Intensive 1-on-1 Chinese Language Program

Intensive 1-on-1 Chinese Language Program

That’s Mandarin’s 1-on-1 courses are available in Beijing and Shanghai. They offer flexible schedule and a variety, of course, curriculums that allow students to make significant progress in a short time. The student has the chance to practice Chinese as much as he likes in class and apply the language knowledge acquired in his daily life right after the class. Intensive students can join our cultural events for free in Beijing or Shanghai, which is a good chance to make new friends.

• Highly experienced teachers
SIM cards
Chinese
Visa Requirement
CNY
Our programs include a variety of fantastic accommodation options in great locations. Every program can be purchased with or without housing, prices will vary.

Joanna
Beijing

Engaging, enjoyable and effective learning

I am enjoying my 1-on-1 classes at That's Mandarin Beijing. I do them part time, so not really intensive, but it suits me well having 4 hours of class a week.

I find the school very well organised, and easy to communicate with. The class structure is very flexible allowing for me to continue even when very busy, and the process if I need to cancel is simple.

I find the teachers very skilled and patient, and excellent at motivating me and also at mixing it up and creating tailored content (as well as following a curriculum).

The Smart Lingo website and app are also great – and just keep improving with new features. It is excellent to be able to revise anywhere.

More written exercises (even if pinyin not characters) and structured "homework" to help students study between classes would be good, but it's really a 'nice to have' because if the student is motivated they will do it!

Jan
Netherlands

Great Learning Experience in That`s Mandarin

I am very pleased with the integrated approach of That’s Mandarin. It has helped me a lot to pass HSK3 and now to prepare for HSK4. The big advantage as that the progress is recorded in personal files in That’s Mandarin self developed IT and in this way speaking, writing and memorizing new words is dealt with in a very effective way. The teachers are also very committed and diligent in helping the students to make progress. Availability of the teachers is flexible with allows for changes in the individual programs to adapt teaching to changing working times.

Joseph
New York
Long Island University

Great Learning Experience in That`s Mandarin

I really had a wonderful experience over the past four weeks studying the Chinese language under the tutelage of my two instructors: Song Yu and Xiao Dan. They are both competent, patient and knowledgeable. I have learned a great deal and plan to continue learning Chinese. I expect to come back to the school to improve my language skills and to continue studying on line. My two teachers provided me with the skills I needed to continue my studies.
You were also a great help in facilitating my trip to China.
I extend my sincere thanks to all of you.
J. Yves Charles

Brendan
University of Toronto

I like my private lessons

I have been very please with the instruction that I have received from my That’s Mandarin teacher. They have been very professional, very helpful, and extremely diligent in preparing for our classes. The school offered a welcoming environment, and the staff have been helpful in arranging classes, especially when it has been necessary to re-schedule or change plans.

The teaching methods have been useful and well suited to my needs. The teacher has been flexible and willing to take the conversation wherever my interests lay. Overall, I have been very satisfied with my experience at That’s Mandarin.

Miette

I like the Camp! (13 years old)

I think this summer camp in Beijing has made me feel way more comfortable in speaking Chinese. Even though I live in Beijing, and speak Chinese (not fluently), before I didn’t speak up when I was speaking in Mandarin. Now it is much different. Also, most of the places that we went to, I had already seen, but it was different this time, because I actually learned more about the history and culture behind the place. Overall, the camp is really great to make friends from around the world that are in the same situation as you. They are learning Chinese, and are interested in the culture. It is a fun experience!

Meret
swiss

Recommendation for That’s Mandarin

That’s Mandarin was recommended to me through a friend. From the start I was attracted to the option to take one-on-one classes and improving both my spoken and written Chinese. And my goals were largely exceeded. I progressed fast and acquired a thorough level of Chinese. This year I returned to Beijing mainly to take classes at That’s Mandarin again.
Learning Chinese at this school is also a pleasure. It is so motivating to have a smart, kind and attentive teacher to make conversation with you and adapt to your individual language needs. Beyond the classroom, the teacher community at That’s Mandarin creates a very friendly and helpful environment. The atmosphere at the school is pleasant and lively.
I fully recommend That’s Mandarin to anyone wishing to improve or start learning Chinese. No matter what level you have, That’s Mandarin is the right choice. You can individually decide together with your teacher where you want to put the focus to really get the most out of your classes.

other

Gideon
beijing

Great Experience with That's Mandarin

When you walk in the door of Thats Mandarin you are greeted by the smell of fresh tea and the sound of friendly voices, who are they you may ask? They are the people who take you on an journey through not just chinese language but the very culture itself. The teachers are friendly and knowledgeable, making the most perplexing chinese vocabulary intelligible to anyone. The school creates a friendly and genuinely enjoyable learning environment making learning Chinese less of a chore and more of a hobby. Learning Chinese at Thats Mandarin is something I would highly recommend to anyone.

