.
Bertine
Doetinchem, Netherlands

That’s Mandarin teachers you to speak right away.

Overall 10

I did the intensive program which was 4 hrs day, from 10-12 in the mornings & 1 to 3 in the afternoons, 5 days a week. I signed up for 3 months and am currently having a break for the summer but have decided to sign up again at the end of August. The intensive course covers speaking, listening, reading & writing so you learn every part of the Chinese language, which includes learning the Chinese characters which is quite hard! I think That’s Mandarin has an interesting approach in teaching you to speak straightaway, I choose to study the video classes where they show you a video and you need to describe what you see, this way you learn a variety of things right away, this really worked for me. I heard at University people can study for over a year and still can’t speak Chinese because they learn a lot of reading and writing.

I started learning as an absolute beginner, since my studies I can see that I can understand a lot more, when people are talking to me in the beginning I was just lost but now I kind of know what they are talking about and sometimes I can recognize full sentences and phrases, I can see the progress I have made.

I don’t have any, which is why I am going back to study. Also, I forgot to mention that the teachers are great! I had three altogether and really liked all of them.
Lisbeth
Yale University

Really great, flexible teachers a very positive overall learning experience

Overall 10

I came to study Chinese at That’s Mandarin to pick up some of the Chinese that I’d forgotten over the past 6 years and it’s also fun, at this point it’s a hobby for me but maybe in the future I would like to work using my Chinese.

My classes were really fun, we talked a lot in class and listened to recorded conversations, watched videos and read short articles, so I would get to practice all sides of the language. The video classes were probably my favorite type of class; they were certainly the most fun! I’d get to watch the film and then discuss what’s going on and it was very good for learning practical vocabulary, revising old words, new words as well as descriptive vocabulary. The listening classes were also very useful as we’d get into the grammar which is obviously very important.

The teachers are great, they have their plan of what they want to work on but they’re also very flexible; if I told them at the last minute that I wanted to focus on a certain aspect in class they were always willing to do this with me. I really liked the Mandarin Café, the fact that all my notes were online, I can login and find them and they’re always there which is a great feature.

I found that the games on the Mandarin Café could be improved on, although from what I hear they are working on that now, I like that I can still access my account now I’m back home and will look forward to this feature being improved on.
Livia
Mingir, Moldova

The perfect program for learning real, conversational Mandarin

Overall 10

I’ve been studying here for three months now. I like the That’s Mandarin teaching style, it’s a conversational teaching style. I came here actually to learn to speak Chinese & the best way to do that is to speak as much as you can and that’s what I’ve been doing here, everyday, in class with my teachers and I love it! You can personalize your classes, you work with the teacher to personalize it to your language goals and I don’t know if you can do that in any ever school, but this is pretty important to me.

I requested accommodation through the school and I’m staying in a really nice shared apartment with another student, it’s in a really nice neighborhood where I get the opportunity to practice my Chinese with my neighbors.

Everyday I look forward to coming to class, which is quite a surprise for me! Now I’m able to express myself, which is great! Two months ago I thought it was impossible for me to do that but I’m really satisfied with what I’m doing here.

Manni
Amsterdam

I'm lucky that my teacher is giving me mnemonic to remember the words.

Overall 9

the words and senses you learn on the private lessons are more focused on the student (what he or she needs to know for his conversations). But if you don't review all the words daily it's pretty hard to not forget them. I'm lucky that my teacher is giving me mnemonic to remember the words.

he program is pretty good! If i could change one think i would add a function in mandarincafe.com that it will randomly choose 15 or 20 words/ senses from the students "my course" page and ask it in a test.
Gordon
Sydney
University of Sydney

The teacher of professionalism

Overall 9

The teacher of professionalism in this course has been exemplary. The teachers are able to guide you smoothly through the curriculum whilst still tailoring each lesson to your personal needs.The accommodation provided by the school was beyond expectations. All the cooking, working and cleaning amenities one could hope for. And the rooms are serviced daily!

The online aspect of the course is done very well, I wish it was slightly more user friendly though. I also wish I could add supplementary notes to the daily lessons that my teachers upload to my profile.
Anja
Shanghai

Fast progress, nice learning environment, very nice staff

Overall 10

As the lessons are designed according to the needs and questions of the students, there is fast progress in conversational skills. The staff at the school is very nice, helpful and supportive. I always enjoyed coming to the school and i haven't had similar progress learning chinese with any other teacher in a different school or university.

diana
London,UK

Total Chinese Language Immersion

Overall 10

Since starting at That’s Mandarin my Chinese has improved dramatically. Although we cover lots of new material each class, I find that the most rewarding aspect of my classes is the improvement in my fluency.

That’s Mandarin do not simply teach you vocab and grammar, but really encourage you to use your Chinese to express yourself with ease. The teachers are full of energy, always friendly, patient and encouraging.

I have also attended a few cultural events at the Shanghai campus, including the Dumpling Party! The activities are especially fun as I get the chance to chat in Chinese to all the native teachers, and to meet other expats living in Shanghai and compare my Chinese to theirs!

蓝子墨
Luxembourg
Miami University

Business Chinese

Overall 10

I am woking in China and the every day vocabulary that I learn are very useful as I do not learn them in my everyday Chinese.
As I do not use the words I learn that often I have the chance to repeat an re-repeat the words in class which help me memorize them easier.

a two hour a day class every day of the week gives me a large amount of new words. As I work I don't always have time to revise. A quick 20-30 mins revision session before starting the new material would be useful.
Mei
HK
City University of New York

Best Mandarin school!