Feng
美国

Great experience at That's Mandarin!

I highly recommend studying Chinese at That's Mandarin. My husband and I both took 1-1 classes this summer at the Beijing campus and thoroughly enjoyed it. We decided​ on the school after contacting several others and each doing a trial class. We found the sales process much more pleasant than others (less immediate pressure) and were impressed with the offering, including the ability to create customized curriculum with our teachers.
Personally, I found the school to be professional and well run. They've​ developed their own methodology, course materials, and accompanying software including a mobile app. They were very flexible with us when we needed to change some class times to accommodate weekend travel. I also found the teachers to be extremely knowledgeable, professional, yet personable. Every teacher has their own style but all teachers apply the same methodology. I found this to be very helpful as I was introduced to different speaking and composition styles. Lastly, and most importantly for me, I really​ had a blast getting to know all of the staff there. During class and on breaks, we discussed in Chinese everything from pop culture to politics, and I am even leaving with a stash of Chinese "dad jokes" :-D I can't thank That's Mandarin enough for this experience. If you are considering studying in China, I would definitely recommend them!

James
King's College London

Chinese lessons

That's Mandarin are the best Chinese school i have ever been to! My laoshi is always prepared for my lessons and ensures the structure is engaging and fun but also tailored to the issues that I want my learning to focus on. The main office has also been very helpful if I want to change any lessons. Finally, the online portal which has all the materials from your lessons plus more helps you to stay on top of your Chinese. I would certainly recommend That's Mandarin to all my friends!

Mike
China

Overall good private school

That’s Mandarin offers a unique approach for studying Chinese, putting much consideration into the student’s needs and goals and building custom-made plans accordingly. The teachers are very nice, always smiling and creating a good atmosphere. Each teacher puts much effort in preparing the lessons, trying to find the most suitable contents for the students and delivering it in a coherent way. In fact, many of the students keep in touch with their teachers even after they finish their studies. The school’s atmosphere is also quite nice, offering the students a large space for self-studying, chatting, drinking coffee and tea. The overall experience I have in the school is very positive and my language skills have remarkably improved.

Roxanne
St Mary's University College

Learning Chinese - a fantastic experience

Being in China for a few years and having picked up the basics I decided it was time to try a new experience in a school. I noticed That's Mandarin when I was cycling past one day and decide to pop in. They were informative, welcoming and from the start I felt right at home. I was able to have an hour trial lesson to see if I liked it and here we are 60 lessons later. Having three hours a week and two teachers helped me to make links between the vocabulary I was learning and both focused on different skills. They communicated throughout and were amazing at gauging my mood and ability to focus during each lesson. Thanks to the flexibility, understanding and fantastic teaching approaches my Chinese improved a great deal this year and I am keen to carry on with the online course when I return to England in the summer. Thank you Wen and Guo Laoshi, I will miss you!!

Mihaela
Shanghai

Make great progress

My 老师 is so much fun and easygoing. She's also great at creating good sets of notes on the fly, as we chat. She has a good feel for when to write down a word and stick in an example, and when to pass up so as not to overwhelm me. Just right. She's lively, interested in what's going on in my life, and easy-going while still teaching me quite a lot. The environment here is very cozy and warm, everyone would say hi to each other. Just love it.

Robbie
Shanghai

Great Experience with That's Mandarin

My children and I took classes at That’s Mandarin in Shanghai. I was a complete beginner and learned quite a bit from the excellent and patient instructors. My children also had very good instruction and had the opportunity to go on several field trips with their instructors to practice their Chinese. I would recommend That’s Mandarin to anyone looking to start learning or strengthen their Mandarin skills.

Austin
Chicago
Eastern Illinois University

That's Mandarin Beijing

Before That's Mandarin, I never seemed to be able to find a method that would help me learn Chinese. I tried books, listening, and even 1-on-1 tutoring, but the methods never matched with my strengths. That's Mandarin brings a new and innovated way to teach their students. I am a teacher myself and really enjoy their methods and resources. The school offers a wide range of programs, that will fit anyone's schedule.

Continue offering different programs to all of the students.

Kunal
Manchester
University of Oxford

Learn Chinese at That's Mandarin Beijing

"That's Mandarin" is a fantastic place to learn Chinese whether you are joining as an absolute beginner or (my case) with basic/intermediate Chinese under your belt. The teacher's are excellent and quickly identify your development needs (e.g. reading, listening, grammar etc) and tailor classes to suit you (e.g. conversational or business Chinese). The facilities are also excellent with TVs in every class room to watch films/listen to podcasts, and a print out at the end of the class of all the new words and grammar from that day.

"That's Mandarin" relies on its web portal to provide students with example texts and listening exercises, rather than providing text books. Those wanting a more traditional structure to teaching may prefer having a text book method to teaching.

Victoria
Düsseldorf-Germany

Learning Chinese made easy

Learning Mandarin is a real challenge for Westerners. There is the difficult pronunciation with four different tones, words you cannot relate to any other language spoken in the West and of course the Chinese characters. But with the help of "That's Mandarin" you will be able to understand and speak Chinese very quickly. Professional language teachers design and prepare lessons according to your personal language level, aims, and difficulties. This way, you get the best support and guidance enabling you to master daily situations in China, be it in a restaurant, in the subway or on your working place.
If you take courses on a regularly basis and are keen to learn your vocabularies you will make great progress very fast. Therefore, although "That's Mandarin" might be a bit pricey compared to offers of other language schools, I highly recommend it.

Jeff
USA
University of Nebraska- Kearney

Filling Holes

I've lived in China for four years, and I had a basic survival level in Mandarin. That is, I could speak certain phrases to buy some of the foods in restaurants I wanted and some I just bought because I knew the word for it. I could count money and tell a taxi driver which way to go by grunting at him. The problem was, as soon as someone spoke to me, I wouldn't be able to understand what they said. It was like there were endless possibilities of subjects they could be talking about or something. Anyway, I only understood certain words. There were serious holes in my ability to communicate with the world around me. That's Mandarin filled those holes. No doubt, I can actually hold a conversation with people now. Of course, I'm not fluent, yet, but I'm far better than I was just 80 lessons ago.

The only thing I can think of to improve the program would be to open a new center in the Wangjing district of Beijing! ;-P (That way, it would be closer to where I live.)

Greg
Canberra
Australian National University

My favourite part of being in Beijing

I've been in Beijing for more than four years and during that time going to regular classes at That's Mandarin has been one of most favourite things. The teachers are so friendly and patient, the class times are so flexible, the class content is well structured and interesting and the school environment is warm and welcoming (and there's coffee!). Most importantly, my mandarin has improved so much since I started studying there. I definitely recommend TM to my friends

Gerrit
Northeim

That´s Mandarin Experience in Beijing

That´s Mandarin is a great Chinese School. Since I am studying Mandarin at the Beijing Campus, my Chinese has improved a lot. For me it is a big help that I don´t have to take notes during class, but the teacher is directly typing all the new words into the online learning platform. All my materials are then available over the Mandarin Café APP, very convenient!
Due to work reasons, I just take one-to-one lessons. My teacher is very nice and competent. Scheduling and Cancelling lessons is very easy process and That´s Mandarin staff always shows a great amount of flexibility when putting together a schedule. The Beijing campus provides a very pleasant environment for learning Chinese. And when having a break, water, tea and coffee are there for free. So, this school is an excellent place if you want to study Mandarin and make real progress.
Gerrit

Stephanie
Vienna

A Successful Way to Lean Mandarin

My experience at That's Mandarin has been amazing. I have had four weeks of 1-on-1 classes and they have been really enjoyable and successful. I learned quite a lot, more than what I would have expected of myself in such a short amount of time. I now feel secure when having to talk to someone in Mandarin.
Also, the teachers are really great and know how to teach such a complex language. The great thing was that I had 4 different teachers, so I got used to hearing more than just one person talk. Otherwise, I would just get used to just one person speaking. They were eager to answer any questions I had, whether it concerned the actual topic or something more general.
The online tool Mandarin Cafe is great. Besides having my personal notes from class and the printed ones from the teachers, I can always go and review them online. Printing them again is also possible.

I cannot think of anything which should be improved.

That’s Mandarin is China’s leading Chinese Language School delivering quality lessons to 3000+ students each year. Study Chinese in Beijing, Shanghai, online or at your location.

WHY CHOOSE THAT’S MANDARIN?
We offer only the best Chinese lessons for you with a unique and innovative approach