Overall 10

After trying 4 schools this is finally a school that learns you to talk, listen and read, and not only passively let you read texts in pinyin. The teachers are knowledgeable, enthusiastic and push you to improve. Very happy here, I finally trust I will be able to learn this language.

even shorter cancellation time, which is with 24 hours notice already very fair.
AntoineM
France

The best school around (Beijing)

Overall 10

Before going for That's Mandarin, I had spent 2 weeks researching schools and trying 9 of them.
That's Mandarin ended up in first position for a few reasons:
- Computer aided learning, where the teacher writes the notes and then print them out (so 100% of the time is actually spent on learning and not taking notes)
- Flexible topics decided in advance according to your needs
- Free coffee, tea, and an actually good vibe in the lounge where people meet up and talk.

I have met some great people there, and more importantly, after 2 months of intensive learning, I can now have proper conversations with anyone in the street!

Nothing really, they pretty much nailed it
Steven

Best language school in Beijing

Overall 10

I have been studying at That’s Mandarin for 6 months and can honestly say I have enjoyed every single lesson and felt I have made substantial progress learning Chinese while doing so.

The school has a warm friendly feel and possess an environment of positive learning/ study which is reflected in all students and teachers who are happy to be there. I think the schools biggest strength is the teachers they are extremely qualified, professional and welcoming, tailoring my program to exactly what I want to achieve, as well as using real world examples which are directly relate to my life in Beijing. The intense program I follow concentrates on translation, reading and speaking and has improved my ability and confidence in Chinese so much so that I really look forward to lessons and using what I have learnt in real situations.

I cannot speak highly enough about the school and the teachers, it has genuinely been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I have done since being in Beijing.

TomN
Yale University

Great program and teachers

Overall 10

I have been student at That's Mandarin for a few years and really like their program and teaching methods (thats the reason I never had a reason to change the school after finding out about them).

Their teaching methods emphasize acquiring useful Chinese language skills (speaking, reading, writing) rather then blindly memorizing specific words. They are also more then willing to focus on specific areas that are the most important to you for life or work, and don't force you to just follow a predefined program.

All the teachers that I met are very friendly and professional. They are all professional teachers, native Chinese speakers, and speak with proper accent (clean putonghua, rather than regional variants).

Joe

Great Way to Learn

Overall 9

I love the format here. Notes are taken on a computer, and done by the teacher, so I can focus squarely on what I'm learning. I get a print out at the end of class and time to make my own notes on the printout.

I have classes that focus on different areas of learning. Now I practice listening comprehension in one class, and conversation in another. The classes have evolved to my changing needs, which is great.

The teachers provide great encouragement, but it's also a low stress environment. They are understanding of my full time job schedule and they accommodate my needs appropriately.

The school location is great. Conveniently located. I love that I'm in a school setting, which puts me in the right frame of mind to learn, but I'm still in a one-on-one engagement with my teacher, so I get full attention.

I'm convinced it's the best school in Beijing.

Honestly can't think of anything right now. This school is flexible enough that you make it what you want, and they will cater to it.
Nicholas
University of Liverpool

Best in Beijing

Overall 10

I have been trying to find a good school to learn Mandarin for a while, I have tried a few schools in Beijing which have been very disappointing and cost me a lot of money, the teaching methods really weren't effective, picking up a text book and reading through it with a teacher was not a good way to learn. With the intensive Chinese program from that's mandarin I have been able to learn a lot even in just 2 weeks, the teachers tailor the classes for my personal needs and by using stories about typical daily situations I have managed to pick up a lot of vocabulary and it has really given me the confidence to practice outside of class. By using Mandarin cafe an online format where the teachers are able to write your notes during the lesson makes for a better learning experience as I don't have worry about writing down pinyin and translations which can take a long time. I am able to see all my notes from every class, online anywhere with my own log in details for the Mandarin cafe, I never have to worry about losing my personal notes. I will definitely continue studying at That's Mandarin and believe I will be able to speak Chinese more confidently.

NicoleL
Pennsylvania State University

An ongoing student

Overall 10

An overall great experience, the campus is in a great location and is actually a really nice environment. When you're out and about in Beijing you will understand how important it is to have a calm & safe haven to escape too!

I really liked my teacher and felt that my Chinese came on a lot quicker than I had expected, because the purpose of my visit was solely based on learning Mandarin I was already motivated, so I was quite serious on taking everything I learnt in class and desperately applying it to real-life situations.

The difficulties I faced in Beijing were much more to do with the City itself, I never expected the culture shock to hit as hard as it did! Things like crossing the road seemed like a minefield to start with!

I would 100% recommend That's Mandarin, I am still a student with them through an online school program, which is also great. I hope this is helpful for those of you looking to stay in China. Be prepared for an initial shock/confusion!

The price is more than a lot of other schools, but from friends I met in Beijing who paid less money they were not experiencing the same quality that I did. So I think it really depends on your budget and priorities.

That’s Mandarin is China’s leading Chinese Language School delivering quality lessons to 3000+ students each year. Study Chinese in Beijing, Shanghai, online or at your location.

WHY CHOOSE THAT’S MANDARIN?

Methods
We developed our own innovative teaching methods (Link Word and Story Telling) and learning platform (Mandarin Café) to help students learn faster, better and smarter.

Community
When you join That’s Mandarin, you’re joining more than a school. You’ll be part of a community that supports and encourage each other to learn and explore the various aspects of China.

Variety Of Courses
Whatever your purpose of learning Chinese is, we are confident we can create a course to fulfill your needs and equip you with the right tools to survive any types of conversation.

Online Programs
You can learn Mandarin whenever and wherever you are with our online programs, taught by the same teachers as our on-site classes and with the same quality of teaching methods and lessons.

Community Photos: